Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E08: Week 8

• Start Topic

As we enter week 8 and the quarter finals, “Dancing with the Stars” brings in yet another guest judge to liven things up. This time it will be “Dance Moms’s” Abby Lee Miller. Other features of the evening include the first ever ‘Celebrity Dance Duel’ and Mark Ballas debuting his new single, “Get My Name.”

(edited)

Why do I feel that Amy is trying to ratchet up the sympathy factor?

Because she is? And she (Amy) has a bitch face on so far tonight. I'm not a fan of either.

I knew as soon as Meryl and Maks started their dance they were going to get 36 because it was a contemporary and not a rhumba. And Maks should know better than that. That said I really liked their dance.

And I don't care for Abby Lee Miller. How do you give constructive criticism and a 10 to Charlie and constructive criticism and an 8 to Meryl. Somthing's not quite adding up. Maks was probably wrong to comment to her, she seems vindictive enough to make him pay for it later.

Loved loved loved Danica and Val's number. And I can't wait to see what the Chmerkovsky brothers come up with for the duel dance.

And I thought Charlie's Quickstep was fantastic and well deserving of 10s. Good for him.

I hope it's okay to post during the show! I saw someone do it last week. If not, my apologies!

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3

I was surprised when it was announced thar Meryl & Maks were doing the Rumba. My first thought was contemporary.

And I love me some Maks, but he can be a total ass sometimes. I knew it from the moment that Carrie Ann said there wasn't enough Rumba.

(edited)

I Ioved Meryl and Maks' rhumba.  Don't care what the judges say, I will be voting for them again;

That said, although I hate her and she is a beast, Abby Lee Miller's comments had some validity.  I didn't notice it, but if Meryl's feet were sickled and not pointed, that is a flaw that she needs to work on.

ETA:  Foxtrot and Candace are boring.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1
Maks is a jerk. I'm no Abby fan, but his comment was off base. Why can't he just be gracious ?

What was his comment? I stepped out of the room for a second when they went up to the skybox and came back to the crowd all oohing and aahing and Maks looking irritated and Abby shrugging her shoulders. By the way, I noticed Derek clapping hard in the back to whatever Maks said. Guess he's still not a fan since their war on twitter. Should be interesting when Amy dances. 

Btw, speaking of Maks and Meryl, I was getting ready to rage at Carrie Ann about her bias if she didn't call out that that dance was not a rumba. Poor Peta worked her ass off and she gave Charlie a 7, claiming the dance was not a rumba. As far as I'm concerned, she was wrong, Charlie's rumba had more rumba steps than Maks and Meryl's dance. I missed the beginning and for a moment was sure the spoilers had been wrong and Maks and Meryl had contemporary instead of rumba.

Liked Candace's dance and I get the look and feel Mark was going for but those ugly shoes were really driving me crazy. Missed Danica and Val which is not a good sign of how not interested in her I am. I totally called the B3. I can see James going home because of Peta's strip tease performance last week. Seems ludicrous but shows like this, where people have to be determined to vote for hours for you, the slightest thing that turns them off can hurt you. I continue to adore Charlie and I liked his QS but anyone else think that 40 was almost a pity 40...just me?

What was his comment? I stepped out of the room for a second when they went up to the skybox and came back to the crowd all oohing and aahing and Maks looking irritated and Abby shrugging her shoulders. By the way, I noticed Derek clapping hard in the back to whatever Maks said. Guess he's still not a fan since their war on twitter. Should be interesting when Amy dances. 

Erin asked Maks what he thought of Abby's comments. Maks responded that he "didn't care about what she had to say." 

I was fine with that, he was asked a question and that's his answer.  From what I understand Derek and Abby had issues in the past, so I assume that he agreed with Maks's comment.

I continue to adore Charlie and I liked his QS but anyone else think that 40 was almost a pity 40...just me?

I think it was either a pity 40 or the story of his redemption arc that they're starting up this week.

