Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Boy or Girl For Jill?

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Jinger's Spanish was better than I expected, and Jeremy's was worse.

So soccer boy grew up Italian but it's so obvious to me that he can't speak a lick of it. If he did then Spanish would be easy for him to pick up.

• Love 6

Yes, Fuzzysox: As a fellow Italian, it's quite easy to understand and speak Spanish when you know a bit about how the Italian language is structured. They are so similar. Remember, Jeremy is only PART Italian and his great grandparents came from there, so he's a few generations removed from it. The Duggar publicity machine is playing up his EYE-talian-ess.

A few thoughts on this awful episode. That stupid gender reveal game was the worst. Maybe it's me, but I don't go in for those types of things.

Was Joy allowed to go to Austin's house alone? If so, why didn't they address why it was ok for her to do so?

Why did they make Joy cook most of the meal when she was an invited guest? She had to BARBECUE too?

She's going to marry this guy, but doesn't know when, and she didn't know that he like cheese cake: What else don't they know about each other?

I noticed she was listening to indoctrination tapes on her way over there. I think they disconnect the radios from all of their vehicles.

Austin's mother's oven was filthy. What is it with these families, they all have filthy ovens. The Duggar oven was burning in the last episode.

Austin's mother's hair was all over her face, AGAIN....she looked like a mop head. Someone please give that woman a rubber band.

Why did Derick decide to grow his hair long and look like an unhealthy, dirty hobo? I'd be interested to hear what he had to say.

Henry's head was dangling out of that baby holder-strap thing that Jessa was wearing. She said he was only a few weeks old there...newborns need good head support ALL THE TIME.

How will she continue having more and more children about one year apart from each other without drafting one of her little sisters?

Jinger asked for no tortilla in her order. I think she's afraid to actually EAT.

The server said that she speaks a lot of English....so what was the point of their 'exercise"? This lady purposely spoke quickly so they'd have a harder time understanding her. Silly little plot line.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

So soccer boy grew up Italian but it's so obvious to me that he can't speak a lick of it. If he did then Spanish would be easy for him to pick up.

I grew up Italian and can't speak a lick of it. My parents are fluent, because their parents came from Italy and had to learn to speak English once they arrived here, one of my grandmother's never learned so they had to speak to her in Italian always. They also spoke Italian in front of us when they were talking about "adult" things and didn't want us to know what they were saying. We always laughed about it.  It's a generational thing and not unusual at all. 

My takeaway from tonight's show: does Michelle do anything? They all kept talking about who did laundry, who was the better cook, who did the party planning, who went grocery shopping, etc. but Michelle's name was never mentioned. I understand in a family that big you need the help but really, what does she do? 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I grew up Italian and can't speak a lick of it. My parents are fluent, because their parents came from Italy and had to learn to speak English once they arrived here, one of my grandmother's never learned so they had to speak to her in Italian always. They also spoke Italian in front of us when they were talking about "adult" things and didn't want us to know what they were saying. We always laughed about it.  It's a generational thing and not unusual at all. 

My takeaway from tonight's show: does Michelle do anything? They all kept talking about who did laundry, who was the better cook, who did the party planning, who went grocery shopping, etc. but Michelle's name was never mentioned. I understand in a family that big you need the help but really, what does she do? 

Sadly my first cousin were raised to speak English not Italian. I speak Italian because I was born there and it's my first language. I'm proud to be bi-lingual. I don't see any harm in having a second language under your belt.

• Love 6

So Austin is a pig. Why they made Joy a servant to them is beyond me. The fact that Austin was a part of this makes me dislike him. I'm so angry at how they treated Joy. Pricks...every one of them.

• Love 7

bichonblitz: Your family sounds just like mine...my parents came over from Italy and my grandparents never learned English, but it was expected that we would learn how to speak Italian as we wanted to converse with our grandparents directly too. Jeremy really knows nothing about being Italian other than some of his paternal great grandmother's recipes. This is why that playing up his being Italian gets under my skin.

I thought the same thing about Michelle not being mentioned in the 'who does it best" question. Obviously, she just walks around her house with her phone and her coffee.

• Love 6

Glad I am not the only person who gave a side eye to Joy driving a Mercedes. She doesn't even look old enough to drive. 

Im surprised Derek was even able to father a second kid. He looks seriously ill. It's not just that he is dirty. There is something else happening there. 

