Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Ease for Idle Millionaires

interesting what Cosima said about him not being 170 years old, perhaps a descendant passing himself off as the old doctor. Next week looks interesting. Now Cosima and Sarah have to get together before they steal Kira's eggs. SO now, was it the boy/monsters sperm that created the clones? I know they had one of his genes, perhaps the gene was added after fertilization. They must be salivating over Helena's twins. 

• Love 2

That moment where Cosima talked about her parents was really powerful. Like Alison in her episode, Cosima/Delphine acknowledged how they're going in circles and decided to stop, which is good.   The characters themselves are as sick of the plot as we are. I spent a lot of time wondering if that dream/flashback was actually original footage or just a not very convincing retcon. 

Since P.T's breakthrough is so recent, it doesn't seem like he would have been able to extend his life/stop aging 100 years ago.  I always thought they would try to clone Kira, but I guess that's not possible, so they're planning to do to her what the Proletheans did to Helena.  I hope we'll actually be able to spend a whole episode with Felix/Adele in Switzerland, she needs to tell him the truth and we need to find out why he needed to be put in hiding along with Sarah.

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh, Cosima, have you ever watched a single horror movie? NEVER turn your back on your enemy! And NEVER get into a cage/room/sauna/pottery kiln/anything with a door because you WILL be locked in it! I swear, I felt like I was watching Pretty Little Liars when she just got in the cage voluntarily while PT was behind her because her sense of self-preservation/wariness was totally non-existent.

Poor Yannis. As cold as it was for PT to shoot him in the head, at least Yannis isn't suffering anymore.

When Kira explained how to hustle someone, for a second I was afraid she was just hustling Sarah in order to finally get the information she so desperately wants. Hopefully Team Sarah will find out that Rachel is planning to harvest Kira's eggs sooner rather than later so that Kira will finally realize that everyone has been right all along about not trusting Rachel.

I wish Delphine would stop hemming and hawing and just tell Cosima what she's doing. It can't be any more dangerous to tell Cosima what she's up to than it is for them to be yelling secrets while they're in the same house with PT, his staff, and Rachel (who could have overheard any of their conversations) or on the same island which could be bugged. Besides, Cosima is stuck on the island no matter what, so how is Delphine telling her what she's going to do in Geneva with Felix going to put Cosima in MORE danger?

Is Ira glitching? I can't think of any of any other reason why he would have answered Susan's question about the roof color later when Cosima was leaving. If it was supposed to be a coded message, Cosima definitely didn't understand it.

When Susan said that taxidermy is the faded art of faded species, I thought PT had made them all get dressed up for dinner just so he could kill them all with poisoned wine because he thinks Susan and Cosima are now faded species that he can taxidermy. Yes, this show has made me paranoid. Got to hand it to PT though - he has everyone spying on everyone else for him. He's got Rachel checking up on Susan for him, he has Delphine checking up on Cosima for him, etc.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 11
38 minutes ago, bostonbarney said:

Does Kira have more than one facial expression?

Now that you mention it, no. I can't recall any smiles, tears, or wide eyed fear. Even last week's angry yelling didn't seem to be accompanied by any brow furrows. Am I just not remembering? Maybe they wanted an expressionless child actor so she wouldn't suggest more possibilities to an already indeterminate plot?

• Love 5
(edited)

How considerate of Westmoreland to have a tux around that fit Cosima perfectly. (No, that's not what it looks like if you put a woman in a random man's tux - but she looked great.)

We all need a screencap of the geeks wall of crazy - is Kendall Malone even mentioned there? Because with the introduction of Yannis and his Wolverine gene her whole arc becomes even murkier. Couldn't they have inserted the healing gene in some not-cloned test-subjects? And if not - why? And why was everyone so desperate to get Kendall's DNA? How is the cloning arc connected to the Wolverine-gene arc? *confused*

The Cosima/Delphine romance is getting annoying - mostly because the writing for Delphine is so damn inconsistent. Notice that she did not tell Cosima the reason why Neolution wanted her to go to Geneva. Just that she needed to go because Felix was there.

