Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Game of Tweens / S03.08: Reverse The Curse

Emma and Tina plan a birthday party for their most demanding client yet, a 13 year old girl. Maggie goes on a date, but frosty feelings abound.

On their way to a fancy dinner, Maggie and Emma get into trouble in the best way possible. Some new and old friends come to their rescue.

Aw, I like Bocephus, if only because the gag seems really about one friend embarrassing the hell out of another.

I'm worried the show won't be renewed, but I'm glad there was a third season. My sister and I have had rip-roaring times like these ladies, and we'd die for each other.

It's a beautiful tribute to what women can be, and often are, to one another. So often we are portrayed on TV as catty or bitchy to one another, and this is simply refreshing.

• Love 9

I'm like Emma. I've never seen Game of Thrones so I appreciated her vague confusion about the show. I really appreciate that they've made Emma and Birdbones friends and okay with Mark thing.  

• Love 3

I've never seen Game of Thrones either, nor have no interest. It's funny just what I've picked up from pop culture. There were a lot of fun little gags--the "red wedding" cake, the little dragon figures on the birthday girl's shoulders, the little sword chairs.

(edited)

I'll be honest, I hated the episode with the teen girl's bday. But mainly it was because I loathe mouthy, obnoxious teen girls who never get their comeuppance. I wanted to slap that girl silly for most of the episode.

I ADORED the season finale, though. The juxtaposition between Maggie and Emma's drag queen adventure and Mark and Dr. Hottie's crazy dinner was so fun and I cracked up several times throughout. This is such a great little show.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can deal with mouthy teens, but when you're insulting adults about their appearance, then that's that. I did love the GOT themed party, and that Birdbones knows a lot of pop culture and correcting Emma (it's actually blood). 

Sorry too, Maggie, but you were 100% in the wrong. The doctor *maybe* could have been more diplomatic in telling her that both of them had to work, but she was way way out of line. 

What was up with Maggie's voice in the finale? It was way hoarse.

The only thing that bothered me about the finale was that the trunk was open when they were changing the flat, so they could have knocked down the back seats. I also find it hard to believe that Emma didn't take her phone out of the car with her. I'm all for wackiness though. I just thought it was a lazy setup. 

Also, calling someone a "mangy queen" is the best insult. 

I actually liked the conversation with Mark and the doctor. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

The finale was the best episode of a rather meh season. What is the deal with this show? All the ads on On Demand are from over a year ago. Did they get the episodes in the can and then just sit on them for a year, only to burn them off 2 at a time in an undesirable time slot?  Things do not look good for Playing House and my guess is that Lennon and Jessica decided to go out in a blaze of wacked-out glory in the finale which was just ridiculous and fun.

We, too, wondered why not take advantage of the open trunk. For that matter, with late model cars it is damn near impossible to lock your keys inside.

In Ep 7, Maggie was so wrong and inappropriate that it was just strange.

I suppose she could have taken the keys out of the ignition and placed them on the dash or something, but that's all I've got. It doesn't stand to reason why'd they would lock the doors. 

(edited)
On 7/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, Jillybean said:

What is the deal with this show? All the ads on On Demand are from over a year ago.

Yes; It's a bit too late to see The Wall in theaters. And they were beating The Mummy to (another) death.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
On 7/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, Jillybean said:

Lennon and Jessica decided to go out in a blaze of wacked-out glory in the finale which was just ridiculous and fun.

It was totally outlandish, and I loved it.

The first episode, not so much.  I liked moments, and I'll get to those, but the two big storylines – Emma and Birdbones deal with the client from hell and Maggie goes on her first date with Clive  – annoyed me.

Re. the first, I just do not find funny, and thus do not enjoy, “comedic” storylines in which characters lower themselves to cater to some completely horrible character who has zero respect for people.  Fuck that girl; tell her to get lost. 

As to the second, Maggie was so completely out of line!  She didn't "request a simple favor," she just announced that she'd told the other nurse he could leave early, something she had no authority to do.  Then she was inappropriate in how she spoke to Clive about it when he confronted her, and batshit crazy in getting pissy about it.

The things I liked:

“Will she be coming too?” when Maggie asked Clive out.

Mark getting excited about carving meat and having a sword.

Mark's guac squawk.  Guacamole needs to sit a while to be at its best, so I have issues with table-side guacamole, but I loved his excitement.  And that looked like quite a presentation.  I love that Clive stayed to have it after Maggie left.

“I hate all the words you just said.”  I don’t watch GoT, either, so Emma's reactions were amusing me.

The moment between Emma and Birdbones, and later between them and Mark.  I love so many things about this show, and how they've handled that dynamic is near the top of the list.

Hm, that's a lot of liked moments for an episode whose storylines pissed me right off.  Yet another reason I love this show.

As for the finale (Finale?  Really, that's it?  For the season, and probably forever?  No!!!):

“Nobody needs a crimper.”

“I’ll straight-up Truvy that.”  Fabulous Steel Magnolias shout-out.  Then channeling Tina backstage when they offered to do Proud Mary.  Miss Congeniality 2 ripoff on stage a bit, but I don't care.

