Type keyword(s) to search

Boy Band - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, adhoc said:

I have to say I agree that Sergio and Drew were indeed the standouts in their band. I did not remember Drew from previous eps, TBH, but he was quite charming tonight, as well as having a nice voice.  Perhaps soft pop/easy listening is his wheelhouse?

That was me the last episode. I was like who is this really charming kid with a nice voice? I'm glad people have started noticing Drew.

I also always like Brady because unlike the rest of the boys, he is always on pitch and delivers the song well. They definitely need him in the band.

Could do without J-Hype or some of the other weaker vocal boys. It makes me cringe to hear them sing.

My problem with Brady being selected, as I stated in a previous post, is that he's really young (15-ish) and seems--seems--so gosh darned nice. (Of course, I could be wrong and that could just be a facade.)  I would be concerned that he would pick up some bad habits from other band members (wine, wenching, drugs, take your pick).  Just my opinion.

• Love 1

I've just been catching up with this show.  So far, just based on voices and presence, I really like Jaden, Marcus, Drew, and Brady.  I have a feeling, though, that Jaden is just TOO good to blend into a boy band--he needs to go solo.  Chance has gotten a lot of coverage, so I have a feeling he'll make it, even though he doesn't have the strongest voice.   I also think they'll end up choosing one of J-Hype or Michael Conor, to add an "edgy" (hah) beatboxer/rapper (/violinist).

• Love 1

What the show isn't saying at all is that a good band needs singers that sing different parts (falsetto, baritone, etc.).  Brady and Drew both sing the high parts, so I imagine only one of the two would make the group even though they're both good.  I haven't heard anyone but Marcus sing low parts (but per my earlier post, horrible audio quality, so I really have no idea).

Jaden is still my favorite. Chance is pretty but I could do without him, in favor of someone with a better voice. 

Rita Ora. Not really familiar with her work (though I've heard of her), but she does not impress me. Cat Deeley, she ain't. 

I can live without Chance too (and Rita), but he seems to be the chosen one.  I'm still on the Jaden bandwagon, so I hope you're wrong, alrightokay. Let him make the band and then go solo :)  

Weird, I feel like I'm watching a different show sometimes. In the first band, I thought Michael Connor was awful (light blue denim jacket?). Did not connect with the audience. But one of the judges thought he was amazing. So much praise was lavished on band members who I thought were so-so.

I'm with you, adhoc! I never agree with the jidges...I mean architects (gah).  

Sure this show is ostensibly about talent, but ultimately, whatever this band puts out is going to be heavily over-produced and auto-tuned, so the producers want 5 cute boys that hit all the "types" for the tweens who will be their target audience. I think Chance is gorgeous but not the best singer. Still, I think he will go far, if not all the way. Brady is talented and the audience loves him, so he'll be around. And Mikey (I think that's his name) looked like a very cute lesbian in his suit, so his non-threatening sexuality will make him go far as well. 

I'm watching, but don't have any hope that the outcome will be anything more than 5 pretty, somewhat talented boys who are chosen not based on overall talent. Although I do agree that chemistry is very important here.

And I knew J-Hype (really?) was safe because he is a cute white boy with an "edge". Even though he should totally have gone home.

And as I read what I wrote, I realize I am analyzing this summer filler show way more than I need to...

• Love 1

Jaden is too talented to be in a boyband. He should be on the Voice instead. They lowered the age limit and all. To be real, I don't think he fits well in the boy band either. In this latest performance, I thought his runs in the song kind of ruined the other boys' harmonies. Speaking of Brian Littrell, that man was a genius at doing runs in songs without distracting from the background harmonies. I guess that is a talent as well. 

Chance is weak vocally but he is very pretty and can dance, so I am not mad at him making the band. 

• Love 2

Remove all of the pregnant pauses, posturing, and silly "behind the scenes" antics, and this really could be a 30-minute show, couldn't it?

"The boy who is leaving tonight is..." --put the hand with the mic down, stand there for a few seconds waiting for a signal to resume, then bring hand with mic back up slowly, then open the card with the boy's name on it, then wait another few seconds-- "The boy who is leaving tonight is..."--crickets chirp--"Andrew Butcher".