And who was conducting new experiments on Yannis and why? Since Mud can remember him staying in his own room and she was the one setting him free it can't be that far back in time.

Most annoying moment of the episode - the cut after Mrs S had asked Kira what it was that Rachel really wanted. I wanted to hear Kira's answer. The bonding between Sarah and Kira was well done although I was also wondering who's playing who.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
(edited)

I really liked the stuff with Cosima and Delphine. I noticed a long time ago that the things Delphine does only look shady if you think she's secretly on the Neolution side. If you believe she's telling the truth about being on Cosima's side, everything she does looks helpful. Of course she can't tell Cosima everything; that's how spying works. The fewer people involved, the more the chance of success. Delphine should go work for the CIA next. 

I loved how Cosima thought she was catching Delphine in a lie about having just arrived when she said she'd seen Delphine go into the big house. Delphine was like, "Yeah, sure, I stopped by to deliver the samples" and shrugged it off. Delphine's been playing the long game, and is a much better spy than Cosima, who...whew...has zero chill or stealth skills. Why does she keep giving away everything?? Good lord.

I liked that Delphine basically revealed she was working with Mrs. S via Felix and that she and Cosima agreed about how to move forward. Turning over some of her choices to Delphine shows a lot of trust on Cosima's part. Finally! And I liked that it was communicated in a very natural (and romantic) way, as opposed to the cliched "are you sure" line I see so often. I thought Delphine reminding Cosima of who she really is in the flashback was lovely. Though I do worry Delphine will blow all her spying groundwork when she finds out Cosima has been locked up in the basement. I doubt that gels with her plan. I wonder who will be the one to save Cosima...

PT is one creepy bastard. This show does a great job of articulating the subtle rapey vibe women deal with constantly in all walks of life. 

I liked all the stuff with Sarah/Kira too.

Looking forward to Krystal next week!

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 7

This season is more tedious than when they introduced the Castors, and I found that season to be annoying.

This show was once smart but not anymore.

Cosima, to be the smartest clone, has been doing a lot of dumb shit. Delphine is shady and written poorly. I think the writers believe they have written her vaguely enough for viewers to question which side she is on. I think they have written her as a stock character with no real leaning toward any side.  And when did we/S trust Adele so quickly to bring her into Clone club.  Am I the only person who finds that odd? She may well be trustworthy, but the level of trust does not seem earned.

Westmoreland seems like a caricature from a Mark Twain novel. 

I have no problems with the Kira or the kid who plays her. Personally, I think she is acting like a kid who could be in this real situation. Is she the best actress? Not by a longshot. I think the young lady playing the young clone is a much better actress. But, Kira is fine to me.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

Is there something swollen about Kira's face? it looked rounder than usual. 

I Am fine with the story as long as some resolution gets out each show. 

I have noticed that too. At first I thought she wa sick with maybe kidney disease

• Love 1

some research - we are born with 2 million eggs. 132000 die a year before puberty, 1K a month die after puberty.  There are about 500K at puberty. So if they were going to take 250K AT FIRST, that would leave Kira in a difficult to have a child position,. 

• Love 3

I'm shocked by all the comments here doing nothing but complaining. We got answers! The beginning of cloning and the reason for it! This is where the show has been headed all along. Who, why, when, where? There have been various layers revealed but now we're at the heart of it, and we're getting answers! We're also seeing greater depth on individual clones than we've ever seen before - that's fantastic! It also speaks a great deal to their individuality despite being clones. But if all anyone wants to do is complain about how the show isn't -- I don't know -- standing still and providing fun clone interactions and dance parties all the time, then you're missing a lot. The lighter moments have been really special, but this show has always had a deeper agenda.

