Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Boy or Girl For Jill?

• Start Topic

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, Snickerdoodle said:

Joy went to her future in-laws and they made her cook?  Nice. 

I saw the cooking as a "test" given by the inlaws. This time it was dessert and seasoning/grilling meat - next time it will probably be something harder.

One day she is going to have to host some family or holiday meal. Best to know now if you can pass off Thanksgiving onto someone else, or are they only good for bringing "non-cook" items for the meal. Plus Austin might be an "eater" (i.e. expecting 3 squares on the table 7 days a week), so they want to make sure the wife-to-be can cook. Jessa kinda did something similar but it was only Ben's sisters - a little more relaxed atmosphere.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Jeremy may be conceited and self centered but he seems absolutely fascinated by Jinger.  

I wonder how long that will last?  Odd little ducks are interesting for a while & then they become annoying.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, BitterApple said:

That was ridiculous. The outfit fell off the hanger after Jordyn got excited and jumped up and down. .

why was the outfits in such a large size ?? all the needed was one blue and one pink onesie - size 0-3 months

• Love 7

The girl outfit was even more hideous than the boy outfit. What were they thinking?

It's already been mentioned , but I was surprised and bothered by just how vocal Cathy was about her disappointment that it's another boy. I can see her rooting for a girl--my daughter's MIL was the same way because she, like Cathy, had never had a daughter--but the moment she found out our mutual grandchild was a boy, she adjusted her expectations and was ecstatic. Even after a little time seemed to have passed, Cathy was visibly bummed, and it weirded me out. I officially flat-out dislike her. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, pinguina said:

It seems as if he has latched on to the idea that if he behaves younger he might get more attention

Or he may have real delays. Probably we will never know which.

• Love 4
(edited)

Mom of 2 boys, 5 older brothers and first sex reveal as a gma. All I wanted was 10 fingers and 10 toes. Derick was an absolute jerk scolding Lost Girl, she was so excited to be the center of attention. So the reason to have 2 fugly outfits was for us, the audience? Why not have just a cute boy outfit or a blue note in the box.  These idiots exhaust me. Think we'll see Jinger in pants like I have in photos? Hope so. Babe and Babe seem happy. Hope Jinger takes classes and gets out on her own with friends. Her future is brighter since leaving Duggarville.

BTW, boy grandbaby we are thrilled 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 11
34 minutes ago, Portia said:

The girl outfit was even more hideous than the boy outfit. What were they thinking?

It's already been mentioned , but I was surprised and bothered by just how vocal Cathy was about her disappointment that it's another boy. I can see her rooting for a girl--my daughter's MIL was the same way because she, like Cathy, had never had a daughter--but the moment she found out our mutual grandchild was a boy, she adjusted her expectations and was ecstatic. Even after a little time seemed to have passed, Cathy was visibly bummed, and it weirded me out. I officially flat-out dislike her. 

If Cathy wants a girl that much she should take one of the lost girls under her wing. We all know they're starved for positive attention.

• Love 22

I can't get over one specific line in Joy's marriage indoctrination audio in the car: "We will explore eight reasons to center your marriage around his mission."

At first, I took that to mean "Christ's mission," but now I think it must mean "your husband's mission." Oh man, so sad. Joy has to center her marriage around shitty houses in rural Arkansas, e.g., Austin's mission, I guess.

Also, I can smell Derick through the TV. That is all.

• Love 11
59 minutes ago, Portia said:

Jill and Derick didn't seem too happy either. I guess they'll have to wait for Round 3 to pop out their future nanny/house slave.

• Love 13

I see subtle quick changes in Jessa's behaviors with Spurgie. She is so performing for the cameras. I half expected to hear the theme song from Leave it to Beaver or Ozzie and Harriet, especially while she was sitting at the table with the kids.

I'm thinking maybe Miss Cathy ran a tight and quiet ship raising her boys. Derick is clueless and rigid when it comes to kids.

And who cares what the ginder is, its not like Samuel is the last kid. Odds are they'll have a girl eventually.

I very much agree with you all, Pinterest is damaging to the world at large.

@PinkyCupcake, you'll have to ask @Celia Rubenstein if you can join our union. I'm the meek one.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Noticed that the M's were there but Anna was missing, how do they decide which episodes they want her in? Also since both Jessa & Jill have had their second child and didn't go with the same letter names, how does she feel being the only one to follow her in laws with this? Also since j&j haven't will she continue with the letter M? 