So, is it written into Rita Ora's contract that she is the star of the show? Because she certainly seems to act like she thinks she is.

And does her contract also require that her breasts be minimally covered? There's cleavage, and then there's trampy. Ora is solidly in the latter camp, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, adhoc said:

Remove all of the pregnant pauses, posturing, and silly "behind the scenes" antics, and this really could be a 30-minute show, couldn't it?

Truer words. They are struggling to fill the hour. Maybe, I dunno, show more rehearsal and singing footage? 

I picked out who was going home in the first ten minutes.

These arrangements and obvious direction of the future boy band don't "mesh well" with certain vocal styling. Which frustrates me because why bring them this far if you aren't going to select songs that suit their voices? I don't understand or feel excited about most of the songs they're singing either. 

• Love 1

There are so many unnecessary fillers on this show. I don't even watch live so I can fast forward, but the filler is too much.  Let us get to know the boys better.  Show the girls who they are voting for and what their actual personalities are. Just stop with the pausing and the judge filler. 

I knew Cam and Andrew Butcher were toast when they said they were eliminating two tonight. Everyone knew it, Mikey even plopped down criss-cross applesauce on the stage. 

Did anyone else catch the boys all in tears during the end credits?! There wasn't a dry eye there.  Rita was even consoling Brady at one point.  It worries me because they're all so deeply invested in this and each other, to the point of hysteria when they get through another week. This process is going to screw so many of them up. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, BoffoDaWonderSheep said:

During the end credits, Devin was initially goofing around and mugging, but then got serious when he saw everyone weeping.

I saw that too--not a good look.

My favorite right now is Drew--he's got a great voice, an easy confidence on stage, and a warm, supportive attitude.  He helps to elevate every group he's in, whereas Jaden, who still has the strongest voice overall, tends to dominate and thus overshadow his teammates.  

Looks like the show is trying to prop up Michael Conor and downplay J-Hype, who didn't get a solo in the opening "Earned It" number.  Definitely, out of the two of them, Michael's stronger, but he's still really stiff/awkward on stage.  

I apologize for missing the explanation if it's already been given, but has the show clarified how the final five will ultimately be chosen?  For instance, will they keep shuffling up the groups until we get down to two groups of 3, and then have the judges pick the bottom 2 singers for the audience to vote on?  In that scenario, the judges have a lot of power to shape the group and can at least try to keep the stronger singers safe the whole time.  Or will it end up being a straight vote, where, once we get down to, say, the final 8, the audience simply votes and the top 5 vote-getters win? 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, alrightokay said:

I apologize for missing the explanation if it's already been given, but has the show clarified how the final five will ultimately be chosen?  For instance, will they keep shuffling up the groups until we get down to two groups of 3, and then have the judges pick the bottom 2 singers for the audience to vote on?  In that scenario, the judges have a lot of power to shape the group and can at least try to keep the stronger singers safe the whole time.  Or will it end up being a straight vote, where, once we get down to, say, the final 8, the audience simply votes and the top 5 vote-getters win? 

I don't think they've said how it will play out. A possible problem with the first scenario is that we'll always know who was the "weakest" member of the group.

21 minutes ago, BoffoDaWonderSheep said:

I don't think they've said how it will play out. A possible problem with the first scenario is that we'll always know who was the "weakest" member of the group.

Thanks for the reply.  Right, whoever ends up getting saved in the final vote will always be seen as "barely" making it.  My worry about the other method is that we'll end up with a group like Chance, Devin, J-Hype, Michael, and Mikey, who all seem really popular but aren't the most pleasing to listen to (though, I guess a lot of their issues could be fixed in the studio).  So for now, hopefully the judges will keep putting Mikey and J-Hype up for elimination, in order to whittle things down until we only have strong singers left when it comes time to choose the final five.

I agree that Jaden needs to be on The Voice (or American Idol 2.0?).  He may just be 16 (wow, really?), but he's way too good a singer for this, IMHO.

Have any of the judges coaches architects ever clearly described what the vision is for *this* boy band? What is going to make it so special?

