Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: My Soul's High Song

• Start Topic

On 7/8/2017 at 6:19 PM, Arcadiasw said:

The men on the show like to tell women what to do: Remy with Charley and her money; RA and Darla with her job and recovery; and Hollywood and Vi on just about everything. I cringed the previously week show where they made up and he told Vi to not be so quick to give up on them. I'm thinking, "Did you forget your part in the breakup?" 

I'm generalizing but In my experience, that's the downside to traditional southern black men, particularly the older ones. They're chivalrous and romantic and they live to protect and provide for their families...but they also expect deference and they're annoyingly paternal. The show nailed that dynamic.

• Love 4
On 7/7/2017 at 4:13 AM, AgentRXS said:

I forgot to mention how much I hate Charley and Remy's conversation also. He was way out of line to tell Charley how to spend her money. 

I’m currently making my way through S2, which  I am unfortunately finding is not as good as season 1.

That said, I agree with this. Actually Remy has been working my nerves for a while now with his never ending advice to Charley.  I specifically didn’t like him telling Charley she needed to grieve the end of her marriage. What he said might’ve been true, but I didn’t like the way he said it. It was almost condescending which has been the case at other times when he’s spoken to her about her personal life. I’ve never been moved by their potential romance but at this point would prefer  if things stayed strictly professional between them. 

Edited by Enero