Jill seemed very disappointed about having another boy. I don't think she likes anything about her life. I'm sure she is thrilled to go back to danger America while pregnant, a toddler in tow  and husband who looks like he crawled out of a dumpster. 

• Love 20
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

So Austin is a pig. Why they made Joy a servant to them is beyond me. The fact that Austin was a part of this makes me dislike him. I'm so angry at how they treated Joy. Pricks...every one of them.

That's who the Forsyths are. Fundies. The husband rules the roost, the kids must serve and obey, they have a business to run and need everyone to pitch in and work, and believe in strict gender roles. Well, it's okay for a young woman to pitch in and work on a house flip, but she also has to dish up dinner and always be joyfully available to her husband. 

And yes, they're pricks. That said, I wish Joy and Austin well and I hope the business deal, aka marriage, that their dads brokered works out well for all of them. 

9 minutes ago, preciousperfect said:

Glad I am not the only person who gave a side eye to Joy driving a Mercedes. She doesn't even look old enough to drive. . . . 

Jill seemed very disappointed about having another boy. I don't think she likes anything about her life. I'm sure she is thrilled to go back to danger America while pregnant, a toddler in tow  and husband who looks like he crawled out of a dumpster. 

JB deals in used cars; she was probably driving inventory.  Edited to add: But, nice editing by TLC, along with the Dillards' McMansion - see below. Heh.

In real time, the Dillards have already gone on the trip to Danger America and returned. And Jill seemed dee-lighted to come home.

I couldn't watch more than a snippet or two of this. I saw the doctor visit. 

I wish they'd just write Jill and Derick out of the show. They are charmless twits. I kinda liked that TLC quietly threw them some shade, by showing a few exterior shots of that very nice large brick McMansion that they live in. While they solicit donations from their fan base, many of whom probably could never afford such a nice place to live. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

The server said that she speaks a lot of English....so what was the point of their 'exercise"? This lady purposely spoke quickly so they'd have a harder time understanding her. Silly little plot line.

TLC set up  -  again.

• Love 8

Florida mom- excellent post.  

I thought I was the only one that noticed poor Henry's head bouncing around, rolling backwards in the baby carrier.  Of course we had to see Jessa read the bible when the kids were napping & she "felt rested." Same thing with Joy in the car.  I was hoping she was going to rock out with the radio.  But no, we get marriage prep tapes & she wasn't even engaged yet.  

I think Austin ought to give his mom's kitchen a makeover. That green color is very dated & has got to go. 

I know we discussed it when it was first shown on social media, but that boy reveal outfit was awful looking.  They couldn't have stopped at Wal-Mart on their way home from the sonogram & pick up a brand new blue onesie that cost a couple of bucks?  I'm glad it was Jordyn (it was her?) that got to open the box.  You can tell how much the lost girls are thriving for attention.  Anyone else notice JB holding precious Josie in front of him?  I'm surprised they let her walk in.

I liked Jer & Jinge practicing their Spanish.  At least they put some humor in it.  Have we ever seen Jill & Derick practice together like this?  

What a difference between Cathy & MEchelle.

• Love 10

Another thing: I have never seen a man who marries a woman and has seemingly ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in her sons. Mr. Byrum is NEVER seen at all. It's strange that they have never mentioned that he would prefer a completely private life and doesn't wish to be filmed, OR SOMETHING....they say nothing. So, speculation goes on in placed like this one as to why he's never seen OR mentioned at all.

If I were Jessa, and I have had 2 boys..one a 3 year old and one newborn; I didn't have time to sit and read ANYTHING when my children were napping. I had a house to clean up after the boys had breakfast, phone calls to make regarding our household business, laundry etc. I sincerely hope that Jessa doesn't rely on any of her sisters to make it through the day. BTW, I wonder WHERE BEN WAS?  Jessa was feeing little Spurge with a full sized dinner fork. I would think she knows that they make toddler utensils that are much safer to feed with. I cringed and hoped that she wouldn't poke him in the eye with those tongs.

• Love 4

Liked watching Jinger and Jer study and test out their Spanish because they were having fun and most important were nice about it.  It wasn't the condescending need that Jill and Derrick have to learn the language of the heathens they're off to convert.  They actually looked comfortable with each other and very much like a normal couple doing the flash cards and seemed very OK in looking foolish if they mispronounced words at the restaurant.  That was nice.