Who's the ice cream truck driver?  The first two seasons were so long ago, I can't place him even though he looks familiar.

Mark and Clive stuck having a culinary adventure at “Simon” was fun.  “It’s a bowl of dirt.”

“I don’t feel like they’re mine.”
“Did you pay for them?  Do you have the receipts?”

“I had to upgrade my data package” about Clive dealing with Emma's "Am I going to die?" texts during the wee hours.

Closing on "Your two mommas love you"?

I want more!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Who's the ice cream truck driver?  The first two seasons were so long ago, I can't place him even though he looks familiar.

He used to be a UPS driver that Maggie had an unhealthy gossip relationship with that she had to end. They made a quick reference to it in this episode. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ganesh said:
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

He used to be a UPS driver that Maggie had an unhealthy gossip relationship with that she had to end. They made a quick reference to it in this episode. 

The actor is Jack McBrayer, who played Kenneth the page on 30 Rock.

The first episode was okay.  Like most episodes.  But Maggie was being really inappropriate in thinking she had the authority to authorize time off for that other nurse.  I liked seeing that chubby black girl.  I remember her from Jessica and Lennon's previous, much shorter lived project.

The second episode was irritating and nearly unwatchable.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2017 at 0:44 PM, emma675 said:

I'll be honest, I hated the episode with the teen girl's bday. But mainly it was because I loathe mouthy, obnoxious teen girls who never get their comeuppance. I wanted to slap that girl silly for most of the episode.

God she was awful!  I really hated that episode, mainly because of her.  What were they thinking?  I didn't find it funny at all.

On 7/5/2017 at 9:32 PM, ganesh said:

I can deal with mouthy teens, but when you're insulting adults about their appearance, then that's that...

Sorry too, Maggie, but you were 100% in the wrong. The doctor *maybe* could have been more diplomatic in telling her that both of them had to work, but she was way way out of line.

That was the other thing that annoyed me about the first episode.  Maggie was ridiculous telling her friend he could leave early, as if that's her call.  And then acting all offended afterward and so childish on the date.  If I were the doctor I would have left the restaurant and had her switched to a different rotation at the hospital.  I don't see even a nice guy like that putting up with her behavior, especially so early on in a relationship.  I don't see him putting up with the craziness in the second episode either.

23 hours ago, Bastet said:

Re. the first, I just do not find funny, and thus do not enjoy, “comedic” storylines in which characters lower themselves to cater to some completely horrible character who has zero respect for people.  Fuck that girl; tell her to get lost. 

As to the second, Maggie was so completely out of line!  She didn't "request a simple favor," she just announced that she'd told the other nurse he could leave early, something she had no authority to do.  Then she was inappropriate in how she spoke to Clive about it when he confronted her, and batshit crazy in getting pissy about it.

The things I liked: 

...The moment between Emma and Birdbones, and later between them and Mark.  I love so many things about this show, and how they've handled that dynamic is near the top of the list.

I agree with the first part and I didn't find those things funny either.  The second part about Emma, Mark and Birdbones was just about the only thing I liked about these two episodes.

3 hours ago, Thrifty said:

The first episode was okay.  Like most episodes.  But Maggie was being really inappropriate in thinking she had the authority to authorize time off for that other nurse.

The second episode was irritating and nearly unwatchable.

Yeah, I really mostly hated both of these episodes.  I thought maybe I was just in such a bad mood from the first one, but honestly, the second was just so weird and bizarre, it really didn't work for me at all.  It felt like they had run out of ideas and just decided to be as outlandish and wacky as possible instead of writing a funny episode.  It was nice to see Mark and the doctor together, but the restaurant thing was way too silly to be believable and seemed really juvenile repeating 'semen' over and over again.

Such a disappointing end to a disappointing season.  And I had been so looking forward to it since last year.

7 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

It was nice to see Mark and the doctor together, but the restaurant thing was way too silly to be believable and seemed really juvenile repeating 'semen' over and over again.

The last one didn't even make sense.  For a while, it was juvenile but at least consistent.  The waiter (or maybe he was the chef?  Waiters aren't usually that snobby) kept getting upset when they pronounced his name as "Simon".  But in the last recurrence of the gag, he just blurted it out, apropos of nothing.  They didn't say his name, or make reference to him, or anything.

• Love 1

About the party - they're trying to get a business going, and if you're in the services industry you have to put up with a lot of crap.  I didn't like the client, but at least they got some great contacts out of the party.

I thought the drag queen part was funny, but I thought their costumes weren't over the top enough; they were like something *I* would come up with, but I'm not a drag queen! 

Nice callback to the UPS guy (Jack McBrayer); that's a fun character.

• Love 2

Another thought came to me.  Did anyone else think it was super rude that Maggie and Emma chose to keep their dates waiting while they participated in some stupid drag show and then some random mischief?

• Love 4
On 7/15/2017 at 1:32 AM, ganesh said:

Rod Rockamoore!  He could rock a brown short. 

• Love 1