Type keyword(s) to search

A Place To Call Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I'm watching on local PBS and have NO IDEA how many episodes/seasons remain.   The actress who plays Regina is a PERFECT Disney villain.

I think there are 4 seasons; I've been watching it on my local PBS station too! Last week was I believe the finale of season 4 . The episode "All Good Things" really felt like a series finale to me until they had the whole scene where 

Spoiler

Sir Richard is going to get Regina off in exchange for dirt on the Bligh family.

I hoping season 5 isn't just more Regina drama. Yes, she does make a good villain, but I'm tired of her. 

Also I'm probably the only one not rooting for Anna and Gino.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fireball said:

Also I'm probably the only one not rooting for Anna and Gino.

I'm just "meh" with Anna...and I was over Gino long ago.  It may be that the casting is just wrong.  I'd even prefer a different actress for Sarah (Sara?)...but I'm not Australian.

• Love 1
(edited)

EDIT: I'm not sure if we should use spoiler tags and for what, but I just thought I should warn anyone who hasn't seen season 4 to scroll past my post. :)

Gino is probably the only central character outside Regina that I straight up don't like (and at least Regina is intended to be disliked). I enjoyed him in the first season and the actor is cute, but as soon as the two were married he became a monster. And it just dragged on into the fourth season with him complaining about anything and everything Anna did. I was so happy he was gone at the end and I hope he stays away. George is another character I go back and forth on, but I do like him and Sarah together. And the character's pretty badass when he takes charge of things. When he had the whole family meet in the drawing room in order to take back any power Regina had over him and told them all he was the father of Sarah's baby, I couldn't help cheering.

I have to say I've enjoyed the entire series thus far except season 3. That was a snorefest. I'm so glad the show got back on the rails in 4. I believe my favorite characters on the show are Carolyn and Jack, but I like Harry, too, and I was so glad they brought him back. I have to say it's refreshing to have a gay couple on a show I watch where I like both characters and there's enormous chemistry. Hopefully they'll write out the doctor soon. And I'm hoping they bring Andrew Swanson back to be Olivia's love interest, too. I wasn't shocked at all the painter dropped her; he only ever seemed interested in sex from the moment they met. I expect that painting will come back to haunt her. I like that they've shown Elisabeth falling back into her old controlling habits, and her slip-outs of hatred for what James is. Seems realistic to me.

As for Regina, I'm glad they had the balls to actually push her to the ledge rather than just be all bluster with no pay-off. When she accidentally shot the officer, I actually felt a twinge of sympathy for her. On top of the building morphine addiction, the scene where she's outside the car on the ground just felt like her Lady Macbeth moment to me where she was finally feeling the weight of all she'd done. That last episode where she went to Sarah's house and was holding the baby was so well-done. I thought for sure she had to be done at this point, but they seem to be setting up her return (which'll most likely mean trouble for James, unfortunately).

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I'm just "meh" with Anna...and I was over Gino long ago.  It may be that the casting is just wrong.  I'd even prefer a different actress for Sarah (Sara?)...but I'm not Australian.

Anna has grown on me. However, one of my problems with Anna is I have a hard time believing that she's actually a Bligh. Everyone else in the family has brown/brunette hair and while I know that two brown haired parents can have a blonde child it just takes me out of the show. When I first started watching my thought was sooo the writers don't think the audience can distinguish between a brown hair Olivia and a brown haired Anna.

Gino I was always a bit meh on him; I did kind of like him in the first season. However, once Anna and he got married I just started to hate him. Actually when he went and sold Anna's horse is when I really started hating him. I can't even remember why he sold her horse, but I recall it was because it boiled down to he was mad at Anna. I'm a bit confused why Jack is so upset & devastated over Anna & Gino's break-up.  

Sarah I go back and forth with her. At times I really like her and at times she's just to much. Also I wonder at times why George is so gaga over her. 

