Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Not Ready to Make Nice

Juliette has it out with Avery over Hallie's sound; Maddie learns the truth about the origins of the bullying on social media; Scarlett's pregnancy brings with it unexpected attention.

I can't stand Hallie or her music, I wish she was gone, and I am bored with Juliette's return to crazy, jealous Juliette, they've done this story before, can't they find something new for her?

I'm glad that the girl is gone, I hope she stays gone.

Scarlett is a moron.

• Love 2

Actually this episode was one of the better ones this season minus the Juliette going back to nasty Juliette. Shockingly, I wasn't annoyed by the girls this week. I actually felt sorry for them missing their mom and finally leaning on each other. 

• Love 8

A friend and I were talking about the show today and both of us are puzzled by how dark the filming has gotten. It's almost like no one in Nashville has paid their power bills and their electricity has been cut off.

C'mon, some of us fans are old and our eyes can't take all that dreary lack of light on the sets. Turn on some lamps for pete's sake.

• Love 2

I'm over Hallie too. She's all church girl sanctimonious, but she's going around bemoaning her 'breakup' with a married guy. Whatever. And what's with Juliette going, literally from one scene to the next, from calling her 'baby girl' and having her back to calling her out for being a scheming mantrap to her face in the next. Juliette is impulsive and erratic but she's too old and supposedly too smart to show her hand like that. Avery really IS a saint for dealing with her.

• Love 8
(edited)

Good riddance, Liv! I really hope we never see her again.

I liked the girls' storyline this week. I think Maddie should just start every conversation with an apology for being selfish. LOL But it was touchinig to see them make up. I also liked the scene where Daphne was going through Rayna's things and fell asleep in the closet and Deacon found her. It was a nice way to show what she's going through without involving runaways. I also liked Maddie crying in the car and Deacon looking at the flyer. They're all trying to move on and struggling.

I'm kind of meh about Scarlett and Gunnar, and how many eps is Will going to be written out of?! Geez. It's like he's not even a main character anymore.

Okay, last but not least, Juliette and Avery. WTH is going on with her! I kind of like Haillie. I love her voice. and I can sort of understand Juliette's jealousy. I don't think it's just romantic but career-related. Haillie has everything ahead of her and it's exciting. Juliette is stalled and trying to resurrect her career. That said, is she having a mental breakdown? Avery and Haillie? SeriouslY? She's too old and too tall for him.

Poor Avery trying to juggle Juliette's volatile temper and other people who are more reasonable. I don't see them headed for a breakup or anything, but I don't see him putting up with this either.

Edited by CrystalMoon
  • Love 1

I really liked this episode.  It felt more like a season one episode to me.  I laughed out loud a couple of times, there was plenty of moving moments and Juliette brings the crazy better than anyone.  I'm not sure why Juliette is so involved in Haillie's career.  But she has serious control issues that I'm hoping her therapist is trying to help.

When Maddie told Liv to get out of her house, I was wondering exactly how she was going to make that happen if Liv didn't go, then she came out with the "I'll call the police", which after the last two episodes is kind of ironic, but was a very effective way to boot Liv and one that I hadn't thought of.  Yay, Maddie!

As a parent I would have been mad that one of my kids was getting around the "No Phone" punishment like that, but at this point I guess Deacon was just glad they had made up.  And since Maddie was the wronged one, she was the one who got to decide to let Daphne off the hook.

I love all the Deacon/Scarlett scenes, and so was very impressed with Scarlett telling Deacon that the baby was a girl, and thought the line "Now don't you start" was true and realistic.  Pregnancy hormones are some powerful things and since Deacon tears up at the least thing, she knew they were both going to be bawling if they got started.

Oh, and that reporter was a manipulative bitch.

• Love 2

I'm not going to lie when Juliette started her freak out on Avery and Hallie I put the TV on mute. I just couldn't handle listening to crazy paranoid Juliette. 