Since S2, the stories have taken the full season to emerge. It's no different now. There are 5 episodes left, and a lot can happen. I have no doubt that the clones will come back together, and it will be all the sweeter to see them fighting together for their freedom and sovereignty.

21 hours ago, Frisson said:

I like Cosima, but she should have shot Westmoreland while she had the gun.

Our desire for an outcome doesn't change who Cosima is as a person.

• Love 12

Eh, who is Kendall?  

Thanks for the Exposition Fairy making an appearance in the downstairs lab with the science team!  That helped.  (And I've never missed an episode.  Imagine how newbies to the show feel?  Channel changing, that's how they feel.)

Kira sucks.  Actor and character.  

That's all I have for now.

• Love 1
On 09/07/2017 at 4:10 PM, MissLucas said:

How considerate of Westmoreland to have a tux around that fit Cosima perfectly. (No, that's not what it looks like if you put a woman in a random man's tux - but she looked great.)

I'm guessing he had lots of sizes of both dresses and tuxedos. There looked to be lots of clothes in that room.

Cosima's betrayed face is so good. I just want to hug her. She's the most puppy-like of all the clones.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Captanne said:

Eh, who is Kendall?

Mrs. S's mom, who it turned out had both male and female genes (she ate her twin brother in the womb?) that were used as the base of the Leda and Castor clones. Someone w/ a much better grasp of a science can explain this so it makes a modicum of sense.

• Love 3

I can't believe we have only five more episodes left, I feel like there's more that needs to be explained/dealt with than can be covered in just five episodes. Also, an episode without Felix or Donny feels so empty. :-(

Ira is glitching at a really bad time, I did laugh when upon Rachel's arrival he remarked that he had removed all the knives. Still loving that S is working with Scott and Hell Wizard (I can never remember his name!). 

I just hate Rachel more and more with each passing episode, when she walks onscreen I always hope someone she's hurt hits low and trips her so she ends up sprawled on the ground. I know that's not nice to say but I'm hoping she gets the mother of all comeuppances. 

I refuse to believe that Sarah would fall for a Kira hustle. If she does here's to S out-hustling them both! 

• Love 3

I was thinking on a cortisone regimen. That gives people a moon face.

Exactly what I was thinking.   Been on it enough myself to see the signs.   She has a round puffy face with only a little body fat to match it.  Her face is nearly expressionless, but that could just be her bad acting ability.    

Like others who've said this season is tedious, I so agree.  It is not fun in the least.   Helena is the only enjoyable part.  And maybe Donnie.

• Love 3
(edited)

When the Castor story started is when the show started losing me. I disagree that this is where the show has been headed from the beginning.  Since the Castors  it has become disjointed and convoluted. Remember all that military crap in the desert? Yeah no need to remember. It was pointless.

What I loved about it in the beginning was the exploration of character and the role of nature vs nurture. I liked the discovery and the exploration of the sisterhood and I liked Felix's role in the story. Now he is largely absent as is Art and Donnie. I am disappointed that so much of this season is dependent on Kira. I think she is a weak character portrayed by an actress that just is not that good in the role.   Then they throw in those new characters that I just do not care about-Mud, PT westmoreland, the foreign little girl who is sick. 

Edited by gibasi
I wrote girl. I think it was autocorrected to the other. My sincere apologies.
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, gibasi said:

Then they throw in those new characters that I just do not care about-Mud, PT westmoreland, the foreign little gorilla who is sick. 

Not sure if you are aware of the implications of calling people of color "gorillas" and other primate names, but this is a pretty problematic way of referring to the young Muslim girl.  I do take your broader point about the introduction of multiple new characters in this final season though.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, wevel said:

Not sure if you are aware of the implications of calling people of color "gorillas" and other primate names, but this is a pretty problematic way of referring to the young Muslim girl.  I do take your broader point about the introduction of multiple new characters in this final season though.

