Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Week 7: Switzerland

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, waving feather said:

Right? I wanted man jealousy and bitchy confessionals over it. Sometimes the producers are clueless on milking an actual social interaction drama. You know on ANTM/ Survivor, there would be a whole segment of that. Instead, they focused on the fake blood/ tears/ fued of the Lee and Kenny kind. 

All that ridiculous drama with Lee was pointless. Adam and Matt seemed like nice guys and I would have much rather seen a scene with them and Rachel so we can see why they were in the final 6. There must have been something there.

Bryan is growing on me, and Peter less so. He seems reserved and distant at times, and I don't blame him. If Rachel doesn't pick him he's definitely a shoe-in for the next Bachelor. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, dirtypop90 said:

I read Peter differently. I think he is very calculating. Has no interested in Rachel. And is doing just enough so that he can be the bachelor. And it's working.

@TheFinalRose we posted at the same time! Totally agree with you on Peter. We've seen his act before.

How is he being calculating so as to become the Bachelor? Shouldn't we see him declaring his love so that he can have a good broken-heart story that will have him searching for a woman who loves and wants him as much as he loves and wants her? He seems to be  showing real life reservations and being honest with Rachel that he will tell her beforehand and not get down on one knee if he has doubts.  Peter seems to be very perceptive and pays close attention to Rachel, so I know it must be bothering him to see how she is with Bryan.  She might be the Bachelorette but she is not the only one searching for someone.  Having matching jewelry with one of the men in the house cannot make any sensible man feel assured about where her heart and head are regarding him.  This is Bryan's to lose.  I'm not into what he's serving but that's irrelevant. Rachel is into it. He gives me slightly less intense creepy vibes than the  Texas lawyer who was eliminated on his one-on-one. 

• Love 16

Peter would make a terrible Bachelor, because even his mom sees that he's not ready for marriage (per the preview). And now there's his running and needing to poop confessional that will forever be what I think of when I look at him. I think Dean needs the love more than anything ... but is he already shipped off to BIP? If so then that shoots that chance. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, weightyghost said:

This episode is kind of ridiculous. Rachel was so upset that Peter was like "well, if I'm not 100% ready to marry you, I wont propose" as if that's a bad thing... like, she'd rather go with her 2nd choice if he's ready to get married but Peter isn't? 

This 1000 times!! That bugged me so much!

• Love 11

she talked about going to Catholic School

She said she went to a private school, but I don't think it was Catholic school.  She told Dean she'd never been to a Catholic mass before.  Other private schools wear uniforms, too.  Somehow she strikes me as Southern Baptist, but that's a total guess.

• Love 4

I lurrrve hometown dates and this year promises to be the most dramatic hometowns ever! 

Dean's Dad with the Smarmy Swami thing going on. Hee! Bryan's uncompromising bitch-mom who ran a woman off and then cried about how guilty she felt.  I'll bet she and Peter would hit it off.  Peter's parents may not quite remember who he is. I have a brother like that who lived in California to our West Virginia and only came home once every ten years or so.  He didn't even make it home for my parents' funerals, so no, we didn't meet many of his live-ins.  Maybe the show will get Eric's parents together for the first time ever and they can bring in some of the extended family if their parole officers will let them.  I admire Eric for pulling himself out of all that, but you could see Rachel was a little bit taken back.

6 hours ago, backformore said:

Dean laughing about everything reminded me of a 15 year old boy on his first date. 

Rachel:  We need to have a serious talk.

Dean:  What's your favorite dinosaur?

My husband used  to try to deflect my anger with stupid jokes like that and it made me absolutely furious.  Just stop it Dean.

I guess it's Bryan's game to lose. I've figured it would be him from the start, he kisses the way Rachel likes and he's a master at JoJo's "words of affirmation," and Rachel seems to like that, too.   I'm not a fan of the high cheekbone look that was so popular during the Hollywood heyday of Jennifer Jones and Ava Gardner, but lots of people love it.  At least the cheekbones don't force his eyes into a perma-squint as sometimes happens. (I was going to name an example, but it might set her husband off into a Twitter rant.)