I may be to only one but I want Deacon to get together with the Empire chick. Rayna/Connie is gone and Deacon need to move on. I don't care if it's only been 3 months I want him to be happy and have his own storyline. I dealing with childish behavior all the time.

So glad orphan Annie is gone hope it stays that way. We don't need secondary characters when you don't use the ones you have. (Will anyone.)

Scarlett "she knew I couldn't lie." Well you've been lying to Gunner for months. Don't know how the reporter made such a leap about the baby. 

The news about the Scarlett baby daddy would never be made national news. No one cares about to barely known country stars and their relationship. The fan site and the shipping I can believe because teenage girls and nuts with too much time on their hands. But I don't the S&G would get a mention on TMZ let alone entertainment tonight or whatever show that was. They just aren't famous enough. The only reason why they would make a big deal about the Maddie cop thing is because black lives matters is a hot button issue. Baby daddy drama is not. Do gas stations actually have TV's that play entertainment news networks. If there are TV at the gas pumps here they only have the special that the gas station is promoting. 

• Love 2

Actually yes, there are gas stations with TV's that show all kinds of programming, including entertainment programming.  You're probably right that an entertainment show probably wouldn't be featuring Scarlett and Gunnar, but, like every other TV show, we have to accept that things are all out of proportion to real life.  I mean, it's TV!

I was surprised at Juliette's jealousy, but then I forgot all about it when I saw her WASHING DISHES!!!  Does she not have a dishwasher?  LOL

I thought all the scenes with Deacon, Maddie and Daphne, showing the pain they're going through, were very well done and realistic.  Maddie crying about missing her mom and Daphne pulling out her jewelry and then falling asleep on her clothes are very much things grieving families go through.  And Deacon, at the end, having to go through all this without his love.  It just made me want to give him a hug.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

Poor Avery trying to juggle Juliette's volatile temper and other people who are more reasonable. I don't see them headed for a breakup or anything, but I don't see him putting up with this either.

From what the previews are hinting I think finally Avery's going to call Juliette out on her trust issues, and this time I'm pretty sure he's going to make it clear that this is her last chance with him: either she trusts him or this time it's really over between them. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, madhacker said:

From what the previews are hinting I think finally Avery's going to call Juliette out on her trust issues, and this time I'm pretty sure he's going to make it clear that this is her last chance with him: either she trusts him or this time it's really over between them. 

I think it's a fake out. It's probably him wanting to go on tour. He most miss playing his own music. But he does need to set some serious boundaries with Juliette.

• Love 4

I think it's about going on tour too (Avery talking to Juliette), but I hope he tells her how her trust issues are pushing him out the door.

Does anyone else think Haillie will ask for another producer, thus cementing Avery's track record of never finishing an album with someone.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

Juliette washing dishes didn't bother me. I have a lot of pots/pans and other things that aren't dishwasher safe, and it looked like she was washing things like that, not everyday dishes.

I didn't say it bothered me. It actually made me laugh. And maybe I'll go back and check, but it looked like she had a whole rack of wet dishes off to the side, so it didn't seem like just non-dishwasher safe dishes. But again, I wasn't bothered by it. Still surprised to see it though. 

• Love 3

I'm not sure if I prefer this oblivious version of Gunnar who has no spine and lets Scarlett walk all over him or not seeing him at all. Given that he had about two minutes of airtime, I guess I get the best of both worlds! And yes, I know fans of other characters (Will) have it worse in terms of screen time. But it still sucks.

I miss when the show had friendships instead of just couples. The Bros (Gunnar, Avery, and Will) are by far my favorite part of the show. I despise the new writers and show runners. I just got into Nashville. I caught up on 4 pretty good seasons that were fun and soapy and interesting (and with great music!) only to hit season 5 and be bitterly disappointed. What a shame.

• Love 2
(edited)

Datat Cat

15 minutes ago, Data Cat said:

I'm not sure if I prefer this oblivious version of Gunnar who has no spine and lets Scarlett walk all over him or not seeing him at all. Given that he had about two minutes of airtime, I guess I get the best of both worlds! And yes, I know fans of other characters (Will) have it worse in terms of screen time. But it still sucks.

