Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Gettin' Hygge With It

The actress's age is 45. I think they style her in an way that looks older than she is. Conversely, Debi Mazar (Maggie) is 52, and looks at least 10 years younger. She's styled "younger". Peter Hermann (Charles) is 49. He just looks like random suit guy in his 50s to me.

I think some of the clothes Sutton Foster wears on the show look completely bonkers, and defeat the purpose of her trying to look young. That diaper thing last season is one example.

• Love 2

Charles and Diana both seem like they're in their 50s to me. Maggie seems 40ish - but the kind of 40ish that would definitely have heard of Black Mirror. 

I think it comes back to the writers wanting to make the generation gap a Big Deal (bigger than it actually is) and missing the mark on the older people. Which is weird because you'd think Darren Starr would miss more on the younger folks - but they seem more realistic. 

• Love 3
(edited)

But she clearly loves Liza more deeply and truly than she ever has a romantic partner, so the betrayal goes deeper and is harder to forgive/recover from. 

I agree.  She treated Liza like a very close friend, and, even if Liza had good reasons to do what she did, it's still a pretty huge betrayal.  It's not just Liza lying about her age, it's lying about everything and presenting herself as someone entirely different from who she actually was. 

Diana and Charles don't know what a meme is? That is stretching credibility.

I thought it was stretching credibility for Diana to go shopping for anything at JCPenney. 

I'm not sure what to make of the Maggie storyline.  I can't believe that girl wouldn't have understood what Maggie was after given how Maggie was talking to her at the coffee shop.  Though maybe she saw Maggie in the jump suit, and thought Maggie wasn't looking for sexy times.  I hope this doesn't turn into some kind of situation where Maggie is accused of sexual harassment given she's going to employ this girl. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I thought it was stretching credibility for Diana to go shopping for anything at JCPenney. 

I thought JC Penney was her choice because:

1) It might be close to either the office or her apartment, so it was convenient.

2) JC Penney is cheap, so she wouldn't be spending much money just for the book party.

3) JC Penney is the opposite of her "elegant" style, so it was more "hygge."

I have been saying since day one with this show that Charles and Diana seem way older than they're supposed to be.  And it's a constant issue with this show that everything is about age and anyone over 40 supposedly being behind the times based on age.  I'm frankly sick of it myself.  I've literally been on the internet since 1993 and I'm 59 years old so in many ways I've been exposed to more of what goes on here than a lot of younger people have.  Being this age doesn't automatically translate into being technologically or socially out of touch.  I've known what an internet meme is as opposed to any earlier definitions for at least a decade by now.  And there are  a lot of people my age out there who would know these things.  Who has been on the internet consistently for over 25 years now if not for my generation?  Did millennials invent the internet?  My 90 year old father has even SENT me memes!  So I'm having a hard time believing that Charles, Diana and Liza would be so clueless.  They haven't been living in under a rock and are pretty smart and aware, so believing they would be so uninformed is a big stretch for me, and one that insults the characters IMHO.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I have been saying since day one with this show that Charles and Diana seem way older than they're supposed to be.  And it's a constant issue with this show that everything is about age and anyone over 40 supposedly being behind the times based on age.  I'm frankly sick of it myself.  I've literally been on the internet since 1993 and I'm 59 years old so in many ways I've been exposed to more of what goes on here than a lot of younger people have.  Being this age doesn't automatically translate into being technologically or socially out of touch.  I've known what an internet meme is as opposed to any earlier definitions for at least a decade by now.  And there are  a lot of people my age out there who would know these things.  Who has been on the internet consistently for over 25 years now if not for my generation?  Did millennials invent the internet?  My 90 year old father has even SENT me memes!  So I'm having a hard time believing that Charles, Diana and Liza would be so clueless.  They haven't been living in under a rock and are pretty smart and aware, so believing they would be so uninformed is a big stretch for me, and one that insults the characters IMHO.

PREACH! ^^^^^

• Love 2
On 7/8/2017 at 10:20 PM, txhorns79 said:

I agree.  She treated Liza like a very close friend, and, even if Liza had good reasons to do what she did, it's still a pretty huge betrayal.  It's not just Liza lying about her age, it's lying about everything and presenting herself as someone entirely different from who she actually was.

I agree and I was thinking about this - To Kelsey, Liza was more than a work friend but a personal friend as well, which makes the betrayal feel even worse.  Plus it's not just about Liza lying to her but lying to her job, putting Kelsey in a very uncomfortable ethical position.  We have already seen her have to cover for Liza and thus perpetuate the lie in front of the bosses at work, making her complicit in the unethical situation.  She has even more reason to be angry based on that.