• Love 16
(edited)

I just love this show.  Not as much as Bachelor in Paradise or Southern Charm, but I love it.   I cannot wait to see the families next week.  Sometimes I wonder what I'd do if one of my sons went on and I was a mom on a hometown visit.    I wouldn't be sincere and nice and give my blessing, but I wouldn't grill the girl either, I mean, what if they marry and then I'd always be the evil mother in law, not just to the new wife but to the nation.    I think I would try to get in a snarky comment or two.  I'm always surprised the families don't see it as a big party on camera, or something to enjoy and joke about.   

Edited by hyacinth
  • Love 5

I don't mind Rachel, but I just feel like her episodes drag out forever.  I don't think she is doing anything wrong, and for the most part is handling it well, but she and her guys just happen to bore me. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, JenE4 said:

The best part of the episode was the CH magnet on the back of the car when it was driving off with Matt. Even though the show didn't spring for Harrison to make the trip to France or he took a personal day to go skiing in the Alps or something, it was a little way for CH to pop in and remind us that Rachel, gentlemen, this is the final rose. Or, um, maybe CH was the initials of the town they were in, but I'm going with it for being Chris Harrison.

Damn. I think I kept confusing Adam with Tickle Monster because of the dumb dummy gimmick. Or if I saw him in the background, I just thought he was Alex or Bryan or someone else I actually acknowledged as being cute. But now that the dude got some screen time, I think he was the most handsome of the bunch left. I also liked his toast about Rachel finding love...even though the other two jumped on with similar sentiments, he said it best. We hardly knew ye, Adam. Hope you (sans Adam Jr) show up in Paradise.

I can't wait to meet Dean's eccentric guru Dad! This is going to be as great as the taxidermist dad in...help me out here, people...Ali's season, maybe? Was it Kurt's dad? I think I'm mixing up seasons, but it was a classic.

nothing will ever beat Lanny's Mom on Meredith's season. Dean is sooooo darn cute, I feel so badly for him that his family situation has him so depressed and upset.( Peter is also very cute, love the gap tooth) and I thought the ultra long kiss when sending someone home last nite (Adam, matt??) was inappropriate. If a bachelor lead did that he would get a ton of criticism.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, hyacinth said:

Sometimes I wonder what I'd do if one of my sons went on and I was a mom on a hometown visit.    I wouldn't be sincere and nice and give my blessing, but I wouldn't grill the girl either, I mean, what if they marry and then I'd always be the evil mother in law, not just to the new wife but to the nation.   

Ben's mother did this after he had bought Jojo and Lauren home to meet her.  She absolutely gushed about how much she loved and preferred Jojo, saying she and Jojo were the very  same type and she loved Jojo's personality Jojo reminded her of herself when she was younger.  As if.  She thought Lauren was too so stiff and formal.  If  I'd been Lauren I never would have forgiven her.  Yes, Jojo was relaxed and confident because Jojo grew up with a family that talked about nothing except how perfect she was.  Even her brothers talked about how beautiful and hot she was.  So Jojo goes into every situation expecting everyone to absolutely adore her.   Lauren, on the other hand, was a normal young woman who was a little bit stiff and nervous about meeting the family.  In any case, I would have had more tact about who I liked best and would have tried not to stick my finger down my throat over Jojo's relentless perkiness.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Nothing,I'm just inferring from what he said about not having great role models, seemed to describe a  difficult neighborhood, etc. I'm just projecting that he did not attend the best schools growing up, or if he did there was no one there making sure he took advantage of his education.

Hey, sue me. I get bored and I start making up backstories for everyone because it is more interesting than what I am hearing and seeing on screen. 

Ok, thanks.  I just thought he actually had made up some excuse for his poor grammar.

10 hours ago, weightyghost said:

This episode is kind of ridiculous. Rachel was so upset that Peter was like "well, if I'm not 100% ready to marry you, I wont propose" as if that's a bad thing... like, she'd rather go with her 2nd choice if he's ready to get married but Peter isn't? 

Right at the beginning when she walks into the room all dressed in white, she essentially chastises them for sitting-- "come on guys,Give me a hug! STAND UP!" So they were being a bit too casual for her just hanging around on the couch.