I miss when the show had friendships instead of just couples. The Bros (Gunnar, Avery, and Will) are by far my favorite part of the show. I despise the new writers and show runners. I just got into Nashville. I caught up on 4 pretty good seasons that were fun and soapy and interesting (and with great music!) only to hit season 5 and be bitterly disappointed. What a shame.

Data Cat, I totally relate. At the end of last summer, I binge watched Seasons 1-4. I thought the writing went downhill at the end of Season 4, but I still enjoyed a lot of it. There were just a few storylines that I thought went off the rails (Cash, the Beverly, Maddie, Deacon's sponsor, wild-eyed Layla). But those seasons really did focus on the music. There was always someone on tour or performing at a small venue. Will was trying to write music, the Exes were on tour, Layla was trying to make an album and then went on tour with Avery as bandleader. Juliette obviously went on tour too by the end of the season.

In S5, though, it feels like the music secondary, and a lot of characters are ignored while others are given way too much screentime, imo. (Daphne and Maddie). Plus, at the start of S5, they completely undid Will's love for Kevin and Scarlett's revelation that she loved Gunnar, and they did it in the first couple of eps. They barely remember Glenn and Emily. Poor Noah has been dropped without a word. Deacon has seemingly given up on doing any music of his own. Isn't he a legendary guitar player? And now Juliette is going crazy again.

I haven't given up on the show entirely, but the contrast between this season and previous seasons, especially seasons 1-3, is pretty stark, imo.

Edited by CrystalMoon
  • Love 2

JMO, but I think the Stella sisters sound so much better together.  Lennon, on her own, just doesn't cut it for me.  Enjoyed the last song a lot. 

Well, they managed to make Gunnar sympathetic and Scarlett insufferable.  She doesn't want him and will hurt him again.  No doubt.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

Juliette washing dishes didn't bother me. I have a lot of pots/pans and other things that aren't dishwasher safe, and it looked like she was washing things like that, not everyday dishes.

I was wondering if we're learning something about how she takes out aggression through dish washing.  I remember when I first got an apartment with two friends, I somehow felt self conscious just relaxing for some reason.  So whenever there were dishes, instead of putting them in the dishwasher, I did them to give me something to do.  There's zen in it people.

I've loved Juliette's return to diva in the past few episodes but I hated it in this episode.  It felt like such a plot point instead of coming from somewhere good.  They didn't even bother to give Juliette a legitimate moment to misconstrue. 

I do hate to admit it but they have been better at writing Maddie and Daphne lately.  I still think Maddie would want the homeless girl gone, though.  Forgiving one's sister is one thing but living with some stranger...

I had to laugh at Scarlett worrying about people thinking she was a slut.  I think she needs to examine how she behaved with Gunnar.  I don't think she needs to be slut shamed but damn she should feel shame.

• Love 1
(edited)

Are you sitting down... I actually am not going to complain about this episode. I kinda loved it. (Sure, it might have been the wine, but I cried when the girls made up.) I can't even be mad at Juliette cuz she is who she is --and was watching the fabulous Bette Davis in "All About Eve"! And Avery was so good about calling her on her crazy. Even Scarlett was tolerable ...what is happening?!! 

Having said that, I'm sure I will go back to bitching next week! 

PS. Bonus points for not having Maddie go all emo about her boyfriend leaving town, and for possibly getting rid of the homeless moppet ...felt like there could be a storyline with the girls doing something to help homeless teens. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2

As a reporter myself, the whole story with the devious lying reporter made me crazy! Unless she is working for a TMZ or rag sheet, no reporter who scored a semi-big interview would make up lies and quotes which Scarlett didn't say. If you notice, a lot of these papers say they 'had a source' or 'heard a rumor", but actually interviewing someone and spreading lies could lead to slander lawsuits. On top of that, she would report to a editor and Scarlett and her manager could call the editor and threaten a lawsuit and/or being blackballed from interviews in the future. Of course Scarlett is annoying and I don't care about her future-but I hate to see Gunnar so sad.