Or, are we looking for some sort of GBB (Generic Boy Band) that will be just a memory once summer winds down? Now that I think of it, whatever did happen to O-Town?

I think they kind of wing the judging method. As TPTB solidify who they want to have in the band, I imagine they'll tweak the teams and the judging method to help ensure they get the outcome they want, or as close to it as possible. Does not look like they spend much time coaching the boys, based on all the filler we're seeing. JMO.

Oh, and I don't get the Michael Connor love. He just stares straight ahead when singing; I don't find that compelling at all.

• Love 1

Another problem with constantly reshuffling til a final five is the group's sound. What about chemistry? What combination actually works best? They take turns singing lines, what about harmonies? We haven't really had the opportunity to hear whose voice works well with someone else's. Isn't that the point? Shouldn't we be picking from the tenors and basses and baritones? Sure, he's great but can we have a group where everyone sings the same range? If we're just building the group on popularity that seems inevitable. Maybe I'm thinking too much about a reality show. I've been out of the boy band game a long time. I just remember when the ability to sing a cappella and show off harmonies "at the drop of a dime" was crucial to proving the group was the real deal. This feels...superficial? Practicing poses for your character? NappyTabs teaching choreography for looking into camera? Sigh. I am definitely thinking too much about a reality show. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, adhoc said:

Now that I think of it, whatever did happen to O-Town?

They played the Fox News Morning Show a few weeks ago. Do what you will with that.

9 hours ago, alrightokay said:

He helps to elevate every group he's in, whereas Jaden, who still has the strongest voice overall, tends to dominate and thus overshadow his teammates.  

Yep, I totally agree. Jaden is too good to be in a boy band. Why did he even audition for this instead of The Voice. The coaches would go crazy with the OMG!ONLY 16! commentary over there. And I don't enjoy Jaden in a group setting. It really became all about him.

Drew is a good lead and also support for the boy band. He doesn't have a very strong voice that fits the vibe of Boy Band perfectly. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, adhoc said:

Now that I think of it, whatever did happen to O-Town?

They broke up in 2004, regrouped in 2014 without Ashley Angel, released an album, did a few tours, I may or may not have gone to 7 of those shows, they did a kickstarter for another album that was funded in something stupid like five hours by fans, and now they're touring/have released some more songs. 

I'll see myself out. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 5
On 7/24/2017 at 8:46 AM, xander874 said:

heavily over-produced and auto-tuned

Sadly, that describes the majority of today's 'musical celebrities'.  The term 'singers' no longer really applies. 

I'm kind of enjoying this summer show, although I'm not expecting much after it ends.  The TPTB will cobble together a group that ticks off all the boxes (heart-throb, sensitive, etc.) and give it a shot.  Basically it seems like more of a showcase to see what talent is out there and hopefully some of the better vocalists will get heard and seen by anyone in the music biz who could give them a leg up.  It might be more beneficial to not make the final cut, but just get your name, face and voice out there.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Sadly, that describes the majority of today's 'musical celebrities'.  The term 'singers' no longer really applies. 

I'm kind of enjoying this summer show, although I'm not expecting much after it ends.  The TPTB will cobble together a group that ticks off all the boxes (heart-throb, sensitive, etc.) and give it a shot.  Basically it seems like more of a showcase to see what talent is out there and hopefully some of the better vocalists will get heard and seen by anyone in the music biz who could give them a leg up.  It might be more beneficial to not make the final cut, but just get your name, face and voice out there.

Right, for contestants like Jaden, who really has a chance at a solo career, the goal is to last as long as possible to get exposure, and then not make the final 5.  I have a feeling that's the strategy for people like Andrew Bloom, who doesn't seem to be a favorite on the show and doesn't really fit the boy-band "image" but has a solid voice.  

16 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

They broke up in 2004, regrouped in 2014 without Ashley Angel, released an album, did a few tours, I may or may not have gone to 7 of those shows, they did a kickstarter for another album that was funded in something stupid like five hours by fans, and now they're touring/have released some more songs. 

I'll see myself out. 

