Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Immutable Truth

A tragic event from the past haunts Norman; Norma tries to prevent Norman from making a terrible mistake; Romero and Dylan find a way to end the drug war; Emma makes a decision about her future.

Well the first two phrases could be used to describe almost every other episode.  The episodes in between just switch the names of Norma and Norman around.

Romero and Dylan find a way to end the drug war?  Cool.  My guess is they form a committee to get pot legalized in Oregon on the ballot for the next election.  ;-)

• Love 2

Well, it looks like those who predicted that Dylan will be taking over the drug trade, might be right.  I'm assuming that was what Romero was talking about, and I can't see Dylan refusing, even if he doesn't want to.  I do hope Remo gets a promotion!  Dylan better see to that!

Yeah... that kiss was creepy.  Norman and Norma's relationship is just all kinds of fucked-up.  I mean, it always was, but this is just gone onto a whole other level.  I can only imagine what is going to happen next season.  Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore continue to own their roles.

I wonder if anything is going to come out of Kristine's threat about Norma's council seat.

Glad Emma is still alive, but, as usual, the more she hangs around Norman and Norma, the more I worry for her.  I think she'd even be safer working for Dylan and the pot warehouse, at this point.

Loved the final shot.  But, even though he passed the test, I wonder if Romero will always be suspicious of him.

Overall, I really enjoyed the second season, but I still wish they will figure out what they want to do with this drug plot.  It's the one thing that I find kind of dull, and it's disappointing, since I really like Dylan.

• Love 2

I do like the drug theme running through it. It shows Romero as not the perfect cop but one who balances the peace in the town verses the pure love of the law. I am waiting for an additional theme about the town to be developed.

• Love 2

Nice end to the season.  Romero and Dylan end up best friends ever blowing away drug lords and rescuing crazy people from boxes.  Norma decides Dylan deserves a ticket to ride too because she loves ... ah ... because he saved Norman.  And "head Norma" helps Norman cheat on his lie detector test.  That will hold me to next season.

And in the post-show interview segment we find out the actor that plays Romero uses no eye make-up at all, the actor who plays Emma is also English, the actor who plays Dylan has grown a Viking level beard Vera can't keep her fingers out of now and Freddy Highmore can't dance unlike Vera who apparently used to be a professional Ukrainian folk dancer.

• Love 1

Wow, that was a pretty tightly plotted season finale. Everything was tied up nice and I can't wait for season 3.

Norma sitting in the rocking chair watching Norman sleep was creepy. Foreshadowing of where she is in the Psycho movie.

All the hugs and feels going around got me all tearing up. I'm glad Dylan got so many hugs from his family. Though I kind of wish Norman wanted to spend time with his brother, too, before going off to off himself.

Dylan just kind of bumbled his way into becoming the new kingpin, didn't he? If Romero took 3 seconds longer to get back into the room, Dylan would be dead.

I wonder if anything is going to come out of Kristine's threat about Norma's council seat.

Not if Dylan is the new boss. But maybe the Halstons have a shot at filling the power vacuum, too. Aren't all the rich people in White Pine Bay mixed up in some illegal business? And Nick Ford was at their party. Hmm...

Wouldn't there also be a power vacuum in the human trafficking trade after Shelby, Keith Summers, and Abernathy were all killed last season? Who took over that business?

(edited)

Norma sitting in the rocking chair watching Norman sleep was creepy. Foreshadowing of where she is in the Psycho movie.

Nice catch!

Loved the final shot.

I did too. Reminded me of the final shot in Psycho.

I think I might have squealed a bit when Head Norma popped up and said, "I killed Blaire Watson." Brilliant plotting, because it (1) helped Norman pass the polygraph test; and (2) raised the stakes for Season 3. Head Norma is officially in da house!

Also loved Head Norma's very, um, distinctive hair and dress. What do you want to bet that when Norman actually dresses up as Head Norma, he'll find that exact wig and dress?

As usual, I felt both pity and revulsion for Norma. Loved how she apologized to Dylan for being a shit mom. Cringed at her obscenely close dance with Norman. Shuddered at her consistently denying Norman's reality and telling him that she and he were "one person." Poor Norma -- you can just see how her every action leads to the care and feeding of Head Norma....

