Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek: The Next Generation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I first saw Patrick Stewart at StarFest in Denver in March(-ish) 1988.  It was his very first convention anywhere; he'd wrapped season one of TNG the day before, flew to Denver, did an hour on Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday afternoon before flying on home to London.

He was soooo charming.  He was very nervous, as it was (he told us) his first direct interaction with fans.  He came from a stage background (he told us) so if we were ok with it he wanted to do the thing without using a microphone (we were ok with it, the chatter in the crowd was about nil so we could hear him, and he made it to the 45 minute mark on Sunday before his voice told him to use the microphone), and it was lovely.  Sidenote: every other guest from TNG at this convention over the next many years informed us that they planned to use the microphone through-out; the only one who probably didn't need it was Michael Dorn.

Seven years later he came to StarFest in Denver again, the day after he wrapped season 7.  He'd clearly been to some (many) conventions in the interval, because he was effortlessly skillful, even with the recurring bizarro questions that the Denver cons seemed to attract (this one guy always asked every guest what they thought of some football team).

Anyhoo, Sir PS is reliably great.  If you have the opportunity to see him at a convention or a live performance, you won't regret going.

• Love 2

I didn't think Picard was that angry in the movies.  If anything. he had loosened up after the events of All Good Things... and being around his crew so long.

So what are the options for where Picard is at and what the next step in his life is:

Picard's still in Starfleet, but his career is winding down and the show is about him dealing with his feelings about impending retirement.  

Picard's recently retired from Starfleet and not enjoying a quiet life and the show is about him figuring out what to do with his life now.

Picard's no longer in Starfleet and has joined the Diplomatic Corps and the show is about his adventures as a diplomat/ambassador/negotiator

Picard's no longer in Starfleet and has become and archaeologist and the show is basically Indiana Jones in space.

My wish would be Picard as Indiana Jones.  They've already done the retirement/aging think with Kirk (and to certain extent Picard in Generations) and I'm nor really interested in mopey Picard.  It would be good if he were still in Starfleet to learn bits about what happened with the Voyager crew, Bajor/Cardassia/the Dominion, the fallout of Romulus being destroyed, etc. if only in random bits of dialogue.  I'm not sure anyone in charge of the franchise is interested in exploring the post-Nemesis Federation though.  If they, I wonder how much of the relaunch novel continuity they'll contradict.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So what are the options for where Picard is at and what the next step in his life is:

Picard's still in Starfleet, but his career is winding down and the show is about him dealing with his feelings about impending retirement.  

Picard's recently retired from Starfleet and not enjoying a quiet life and the show is about him figuring out what to do with his life now.

Picard's no longer in Starfleet and has joined the Diplomatic Corps and the show is about his adventures as a diplomat/ambassador/negotiator

Picard's no longer in Starfleet and has become and archaeologist and the show is basically Indiana Jones in space.

Another option: Picard as the head of Starfleet Academy.  Thus getting a series set at the Academy which has been long requested by fans.

It's not an unreasonable move either.  Picard was once offered the position in TNG, and he seemed both honored and interested.  But he declined, staying as the captain of Starfleet's flagship.  (Ok, that was in season 1.  But still.)  But after several years in the big chair, and a couple major wars (Borg, Dominion), he might be ready to take an "easier" position.  Also, a series set at the Academy makes guest appearances much easier, if anything like that were to happen.

But Indiana Picard is also an idea with a lot of legs.  A basic concept for this was also brought up in a TNG episode, "Rascals".  That's the one where Picard, Ro, Guinan and Keiko got physically de-aged.  At a certain point, Troi talks to the young Picard about what he might do if the change is permanent and he (and the rest) would have to "grow up" naturally again.  One suggestion she made was him taking a sabbatical and indulging in his archaeology hobby.  He did say that that option had some appeal, but it wasn't for him at the time.  Again, after a few years, he might have changed his mind.

Either of these would probably be a good concept to run with.  Or they might have something else in mind.  With Sir Patrick as the lead though, at the very least there's going to be high-quality performance no matter the plots.