:) No judgment on my part; I just saw the Backstreet Boys (including Architect Nick!) in Vegas last month!

23 hours ago, Lyinfait said:

Another problem with constantly reshuffling til a final five is the group's sound. What about chemistry? What combination actually works best? They take turns singing lines, what about harmonies? We haven't really had the opportunity to hear whose voice works well with someone else's. Isn't that the point? Shouldn't we be picking from the tenors and basses and baritones? Sure, he's great but can we have a group where everyone sings the same range? If we're just building the group on popularity that seems inevitable. Maybe I'm thinking too much about a reality show. I've been out of the boy band game a long time. I just remember when the ability to sing a cappella and show off harmonies "at the drop of a dime" was crucial to proving the group was the real deal. This feels...superficial? Practicing poses for your character? NappyTabs teaching choreography for looking into camera? Sigh. I am definitely thinking too much about a reality show. 

Good point on the "sound" of the band being an afterthought.  Cam was the only baritone (I think), and he's already been eliminated.  To see who the producers might want to win, it'll be interesting to watch who gets put into groups with Chance, who's definitely going to make it.  I noticed in the "Earned It" number that they put Chance in the very middle and Drew and Jaden on either side of him.  As you moved out from the center of the stage, you got the less and less "chosen" singers, with Andrew Bloom and Andrew Butcher on the very edges (and J-Hype in the very back).

• Love 2
4 hours ago, alrightokay said:

To see who the producers might want to win, it'll be interesting to watch who gets put into groups with Chance, who's definitely going to make it.  I noticed in the "Earned It" number that they put Chance in the very middle and Drew and Jaden on either side of him.  As you moved out from the center of the stage, you got the less and less "chosen" singers, with Andrew Bloom and Andrew Butcher on the very edges (and J-Hype in the very back).

"J-Hype in the very back", that is hilarious! He would be in the very back. I didn't notice placement but your observation seems dead on. I will have to pay better attention to who they place with Chance. He is definitely a chosen one, though I personally like him a bit less each time they rave over him. I'd add Brady and possible Sergio to the chosen ones group as well. Drew seems to be a dark horse. I'm unsure about Jayden being a chosen one. His talent is undeniable but he's got such a big voice compared to the others that I don't know if it fits the group they seem to have planned. Maybe it does, I need more harmonies and better sound production! I truly wish we could mix up voices and parts and decide for ourselves which group sounds best. Fantasy Boy Band? It would be fun  (for me) and more interactive.

My ears don't understand how they decide which group is in the bottom anyway. Seems like, we want to get rid of ______ so his group had the weakest group performance. 

23 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I'll see myself out. 

No, no, please stay! ...and come sit next to me ;)

The problem with this show is that a lot of the people watching it are teenage girls who look and vote on who's the cutest and not who is the best singer. I not saying that it's everyone watching but, it's from what I've seen. Imo Mikey and J-Hype should be out because I consider Mikey to be a weak vocalist and J-Hype can beatbox but, he's not a very good singer (again imo) but, that's not happening because the voters think that the guys are cute therefore saving them. The architects are going to have to put up someone who can beat them out. I liked Andrew Butcher and I feel he should've stayed longer but, like I said he probably just wasn't cute enough. I'm not a teenage girl and I'm probably not this shows demographic but, it's a fun summer show to get sucked into.

• Love 2
(edited)

) No judgment on my part; I just saw the Backstreet Boys (including Architect Nick!) in Vegas last month!

Me too! I also just heard O-Town hosting on SiriusXM last night. 

I want to enjoy this show, because I do like a fun boyband, but the sound is so terrible during performances, I have no idea who's really good or not for the most part. When the judges...I mean architects were praising them, I just wonder if they can even hear over the screams of the audience; because what I hear is a hot mess.

And I liked Andrew Butcher, but they were right that he would fit right in as a country singer, appearance-wise anyway.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 1

I forget how young these contestants are until I see "15" or "16" stated below their names and see them crying when their new found friends are eliminated. I think they are doing well for their age, learning new choreography, song, harmonies every week with different team mates. 

