Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Scarlett45

S03.E01: Bottoms Up

Recommended Posts

In some ways Jazz is so mature and articulate and in other ways, it seems to me that she is spouting party lines and sounds much younger. I can't exactly put my finger on how or when but, it's like she thinks her dad should let her do the surgery now because she wants it and that's it. I think the surgeon was good to just lay it out like that about the limitations of the procedure. You can't sugar coat this stuff, it's way too important. I have also felt since the very first episode that they put way too much emphasis on dating and finding love. I'm not saying it's not important but my son is the same age as Jazz and doesn't have a girlfriend, doesn't have anyone he'd even like to approach as a girlfriend, and is honestly not too worried about it. I know it's a legitimate concern for transgendered people, but at Jazz's age, I think they're thinking too much about that and should be focusing more on the social stuff like depression and having few friends. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Eureka said:

In some ways Jazz is so mature and articulate and in other ways, it seems to me that she is spouting party lines and sounds much younger. I can't exactly put my finger on how or when but, it's like she thinks her dad should let her do the surgery now because she wants it and that's it. I think the surgeon was good to just lay it out like that about the limitations of the procedure. You can't sugar coat this stuff, it's way too important. I have also felt since the very first episode that they put way too much emphasis on dating and finding love. I'm not saying it's not important but my son is the same age as Jazz and doesn't have a girlfriend, doesn't have anyone he'd even like to approach as a girlfriend, and is honestly not too worried about it. I know it's a legitimate concern for transgendered people, but at Jazz's age, I think they're thinking too much about that and should be focusing more on the social stuff like depression and having few friends. 

I know what you mean. She's obviously intelligent and has done a lot of research, but she's also definitely an idealistic teenager. She expects everyone to get on board with what she believes are the correct values, attitudes, and terminology right away. I'm hoping that as she matures she'll start to understand that you can't harangue people into compassion and tolerance. The way she treats her grandparents is a prime example of this. For their generation and culture I think they've been incredibly accepting and open to learning, but it's still not good enough for Jazz. I've heard that people don't develop a full sense of empathy until their early 20s (I think it was true for me), so there's hope. 

I also agree that not having a boyfriend/girlfriend at that age is not cause for alarm and Jazz would be better served by focusing on friendships and mental health. Maybe by the time she's ready for a romantic relationship, things will be easier for trans-women.

One more thing, just a friendly note that the preferred term is actually "transgender" not "transgendered." I know it seems grammatically wrong but that's what their community prefers so I go with it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

 

One more thing, just a friendly note that the preferred term is actually "transgender" not "transgendered." I know it seems grammatically wrong but that's what their community prefers so I go with it!

Thank you for this. I am actually not sure if I wrote it that way or autocorrect did, but I will be sure to check next time before posting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

She's obviously intelligent and has done a lot of research, but she's also definitely an idealistic teenager. She expects everyone to get on board with what she believes are the correct values, attitudes, and terminology right away. I'm hoping that as she matures she'll start to understand that you can't harangue people into compassion and tolerance. The way she treats her grandparents is a prime example of this. For their generation and culture I think they've been incredibly accepting and open to learning, but it's still not good enough for Jazz. I've heard that people don't develop a full sense of empathy until their early 20s (I think it was true for me), so there's hope. 

Unfortunately, there's a lot of kids just like her that don't seem to be growing out of this attitude. I think some of it stems from the helicopter parenting her family has done with her. Even when she is clearly wrong or out of line, they don't reprimand her and they don't tell her no very much. It's going to be a rough ride when she finally has to be accountable for her actions and has to respect other opinions. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of a student I had once. Although she was not academically ready for my class, her mother demanded that she be enrolled because she wanted to take it. She then struggled with the material and constantly interrupted class to ask questions. This averaged well over 50 questions in a 60 minute class. When her questions weren't immediately answered to her satisfaction (which was frequent as she did not have the necessary math background for the class) and I suggested that she meet with me after class for private tutoring, she complained to her mother that I was picking on her and denying her a chance to learn. This was also the case if I dared to answer anyone else's questions. Due to her parents' demands, her grade was changed by the administration. This child was a high school senior and now, presumably in college. The last I heard, college was not going well for her. In her case, it is being blamed on the school not taking her needs into account. I think Jazz could potentially end up the same, where any difficulty she faces is going to be blamed on others not respecting her gender identity instead of accepting that not everyone feels the same way she does. Until her parents start setting boundaries and calling her on some of her behavior (the way she treats her friends for example), nothing is going to change though, I fear.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh.. Jazz is so spoiled and her parents drive me up the wall. Her Mom's attitude is putting women back 50 years. This kind of mother makes me want to puke. If she were an animal mother her kids would never survive in the wild, but apparently that is the idea with modern heli-parents. A mother's job is to raise a child to be adults not perennial infants, despite the kind of tripe we hear out of the mouths of modern idiots. Jazz's Mom is totally up her ass. Her parents are raising her to be useless and unable to thrive without her parent's dragging her around on a throne. Jazz can get a bisexual why are the parents so hell bent on making her "normal". Who is normal, what is normal? If acting like a bimbo is being a normal woman than she doesn't need a vagina to act vapid. Jesus Christ this kid is going to college? Her Mom is basically preparing her to be a stepford wife. What is she going to major in doing her hair? I mean that's an insult to hairdressers- I don't know a hairdresser that is half as dippy as Jazz. Mommy is raising Jazz to need a man to keep up her lifestyle of lazer hair removal and spa trips. What year is this. Why is this all about shopping Jazz as a future wife? Is that all she is? I respect this kid, I think she had major chutzpah, however she's being trained to be dependent. Her entire identity revolves around her ability to catch a man. I mean even with a dick she could still get a hot dude! 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size