(edited)

That was damn incredible. However, something went wonky towards the end. I think there was a trick that didn't quite go off as it should have but damn I'm saying, the girl can dance. And not "a good dancer for a double amputee" but a just a damn good dancer period. And smart choreography Derek - that stool move was totally a clever way to get Amy to rest her back in the middle of the dance. Also, Abby's ass kissing to Derek was hilarious because I swear his look said, "yeah I still don't like you..."

Erin asked Maks what he thought of Abby's comments. Maks responded that he "didn't care about what she had to say."

Got it, thanks. He looked pretty pissed off right after she spoke and like he wanted to say something but Tom pulled the mike away because I think he got distracted by Bruno.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

The show is totally pushing Amy for the win.  I think she's amazing but I vote for the best dancer.  In this season, Meryl.  Plus King Derek doesn't deserve yet another win.

• Love 5
(edited)

Meryl is the highest scoring contestant period. She got 9's and 10's for a rumba that was imo, not a rumba (not counting Abby's 8 because that was just like some weird drama between her and Maks), she's getting perfect scores like it ain't no thing, almost every rehearsal package is about her and Maks' amazing bond, connection, etc. I don't see how Amy getting props when she came out and danced her heart out means the show is pushing a win for her.

What else is there really that they aren't doing for Meryl, that they can do? Tonight was another example imo in what some have said in the past about Maks and his choreography - Meryl is an amazing dancer but that was not a rumba and Maks knows better. And still, were it not for Abby on the panel, she'd have gotten only 10's and 9's. This after Carrie Ann gave poor Charlie a 7 because she decided his rumba was not a rumba. 

This is awkward. I feel like maybe Abby is trying very hard to pretend she knows more about dance than she does and the Pros are calling it out. Val looked like he had no clue what the hell she was talking about there. I liked Meryl and Danica's costumes but I hate Danica's hair. Also I thought they were competing against each other but they basically just get one score? So how is that a duel?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

The show is totally pushing Amy for the win.  I think she's amazing but I vote for the best dancer.  In this season, Meryl.  Plus King Derek doesn't deserve yet another win.

Nah.  They're still pushing Maks and Meryl for the win.

• Love 1
(edited)

A week or two ago CAI said to Amy :"when you win".  May have been a slip but I think the show is pushing her.  I agree with you though that Meryl is deservedly the front runner.

ETA:  I just love the fact that we can comment on the show while it is still on, unlike the previous website that shall not be named.  (TPWTSNBN.)

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not sure how to quote on an iPad, but..."The show is totally pushing Amy for the win. I think she's amazing but I vote for the best dancer. In this season, Meryl. Plus King Derek doesn't deserve yet another win."

Yep, yep. Amy is an incredible story and I like her a lot but she is not the best dancer, and without Derek's admittedly incredible choreo, she'd be sunk.

Abby Lee Miller is one frightful bitch.

Each week I find Maks more and more attractive and I feel dirty about it. His face when his grandmother walked in was priceless.

Smart choreo by sharna and Mark by utilizing the fact that Charlie can lift right along with the male pros. Candace and charlie had great chemistry! Surprised me a bit, since that tends to be the knock on him (was the big knock on him and Meryl).

Edited by againstthewind
  • Love 2

One thing I hate more than anything is when the judges do decide to give constructive criticism, the crowd starts booing so no one can hear them. I believe all of the people who are left want to improve and are ok with constructive criticism. It's the "that wasn't special" comments that bug.

Obviously both Val and Maks don't care for ALM's comments on dance style. Ballroom is different but there are some aspects that are the same and ALM needs to concentrate on those aspects.

• Love 1

Wow, hard to choose between the pairs tonight.  Candace and Charlie were amazing,  She gazed soulfully into his eyes--more of a connection than with Mark.  What 40-something woman wouldn't feel soulful gazing into the eyes of the gorgeous world ice-dancing champion?