Edited by Solzhenknitsyn
  • Love 2

So I noticed a "viewer discretion is advised for violence and sexual content" warning before the show. (Speaking of, who watches a show called Bates Motel and don't expect violence and sexual content?) The violence was obvious, but I kept wondering "what sexual content?" until Norma went ahead and kissed her son full on the mouth and I'm like "oh." (Or maybe the sexual content was just Norman talking about remembering having sex with Miss Watson. Could be both of those.)

I'm pretty disappointed that Jodie was actually as dangerous as she looks. Which is to say she was not really dangerous at all. I was hoping she was secretly some kind of Scarface-like character or evil-genius mastermind. The drug story at this point is kind of like: "what if all the big bosses on Breaking Bad stupidly got themselves killed and Jesse Pinkman got to be the kingpin?"

• Love 2
(edited)

The drug part continues to be meh, but I did enjoy Romero taking down the drug lords. Everything else in the episode I really enjoyed and the final shot is great.

Who knew the Willy Wonka kid could look so menacing.

I liked seeing Norma be nice to Dylan, though part of me was scared she was just playing him and would take it all back as soon as she didn't get what she wanted for Norman.

Was OK with Norman not going to see his bro. I mean sure it would be nice if he'd acknowledge the guy that saved him, but the whole thing, including the chat with Emma was about Norma, which fits their crazy relationship.

I didn't watch after hours, so not sure what hints they give about next season, but curious if Norman will continue to be relatively normal other than when blacked out, or if the emergence of head Norma means there's a new driver in the seat.

Edited by Joystickenvy

I missed the first 15 minutes, as when Norma told whatshername that Norman had "the stomach flu," I spent five minutes yelling "there is no such thing as stomach flu--flu is a respiratory illness, not intestinal!" and then ten minutes taking pills and lying down before I could get back into the show.

I really need to dial that back.

• Love 1

Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore continue to excel.  Their weird and creepy but undeniable chemistry is something to watch.  Definitely looking forward to season 3.

On After Hours, Nestor Carbonell must be so tired of the guyliner questions.  It was a constant refrain when he was on Lost.  It's natural, people!  And who knew Emma (can't remember the name of the actress) was British?

(edited)

I didn't watch after hours, so not sure what hints they give about next season, but curious if Norman will continue to be relatively normal other than when blacked out, or if the emergence of head Norma means there's a new driver in the seat.

Don't think they gave any hints or they were so generic bland I forgot them already.  It was more about the Romero actor not using eyeliner.  At one point he used a make-up remover pad the host shoved at him to "prove" it wasn't make-up when the pad turned out clean.  At which point the host commented that he had beautiful eyelashes making the actor look even more uncomfortable.  And look the Dylan actor grew this big full beard (I assume he has some other part lined-up for the off season downtime).  Also confirming, like the first time, that Freddy was up and about in Cambridge at 3 AM to appear on this interview live even though he is into finals there right now.

Also question as to what was the favorite scene some of them shot.  Which I can't remember much of either except Freddy who liked jumping in the pond, locked up in the box with cockroaches running all over him and turning into "Norma" with Norman's uncle at the other motel.  He may be as loopy as his character, hah. 

Oh yeah, the Emma actor liked best a scene where she kissed Norman but apparently they edited that out but it may be available on the Blue Ray / DVD copy as an "extra" scene.  I remember the showrunner guy said he thought it was too early to have Emma and Norman become so close as to kiss which I guess does imply it might happen later on in the series.  Poor Emma.  That was the only "hint" I remember on the show.  But I assume they would get close anyway because why have her character on the show to start with.

Then there was a so called blooper reel which wasn't too exciting and very very brief.  Though one nice outtake was Vera at the gate to Nick's ship/dock area talking to the voice coming out of the box asking her who she was and she blanked and couldn't remember to say "Norma Bates" and then laughed and said she almost gave her real life name instead.

Also weird odds and ends like Vera liked to cook her ethnic Ukranian foods for cast and crew during holidays.  The guy that played Norma's evil brother is apparently the third highest ranked arm wrestler in the country and tricked the actor that played Dylan (who knew not this factoid) into trying arm wrestling with him in front of the whole crew promising him 10K if he won.  A millisecond later Dylan actor dude was defeated.  In short you didn't miss much.