I like Mikey and don't wish to see him go but he can't win against the other pretty boys with sweet high voices like Drew, Sergio and Chance. I hope the next boys going home will be J-Hype, Devin, and Andrew Bloom in that order.

A couple more tidbits:

I never thought I'd read about this show in The New Yorker, but here we are.  In the final paragraph, the writer raises some sobering questions about the race/class differences between the boys.

And here's a YT talk show that recaps every episode (I don't agree with some of their assessments--for instance, they love Devin, while I find him cringe-inducing--but it's interesting to read the comments to see who the possible voters like).  At the end of the latest video, they provide spoilers for the songs for this week.

Edited by alrightokay

Sigh…this show.  It makes me wish I was 17 again.  Wait, make that 14.  When I was 17, I had no time for boy bands, although I could always make time for cute boys, and this show sure has plenty of those.

I think J-Hype and Mikey are the last of the chaff.  J-Hype can’t sing and Mikey seems like a sweet kid but he’s out of his league here…there’s a reason he’s consistently in the bottom, and I think (hope) he and J-Hype (seriously – does this kid have a real name?) will be the next two to go home. 

Jaden and Andrew Bloom are, IMO, both very talented, and neither should be on this show.  Jaden is just way too good to be in a boy band and overshadows the members of every group he’s in.  Andrew Bloom is not a pop singer.  I love his voice and style, but he needs to be standing on a stage, just him and his guitar, or fronting a band, but not singing and dancing as part of a “boy band”.

So, on to the band.  I think Chance and Devin are shoo-in’s (it’s been driving me crazy who Devin reminds me of and I finally realize that it’s Zack Morris from Saved by the Bell, maybe mixed with a Labrador puppy).  Drew seems to be picking up steam, and I like him because he’s an admitted Mama’s boy, among other things.  My picks for the other two would be Marcus (killer voice and great role model) and Michael Conor (what boy band doesn’t need a rapping violist?).  Brady has a great voice, although I prefer his operatic voice, but he looks so angelic the mom in me would be constantly worried this business would chew him up and spit him out under a tree with a bottle of wine.  As for Sergio, I know this is shallow as hell, and I do enjoy his voice, but his highwaters annoy me. 

(As an aside, I just realized 3 out of my chosen 5 were in the group that did Livin’ on a Prayer – my go-to Karaoke song which always brings the house down if I do say so myself.  And it’s 4 out of my favorite 6 if I include Andrew Bloom. That probably says more about me than anything else, though.)

I expect the final five to be Chance, Jaden, Devin, Drew, and either Michael Conor or Brady.  Keep in mind, though, I have no idea what the kids are listening to these days, so I could be way off base. 

I am way (WAY) out of this show’s demographic, but I’ve been enjoying it.  I’ve been enjoying everything about it, including the judges…excuse me…the architects, Rita and her goofiness, and even Tim, who I think can have his asshole moments, but knows his stuff and genuinely wants to help these kids improve.  I will probably never buy any of their final product, but I might keep an eye out for Andrew Bloom’s solo work if he ever puts anything out.

• Love 3

Rita and her goofiness,

Yeah, I am actually enjoying Rita Ora in this. I knew of her and am not really familiar with her music, but I think she is a pretty good host and seems to having a good time, which is perfect for this fluff.

• Love 2

Space for discussing spoilers for assigned groups and songs as well as speculation.  (I've created this separate thread so that people who don't want to see the spoilers won't have to deal with them in the all-episode thread.)  SO READ NO FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS!

Edited by alrightokay

AfterBuzz revealed the three songs for this week:

"Without You" by David Guetta and Usher

"Jealous" by Nick Jonas

"Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson  (This one is a head-scratcher; the chorus is so high-pitched.  Hard to see this one going well.)

Updated: The groups and songs

1. Chance, Devin, Drew--"Without You"

2. Jaden, Brady, Andrew, Michael--"Since U Been Gone"

3.  Mikey, Sergio, JHype, Marcus--"Jealous"

Thoughts? Predictions?

Edited by alrightokay
6 hours ago, thehepburn said:

Is it still 2 leaving this week? If so, bye Andrew and Drew!