10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

EDIT: I'm not sure if we should use spoiler tags and for what

I think all episodes that have been aired are fair game to talk about. I put some of my post in spoilers since I wasn't sure what episode Former Nun was on; if their local PBS station is like mine it's showing A Place to Call Home not in order. My station showed season 4 before season 3. 

Gino is probably the only central character outside Regina that I straight up don't like (and at least Regina is intended to be disliked). I enjoyed him in the first season and the actor is cute, but as soon as the two were married he became a monster. And it just dragged on into the fourth season with him complaining about anything and everything Anna did. I was so happy he was gone at the end and I hope he stays away. George is another character I go back and forth on, but I do like him and Sarah together. And the character's pretty badass when he takes charge of things. When he had the whole family meet in the drawing room in order to take back any power Regina had over him and told them all he was the father of Sarah's baby, I couldn't help cheering.

I agree, Gino is so unlikeable. I really hope that the writers don't try and put Anna & him back together. But of course they will. I guess those two are suppose to be the star-crossed-lovers that we're supposed to root for, but I just can't. I hope Anna gets a new love interest for next season. However, I read a recap of season 4 finale which said "that the greatest tragedy of the episode was the separation of our young lovers, Anna and Gino." To me it wasn't a tragedy but a relief.

I'm also with you on George I like him and then I don't. I was really annoyed when George showed up at Sarah's I think season 3? and was all "me marrying Regina is only temporary we'll be together soon." I was thinking ummm so George what's the plan are you going to divorce Regina or are you just assuming Sarah will be your mistress? 

And I'm hoping they bring Andrew Swanson back to be Olivia's love interest, too. I wasn't shocked at all the painter dropped her; he only ever seemed interested in sex from the moment they met. I expect that painting will come back to haunt her. I like that they've shown Elisabeth falling back into her old controlling habits, and her slip-outs of hatred for what James is. Seems realistic to me.

I wasn't shocked that the painter dropped her either; it was sad though. James gets nice love interests, but poor Olivia just keeps getting used. It would be interesting if the show brought back Andrew. With Anna unattached would he go after Olivia or Anna? I actually kind of liked Andrew. Yes he was at times an ass, but as I recall he did have redeeming moments. At the time I know I was suppose to root for Anna & Gina, but I found myself more interested in Andrew as a potential love interest for Anna. I never really got on the Gino & Anna bandwagon.

I was a bit confused on the finale when Olivia said that staying gave her a purpose. What purpose exactly was she talking about? The purpose of keeping James's secret?

As for Regina, I'm glad they had the balls to actually push her to the ledge rather than just be all bluster with no pay-off. 

I also liked that the show really had Regina go nuts. Although, she makes a good villain, I would love it if Regina did not make an appearance in season 5. I want the show to move on to different villains and maybe it will with Sir Richard, but I have a feeling that Regina will play a big role in S5.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
(edited)

I love this show so much, and I'm glad there's a forum for it now. Just a few character observations:

• Regina: that she was introduced in an episode titled "Cane Toad" was spot on. A poisonous creature introduced into an ecosystem to eliminate a local pest. Failed to do that and instead became a bigger and virtually impossible to eradicate menace instead.
  • Anna: in the end, a total hypocrite. Spent most of the series trying to out everyone else's secrets either because she thought she might personally gain from their exposure or from a misguided sense that everyone would be better off knowing all the most deeply painful things about each other, which didn't stop her from marrying Gino in spite of knowing that she wouldn't be able to give him what he most wanted out of life -- children.
  • Elizabeth: I hated her in the beginning, but for me she became the most improved character on the show. Turns out she was only a mean ice queen because of circumstances -- although she was damn good at it -- and when freed from needing to control everyone around her, became a force for good. I hope she lives through the end of the series.

I'm looking forward to the next season, even though the last season's finale made a really good series finale. Everyone got what they'd deserved or bargained for though I'm sorry that Sir Richard and Regina still have the potential to be loose cannons going forward, because I think they were both already well dealt with.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CoderLady said:

I'm looking forward to the next season, even though the last season's finale made a really good series finale. Everyone got what they'd deserved or bargained for though I'm sorry that Sir Richard and Regina still have the potential to be loose cannons going forward, because I think they were both already well dealt with.