• Love 4

The Federation has strayed from it’s ideals and has become less tolerant and more militaristic. Picard is railing against these changes in the Federation as some sort of political figure or ambassador.

Or we can go with Indiana Picard.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2018 at 7:22 PM, millennium said:

Yelling at kids to get off his holodeck lawn. 

Or out of the family vineyard  which he had taken over from his late brother.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

Oh please, no.  We saw Picard tending to the family vines in Family and All Good Things... and neither was particularly exciting or interesting.  My biggest fear is they'll give us the slightly dottering Picard from AGT.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Maverick said:

We saw Picard tending to the family vines in Family and All Good Things... and neither was particularly exciting or interesting.  My biggest fear is they'll give us the slightly dottering Picard from AGT.

It's interesting that about the same amount of time has passed between AGT and the end of TNG (minas the TNG films) and now. PS seemed far heathier and together then the AGT Picard.

• Love 2

The other possibility is that he's been promoted to Admiral or higher (although Kirk expressly warned him not to let that happen in Generations by telling him that he'd end up hating it if he couldn't be out there in the trenches commanding a starship).  But Picard always struck me as being more the opposite of Space Cowboy Kirk -- his temperament and approach to problem-solving are much closer to Admiral Janeway's style, which is probably why he and she hit it off when she was the one who gave him his marching orders as his new commanding officer in Nemesis.  I think he'd enjoy the challenge of being an Admiral, and I think he and Janeway would play off one another fantastically as peers and equals.  Moreover, I really can't see him teaching at the Academy.  He's historically never been that comfortable around young people, and the cadets would frustrate the hell out of him, especially if he constantly had to deal with a bunch of Red-Squad kids who thought they were God's gift to the Federation and to Starfleet.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

If he becomes an Indiana Jones type, I hope Vash doesn't show up! I don't really want to see Picard dealing with romantic issues or damsels in distress. I wonder if PS has a lot of input on what the storyline will be.   

• Love 2

I would think so. He had a lot input in the movies and since I'm assuming he had to be coaxed back I would think it would only be for a story he wants to do. 

I saw Jennifer Hetrick (Vash) in a commercial the other day so she's still working.  Surely the current creative team realizes how unpopular the character was, even if the old one didn't. 

Picard's relationship status will quickly tell if they going to honor any of the relaunch novel continuity or not. 

• Love 1

Hetrick always puzzled me.  She was cast in things and very popular with the male showrunners, and for that matter she and Sir PS were A Thing as I recall.  But she always annoyed me (both the actress and also Vash), and I figured she was one of those women that men find attractive and women don't.  I'm not disrespecting the actress, there are lots of actors I don't find appealing who are very successful,  It's more a matter of I don't understand why a character can get such a big piece of an ensemble show, while the ensemble gets pushed to the side.

Anyhoo, PLEASE no Vash.

• Love 2

I never got the Picard/Crusher thing....just didn't ever get a romantic connection. Gates is still around - she was at the Vegas Trek thing a few weeks ago. I was never that taken with her when TNG originally aired, but damn....she gets better looking every time I see her now. She was stunning in Insurrection. 

Years ago, Jennifer Hetrick also did a really terrible guest spot on 90210 where she played an overbearing stage mom. It's one of the more dreadful subplots on 90210 (out of a large pool). Never liked Vash but I was sad to see her in that role.

I vote for an exploration of Picard/Janeway!

I don't think Picard will be running the Academy. My guess is that he will have spiraled off in a different direction from Starfleet - maybe in a depression after some catastrophic event, only to be lured out, for some reason....I just think that PS has been lured back because of some character study of Picard, something that promises nuanced acting and story possibilities, rather than a typical Trek "ship" show. I would guess he wants to do a completely different kind of Trek.

