Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Boy or Girl For Jill?

• Start Topic

(edited)

The only potatoes the Duggars eat are French fries or instant mash. Fresh vegetables are an exotic concept to them. They're probably shocked to see tomatoes growing on a vine instead of being squirted out a ketchup bottle.

Joy seems much bolder around Austin's family than she does her own. I actually kind of liked her "let's just get married" comment because its rare in their world for a woman to be blunt and specific about her desires. I also thought it was sweet how she told Jackson she loved him as she was leaving the TTH. I wonder when's the last time the poor kid heard that from his parents?

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

He may care for Cathy's two sons, but he probably does not give a fig about being on the show or the way Derick is running his life now. He probably think the Duggars are six short of a six pack and do not care for them at all. I would love to see his take on the whole thing because he seems to be the only one with half a brain when it comes not to be a famewhorer with the smug attitude the Duggar family is famous for.

Cathy's husband would make a great TH though.

• Love 7

Can someone explain what Joy was trying to do with that baked potato? Wasn't paying attention and when I looked up, I saw Austin standing next to Joy squishing her baked potato and her saying - you're a genius - and I wasn't sure why.

It was bold and desperate when they were talking about families and Joy fitting in with Austin family and she announces -- let's just get married then. I know she could not wait to get married to get the hell out of the TTH but that sounded desperate in a culture where she deferred to her groom on her wedding day re how to wear her hair.

• Love 2

Hannie has had those awful scabs on her forehead for several episodes now.  And seen on pictures from their Facebook.  I wonder if she picks herself in a nervous sort of way.  I knew a little girl who picked her skin, and even pulled out her eyelashes.

Jill was folding a load of laundry and she hadn't bothered sorting the urine soaked and poop filled diapers from the pants and shirts before washing.  That is just gross.

Jessa cooked what looked like 4 scrambled eggs.  I assumed she was eating along with Spurgeon, but then they left the table with most eggs left. And how about a slice of fruit and a healthy carb Iike oatmeal or whole wheat toast, also?

Spurgeon is getting a lot more fussy since Henry was born;  I was thrilled that he was tolerated and allowed to have his little fits. Ezzo and Pearl followers would have spanked him!

At first, I thought it was Michelle on that marriage prep tape!

The whole jinder reveal was just horrible and totally unnecessary.  It's going to be a boy or girl, okay?  It doesn't matter what it's going to be since they will all breed several of each anyway.

The cheese and the eggs difinely need to all be room temperature for a good cheese cake.  I didn't see any eggs used, so maybe Jello Pudding boxed cheesecake mix?

Again , the jinder reveal party was disturbing.  All those adolescent and adult males and females trying to pretend to be excited over the sex.  IRL, I can't even imagine single adolescent and adult people attending a party of that nature.  Especially within their own family when a new pregnancy is announced every other month, it seems.

• Love 9

I actually enjoyed Joy's little nod and wink about getting married.  I don't blame her for wanting to get the heck out of Dodge.  I can well imagine that since three of her older sisters got married, a lot of chores have fallen on her.  My heart goes out to Jana and Hannie.

Maybe I missed it, but since having Henry, I haven't seen Jessa hold or cuddle Spurge. It's like he now has to fend for himself.  Poor little guy! It's such an abrupt change that he has to be confused. 

I wish I had a nickel for every time Derick mentioned going back to Central America.  He is clearly, "work shy" as the Brits would say. 

Jinger seems to be enjoying her new life.  She might actually be "free" after all. 

• Love 11

Spurgeon is getting a lot more fussy since Henry was born;  I was thrilled that he was tolerated and allowed to have his little fits. Ezzo and Pearl followers would have spanked him!

I liked that Ben and Jessa acknowledged that since Spurgeon can't talk yet, they have to figure out what he needs or wants. No use of the word manipulative. 2 points, Seewalds.

• Love 21
(edited)

Miracle Josie has a bruise on her forehead, someone wasn't carrying her carefully.  Next week, Austin goes all 50 Shades with the blindfold.  What is happening here?

Edited by sheshark
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I also thought it was sweet how she told Jackson she loved him as she was leaving the TTH. I wonder when's the last time the poor kid heard that from his parents?

