Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Boy or Girl For Jill?

• Start Topic

The Seewalds adjust to being a family of four. Meanwhile, Jinger and Jeremy test their Spanish at a local restaurant in Texas; Joy has dinner with Austin's family; and the Dillards reveal the gender of their second child.

(edited)

Yes, this is a heavily-edited TV show.  Yes, Jessa is hyper-aware of her image and cultivates it carefully.  Yes, I realize that we're seeing a tiny microcosm of these folks' lives.  Despite all of that, I have to say, I'm impressed with Jessa's ability and willingness to be an actual, in-the-trenches mother.  It was only a couple of years ago that I still viewed her as a nasty, spoiled princess.  It stands to reason that she would be a decent mother.  She got a hell of a lot of parenting experience throughout her preteen, teen, and young adult years.  Of course, when comparing her to MEchelle, pretty much anyone is a good mother.

(Maybe I just need to check the batteries in my carbon monoxide alarms to be sure I'm getting enough oxygen to my brain.)

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 24
(edited)

If Jinge and Jeremy have a kid they MUST name her Gozo. That was seriously cute and I don't think I've ever said that about this show. Cute!

'Super emergency.' Oy Jill ?.

If I went to someone's house and was expected to cook I would be pissed.

No carbs for Jinger. Lechuga all day! 

Joy looked cute with her hair pulled back and the flannel. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 8

I don't know why, but I just started tuning in to Counting On since... forever. It's still a mindless cash grab, but I have to say (and I feel a little superficial saying this) but when Spurgeon (sp?) was born, I thought he was a beautiful baby. I can't say the say for Henry (he looks like Dullard), and what Spurgeon just doesn't look he used to. I cracked up when Jess says, "Are you hungry?" and then hands him a prince of processed cheese (or was that a chicken loaf?) Glad to see healthy eating is still not a priority for the Duggar clan.

• Love 1

One more thing - and please excuse my Canadian ignorance, but the United States is known for speaking English as its official language. Yet, why are there areas where people only speak Spanish, and not English - like what Jinger and Jeremy are facing? I remember this being an issue back in the Hulk Hogan reality show days, when the city he moved to (Miami?) had many neighbourhoods where no one spoke English and he was getting really frustrated. Canada has two official languages so I am prepared to try and stumble through French if need be. But what's the 'legal' expectation n in the US?

• Love 1

Republicans have been trying to get English declared as the "official" language for years. Hasn't worked. I live in a very multi-cultural city. You can be a citizen and get election ballots in quite a number of languages. 

As for Jill, they love t-shirt reveals, why not go for this? She could be wearing it now, as I type, all stretched out over her "big pregnant" belly. Just so people don't mistake her for fat or having a girl. 

ca8db4384232a9699bc5f808753b8a6d.jpg

• Love 7
(edited)

We don't have a 'legal' language here. Most legal documents are in English. Immigrants and their families have long spoken their language of origin.   There are  many areas where immigrants and their descendants are clustered and speak their native languages 95% of the time. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Chalby said:

One more thing - and please excuse my Canadian ignorance, but the United States is known for speaking English as its official language. Yet, why are there areas where people only speak Spanish, and not English - like what Jinger and Jeremy are facing? I remember this being an issue back in the Hulk Hogan reality show days, when the city he moved to (Miami?) had many neighbourhoods where no one spoke English and he was getting really frustrated. Canada has two official languages so I am prepared to try and stumble through French if need be. But what's the 'legal' expectation n in the US?

There is no legal expectation.  In fact, it's the source of quite a bit of tension in the good ol' USA.  I, personally, have no issue with things like signs being written in both English and Spanish, but I know many, many people who do.  In my opinion, it boils down to common sense decisions.  If one chooses to live in an area where a majority of the community speaks Spanish (as Jinger and Babe have), it might behoove one to learn it so that everyone can communicate effectively.  The same goes for native Spanish-speakers learning English.  I think we fight over silly things like this way too much in America.  YMMV, of course.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 20
(edited)

Derick and Jill could do Murder Mystery Parties for a living.