• Love 1

Oh man, I always loved Picard/ Crusher.  The end of “Attached” was such a copout:  they had very strong feelings for each other (which had lasted years and tragedy), AND they even ate their meals (or at least all their breakfasts) together, AND they get kind of jelly when third parties interfere (like Vash), and yet they don’t go for it when they both want it?  No way!

In fact, just about the only thing I never liked about “All Good Things” (which I still consider my favorite series finale of all shows that I have ever seen—I just love it) was the implication that Picard and Crusher would have ever divorced after getting together.  I’m a died-in-the-wool shipper, I tell you.  That said, I harbor no illusions that this new series would have the two of them together (but if it did, I would finally break down and subscribe to that CBS All-Access!).

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Oh man, I always loved Picard/ Crusher.  The end of “Attached” was such a copout:  they had very strong feelings for each other (which had lasted years and tragedy), AND they even ate their meals (or at least all their breakfasts) together, AND they get kind of jelly when third parties interfere (like Vash), and yet they don’t go for it when they both want it?  No way!

There's a reason for that.  He's still her commanding officer, even though she can overrule him when it comes to medical matters.  It would have been highly inappropriate for them to become romantically involved, and they both knew it, because the danger was that Picard might put his feelings for her ahead of their duty to Starfleet and the Federation and refuse to order her to go on a dangerous away mission or cover for her if she commits a serious breach of Starfleet regulations or Federation law (such as violating the Prime Directive, as she was tempted to do on occasion whenever she felt that it conflicted with her sense of medical ethics).

• Love 2

True love doesn’t bow to common sense like that, @legaleagle53! ?  Picard wasn’t actually the one who backed off, even though this was after whatever he experienced with Commander Darren in that “solar storm” episode, when he felt he couldn’t have a relationship with someone in his organization for exactly those reasons.  So by “Attached,” I think he was willing to give it a go, at least, with eyes wide open about what it meant.

And to play devil’s advocate, these people on this show are all “family” in deeply meaningful ways.  Could Riker have ordered Troi to her death if the situation had called for it?  Or could Beverly order Wesley into a no-win scenario during the times that she was in command and Wesley was under her (if she took her command qualifiers before he left the ship)?  Troi had to learn that she might have to send Geordi to his death.  They were all in positions to have to make terrible choices regarding their cherished friends and family.  And when Picard told Riker that he may not be able to protect Riker from the storm coming after the Pegasus situation was revealed, I think it showed that these characters generally wouldn’t compromise their ethics for this family, but rather would support them any other way that they could.

One can say that romantic love is different than the strong “friendships” of the crew, but they all love each other in powerful and unique ways (e.g., Riker being anguished about Worf asking Riker to help with the suicide ritual).  I figured that generally, they all at one point or another had to make some kind of peace with the fact that they may have to give terrible orders at some point, and that was just the price of command.  But Picard did maintain a certain distance from the crew until the last episode, so I think he had a process of thawing on that issue.  And “Attached” came pretty close to the end. 

• Love 2

IIRC. Picard does state that there is no explicit Starfleet regulation that prohibits romantic relationships between a captian and his/her, because Starfleet treats people like adults. This was something Picard decided for himself with Nella Darren. 

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1

Wait, this is gonna be on the CBS all-access. No! Why?! Shit! 

I don't even remember the Nella Darren episode. I googled a picture and still don't remember. I see that she has passed away. :(

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Wait, this is gonna be on the CBS all-access. No! Why?! Shit! 

Yeah, I'm there with you. Don't watch Discovery. I won't even watch CBS Sunday shows because of the sports delays.

But Stewart/Picard? Damn them, they got me.

Just saw the Darren episode - BBCA is on the last season now with their Monday marathons. I have forgotten a lot of details about these later episodes. But give me a crappy season 1 ep and I can all but recite dialogue.

• Love 1

They are supposed to be developing multiple Trek shows to help bolster All Access.  I suspect that while it's doing well, Discovery hasn't pulled in as large a portion of the Trek fan base as they'd like.  Outside of Data, Picard's your best bet of characters from the "modern" Trek to reel the audiences back in...for a fee. 