Man, that girl wants affirmation that she is the bee's knees every moment of the day. I always thought the "give everybody a hug" absolutely ridiculous. But then I also think french kissing multiple guys is gross.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Eric has grown on me to the point that he is my favorite guy.  Not for Rachel, but wow, he is a lovely man and has made something fine of himself, despite the odds, by virtue of his positive nature.  He seems humble, sincere and kind-hearted.

I went from not caring about/mild dislike of Eric to him being my absolute favorite too and I kind of love him.  Eric is the only man (other than Dean) who is an actual person.   Something Rachel said during their one-on-one really irritated me.  Eric describes his less than stellar family.  He says many/most of the male members sell drugs and have been to prison.   He's pretty clear that he's ashamed of their lifestyle and that this is the reason he's never brought a girl home to meet any of them.  Rachel, in her TH, says this is a "red flag", seems to take it personally and suggest there's something wrong with Eric.  She doesn't seem to get that he's hesitant to bring a woman he cares about into "Straight Outta Compton".  I believe when Eric started describing his family life, which is the polar opposite of hers, she was taken aback and just quit listening.  She gave him the rose out of pity and obligation, which stinks because Eric is the sweetest, most mature and "real" guy there.

• Love 21
9 hours ago, In2You said:

I felt like I missed an essential piece and was left wondering why it made Rachel teary eyed. They clearly gave Peter the Bachelor edit there

I haven't watched the episode yet, but your discussion about Peter never giving anyone his full heart sounds like a Bachelor audition speech to me.

I'd join the that Douchebag Hair band but I'm already signed up for Big Brother's Victim Noises rock band.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hyacinth said:

I just love this show.  Not as much as Bachelor in Paradise or Southern Charm, but I love it.   I cannot wait to see the families next week.  Sometimes I wonder what I'd do if one of my sons went on and I was a mom on a hometown visit.    I wouldn't be sincere and nice and give my blessing, but I wouldn't grill the girl either, I mean, what if they marry and then I'd always be the evil mother in law, not just to the new wife but to the nation.    I think I would try to get in a snarky comment or two.  I'm always surprised the families don't see it as a big party on camera, or something to enjoy and joke about.   

You could be like JoJo's mom, welcome the guys with a swig out of the wine bottle.

• Love 4

CH = Confoederatio Helvetica, Latin name for Switzerland.

When Peter told the teary break-up tale, I figured "Not F1." I'm guessing. I can see a real future only with Eric, but I don't imagine Rachel will be thrilled with the Home Town Visit (HTV). But then, Dean's Dad? (Cue "Twilight Zone" theme.)

I actually don't think Rachel is any great beauty. Or wit. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I actually don't think Rachel is any great beauty. Or wit. 

yeah, she's attractive, and well-educated. But I haven't seen anything "special" about her. She's just as good at the glib, banal, comments as Bryan is. "Deep Feelings" "Real Connection" blah blah blah

• Love 5

I just thought when Dean said his Dad "went eccentric," he meant he became a massive racist and Tea Partyer. That would have been a horrible hometown date, but something TPTB would gladly subject us to.

But noooo hooho! We're getting a turban, incense and silk rugs. Thanks so much!!! I'd give anything if Dean's Dad could fit, "You ain't never had a friend like me" in the hometown date conversation. If there is ever a live action Aladdin, Papa Dean is a shoe-in.

On a real note, I like Dean less now. I would never make my parents go through this exploitive show, but I'd be ever more protective if they had a mental illness. Bachelor Nation fans are crazy. They're going to find where Dean's Dad lives and harass him. I'm worried for Genie.

• Love 10
(edited)

I know it's routine for the Bachelorette to ask the guys to open up to share their sob stories... But I laughed when Peter finally shared his sad sob story, with tears in his eyes, about him dumping a girl he was living with. People have literally ran out of sob stories that regular old breakups are worth recounting on television. After pulling that chestnut out to create an emotional connection, I realised Peter and Rachel has ran out of things to bond or connect over. At least Dean has new material to contribute for her to give him a pity rose. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2

Peter is taking this too seriously.  It is refreshing to see this but he does not understand that proposing is merely saying, let's see where this goes in real life.  Again she leans in for the kiss.  Come on Peter.  Was this a problem in your last relationship?  Smart money is on yes. 

I have not seen any of them show a sense of humor.  That is what draws me to another.  