If I was Jessa I'd never want to cut Sperg's hair those curls are just so cute.

What Joy made was not cheesecake - it was at best some Good Housekeeping shortcut recipe cheesecake pie.

The FU Internet moment was so glaring I'm surprised the camera's didn't explode when they filmed it.  Jessa quietly reading her Bible while the kids napped was one thing (possible but not totally plausible)..............Jill and Derrick actually studying though; that was a whole other level.  Jill looking oh so serious with her extra thick book and highlighter in hand.  Sorry, I just can't believe that for a second, some of the others maybe, even Derrick but not Jill.

• Love 12
(edited)
8 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Which girl was it who had those awful wounds on her forehead? I swear they looked like small caliber bullet holes!

Sorry ... I realize not every last iota of information about every single thing these people do is my business just because they are on a reality show. But if you're going to put a kid with distracting facial injuries on the teevee, I think it behooves you to give people some kind of explanation about what the hell happened to her!

I'm pretty sure it's acne.

2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Was Joy allowed to go to Austin's house alone? If so, why didn't they address why it was ok for her to do so?

The production crew was probably with her at all times.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 3

Also, did anyone notice how Jeremy praised Jinger for her intelligence in learning Spanish? I don't think I've seen any other Duggar SIL nor Smuggar do that. Notably, he said that he thought she underestimated herself and what she could do.

I didn't like the jender reveal, although I did like the Detective game; it just should have been used for a different purpose.

• Love 24
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I'm proud to be bi-lingual. I don't see any harm in having a second language under your belt.

Not saying anything is wrong with it at all. There is also nothing wrong Jeremy being from an Italian family and not knowing the language. It's quite common in the North where he is from. Especially 3rd generation Italian Americans. Back then (I'm going to show my age, now), in many households, it was important for immigrants coming to this country to raise their children to be 100% American. I think it was a mistake but that's how they felt. 

So who gets the nice house  that Jim Bob owns that Jill and Derek are living in once they move? If I were Ben and Jessa I would be jumping on that now! They are out growing that little house and will most likely be popping out more babies every couple of years. 

Derek looks filthy, dirty and disgusting. There is no excuse. I keep thinking about how he looked when he was courting Jill. I always thought he was a nice looking, well dressed guy and his hair was always cut and neat.  What the hell happened to him? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

God, yes.  I try really hard not to be judgmental about the way people look (we all have our struggles), but Derick looks like a straight-up hobo who just crawled out of the woods looking for a square meal and a place to shower.  I can't imagine what Jill's tight-ass parents think of his look. 

For crying out loud, Derrick, get a haircut and SHAVE!!!

Hate gender reveal parties/events.  Just say what you're having or keep it a secret.  Everyone will know eventually anyway.  Ugh!

• Love 10
(edited)
36 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Also, did anyone notice how Jeremy praised Jinger for her intelligence in learning Spanish? I don't think I've seen any other Duggar SIL nor Smuggar do that. Notably, he said that he thought she underestimated herself and what she could do.

I agree with him. He just may be good for her. Some people pick up learning a language easily. Some don't. I thing we can see what category Jinge (easy) and Jer (not so easy) will fit in to. Jinge is going to be growing and changing a lot, and gaining more self confidence along the way. I hope Jer can keep up with her maturing. 

I was lmao when Jinge was watching Jer do his weight lifting exercises in that small living room ( can't remember if that was that last ep or this one). She had lust in her eyes like she wanted to jump him right then and there and they were joking about it. I can't help it, those two truly crack me up! 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 19

I was irritated that Miss Cathy didn't even try to hide her disappointment that the baby was a boy.  It's one thing to have fun guessing the sex of the baby, but quite another to voice your clear disappointment in "another boy".  Does she not realize that someday her precious grandson is going to see this footage, and that it might hurtful to know that his grandma was disappointed (over something which he has no control).

On a general note, this family's obsession with the sex of the baby (and "gender reveals") is just over-the-top.  I guess that comes from following such strict gender roles; once you know the sex, the baby's future is pretty much mapped out. 

• Love 15
(edited)
58 minutes ago, luvmylabs said:

For crying out loud, Derrick, get a haircut and SHAVE!!!

Hate gender reveal parties/events.  Just say what you're having or keep it a secret.  Everyone will know eventually anyway.  Ugh!