I was amused that he said "Yes, ma'am" to her when she reminded him to take out the trash.

Was it just me, or did it seem like Jeremy did not comprehend that "el" means "the"? The way he tried to add "el" when he was trying to come up with the word for "zero" (it's not, "the zero," Jer...) and a couple of other comments he made during the flashcard scene made it seem like he really wasn't getting it.

At least Joy had her hair up when cooking for the Forsyths... no stray hairs in the cheesecake.

37 minutes ago, louannems said:

Hannie has had those awful scabs on her forehead for several episodes now.

I think they've been there since at least last summer.

Was anyone else amused by a couple of the older Duggar boys responding with, "Probably Josie" as their vote for worst cook? Only "probably"?

Tyler appeared to be giving serious side-eye to the weird outfit that came out of the gender reveal box. Hilarious.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, louannems said:

The cheese and the eggs difinely need to all be room temperature for a good cheese cake.  I didn't see any eggs used, so maybe Jello Pudding boxed cheesecake mix?

I'm not watching this shitshow but I bet the cheesecake is the no bake cheesecake that's been on the Philly boxes since at least the 70s. I made it in college before I learned to make real cheesecake.  You combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and then whip in some jemon juice which gives it its texture. You top it with cherry or blueberry pie filling or whatever. It okay, not great, not gross.  Easily put together but beginning cooks. 

Edited by latetotheparty
Way too much quoting
  • Love 9

Spurgeon is getting a lot more fussy since Henry was born;  I was thrilled that he was tolerated and allowed to have his little fits.

I can well imagine that this is a difficult time for Spurge.  He is no longer the center of his mother's universe.  He appears to be perplexed and confused. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

For crying out loud, Derrick, get a haircut and SHAVE!!!

Hate gender reveal parties/events.  Just say what you're having or keep it a secret.  Everyone will know eventually anyway.  Ugh!

Me too.  I just think they're dumb.  I didn't care what I was having...just wanted a healthy baby.  And the gender is already decided anyway.  Why set yourself up for disappointment?  I know someone who cried in the hospital for a day because she had a son and she really wanted a daughter.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

My takeaway from tonight's show: does Michelle do anything? They all kept talking about who did laundry, who was the better cook, who did the party planning, who went grocery shopping, etc. but Michelle's name was never mentioned. I understand in a family that big you need the help but really, what does she do? 

Has sex with JimBob of course!

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Tyler is Mechelle's grand-nephew. His mother had him very young and has had drug/alcohol problems, became unable to care for him, so she granted custody of him to her mother, Mechelle's older sister. Then Mechelle's sister had a stroke and couldn't care for him, either. Duggars took over temporary custody, but were granted permanent guardianship, I guess because the sister isn't capable of taking him back. I guess this could be reversed at some point in the future, but sister is in her 60's, and I saw her on crutches on pictures before she had her stroke, so she's not a good bet to raise this kid up. Not as if the Duggars are much better with their shitty homeschooling. 

Poor Tyler. 

Me too.  It seems his mother had problems, then his grandmother, but I'm going to assume he got to do normal things like go to public school, watch tv and play video games.  Then he goes to live w/the Duggars and all their nonsense.  It would be like me suddenly becoming Amish.  How boring!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I liked that Ben and Jessa acknowledged that since Spurgeon can't talk yet, they have to figure out what he needs or wants. No use of the word manipulative. 2 points, Seewalds.

But then the 2 points get taken away for not putting contacting Birth to Three for early intervention, or, at the least, getting the book called "Baby Signs". He should be talking better than that.

Henry was wobbling backwards to avoid the splatters from the food in the hot As Seen on TV copper pans. Smart kid already.

When Jessa threw Henry down on the couch and opened up her bible, I had to stifle a laugh....she most likely watches the Kardashians during naptime when the cameras aren't around..

That secret investigation or whatever it was, was the dumbest thing ever. Every time a clue was found, the camera was there to film it. Geez. Pretty hard to figure out by the home-schooled-by-Mullet-Jkids, with a TLC camera person crawling under things ahead of them.  We'll probably be seeing that hat on Jackson until he leaves for Alert Camp.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I'm not watching this shitshow but I bet the cheesecake is the no bake cheesecake that's been on the Philly boxes since at least the 70s. I made it in college before I learned to make real cheesecake.  You combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and then whip in some jemon juice which gives it its texture. You top it with cherry or blueberry pie filling or whatever. It okay, not great, not gross.  Easily put together but beginning cooks. 