I didn't know the Nella Darren actress died.  Still, TBH I hated that episode and wasn't fond at all of the character.  Ron Moore wanted to keep her on as a recurring character but thankfully he was the lone voice on that one.    

• Love 2
On 8/4/2018 at 6:59 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Brent Spiner is going to be busy playing the Vice President on Supergirl.

Quoting myself because things have changed.  Brent had to bow out of Supergirl due to family issues related to that show's production schedule in Vancouver (Bruce Boxleitner is taking over the role).  So who knows?  Maybe Data WILL pop up at some point on the new show after all!

• Love 2

Yeah, it always seemed to me that "Data aging" could be easily explained away, that it was a makeup/holo illusion for him to fit in better with his old shipmates. He did it in All Good Things....even! More likely, Spiner just wanted to be done with the role - although I have read that had Nemesis been a hit, Data would have been back....and it's not hard to fanwank a wormhole! Other dimension! that would have made that possible.

Anyway, it's more plausible than Angel or Spike aging.

Aw, I love Spiner. I might have had to go back to watching Supergirl if he was going to be in it! That Vancouver location doomed Calista Flockhart as well. 

• Love 3

Me too! One of my favorite episodes ever was when Spiner played Data, Lore and Dr. Soong all in the same episode. I thought he was brilliant. Hopefully his fans will let him know he is wanted.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1

He played Dr. Soong a couple of times. I just caught the one where Data has a dream and sees Soong as a young man, which is of course, Spiner. Total fun.

Plus that was a DS9 crossover ep with Dr. Bashir!

IRT Discovery, I was disappointed that it was yet again another prequel. I had a hard time getting into Enterprise and while the Pine movies are fun, they're more of the "what if" persuasion to me. At this point, I want a new show that extends the universe forward, not backward - THAT I would pay for. (You hear that, CBS "all access"?) I know the Trek PTB have stated that they aren't interested in moving forward, or think it would be redundant for some reason, but maybe this is where new people, with creativity and imagination, are needed. And I think Sir Patrick is actually thinking in that direction.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

although I have read that had Nemesis been a hit, Data would have been back....and it's not hard to fanwank a wormhole! Other dimension! that would have made that possible.

You don't even have to fanwank it that hard.  The end of Nemesis heavily implies that Data downloaded his memories into B4.  Had there been another movie, I'm sure they would have quickly tossed in a line about him assuming B4's body and have moved on.

4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

He played Dr. Soong a couple of times. I just caught the one where Data has a dream and sees Soong as a young man, which is of course, Spiner. Total fun.

Plus that was a DS9 crossover ep with Dr. Bashir!

IRT Discovery, I was disappointed that it was yet again another prequel. I had a hard time getting into Enterprise and while the Pine movies are fun, they're more of the "what if" persuasion to me. At this point, I want a new show that extends the universe forward, not backward - THAT I would pay for. (You hear that, CBS "all access"?) I know the Trek PTB have stated that they aren't interested in moving forward, or think it would be redundant for some reason, but maybe this is where new people, with creativity and imagination, are needed. And I think Sir Patrick is actually thinking in that direction.

Spiner also played Soong's ancestor in Enterprise.

It's funny they thought moving forward would be redundant when they were recycling TNG plots on Enterprise and twisting themselves into knots bringing in every alien race that had already been explored to death on other shows.  The writers should hate prequels because it binds your storytelling and prevents yoou from ever really being able to do something unexpected.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Maverick said:

The end of Nemesis heavily implies that Data downloaded his memories into B4.

Oh yeah - I mean, aside from B4. They made a point in Nemesis a couple times though about how B4's pathways were not as complex as Data's, and of course the emotion chip was gone. So B4 with Data's memories would not have been Data. So that's why my guess was that the original Data would have been back somehow. (The statement was that "Data would have been back.") Even if Geordi had rehabbed and improved B4, it was still a separate individual, and there might be ethical considerations in simply trying to turn it into another Data.