Edited by green
  • Love 2
Not if Dylan is the new boss. But maybe the Halstons have a shot at filling the power vacuum, too. Aren't all the rich people in White Pine Bay mixed up in some illegal business? And Nick Ford was at their party. Hmm...

I suspect this is going to be another example of Norma shooting herself in the foot.  She pissed off George, thus pissing off his sister and with Nick Ford dead, no one is pulling strings for her with the council. This is probably how the bypass goes through and the motel starts to tank.

I’m not sure I could buy that Dylan not only takes over the whole town’s drug business, combining two competing families but also becomes a big shot in city government. That’s just too much for me to buy, especially since Jodi, the agricultural expert of the business is now dead. I can see Dylan running things from a managerial perspective with Remo’s help since we’ve already established Dylan doesn’t know all the industry terms. Maybe Cupcake Boy can work for them full time with Remo as Dylan’s right hand man. I could buy Dylan doing double duty as one of Romero’s Deputies since he and Romero make a nice pair and seem to get along/trust each other though but I don’t see him controlling local politics.

Wouldn't there also be a power vacuum in the human trafficking trade after Shelby, Keith Summers, and Abernathy were all killed last season? Who took over that business?

I think when Romera killed Aberhnathy he ran that business out of town. Abernathy said he traveled for his work so I think he had it going on in multiple towns.

I missed the first 15 minutes, as when Norma told whatshername that Norman had "the stomach flu," I spent five minutes yelling "there is no such thing as stomach flu--flu is a respiratory illness, not intestinal!" and then ten minutes taking pills and lying down before I could get back into the show.

I think stomach flu is a common (though misnomer term) often used to describe a stomach/intestinal bug so that didn’t bother me on screen although I hate when people use them interchangeably in real life as if they are the same ailment. But what I thought was funny about that scene was how Emma questions that Norman was sick and in the hospital when Norma had previously told her that she couldn’t find Norman. It was with Romero that she tried to play off that Norman was sick. Norma was mixing up her lies. lol

Also weird odds and ends like Vera liked to cook her ethnic Ukranian foods for cast and crew during holidays.

Ukrainian food is delicious so they're lucky people.

I'm still confused by the Christine & George storyline. Was that it? No ulterior motive? Was it just a way to rehash that bypass storyline AGAIN in season 3? (I haven't seen the movie, so I guess it plays a role in the movie?)

I'm glad the drug storyline got wrapped up the way it did, I was getting tired of Zane.  He was over the top stupid for what he wanted to accomplish. Jodie was disappointing. I thought by the way they introduced her, she'd be some very conniving, great, behind the scenes kingpin. Instead she just had sex with Dylan, couldn't make decisions, and ultimately died. At least with Dylan as leader, the drug storyline will fit in more with the main story. Surely he can use his weight as the new drug boss in town to manipulate the bypass somehow.

The Norma/Norman scenes were great as usual. I did think that good-bye gift from Norman was actually pretty cute. Weird, but cute. So Norma told Norman what happened with his father. Given all that information about his blackouts I'm surprised he was so able to convince himself that he or a version of himself didn't kill Miss Watson. But I guess that's how DID works. Shame that Norma won't do what's right for her son.

Poor Emma. Got sucked back into that crazy family. Run you poor girl, run.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm still confused by the Christine & George storyline. Was that it? No ulterior motive? Was it just a way to rehash that bypass storyline AGAIN in season 3? (I haven't seen the movie, so I guess it plays a role in the movie?)

No there is no bypass in the movie.  Nor any weed industry blissfully!  And no brother Dylan or any of the other characters other then Norman and well sort of kind of his "Mother" though she had no first name in the film.  (Brilliant for this modern day re-imagined prequel to use "Norma" for all the obvious reasons).  But it does feature the exact same house/motel set and the taxidermy shall we say.  It is a Hitchcock classic and worth seeing and adds to appreciating the series way more.  And what a job Freddy Highmore has done with being his own "Norman" while respecting and even incorporating a lot of Anthony's Perkins "Norman" into the role.
Edited by green

There was a bypass in the movie.  The interstate was recently re-routed, which is why the Bates Motel is doing such a lousy business.

I stand corrected.  I didn't even remember an interstate in the film.  Guess it had such a 1950's feel to it when the interstate system was just starting out I assumed there was none there yet.  Sorry for the mistake.