It was made in one of those ready made graham cracker crust pans. So, to me it was a pie, not a cake, lol. And they did put it in the oven.

I wouldn't eat anything that Mrs. Forsyth cooked. Omg that hair!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, drafan said:

But then the 2 points get taken away for not putting contacting Birth to Three for early intervention, or, at the least, getting the book called "Baby Signs". He should be talking better than that.

Henry was wobbling backwards to avoid the splatters from the food in the hot As Seen on TV copper pans. Smart kid already.

When Jessa threw Henry down on the couch and opened up her bible, I had to stifle a laugh....she most likely watches the Kardashians during naptime when the cameras aren't around..

That secret investigation or whatever it was, was the dumbest thing ever. Every time a clue was found, the camera was there to film it. Geez. Pretty hard to figure out by the home-schooled-by-Mullet-Jkids, with a TLC camera person crawling under things ahead of them.  We'll probably be seeing that hat on Jackson until he leaves for Alert Camp.

During those scenes wasn't Spurgeon just over a year old? I wouldn't expect a 14month old to have better language skills than he was displaying- I wouldn't think to put him in early intervention at that point. 

• Love 12

Spurgeon seems ok to me as far as speech, considering when this was filmed. He has an advantage, imo. His parents talk with him, not at him, and they speak normally, not all squeaky and weird, lol.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

During those scenes wasn't Spurgeon just over a year old? I wouldn't expect a 14month old to have better language skills than he was displaying- I wouldn't think to put him in early intervention at that point. 

He was 15 months old. He should be saying about 14 words. Of course, no Duggar would know anything about developmental milestones or know to teach him baby signs to ease his frustration.

Back to the show: completely forgot the quote of the night:

Joy : "So we should  get married. Then we can do it."  ( slightly paraphrasing here)  I think she was talking about making cheesecake for her beloved, but one never knows. That cheesecake looked like it had 5 ingredients.....pre-made crust complete with pan, cream cheese, pudding mix, cherry pie filling, and of course the 5th ingredient in all Duggar "cooking" , someone's hair (in this case the MIL's) . There was no "baking"...that oven scene was faked.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Derrick struck me as an extremely uptight, controlling dick noodle in this episode.  He was overly dictatorial when explaining the stupid clue game, just so *precise* when talking to a squad of kids whose average age hovered around 7.  They were going to be assisted by older kids, dude.  Lighten up.

Then when they unboxed that shabby little boy's outfit and it was getting waved around he was all "gentle, gentle" like he was coaching a toddler how to handle a bunny.  That crap came from the thrift store or communal family wardrobe, Derrick, it not a mink coat from Saks.  Get over yourself.

After seeing him act that way on the heels of seeing him snapping at Izzy over finishing his music lesson, I am starting to think that our Derrick may not "have a heart for children," if not actually seriously dislike them.  

I thought it was just me! He is very uptight. I was like, "Lighten up dude! It's just an outfit and not a very good one at that!" To be a fly on the wall of the Dillard household! 

• Love 13
(edited)
19 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Derrick struck me as an extremely uptight, controlling dick noodle in this episode.   

16 minutes ago, ForeverPluto said:

I thought it was just me! He is very uptight. I was like, "Lighten up dude! It's just an outfit and not a very good one at that!" To be a fly on the wall of the Dillard household! 

Sad to think about. She was reared in the harsh disciplinary system of the Pearls and their ilk. He probably wasn't, but seems to be as big a kool-aid drinker as Jill. He's certainly not been shy about spouting harsh comments about his tiny son's behavior. 

Now that I think a bit more about it, it's beyond sad. It's creepy. I would totally believe that they do blanket training or similarly harsh and abusive forms of "discipline."

Yet another reason that TLC needs to write these sad sack inarticulate twits off the show. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Hate gender reveal parties/events.  Just say what you're having or keep it a secret.  Everyone will know eventually anyway.  Ugh!