Noticed this too. Do the Smuggars get paid if the Mkids are in the episode? Did they use the letter M to "honor" Mechelle? The Duggars always said once the first 3 kids were J names, they had to continue or the non J name would feel slighted or left out (or some such nonsense)

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Noticed this too. Do the Smuggars get paid if the Mkids are in the episode? Did they use the letter M to "honor" Mechelle? The Duggars always said once the first 3 kids were J names, they had to continue or the non J name would feel slighted or left out (or some such nonsense)

I call bullshit on that.  It's all about Jim Bob.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, sATL said:

Joy went to her future in-laws and they made her cook?  Nice. 

I saw it as producer driven, and comparable to Jinge's learning to cook Italian by Babe's grandma.  Of course the grandma scene was actually entertaining, but cooking was just a story line excuse.  It made more sense for Joy to do the cooking--she's one of the "stars" of the show, not Ma Forsyth.  So Jessa learned to cook Bin's favorite pie, Jinge learned about Jeremy's favorite meatballs, and Joy got the cheesecake scene.  It was kind of funny that Ma Forsyth reached into the treasured recipe box and pulled out that lazy cheesecake recipe LOL!  My mom's recipe box had great stuff in it, like my grandmother's excellent barbecued meatballs and Parker House rolls.

Next time on Counting On:  Kendra learns to cook Joe's favorite--chickenetti!

• Love 13
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I had forgotten about this.......at the end of the reveal, Jill told the kids that weren't opening the "bundle" to go down on their knees. I get why, but I have never seen those kids respond so quickly.

Yes, Jill really took charge there.  Meanwhile Michelle was in the background repeating everything Jill said in a sing-songy voice.  I thought they responded better to Jill than their own mother.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

@PinkyCupcake, you'll have to ask @Celia Rubenstein if you can join our union. I'm the meek one.

Lol yeah even though I knew Celia was the headship, I still thought I'd ask your opinion... What was I thinking! Of course Celia calls all the shots. I must have watched too much TV or something. All those wild notions coming to mind. Well, guess I'm off to the prayer closet again (with a flask of vodka).

Edited by PinkyCupcake
Verb tense
  • Love 2

I don't know.  When I watch the show they all seem happy but they are so young to be burdened with the responsibility of such young children so close together.  They seem to be living life back in the 60's when that's all women did.  Get married have a baby.

Young women today are well educated and have good jobs before getting married and becoming parents.  Raising children is a labor of love.  24/7. 

I don't know.  Seems like I kind of want a bit more for these young ladies. 

I don't really see the Joy in Joy.  Is she really into this marriage or is this just another season for the show.  She is a very young 19 unlike the other girls who always seemed a bit older.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Crazy - Austin can smoosh a baked potato and Jeremy adds cream first in coffee so he doesn't dirty a spoon and these girls are so impressed. Whats next, Joe will show Kendra how he slips his sneakers on & off without untying them?

Imagine the bible believing- fecund-Konmari-supermodel-Betty Crocker they could lure with chop stick skills.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, sATL said:

why was the outfits in such a large size ?? all the needed was one blue and one pink onesie - size 0-3 months

They need a large size.  I doubt any Dillard baby could fit into 0-3 months. My mother taught me as always start as 6 months that way if the baby is bigger there is a better chance of fitting and if not, they can grow into it.  Our family tends towards 8 pound babies, but Jill's last baby  was 10 pounds.

11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I see subtle quick changes in Jessa's behaviors with Spurgie. She is so performing for the cameras. I half expected to hear the theme song from Leave it to Beaver or Ozzie and Harriet, especially while she was sitting at the table with the kids.

I'm thinking maybe Miss Cathy ran a tight and quiet ship raising her boys. Derick is clueless and rigid when it comes to kids.

Jessa always performs for the cameras. She's just gotten a new role.

Miss Cathy was raising the D-boys along with Pistol Pete Senior. Maybe it was PP Sr who was strict.

9 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don't really see the Joy in Joy.  Is she really into this marriage or is this just another season for the show.  She is a very young 19 unlike the other girls who always seemed a bit older.

Most 19-year-olds are...they are finishing their freshman year in college, have gone to keggers, dated many immature boys, gained the Freshman 15, pulled an all-nighter,  snuck out of the dorm, gotten drunk and puked, etc, etc,etc. That's the maturity level of most 19-year-olds. Poor Joy. She gets to mix cream cheese and boxed pudding together with an electric mixer.

• Love 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, sATL said:

Still trying to watch this eposide.

1) what kind of car was Joy driving to her future in-laws house? Looks kinda fancy for something found at an auction.

16 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

2010-2013 Mercedes-Benz E350 sedan with sunroof. 

