Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Local news and Sinclair Broadcast Group

• Start Topic

Other segments: Donald Trump's Twitter comments about Mika Brzezinski, Trump's travel ban, the Hall of Presidents wax museum in Gettysburg
Guests: Steve Schirripa, Campbell Scott, Anna Kendrick, Michael McKean, James Cromwell, and Laura Linney

I know! That was crazy! It's also amazing how badly the wax figures resemble the real people.

I loved the Warren movie. Special kudos to Anna Kendrick for flirting and kissing that... thing.

Contrary to what John said, I HAVE heard of Sinclair Broadcasting. However, I did not know about these segments that they require local news programs to broadcast. What can be done to counter this?

• Love 8

Typical LWT episode before the four week break . . . dig in on the president, show a New York weatherman acting weird, showcase a problem few people know about, give us new villains to watch out for, then go into a weird direction. And he bonds with his TDS buddies, and fools around with messed-up wax figures.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

5 presidents? that's HBO money y'all

HBO gave him money to buy 5 wax presidents, film a trailer for a movie starring one of those wax presidents (and it was full on cinematic), and hired Anna Kendrick, James Cromwell, Campbell Scott, Michael McKean, and Laura fucking Linney.  Does Coal Guy really think he's going to be able to push around Oliver and HBO?

I knew about Sinclair Broadcasting, of course, that's because I'm a wrestling fan and they own Ring Of Honor.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

Does Coal Guy really think he's going to be able to push around Oliver and HBO?

Murray: See you in court, dickhead!

Oliver: Dracaris!

• Love 7

I'm really curious as to how LWT gets actors to do this. I mean, what is that phone call like. "Hey  Laura Linney/Anna Kendrick/ James Cromwell/Campbell Scott, we're doing a fake movie trailer about a Warren G Harding biopic using a life sized wax figure, which you will be acting opposite... interested?"

Laura/Anna/James/Campbell: uhhh.... sure!

• Love 4

My best guess? Back in the halcyon days of The Daily Show, John was put into service as the unofficial butler. Today, he's cashing in the favors. Or maybe those actors are big fans of his.

• Love 2

I'm really curious as to how LWT gets actors to do this. I mean, what is that phone call like. "Hey  Laura Linney/Anna Kendrick/ James Cromwell/Campbell Scott, we're doing a fake movie trailer about a Warren G Harding biopic using a life sized wax figure, which you will be acting opposite... interested?"

I have to think they are all big fans of the show. That's what so interesting about these actors they get for bits like this. It says a lot about them that they're willing to do this.

• Love 8

Linney also played FDR's mistress in Hyde Park on Hudson; maybe it's a thing for her!

I saw that Sinclair Boris dude interviewed by Chris Hayes back when they hired him. He's that particular stripe of evil, in case you had any doubt.

• Love 2

OMG "Harding" was freaking hilarious. Cry laughing.

Sinclair Media seems like something right out of a 1984-esque dystopian work. Wow. 

I love that John fully acknowledges the buckets of money HBO must be funneling his way for these bits. Just fantastic.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Contrary to what John said, I HAVE heard of Sinclair Broadcasting. However, I did not know about these segments that they require local news programs to broadcast.

Me too. Although I don't find some old dude griping about kids to "grow up" to be that controversial, but the other stuff is just not factual and misleading. I suppose enough stations could band together for a class action lawsuit. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Me too. Although I don't find some old dude griping about kids to "grow up" to be that controversial, but the other stuff is just not factual and misleading.

It's the local news, people should have to put up with some local old dude's griping.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I don't find some old dude griping about kids to "grow up" to be that controversial

His use of  'snowflake' and 'social justice warrior' in his diatribe puts him squarely in the wingnut pantheon, however. Why these armchair commandos have such a grudge against people who fight for their rights? Probably pernicious. But yeah, old men have been griping about 'kids today' since recorded history. And probably before, but we don't have the records. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, attica said:

His use of  'snowflake' and 'social justice warrior' in his diatribe puts him squarely in the wingnut pantheon, however. Why these armchair commandos have such a grudge against people who fight for their rights? Probably pernicious. But yeah, old men have been griping about 'kids today' since recorded history. And probably before, but we don't have the records. 