It reminds me of Fred and Illyria on Angel - Illyria had Fred's memories, but she was a completely different individual. 

It would be nice if we got some followup to TNG characters on the new show. Seriously - I feel so starved for '90s Trek followup.

There are several ongoing novel series that continue the story of all the TNG/DS9/VOY characters.  It's an interconnected world with a lot of crossover stories and characters.   The stories basically in real time so the characters have moved and changed a lot.

If Paramount/CBS is going to relaunch the post-Nemesis Trek universe, I imagine most if not all of the developments in the novels will be wiped away, not unlike the Star Wars Extended Universe when Disney relaunched the movies.  

I saw a video on youtube last night that dished on the controversies behind the Discovery series and also claimed to have insider information on the direction of the Picard series.   I'll spoiler it just to be safe.

The thrust of the commentator's point is that the direction of all current Star Trek series, movies, etc., is being motivated by a protracted rights dispute between CBS (which owns rights to the Prime/original timeline) and Paramount (which owns rights to the Kelvin timeline).   If I understood it correctly (and there is no guarantee I did), the video said one possibility is that the Picard series will not pick up 23 years after Nemesis, but instead will be set in neither the Prime nor Kelvin timeline (or perhaps not even in linear time for that matter) but somewhere/somewhen else, and will set off a chain of events that will be used to eradicate the Prime/original timeline altogether, presumably to increase Paramount's hold over the franchise.   It's all very convoluted and you should really watch it yourself than take my word for it.   I was multitasking at the time and the narrator's voice tends to drone, so there's a reasonable chance my attention drifted and I misunderstood something.

• Love 1

That sounds...suspect.  I think CBS Television owns all the Star Trek-related trademarks while Paramount just has the movie distribution right--without owning the characters themselves.  Ultimately both companies are subsidiaries of the same parent.  And if CBS Television wanted to squash the the movies, they wouldn't destroy the Prime universe.  If they attempt to wipe out the entirety of Star Trek history, I'm not sure I'm interested.  The established Star Trek universe is huge and largely unexplored.  There are over 150 worlds in the Federation, dozens of enemies and Nemesis notwithstanding, no meaningful stories in the Alpha Quadrant in the past 20 years.  There's plenty of room for creativity and new directions without wiping out 50 years . It's easy to write whatever the hell you want and slap someone else's character names on it to get people to watch.  I don't want them to Battlestar Galactica Trek.  

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

That sounds...suspect.  I think CBS Television owns all the Star Trek-related trademarks while Paramount just has the movie distribution right--without owning the characters themselves.  Ultimately both companies are subsidiaries of the same parent.  And if CBS Television wanted to squash the the movies, they wouldn't destroy the Prime universe.  If they attempt to wipe out the entirety of Star Trek history, I'm not sure I'm interested.  The established Star Trek universe is huge and largely unexplored.  There are over 150 worlds in the Federation, dozens of enemies and Nemesis notwithstanding, no meaningful stories in the Alpha Quadrant in the past 20 years.  There's plenty of room for creativity and new directions without wiping out 50 years . It's easy to write whatever the hell you want and slap someone else's character names on it to get people to watch.  I don't want them to Battlestar Galactica Trek.  

Exactly.  Paramount appears to have learned NOTHING from the rather chilly reception that both the post-Nemesis movies and Discovery (and Enterprise, too, for that matter ) got for messing too much with established canon for the sake of change, and they've clearly missed the point of the complaints.  The franchise was never broken, so why did they feel the need to "fix" it by wiping out decades of continuity?  We LOVED our father's (and grandfather's) Treks, and we want them back, dammit.  That's why so many people have flocked to The Orville as the true heir to the Trek franchise -- we love the old-school Trek-ness of it all!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
On 8/22/2018 at 9:57 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Exactly.  Paramount appears to have learned NOTHING from the rather chilly reception that both the post-Nemesis movies and Discovery (and Enterprise, too, for that matter ) got for messing too much with established canon for the sake of change, and they've clearly missed the point of the complaints.  The franchise was never broken, so why did they feel the need to "fix" it by wiping out decades of continuity?  We LOVED our father's (and grandfather's) Treks, and we want them back, dammit.  That's why so many people have flocked to The Orville as the true heir to the Trek franchise -- we love the old-school Trek-ness of it all!