I agree that S4's last episode really did work for a series finale, and I thought it was the series finale until the Sir Richard scene.  I keep wondering how the real finale will play out. 

ETA: What really made it feel like a series finale to me was the scene between Sarah and Elizabeth. Those two started out as adversaries and it feels like the show should end with them becoming friends. Well friends isn't really the right word, but I'm tired and can't seem to come up with a different word.

Edited by Fireball
(edited)

I stuck with this show out of absolute love for James and Sarah.   During the early seasons it often felt like they were in a rush to insert every primetime soap cliche that had ever been invented, with

Spoiler

Olivia buying a baby, Sarah's long lost husband coming back and then being completely wasted as a character, and that bizzare one-time framing element of Sarah recounting the whole story to Olivia's grand-daughter who looks just like her even though they aren't genetically related.

But Jame's story as he went through gay conversion torture and Sarah's, a leftist holocaust survivor were rare and powerful enough to hold me.  I did appreciate that the 4th season brought everything back to the social/political drama of the era, and apparently S5 is going to be on the same lines, (with a 4 year time jump) so that's good.  I think Gino has left the show for good, and I kind of wish Regina would as well, since she's crossed a line that there's no coming back from. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Fireball said:

Also I wonder at times why George is so gaga over her. 

Yeah...if there were a stunning beauty in the part--and maybe some with the small bone structure/stature of George, that would make for better TV.   

3 hours ago, Fireball said:

My station showed season 4 before season 3. 

Yikes!   Yeah, I don't know what episode I'm on--I think we're in Season 4.   This probably doesn't help: a description of Saturday's (tomorrow's) show.    Sarah's annoyance at an invasion of her privacy turns to anger. 

I don't mind if I read "spoilers" here.  As far as I remember, Regina has not shot the officer yet--and it's okay with me to know that.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Glade said:

I stuck with this show out of absolute love for James and Sarah.   During the early seasons it often felt like they were in a rush to insert every primetime soap cliche that had ever been invented

But Jame's story as he went through gay conversion torture and Sarah's, a leftist holocaust survivor were rare and powerful enough to hold me.  I did appreciate that the 4th season brought everything back to the social/political drama of the era, and apparently S5 is going to be on the same lines, (with a 4 year time jump) so that's good. 

I got a bit tired of all the soap clichés that I quit the show for awhile. I mean like you said every single soap cliché was used! I agree, the gay conversion torture and holocaust survivor were well done. I wish the show was less soap opera clichés and just more of a drama.

1 hour ago, Glade said:

Hide contents

Olivia buying a baby, Sarah's long lost husband coming back and then being completely wasted as a character, and that bizzare one-time framing element of Sarah recounting the whole story to Olivia's grand-daughter who looks just like her even though they aren't genetically related.

That whole scene was so bizarre! When I was watching I remember wondering if they were going to do that weird time jump thing all season and thinking if they do-- I'm out. I also felt like the jump ahead in time gave away so many spoilers. 

48 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Yikes!   Yeah, I don't know what episode I'm on--I think we're in Season 4.   This probably doesn't help: a description of Saturday's (tomorrow's) show.    Sarah's annoyance at an invasion of her privacy turns to anger. 

I don't mind if I read "spoilers" here.  As far as I remember, Regina has not shot the officer yet--and it's okay with me to know that.

Yeah, I was like what is going on when the show started back. It wasn't to hard to figure out. PBS probably did show the episodes in order and I just missed them. I did quit the show for a bit, but I didn't quit it for so long that I would have missed all of S3. IDK I think I've seen some of S3, but I really have no idea.