Juliette is being her usual self and Saint Avery will have to get some balls soon. I liked the parts with the sisters and still have no idea why the Oliver Twist urchins are around and or what I'm supposed to take from their scenes. Want to see more of Deacon actually doing something.

• Love 7
(edited)

Do any of these characters actually sing country music?  It's all basicallly pop music now with a touch of gospel.

Edited by ch1
  • Love 4

I'm shocked at how much I liked the Maddie and Daphne's arc this week. I think its because the show finally showed the two of them mourning Rayna together, just the two of them. The Stella sisters really brought it in this episode and I'm admittedly NOT a fan of Maddie and Daphne having so much screen time but I didn't mind it at all this episode. It was a cathartic moment between the two of them on the bed in Daphne's room talking about how much they need each other and how much they miss Rayna. I teared up a bit. 

Charles E. is probably doing some of his best work of the entire series this season. That last scene of him checking in on the girls to see that they're doing better and on their way to being okay and then going into the living room, looking around and realizing that he's alone was very poignant. I think the next big hurdle for the Claybourne-Conrad clan is when Deacon starts dating again; which I'm very interested in seeing play out. 

All I have to say about Scarlett and Gunnar is WHY AM I BEING SUBJECTED TO THIS??

And I love Juliette with all of my heart, so it was such a disappointment to watch her go back to her ~old destructive ways again. I liked the return of diva!Juliette but not that aspect of her. Also, I think Juliette might be projecting a lot of her insecurities and fear of failure onto Hallie. And I also think that when she saw Hallie and Avery bond over making Hallie's music it might have reminded her of how she and Avery essentially fell in love. So I can see why she'd be a little rattled but lol after ALL they've been through, you'd think Juliette would trust Avery by now? 

But with all that being said, I don't completely trust Hallie either and I think there might to be some truth to what Juliette was saying. Hallie was having an affair with a married man, and that's something the show is kinda glossing over but we don't know the real details behind their relationship and how it started (unless I missed an episode) and I don't think that Hallie is pure as the driven snow. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hallie does try something with Avery, which he will obviously refuse. 

It'd be a way to give Juliette's fears some level of credence but also show that she had no reason to feel insecure where Avery's concerned. 

But I, like Juliette, could be totally wrong and Hallie is just an innocent wherein that case Juliette owes her a huge apology. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, stormborn said:

Charles E. is probably doing some of his best work of the entire series this season. That last scene of him checking in on the girls to see that they're doing better and on their way to being okay and then going into the living room, looking around and realizing that he's alone was very poignant. I think the next big hurdle for the Claybourne-Conrad clan is when Deacon starts dating again; which I'm very interested in seeing play out. 

I am also interested in watching this.  While I may not agree with some of the directions of the storylines, I don't think these writers are dumb.  They know they will have to approach Deacon's dating very cautiously.  They are showing him alone and under siege.  He's juggling work, where he doesn't have Bucky to have run interference anymore and teenage girls at home, where he doesn't have Rayna anymore. (I had teenage girls who were three years apart, if there was someway I could have sent them to boarding school, I would have).  The man needs someone to talk to.  My impression of the new songwriter is someone who burned her bridges the first time she worked in Nashville and is now having to work her way back into the good graces of the business.  Two lonely people, moving in the same circles, who need someone to talk out loud to.  Sounds like a country song to me.

6 hours ago, stormborn said:

But with all that being said, I don't completely trust Hallie either and I think there might to be some truth to what Juliette was saying. Hallie was having an affair with a married man, and that's something the show is kinda glossing over but we don't know the real details behind their relationship and how it started (unless I missed an episode) and I don't think that Hallie is pure as the driven snow. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hallie does try something with Avery, which he will obviously refuse. 

