Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: A Skinner, Darkly

• Start Topic

Hey, Erik Knudsen! 

Nerd training was fun. I didn't guess it was a VR simulation. Zeph is almost as smart as Johnny for spotting that.

D'avin continues to be hilarious. 

I missed Fancy, Pree and Alvis in this ep.

So, Delle Seyah Kendry - I guess the bitch is back. And she'll be spilling everything about Dutch to Aneela. That can't end well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

So, Delle Seyah Kendry - I guess the bitch is back. And she'll be spilling everything about Dutch to Aneela. That can't end well.

Not 100% sure. I think Delle Seyah kind of has a thing for Dutch. She may not be entirely forthright.

Nice workaround for actress availability.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Snarkette said:

Not 100% sure. I think Delle Seyah kind of has a thing for Dutch. She may not be entirely forthright.

Nice workaround for actress availability.

WTF? Seriously, Ollie was a skin of Clara?!?!? Way to confuse the shit.  I guess they needed to close the Clara story and move on.  Yeah, Knudsen, is now in a new series since "Continuum" is finished. (loved Rachel Nichols in that badass suit, Knudsen, not so much) This show is trying to fit a six-pack into a 48 ouncer. I love the energy it brings, but they should slow down. Like. I said before, they need an army and I guess the Hackmods will be part of their army but stop with the short strokes already.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2
(edited)

Finally, Killjoys returns to normal.  IE, Johnny is back on Lucy.

Ok, Dutch is the bomb, but why do they continue to have every single person in the Quad consider her either a great friend - despite the short amount of actual time spent in her presence - or totally lusting after her?  Zeph:  "I'd follow you anywhere!  *Dutch cringes*  Sorry.  Too honest."  This whole gag started losing its luster early on last season, yet its still keeps happening.  More eye-roll inducing than humorous now.

Ollie = mind-fracked & skin-jobbed Clara.   One way to erase all doubt of possibly seeing Ms Leonidas this season (on Killjoys).

TBiB; Delle Seyah Kendry.   Must have been because her hair was down and lack of makeup, but she looked different tonight.  Not bad, certainly, just not quite the same appearance as usual.

Weird, but interesting, that they had HJ-K tweak her voice for the Aneela part.  Guess its so we won't confuse who's speaking when they 'face off' later?

Please tell me the 'sexual tension' and 'he's into you' bits when speaking of D'avin (& Dutch) is not their way of starting to try and rekindle that disaster of a "relationship" from S1.   I'm a Du/J shipper (as everyone knows) but even if I weren't, HJ-K & LM just don't have the chemistry to make a romance work.  [jmo]   Just the thought of it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

TBiB; Delle Seyah Kendry.   Must have been because her hair was down and lack of makeup, but she looked different tonight.  Not bad, certainly, just not quite the same appearance as usual.

Wait, are you trying to tell me that those two are the same????

Aneela's ship ..................... is huge. And it was surrounded by what looked like hundreds of Hullen ships.  Sorry Lucy, but I think Dutch/Johnny/D'avin are going to need a bigger boat. And a lot more people than the Geek Squad to take Aneela down.

• Love 4

I remember reading an Anne McAffrey book called Restoree as a child about a woman who was skinned and then given replacement skin. It was one of my favourites but the idea of wearing someone else's skin is really creepy.

I don't really get the purpose of it if they are using it to impersonate specific people. They would need the same height and body type, they would have to alter the bone structure to make the skin fit properly. It seems like a lot of effort for not much benefit. 

• Love 3

So, Ollie was actually Clara this entire time, who was "skinned" and had her memory wiped by her friend, due to causing too many waves and whatnot.  I guess that's one way to cover if the original actress can't come back!  I do hope they find some way to eventually get original Clara back, since I do love me some Stephanie Leonidas.  Overall, a decent subplot, but I'm glad John is done with it for now and has gone back to the gang.  Dutch and D'Avin need him!  And Lucy too!

Since they did let her live, I'm guessing Niko will come back into play later on.