The description: Sarah's annoyance at an invasion of her privacy turns to anger reminds me of season 1. Where Doris snoops in Sarah's rooms and finds out that Sarah is not her real name. Sarah is angry over the invasion of her privacy and refuses to answer Jack's questions. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1

So happy to see this listed as a forum.   Love the show.   There was a story about the show was cancelled then started up again because it was so popular.  And they had to scurry around to produce it.  I think it messed up one part of it accidently and caused some confusion, but don't remember the details.  I watched on Netflix, not sure if PBS carries it where I live.....this was news to me. I will have to check out.   If it is on PBS, I would happily watch again.     I like Jack, the Doctor, a lot.   In real life he is married to the wild and crazy (in a good way) artist  woman who plays Elizabeth's daughter.   I forget her name, it's been a long time since I saw it.   Elizabeth is amazing.   Just when you want to strangle her, and realize how mean she is, she puts on that smirk  that I want to slap off her face.    Such a conniver. The actress is phenomenal.  She always made me think of one of our great actresses who's name escapes me.  Gosh, getting older is for the birds.  I will think of it as soon as I hit send!!!  Oops, I just did.  Kathy Bates.

Also, I meant to add that the whole cast is terrific.   Regina was great but bored with the plot, she sure added a lot to the story.    I agree with everyone else about Gino.   I would have liked him a lot more if had not turned into a domineering so and so to Anna.  She deserved better

• Love 1
(edited)

I was so glad to see a forum for this show!  It is the soapiest of soaps but a lot of fun, especially s4.

I'm going to support Gino, although he annoys me a lot.  I think he's typical of a 50s man, especially one from a patriarchal society.  He wants his land, and he wants a biological son.  I also sympathize for his feelings about the Blighs who happily trade in lies and seem to buy their way into anything they want.  Gino is a simple man and he hates the subterfuge (including using Rose who he likes as a person) even as he loved Anna.  Anna was right, Rose would be the perfect woman for him.

Since I started watching in s4, I find Elizabeth awesome. I don't think I would have liked her in previous seasons when she was dominating everyone to get her way.  Poor James, but that treatment for homosexuality was typical. He's lucky he didn't get a lobotomy.

The character I have difficulty liking is George. I know he's supposed to be the romantic hero but he's too arbitrary, too officious for my liking.

Regina is a real "love to hate" character and kudos to the actress for that. IMO Sir Richard can leave now.

On 2017-06-30 at 1:52 PM, Fireball said:

I was a bit confused on the finale when Olivia said that staying gave her a purpose. What purpose exactly was she talking about? The purpose of keeping James's secret?

If I were to meet Olivia in real life, we'd have nothing to talk about.  But I so appreciate how she is written her.  So typical of many 50s woman who only saw themselves through the lens of their men.  She thought her marriage to James was her happy ending, and then found out that he is gay. Then she broke society's rules with her painter, only to realize he was just using her.  She tries so hard but her imagination of herself is so limited, so circumscribed by her environment.

I think Olivia's purpose came out of her conversation with Sarah, and is something we'll only find out next season.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

There are 45 episodes in the first four seasons/series.

According to some media sources I found through Google, season five began filming in February, so the next season/series will air later this year.

Spoiler

Season five takes place four years after the season four finale, in 1958.

(edited)

Season five will time jump to 1958, where four years have passed since we left Sarah (Marta Dusseldorp) and the Bligh family.

Those four years have seen ever increasing changes in Australian society.

The world of wealth and privilege is being eroded, moral values are fraying and a new young generation is rising, full of disaffection with the world of their elders.

To them the War is a matter of the dead past, bringing conflict with those who suffered its pain and deprivation.

Economic change and the devious actions of unseen enemies threaten Ash Park.

While friends become bitter rivals and former enemies become unlikely allies.

And in the midst of the turmoil, love becomes the only sure place anyone can call home.

Such a lot of words -- and basically giving nothing away.

I guess James, Anna and Gino (if he's still around) are going to be the younger generation.  David is still going to be a bit young to cause such turmoil.