I blame Pinterest. LOL.

But seriously are all the Dugger children going to do this when they have a child?  If the 19 kids all have 19 kids...well that will just be boring after awhile.

It's totally cool Joy doesn't even know what Austin likes for dessert so long as they're not getting it on in one of those empty houses he reno'd.

I thought it was strange that Joy did not know what Austin's favorite dessert is.  In this same episode she's telling us she is waiting for him to pop the question.  But she doesn't seem to know the basics about him.

Also I had to laugh when Austin was doing his talking head about asking his father what he wanted from him.  He said his dad prayed about it for a month and told Austin he wanted him to flip 5 houses.  Really?  Your dad prayed to God and God came back with, "Austin should go forth and do my work of flipping houses."  Jesus was a carpenter, after all.

Edited by Snickerdoodle
  • Love 17

I have NO PROBLEM commenting on someone's CHOICE to look a certain way; like Derelict. He chose to grow out his hair sloppily, not shave and dress like it was out of the free bin down at the 'mission'. He used to look like a cute young man who was clean and well groomed. I'd like to know where that guy went during that time.

And YES, I agree that Jill did NOT make real cheesecake. She smoothed out cream cheese and a couple of ingredients, poured it in an already made graham cracker crust and poured canned cherry filling. That is not a "cheesecake" as I know them....but what did I really expect? One doesn't BEGIN to bake a real cheesecake 10 minutes before dinner starts.

I also thought it WAS RUDE of Austin's brother in law to start eating before everyone was seated; prayers said or not....you just wait for all to be seated. Proper manners NOT there.

• Love 10

Wtf was Derrick saying? He didn't want his son to think even for a minute that his dad thought he was a girl? What a douchebag (as Jill looked glowingly at him). I feel bad for wondering what will happen to Jill if she's a widow. Derrick looks incredibly unhealthy.  Marfans is always in my mind, but his stupid running gag is all they care about.

i like Jessa as a mom. She's calm. And not in that creepy lobotmized Michelle way. What work is Bin doing? Is he trying to be a minister too? And what the heck do they have to do to get the big house over Jill? 

I actually have hope for Joy.  She has a guy who seems to recognize her love of the outdoors and her less that Michelle feminine standard.  She still had to go make his cheesecake, but she does like to do a winky, pushy thing. She did it last night about getting married, and she did it at her wedding about kissing and honeymooning. Hey, it's better than nothing. Her guy (is it bad that I never remember his name?) at least seems to have a real career going and knows and who she is. 

• Love 5

Some of this was painful to watch!

*The "drama" about Jill's neck - the ominous music as the doctor revealed that NOTHING was wrong!!!  And the news that Jill does have blood flowing to her brain, that was a surprise.

*Derrick looked awful!!  His face looks crooked, his hair dirty, he looks as if he has lost too much weight.  What ever happened to that CLEAN, NICELY DRESSED young man??  And what was that comment that he didn't want his son to ever think that he (Derrick) ever thought that the son could have been a girl! What???  When would that ever be brought up in a conversation??   I noticed that Derrick was the only one who thanked Jana for babysitting when they left.

*Joy got to drive over to Austin's house (an HOUR away!) by herself?? Yes, there is a camera crew with her but that never stopped them from sending a younger chaperone before.  (BTW nice car, Joy!)  Helping with dinner was not a big deal to me.  Whenever we visit we always offer to help with dinner (or anything else), sometimes the offer is accepted and sometimes declined. BUT for her not to know Aston's (can't remember the potential husband's name) his dessert as she dreams about their engagement and wedding?? 

*Jinger and Jeremy studying Spanish was kind of cute. I liked that he teased her in a sweet friendly way and not in a mean way (as the Duggers seem to do at times). I also liked that Jeremy said Jinger underestimates her abilities - I hope he continues to be supportive of her as she grows.    And did I hear Jeremy correctly?  Did he say that they were taking a class together to learn Spanish?  Also Jinger saying she is enjoying her life in Laredo, away from her family seemed inferred :)

• Love 18
11 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

There wasn't really a whole lot of Jessa/Seewalds in this episode compared to other episodes.

And this would be bad how? Heading to the Prayer Closet.

But seriously are all the Dugger children going to do this when they have a child?  If the 19 kids all have 19 kids...well that will just be boring after awhile.

