Type keyword(s) to search

The F Word With Gordon Ramsay - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, mlp said:

Will this be shown in the U.S.?  If so, when will it start?  Thanks.

Yes! It premieres in May, I think. Don't quote me, though. And it will be LIVE.

When the promo airs during Masterchef Junior, the premiere date is mentioned.

• Love 2

A one-of-a-kind LIVE series, foodie families from across the U.S. battle it out in an intense, high-stakes cook-off.

In addition to impressing Ramsay, each team must win over the hearts and taste buds of the diners, celebrities and VIP guests whom they’re serving.

It wasn't bad and for a live show that has a lot of action happening in the kitchen, not as hectic as I expected.  What droves me nuts is the camera format kept on switching mid shot constantly.  (Admittedly I was watching it on the standard feed and switched to HD midway through.) 

The interviews with the celebs were awkward, but the crashing of the "first date" was REALLY awkward.  Egads.

End result is: it's enough to pass for a summer show for me, but nothing outstanding. 

• Love 3

I wasn't impressed.  It seemed like a lot of filler material, much of it staged, strung together to try to fill an hour.  I'll watch again just for the heck of it and then decide if I want to stick with it.

• Love 3

Why can't Gordon just replicate the U.K. Version? Where we actually see him and the contestants cook?

Jeebus.

But at least he wasn't insulting or cursing at anyone. So I did enjoy that. Though I would like to know what Kevin Spacey said that was bleeped out.?

• Love 3

From what ive seen of the UK version on Youtube,i had wished he wouldve at least brought over the cooking segments where he recites the ingredients,and how to cook them,in monotone:

"SEASON."

"SEAR."

"GRILL."

"BROIL." ,etc

then ends the segment with "(Name of dish).. DONE."

• Love 3

This show was different than what I expected. I was hoping for Gordon to cook more. Or something. 

The celebrity interviews and Gordon wearing a fat suit were unnecessary segments. 

I'll watch the next episode and decide if it's really worth my time. 

• Love 3

Families and friends battle it out in a live high-stakes cook-off, with hopes of impressing Gordon Ramsay and celebrity guests. During the battle, Ramsay hosts special cooking demos and out-of-the-kitchen adventures with fans, foodies and surprise guests.

Special celebrity guest Kal Penn joins in the fun as families and friends battle it out in a high-stakes cook-off. During the battle, Ramsay will host special cooking demos and out-of-the-kitchen adventures with Penn, fans and foodies.

(edited)

I don't know what to think of this.  It was disjointed so it was hard to get a feel for it just yet.  I will continue to watch though.

The teams cooking were very much in the background.  It would have been boring to watch them replicate the salmon dish so I didn't really care about them or who won.  And that is fine with me.  

I assume the format around the teams cooking will change every week so this may turn out to be interesting.  

ETA.  I was disappointed we didn't get a full shot of his kids. We only glimpsed his son and half of one daughter.  :-) 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I don't know what to think of this.  It was disjointed so it was hard to get a feel for it just yet.  I will continue to watch though.

Exactly. I get that it's a live show. I get that live shows can be unpredictable, but it felt like Gordon & Co were making it up as they went along. Don't they have an outline somewhere with a general idea on which direction to take it?

I'd be perfectly content to watch a straight up cooking show with Gordon like those you see on PBS. 

And yes, I realize Gordon has cooking segments on YouTube, but I'd rather watch TV. I don't use YouTube to watch shows. Just music videos. Call me old-fashioned.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

That's just it-in the U.K. version (episodes I saw), Gordon would chat with the contestants-there wasn't this urgency to hurry up! Get your dishes out!out!out! And while they were cooking, we'd see Gordon cook himself! Sometimes to show the viewers, sometimes competing against a friend, but we'd see Him cooking! This was just like Hell's Kitchen, without the swearing and insults and throwing food.

Come ON, Gordon! Gimme the same show from the U.K.!!!

• Love 7
(edited)

I think it will be a better watch if you completely skip the in-restaurant celebrity interviews. Those were worthless. 

The rest of it had varying levels of fun that are enough me to get me to keep the season pass, but just because it's summer. 

And yes, the UK version of the show was miles better than this.  ETA: it's on Hulu, btw.

Edited by lambertman
Adding info
  • Love 5

I was looking forward to this baed on commercials that make it look fun. I stuck with it until it turned into an infomercial for Jamie Fox's show. Gah, blah blah blah. I turned the channel and did not go back. Maybe I'll try an other episode, but probably not.

It's a cooking competition show, and then a talk show with a celebrity interview plopped into it. Then it's a youtube video on how to cook salmon, followed with making fun of people's efforts to copy the recipe.    Lots of people being paid to LAUGH LOUDLY at everything Gordon says, then his kids, who also laugh loudly, but maybe are not getting paid.   Gordon keeps walking into the kitchen to tell the cooks what they're doing wrong, even though he has no idea, because he just meandered in.  Tells them to take their time, while announcing how many dishes each team has made. 