Well, come to think of it, they might not have said interstate.  But the main highway had definitely been re-routed, which is why the motel suited Marion's need for hiding.  That is until Norman came at her with a knife, LOL.

Brilliant for this modern day re-imagined prequel to use "Norma" for all the obvious reasons).

That is not a modern day creation. Her first name was Norma before this TV show. 

• Love 1

I completely agree with Tara's take on this season.  Next season, there had better be some major shit going down between Norma/Norman that impacts other characters in a really bad way, because, ultimately, that's what Psycho is all about.

(edited)

I haven't minded the pacing of the show to this point, and I haven't minded Norman's slow downward spiral or watching exactly how and why he ends up like he does.  I wouldn't want it to have happened quickly.  However, that being said, it seems clear he has pretty much gone round the bend now, and for that reason, I think the show needs to up the stakes next season in order to keep it interesting.

Edited by Fable
  • Love 1

I also had some major issues with this finale. It was lackluster. Too much time was wasted with Norman’s whole attempted suicide. There was no suspense there—he’s the star of the show so you know he’s not going to do it.

And I’m beginning to suspect part of the problem with the show is the too narrow cast. In season one we met the sheriff and deputy. The deputy got killed as part of the plot but then the sheriff continued on as a regular. And by halfway or so through this season the regulars became obvious and the guest stars expendable so there was no suspense on who was staying or going. 

I don’t mind the drug business and I understood from the start that they were using a type of Twin Peaks atmosphere with the show. But if the drug business is such a fundamental part of the town and we meet the biggest players in one season and they are all dead at the end of that season, what’s the point? Both Nick Ford and Jodi had tons of potential as characters that were either never tapped into or dropped too soon.  Nick Ford could easily have manipulated Norma for another season as the by-pass story was developed (provided he didn’t go off the rails and kidnap Norman).  It would have made way more sense for Dylan to advance in the business with Jodi still in charge than whatever it is they are going to do next year with Dylan running the whole thing???  I think I’d rather see Dylan become a deputy and work with Romero. Romero likes him and they have a similar sense of justice and working outside the conventional law. Plus it might make more sense down the road as Norman makes more kills and Dylan helps keep them quiet/Norman out of trouble.

Dylan’s characterization this whole season was a big let down from season 1. There was very little humorous banter with Norma, which was essential to S1 because he saw Norma for how she really is and called her out on it. Instead in S2 Dylan spent most of his time looking dazed, stunned, or scared.   Is he supposed to have been stoned all season? I’m not sure how else to explain your boss/lover getting killed a foot from you and you sit there with her dead body talking to the sheriff showing no grief.  He was more upset/outraged over his first partner’s death in S1.

I'm also not that confident that the show's producers, in classic Carlton "Lost" Cuse style, have fully worked out exactly what that bond even is yet.

I think Cuse is pulling his normal BS. I’m doubtful he has this plotted out any better than he did Lost. If you listen to things the actors say in interviews it points to exactly that—he’s making it up as he goes along.

• Love 1
(edited)
Too much time was wasted with Norman’s whole attempted suicide. There was no suspense there—he’s the star of the show so you know he’s not going to do it.

I don't think it was about Norman's suicide as much as it was about digging deeper into the twisted shit going on between Norma/Norman.  I hated that scene for the squick that it was and loved it for what it said about Norman's mindset with regard to Norma!

This show started out with an inappropriate and dysfunctional relationship between mother and son, but as it evolves, it leads further into Norman not being able to identify himself without his mother.  I love this shit.  I hope it gets even darker in S3. 

p.s. Love your recap Tara, but Hannibal and Bates Motel?  Apples and oranges, don't you think?   Hannibal is just a total mind fuck (which, by the way, I love) and Norman Bates is a slow burn (love also)

Edited by Fable
  • Love 2

I kept waiting for Emma to scream "how did your hands and face get so messed up with the flu?!!"

I was disappointed in the after show. Perhaps not the best idea because they ruined the flow of the character by showing them as actors. Will I forget that Freddie has an English accent? Nope. Can I forget that Vera looked and acted like she has the hots for Dylan by constantly playing with his beard? Nope.

Norma kissing Norman...euw! Mothers do kiss their children - even grown ones on the mouth - more often in Europe but with this script? ....yuk.