That sounded like intentional racism to me. No reason to treat it gently.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, AftermathTV said:
25 minutes ago, wevel said:

That sounded like intentional racism to me. No reason to treat it gently.

Based on @gibasi's reputation here, I'm guessing it was just a really unfortunate case of autocorrect changing "girl" to "gorilla." I just messaged @gibasi about it.

• Love 6

I'm fine with the story and not complaining about the convoluted plotlines -- except for the fact that I've been watching the show since it started.  For someone to come into the 5th season with no background, it would be very difficult.  The flashbacks just aren't enough to keep Neolution, the Proletheans, all the Clones in Clone Club (Leda), the Castors, and good-God-etceteras straight.  I couldn't imagine anyone being able to do that.  I can barely do that and STILL had to ask who the fuck Kendall is.  Seriously.  Too much.

I wonder whatever became of the Very Handsome Kira's Dad?  (Whose name I don't remember.  Cal?)

The "girl" "gorilla" confusion totally looks like a really unfortunate automatic spell-correct to me.  Oh, dear.  (Aw.)

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Captanne said:

I wonder whatever became of the Very Handsome Kira's Dad?  (Whose name I don't remember.  Cal?)

He met Daenerys Targaryen. He was last seen in season 3x2 when he took Kira to Iceland but he wasn't in the episode when Sarah reunited with Kira (forgot the details) at the end of the season.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, gibasi said:

My sincere apologies for my post. Thank you for the pm informing me of the error, Shapeshifter. I have since corrected it to read girl. The only reason I designated the little girl as foreign was to distinguish her from the other little girl with the leg braces-the one who is a clone. I am not very good at remembering names. 

I would never ever post something so offensive. I apologize to everyone here. 

I feel for you here. Back in TWOP days I used an everyday word that I wasn't sophisticated enough to know was racially coded ("uppity" -- I didn't mean it in any pejorative sense, but I understand now, years later, why no one believed me), and man did I get it from other posters. Obviously this is much different from your autocorrect error, but it can be very upsetting to have people think you're racist. :/

Anyway, to get on topic, I've more or less checked out of this show, but I still read the threads to see if there's any reason to tune in. I've always disliked magical-child characters as plot drivers, so I'm sad to see it's still all about Kira. It's unfortunate the actress is getting a lot of hate and criticism about her appearance, but I suppose showbiz is tough. Hopefully she's able to take some time off and, like, get through puberty relatively unscathed now. 

The showrunners definitely don't seem willing to make adjustments based on fan feedback. I feel like we've been complaining about the overly convoluted/incoherent plots since late S2 at least.

• Love 9

Well, at least there was some development, and they are revealing why the Clones were created and what Westmoreland and Rachel's endgame is (use Kira's eggs to create immortality and all that jazz), but I guess I realized just now that I'm not wild about Cosima and Delphine as a couple, because I was pretty much bored with all of their angst, arguing, and finally reconciliation.  I guess part of it is I just must miss Cosima hanging with the other Clones, even if this is likely much easier for Tatiana Maslany.  At least they ended the arc with Westmoreland/Susan/Cody's "creature," because all of that stuff just felt like a silly B-movie.

At least Sarah and Kira are finally on better terms, although I fear Sarah's attempt to teach Kira to "pull a hustle" on Rachel is going to end up being a reversal: Kira pulling one on her for Rachel.  Because for some bizarre reason, Kira continues to act like she prefers Rachel over her own mother.

That said, I already know I'm going to love the next episode due to the return from a certain Clone!

• Love 6
(edited)

To be fair, I have no problem with child actors.  Obviously.  They are necessary and ubiquitous.  I do have a problem with this particular casting choice --- especially because she is becoming the lynchpin of the story.  (Which was predictable -- from the very beginning Sarah's viable fertility was THE issue.  Pun intended.)

