Type keyword(s) to search

The F Word With Gordon Ramsay - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

How desperate is FOX for viewers?  The entire music theme and pork recipe is stolen from 6 years ago.  Fox ( or Gordon himself) has become desperate...

This show had potential if it was modeled after the original F-word from England.  Once again, FOX has bastardized it..

Edited by Smitty227
  • Love 1

Gordon teaching Kaitlin Olson to cook a pork chop was useless. Hand her a pan with two chops already pretty much cooked. Then she held the pan while he added ingredients, with little explanation, a lot of frantic talking.  Woosh! Flambe!  

The screeching bachelorette party was annoying.  Then Gordon surprises "fans" with the poster bit, they scream, then the screeching women in the restaurant. It seems to be pushing the idea that Gordon is some sort of sex symbol to young women, who can't stop screaming when he's around.

Race cars? Huh?

Oh yeah, there was a cooking competition going on in the background.

• Love 1

Did anyone care enough to make it through the whole episode?

Nope.  I didn't even bother with it.  I watched the first two episodes which were both bad and decided not to waste any more time with this show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, backformore said:

unwatchable crap.  Did anyone care enough to make it through the whole episode?

No.  I have no interest in this at all.  I started to watch and stopped about 10 minutes in.  

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:53 AM, Smitty227 said:

How desperate is FOX for viewers?  The entire music theme and pork recipe is stolen from 6 years ago.  Fox ( or Gordon himself) has become desperate...

The theme tune is the best thing about it! Especially now that "Well, The F Word's here and The F Word's bad" can now refer to the show itself :)

A special celebrity guest joins in the fun as families and friends battle it out in a live high-stakes cook-off. During the battle, Ramsay hosts special cooking demos and out-of-the-kitchen adventures with fans and foodies.

Ok, parts of this show are unintentionally funny.  Gordon does a segment with Andy Cohen.  "we'll be cooking the most amazing chicken breast with mushrooms and  amazing potatoes."  And of course, it will be topped by "the most amazing madeira sauce."

Then he tells one of the contestants,  to "try to stop sweating on your face." 

He calls Joel McHale "John", clearly has no idea who he is.

who's taking bets on when it will be cancelled?

I love that this show is on in the US and that the format is so close to the British version. Awesome. Simply awesome. I wish they were doing the raise an animal and then butcher the animal for the final meal piece. Must go watch past episodes....

The bit with Leslie was great, her response to the caterpillars was perfect. The Joel McHale section was exactly what it should be, stupid but funny.

The brigades cooking should be thrilled that Gordon is not allowed to yell and swear the way he did on the British version. I do miss the cook off between a celeb and Gordon. It was fun watching him try and teach cooking without being able to see what was happening. Andy's final product ended up looking like it was good but the little bit of char and the sauce debacle looks like what I do with some of the meals that I make with Hello Fresh.

Thrilled that this is on the air and I hope that it stays on for a long time.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, backformore said:

I thought he said to stop sweating on the steaks. I was very repulsed. 

There's something about this show that's just a total trainwreck, but I find it comforting. Any minute, somebody's going to swear and eat a grasshopper and Gordon Ramsay will get into a fight with a patron. 

I also find the question "Would you pay for this meal?" very interesting, because I've eaten some truly mediocre restaurant food and paid for it. I'd love it if more restaurants followed that model!

• Love 1
On 6/1/2017 at 11:14 AM, lambertman said:

I think it will be a better watch if you completely skip the in-restaurant celebrity interviews. Those were worthless. 

The rest of it had varying levels of fun that are enough me to get me to keep the season pass, but just because it's summer. 

And yes, the UK version of the show was miles better than this.  ETA: it's on Hulu, btw.

To some extent, the problem I found was that I missed the British celebrities, many of whom I did not know at all, or only vaguely generic things, so I was learning something interesting about them.  This entire format has clearly been changed up based upon what someone in a focus group said "America wants"; and largely and primarily to focus on celebrities who have current product to shill.  The UK celebrities may clearly also have had common current product to sell, but it wasn't so glaring because I was watching them out of sequence on BBCA.  It seemed more like Gordon was having actual conversations with them about their lives.

As for the team rankings, I seem to recall getting the impression from UK shows that they unofficially ranked or herded the teams into weeks based upon how well someone thought they'd do ahead of time (by which I mean, the worst teams were somehow frontloaded into the season).

On 6/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, mlp said:

Nope.  I didn't even bother with it.  I watched the first two episodes which were both bad and decided not to waste any more time with this show.

Same here, but I ran episode 4 while doing other things this week and it was better than some of them so far.  Still, I had to fast forward through some of it!

On 6/22/2017 at 2:33 AM, backformore said:

On 6/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, Allie56 said:

I thought he said to stop sweating on the steaks. I was very repulsed. 

Yeah, Gordon told the guy not to sweat on the steaks.

What makes this version (meaning the US) so much less and not as good, is the mugging and the "look at meeee!!! I'm so awesome and should be on teevee!" fame whorishness by the teams competing. It is not amusing nor is it entertaining. What makes the original and U.K. Version far superior is that the teams concentrated on the food they were making, and acted like there were no cameras filming. I mean? Headsets? Really?

If they're doing this based on fucking focus groups, then they need to STOP. As one of the producers, I don't understand why Gordon is okay with this.