And at least those segments are labeled as commentary.  It's the other shit, like the daily terrorism report, masquerading as news that is the most dangerously insidious.

4 hours ago, attica said:

I saw that Sinclair Boris dude interviewed by Chris Hayes back when they hired him. He's that particular stripe of evil, in case you had any doubt.

Boris was a frequent flack on the talk circuit during the campaign.  Nobody ever seemed to get him off-message, so I was glad when he disappeared for a while post-election.  Hoped he was gone for good and then he started rearing his ugly head again after being hired by Sinclair.

• Love 3

And now another example of GOP money being spent in seemingly innocuous ways that ends up having a good chance of significant influence over low info voters.  The Dems get outplayed so much, it's not even funny.  It's great to have John around to point out these things, since most of us, even smart voters, wouldn't know about it.

• Love 4

I wonder who got Washington, Lincoln, TR, FDR, etc.   I bet they were as "realistic" as Harding.  It didn't even look like they got the dark thick eyebrows of Harding, his most noticeable feature.  I bet the actors do it because they're fans of the show, plus it's a hoot.

Several media news sites have been reporting about Sinclair, and their decided bias on news or fake news stories.  Not sure how it plays in this area as the metro area itself if blue, while the rural areas red.  I don't watch the news really except in the morning, and I've not seen those segments in the morning on the local Sinclair station.  I've seen the commentary maybe once, years ago, which I turned off, partly because of his arrogant delivery. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Years ago Laura Linney played the president's mistress in Dave and now she's come full circle  playing the First Lady being cheated on!

9 hours ago, attica said:

Linney also played FDR's mistress in Hyde Park on Hudson; maybe it's a thing for her!

She was also Abigail Adams in HBO's John Adams, but John didn't cheat on her, as far as we know.

• Love 3

Via tvnewscheck.com comes word that Sinclair Broadcast Group, the nationwide conservative behemoth, has today received final approval from the Federal Communications Commission to purchase seven local television stations owned by Bonten Media — including our own KAEF-TV, home of “North Coast News.”

Right-Wing Sinclair Broadcast Group Completes Takeover of Local ABC Affiliate Just Hours After John Oliver Makes Fun of It

• Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 11:05 AM, sacrebleu said:

Laura/Anna/James/Campbell: uhhh.... sure!

On 7/3/2017 at 0:06 PM, iMonrey said:

I have to think they are all big fans of the show. That's what so interesting about these actors they get for bits like this. It says a lot about them that they're willing to do this.

My guess is that it's a combination of the bits being great fun to do, liking the show, getting exposure on a show that's a critical darling with a lot of buzz, and that it's HBO asking which just about everyone in the industry wants to be on good terms with. Basically a lot of upside with no real downside.

• Love 3

The local station I have watched since infancy was scooped up by Sinclair many years ago, but they must run those horrific must-air segments in the morning because I've never seen them at night (Syracuse is one John mentioned about that slavery segment, but I don't recall it).  And the guys at the anchor desk seem pretty left to me so maybe they don't bow down to their corporate overlord.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, attica said:

I'm sure it was a quick gig, too. Not much time needed for retakes-- it's not like Warren was going to fuck up his lines or miss his mark!

I don't know why you are so certain he was easy to work with. IMHO his performance was very stiff...

• Love 21

What's concerning is that even if now Sinclair owned stations are able to bury their 'ordered' programming at low viewer hours, they have the ability to push it more when they want or need to.

• Love 1
(edited)

Imdb is listing this appearance in their filmographies for the actors. Linney's adds the parenthetical that she's credited as "Laura Fucking Linney." Snerk!

Edited by attica
  • Love 13

And at least those segments are labeled as commentary.  It's the other shit, like the daily terrorism report, masquerading as news that is the most dangerously insidious.

Agreed. I don't think it can be overstated how insidious it is to run a story on what Muslim women are wearing to the beach in France and labeling it a "terrorist report." That's just beyond the pale and I would hope someone out there watching that broadcast on their local channel would call the station and raise holy hell. And even as I say that, stations are making it more and more difficult to do that very thing - I tried calling one of my local stations very recently and found it nearly impossible to even find a phone number for them let alone get a real person on the phone.