I think these people, the women especially, have so little happening in their lives so they over-emphasize the things that do. They can turn one new baby into four 'events,' pregnancy announcement, gender reveal, shower, and then the actual birth. Just things to stave off boredom, probably.

19 hours ago, pinguina said:

And the news that Jill does have blood flowing to her brain, that was a surprise.

I actually am a little surprised to hear that. ?

• Love 9

Just watched this episode 

I feel for Spurgie, I saw absolutely no love or affection towards him in this episode.  

Land Hank's head flopping around in the carrier, I just wanted to cry 

Again I see a very brief flash of anger on Jessa's face when dealing with Spurge, I still maintain tha Jessa isn't the Earth Mother she is trying to portray 

I thought the mystery hunt was a nice idea for the little kids,  I don't they get much to challenge their brains at home so it gets a thumbs up from me. 

Still don't understand why they used Izzy's clothes for the reveal. Maybe everything baby was packed away? Maybe that outfit has some special meaning for them? 

Jeremy and Jinger annoy me so much, I get a really controlling vibe from Jerbabe, combined with a smugness.

Jinbabe is just a sheep to  Jerbabe, maybe she'll grow into her own person with time, but I'm not hopeful

I thought Joy was really relaxed and natural with her in laws, that was refreshing to see, she seemed to want to learn about cooking so maybe her nutritional standard will increase with more time spent with her inlaws

Still feel sad for Spurgie. It's possible to love a child while caring for a newborn, but I saw none of it for Spurge

• Love 6
2 hours ago, drafan said:

He was 15 months old. He should be saying about 14 words. Of course, no Duggar would know anything about developmental milestones or know to teach him baby signs to ease his frustration.

That's an average, though. My niece had nearly two hundred words and was making 3-word sentences at 14 months, and my nephew never said a word until nearly four years. (Both of those are way outside the norm.) They're both doing very well in college now. It's too early to worry about Spurgeon.  

• Love 18
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Jinger's Spanish was better than I expected, and Jeremy's was worse.

If somebody tried to make me wear a stupid hat and go on a stupid scavenger hunt just to find out the answer to a 50/50 probability about their baby that I do not even want to hear about, I swear to God..

Just wondering why your post shows up in pink? 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Me too.  I just think they're dumb.  I didn't care what I was having...just wanted a healthy baby.  And the gender is already decided anyway.  Why set yourself up for disappointment?  I know someone who cried in the hospital for a day because she had a son and she really wanted a daughter.

Healthy baby is the best outcome.  Just learned of a church member who delivered a stillborn (first child).  Everything was OK until 2 days before delivery.  Suddenly no heartbeat.  She had to carry till delivery.  Cannot imagine the agony.  So, with all the kids and grand kids the Duggars are a damned lucky group.  Why Jessica would have another home birth after the first scary episode is beyond me.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Genevrier said:

That's an average, though. My niece had nearly two hundred words and was making 3-word sentences at 14 months, and my nephew never said a word until nearly four years. (Both of those are way outside the norm.) They're both doing very well in college now. It's too early to worry about Spurgeon.  

Same with my kids...while the oldest had only the most rudimentary and limited vocabulary by the time he was two, only some six or seven months later he was able to form the sentence (when I was irritated at him one day for something or other and must have told him he was being a baby), "I'm not a baby because I have beautiful teeth and I can talk!". My daughter, middle child, talked quite early and did, indeed, grow up to have a real talent and love for language, but her progress was far slower on the whole as a toddler. The youngest hardly spoke at all until he was almost three, but is, like the others, also very intelligent and has quite a flair for words. 

• Love 4
On 7/3/2017 at 7:11 PM, Snickerdoodle said:

I have to admit that I found Jinger and Jeremy testing their Spanish to be more interesting than Jill's "ginder" reveal.  How many "ginder" reveals are we going to have to see anyway?

Joy went to her future in-laws and they made her cook?  Nice. 

Oh, and Free Jana!

Omg by far!  Jinger is getting some personality.  The only thing that semi bothered me (and I could be imagining it) was it SEEMED like she was dumbing down her Spanish knowledge around Babe.  She knew words but was meekly jumping in.  Problem was watching this after dinner made me want fajitas.  I liked that they were trying with the waitress even if it was staged.