I am also not fond of "magical child" stories.  That is purely a matter of taste.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 6

Kira's been a 'magical child' since season one and it was always clear that she'd become a focus point. Actually I think it should have happened sooner. As for her casting - they opted for a kid who looked like it could be Maslany's. She hasn't been given much to work with and her sullen approach this season works for me since this is Sarah's daughter. And from all we know Sarah was no little sunshine either. And can we please stop discussing her looks and speculating about her health?

• Love 17

sorry I started the talk about her face, it just looked different the last episode, It could have been watching TV from an angle, I didn't think she looked like herself.  Now kids grow and change,but not usually in the middle of the season.  I  am a member of the round healthy looking face club, 

As to the plots, it is always hard to tie up a million strings at the end of the show, I think this show will be a bit disjointed for as long as it takes to tie everything up. Who survives is the question for me. Some times Rachel is redeemable but mostly she is not.  Who can be integrated back into society and who has to die heroically?  

Interesting that they are back into harvesting eggs, first they wanted  Sarah's now they want  her daughters, How are they doing at hunting down Helena, do they want her babies or her eggs - does it matter that she buried all her old eggs in the garden or are they too old? 

• Love 3
On 7/8/2017 at 9:08 PM, Frisson said:

I used to love this show and look forward to it! 

I really don't like that I feel this way, but I agree. Some of this season has felt like a chore - I really could have lived without quite so many scenes of Mud and that random dude stalking Yannis through the woods. I did think this episode managed to recapture some of the magic with the idea of a race against time to stop a new generation of clones being born and the cycle starting again, though. 

All the stuff Westmoreland was behind - Neolution, Dyad, Topside, Rachel, Leekie, Evie Cho etc etc etc. He must really, really, REALLY want to live forever! 

Bye Ira, looks like you're going to glitch out of the show long before the finale. No disrespect to Ari Millen, but I really, really, REALLY wish they hadn't introduced the Castors. There have been SO many stories about male clones and blah blah blah supersoldiercakes. I don't think the show ever recovered from that season. And if they had to keep a Castor around, I'd have preferred they retained Mark, he was much more interesting. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Kira's been a 'magical child' since season one and it was always clear that she'd become a focus point. Actually I think it should have happened sooner. As for her casting - they opted for a kid who looked like it could be Maslany's. She hasn't been given much to work with and her sullen approach this season works for me since this is Sarah's daughter. And from all we know Sarah was no little sunshine either. And can we please stop discussing her looks and speculating about her health?

I don't disagree that it was obvious from the beginning they were going this way, but I suppose I allowed myself to hope they'd change course because I was so enamored with season one and the original cast. :)

I don't think the 'sullenness' or the material is really the problem, though; she's just not a good actor. I know it seems mean to say that about kids, but again, showbiz is tough.

Full disclosure, though, I don't like many child actors unless they are of the caliber of the kids on Game of Thrones--not that any of them are really kids anymore. 

(I end up plugging this show way too much lately, but the kid who plays Ryan on Happy Valley (Netflix UK crime drama import) is phenomenal. And he plays a little brat you really want to smack upside the head.)

• Love 3
On 7/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Captanne said:

Daenerys Targaryen sounds like Game of Thrones.

LOL  :-)

He also plays (played?  guess we have to wait for Season 7) Daario Naharis, a love interest for Daenerys Targaryen, on GoT.

IMO, this show has always been about a woman's right to self-determination and control over her own bodily autonomy.  I wish they had made Kira (the character, not the actress -- she is already way to old to play 8 believably, IMO) a little older to begin with, because I think it would make for an interesting twist if she were to decide that she WANTS to donate her eggs to Rachel and Neolution.  Clone Club then would have a very difficult decision to make - what happens when a woman (girl) exercises her right to self-determination in a way of which they don't approve?  

• Love 5
(edited)

So that really is a GoT name?  LOL  I've never seen the show.  

I guess the reference is that the actor who play(s) Kira's father got a role on GoT?