Yes, as long as TLC is filming we will get these gender reveals to tell us the sex of the child.  It is already boring.   I think there will be a tell-all book in about 20 years, and it will be written by Josh and Anna's oldest.  I think they should rename this show "Counting Down" because it will eventually be cancelled.   I would slink off to the prayer closet, but I am going off to celebrate Independence Day.  Happy 4th everyone!!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Then when they unboxed that shabby little boy's outfit and it was getting waved around he was all "gentle, gentle" like he was coaching a toddler how to handle a bunny.  That crap came from the thrift store or communal family wardrobe, Derrick, it not a mink coat from Saks.  Get over yourself.

That was ridiculous. The outfit fell off the hanger after Jordyn got excited and jumped up and down. The Duggar children are feral, but it's not like they were stomping on Izzy's shirt and playing tug of war with the sleeves. There's plenty more stretched out, faded thrift store clothing to be had, Derelict. Take the stick out of your ass and calm down.

• Love 23
13 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Oh fuck you Derrick.  You are going to guess you are having a boy so he won't have to go through life thinking that his dad thought he was a girl.  Because oh my GOD to have someone think you were a stinkin' lousy girl before you were born is a fate no male child should ever have to endure. Maybe it might make him GAY or something, the horror! 

Of course it is of no importance if a girl finds out dad thought she was going to be a boy.  Because who cares how girls feel.

I just hate him more every episode.

And I luv you more with every post you make.

Sure @GeeGolly wouldn't mind having a sister wife, would she? :D

• Love 8

I'm not  fan of Jer at all -- something about him seeking out a meek child bride screams creeper -- yet I will say in this episode, those 2 seem so comfortable with each other like normal couples. And I was positively impressed that he said that Jinger is so smart and under estimates herself. I always figured that in that world, the woman isn't supposed to be smart at all. So the fact that he's ok with the fact that she might be smart or a quick learner or whatever gives me a small hope that maybe he will encourage her if she wants to do something for herself - whether take a class or a part time job or whatever - instead of making it so that her life is taking care of that 1 bedroom apartment (which likely takes her 20 min/day max).

When Joy got in the car alone to drive to Austin's all, I could think was -- drive the hell away. Keep driving until you're in Tenn. or Fla. or Vegas or wherever your heart desires. get yourself a waitress job, sleep in your car for a few days/weeks until you have money for a security deposit, get an apartment, and start your own life away from this freak show.

When Austin's mom said -- ready to cook -- when Joy walked in, somehow I assumed that everyone would cook together and eat together. Seems like bad manners to make the guest make a cheesecake while they sit around (men) or spectate (women); though I guess the dad was out there grilling, so it wasn't all on Joy. I know we're supposed to love Austin bc [gasp] FIVE house flips, but every time he speaks, it's so clear that he needs a wife and Joy happens to be around so it's Joy but some other woman would be just fine too. I mean did he have to say that he couldn't taste the difference between Joy's cheesecake and his mom's? That's great Austin -- now we know you'll be fed in the manner you are accustomed. Now how are her laundry skills? Can she fold your underwear like mom?

Derick -- he looks better in current IG pics than in the show which I guess was filmed a few months ago. How can his mom not notice the change in his appearance? You look at his wedding pics and even the recent IG pic they posted where he was standing over Iz's bassinet in the hospital in 2015 -- his face and even his arms just look bigger/fuller. If you're his mom, how do you not insist that he go to a real MD at a real health system (something like U Arkansas) for a physical, blood work etc. -- not go for "family check ups" with his wife and kid. Maybe everything is all good and it's really the dental work that caused him to not be able to eat -- but even if it's just that, they can hook you up with a nutritionist who can help you gain weight back. Not a fan of Derick AT ALL, but I did like that he was the ONLY one who turned back and thanked Jana for babysitting so they could all go to the ultrasound. Jill just waltzed out of there as if childcare help is her birthright.

As for Cathy -- I give her the benefit of the doubt -- she only has 3 blood relatives. I can see why she wants a granddaughter -- and she's not like most people who if they have sons and grandsons only, they may still have grand nieces etc. so they can do girly things with someone or get invited to dance recitals or whatever. That being said - no need to panic. She herself said there may be a football team of boys -- but in any event Derick and Jill will likely have a football team of kids unless some crazy risky delivery renders them unable and Dan will likely have 2-3 kids so there is a huge chance she gets a granddaughter one day. Though I guess we know that Derick's guess for babies forever is now BOY - bc he certainly wouldn't want ANY potential son of his to feel that dad thought he was a girl, so he can NEVER guess girl bc what if it turns out to be a boy -- he'll likely be scarred for life and tap dancing on Broadway due to that errant ultrasound guess . . . .