OK - then an "Undercover Boss"  type segment where Gordon in disguise takes a cooking class. But, switch back to the restaurant where Gordon once again walks into the kitchen and interrupts the teams who are cooking in order to tell them they seem like they're not trying hard enough to win.  (how would he know?  he walks in and immediately says "you seem out of it") .   Then, quick, let's talk to Snoop Dog! Now, there's a couple on a first date - Gordon can interrupt them to tease the guy about what a bad date he is!  Back to the kitchen to tell the cooks they need PASSION!  then back to Snoop! then more Undercover Gordon! Then back to the kitchen.  Then Kevin Spacey on a tennis court! Then back to the restaurant.  And nobody cares who wins, because we never actually saw the food they put out. 

So it's HellsKitchen/The Chew/Tonight show/Ellen/Undercoverboss/TheKitchen and 2 or 3 more shows, all mish mashed together in one incoherent lump of frenetic paced Gordon Ramsey.   He's running around doing 17 things, and I'm bored out of my mind.

The experience of watching it was a little like watching TV with a person with ADHD who keeps switching the channel between a bunch of different shows, never settling on what they want to watch. 

• Love 7

I didn't like this, it was disjointed and boring. I don't see the point of introducing the cooking teams and describing their cooking style if they have to make the same thing which is not in either style. I could barely hear the celebrity interviews because of the background noise and what I did hear was dull. And I guess I'm supposed to laugh when anyone pretends to be fat (fat! Can you imagine) but it was dull . The part with Kevin Spacey was so rushed I don't know why it included. 

• Love 3

ETA.  I was disappointed we didn't get a full shot of his kids. We only glimpsed his son and half of one daughter.  :-) 

I think Gordon said to Snoop Dogg that the kids really want to meet him but only two were allowed to come in from London. 

14 hours ago, backformore said:

The experience of watching it was a little like watching TV with a person with ADHD who keeps switching the channel between a bunch of different shows, never settling on what they want to watch. 

This perfectly encapsulates how I felt watching this show. 

Also, I felt secondhand embarrassment (or something) during the Snoop and Family segments. Those felt awkward. 

Although I did laugh out loud when Gordon criticized the food pictures. Especially the person who used a goldfish cracker over some rice. 

I agree with everyone so far.  I thought this was going to be more like the British show, which was aired on BBC America for a while and was light years better.  It did feel like I was switching channels between different, unrelated shows.  It wasn't satisfying and I'm personally not interested in the star segments at all.  I fast forwarded through most of that.  I did enjoy seeing Gordon's kids though.  For foodies that enjoy seeing food being made, this was a frustrating show because it was like the food was in the background and I don't know what all was in the foreground - mostly useless, tiresome fluff.  It tried to be too many things and in the end didn't serve any of them very well.  I especially don't feel that the live format is necessary nor does it help improve things at all.  In fact I think it hurts the show overall.

I'll hang in for another episode for now but Mr. Snarkle has already bailed and he LOVES Ramsay so that says a lot.  Too bad, Gordon could do better than this.

• Love 3

Joel McHale joins in the fun as families and friends battle it out in a high-stakes cook-off. During the battle, Ramsay hosts special cooking demos and out-of-the-kitchen adventures with McHale, fans and foodies.

I loved the British version of this show so I was really looking forward to this.  What a disappointment!  I saw enough of Gordon kissing someone's ass to last a lifetime.  That's me, over and out.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, backformore said:

It's a cooking competition show, and then a talk show with a celebrity interview plopped into it. Then it's a youtube video on how to cook salmon, followed with making fun of people's efforts to copy the recipe.    Lots of people being paid to LAUGH LOUDLY at everything Gordon says, then his kids, who also laugh loudly, but maybe are not getting paid.   Gordon keeps walking into the kitchen to tell the cooks what they're doing wrong, even though he has no idea, because he just meandered in.  Tells them to take their time, while announcing how many dishes each team has made. 

OK - then an "Undercover Boss"  type segment where Gordon in disguise takes a cooking class. But, switch back to the restaurant where Gordon once again walks into the kitchen and interrupts the teams who are cooking in order to tell them they seem like they're not trying hard enough to win.  (how would he know?  he walks in and immediately says "you seem out of it") .   Then, quick, let's talk to Snoop Dog! Now, there's a couple on a first date - Gordon can interrupt them to tease the guy about what a bad date he is!  Back to the kitchen to tell the cooks they need PASSION!  then back to Snoop! then more Undercover Gordon! Then back to the kitchen.  Then Kevin Spacey on a tennis court! Then back to the restaurant.  And nobody cares who wins, because we never actually saw the food they put out. 

So it's HellsKitchen/The Chew/Tonight show/Ellen/Undercoverboss/TheKitchen and 2 or 3 more shows, all mish mashed together in one incoherent lump of frenetic paced Gordon Ramsey.   He's running around doing 17 things, and I'm bored out of my mind.