Dutch and D'Avin's little "audition with new nerds" mission was fun.  Took me a while to place Erik Knudsen with that hilariously bad hair/wig, but it's cool to see him.  Had a feeling though that the woman "nerd" was going to end up being the most important one, so her figuring out that it was all a virtual simulation and impressing Dutch wasn't too surprising.  I'm guessing they'll all be back, although I really can't think of anything the non-Erik Knudsen guy nerd brought to the table.  Even if he didn't predict the simulation, Knudsen's nerd at least talked Dutch through getting that power back on.

Biggest laugh was Dutch and D'Avin's high-five after their whole "Sure, we ended up causing that computer with all that important info to blow up, but at least no one else can get it!" response to Turin.  It's fun watching them both acting like irresponsible kids, while Turin has somehow become the disappointed parent of the group.

Delle Seyah!  Of course, she's not only still alive, but now on Aneela's ship.  And we see more of Aneela, who judging from first impressions, loves her black lipstick and loves taking baths in that green goo.  I can already tell I'm going to enjoy watching Hannah John-Kamen camping it up in this role.

(edited)
15 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Okay, I re-watched the ending and I now see what you were talking about. I must have not been paying attention because she did NOT look like the DSK we saw in the past. Again with the difference in skin tone. I hardly recognized her. This begs the question of her inclusion on Aneela's  ship.  What happened to The Nine? We're they always a part of Aneela's plans?

Edited by Jacks-Son
(edited)

To be honest, I was a bit bored with this one. I missed Fancy and Alvis. The skinning plot did not make much sense but it was a nice work-around so I'll give them that. As for the last scenes: I only knew that was Delle Seyah Kendry because I was spoiled about that part. The actress was normally dolled up to the Nines. Also the lighting on Aneela's ship is really harsh she should invest in a candle-light setting. But I'm glad the band is back together.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

she should invest in a candle-light setting

Yeah... I dunno about the wisdom of putting oxygen-burning carbon-monoxide producing fires aboard her ship that travels for long times in the airless void.  But maybe lava lamps?

It could have gone either way.  Consider this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/navy-bans-smoking-submarines/story?id=10311969

Roll that around in your head for a while.  The smoking ban on subs took effect Dec. 31, 2010.  So, for the previous decades, people were allowed to light up and fill the closed metal tube that had a finite supply of breathable air with toxic fumes while said tube traveled deep underwater.  So, candles on a spaceship?  Not all that outlandish by comparison.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't stop to really think about it until I read it in a review, but what a weird way to gloss over D'avin's entering the Hullen ship at the end of the hour last week, but not even a slight follow-up scene about it in this episode.  They even had Turin point-blank say that they still hadn't figured out how to enter the ships, let alone use them.

Possible that the "D'avin" we saw last week a skin-job?  Not a true skin-job, but someone else's skin used to make whoever look exactly like D'avin??

ETA:  According to Ms Lovretta [in the review-interview done with TV Junkies], we're going to get the resolution to what happened in that little scene from 3.1 next week.

Added bit about ML

"A prosciutto party without the melon"

Both hilarious and gross. 

24 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Possible that the "D'avin" we saw last week a skin-job? 

Ooh, that's a good guess. 

So many great lines. I continue to love this show. 

I figured out the twist but it was a clever workaround. Short of regeneration I can't think of many more effective ways to replace an actor. 

I am excited the team is back together after Johnny's side quest. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, The Companion said:

I figured out the twist but it was a clever workaround. Short of regeneration I can't think of many more effective ways to replace an actor. 

Works for Doctor Who, but most shows just go with the old plastic surgery routine. Or flat out replace the actor and hope no one notices. Hey, it worked for "Bewitched". (Well people did notice, but back then, nobody gave a shit) They replaced the son in "The Strain" and gave us this kid that no one liked and hoped he got turned.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Works for Doctor Who, but most shows just go with the old plastic surgery routine. Or flat out replace the actor and hope no one notices. Hey, it worked for "Bewitched". (Well people did notice, but back then, nobody gave a shit) They replaced the son in "The Strain" and gave us this kid that no one liked and hoped he got turned.

