Type keyword(s) to search

A Place To Call Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

TBH, James and his storyline were mainly what got me to stick around for the whole first season. By the end of that first season, I liked all the characters. I still liked the rest of the cast, but when James' character had to be written out, it ruined it all for me. I was hoping the ending for the show would be that James would eventually end up with Harry after everything. Hoping for that ending was what got me through the horrible third season. Anyway, it almost looked like that endgame with Harry and James was about to happen, too, until the actor for James became unavailable. Just sad, this show was almost perfect. Now I can't bear to watch any reruns knowing how it derailed in the end, which is a shame. When it started, I personally thought it was nearly on par with Downton Abbey.

On another note, I never liked Henry for James--I almost felt that was purposeful, because it felt like James and Harry would be endgame originally. That they put Henry with Harry seemed like an attempt to salvage that storyline with a new ending and I /hated/ it. No offense to the actor, I just never saw any chemistry between him and James, much less him and Harry.

• Love 1
On 11/8/2021 at 4:02 AM, ch1 said:

I do wonder though what the deal was supposed to be with William during the epilogue. Was it supposed to be a given that he and James were still together when he died?  

I've always assumed not.   James nd William are already having problems in season 6 (the whole reason for James's Australian business idea was to have some interests safe from William's gambling debts) And if they'd been in an exclusive committed relationship for all these years then James would be unlikely to have become ill and died.  But nothing is said one way or another about William and James.

And I know there wasn't much time with David Berry in season 6 and I know they were part of an ensemble and whatever but the fact that they have Olivia in a scene with her brother and they don't speak!??!?!   That really, really, really bugs me.   That is all.  And I say this as somebody who doesn't much care about Olivia one way or another.

I also wish we'd scene some scenes with Andrew outside of the 10 seconds in the finale.  I mean I can totally see Olivia and Andrew as  a thing but this woman was in 3 romantic relationships in her life prior to Andrew and they were all totally wrong for her (I mean I'm super glad for James that he had Olivia but... and then the artist and then Matt all not great choices... and her getting rid of Matt is a really good moment for her and when she sees Georgie again after hearing his story I think is a genuinely lovely moment... but then she hooks up with Andrew so quickly and we don't see any of it... but he's the SECOND man she's been ENGAGED between filing for divorce and her court date... and that's a bit cringe for me.  And it probably would have been less so if we'd actually seen them reconnect.   

BTW one of the things that bugs me most on this show is Matt turning up after Douglas died.  I mean Douglas is all about turning Elizabeth into a better person and no lies and all that and he's got this whopper... and he's dying for a long time actively and he KNOWS she's going to find out because he's put something in his will... and nope... he doesn't say anything but then he's dead and Elizabeth doesn't even really get to react to his hypocrisy about secrets and lies.  

Plus this kid grew up in Sydney with his brother, right?   So isn't somebody Elizabeth knows going to have a son or grandson who was in school with this kid?   How has nobody in the entirety of the time that Elizabeth has been with Douglas never mentioned Douglas's boys in the plural!?!??     

• Love 1

The way they handled William was just the most ridiculous thing.  He appeared like 3 times and said one word.  It was just so silly.  Shouldn’t the character that James left his entire life for warrant a couple of scenes where he actually got to speak?  

Olivia really did not have the best luck with men.  Lloyd was a smarmy ass and Matt was an overbearing ass who basically wanted Olivia for her son.  And don’t get me started on a man who was a part of their lives for like 5 minutes dictating what had to be done when it came to Olivia’s son.

(And on top of that shitshow is James acting like moving away means you’re not a father anymore because it’s too confusing.  I know nothing about kids but I think a parent disappearing from their 5 year old’s life would be just as confusing and beyond cruel - this is also the main reason I feel the writers killed James’ character.  His walking away from Georgie and saying he has a new Daddy now didn’t seem in character at all - it’s especially glaring if you binged the seasons the way I did.)

They could have completely scrapped the horrible Georgie/Matt plot and actually had Andrew come back and reconnect Andrew and Olivia because Olivia marrying Andrew did make sense.  It would have been better than what was actually on screen.

• Love 3
On 3/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, luvmylabs said:

I think the consideration of George's conversion to Judaism was kind of forced.  Many children are raised in 2 religion homes.  However, I liked Anna's speech about why she is the way she is... pretty cool.  Also leaves room open for another season...that and Sir Richard, the snake!  The costumes are so great!

I love love love those pretty dresses that Anna wears.  And the little sweaters!

• Love 1

I found this show heavy going. It's like they have a checklist of issues they want to deal with and they cram in as many as possible. 

Some of the actresses were very attractive but the main one isn't as attractive as we are meant to believe she is. 

Being Aussie, I would have liked to have enjoyed the nostalgia of a more innocent time without all the sermonizing. 

just discovered and started binge watching APTCH, but only into episode 4 and I am gobsmacked by the fact that Sarah - who by this episode is established as a survivor of the concentration camps - has no numbers tattooed on her arm. Maybe this is addressed in a later episode, but I am finding this jarring.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:28 AM, zapper said:

just discovered and started binge watching APTCH, but only into episode 4 and I am gobsmacked by the fact that Sarah - who by this episode is established as a survivor of the concentration camps - has no numbers tattooed on her arm. Maybe this is addressed in a later episode, but I am finding this jarring.

That was only at Auschwitz.   Sarah was at Ravensbrook.   

On 3/13/2022 at 12:31 AM, LadyIrony said:

Some of the actresses were very attractive but the main one isn't as attractive as we are meant to believe she is. 

Were we meant to believe she was more attractive than she was?  I don't remember anybody even George (who I do think was attracted to her) going on and on about her looks.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My complaint is about the Jewish  couple with the daughter who has TB, I think they are the Goldbergs . The husband and wife have the worst accents. It appears to me that those are not their real accents if indeed they have any accents.  I don't know why they could not  find two actors who actually did have those accents. It is very painful and insulting to listen to them.

Edited by Conversations