I don't see Peter as the next bach, he would not be able to carry the show.   I can see him getting back with his ex though.  

Home visits!  My favorite episode.  Dean, get over the past (as dad said)!  Just accept you have an eccentric father and laugh about it.  And take Rachael to your house/apt and have her meet your friends instead.   Like production would agree to that!  

I am looking forward to this. 

Eric graduated magna cum laude and he speaks like this?  Oh hell no!  

• Love 9

I bet Dean's dad isn't as over the top as Show is portraying him on the preview--an aging hippie and bad father, apparently, but those togs and the room's decor looked brand new to me. I don't know why he or that house (assuming that was his house) even has to be on the show--other home town dates haven't always involved biological families. Personally I'd rather have hometowns be more about the friends, which we choose, than families, which for good or bad aren't chosen--all these guys' friends and how the guys interact with them would tell me more about what kind of persons they are than the family they describe would. These guys left home--show us where they are now, not where they grew up. If I'd been judged by my dysfunctional family, I would not have ever had a date let alone been married. 

• Love 8

I don't blame Rachel for saying she heard "red flags" in Eric's conversation.  He has a self-published book online and in the prologue he thanks his family, including his father, his fellow alumni at his university and his idol Tony Robbins.  His book is full of what he calls "self-quotes,"  that he believes will change people's lives.  His prologue also says, "I have read a plethora of books where I have learned diction."

I think, and this may be what Rachel is worried about, that, like a preacher with a wild past, Eric uses his background to impress people with how far he's come and is actually just the opposite of humble.  That may be my own opinion of most "motivational speakers," coming out. How proud of yourself do you have to be to set yourself up as an exemplary model for others?  I doubt that Rachel is prejudiced against people who have criminals in the  extended family, but when Eric volunteered that one was doing fifty years, I thought I heard a note of pride in his voice and that Rachel heard it, too.

• Love 8
(edited)

Eric has a self-published book and he spelled "facade", starting with P-H during the spelling bee challenge? That would be a red flag for me. Just kidding. But not really. 

I actually like Eric. He is the least guarded of all of the guys left and it's quite refreshing. But in no universe would Rachel ever choose him to be her potential husband.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 8

Another unintentionally funny moment: when Dean said with utmost conviction during his bitching session with Peter about Bryan "He's 37 years old and he's from MIAMI" like those are definitive evidence of Bryan's terrible shortcomings. I get what he's getting at but sometimes the way Dean says things make him sound younger than 25.

• Love 15

When Rachel was trying to talk seriously to Dean and his response was, "What's your favorite dinosaur?"  That would've been the end of the line for me, right that minute.

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, fib said:

I am soooooo tired of seeing Brian's gross kisses. He makes me really miss Arie, who knew how to passionately kiss on camera and make my knees buckle.  

Arie, my Arie.... there will never be another Arie!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I don't mind Rachel, but I just feel like her episodes drag out forever.  I don't think she is doing anything wrong, and for the most part is handling it well, but she and her guys just happen to bore me. 

Thank you!!!  I was going to try & watch on the recommendation of my hairdresser, but have watched the first & last bits, just to see what's happening.  The guys seem like real dopes, and WHAT was that kiss all about when she bought Brian the watch?

• Love 1

So two of the four finalists have uncomfortable family situations. While I'm sure plenty of entertaining weirdness and drama will come of this, when she was talking to Eric, he said that pretty much his whole family were criminals and/or drug addicts, and he handles himself separately. I kept thinking "then what home, what 'family' are we talking about?" Why can't they just go where Eric lives now and see his current friends?

The same for poor Dean, who gave up the whole confession, but again, "home?" "family?" Just have a fun day with the friends in his current, actual home.

I suspect I won't enjoy next week.

• Love 5

I still find Bryan smarmy for as much as his face can move. Everything he says seems so corny and rehearsed to me. Watching him show off his watch, I can see why Peter was hesitant later. Not sure Rachel really gets why. I did enjoy the promo for next week with Rachel's sister chiming in there. 