That is a really interesting point and something that I had not thought about.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, stormborn said:

That's what I thought! Mighty "Christian" of her

• Love 4

I don't understand how with all their money and the size of their home that you never see any "help" around. Not even s gardener or cleaning person much less a cook or person to do laundry etc.   I think they could definitely use some help in the kitchen and I guess we have to assume the other help is invisible. 

• Love 1

I just assume they have help, same with Juliette. There's no way Deacon or the girls clean that entire mansion. And can you imagine Juliette vacuuming or dusting? I can't even imagine Avery doing it. His old apartment wasn't exactly clean and tidy. All the help probably comes around when we're not watching. :)

10 hours ago, stormborn said:

I'd be ok with this. In real life it would be far too soon, probably, but in order for Nashville to move on and utilise one of its best assets it needs to happen.

• Love 1

Is anyone else done with Deacon?  Just me?

What was with that fake tan Scarlett was sporting in her first scene?

Avery is "literally" worried about Juliette.  As opposed to "theoretically" worried?

(From an old discussion, I too failed to recognize the staircase!)

• Love 1

Well, we got a few songs this week, so I already consider it an improvement on last week.

Oh my GOD Juliette, slow your rolls! Honestly, for awhile I thought that Juliette had actually become delusional due to her injuries or something, that's how out of left field her sudden jealousy of Hallie. In fact, its beyond just thinking she's flirting with her husband, she's cast Hallie as Eve in an All About Eve scenario! Maybe I'm just as pure and naïve as Avery, but I just don't see it. As Avery said, Juliet basically stalked her, and no way is she enough of the schemer that she saw a plane fall down, run to the wreckage, and find the one famous person, talk her into living through the power of belief, and than leave, assuming she would find her and give her a music career? What the hell Juliet? How much does poor Avery have to put up with at this point? If I was Juliet, I wouldn't run around screaming at him like a lunatic, I would tell him every single day what a good wonderful person he was, and how blessed I am to have him in my life. The guy has put up with a LOT from Juliette, and stuck with her through basically everything that a person could go through (only leaving when he was afraid for their daughter and throwing stuff at his head) with endless support and love, and the occasional sarcastic comment.

Also, I was totally with Avery and Deacon on the song. I like Hailie's folky sound, not that super generic pop sing Juliette was pushing.

I actually liked seeing Maddie and Daphne dealing with their moms death, and Deacons constant attempts to move on from Raina's death, while also struggling with suddenly being a single parent to two teenaged girls. Poor Deacon. He has all this family stuff, being supportive to Scarlett, AND running a failing company! Someone give this man a vacation!

I guess I feel bad for Scarlett, but she's just such a wet blanket, I cant care anymore. I have seriously never seen a more joyless person, who can take even having a baby with the man she loves amid much professional success, and still act miserable all the time. Is she still depressed? Honestly, I'm very concerned. Kind of. Gunnar can do so much better. You know, between Avery and Gunnar, I feel like this show thinks that a good relationship is between a rather unstable, unlikable woman with mother issues who treats her significant other like crap for no reason, and a man who can only try to make her happy, and fail miserably. Also, those video things at gas pumps are SO annoying. Is there anywhere I can go without Mario Lopez talking at me?

• Love 2
On 7/1/2017 at 5:39 PM, Brookside said:

Is anyone else done with Deacon?  Just me?

I'm curious, Brookside.  Why are you done with Deacon?

I admit that he is my favorite character, and due to that, I view his actions through rose-colored glasses.  For example, I have no problem with him starting a new relationship (even though it is ridiculously too early), because I want to see that storyline.  On the other hand, when Meredith on Grey's Anatomy began dating after Derrick died, I disliked Meredith even more, even though in show time it had been two years.  But on Grey's I had liked Derrick and had always thought Meredith, whiny and needy and selfish.  (Obviously, logic has nothing to do with how I view characters). 

(edited)

(Haven't watched Grey's Anatomy.)