• Love 5
(edited)

The Federal Communications Commission on Friday quietly approved the transfer of seven major television station licenses owned by Bluestone Television/Bonten Media to Sinclair Broadcast Group -- without informing the agency's sole Democratic commissioner, Mignon Clyburn. Current FCC boss Ajit Pai spent a lot of time complaining about transparency at the FCC when he was a regular commissioner under former FCC boss Tom Wheeler. Yet much like his professed dedication to bridging the digital divide, this dedication to transparency appears to only be skin deep.

Clyburn stated on Twitter that the FCC appears to have tried to bury the news of the approval ahead of the July 4 weekend, and didn't even inform her of the decision. She wound up learning about the decision from her own agency via news reports.

FCC Boss Tries to Hide His Latest Gift to Sinclair Broadcasting

ETA:

Ever since Sinclair pushed its stations to air a 45-minute documentary calling into question then-Democratic Presidential nominee John Kerry’s service in Vietnam, the broadcast corporation has been pegged, at best, as right-leaning and, at worst, as propaganda.

That reputation was reinforced after reports that Sinclair had collaborated with Jared Kushner and the Trump administration for positive coverage during the 2016 presidential campaign. And, as John Oliver pointed out, some of the “must-run” segments, like the ones from the “Terrorism Desk,” mirror the talking points of politicians on the right.

Even before the Livingston “fake news” story, Sinclair’s management style was a concern for local news employees who regarded it as overly top-down. Shortly after Sinclair acquired KOMO in 2013, 10 KOMO employees were laid off as part of a national cutback.

John Oliver’s Sinclair rant: There’s more to the story

In 2014, WBFF misleadingly edited and aired video of a protest march to make it look and sound as if protesters were chanting “Kill a cop!”

But what the marchers had actually been chanting in response to Tawanda Jones, a Baltimore woman and protest leader whose brother had died while in police custody in 2013, was, “We won’t stop. We can’t stop till killer cops are in cell blocks.”

That was only five months before the unrest following the death in Baltimore of Freddie Gray while he was in police custody — a time of heightened police-community tensions locally and nationwide.

There was instant community outrage to the video. Sinclair apologized and fired two staffers.

Sinclair Broadcast Group is finding out how harsh the national spotlight can be

Critics of the deal have argued it might harm the public by significantly consolidating the local news media market, where both Sinclair and Tribune have large holdings. In its public notice, the FCC said the merger would slightly exceed the 39 percent national audience reach limit.

The companies, however, have told the FCC that they “will take such actions to the extent required to comply with the terms of the Merger Agreement and the national television ownership limit (including the UHF Discount), in order to obtain FCC approval of the Transaction.”

Some skeptics are not convinced though. During a segment of his HBO show, Last Week Tonight, John Oliver said the deal would put Sinclair's local TV channels in 72 percent of American households.

The FCC hasn’t given an explicit indication of how it will handle the merger yet, but FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has given Sinclair reason to be optimistic. He plans to raise the media ownership limit and has restored the UHF discount, which only counts 50 percent of a UHF station's audience reach toward a broadcaster’s 39 percent cap on ownership.

Late last month, Pai also approved of Sinclair’s acquisition of Bonten Media Group, further expanding the company’s station holdings.

FCC opens docket on Sinclair merger with Tribune

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 2

"While we appreciate John Oliver's unique brand of humor, we stand by our approach to sharing content among our stations to supplement the excellent work our newsroom staffs do every day in service to their communities," Sinclair said in a statement.

The Smith family, which has owned the Maryland-based Sinclair since its founding in 1971, is known for its conservative views.

Last month, POLITICO reported that Frederick G. Smith, vice president and director of Sinclair Broadcasting, sent a contribution to Montana's Republican representative Greg Gianforte on the day after Gianforte was charged with assault for putting a "body slam" on a reporter for The Guardian.

Sinclair increases 'must-run' Boris Epshteyn segments