They've replaced several actors in Game of Thrones, sometimes with actors who look nothing like the original actor! (Daario, Beric Donderrion)

12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

And we see more of Aneela, who judging from first impressions, loves her black lipstick and loves taking baths in that green goo.  I can already tell I'm going to enjoy watching Hannah John-Kamen camping it up in this role.

Yes! and I do like that she changed her voice (and accent too?) for Aneela; she sounded a lot different from Dutch. That was a cool-looking ship.

I was really hoping now that Johnny's back (yay!) that they wouldn't keep the "nerds" on, but it looks like the annoying girl nerd is still there next week. I find her really irritating. 

34 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I was really hoping now that Johnny's back (yay!) that they wouldn't keep the "nerds" on, but it looks like the annoying girl nerd is still there next week. I find her really irritating. 

Knudsen is okay, but the actor seems like he doesn't have much range. He's basically the same dull character he was in "Continuum". The NOT!Knudsen nerd is a waste of space. The female nerd probably has the most potential, and she shows initiative and guts, but she needs to lose that hero-worship of Dutch because like Dutch said, it makes her appear to be a weirdo, and a brown nose. 

• Love 1

Took me a while to place Erik Knudsen with that hilariously bad hair/wig, but it's cool to see him.

Me too. At first I thought it was the kid who played Odd Thomas. Thank goodness for IMBD.

So glad the team is back together but, man, there are a lot of Hullen!

43 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Still, the question remains, what about the S1 story of the 9 royal families? Are they affiliated with the Hullen?

I doubt they're affiliated, but they've probably been infiltrated and/or manipulated to so degree or another.

I admit I kind of liked that last little talk between Zeph and Dutch and I'm glad the previews indicate that we'll be seeing Kelly McCormack as Zeph again.

I think even more than Zeph spotting the simulation as what it was and Zeph's expertise in organic science, Dutch was impressed that Zeph had the confidence and courage of her own convictions to the point of Zeph risking her own life (as far as she potentially knew) to finish the stated mission (and end the simulation).  I think that while Dutch respects the idea of "get everyone out alive" she also knows that there may well come a time when the "mission" really is important enough to take precedence over that.  As such, she wants somebody like Zeph (and herself) with the stones to do what has to be done.

It's kind of telling that while "the boys" were read into the "war" off-screen by Turin and Da'vin, Zeph was brought in onscreen by Dutch, who is basically John Conner in the fight against the Hullen.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, solea said:

"A prosciutto party without the melon"

Both hilarious and gross. 

That was wonderful.

I was annoyed by the “It was a all a sim!” fakeout. Reminds me of the Star Trek episodes where it was revealed that the whole episode happened on the holo deck. It’s reality twice removed, which feels like cheating by the writers.

Speaking of Star Trek, I am fascinated by the direction the proto-borg society is taking. Try not to form a hive mind in your new colony, k?

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, marinw said:

That was wonderful.

I was annoyed by the “It was a all a sim!” fakeout. Reminds me of the Star Trek episodes where it was revealed that the whole episode happened on the holo deck. It’s reality twice removed, which feels like cheating by the writers.

Speaking of Star Trek, I am fascinated by the direction the proto-borg society is taking. Try not to form a hive mind in your new colony, k?

I was okay with the sim reveal because the show gave the audience the same clues that the characters got.  It also worked as a way to show Zeph as perhaps being a cut above the tech boys, since she was observant enough to figure things out and gutsy enough to act on that knowledge.  I could see her having a more regular role with Johnny, Da'vin and Dutch.

I like that the hackMods are pretty clearly focused on establishing their own humanity and individuality despite being manufactured to fit a specific role by The Factory. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, marinw said:

Question: What year did Ollie/Clara say it was? Doesn’t sound like our calendar. 