That said, I find it a little hard to swallow the huge "generation gap" as the show makes Kelsey see between her and Liza now that she knows Liza's true age.  If Liza is still only 40 or 41, she's only 14 or so years older than Kelsey if Kelsey is supposed to be about 26.  When I was around 40 I had friends that much younger than me and they never acted like I was their mother, so "out of touch" with anything "current".  I definitely would have known it if they felt that way!  You'd think Liza was much older the way the show portrays her.  Or maybe I just seemed younger to my younger friends.  I was never a parent so perhaps that was a factor, plus I suspect there was less of a cultural disconnect between my generation and the one just younger than mine.  I'm a late boomer and my younger friends were Gen. X-ers.  I have often felt that Gen X and I are more on the same page with a lot of values-related things than Gen X is with Millennials, especially judging from some of the online rants I've seen from some Gen X-ers on that generation, which at first surprised me to tell the truth. 

• Love 2

I'm a Millennial and when I was 26, one of my closest friends was 45, AND a mother to boot, and she never treated me like a child. There was a big/little sister dynamic to our relationship, but we were equals. Like minded people will connect over generational barriers. And after a certain point, 14 years is a pretty insignificant age gap--Kelsey and Liza are rapidly approaching that point. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I still would like to know from Kelseys point of view, what exactly is she mad about - she has many options to chose from, of course... but still, I wish they would elaborate.

Let us see more into her head  .... not just "I am very angry"

Why does she feel betrayed? Wwell, age is a very personal thing - and as someone pointed out women may have the tendency to lie about their age sometimes...:)

- Is it personal - is it mainly about Liza having a daugther (and a ex-husband)? Well but has Kelsey ever even ask Liza about that ? It is possible still have both even at 26....

- Is it professional - is about Millenial, that it puts the whole print in jeopardy, ridicule ... and now she must keep her secret for her? But it is not as if Liza wasnt always trying to do her best work possible always...

- Or is she just "jealous" ... cant find a better word ... that Liza is actually much more experienced then she let on, and all this time Kelseys feels that her own problems might have semeed foolish to Liza...

Edited by bara007
  • Love 1

When I was 22, I became friends with a coworker who was exactly ten years older than I was. She and I ended up becoming really good friends (we hung out together almost every weekend, we spent our lunch hours together, we went shopping together). Even though she did teach me a lot of things (from ordinary things like makeup and clothes to much more important things), she never did it in a way that indicated she thought I was young and stupid. She always treated me like an equal and she was never condescending or patronizing about our age difference. It really didn't affect our friendship 99% of the time (and that 1% was just pop culture stuff, like I would say a certain song reminded me of middle school and she would say it reminded her of college).

• Love 1
(edited)

If Kelsey is smart, she'd have Liza write a book about her experience as an "old timer"  in the "Millennial world". That has to be where the show is headed, right? That Liza will end up writing about the experience.

I think it's personal, Kelsey and Liza became friends under the assumption Liza was the same age. Kelsey seems to be very agest, so she's probably angry that she was tricked into liking someone old.

Edited by Mabinogia
(edited)

Aw I was hoping Kelsey was letting Colin back into her good graces so she could humiliate him with a "Psyche suckah!"after showing him how much better off she was without him. Disappointing.

On 7/7/2017 at 11:10 AM, MaggieG said:

"Nostalgic snow? What is that, old snow? Isn't that water?" made me laugh.

I kinda like Kelsey and Josh together

I laughed at that line too.

Edited by Eri

I don't have a lot to say about this episode that others haven't said, except I have to comment on the poster in Kelsey's office.  What was that???  It looked like an S&M version of Pride & Prejudice!  I was so disturbed by it, because 1.  Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books and 2. as a book lover from way back, covers matter to me.  I actually make prints of my favorite book covers and hang them on my walls and that...well, for one thing, it had absolutely nothing to do with the actual book.  I just don't get it...wouldn't anyone picking up the book and reading it based on the cover be disappointed that there was no blindfolding involved at all?  

It reminded of a show that was on Bravo several years ago called Work of Art.  In one episode, they had to design covers for classic books.  The girl who got Pride & Prejudice had never read the book and it was so obvious, because her immediate instinct was to go into the bathroom and photograph herself naked, holding a top hat.  I mean...what?  Ok, yes, I know I'm probably harping on this too much, but IMO, people in publishing should know how important covers are to books, and it really pisses me off when a cover has nothing whatsoever to do with the story itself.

P&P poster.JPG

• Love 3

I'm using my hulu subscription to catch up on Younger. I wish they already had season 5 but maybe I'll resubscribe to watch. They kind of got me with the Charles stuff but the rest of it just feels so... same-y. I thought the fallout from Kelsey finding out would be more dramatic. Instead they still flirt with current event ideas without digging in (e.g. post-truth, hygge) and characters who know/don't know Liza's secret either talk about it or dance around it. It's a pleasant watch but it's an easy show to drop because it's not a must-watch. It doesn't have that energy except maybe around season finales.

Also, why does everyone think BDSM is about nonconsensual infliction of pain? That's just called being abusive.