You described this perfectly....the show was so hard to follow! And those darn celebrity interviews do not need to be there.  Like you said it was jumping all over the place.  Now, I love me some Gordon Ramsey so I was excited for another show....but this one literally stunk!

"apologies to Bobby Flay as we ran out of time." (record scratches) We could have made time if we did away with the screeching bridal party and the filmed bit with the interaction video outside, SHOW.  And I don't even like Bobby Flay!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

"apologies to Bobby Flay as we ran out of time." (record scratches) We could have made time if we did away with the screeching bridal party and the filmed bit with the interaction video outside, SHOW.  And I don't even like Bobby Flay!

That is probably humor.  He may be taking a page out of Jimmie Kimmel's book.  Every night Jimmy says, sorry  to Matt Damon, we ran out of time.  It is a running joke he has been doing for a couple of years.  

NASCAR?  What? 

5 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Calling it..Flay himself makes an appearance,if not in the next episode,then the season finale LOL

Every night Jimmy says, sorry  to Matt Damon, we ran out of time.  It is a running joke he has been doing for a couple of years.  

And I did wonder if that was the point of it...needing his own version of that long term gag.  I hope not.

Any goodwill and "give it a second chance" I felt were wiped out irrevocably by GR spending one nano second with that inane bridal party.  Those "girls" looked too old for that shtick.  The bride to be was probably early 30's, but in her attempt to relive her boozy early 20's, with all the make up troweled on, she ended up looking closer to early 40's.  And outside of Vegas, do women still dress up in costume for bachelorette parties?  I thought that shit went out with the last case of Zima.

• Love 5

It was boring.  I liked the fact he didn't yell so much at the groups in the challenge.  I liked the guest sightings.  The pace was too slow.  I love Snoop but I agree with @Surrealist that it seemed very uncomfortable.

When they gave the results of the competition I was amazed of how low both scores were.  The only question was, "Would you pay for this meal".  The Spice Boys only got somewhere in the 40% - OMG.  The Italian team won with somewhere in the 60%.  Interesting and embarrassing all at the same time.

I wonder how long ago this was filmed.  Gordon made a big deal about being in his 40s but he turned 50 last fall.  I thought the show was supposed to be "live."

I may leave this show on in the background after MC if I have nothing else to do or watch but I'm basically out.  It's pretty terrible.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

James was hilarious in the cookoff against Gordon. 

I love James and the two are friends so it was extra fun.  

2 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I'd be perfectly happy if James and Gordon did a cooking show. 

Yes, I would love that, too. 

2 hours ago, mlp said:

I wonder how long ago this was filmed.  Gordon made a big deal about being in his 40s but he turned 50 last fall.  I thought the show was supposed to be "live."

I may leave this show on in the background after MC if I have nothing else to do or watch but I'm basically out.  It's pretty terrible.

Yes, I watched this episode in the background.  

Pork is versatile and my favorite meat but never chops or tenderloin, too dry.  I have mastered the moist pork chop but it involves bread crumbs to lock in the moisture.  They are delicious but you can't do a fancy dijon pan sauce.  I butter them, breadcrumbs and bake in a hot oven (425).   Yum  It is often requested by my youngest son.  He craves them. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

James was hilarious in the cookoff against Gordon. 

3 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I'd be perfectly happy if James and Gordon did a cooking show. 

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! I want to see more of this and more of Gordon in a voiceover, showing us how to cook! Though I wish he wouldn't speak so fast so I could write it down! Like those carmelized apples!!! I loved and howled ?????when James threw the burnt! Not!carmelized veg away, and then pulled a fast one on Gordon by ladling the broth, only to take it and use it for his own dish!????????

Or when Gordon tried to fake an injury but James wasn't falling for it!???

Those two parts were more like the U.K. version of the show!

Another family who tells us they can communicate without speaking? Last week's Crazy Paesans said the same EXACT thing!??

And wot??? Did my eyes deceive me or did Gordon have to SHOW the Cuban family dude how to make tender pork chops because people who were eating theirs, said it was too dry? Gordon, this ain't Masterchef Junior! And did anyone catch what Gordon was saying that would help render the fat and make the chops moist?

Halfway through; will post my thoughts when I'm done with the second half.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:33 PM, wings707 said:

Yes, I watched this episode in the background. 

Me too, in the background while reading PTV.  And fast forwarding through a lot of it.

I actually liked the part where Gordon instructed the Cuban family guy on how to do moist pork chops in a frying pan by putting them on the fat end first.  I'm going to try that next time.

The bridesmaids were a little mortifying

If it's any consolation, this appears to be a limited time series with a finale so perhaps it won't come back again after that.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, mlp said:

That segment might have been filmed earlier, but that much earlier?  Seems a little suspicious!  Good catch!

• Love 1