Can someone please refresh me. What's the deal with Tyler? Who is he? 

Holy shit that preview music for next week was daunting as hell.

Edited by woodscommaelle
(edited)
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Test their Spanish.... Wow. Can't wait. Riveting I'm sure. ??

I have to admit that I found Jinger and Jeremy testing their Spanish to be more interesting than Jill's "ginder" reveal.  How many "ginder" reveals are we going to have to see anyway?

Joy went to her future in-laws and they made her cook?  Nice. 

Oh, and Free Jana!

Edited by Snickerdoodle
  • Love 15
13 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Derick and Jill could do Murder Mystery Parties for a living.

Can someone please refresh me. What's the deal with Tyler? Who is he? 

Holy shit that preview music for next week was daunting as hell.

1 minute ago, Snickerdoodle said:

I have to admit that I found Jinger and Jeremy testing their Spanish to be more interesting than Jill's "ginder" reveal.  How many "ginder" reveals are we going to have to see anyway?

That sounds like a question we might see on an upcoming episode.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Tyler is Mechelle's grand-nephew. His mother had him very young and has had drug/alcohol problems, became unable to care for him, so she granted custody of him to her mother, Mechelle's older sister. Then Mechelle's sister had a stroke and couldn't care for him, either. Duggars took over temporary custody, but were granted permanent guardianship, I guess because the sister isn't capable of taking him back. I guess this could be reversed at some point in the future, but sister is in her 60's, and I saw her on crutches on pictures before she had her stroke, so she's not a good bet to raise this kid up. Not as if the Duggars are much better with their shitty homeschooling. 

Poor Tyler. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7

Watching a houseful of people doing a scavenger hunt to find clues for a gender reveal just made me want to scream, "Just tell us wtf you're having!  A boy or a girl!"  I was exhausted just watching.  I'd be nervous just having all those people in my house even if they were just sitting quietly and not roaming around every nook and cranny.   Why does everything have to be a production?  I wonder if the cameras weren't there, they'd do the same thing.  Probably so. 

• Love 18
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Tyler is Mechelle's grand-nephew. His mother had him very young and has had drug/alcohol problems, became unable to care for him, so she granted custody of him to her mother, Mechelle's older sister. Then Mechelle's sister had a stroke and couldn't care for him, either. Duggars took over temporary custody, but were granted permanent guardianship, I guess because the sister isn't capable of taking him back. I guess this could be reversed at some point in the future, but sister is in her 60's, and I saw her on crutches on pictures before she had her stroke, so she's not a good bet to raise this kid up. Not as if the Duggars are much better with their shitty homeschooling. 

Poor Tyler. 

Thank you.

I would love to know what went through his mind when he found out where he was going to live. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

WHAT is wrong with Derrick? He looks seriously ill.

This is his worst look, way too thin, horrible scraggly hair and a cowboy hat. Yikes. He thinks he is very funny too.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

This is his worst look, way too thin, horrible scraggly hair and a cowboy hat. Yikes. He thinks he is very funny too.

God, yes.  I try really hard not to be judgmental about the way people look (we all have our struggles), but Derick looks like a straight-up hobo who just crawled out of the woods looking for a square meal and a place to shower.  I can't imagine what Jill's tight-ass parents think of his look. 

• Love 14

Does Derrick have some medical issues?? He really does not look well. That doctor needed to check him out instead of Jill! I was just stunned by his appearance. Have not been a regular viewer and was shocked.

• Love 4
(edited)

There was a moment when they were walking into the doctors office with IZ and I swear he said FU twice.  Did anyone else notice that?  

Jill and Derrick seem like such assholes in general with children.  I feel really bad for Israel.  And what a stupid SEX reveal idea.  I would kill people if they were lifting up the pictures from my wall.  I'm sure Miracle licked everything to test for clues.  Poor Jordyn- her hair looked so bad.  She needs a good haircut, some conditioner and a new family. 

Jessa continues to impress me.  Her floors appear clean - as does her kitchen.   No dirty feet!  Wow.  She kept mentioning Benjermin going to work.  Where does he work?  