I have a strong feeling that the drug thread is far from over. No way will Dylan be able to control two competing drug gangs. This will get exposed by the town council connections. Someone was getting kickbacks. Christine definitely is involved with the drugs. And what about the council member who started to question Norma on her first day on the job?

• Love 1
in S2 Dylan spent most of his time looking dazed, stunned, or scared.   Is he supposed to have been stoned all season?

He's been absorbing it! Just ask Norma. This also explains why all those weed bosses were so easily killed.

Seems to me the show has to be working towards eliminating the town's drug trade at some point, just like how there's no more human trafficking trade in the town. Maybe the entire town of White Pine Bay will be destroyed when its major sources of income are gone. Norman and his "twelve rooms twelve vacancies" will be the only thing left of White Pine Bay. After all, there's no White Pine Bay in the movie, there's only Fairvale. Maybe that's the name of a new town that will be built along with the bypass.

I like the idea of Dylan turning into Romero's deputy at some point. It would be pretty creepy awesome since he looks so much like Deputy Shelby. It would almost be like he killed his doppelganger and took over the life he was living.

It doesn't seem like Dylan has a criminal record despite all the stuff he has done, so it could work!

I like the idea of Dylan turning into Romero's deputy at some point. It would be pretty creepy awesome since he looks so much like Deputy Shelby. It would almost be like he killed his doppelganger and took over the life he was living.

Yech! It would echo Head Norma, wig, dress, and all, taking over Norman! Or Taxidermied Norma taking over Live Norma!

Also, if they develop a father-son relationship, it would be an interesting contrast to Norma and Norman's relationship. As Peanut6711 noted above, it would also put Dylan at odds with Norma, if (presumably) Romero continues to dig into Norman's murderousity.

Most of all, it would be a billion times more interesting than the weed business. Could the dispatching of Nick Ford, Zane, and Jodi been more perfunctory? I'm especially cheesed off about Nick Ford's death. Nick Ford could easily have been Gus Fring to Dylan's Walter White -- a wily, near-omnipotent villain who takes two seasons to be defeated.

Jodie was disappointing. I thought by the way they introduced her, she'd be some very conniving, great, behind the scenes kingpin. Instead she just had sex with Dylan, couldn't make decisions, and ultimately died.

I agree. She was an anomaly in a show that features strong, three-dimensional female characters. Except for Bradley, who was just the "hot chick." Hmm. Maybe Jodi was there to fill the "one-dimensional hot chick" quota. I'll have to keep an eye out for next season's 1DHC.

Prediction: she'll be a former model, staying at the Bates Motel while she works in the local cheese shop and figures out her next step. In reality, she's scoping out WPB for the Canadian mafia's prescription drug smuggling business, about which we'll hear either too much or too little. She'll sex up Romero, thereby securing free rein for the mafia -- and Norma's insane jealousy. After a season-long buildup, Norma will confront her in the kitchen of the Bates's house. 1DHC will slip on a fried egg, hit her head on the counter, and die.

• Love 2

I liked it.  The kiss between Norma and Norman was perfect - creepy prefect but perfect - it lasted just long enough to not be confused with the quick peck related people give each other, hit that second where you start to squirm and feel uncomfortable then stopped just short of making out.

There's starting to be a long tally of people that have to die or be killed if Norman is going to end up the psycho we know and love running his fading motel business with "mother" watching from the house.  Norma of course, Dylan and Emma; Romero would have to go also, he'd never fall for an excuse that Norma was just at the house and too busy to see him.  They've made themselves so visible to the town I can't see at all how the writers might plan to get us from where the story is now to where it needs to be at the end.  Hoping they have a plan and general outline for X number of years and they're not going to drag it out - this S2 finale started the set up nicely with using Mother to spoof the lie detector test (I wonder though what would have happened if they had asked if Norman knew who did kill Ms Watson) and Norman's evil 1000 yard stare to end the episode.

These shows often get ignored by the awards people but Vera and Freddie should get Emmy nominations for that scene in the forest alone.

• Love 2
There's starting to be a long tally of people that have to die or be killed if Norman is going to end up the psycho we know and love running his fading motel business with "mother" watching from the house . . . Hoping they have a plan and general outline for X number of years and they're not going to drag it out.