Devoted WAY too much time to the 'ginder' reveal.  YooHoo Nancy, no one really cares about Jill and Derrick.  They are boring.  I would rather watch Jessa play with Spurgeon's curls than those two chucklefucks.  By the way, poor Spurgie.  He did not enjoy sharing mom.   I wouldn't mind her getting a sister moms help just so they can squeeze Spurgie.   When everyone was saying who Henry looked like they should have said a potato.  His face is super cute but without my glasses he is sort of potato like.  All one color since he's bald.  During that hunt for the ginder I noticed that the kids writing was horrendous.  Not sure their reading is better.  If all you got going on is educating your kids and keeping sweet keep I expect better results.  Again, Jackson, why are you with the under 8's?  You are 13.  Time to hang with the big kids.  It is bordering on creepy unless there is something they have not mentioned about him like he is wandering into Forest Gump territory.  Headed to the prayer closet with some fajitas (with tortillas)!

On 7/3/2017 at 9:24 PM, BitterApple said:

Wtf?! Joy's driving a Benz?!

Jinger and Jeremy spoke more Spanish in that one scene than I've heard Jill and Derrick speak in two years.

I loved how Derrick was at least nice enough to thank Jana for babysitting while Jill just breezed out the door without so much as a a backwards glance. She is truly her mother's daughter.

That is what I thought it was.  Austin's parents seem much nicer than her own.  Or at least more normal.  The sister has RBF (resting bitch face).  I say that as one with it as well.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Same with my kids...while the oldest had only the most rudimentary and limited vocabulary by the time he was two, only some six or seven months later he was able to form the sentence (when I was irritated at him one day for something or other and must have told him he was being a baby), "I'm not a baby because I have beautiful teeth and I can talk!". My daughter, middle child, talked quite early and did, indeed, grow up to have a real talent and love for language, but her progress was far slower on the whole as a toddler. The youngest hardly spoke at all until he was almost three, but is, like the others, also very intelligent and has quite a flair for words. 

Just like my nephew! Had barely even tried to talk for four years, and then suddenly pops out with perfectly formed complex sentences. But his younger brother was right on track with Dr. Google. ?My niece is their cousin. Her great-grandmother thought she might be possessed when she started speaking at nine months. Seriously-she spoke to a priest. 

All of which is to say, I don't see anything out of the developmental norm with either Spurgeon or Israel. I wish I could have confidence that they'll continue to develop normally but that would probably need a real education. 

• Love 2

I thought Joy felt more "at home" with her to be in-laws.  She really seems to love the farm.  I think she will be happy with Austin.  It does not matter what we think, it matters what she thinks.  I do not think she will miss living at "home" lol.

Except for Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Joy seem to be happy.  

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Because they've structured their lives so that nobody will actually have anything real to do (like go to school or work or pursue a hobby or see friends?)? And so that they all must do the exact same things all together all the time (which automatically makes everything a production)? 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are idjits. 

Yes, they are!

My mom's best friend, former nun and born/raised in Ireland until age 32,  used to joke about ijits too. If someone was a real *ss, they received the worst designation possible...common ijits LOL Suits the Duggar clan perfectly! 

• Love 4

Regarding Jackson, I think his older brothers consider him a nuisance, so he's stuck with the girls by default. I also think he's held on to a lot of babyish mannerisms as a way of getting attention and that further alienated him from the males in his family.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Derrick struck me as an extremely uptight, controlling dick noodle in this episode.  He was overly dictatorial when explaining the stupid clue game, just so *precise* when talking to a squad of kids whose average age hovered around 7.  They were going to be assisted by older kids, dude.  Lighten up.

Then when they unboxed that shabby little boy's outfit and it was getting waved around he was all "gentle, gentle" like he was coaching a toddler how to handle a bunny.  That crap came from the thrift store or communal family wardrobe, Derrick, it not a mink coat from Saks.  Get over yourself.

After seeing him act that way on the heels of seeing him snapping at Izzy over finishing his music lesson, I am starting to think that our Derrick may not "have a heart for children," if not actually seriously dislike them.  

You had me at dick noodle!

• Love 14
20 hours ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Someone mentioned that they thought it was acne.  However, I am certain I have seen those two fang like marks in more than one episode.  Maybe that is why didn't really give her any airtime- even at the consignment store last time.  