After a re-watch, I'm pretty sure I think I heard her say it was "ten-five-six", ie 1056.

correction
  • Love 1

It might have been nothing, or just a nod to the Johnny/Hackmod storyline running in the same episode, but I couldn't help notice the attention drawn to a macho-laced throw-away line from D'avin;

Turin:  "You could use a bigger brain."
D'avin:  "Yeah?  Maybe you could use a new face."

The camera zeros in on Dutch throwing a look at D'avin when he says that.  Seemed to stand out when that kind of visual shot is ultra rarely used on this show.

I enjoyed the little side quest Johnny went on, and I thought the twist that Clara 2.0 was actually the original Clara the whole time, but with her memory erased was a pretty clever idea, but I'm SO glad that Johnny is back with the team! I want our main trio (plus Lucy!) back and in action. Although I'm definitely thinking that this whole mods subplot will come back in a big way at some point. Maybe our guys can ally with the mods in the bar that Johnny met?

The little virtual mission with the newbies was pretty fun, and I liked the newbies alright. However, we don't really need to spend much time with them, we already have plenty of cool people around, and none of these techs seem as interesting as Fancy, Pree, or Alvis. The main girl tech was a little annoying, but its at least nice to have another woman on the team. Hopefully they can make her more complex or engaging later on, the show usually does a good job with its supporting cast.

Evil Not Dutch is awesomely evil already! And her ship is kick ass. I'm super excited to see Hannah playing such a different character, I think its going to be a great ride.

• Love 2
On 7/8/2017 at 0:44 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Ollie = mind-fracked & skin-jobbed Clara.   One way to erase all doubt of possibly seeing Ms Leonidas this season (on Killjoys).

This was disappointing. Not in-show, because the skin job thing is creepy and cool. But meta-disappointing, because I was hoping to see SL this season. I guess she's not available - lives on the wrong continent and all that. Kinda like Lucy Lawless guest stars on stuff sometimes, but always dies because she has no intention of moving to LA, much less Vancouver.

Also sad that they'd bring Dell Seyah back from the dead but not (as far as we know) Pawter. Still not over Pawter. For me that was more shocking than the Red Wedding because I didn't start watching Game of Thrones until 2014 so I knew that was coming. This was just, one moment they were signing a treaty, and then she was suddenly, unexpectedly, totally dead. 

I like Zeph. The hero-worship thing just kind of came out of nowhere at the end, though.

(edited)
20 hours ago, that one guy said:

I like Zeph. The hero-worship thing just kind of came out of nowhere at the end, though.

I was okay with it.  There was a bit of basis when Zeph is one of them would be replacing Johnny.  There's an undercurrent that Johnny/Da'vin/Dutch are kind of rock stars in the RAC.  Plus, Zeph went from low to high when Dutch recruited her.  Besides, she didn't continue the hero-gush and seemed a little embarrassed that she let slip what she did.  I like Zeph too.  She very much brings the cute and smart.

I wonder what Dell Sayah was happiest about, being alive or potentially getting to see a version of Dutch naked?

Edited by johntfs

I liked Zeph and I hope she sticks around for more than an episode or two.

I am not fond of Dell Sayah and would not have minded if she had stayed dead. Loved her reaction to Aneela though.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, snowwhyte said:

I remember reading an Anne McAffrey book called Restoree as a child about a woman who was skinned and then given replacement skin. It was one of my favourites but the idea of wearing someone else's skin is really creepy.

What about the face transplants they are actually doing now, like the woman who was maimed by her friend's chimpanzee?

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, Mikita said:

I liked Zeph and I hope she sticks around for more than an episode or two.

I am not fond of Dell Sayah and would not have minded if she had stayed dead. Loved her reaction to Aneela though.

Although the character pissed me off because she was so evil (LOL), I did like the character for the story arc and I loved the actress.  However, I am not fond they brought her back.  Dead is dead in certain circumstances, even in science fiction.  Like Pawter, Dell Sayah is dead (okay, they didn't actually show her actually dying, but...), and should have been left dead.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:20 AM, Jacks-Son said:

The oldest daughter on Roseanne.  And then they made fun of the fact they replaced her thinking the audience wouldn't notice.   :-)