Anyone else finding Afterbuzz adultation of Creepy Tim unbearable?

Oh, I hope Drew doesn't leave; he's been consistently good and he could really help shore up the vocals in the eventual band.  I'm hoping they'll put up Devin, Andrew, and Mikey/JHype for elimination.  Putting up someone as popular as Devin is the only way to get Mikey or JHype out.  

What I'd love to see this week: more difficult dancing.  The best boy bands can really dance, and so far, the dancing on the show hasn't been that dazzling (maybe because most of the song choices haven't been conducive to dancing).  It'll be hard to do intricate choreography to "Since U Been Gone," but the other two songs lend themselves to some good dance breakdowns.  I also hope that eventually the groups are required to sing a cappella.

Edited by alrightokay
21 hours ago, alrightokay said:

Oh, I hope Drew doesn't leave; he's been consistently good and he could really help shore up the vocals in the eventual band.  I'm hoping they'll put up Devin, Andrew, and Mikey/JHype for elimination.  Putting up someone as popular as Devin is the only way to get Mikey or JHype out.  

What I'd love to see this week: more difficult dancing.  The best boy bands can really dance, and so far, the dancing on the show hasn't been that dazzling (maybe because most of the song choices haven't been conducive to dancing).  It'll be hard to do intricate choreography to "Since U Been Gone," but the other two songs lend themselves to some good dance breakdowns.  I also hope that eventually the groups are required to sing a cappella.

Good pt about Devin. I would say that Mikey is the second or third most popular on SM after Devin so it will be interesting if they went head to head.

They broke up in 2004, regrouped in 2014 without Ashley Angel, released an album, did a few tours, I may or may not have gone to 7 of those shows, they did a kickstarter for another album that was funded in something stupid like five hours by fans, and now they're touring/have released some more songs. 

I'll see myself out. 

:) No judgment on my part; I just saw the Backstreet Boys (including Architect Nick!) in Vegas last month!

I saw New Kids at Fenway Park last month and it was reported tonight their last tour made 40 Million.  So to be clear: those who declare their love for a boyband an you're over 30, EMBRACE YOUR SHAME! 

Relentless had a pretty hard song that didn't do them any favours.  I thought the mix was pretty bad during the chorus.

J Hype's "who me?!" look when he was put up for elimination made me hope he was going to go.   Happy that he was bounced.  Not sure how Devin survived though.  I agree with Timbaland, he is pretty weak overall.

• Love 2
  • Did Timbaland say that Devin had to learn to "pronounciate" better? Also, did he basically say to Devin "you need to keep working on your vocals...and also you need to work on your breath, I couldn't understand what you were saying...but hey, you were great!"   Okay, then.
  • They made Jaden look so .... generic. I liked his hair before. It made him stand out. Oh, wait, boy band. Maybe they wanted him to blend in more. Well, the new haircut is a step in the right direction.
  • Everyone should have had to do the same song. Since You've Been Gone, for example, was not even in the boys' range half the time.  Poor choice compared to, say the third team's song.
  • Did Emma say Chance showed us he's not just a heartthrob but also has the vocal chops? Yeah, you keep telling yourself that....
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, adhoc said:
  • Did Timbaland say that Devin had to learn to "pronounciate" better? Also, did he basically say to Devin "you need to keep working on your vocals...and also you need to work on your breath, I couldn't understand what you were saying...but hey, you were great!"   Okay, then.
  • They made Jaden look so .... generic. I liked his hair before. It made him stand out. Oh, wait, boy band. Maybe they wanted him to blend in more. Well, the new haircut is a step in the right direction.
  • Everyone should have had to do the same song. Since You've Been Gone, for example, was not even in the boys' range half the time.  Poor choice compared to, say the third team's song.
  • Did Emma say Chance showed us he's not just a heartthrob but also has the vocal chops? Yeah, you keep telling yourself that....