Completely perfect description of Derelict.  

LOL!  Saks mink coat!  I do hate him more with each episode. He should be so gentle with the cat he almost killed. 

Has Josie discovered her teeth and has progressed from licking to biting?  They never should have let me out of the prayer closet...

• Love 4
16 hours ago, louannems said:

Hannie has had those awful scabs on her forehead for several episodes now.  And seen on pictures from their Facebook.  I wonder if she picks herself in a nervous sort of way.  I knew a little girl who picked her skin, and even pulled out her eyelashes.

Jill was folding a load of laundry and she hadn't bothered sorting the urine soaked and poop filled diapers from the pants and shirts before washing.  That is just gross.

Jessa cooked what looked like 4 scrambled eggs.  I assumed she was eating along with Spurgeon, but then they left the table with most eggs left. And how about a slice of fruit and a healthy carb Iike oatmeal or whole wheat toast, also?

At first, I thought it was Michelle on that marriage prep tape!

The whole jinder reveal was just horrible and totally unnecessary.  It's going to be a boy or girl, okay?  It doesn't matter what it's going to be since they will all breed several of each anyway.

Again , the jinder reveal party was disturbing.  All those adolescent and adult males and females trying to pretend to be excited over the sex.  IRL, I can't even imagine single adolescent and adult people attending a party of that nature.  Especially within their own family when a new pregnancy is announced every other month, it seems.

I have a friend who does this. She also picks at spots on her arms.

The most shocking thing I've ever seen her do is pick at a large gash on her ankle following a fall. I was a deep wound and required wound therapy but due to her picking at it, it wouldn't ever heal. The doctor and wound care nurses couldn't figure it out. Poor gal was on numerous rounds of anitbiotics, eventually via IV which required a few days as an inpatient. She wouldn't tell the medical staff why it wasn't healing and her husband acted like he didn't know why either. Bull*shit! He knew just what she was doing but didn't care. I finally had enough and told the damn doctor myself because I love her and couldn't stand to see her unable to be truthful and being saddled with a husband who didn't give a damn about her much anymore and, as such, wasn't invested in her recovery. Luckily, she and I saw the same GP and I made an appt. to see him. During the appt. I told him the truth and he acted dumbfounded. Guess he'd never noticed her missing eyelashes and the numerous "mystery" spots on her face and arms. He assured me he would keep my confidence and he did. He began asking her lightweight questions the next day about it, alluding to the idea that she may not be "helping" her recovery along if she was picking at the wound. She fessed up, was seen by a psych doctor while still in the hospital who gave her some coping techniques to use rather than picking. She didn't use them across the board but she did stop picking at the ankle wound at least. But by then, lasting damage had been done. Sad, sad, sad. 

All of that to say that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hannie is doing the same thing to her face and/or body. The psych doctor did get my friend to admit that she had developed the problem around age 9 when she was bullied in school because of her less than ideal social skills. He gave her lots of information about it and I read through it. It begins as a way to "swallow" an emotional trauma that you feel powerless to fight or stand up against. Just the hell like life in the f'ing Duggar house! 

P.S. I changed GP's not long after my appt. with our doctor. I figured if he hadn't noticed my friend's "tell tale signs" and put 2+2 together, he wasn't someone I felt 100% about anymore.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Genevrier said:

Just like my nephew! Had barely even tried to talk for four years, and then suddenly pops out with perfectly formed complex sentences. But his younger brother was right on track with Dr. Google. ?My niece is their cousin. Her great-grandmother thought she might be possessed when she started speaking at nine months. Seriously-she spoke to a priest. 

All of which is to say, I don't see anything out of the developmental norm with either Spurgeon or Israel. I wish I could have confidence that they'll continue to develop normally but that would probably need a real education. 

Cool story! What did she say? This should probably be moved to the prayer closet if there are any more additions to the off-topic discussion, but it also reminded me of my aforementioned younger son..the one who didn't really start saying words until he was almost three...when he was about a year old, and had not yet shown any inclination toward speech of any kind I once gave him some macaroni salad for a few meals in a row (we'd had a party and there was quite a bit left over). The third time it landed in front of him, he looked at it and very clearly said "Not dis". Since it was another two years before he said much else, I have no idea whether it was just a coincidentally meaningful bit of baby-babble or whether, like the proverbial child who said nothing until a fairly advanced age before suddenly coming up with an eloquent complaint about something, it was just because he'd not had anything significantly bothersome to comment on until that moment.