Geneva looks gorgeous, but I was turned off Bryan and Rachel's date by all the loud smacking that the camera folks seemed intent on showing the audience. Dean's date was fine though it had its awkward moments. I feel for him on having a not good family situation. I enjoyed the date with Peter and I like his sincerity. I do think Rachel, in some ways, wants Peter to gush over her with OTT praise like Bryan does and that's not his speed. Personally, I appreciate his more measured responses and I'm getting a little frustrated at Rachel for acting like a giggly pre-teen when Bryan spouts his BS.  

I knew Matt and Adam had no shot. Where's Adam Jr? I like Eric but I don't he and Rachel are in the same places in their lives. I'm also wary of a man his age not ever bringing a woman home to meet the family. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, dirtypop90 said:

I am SO upset we didnt get a scene with Brian showing off the watch to the other guys. WHAT EVEN IS THE POINT?!

Good news, @dirtypop90! TPTB decided to be kind and released the deleted scene of the jealousy over the watch and OMG it is delicious. Why wasn't this kept in the main episode? It is 10x more entertaining than whatever they showed. It's like Bryan is trying to be low-key about it but also not really and all the other guys are trying to act happy for him but seething with jealousy. It's amazing.

Deleted Scene: Bryan's Date Details Make the Guys Jealous

• Love 10

I haven't read all the posts so apologies if this has been asked and answered, but if Dean is so removed from his family why does Rachel even have to meet them for hometowns??  I recall in past seasons there have been times when family members were not a part of the hometowns.  Hell, even when Rachel had HER hometown with Nick her dad wasn't there.  This is supposed to be an opportunity for Rachel to meet whomever is nearest and dearest to these men.  Clearly for Dean, this does not include his bio family anymore.  He doesn't even live in Boulder.  Why is this such a thing??

Matt was so cute.  I think his time with Rachel was cut short for tv because of the whole Lee dramz, and that really pisses me off.  Same with Adam probably.  I like all of Rachel's remaining guys.  I wouldn't mind seeing any of them as the bachelor.  Poor Eric is definitely in last place for Rachel's affections (at least editing wise), but I like him.  He's been very open and honest and I think that's really great for him.  Is it really that weird that he's never brought a girl home at 29??  I don't know.  I'm not very close with my family so that doesn't seem very strange to me.  Why bring someone home and have everyone get all attached if you're just "eh" about them?

I just want to make a cardboard cutout of Peter and place him in every scene so I can look at him.  I can't get over how hot he is.  It's really getting to be a problem, ha!

• Love 9
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Did you guys notice that she wasn't wearing them on the Peter date? Her own lashes looked really good, so that makes her choice of drag queen falsies at all other times even more WTF.

I thought I noticed that she wasn't wearing the falsies, but I wasn't sure.  She looks much better without them.

12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Another thing about Europe is that cobblestones are a bitch to walk on in high heels. My feet were hurting in sympathy watching Rachel traipse around Geneva in her five-inch stilettos.

Yeah, I was waiting for her to turn her ankles in those stilettos.  I know she was trying to be fashionable, but it looked stupid to be wearing stilettos on cobblestone streets.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Catronia said:

Why can't they just go where Eric lives now and see his current friends?

The same for poor Dean

Totally my point!  Eric said he was a good kid who never got involved in drugs, streets life and all that.  Dean was basically abandoned by his family at 15 by his own words.  Why do they have to go "home" to people who they are not close to??  Maybe Eric is still close to his mom or whomever raised him, but it does seem weird.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, fib said:

I am soooooo tired of seeing Brian's gross kisses. He makes me really miss Arie, who knew how to passionately kiss on camera and make my knees buckle.  

YMMV but I actually always thought Arie was an awful kisser and was convinced that was part of the reason Emily chose Jef. Between him and Sean, it was a slobber fest for the poor woman. Bryan is a good kisser in my opinion, he's just a very intense and passionate kisser, where it can be too much if it's not your thing (and it's not mine). I think it's clear that it's absolutely Rachel's thing. She is just as aggressive as he is and goes full in with the tongue as much as he does. That's why their kissing can border on uncomfortable and soft porn because they're both passionate and aggressive kissers. 

3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Peter is taking this too seriously.  It is refreshing to see this but he does not understand that proposing is merely saying, let's see where this goes in real life.  Again she leans in for the kiss.  Come on Peter.  Was this a problem in your last relationship?  Smart money is on yes. 