And do all of them forget how to cook because they know they're being filmed? In every episode now, I've seen Gordon yell and show them how to cook, sear, whatever.?

Why am I still watching?

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What makes this version (meaning the US) so much less and not as good, is the mugging and the "look at meeee!!! I'm so awesome and should be on teevee!" fame whorishness by the teams competing.

I have not noticed this with the teams but Leslie Jones was over the top 'look at me.'  Her grit tasting was obnoxious.  Good grief.  

I am also baffled by the meals Gordon chooses for the teams to make.  Steak with mushrooms and potatoes?  No matter how good it was I wouldn't order it.  And pork chops last episode?  Not very creative.  Don't most of us order something we don't make at home?  

I did not understand why Joel offered tiny pieces of steak to the 'extras.'  Gordon even said to give them more.  I failed to see the point of that entire segment.  Granted I was drifting off to sleep and the sole reason I chose to watch this last night!  It worked, I fell asleep and didn't see which team won.  

Those king fish are a huge menace in FL, as are snakes people let loose in the everglades.  

Edited by wings707

Thanks.  I remember that team.  I liked that the girls seemed to like their stepmom.   It looked like a solid family.  I can't remember the other team at all.  

(edited)

I am also baffled by the meals Gordon chooses for the teams to make.  Steak with mushrooms and potatoes?  No matter how good it was I wouldn't order it.  And pork chops last episode?  Not very creative.  Don't most of us order something we don't make at home?

I suspect that he wants them to make something that people can make at home, which is why he shows people how to make it at home. It has been a while since I have watched the British version but I think that those dishes were a bit more complicated but not by much. I would like to see them do the celebrity cook off bit instead of the teach a celeb how to cook.

The show is totally different then the normal cooking fare. It is much more of a mish mash of cooking/travel/celeb type thing. My favorite parts of the British version was the travel element, the raising an animal element and the cook off with the celebrity. The brigade stuff was fine but more filler for me then the actual segments.

Edited by Drogo
Quote formatting.

I just watched this episode. I am glad I found it on the third episode and not the first because this one was boring. The practical joke was boring, the sit down with his kids was boring, the Snoop Dog bit was boring. Not particularly enjoyable.

(edited)

I watched as I drifted off to sleep again and missed who won.  Not a big deal since I don't remember them at all. What a scattered, unfocused show.   Better than Unisom though!  

Gordon's fat suit and makeup is too obvious so no surprise the man across from him noticed immediately.  I don't dislike the idea of disguising him but do a better job.  Try a German accent or something other than American.  

Scooping ice cream?  Why?  

Almost everyone  knows spotted Dick is a steamed pudding.  It is no longer  funny nor shocking.  Same with bubble and squeak.  The screaming and laughing in the background was nuts.  

@Drogo, I would love to hear what your daughter would say if she watched this.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

The Miracle team won, Wings.

I agree, the show is all over the place, but I am really enjoying it. It is perfect summer TV. I actually didn't know the spotted dick, but knew bubbles and squeak and the toad in the hole because of my English in-laws.

The description said there a celebrity guest, but there wasn't one?

There were three celeb guests: Jamie Alexander, Rachel Bilson and Joe Manganiello. Joe is the only person I recognized but I can't place him without looking him up. Jamie is in the Thor movies and I should recognize her but I didn't.

I have no idea about the British foods, so I was trying to figure it out.

The fat suit thing is flat out stupid. They really are not "pranks" and I don't find them all that humorous. I don't mind the going undercover to see what people think of him but I think it would be more humorous to have him watching focus groups discussing him behind the two way glass.

I still like the show, it is more light weight and Gordon isn't a asshole to people in it. I hope that it moves a bit more to where the British show was, with the animals and more food adventures and the like but this is a good start. Hell, it is the only show of his that I am watching. I burnt out on Masterchef ages ago and Hell's Kitchen long before that.

(edited)

Rachel Bilson is still adorable, and Jamie Alexander snarky, but really that was close to a waste of an hour.

45ish minutes probably isn't enough to do this format correctly. They should consider 90 minutes (which is actually about 66 minutes of content). 

EDIT - Shockingly I just looked it up and the UK version was only 48 minutes. So the US one isn't that much shorter. In other words, if they managed to do it there in 48, doing it correctly here in 45 shouldn't be impossible. That said, if they insist on game-showing it up so much then maybe the longer format I suggested still might help, since the more leisurely paced segments he did on the UK version need some breathing room I think.

Edited by Kromm

The segments in the UK version were better thought out. You had one segment on raising the animal of the season, proper care, feeding and exercise. The idea was to introduce people to were their food comes from and help them understand that the chicken you are eating was actually, well, a chicken. Then there was a travel segment with Gordon going someplace and harvesting food from the ocean, pasture or whatever and cooking it up for the people he was with. Then there was a segment with Janet Street-Porter with some type of green movement report that was normally pretty interesting but a bit out there (like horse milk and eating insects). Gordon would show up and teach someone how to cook something (a different theme each season). The stuff in the F Word kitchen was more of a fun back drop. The celeb would have a cook off with Gordon.

The US version is doing too much with the brigade and the celebs.

• Love 1

Families and friends will battle it out in a high-stakes cook-off with hopes of impressing Ramsay and special celebrity and VIP guests. During the battle, Ramsay will host special cooking demos and out-of-the-kitchen adventures.