You have an interesting idea there, mahree -- if Kira were more Mud's age the moral issues would get more complicated fast.

Edited by Captanne
17 hours ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Bye Ira, looks like you're going to glitch out of the show long before the finale. No disrespect to Ari Millen, but I really, really, REALLY wish they hadn't introduced the Castors. There have been SO many stories about male clones and blah blah blah supersoldiercakes. I don't think the show ever recovered from that season. And if they had to keep a Castor around, I'd have preferred they retained Mark, he was much more interesting. 

Pretty sure they are heading towards Ira being saved, and hopefully they send the treatment to Mark too.

I haven't seen any male clone stories before, so it wasn't really played out for me. This one seems like a huge distinction to what you're used to btw.

Castor has always been a plot device to develop the women. They introduced us to Krystal and made us empathize with her, it gave Gracie a story about accepting "abominations" and rebelling against her religious abuse, Rudy was a parallel of Helena without the redemption, and lastly they've been around to highlight the questionable ethics of Susan/Coady.

(edited)

I'm just so happy to get answers, I don't care how convoluted everything still is. We at least know why the clones were created (even if its not a super interesting reason), and we have some idea of what the end game is now with Kira the wonder child. Its not an awful conclusion, there's always been something about Kira, so I'm still into following the story.

Oh Cosima. I think she's book smart, but common sense dumb. She can figure out super complex medical and scientific data, but she has no clue that when the obvious villain hands you a gun, you should at least consider shooting him in the leg or something, or, at the very least, don't walk right into the creepy cage when he's standing right there! Come on Cosima, you've been unraveling this conspiracy for awhile now! I did really like the dinner scene, and Cosima talking about her parents. That was really nice moment. Alas, I was super distracted by Delphine's weird, old timie dress. I guess it belonged to PT, and he's kept it around since 1800, but it wasn't a good look for her. It somehow made her look even more sketchy.

Poor bio Frankenstein monster. That was really sad, PT really seems like a piece of shit. However, did we REALLY need to spend so much time on minor characters hunting him through the woods? Did they leave the torches and pitchforks on the mainland?

I miss Felix. And Allison. And Helena. At least next week it looks like the return of Art and Crystal!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
(edited)

-The Chronicles of Cophine: Orphan Black's Lesbian Soap Opera.

-A flashback to something unseen from the S1 finale. Delphine's such an ass-kisser. *eyes roll*

-Revival is really bad at keeping up lies.

-Thanks Kira, their hushed tone was really exasperating.

-He used to have a room upstairs? PT's one shitty ass roommate. Run, Mud.

-Susan's "I'm steering him" nonsense is pitifully transparent. She wants to push forward herself. Poor Ira being patronized.

-Callback to Rachel's patenting. PT knows just what to say to make Rachel thinks she's a stand-out snowflake.

-Rachel struck a fragile nerve. Random crone. He knows most things but he's a 170 year old that could pass for a toddler.

-Wind blown. That's actually a great way to describe Delphine's allegiance.

-Rachel's using a cruel trick on Susan's ruptured spot that Delphine once did to her. That kind of erases my prior sympathy. But Rachel doesn't like sharing Kira.

-Delphine takes info but doesn't give. Meanwhile Sarah/Kira make a fair trade agreement.

-I'd love to get a full look at that lab board. Several posters here might benefit from it!

-"I just got here, I'm telling you now". Only because Cosima got huffy and made you feel guilty.

-Frog that. Bread breaking.

-Cosima has parents! On a houseboat. Wasn't on my unanswered questions list, but congratulations to people who ponder about Cosima more than I do.

-Kira is now a mouse instead of a monkey. Everyone is a confusing code animal. Kira will probably hustle Rachel by playing the daughter she never had card.

-Delphine was just going to leave after giving PT information that endangers Cosima's life. Fantastic girlfriend. You suck at promises.