Here's my issue with Peter. I have no problems with someone taking the whole thing seriously (even though you do have to wonder if they've ever seen this show to not know that it's kind of a ridiculous way to meet your future wife/husband and always has been). It was one of the reasons I liked Vanessa last season while many others said she was whiny and weepy and annoying. I didn't have a problem with Peter saying that if he doesn't feel ready to propose by the end he wouldn't. My issue is after his weirdly spliced story about his ex (I say that because much like Brian's story I think the producers clearly chopped a lot out), he said that he THOUGHT he MIGHT be ready to open himself to the possibility of love again.

WTF - so he's not even sure that he's emotionally ready to open himself up to another woman, much less be ready for marriage and then he comes on this show where the whole premise is to be engaged by the end of a very fast tracked, weird and creepy dating experiment? It just doesn't make sense and why I can see why some are saying they feel like he's not fully sincere and came on with the goal of being the next Bachelor and extending his brand/fame/whatever.  And that red flag aside, the problem with Peter from the beginning for me is that he has never seemed as into Rachel as she is into him. So when he starts talking about how he could be ready to open himself up, like it's not even a sure thing, it just solidifies to me again that dude is just not that into her. YMMV. 

Did anyone else think that Bryan's last girlfriend breaking up with him because of his mom was a *huge* red flag? I can't believe Rachel didn't ask more questions when he said that.

I really think, like Peter's giving his account of his last relationship, that conversation was heavily edited. It just didn't seem to flow very well or make much sense. Like when it started you kind of assumed it was heading down the path of saying things were too hot and heavy too fast and it fizzled but then out of nowhere his mother made an appearance in the story. Just odd...

If I were Bryan, I would come back to the house in the Ultraman pose to show off my new watch and wear it around the house all the time. Heh. 

Even though technically the watch is not from Rachel, she probably has a say in who gets what date, so it must feel good to get an expensive gift. Besides, if he is not picked in the end, he has a ~10K watch to nurse his broken heart. And even if he is picked and they break up shortly after, he still gets to keep it, unlike the NL diamond ring. How cool. It's a beautiful watch, that design is love at first sight for me.

And it did happen because apparently there's a deleted scene online of that very thing. I haven't watched it myself but I read that Matt pointed it out when Bryan got back to the hotel from the date and asks him about it and Bryan tells them that Rachel got it for him and about the date. And yes, there was some seething jealousy. Chris Harrison references the jealousy in his weekly episode blog. It is surprising that the producers chose not to show that. That kind of drama which breeds insecurity and jealously in the contestants is right up their alley. Especially since twice now we've seen how Dean and Peter seem to have no issues feeding the obvious producer prodding of talking bad about Bryan. I actually find it interesting how many opinions Peter seemed to have of just about everyone when he can barely show Rachel much affection and is still talking about maybe being open to opening up. 

I am SO upset we didnt get a scene with Brian showing off the watch to the other guys. WHAT EVEN IS THE POINT?!

Right? I wanted man jealousy and bitchy confessionals over it. Sometimes the producers are clueless on milking an actual social interaction drama. You know on ANTM/ Survivor, there would be a whole segment of that. Instead, they focused on the fake blood/ tears/ fued of the Lee and Kenny kind. 

It was especially odd since there was obvious producer prodding last night to have the guys talk about every guy/guys while they were on their date with Rachel. So why pass up such a golden opportunity for genuine jealousy and tension?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, waving feather said:

Good news, @dirtypop90! TPTB decided to be kind and released the deleted scene of the jealousy over the watch and OMG it is delicious. Why wasn't this kept in the main episode? It is 10x more entertaining than whatever they showed. It's like Bryan is trying to be low-key about it but also not really and all the other guys are trying to act happy for him but seething with jealousy. It's amazing.

Deleted Scene: Bryan's Date Details Make the Guys Jealous

Were they seething with jealousy? It seemed more like realization that he is the frontrunner was sinking in. Oh well.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, comosedice said:

Were they seething with jealousy? It seemed more like realization that he is the frontrunner was sinking in. Oh well.

They already realized it when he was picked for his 1st one-on-one. I see jealousy here. Not only because of Rachel or the date but also the watch. YMMV.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

Arie, my Arie.... there will never be another Arie!