Yes, all of these issues struck me as well.  Poor Jaden and Brady, who are usually so strong, just seemed out of their element with "Since U Been Gone."  The "Without You" group struggled; Devin was off-key and Chance got screechy.  Drew held it together, but I was distracted by his styling tonight (his jacket was so busy, and the man bun didn't work with the outfit).  I was hoping for fun choreography for this song, but NappyTabs barely tried, just having them jump up and down and then do a weird side-to-side shuffle at the end.  The "Jealous" boys did get the best song (that didn't require any belting/screaming) as well as the best staging, and Marcus stood out for me there (plus he got the "aww" moment with his brother, so it looks like the producers are drumming up support for him).  Sergio sounded good, as usual, but he seemed uncomfortable/less confident tonight.  JHype was so off, so it's good he left tonight.  I felt bad for Andrew Bloom; he definitely wasn't a weak singer, but he just never seemed to jell with the other guys.  He seemed to know that he was leaving.

All in all, it was a strangely deflating show.

Pronounciate. He said that. Still laughing 

Marcus stood out tonight.

They keep giving one group a ridiculous not a boy band appropriate out of range why are we singing this type of song. This week it was Since You've Been Gone. I don't know why they won't work on the arrangement. Was it that difficult to fit their voices properly?

Andrew never had a chance. He's a solo artist and more talented than this show allows him to be. 

J-Hype would not have been surprised to hear his name called if he had been listening to the same solo I was hearing. Boy.

Keep trying to make Chance happen show. I forgot to watch/pay attention to which group he was in and with whom. I don't even remember the second song.

Edited by Lyinfait
  • Love 1

Next week's songs:

Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory"

Christina Aguilera's "Fighter"

Sia/David Guetta's "Titanium"

I like all of these songs, but the only one that might sound good sung by a boy band is "Fighter."  The other two songs will definitely expose the weaker singers like Devin, Mikey, and even Chance (so watch them all get put in the "Fighter" group).  Jaden will sound good on any of these songs, but I would actually love to see him, Drew, and Marcus do "Fighter"--they would sound amazing together.

Edited to add:

Ugh, the more I think about it, the more I think "Edge of Glory" and "Titanium" are going to be train wrecks.  Why can't they get songs that would fit these boys' voices as well as the boy-band style?  if they want to see who might sound good on the eventual single, "Eyes Closed," they can test the boys with other songs by the same writer, such as "Cake by the Ocean," "Sorry," and "Believer."  Those numbers would be much more fun to watch than Devin trying to belt like Lady Gaga or Sia.  Sigh.

Edited by alrightokay

I knew Andrew was gone when I saw the group he was put in.  The formula for this show is so obvious: 

• Put Chance in a group and then build the group around him. The boys in that group are generally safe.
  • Take your weaker/more unpopular boys and stack them in a group with a few fan favorites. Put that weaker boy up for elimination. IE: Andrew Bloom, JHype, black boy of the week 
  • Put one fan favorite up for elimination against the two weak ones so that fans will focus on him and not the weaker ones. IE: Mikey, Devin

It's eventually going to come down to them putting Chance up against two weaker ones to ensure their elimination.  It's so formulatic but I'm stupidly invested. 

• Love 2

It surprises me how much I like this cheesy little show. I look forward to it every week, lol. The performances aren't that great, the talent isn't that good, the host and the architects are barely B-list celebrities but I think the young boys are very earnest and look like they really want this, so it makes me want it for them. 

Drew, Chance and Devin -- Their performance sounded like hot-buttered ass until Drew came in with his solo. Devin is a bad vocalist and Chance was pretty bad as well. He has very limited range. They are lucky they have Drew in their group. Actually, he has been vocally carrying his past 2 groups. If the producers and Architects are good at recognizing talent they would start pimping him to make the final 5.

The other two groups weren't too bad in their performances. I actually prefer Jaden with his new hairdo. 

The Architects listened to me because I thought the right 3 were in bottom 3. Andrew is talented but not for a boy band. 

Okay, if I had to form a band of five boys from the remaining contestants, the band would be:

• Drew, age 19
  • Marcus, age 16
  • Brady, age 15
  • Sergio, age 16
  • Jaden, age 16

Drew, while 19, strikes me as a pleasant, agreeable fellow who would get along okay with his younger band mates.