-Delphine doesn't know the meaning of consent, and that's why I've never really believed she's seen Cosima as a full human being. Try as she might to pretend.

-They just come to terms with their bonkers toxic cycle. They have real reasons to look at a division, many that PT has little to take credit for.

-Not sad that Mr. McShovey got axed. Can't say I expected the mutation to use a weapon instead of its chompers. 

-So these morons just needed to make sure the clones weren't barren, and they'd be swimming in miracle gene donors.

-Sarah and Helena's babies will not be able to make more babies! But more super-humans the merrier. PT, it's not like you're on a timer or anything, right?

-Looks like Ira needs the mitigation first...get that roof of his checked.

-Well yeah, I guess he can take your life away (and Yannis') when you slap the gun back down next to his grasp. Is it really more humane to keep Yannis alive just because it makes you feel more self-righteous? Legitimate question, because this is like how I have a cat that my family is struggling to put down. 

-S has an entirely unheard of deep-throat that was not Delphine. One swerve. Hope it's Cal, but I'll temper my expectations down to bloody Ferdinand.

-Kira about to go boom-boom is the real eye-opener. Just like that spiny mouse, I think she'd miraculously pull herself back together.

-Next Time: Cosima can rot, Mud is mad at the wrong person, Coady and PT reunite, Scott has the sexiest time of his life, and Krystal was so right about the cosmetics.

Edited by AftermathTV
  • Love 3
On 7/9/2017 at 11:10 AM, MissLucas said:

We all need a screencap of the geeks wall of crazy - is Kendall Malone even mentioned there? Because with the introduction of Yannis and his Wolverine gene her whole arc becomes even murkier. Couldn't they have inserted the healing gene in some not-cloned test-subjects? And if not - why? And why was everyone so desperate to get Kendall's DNA? How is the cloning arc connected to the Wolverine-gene arc? *confused*

Yes, Kendall Malone was on the board. Inserting the gene into the clones gives them a large number of test subjects. And they were desperate to get her DNA so that it was possible to make more Leda and Castor clones (and more of the Castor pathogen). Her DNA is uniquely suited to being cloned, which they've found impossible with other subjects.

• Love 2
(edited)

Speaking of Cal -- have our Gene Geniuses (tm with amusing twist, the perfectly perfect David Bowie) wondered about the sperm donors?  I mean, I haven't heard or seen one nod to either Cal or to the Prolethean male DNA source.  While the fertile clones may be anomalies, you'd think that there would be one single curious mention of what it takes to be the other half of that miracle mix.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Yes, Kendall Malone was on the board. Inserting the gene into the clones gives them a large number of test subjects. And they were desperate to get her DNA so that it was possible to make more Leda and Castor clones (and more of the Castor pathogen). Her DNA is uniquely suited to being cloned, which they've found impossible with other subjects.

Ah, thanks!

1 hour ago, Captanne said:

Speaking of Cal -- have our Gene Geniuses (tm with amusing twist, the perfectly perfect David Bowie) wondered about the sperm donors?  I mean, I haven't heard or seen one nod to either Cal or to the Prolethean male DNA source.  While the fertile clones may be anomalies, you'd think that there would be one single curious mention of what it takes to be the other half of that miracle mix.

IIRC the sperm donors don't matter. What makes Sarah and Helena special is that they were twins, somehow the process that caused a single zygote to develop into two embryos undid Leda's genius tweak of making the clones barren (and sick though the latter wasn't by design).

I had to force myself to watch this a week late. It's just not fun anymore. I hope I can make it to the end but there are far better shows taking up my time. I still have the utmost admiration for TM tho.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Haleth said:

I had to force myself to watch this a week late. It's just not fun anymore. I hope I can make it to the end but there are far better shows taking up my time. I still have the utmost admiration for TM tho.

I felt that way about watching the next (this week's 5.6) episode, but it turned out to be better, so, hang in there, I guess?

• Love 1