And to think he was almost the Bachelor until they gave the spot to that dynamo .... Chris Soules. A really, really, bad decision, IMO. However, with this group of finalists, I dunno. Might be time for Arie to get his chance, and that means a visit from their fav Bachelorette ever, Emily Maynard. I can see it working. 

Loved the Switzerland date, and they are not kidding that it's an expensive town. My daughter just came back from a semester abroad, where she visited Switz and was appalled at the prices. Apparently, even trying to do a cheap dinner, like a Subway sandwich or a Happy Meal, will cost you $20. No kidding. But the cows are cute, and the water amazingly clear. 

11 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I just want to make a cardboard cutout of Peter and place him in every scene so I can look at him.  I can't get over how hot he is.  It's really getting to be a problem, ha!

I don't like his looks at all. For some reason he just looks creepy to me, so I tend to look at my laptop when he's on screen. 

12 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I haven't read all the posts so apologies if this has been asked and answered, but if Dean is so removed from his family why does Rachel even have to meet them for hometowns??

I know! You could tell the fact that he wasn't going to be able to provide the traditional, table-full of loyal relatives ala Vanessa Grimaldi was really eating at him. This show really makes a big deal out of everyone showing up to be on tv, (or spotlighting the empty chair meant for those estranged sibs) when real life is so not like that. Add to the fact that Dean's story is truly heartbreaking, I was wishing he would tell her, sorry, I can't do the family visit. Bye!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I have not seen any of them show a sense of humor.  That is what draws me to another.  

I don't see Peter as the next bach, he would not be able to carry the show.   I can see him getting back with his ex though.  

Home visits!  My favorite episode.  Dean, get over the past (as dad said)!  Just accept you have an eccentric father and laugh about it.  And take Rachael to your house/apt and have her meet your friends instead.   Like production would agree to that!  

I am looking forward to this. 

Eric graduated magna cum laude and he speaks like this?  Oh hell no!  

Alex was playful & showed a sense of humor. I always get drawn to people who make me laugh .

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

This is supposed to be an opportunity for Rachel to meet whomever is nearest and dearest to these men.  Clearly for Dean, this does not include his bio family anymore.  He doesn't even live in Boulder.  Why is this such a thing??

Because the producers figured it would make for great entertainment and drama. Surprised Dean went along with it. Because you're right, other contestants have not had certain people at their HTD. Brad only met Ricki on Emily's HTD because her family didn't want to be a part of the show and he still picked her. Same, with Melissa on Jason's season, who had no one present if memory serves, at her HTD.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, fib said:

Eric's language is no different in nature than some of the people who have been on the show from the deep deep south.  It is a regional way of speaking.  It is not polished, but it reflects where and how he was raised and the way people speak there.  Im fine with the fact he doesnt code switch to hide his upbringing.  IMHO, If you didnt have a problem with Raven's arkansas-isms but you are shocked at Eric's Baltimore-isms, it might be worth reflecting on your biases.

I've got relatives and friends from the deep south and, while their accents might be different from mine based on where I live, most of them do use correct grammar.  Eric's language issues has nothing to do with regionalism.  It has to do with poor grammar.  Period.  

• Love 11

One of the greatest gifts we could have would be growing up with parents who always always used "proper" grammar. This was not Eric. His speech does not bother me at all and if his career is being a motivational speaker to people from similar backgrounds it is probably a benefit. Maybe he can turn it on and off, but I'm imagining Rachel's stuffy law firm or family dinner parties (yes I have an active imagination) and him sticking out like a sore thumb. Because in spite of Peter's godawful rap, she is not a girl from the 'hood. I would love Eric as the next Bachrlir.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

while their accents might be different from mine based on where I live, most of them do use correct grammar.  Eric's language issues has nothing to do with regionalism.  It has to do with poor grammar.  Period.  

Fixin' to, y'all, gonna and ain't... which are common in the parts of the South I have lived in... are not "correct grammar".  They are however more socially acceptable than the language Eric uses in our society.  

Your family and friends may be different than the ones Im thinking of.  My favorite Southerner teaches english writing to the government and has better grammar than my grammar nazi English-boarding-school-alumnus mom.   So the grammar issue isnt universal among Southerners.  

Edited by fib
  • Love 3