When MEchelle walked in that door (before going to the SEX reveal), the wind was blowing and she looked like the wicked witch of Arkansas blowing in. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 23
(edited)
23 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

He thinks he is very funny too.

It's like he's Jim Bob 2.0.

I wonder if Jill finds him funny.  I couldn't be with someone who didn't make me laugh. But the sad thing is that she probably does find him funny. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Chalby said:

I don't know why, but I just started tuning in to Counting On since... forever. It's still a mindless cash grab, but I have to say (and I feel a little superficial saying this) but when Spurgeon (sp?) was born, I thought he was a beautiful baby. I can't say the say for Henry (he looks like Dullard), and what Spurgeon just doesn't look he used to. I cracked up when Jess says, "Are you hungry?" and then hands him a prince of processed cheese (or was that a chicken loaf?) Glad to see healthy eating is still not a priority for the Duggar clan.

Actually it appeared to be a piece of provolone because it was round and white....much like a Duggar face...

• Love 6

Watching Jordyn and Johanna (Jenni?) about to throw down over the technicality of who found that package was the most normal sibling interaction we have ever seen on this show. 

Jessa continues to be less annoying.  She's making adjustments nearly every week it seems.  She would have done well in public relations. 

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Does Derrick have some medical issues?? He really does not look well. That doctor needed to check him out instead of Jill! I was just stunned by his appearance. Have not been a regular viewer and was shocked.

Haven't watched yet, but this video is pretty old.  He's looking much, much better these days.

• Love 1
(edited)

It seems that Ben actually pulled a semster when Henry was born. Part of that, discussed on their thread, is an internship. He can school at home, apparently not the live classes that are becoming the norm. However, he has to put in x amount of hours in a church in Siloam Springs to get his credits. Other than that, too embarrassed that he's doing construction work for Boob's/Austin's/whatever J-Boy has now gotten into it's flips. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
get a couple of glasses of wine in me, and I run on and on and on....
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Poor Jana. Her expression at the gender reveal.... a woman of her age forced to watch a kids game because she's not a married woman yet. 

Lol I have just finished watching and wanted to post something about it myself. Lmao she looked so done.

• Love 1

I genuinely laughed during the Babe and Babe spanish lesson. Not at them. With them. For probably the first time in the history of the show. LOL

Still liking Jessa. You can cut the rest out!

• Love 10

When Jinger said "bebe" was a word that she and Jeremy needed to know, I got really scared!

And I couldn't tell if ordering fajitas with lettuce and a salad was intentional or not. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Did Derick borrow that hat from The Mother Chantel? (TLC Crossover Opportunity! 90 Kids and Fiances!)

In that hat, from the side, Dirty Jesus looked a little bit like my favorite hottie biker, Peter Sagan. I apologize to Mr. Sagan for this transgression. 

Kramon_Richmond2015_UCIworlds_EliteMen_DSC5491-Version-2.jpg

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)
3 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

God, yes.  I try really hard not to be judgmental about the way people look (we all have our struggles), but Derick looks like a straight-up hobo who just crawled out of the woods looking for a square meal and a place to shower.  I can't imagine what Jill's tight-ass parents think of his look. 

It's been a source of much speculation and hilarity over the past few months on the board.  

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Oh fuck you Derrick.  You are going to guess you are having a boy so he won't have to go through life thinking that his dad thought he was a girl.  Because oh my GOD to have someone think you were a stinkin' lousy girl before you were born is a fate no male child should ever have to endure. Maybe it might make him GAY or something, the horror! 

Of course it is of no importance if a girl finds out dad thought she was going to be a boy.  Because who cares how girls feel.

I just hate him more every episode.

Maybe that's what happened to Mechelle's lesbian sister.

Derrick's just as much an asshole as the rest of the clan. 

• Love 5
(edited)

That friggen "picante" Latin music sounds Cuban -ish but they live in a Texas town on the Mexican border.

But it's all the same, right?

I was almost certain the kids would be too thick to solve the clues. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1