• Love 1
Smart choreo by sharna and Mark by utilizing the fact that Charlie can lift right along with the male pros. Candace and charlie had great chemistry! Surprised me a bit, since that tends to be the knock on him (was the big knock on him and Meryl).

Yeah, great point that he can lift as well or better than the pros.  Better.  None of them have won Olympic Gold.

(edited)

Wow, hard to choose between the pairs tonight.  Candace and Charlie were amazing,  She gazed soulfully into his eyes--more of a connection than with Mark.  What 40-something woman wouldn't feel soulful gazing into the eyes of the gorgeous world ice-dancing champion?

I loved that Candace and Charlie were cheating on Mark and Sharna. That was a really nice dance though and I totally did not see whatever slip happened with Sharna so I think they deserved their 10's. It's odd about Candace, for all her mental issues, she just seems to bring it for contemporary dances. It's like that dance is the only one she truly draws from her acting experience and really performs the dance. Loved Amy and James' jive. 

Totally called that (I am good...) I just never thought Danica was drawing in votes. Man poor Val, two seasons in a row he's had celebrities who could dance but just didn't have the fanbase. Oh well. Also, Peta looked like she was about to break into tears and pass out. That was actually kind of funny.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
(edited)

Charlie and Candace were fantastic!

Why did no one comment on Amy's bobble with the chair?

ETA - sorry to see Danica go. I really like her and thought she was a good dancer.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 1

Len was quite obvious in his body language -- he'd turn his shoulder on Abby when she started her comments.  She seemed to have it in for Meryl tonight, now didn't she?  It was bizarre how she went from nitpicking Meryl to 10 for being sexy to James.

I thought that the samba music for Danica and Meryl (the awful JLo Luh Ya Papi song) made it impossible to find the bounce.  There was very little discernible rhythm in that version of it. 

I'm still a little flummoxed -- did they really give Amy a perfect score for Derek voguing around her head while she sat on a stool?

• Love 4

Ignored the judge's comments and scoring for the most part.

Charlie and Sharna came across great.  Val and Danica and Maks and Meryl promised to be spectacular, but really were just OK. Can't get over how restrained Mark has been this season--to Candice's benefit. Maybe because he got to sing? I didn't think his number was terrible. James looked good in the waltz--that is, his dancing looked a bit better. To me he's still the weakest of those remaining. And Peta was positively covered up, appropriately.  Derek and Amy were OK, too.  Nice work with the stool, I grudgingly admit, even if the one bit towards the end evidently didn't work. Looks like we're going to get them in the finals, doesn't it?

I know they're trying to tweak the show, but the dance duel?  Eh.  I did enjoy them to an extent.  Mark and Sharna did come up with some better than usual for this show contemporary choreography .  I think Charlie struggled just a little with the lift sequence, which was gutsy for them to try. While James did pretty well with Amy.  And Grandmother Chmerkovsky is adorable.

And yep, tired of the showmance stuff.

James should have gone before Danica.

How tall is Erin???

• Love 1

Peta can not disguise her emotions, she looked like she was about to vomit all over the stage. Probably because she won't get to grind over James after they are eliminated.

Amy killed it in her second dance...I'm just predisposed to side-eye her because of the kid gloves the judges are handling her with (through none of her own doing). I personally preferred Candace and Charlie...they generated more chemistry together than either did with their original partners.

• Love 2

Charlie's dances were so good tonight! Loved his chemistry with Candace. James is cute but I'm surprised he's still around! Candace has come a long way. Would love to see her, charlie and Meryl as the final 3.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh, I'm bummed that Danica left. I felt bad for her. When the show was milking the Chmerkovskiy rivalry, it felt like she got the short end of the stick with all the fawning over Meryl. In the Chmerkovskiy sandwich, Val and Maks were the two slices of bread, Meryl was the meat, and Danica was the lettuce.

Abby Lee sucks, but so does Maks, so I was rolling my eyes at his response to Erin's question. He sounded like such a petulant baby. And maybe before he starts lecturing people about being condescending, he should stop being such a douche in general.