I just find Deacon too passive (not even passive-aggressive), and his sad puppy dog eyes don't do it for me any more.  Without Rayna as an alpha antidote he's become boring to me. And he's really losing points in terms of his relationship with Daphne.

Edited by Brookside
spelling
(edited)

I liked Deacon still. A lot. I want him to have a better storyline, though. Being a parent is fine, but it's becoming boring. I want Deaon to have a storyline all his own that doesn't involve the girls.

Edited by CrystalMoon
  • Love 4

I can see that.  Daddy Deacon is my least favorite version of his character.  I like him playing and writing music, which are areas where he is more confidant.  A little surprised we haven't seen him go to meetings since Rayna's death or even mention an AA meeting as something he has to fit into his day.  While I am grateful they didn't give us a will he/won't he drink episode, I thought they would have touched on the fact that his alcoholism complicates the grieving process.  

Thanks for answering, I am intrigued by the different ways we viewers react to the same scenes and characters.  In the end, I'm still hooked on the sad puppy dog eyes.  (Great description of him, btw)

• Love 2

Yeah, the sad puppy dog eyes still have me completely roped in. I would also like to see more musical Deacon. Especially after that little pep talk Bucky gave him, I was hopeful we'd get more of that. But I actually am fine with pretty much anything he does, as long as he's on screen. I'm Team Deacon all the way!

• Love 4

Always been team Deacon, he's always been my favorite character,  while I liked Rayna a lot, loved the R/D relationship, to me, it was never OK, that she lied to Deacon for all those years, about Maddie, while still,keeping him in her life  

I would also,love to see more of the musical Deacon..A new relationship, that starts slowly, develops as a friendship, could be interesting  Yes realistically, its way too early, but, we're talking about a leading man, and TV time ?

Incidentally, I see nothing wrong with his relationship,with Daphne.  He's an inexperienced parent, now, he's a single parent to 2 teens! Yikes!!  He loves them both, and is trying hard ❤️

• Love 3

I love Deacon, he's always been a favorite (partly because I'm shallow and damn is he a fine looking man), but I hate Daddy Deacon, possibly because I am sick of Maddie and Daphne. I want more musician Deacon. I want more of Deacon trying to make the label work. I prefer him doing anything but hanging with Maddie and Daphne.

Juliette is my favorite, well, her and Avery, so I hate seeing her reverting back to Diva Juliette. I hope there is a reason behind it beyond them not knowing any other way to bring drama to the character.

• Love 6

I like the improved version of Juliette - looks like she's going back to the bratty version and headed towards a break-up with Avery. The new showrunners are taking the show in a new direction - I don't like the way they are writing several characters. Not sure I am hanging in much longer - fast becoming unrecognizable 

Finally got a chance to watch this episode. The Maddie/Daphne storyline was my favorite this week. I liked seeing how they're struggling to deal with Rayna's death. When Maddie said 'it comes in waves' she was speaking truth because I've noticed that's how it is after someone passes. You feel ok and then BOOM the grief and sadness hits you. I teared up when Deacon found Daphne asleep on the floor of the closet. I'm glad the girls realize how much they miss their mom, how much they mean to each other and that they made up.

Deacon is my favorite character and Charles E. has a lot to do with that. He has been killing it this season. I want to give him hugs.

Juliette, Juliette, Juliette...girlfriend needs to dial back the jealous, insecure craziness. Avery is a saint; I couldn't put up with that behavior.

I have no idea what to think about Scarlett and Gunnar. Scarlett is more likeable when she's interacting with Deacon; Gunnar is more likeable when he's interacting with Avery and Will. The two of them together is approaching nails on a chalkboard levels of annoying. I blame the writers for screwing up this relationship; too much BS and drama.

The first time I encountered one of those TVs at the gas station I jumped and nearly had a heart attack!

Will really is MIA the second half of this season.

Glad to see that Bucky hasn't been totally jettisoned from the show.

• Love 1