As for Marcus, Brady, Sergio, and Jaden, they all have talent, a seemingly good work ethic, and what seem to be pleasant personalities. (I'd prefer to see Jaden on The Voice, TBH.) The group would have a nice, diverse look.

Chance already has a kid. If everyone else in the band were ages 19-25, that might not concern me so much. But I suspect that Chance is just a little too old--and not just chronologically--for the other teens in this band.  (Not that the architects care about my opinion.)

I don't think Michael Conor, Mikey, or Devin have enough talent or are interesting enough. But maybe for this (what I suspect will be) limited-run band, that won't matter.

YMMV

EDITED TO ADD:  Oh, I forgot to mention, Chance's voice isn't good enough, either. This week showed that.

Edited by adhoc
I left out the part about Chance's voice being too weak.
15 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Okay, if I had to form a band of five boys from the remaining contestants, the band would be:

• Drew, age 19
  • Marcus, age 16
  • Brady, age 15
  • Sergio, age 16
  • Jaden, age 16

Those are my top five, too--they all have strong voices that would compliment each other well (they would actually be able to harmonize!).  But I worry that Chance and Michael Conor are pretty much locks, given their popularity on social media.  The architects have to put up Devin and Mikey next week to get one of them out, and even after that, the remaining singer could still eventually make the band, because he's just so "dreamy."   Unfortunately, I have a feeling Sergio and Brady are vulnerable right now--they each got some criticism last night, unlike Chance, who was terrible. 

I know that this show/band is just a quick cash-grab with probably no longevity (they just want to sell as many copies of that "Eyes Closed" song as possible).  But as someone who just loves boy bands in general, I'm frustrated that the producers aren't trying to cultivate the best aspects of past groups (gorgeous harmonies, agile dancing, sharp styling).  I guess they just don't have enough time.

• Love 4

I watched the performances again because I still had no memory of the other song (Without You). Drew was the saving grace of that performance

unlike Chance, who was terrible.

Alrightokay, you said my thoughts exactly. Devin was eh and Chance struggled (strained weak notes). Emma keeps talking him up though and predictably praised that performance. I feel bad for him. Her lovestruck praise does not reflect reality. How will he improve if he thinks he's great as is? 

I'm frustrated that the producers aren't trying to cultivate the best aspects of past groups (gorgeous harmonies, agile dancing, sharp styling).  I guess they just don't have enough time.

Again, my thoughts. I get it, summer show cash grab, but it could have been more with a bit of effort. 

Edited by Lyinfait
  • Love 1

I think, putting talent aside, (and really with auto tune, how much talent do these boys need, am I right?) the final 5 will be Jaden, Chance, Devin, Brady and one of the Hispanic boys ( I'm hoping Sergio), just to have a mix of everything, plus their favorite two (Devin and Chance)...YMMV of course.

2 hours ago, 87penguins said:

Has anyone else noticed that Sergio never wears full-length pants? I noticed during the last show that he only wears capris. Somehow it bothers me.

Yes. It's fugly. He's already not the tallest boy but that makes him look shorter. I don't want him to make the final band just for that superficial reason. LOL.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, waving feather said:

Yes. It's fugly. He's already not the tallest boy but that makes him look shorter. I don't want him to make the final band just for that superficial reason. LOL.

LOL, poor Sergio; the capris worked for 1D in their "preppy" phase, but they look really awkward on these guys (Jaden's had to wear them, too).  I really haven't liked the clothes on the show except for when the guys were all in suits for "Earned It."  

Speaking of 1D, now that they've petered out and are all pursuing solo careers, Simon Cowell has a new boy band ramping up, Pretty Much.  They can harmonize (and it's interesting that they're singing some of the same covers that the Boy Band guys have done), and they can dance.  While they're still wobbly singing live, their choreography is more complicated than what we've seen on Boy Band so far.  They won't have the benefit of a TV show for promotion, but I can see them being stiff competition for the eventual Boy Band winners (especially if we end up with a Chance/Devin/Mikey/Michael/OneGoodSinger group).

• Love 1