• Love 5

I had forgotten about this.......at the end of the reveal, Jill told the kids that weren't opening the "bundle" to go down on their knees. I get why, but I have never seen those kids respond so quickly.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I had forgotten about this.......at the end of the reveal, Jill told the kids that weren't opening the "bundle" to go down on their knees. I get why, but I have never seen those kids respond so quickly.

It was probably Take #73 of the scene and they were sick of it. I was sick of it and I saw it once.

JB is getting lazy and sloppy....Joy drove off "alone" (with the camera crew)......in the past episodes, the Jgirls had to have the visible accountability partner, in addition to the camera crew. Tsk. Tsk.

As for Jinge not eating carbs....she probably had enough growing up  (tater tots, macaroni and cheese, Ramen noodles, etc) that she never needs another gram.

• Love 9

Noticed that the M's were there but Anna was missing, how do they decide which episodes they want her in? Also since both Jessa & Jill have had their second child and didn't go with the same letter names, how does she feel being the only one to follow her in laws with this? Also since j&j haven't will she continue with the letter M? 

• Love 3
(edited)

Still trying to watch this eposide.

1) what kind of car was Joy driving to her future in-laws house? Looks kinda fancy for something found at an auction. And I am surprised she was allowed to drive over there alone . All of her brothers too busy chaperone ?

2) how long has Jeremy lived in Laredo? He knows NO Spanish ? I was seeing basics - the number 9? You can pick up the basics by watch sesame street or pressing the language button on the remote.  I would think his congregation would be bi-lingual. According to wiki ( link) 95% percent of the population probably speaks Spanish not much diversity in the city.

3) Derrick is sure in a hurry to get back and forth to CA. Wonder if his "ministry" includes a "side piece".. The fool actually said they are going to CA before the birth and right after..wow show some consideration for your family - wife, toddler and newborn.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7

I'd kind of forgotten about the "reveal".   Weren't some of those "little" kids kind of old for this game??   And what self-respecting 13 year old (looking at you, Jackson!) puts on detective get up and participate in a silly game??  It seems as if he has latched on to the idea that if he behaves younger he might get more attention. (BUT none of the younger children appear to get any attention with the exception of Josie.)

And the ones reading the clues seemed to have problems reading and appeared to look more at the picture Derrick kindly provided (maybe he knew that they couldn't read the clues?) to find the next clue.  I did find it kind of normal that Jordyn and her sister fought over who found the box first!  

• Love 4

Joy was solo in the Benz...bumping to some inspirational blah blah blah on the radio/CD player.

TLC crew filmed her driving up to the Forsyth house.

Low bar for "genius" label...squish the sides of a baked tater together.

3 planks of wood over the couch at Jill's house...ugly..stupid..why?

Chelle shouldn't have coffee before her camera time, she blew into the foyer chattering like a squirrel...

First time seeing Djerick with his hair down...looks worse than the manbun if that is possible

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Joy was solo in the Benz...bumping to some inspirational blah blah blah on the radio/CD player.

TLC crew filmed her driving up to the Forsyth house.

Low bar for "genius" label...squish the sides of a baked tater together.

3 planks of wood over the couch at Jill's house...ugly..stupid..why?

Chelle shouldn't have coffee before her camera time, she blew into the foyer chattering like a squirrel...

First time seeing Djerick with his hair down...looks worse than the manbun if that is possible

I've seen this nickname for him pop up here and there on this site of late...where did it come from? A "J" thing even if it's not at the start of his name (though it would probably be pronounced more or less as though it was)? Something else? I can't quite figure it out,..

(edited)
42 minutes ago, sATL said:

Still trying to watch this eposide.

1) what kind of car was Joy driving to her future in-laws house? Looks kinda fancy for something found at an auction. And I am surprised she was allowed to drive over there alone . All of her brothers too busy chaperone ?

2010-2013 Mercedes-Benz E350 sedan with sunroof. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1