JB's been in the used car biz for a long time, as was his father before him. I'm sure he has more sources for vehicles than what he can randomly find at auctions. 

13 hours ago, Petrichor said:

I can't get over one specific line in Joy's marriage indoctrination audio in the car: "We will explore eight reasons to center your marriage around his mission."

At first, I took that to mean "Christ's mission," but now I think it must mean "your husband's mission." Oh man, so sad. Joy has to center her marriage around shitty houses in rural Arkansas, e.g., Austin's mission, I guess.

EDITED to add this: I shoulda done a better Google job. I found that quoted sentence ^^ in a book called You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity, by Francis Chan and Lisa Chan. It's definitely about the burning need to proselytize and save souls for Christ. It portrays the world as a battlefield where people are dying and Christians must eternally fight the good fight. My Google search didn't let me read more than a few pages so I didn't get to read all eight reasons, but the first few painted the picture. 

So, no surprise that Joy and Austin's honeymoon includes going with that group to Israel. To do whatever it is they think they're doing in the name of Jesus.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

They need a large size.  I doubt any Dillard baby could fit into 0-3 months. My mother taught me as always start as 6 months that way if the baby is bigger there is a better chance of fitting and if not, they can grow into it.  Our family tends towards 8 pound babies, but Jill's last baby  was 10 pounds.

True.  But that"baby" boy outfit was more like a size 4T!

• Love 10

Jessa looked annoyed that Spurgie was taking time from dealing with Henry. 

It's really hard to have two little ones like that, each needing mommy constantly.  This might slow Jessa's roll with her baseball team idea. 

• Love 11

I agree that those two 'baby' outfits were more for toddlers and DID look to be sizes 4T. That toddler girl outfit, IMO, was awful. I wouldn't dress up any of my daughters in that get up. I also never bought 0-3 months for my children before they were born as I started them in 6 months. They weighed 6.12lbs and 7.09lbs at birth. No way will Jill's babies EVER wear anything smaller than 9 months, if that.

I don't think Jessa should have been cooking with Henry in that sling in front of a hot stove. What's wrong with these girls? Nothing wrong with putting him in a bassinette while she takes care of Spurge, who was still quite little and needed his mother just the same. No planning on their part if you ask me.

• Love 11

I kept my infants in slings and wraps.  NEVER when cooking.  It's really just common sense. Some oil can splash up, even a drop, on an infant's face or head. Not good!!!

I can so clearly remember having my youngest child snuggly wrapped and asking my teens to stir pasta because I wouldn't even get close to hot liquid with a baby. 

She also had the baby placed wrong. That sling was not for an infant with no head control. Jessa knew it too because she kept putting her hand behind his head.  Duh. Buy a wrap that works for infants AND babies/young toddlers.  Poor Henry's little head was all over.  

• Love 12
(edited)

Spurge... keep being Spurge...throw those adorable pouty fits.

Keep whining loud so mommy won't want another baby too soon.

Keep trying to tunnel onto her lap through Henry so she'll keep dad off of her...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 13
(edited)

I wonder how ad revenues are doing for this show.

TLC did show it twice on Monday night, which is more than they've done the last couple of weeks. Next week it looks like they'll show the Joy Gets Engaged episode twice, as well. But they aren't running any repeats of Counting On episodes - at all. I don't know squat about the teevee biz, but I assume they'll schedule the repeats that will generate the best ad revenues for the time slots. So Say Yes to the Dress must be advertiser gold, because it seems like it's always on TLC. Well, by now they also have a zillion episodes in the vault. (They also have a zillion episodes of 19K&C and its predecessor shows, but they're advertiser poison. The TLC bean counters must be crying in their beer everytime they think of it.)

If the Duggars can outlast the lingering stink of Joshgate and draw some advertisers, they could be on TLC for a long time. I suppose it depends on how soon advertisers will come back on board. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2

At the moment, TLC might not be making money with “Counting On”, but they seem to be making up for it with their other shows. There are so many ads on “90 Day Fiance” and “Little People Big World”, that sometimes I forget what I am watching. 

I can’t help but marvel at the fact that in the “Duggar girls’ husband sweepstakes”, the winners might be Jinger and Joy.  Who woulda thunk it?!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

This might slow Jessa's roll with her baseball team idea. 

Especially if Michelle refuses to loan out Hannie and Jana for Sister-Mom duty. Jessa will just have to dump Spurge off at the TTH, the same way Jill and Anna do with Iz and the Mkids.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

13 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

12 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

1 hour ago, Marigold said:

It's really hard to have two little ones like that, each needing mommy constantly.  This might slow Jessa's roll with her baseball team idea. 

