Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah she worked at Scala's as Executive Chef for years, she left around a year and half ago to start her own restaurant in the city but I haven't heard anything recentally.

Ah, boy, I wish Jen luck.  Times are hard, and this is a tough time to start a restaurant unless you have other places to pull money from -- a la Richard Blais, who is currently on his fifth or sixth spot.  Jen's has had good experience by now and should be ready for her own place.

I didn't recognize Tim from Top Chef Just Desserts in the picture on Shakewell's website.

My friend lives near there and we have been meaning to try it, now we will have another reason to go.

• Love 1

I had a look at the menu at Shakewell, and it looks like Jen is on the cutting edge with some exciting food.  Shakewell  has also been awarded a Michelin star -- not shabby at all.  Was she on "Beat Bobby Flay" last season or this season?  I almost never miss that show, but I'm thinking it's one that maybe I did miss.

If you ever have the chance to dine at Stephanie Izard's Girl & the Goat in Chicago, I highly recommend that you take advantage of it.  I went for dinner during an overnight stay in the city a couple of weeks ago and every dish I had was amazing.  (I was hoping for a glimpse of Stephanie while I was there -- the kitchen is open to the dining area -- but she was not there.)

Edited by Decider

Thanks for the correction, biakbiak.  I'll have to read up on Michelin because I don't know a lot about it.  My mom used to get all excited if a restaurant had been recommended by Duncan Hines.  They'd have a little sign hanging out by their doorways saying "Recommended by Duncan Hines."  Then there were the AAA places.  Now Michelin seems to be the coveted recommendation for fine dining.

• Love 1

Thanks for the correction, biakbiak.  I'll have to read up on Michelin because I don't know a lot about it.  My mom used to get all excited if a restaurant had been recommended by Duncan Hines.  They'd have a little sign hanging out by their doorways saying "Recommended by Duncan Hines."  Then there were the AAA places.  Now Michelin seems to be the coveted recommendation for fine dining.

Here's a link to the wiki about it. I don't know anything about it either and keep forgetting to look it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

TC New Orleans news in Nola:

Justin opened a new restaurant which is wonderful. The only thing meh for us was the shrimp croquettes, but everything else was really excellent. The man knows how to prepare shrimp and he's ruined me for anywhere else now. The neighbors went and said there were some service issues but they didn't care at all because the food was so delicious (but if that's a thing, they need to fix it).

And Nina is opening a restaurant in Nola -- woohoo!

• Love 3

Kevin Gillespie is opening his second restaurant in Atlanta, and is hiring:

Attention all chefs seeking employment!

Chef Kevin Gillespie is set to open a second restaurant in Decatur this summer. Revival, is an ode to traditional southern food with artisan cooking techniques. Currently seeking a sous chef. Candidates should have 5+ years back of house restaurant experience, knowledge and experience with butchery and fish fabrication, as well as experience with a wood burning grill. Qualified candidates should possess great leadership skills and pay attention to detail. Position to start late spring/early summer.

Please send résumés to kitchendudes@gunshowatl.com ATTENTION ANDREAS MULLER

Extremely amused. My office recently subscribed to a service which brings a different restaurant to the office every day to sell a selection of <$10 entrees from the employee lounge. One of the upcoming selections is "Thaietnamese" food from Sweet Chili, Lisa Fernandes' food truck. Not that having a food truck isn't a perfectly honorable way to start, especially in the obscenely expensive NY market. I just remember when everybody's favorite finalist told the Daily News that the haters were just bitter because we couldn't afford her food.

• Love 1

Looking back and working off of very limited impressions, she said she wanted to do a number of things that she still hasn't done. I'm pretty sure she said she wanted to open a restaurant, for example. And she talked about going to Korea, not so much to find her bio-family but more to just see the place and get a sense of her heritage.

I guess what I'm saying is that I sense some confusion or maybe even a lack of direction in her. Perhaps she's overwhelmed by the choices she's had. I come from a family of late-bloomers, so I don't want this to be misconstrued as a criticism. I am absolutely NOT criticizing her. But I do see some ambiguity in her, and since she's been on TV, including in a commercial, the hosting gig may be low-hanging fruit.