Right and that's been the problem. They keep going backwards with things. They keep wanting to either re write history or keep going back before the original series even started. WHY? It's like they feel there are these "untold golden stories". Just right good characters and stories and move forward with things. People are tired of: "Klingons are the bad guys". They are tired of "secret conspiracies." Just write good stories on characters people love. 

• Love 3
On 8/22/2018 at 10:57 PM, legaleagle53 said:

That's why so many people have flocked to The Orville as the true heir to the Trek franchise -- we love the old-school Trek-ness of it all!

I hate Seth Macfarlane with every fiber of my being, so The Orville's a no-go for me.  That, and I generally can't stand when fanboys wield actual influence in the Star Trek universe (see Quentin Tarantino, Simon Pegg, etc)

• Love 1
On 8/22/2018 at 7:50 PM, Maverick said:

Exactly, and that was one of the major reasons Abrams left to do Star Wars because CBS refused to allow him to wipe out the Prime Timeline all together, because merchandise from Classic Trek outsells Abramstrek.  Like a lot of people I'm tired of dark and gritty and wants some hope for the future, something Star Trek always provided.  Real life has been winning the dark and gritty future for quite some time.

That was one thing that annoyed me the most about Abrams and his crew as well as Berman and Braga before them, that they were handed a well developed universe that had been built up over decades and they said it was too complicated so they slapped together a poor rehash.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

You know what's fascinating?  Maybe it's just me, but he hardly appears to have aged a day since Nemesis!

When it comes to ageing, Sir Parick has had the last laugh. When TNG first aired, he was critized for looking old for his age (Late 40's and early 50's). Now he looks young. It's not like he had to worry about his hair falling out.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2017 at 3:34 PM, CooperTV said:

I've watched 3.19 Captain's Holiday and I've been having Picard's double facepalm expression throughout. What a turd. I think it's one of the worst of season 3, up with Sins of the Father and Booby Trap. The badness even more obvious because the season has a lot of really amazing episodes.

Yeah, I'm not sure any of the Picard stumbles into a relationship episodes worked all that well. I do love Q-Pid, but that was much more about Q and the ensemble than it was about Vash. I kind of liked... Nella Darren? The piano player? but the relationship was too much of a one episode wonder for me to have many strong feelings about it. I really think he had the best chemistry with Crusher and am, to this day, kind of annoyed that they only ever teased it. I think both actors could have done something interesting with the idea that they got married and apparently amicably divorced as seen in All Good Things. Oh, well, at least I finally got my Riker and Troy shipper's heart's desire.

• Love 1
On 8/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Maverick said:

There are several ongoing novel series that continue the story of all the TNG/DS9/VOY characters.  It's an interconnected world with a lot of crossover stories and characters.   The stories basically in real time so the characters have moved and changed a lot.

If Paramount/CBS is going to relaunch the post-Nemesis Trek universe, I imagine most if not all of the developments in the novels will be wiped away, not unlike the Star Wars Extended Universe when Disney relaunched the movies.  

The Picard series is the love child of Kirsten Beyer, who is the author of the Voyager Relaunch books.  I won't be surprised if they actually bring some, though probably not all, of the elements from those books into the official canon.

They actually have in a few small ways already.  When they remastered TOS for high def, and redid some of the effects with CGI (albeit, the way CGI might have looked in the 60s), they changed a few of the starbases to resemble the one from the (excellent, BTW) Vanguard novel series.

This supercut has become popular online lately. I would see commercials for Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction but never watched it but now I wish I had. How did I deprive myself the camp joy of Jonathan Frakes smugly telling me I'm a gullible fool?

• Love 1