The show would be nothing without Vera Farmiga, so I also hope they will go with just three seasons and kill her in maybe the penultimate episode. I love Norma and Vera so much that I get a little weepy remembering how this is all going to have to play out.

I was worried they were going to kill off Sheriff Suddenly Susan; he is my second-favorite character. I go all girly when they call each other "Norma" and "Alex" now.

• Love 3
p.s. Love your recap Tara, but Hannibal and Bates Motel?  Apples and oranges, don't you think?   Hannibal is just a total mind fuck (which, by the way, I love) and Norman Bates is a slow burn (love also)

I watch and love both shows and I agree that it is like comparing apples and oranges even though yes they both have psychopathic characters as leads of the show. But I think what I love about both shows is seeing the contrast between the two lead characters. Hannibal is simply a sociopath plain and simple. He lacks any feeling, empathy or connection to other human beings which is why he eats them because as Will noted, they are of no more use to him than the common animal. Norman on the flip-side, is a boy who is mentally troubled and is largely a victim of his circumstances, most notably a mother who is unstable and troubled herself and fostered this completely creepy, unhealthy, co-dependent relationship that caused him go down the path he eventually does. The writers even had Dylan state it clearly - maybe Norman needs professional health and it might be the best thing for him. But Norma would never allow that and instead he will inevitably just slip further and further into his psychosis. 

So I agree in not comparing Hannibal and Bates Motel, though I find both very fascinating. Without question, stylistically, Hannibal has Bates Motel beat and the mind games of the show is fascinating with Hannibal being a therapist. And while yes the drug business plot line on Bates Motel is a little boring and often times clunky, Hannibal itself has plot issues particularly when it comes to how many things the viewers are supposed to believe Hannibal just gets away with without arousing any suspicion or being caught, etc. I mean some people have even joked about Hannibal having super power abilities where he an be at multiple places at once. So both shows have their issues and their good points but for me personally, I think the main thing working for both is the talents of the leads - both Vera and Freddie and Mads and Hugh sell the hell out of their respective characters. 

• Love 1

I was worried they were going to kill off Sheriff Suddenly Susan; he is my second-favorite character.

I thought for sure Dylan would be a goner when he had his little moment with Norma after finding out she bought him a ticket.  Happy that it didn't turn out that way... at least for the time being.

Dylan’s characterization this whole season was a big let down from season 1. There was very little humorous banter with Norma, which was essential to S1 because he saw Norma for how she really is and called her out on it. Instead in S2 Dylan spent most of his time looking dazed, stunned, or scared.   Is he supposed to have been stoned all season? I’m not sure how else to explain your boss/lover getting killed a foot from you and you sit there with her dead body talking to the sheriff showing no grief.

Overall I enjoyed the episode and like where the series is going.  Except for this.  He didn't even blink when Jodi got blown away.  And I for one don't like the whole mother and son reunion . . . I get that Dylan craves his mother's love but still he is no idiot . . . and it is so freaking obvious that her sudden turnaround on him is because he saved Norman.  S1 Dylan would have called her out on that immediately and told her to shove the third ticket.  Now he's holding her almost as close as Norman does.  I just don't like this direction with Dylan.

• Love 1
(edited)
S1 Dylan would have called her out on that immediately and told her to shove the third ticket.  Now he's holding her almost as close as Norman does.  I just don't like this direction with Dylan.

Oh, I don't know if he was holding her quite that close. Hee.

Dylan didn't call Norma on saving Norman and leaving him in the house with Shelby in the first season when she gave him that big hug after he shot Shelby (thereby saving her and her precious Norman). I think it's consistent with Dylan's character that he only calls Norma on things when he feels she's trying to manipulate him. In that moment when she offered the ticket to Montreal, I don't think she was manipulating him. Dylan must know that she's only professing her love because he saved her precious Norman, but in that particular moment it didn't matter so much.

I'm sure this truce won't last. Norma will want to keep putting her head in the sand now that Norman passed the polygraph test, and I think Dylan would push for getting Norman some professional help. That will probably be a major conflict in season 3.

Edited by Bec
  • Love 1

When Norma decided not to run away to Montreal and agreed with Dylan that Norman might need help, I think she was ready and willing to let the chips fall as they may if Norman failed the polygraph. So if that meant a mental institution for Norman, i think she was ready to accept and allow that. Unfortunately, Norman managed to pass the test.