• Love 4

I think it's a pretty good way of spending a few years getting paid for food tourism while keeping herself in the public eye in case she decides to open a restaurant later. Bonus: she has a crew with her, so she doesn't have to worry about her safety when she's in strange (to her, anyway) places.

• Love 6

I think it's a pretty good way of spending a few years getting paid for food tourism while keeping herself in the public eye in case she decides to open a restaurant later. Bonus: she has a crew with her, so she doesn't have to worry about her safety when she's in strange (to her, anyway) places.

I agree. She'll make some contacts this way, too. And she should explore things like this while she's young. (Not that I think exploration should ever cease, but most of us have more physical and psychological energy when we're younger.) I'm still not convinced she's going to be a good host, but she could surprise me.

• Love 4

Stephanie Cmar Takes Over at Fairsted Kitchen

Stephanie Cmar (Party of Two, Stacked Donuts) has officially found a new brick and mortar home. Today, Fairsted Kitchen in Brookline announced that the former Top Chef contestant and No. 9 Park chef will immediately take over for Jason Albus as he transitions into his new role as executive chef at Andrew Foster and Steve Bowman’s latest concept, The Frogmore in Jamaica Plain.

Fairsted Kitchen’s new menu, which Cmar is currently developing, will be driven by her “love of French and Italian food but with a Middle Eastern spin on it,” said Cmar via a press release. “I can’t wait for the future of the food at Fairsted.”

Season 7 contestant Arnold Myint will be on this season's Food Network Star, beginning two weeks from tonight. Food Network has already mentioned his alter ego, Suzy Wong, in his official bio so Suzy might make an appearance.

• Love 1

I'm starting to get the impression that Kenny Gilbert's new restaurant in Florida may be struggling already. He's been doing BBQ outside, to entice people with the smell. And he's been having ridiculous specials... $5 pulled pork BBQ sandwich with sides and a drink.

I'll give that news an "Awwwww."  I liked Kenny and hoped he'd do well.

Cooksdelight, remember how we bantered back and forth about whether or not Justin Warner wore lipstick?  LOL  You swore he did, while I swore he didn't.  I've seen him appear on a couple of shows lately.  He did!  :)  His lips are almost white as snow these days.

• Love 2

He was MARRIED?  Good grief!  And getting ready to marry #2!  The rumor mill was alive with tales that he didn't get along with the FN or Alton Brown, thus no show.  I wonder whether his dad's death threw him for a loop.  It's just about all he talked about when he was on. 

I'm starting to get the impression that Kenny Gilbert's new restaurant in Florida may be struggling already. He's been doing BBQ outside, to entice people with the smell. And he's been having ridiculous specials... $5 pulled pork BBQ sandwich with sides and a drink.

He posted a picture of his menu board this morning. I don't think the sandwich comes with a side and drink. It's on the "Express Lunch" menu, as well. $5 seems normal to me. Jenkins sells theirs for $5.15. I think he also just purchased 2 more smokers. And put in a sangria bar. I thought it sounded like things are going pretty well for him?

I am over the moon with excitement!!!  Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle announced that Jonathan Waxman is opening a 110-seat, new restaurant here!  It will be a lot like Barbuto, turning out the same kind of dishes, including his famous roast chicken and other dishes that he is so well known for.  I love Jonathan and cannot wait to taste his food.  He plans to divide his time between here and NYC.

• Love 2

Kevin is opening a new restaurant, and is hiring:

Chef Kevin Gillespie at Revival

My new restaurant, Revival, is set to open in a few weeks. If you are as passionate about Southern Food as I am, or if you know anyone who is, we are hiring ALL kitchen staff over the next week. If you are interested please contact Revival's Executive Chef, Andreas Muller, via email at andreas@revivaldecatur.com

We are looking forward to meeting some new faces and making some great food together!

Ash from I forgot which season is on tonight's Chopped grilling competition.

He just got chopped after the entree round. His ramps were too strong.

Edited by Lamb18