...Derek's going to get into the finals again, isn't he? The fawning is getting nauseating. And then he'll be the only one to put together a halfway competent freestyle, while Maks brings out a bed. I swear to god, if Maks fucks up the freestyle for Meryl... The judges are totally handling Amy and Derek with kid gloves, but I have a feeling that when it comes to the freestyle, Maks won't do anything to help Meryl's cause. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yes Amy got a perfect score on a dance where she sat through part of it and a stunt got messed up because Amy must win this season and they'll do anything to see it happen. She's definitely not getting judged like everyone else. Just my opinion. YMMV

How is Danica going home and stompy James is sticking around? I don't get that at all.

Glad the Abby Lee Miller experiment is done. Can she never ever come back?

Personally I think Meryl was underscored tonight but I freely admit I don't see straight when it comes to her. Or Danica but her scores don't matter anymore. The rhumba score was fair if you don't count Abby but the team dance was low. I don't see how you can judge a dance like the samba together when the styles of the celebs are so different. It was like setting them both up to fail and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But, again, disclaimer, I don't see straight when it comes to Meryl because I like her so much.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 5
Why did no one comment on Amy's bobble with the chair?

... because she's Derek's partner?

.... because "she's such an inspiration to so many"?

... or better yet, because we know TPTB pissed off Derek by bringing in that guest judge, so no one was allowed to critique him or Amy in the slightest.

Pick whichever one seems to suit things the best.  I shook my head and actually said "bullshit" when Carrie Anne said she was going to deduct for a foot being off the floor, but somehow she wouldn't deduct when Amy did the same thing.  These celebrities have very thick skin because if it was me, at the very least I'd be shaking my head in disbelief with the unfairness of the judges' scoring system.

Derek's Argentine Tango was okay, but had it been anyone else they would have gotten tinged for having the stool there.  Isn't it also convenient that in this tango you are allowed to have lifts?  Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely dance, but the double standard was very obvious to me and I didn't like it.

• Love 6

Two things that greatly amused me tonight:

1. Bruno telling Abbie Lee Miller within the first five minutes of the show.

2. Len's face whenever ALM spoke. It was such a look of "ugh, shut up bitch".

Not surprised Danica left. The brothers chmirkovsky did her no favors in the group dance tonight - they clearly choreographed to Meryl's ability, and poor Danica just couldn't keep up.

Mark's face when ALM said that she would've dropped Candice was priceless. He looked like he wasn't sure how to respond to that, and trying to figure out how hard he was about to fight.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, Maks brought the asshole tonight didn't he? 

I don't care if he doesn't like ALM, who does? - but take it up with the producers you jackass and not on live TV because you make your partner look bad  since you think you've got this in the bag.  Sorry to tell you Maks but your bitchass attitude there and in the duo rehearsal towards both women is going to bite Meryl in the vote-ass.

I'm sorry to see Danica go because I like Val but someone had to and that duo dance seemed like a mess to me.

Loved, loved, loved Charlie and Candace, they were fun and relaxed and I thought they did a great job.  Those two will be getting all of my votes from now on.

I like Amy and think she's amazing, but I'm not liking emo-Amy right now.  Not necessary. I did love her duo dance and thought she and James did a really good job.

I think Candace is doing so much better because it's like she has nothing to lose since she has gotten this far, now with Danica gone, I'll bet she improves even more with the ridiculous "rivalry" done. 

-

So while I know it's never going to happen, I'd love to see Candace make the finals - but I really want Charlie to win.

Edited by Bavct
  • Love 3

Not surprised by tonight's elimination at all and not all that worked up about it. Danica was generally a better dancer than Candace but I really do love Candace's spirit and she danced well for her tonight. If I had to choose between one of them, I'd rather watch another week of Candace. Danica was very sweet and classy in her departure as well. 

