Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Immutable Truth

Oh, but Norman is a psychopath, don't you know?  And, I'm sure that all those folks that Dylan killed or is responsible for killing were just a bunch of baddies, after all.  ;)

**sarcasm**

I do wonder if it is supposed to be purposefully ironic!

Huh, it seemed to be lacking that finale energy, I was sure there would be at least two more.

My husband too!  Last night he said to me, "Hey!  You know what night it is?  Bates Motel night!"  I told him last week was the season finale.  He didn't believe me and brought up the channel guide only to see a marathon of Criminal Minds or whatever A&E played last night. 

(edited)

Well, the fact that the season is so short totally blows, imo. And frankly this season didn't grab like season 1 did. IDK why.

I know why for myself.  The first season was more subtle.  You could "settle in" and watch an interesting progression as the characters traveled along their fated paths to their destinies.  There was time to explore with texture and depth and black humor.  The town was still more sinister "quirky" and not totally blood-soaked bizarroworld as yet.  Season 1 gratefully followed Hitchcock's genius in "less is more" on the "graphic" parts and relied more on the not seen to produce the scary tension stuff.  Hitchcock knew that the scary is 90% in our own mind and it's fear of what "might" happen and not in fake blood poured over actors.

Also the endless pot stuff was more an annoyance in Season 1 than an over the top, boring "action" subplot that threatens to take over all the better parts of the series.  There was too much from the beginning but at least it didn't hog the screen as totally has it did in Season 2.

And less deaths.  I want Norman going "psycho" to be the big deal payoff in the end.  Not just one more of so many weird killers living in the town already.  In Season 2 if you haven't killed a few people already in weird and bloody ways you are a real nobody in this place.  I keep hearing they were inspired by Twin Peaks but Twin Peaks jumped the shark and destroyed itself quickly.  Hope they remember that and rein this stuff in.

I guess I think Season 2 lost a lot of the spooky Hitchcock-like approach of the first season and went off into the typical Hollywood shoot-em-up, body counts boring stuff.  Which caused the show to lose it's unique pov that made it must viewing.  It still has the actors playing Norma, Norman and even the Sheriff and their great build-up of their characters still.  But the scripts aren't doing them the same service they did a season ago in my opinion. 

And, since it can't be said enough, too much whacky week stuff.  Just get a fake prescription from almost any doctor these days or drive over to Colorado (and soon, just up to Washington) and stop with shooting people over pot.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Well, Green just nailed it for me. I still like the show because it's something my man and I catch watch together without him yawning heh. The weird Hitchcocky elements must be what I'm missing and it is indeed not as subtle as season 1, as mentioned. Nailed it. :)

• Love 2

I don't know....I kind of liked this season but I did think there was too much of the drug war story.  I found Norman very subtly going mad good stuff.  I really don't want to see him implode.  I would rather watch how he got from point A to point B somewhat seamlessly. 

• Love 2