9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Especially if Michelle refuses to loan out Hannie and Jana for Sister-Mom duty. Jessa will just have to dump Spurge off at the TTH, the same way Jill and Anna do with Iz and the Mkids.

I think the solution will be fostering or adopting girls that can babysit, stir pasta, entertain the force.  Jessa has always talked about doing that and they are looking for a larger home.  Perfect idea for a season when they don't have weddings and babies arriving during shows. 

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 2

Adopt an au pair rather than pay one.That's just lovely.

It's finally happened...I just don't care. It's not even good snark material anymore.

They're incredibly dull people with unidimensional lives...Bible and babies. Boy, girl, twins, blablabla. Who cares?

Let them breed themselves to ultimate extinction. Most unchecked populations eventually collapse inward.

I don't even care enough to watch for that eventuality.

Last blessing out of the TTH please turn out the lights.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

Nothing will slow her roll....and it's not her roll to slow....the baseball (or was it football??....isn't that Bin's fake ministry thing??)  team idea is Bin's....so it sticks.

3 hours ago, floridamom said:

I agree that those two 'baby' outfits were more for toddlers and DID look to be sizes 4T. That toddler girl outfit, IMO, was awful.

Bet those outfits will get rewrapped and given to the last Mgirl and Mboy for their birthdays. Surprise, Mkids!

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I can’t help but marvel at the fact that in the “Duggar girls’ husband sweepstakes”, the winners might be Jinger and Joy.  Who woulda thunk it?!

As long as those two do not have babies, I am interested.  Once they are pregnant, they become boring.  

When will they learn that no children for awhile makes it more interesting for the couple as well as their viewing audience?  That is, if they want to remain on TV... 

And that girl outfit...would they even allow a girl to wear it or is it for a brazen hussy girl?  It confused me.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 5

In my opinion, all the couples are boring during courting time, wedding time, marriage time, no baby at the time, pregnancy/surprise we are having a baby time, having the kid time, whining and complaining I cannot handle one to more child time, we are pregnant again time and etc. etc.

I think Jessa was her old bitchy, cold, stone faced self with Spurgie in the kitchen. She had Hank with her and all her attention was for him, IMO. I still don't think Jessa is a warm, loving person, even to her own children, unless they're the 'new one'.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I think Jessa was her old bitchy, cold, stone faced self with Spurgie in the kitchen. She had Hank with her and all her attention was for him, IMO. I still don't think Jessa is a warm, loving person, even to her own children, unless they're the 'new one'.

You've just described Mechelle.

• Love 17
48 minutes ago, floridamom said:

The 'new one' is a newborn who needs his mother for everything right now. I think Jessa has posts that show she is a normal loving mother towards Spurgeon. She is a hell of a lot better than her mother or Jill, (based on what they post on social media or leave in the show). Spurgeon will find his place just like all children that get bumped for the next one. Izzy might be manipulative and self centred according to the Dullards, but the Seewalds have said it will take time for Spurgeon. Those are very different approaches, enough to make me think Jessa is much more natural mother than she was raised to be. It's normal for a newborn to take time and attention away and for the family to settle into the new family dynamic. 

• Love 12

I think Jessa is leaps and bounds better with her kids than Jill is with Izzy, but it won't stay like that if she's on the same baby-making schedule as Michelle and Anna. I remember Anna being super attentive and loving when she just had Mack and Michael, and now she's stressed, frazzled and barely holding on. I know Josh has a lot to do with that, but four little ones under six ain't helping either. It will get even worse once the show is finally cancelled and the TLC money runs out. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

I think Jessa is leaps and bounds better with her kids than Jill is with Izzy, but it won't stay like that if she's on the same baby-making schedule as Michelle and Anna. I remember Anna being super attentive and loving when she just had Mack and Michael, and now she's stressed, frazzled and barely holding on. I know Josh has a lot to do with that, but four little ones under six ain't helping either. It will get even worse once the show is finally cancelled and the TLC money runs out. 

I agree. Every natural instinct will be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, and the kids will be handed off to the lost girls, or whoever has daughters old enough (M girls?). The kids will only have the 6 months to barely bond, then off to the Gothard mind &^%%& factory. It's just strange that Jill seems already at this point with 1. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

When they were at the table, I thought Spurgie grabbed for his sippy cup & said "milk" & Jessa pulled it out of his reach rather than giving it to him.  It happened when they first sat down & I thought he must be thirsty.  Poor kid.  I'm hoping I saw it wrong.

• Love 2