Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Return: Part 9

I love that what seems like a silly throwaway scene between Andy and Lucy can have layers and angles within which people can read multiple interpretations. It underscores how much is going on in the bigger scenes.

• Love 5

Agent Preston has a very non-American accent...sort of like Gal Gadot mixed with Rachel Weisz...maybe another clue that she is an alien / replicant / clone / android

19 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I love that what seems like a silly throwaway scene between Andy and Lucy 

Is it an odd camera angle or is Lucy much shorter 25 years later?

4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I thought her awkward posing and posturing in the scene with Gordon and Diane smoking made it all the better. It was like a space alien who idolized Felix Unger and wasn't sure how else to react. 

I thought that entire scene was GREAT.  Sharing a cigarette is a somewhat intimate act - and what better way to express with minimal dialogue how Gordon and Diane have miles and miles of personal relationship and experiences which Tammy cannot begin to fathom?  Tammy was the definitive third wheel in that scene.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I thought that entire scene was GREAT.  Sharing a cigarette is a somewhat intimate act - and what better way to express with minimal dialogue how Gordon and Diane have miles and miles of personal relationship and experiences which Tammy cannot begin to fathom?  Tammy was the definitive third wheel in that scene.

The whole thing was awkward and funny and also oddly fascinating, especially seeing Gordon trying so hard to seem cool and in a bizarre way try to be somewhat flirtatious with Diane (I don't think Tammy was thrilled with that either). It was all very teenager-ish, and even in his late 60's Lynch somehow managed to pull that demeanor and attitude off.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

The whole thing was awkward and funny and also oddly fascinating, especially seeing Gordon trying so hard to seem cool and in a bizarre way try to be somewhat flirtatious with Diane (I don't think Tammy was thrilled with that either). It was all very teenager-ish, and even in his late 60's Lynch somehow managed to pull that demeanor and attitude off.

Bingo.  The looks and conversational tone between Gordon and Diane?  Innuendo and inside jokes abounded. 

There's an entire universe of Gordon/Diane backstory to which we haven't been privy. 

More to the point, neither has Tammy - hip juts and supermodel pouts notwithstanding.  :>

• Love 3

I have to give it up for Eric Edelstein who plays "Smiley" Fusco and his laugh. Every time he he does that ridiculous giggle I burst out laughing. 

I rewatched some of Mulholland Drive last night and was floored by how similar Naomi Watts is styled in the first half of that film as "Betty" as she does now as Janey-E. I'm wondering if there's some mystical connection between the two characters. 

On 7/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, Pete Martell said:

I thought the scene of Dougie getting emotional staring at the flag was beautifully acted by Kyle Maclachlan, again proving he would have been a silent film star. That whole scene was really beautifully staged, and of course it was another fakeout, but the inversion of the original scenes tells me this must be near the end of the line.

I kept wondering when something was going to happen, and if something was coming out of (or going into) the electrical socket. if there was emotion there, I missed it. Not unusual.

The scene where Tammy/Gordon/Diane were standing around outside, awkward, until Gordon took a smoke from Diane ("bad" Diane winning out in influence over "good" Tammy) was just perfect - a tableau of weirdness and a reminder that we're all perpetually 13 sometimes.

That was the first scene where I fell asleep. I rewatched it, and I clearly don't understand this show because it seemed like filler.

I also loved that Hawk wouldn't help that shitbag Chad with the door. 

That one I got. I just don't know why we watched it.

There were a few bits here and there that didn't do much for me but overall I felt like this was probably the most Twin Peaks-ish of all 9 episodes so far. It reminded me a lot of season 1, actually. A certain hardness mixed with kindness mixed with goofiness.

Agree there. I assume because we saw more of the TPs location.

18 hours ago, Aaron said:

When she kept fidgeting during the smoking scene, it reminded me of Lil from Fire Walk With Me, although I wasn't sure what message she could have been conveying.

The glare of the secondhand embarassment was blinding.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2017 at 8:15 PM, paigow said:

Agent Preston has a very non-American accent...sort of like Gal Gadot mixed with Rachel Weisz...maybe another clue that she is an alien / replicant / clone / android

I didn't notice anything that made her feel shorter. Maybe just in comparison to Andy? He always towered over her.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:15 PM, paigow said:

Probably most accurate to say Kimmy Robertson is shorter 25 years later.

Robertson was 35 when she first started playing Lucy Moran; she's 62 now, and it's a fact - as they grow older, people shrink.  :)

4 hours ago, Nashville said:

she's 62 now

WOW (BOB WOW). I had no idea. She looks like she's in her 40s. Good for her.

I usually enjoy these Vanity Fair "what you may have missed" recaps each week. This one mostly has stuff already discussed, but they also mention that Johnny Horne's first scene on the show involved him smashing his head against a wall in his dollhouse. That's a...gruesome thread to bring back all these years later. 

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/twin-peaks-episode-9-recap-easter-eggs-references-callbacks-red-shoes-penguin-zebra-jack-rabbits-palace

• Love 2
On 7/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, Pete Martell said:

Did you catch Lynch's eyes? Without moving his head he keeps looking at Diane, then at the cigarette, then back at Diane, then back at the cigarette, until she finally gives him a drag. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

...they also mention that Johnny Horne's first scene on the show involved him smashing his head against a wall in his dollhouse. That's a...gruesome thread to bring back all these years later. 

Other TP head-smashings:

• Bob kills Maddie by smashing her head against a painting glass
  • Bob kills Leland by smashing his head against the prison window bars
  • Bob wakes himself up inside Cooper by smashing his head into a mirror
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Other TP head-smashings:

• Bob kills Maddie by smashing her head against a painting glass
  • Bob kills Leland by smashing his head against the prison window bars
  • Bob wakes himself up inside Cooper by smashing his head into a mirror

Wasn't there a head smashing with Doc Hayward and Ben Horne as well? 

• Love 2