This is the 2nd week in a row that I think James has actually been pretty bad. He seemed like he was stomping around that dance floor, it didn't seem at all graceful  enough to be a Viennese Waltz. I hope he goes next. He bores me and Peta looks like she is ready to have a nervous breakdown every week. Also, for all their talk about their amazing chemistry, I just don't see it. 

Charlie's Quickstep and Charlie and Candace's duel dance were my favorites tonight. 

I liked Maks and Meryl's dance but agree that it was too contemporary. And good for Maks for saying what every other pro dancer was thinking up there (as evidenced by Derek's enthusiastic, instant applause). The judges looked like they wanted to club Abby with her own paddles. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm ok with Danica going simply because she's injured, and her injury is worse than Amy's, although you wouldn't know it from the media. If we were going by dancing ability then it probably should have been James but really, I don't dislike any of the final 6.

I should have clarified that I'm worried that Danica could injure herself worse. It just seems like such an unnecessary risk for a tv show.

Edited by bearcatfan
  • Love 5

Ugh, I just don't think I can take it if Derek wins for a third season in a row.

Surprisingly, I have warmed back up to Mark for the first time since Kristi's season, I think.  

• Love 2

Ugh, I just don't think I can take it if Derek wins for a third season in a row.

Surprisingly, I have warmed back up to Mark for the first time since Kristi's season, I think.  

For all the talk about how Meryl has made Maks better, blah, blah, blah, I actually think Candace has been even better for Mark. He's never bothered me as much as he's bothered some others but he has never been my favorite either. This season I find him really likable and I appreciate that he is tailoring their routines to her strengths and her comfort level.

• Love 7

I think Maks' style works really well for someone like Meryl - someone who is a professional athlete but seems very level headed (unlike Hope Solo). I feel like someone that isn't used to the pressure cooker environment wouldn't respond - you kind of got the feeling Danica would be in tears the whole time working with him and heaven help him with Amy. As abrasive as he can come across, he was dead right about Abby Lee. She is the worst.

I threw all my votes M/Ms way this week although it looks like Amy is going to win because she can do no wrong.

• Love 4

Dictionary says Rumba and Rhumba are both correct.  

They knock Charlie for the cane, and don't dock Amy for the chair?  Also, I think that Derek is really limiting Amy. How many weeks in a row has he used the fog machine?  

• Love 6
I don't care if he doesn't like ALM, who does?

lol...

I feel like because of some of the feelings and opinions about Derek, his celebrities sometimes don't get their due because they are paired with him. It happened with Amber and it's happening with Amy. I have a feeling no matter how much Amy truly dances and works her butt off, her efforts will be dismissed as "they're treating her with kid gloves and she's paired with the golden boy so they won't critique her." I don't think Amy's scores are unfair. In my opinion, the only ones who are truly better dancers than Amy is Meryl and Charlie and for Meryl tonight, one can blame Maks and his "not a rumba" for her score.

• Love 2

Totally agree about Mark! I actually like him alot this season!!

You mean Derek "the Legend"?? Gag, barf, puke!

• Love 2

What an absolute mess.

Poor Meryl, she breaks her toe, cuts her back and gets bruised all over trying to perfect an Argentine Tango that wasn't deemed perfect, when apparently all she had to do was sit on a stool while her partner danced around her. I wouldn't vote for Amy if my life depended on it.

Charlie's 40 was a sympathy 40, no doubt about it. That was a pretty ordinary quickstep.

I see Abby Lee took over Carrie Ann's role as the desperate horny cougar. A 10 for James with his bent knees and slouching posture? Please.

They should have really had the couples dance the same dance in that celebrity dance challenge fuckery mess.

Ugh, I'm so upset at the show tonight.

• Love 6
(edited)
I feel like because of some of the feelings and opinions about Derek, his celebrities sometimes don't get their due because they are paired with him.

Don't worry, the judges more than make up for Derek and Amy's "lack of due" on the message boards with their constant ass-kissing. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3