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I am starting to think that our Derrick may not "have a heart for children," if not actually seriously dislike them.  

If that's the case, then we should expect at least another 17 children from him and Jill.

• Love 10

I think Derick made that comment about thinking it was a boy because he fully expects his son to watch the show.  Just as a commenter here said that Miss Cathy should not have allowed her disappointment to show, 

i believe Joy made dinner because this was the traditional TLC Duggar girl makes her 'fellow ' dinner episode. 

Michelle really needs to dial herself down several notches.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I wish they'd just write Jill and Derick out of the show. They are charmless twits. I kinda liked that TLC quietly threw them some shade, by showing a few exterior shots of that very nice large brick McMansion that they live in. While they solicit donations from their fan base, many of whom probably could never afford such a nice place to live. 

Jinder jinder jinder, carotid, carotid. Boy or girl, we are going to get an ultrasound to find out the 'jinder' so we know if it's a boy or a girl. There is a 50/50 chance for either jinder. carotid jinder. They add zipp to the show, zilch, narrate the stupidest shit. Derp has to stare at the parasite while she is speaking, it's another one of those idiotic things Gothardites do, such as touching each other if there is a photo, or holding the baby out like a prize fish. 

Jessa and Jinger. Make the show about those two exclusively. Let the littles stay away from the cameras so that in a year or two, when a new 'normal' fades in they can have what is left of their childhood unedited for television plotlines. At least Jessa makes the cult look good, even though my guess is that her 'bitchiness' is what helped her appear somewhat 'normal'. Jinger and Jeremy really presented themselves as a normal young couple. Happy and having fun. If this is what they are really like, then I think Jinger has been freed...somewhat. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Why does everything have to be a production? 

Because they've structured their lives so that nobody will actually have anything real to do (like go to school or work or pursue a hobby or see friends?)? And so that they all must do the exact same things all together all the time (which automatically makes everything a production)? 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are idjits. 

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, cereality said:

I always figured that in that world, the woman isn't supposed to be smart at all.

Jeremy is from a different flavor of Kool-aid where it's OK for women to have brains, wear pants, go out unchaperoned, and even have jobs.  They are still patriarchy oriented with very conservative political beliefs.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

That's because languages are for back-and-forth communication with other people in whom you at least pretend to have an interest. Jer prefers just bloviating as others watch in awe.

I'd say that explains the general Duggar approach to foreign languages. Glad to hear that Jinger may be doing something different.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

Another thing: I have never seen a man who marries a woman and has seemingly ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in her sons. Mr. Byrum is NEVER seen at all. It's strange that they have never mentioned that he would prefer a completely private life and doesn't wish to be filmed, OR SOMETHING....they say nothing. So, speculation goes on in placed like this one as to why he's never seen OR mentioned at all.

If I were Jessa, and I have had 2 boys..one a 3 year old and one newborn; I didn't have time to sit and read ANYTHING when my children were napping. I had a house to clean up after the boys had breakfast, phone calls to make regarding our household business, laundry etc. I sincerely hope that Jessa doesn't rely on any of her sisters to make it through the day. BTW, I wonder WHERE BEN WAS?  Jessa was feeing little Spurge with a full sized dinner fork. I would think she knows that they make toddler utensils that are much safer to feed with. I cringed and hoped that she wouldn't poke him in the eye with those tongs.

It wouldn't surprise me if JB and M never bought a single piece of toddler flatware with 19 kids. These are people who feed toddlers vegetables straight out of the can, after all. ... And lying down, if I recall the descriptions correctly? The now-adult Duggarlings may believe that toddler forks are of the devil, like Cabbage Patch dolls. Maybe there's some IBLP teaching about it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

The FU Internet moment was so glaring I'm surprised the camera's didn't explode when they filmed it.  Jessa quietly reading her Bible while the kids napped was one thing (possible but not totally plausible)..............Jill and Derrick actually studying though; that was a whole other level.  Jill looking oh so serious with her extra thick book and highlighter in hand.  Sorry, I just can't believe that for a second, some of the others maybe, even Derrick but not Jill.