I've enjoyed this entire season of Bates Motel, liked the finale as well & the after hour was a nice treat. I wish more shows had after hours like that, I don't mind blurring the line between show and real life.

I caught myself in the middle of the finale like 'ahh what a sweet family' (re: Norma, Norman & Dylan) & then quickly got like an aha moment & was back to 'okay not so much'. My love for dysfunctional families are endless.

I wish more shows had after hours like that, I don't mind blurring the line between show and real life.

It's definitely becoming a thing. Started with The Talking Dead, they did it with Breaking Bad, and now this. I'm expecting a Game of Thrones one at some point.  Or a Fargo one.

I caught myself in the middle of the finale like 'ahh what a sweet family' (re: Norma, Norman & Dylan) & then quickly got like an aha moment & was back to 'okay not so much'. My love for dysfunctional families are endless.

The family unit from the day of the polygraph - from the house to actually taking it, was done extremely well. You could see that Dylan and Norma were going to support Norman regardless of the outcome.  It says a lot about that little sweet messed up family.

• Love 3

- cool. I've only seen Sons of Anarchy do it before. And I was really in need of it cause I hated Kurt Sutter at the end of the finale and then the after hour reminded me why I love his screwed up mind so much after all :)

I hope Bates keep doing them, Freddie being up at 3 am just speaks volume of how invested or committed he is with the show & I really like the little insights you get while they talk. I like listening to the actors but I hope the writers gets a wee bit more time in the future.

I caught myself in the middle of the finale like 'ahh what a sweet family'

I noticed that there's a very specific bit of twinkly piano background music whenever Dylan gets to have a nice moment with his family. It was there when he hugged Norman after pulling him out of the box, and it was there when Norma told him she bought him a ticket too. It was the same music way back in season one, when Dylan gave Norman a ride home on his motorcycle.

I think I shall call it the "twinkly piano of reconciliation".

Anyway, I still tear up every time I rewatch a scene in which that music comes on.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been a little behind lately...this was the season finale? Huh, it seemed to be lacking that finale energy, I was sure there would be at least two more. Weird. Okay, they did wrap some things up, but it seemed really...I don't know...easy?...simple?...I can't find the right words right now.

Nice to see Norma give Dylan some love. It was long overdue. All the hugs with Noman/Dylan and Norma/Dylan kept me smiling all the way through the episode.

Oh, darling Emma, I adore you and you're innocence. I'm sure I will be crushed when that innocence is taken from you. I still haven't figured out what purpose her character serves on the show, but I don't want her to ever go away. Maybe she's just supposed to be the innocent bystander--the audience surrogate, maybe?

Still not convinced Norman/Mother killed Miss Watson. It just seems too obvious and on the nose for them to have stretched it out over the course of an entire season. Those visions Norman had in the box are not at all reliable. Anyway, it sets the stage for Norma to continue to keep Norman from getting help now--he passed the test, which means he didn't kill her so he's just fine...no need to have him get therapy and admit that he killed his father--right?

Maybe I'm just weird, but that kiss in the woods didn't creep me out at all--it made me sad. Norma was just so desperate. I don't know, I just don't see the sexual stuff others do because I keep seeing Norma as a broken, emotionally-crippled 12-year-old girl. Norman's really her protector in many ways, that's why he didn't kill himself when Norma threatened suicide...who would take care of Mother if he was dead?

I predict that Norma's ex-gal pal and her brother are going to be BIG problems next season--I'm wondering if they won't take over Nick Ford's side of the business? They took such great pains to set up this animosity, I could see it paying off with them getting the by-pass built and being a constant thorn in Dylan's side with the drug business. Especially now that Dylan is back in with Norma.

Does that cover it...can't believe we have to wait so long for next season.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I do enjoy this show although it has its strong and weak points. But I hafta say I find it funny everyone is so concerned about the 2 people Norman killed, yet I am thinking how many people has Dylan killed or been responsible in some way for their deaths?? (I don't watch this show closely enough to know the answer, but I'm pretty sure he's been involved in a few deaths himself?!) just made me LOL.

Oh, but Norman is a psychopath, don't you know?  And, I'm sure that all those folks that Dylan killed or is responsible for killing were just a bunch of baddies, after all.  ;)

**sarcasm**

• Love 1