Bbbbuuut she was wearing glasses! THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING, Y'ALL.

Like, totally.

• Love 8

Jinger and JereME were tolerable in this episode.  They seem to get along well. I loved that Jeremy said heartfelt and sincere compliments about Jinger! 

Didn't they look so immature and giggly together?  I would guess them at 14 and 17.  Hard to believe their actual ages. (mind blown)

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Which girl was it who had those awful wounds on her forehead? I swear they looked like small caliber bullet holes!

Someone mentioned that they thought it was acne.  However, I am certain I have seen those two fang like marks in more than one episode.  Maybe that is why didn't really give her any airtime- even at the consignment store last time.  

2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Derrick struck me as an extremely uptight, controlling dick noodle in this episode.  He was overly dictatorial when explaining the stupid clue game, just so *precise* when talking to a squad of kids whose average age hovered around 7.  They were going to be assisted by older kids, dude.  Lighten up.

Then when they unboxed that shabby little boy's outfit and it was getting waved around he was all "gentle, gentle" like he was coaching a toddler how to handle a bunny.  That crap came from the thrift store or communal family wardrobe, Derrick, it not a mink coat from Saks.  Get over yourself.

After seeing him act that way on the heels of seeing him snapping at Izzy over finishing his music lesson, I am starting to think that our Derrick may not "have a heart for children," if not actually seriously dislike them.  

Completely perfect description of Derelict.  

LOL!  Saks mink coat!  I do hate him more with each episode. He should be so gentle with the cat he almost killed. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

He may care for Cathy's two sons, but he probably does not give a fig about being on the show or the way Derick is running his life now. He probably think the Duggars are six short of a six pack and do not care for them at all. I would love to see his take on the whole thing because he seems to be the only one with half a brain when it comes not to be a famewhorer with the smug attitude the Duggar family is famous for.

He probably tolerates the Duggars so Cathy is allowed to see Izzy and soon to be baby number 2, or when Jill and Derick need someone to watch their son because they are too lazy and entitled to take care of their offspring. Cathy may be a little off the beam when it comes to some of her religious beliefs, but she and possibly her husband are the only one who shows Izzy love and do not think of him as a burden or a platform to sell the show. *cough* Jill, Derick, JB and Michele *cough*

Jeremy may be conceited and self centered but he seems absolutely fascinated by Jinger.  

Jinger convinced me more than ever she's the go along to get along child.  She doesn't feel the need to convince anyone she's normal, smart or good at anything.  I don't think Jeremy for all his talk of meek expected that.

• Love 9

I'm sure that the producers of the show come up with the ideas. i.e., the gender reveal game, Joy making a cheese cake, Jeremy and Jinger at the restaurant.  It's not really reality TV.  The gender reveal stuff is getting really OLD.  I guess I could understand if it was the first grandchild, but to have the entire family troop over like that.  The poor kid with the bad case of acne. Jana looked painfully bored.  Can she just say NO?

Can't Jessa put the baby down in the crib while she combs Spurgeon's hair, prepares his food, etc?  I am assuming they have a crib for him. And I also noticed the baby's head bobbing around in that sling. Then she puts him to nap on the couch while she reads the Bible.

The whole cheesecake thing was ridiculous.  When we make a cheesecake, it is done either the night before or the morning of the day you are going to serve it.  Trying to whip that cream cheese when it wasn't room temperature.  Good luck with that.  You would have thought Austin's mother would have set it out for a while before Joy arrived.  I laughed when Austin showed Joy how to slice a baked potato and then squish it together.  Has she never eaten a baked potato?  That's how it appeared.  She called him a "genius."

The way Austin's father said that the important thing was that they were "pure" was creepy. When Joy and Austin were talking about courting and Joy said "we should just get married then" I cringed.  She is/was SO desperate to get married.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

I laughed when Austin showed Joy how to slice a baked potato and then squish it together.  Has she never eaten a baked potato?  That's how it appeared.  She called him a "genius."

This brings back fond memories of Jeremy pouring cream into his coffee so it could be stirred by the splash from the coffee, Jinger thought he was so smart. 

Maybe the Dugg boys stay on the market because they don't have skills like potato and coffee. 

• Love 14