Sounds like Sir Richard is going to still be around, twirling his mustache.

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, statsgirl said:

Such a lot of words -- and basically giving nothing away.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the article.  The only thing they gave away was the time jump.  

Spoiler

I wonder if Sarah & George will be married when the show starts up; four years is more then enough time to divorce Regina.

Edited by Fireball

James had finished university when the series began, so 1958 would be 6 years later, making him 27 or 28. As to George and Regina, divorce would depend on the law at the time. Don't think Australia had modernized its divorce laws then, any more than in the U.S. (that didn't come until the 1960s) and it would also likely depend on if Regina had been tried and convicted on any criminal charges. Both might be difficult if she were still under institutional care for mental illness.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, theschnauzers said:

As to

Spoiler

George and Regina,

divorce would depend on the law at the time. Don't think Australia had modernized its divorce laws then, any more than in the U.S. (that didn't come until the 1960s) and it would also likely depend on

Spoiler

if Regina had been tried and convicted on any criminal charges. Both might be difficult if she were still under institutional care for mental illness.

Of course, I really should have realized that getting a divorce wouldn't be easy. Am I remembering wrong that

Spoiler

George told Sarah all she had to do was say the word and he would divorce Regina? If he did I wonder why he thought it would be as easy as just deciding to divorce Regina.

I guess the question will be is Sarah living with George when he's still married to Regina.

Edited by Fireball
(edited)

My PBS station, WNED, just finished season 4 and is doing re-runs in the afternoon.

I only started watching this last season. What I wish I had know:

Spoiler

Sarah met George and the other Blighs on a ship returning to Australia.  George fell for her.  Elizabeth opposed the pairing and she was the one who brought in Regina, the sister of George's dead wife, to break up George and Sarah.  Anna is the biological daughter of Caroline but Caroline was unmarried and she gave Anna to her brother and his wife to raise.

This show does a good job of reminding me of just how strong the hold of the Catholic Church was in the 50s.  Sara gets fired for saying that it wasn't the Jews who killed Christ but the Romans.  It wasn't until the Second Vatican Council in the mid 60s that Pope Paul IV repudiated it. 

Also Gina saying that he can't divorce Anna because he would be ex-communicated.  Probably true too. I wanted to marry in the Catholic Church in the 80s and couldn't unless his marriage was annulled, in spite of the existence of two children.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Fireball said:

Of course, I really should have realized that getting a divorce wouldn't be easy. Am I remembering wrong that George told Sarah all she had to do was say the word and he would divorce Regina? If he did I wonder why he thought it would be as easy as just deciding to divorce Regina.

Maybe he had an annulment in mind at the time, since the marriage was never consummated and they didn't live as man and wife

Spoiler

(except when Regina drugged and raped him or just drugged him and pretended they had sex--I forget the exact events.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

A four year time jump seems strange.  Maybe they need it to settle the Regina question and put Sir Richard's plan in place.

When I first read about the four year time jump, my first thought was well that gives the writers an out it any of the actors don't want to come back.

• Love 1

Where I am it's airing Sundays at 7 pm after the baking show.  I must have missed some episodes.  I remember the blonde nurse returning to Australia on a ship and saving this closeted gay guy from suicide. Then there was a whole lot of soapy drama about his marriage and his mother being nasty to blonde nurse for no good reason at all.  And a couple of weeks ago I saw an episode where the nasty matriarch had a heart attack.

It's unfortunate that Masterpiece didn't bring this show under its umbrella, because people are getting random episodes depending on their area. One of my local stations is MPT and they aired the third and fourth episodes from the fourth series last Thursday. The fourth episode was when the Prime Minister visited Ash Park. As much as I can't stand Regina (a mustache-twirler if there ever was one), that red dress she was wearing during dinner was gorgeous.

• Love 1

I'm working my way through the much anticipated season 4, just finished the fourth episode, and while I know there are 8 more episode in which things can (and will) go awry,

Spoiler

I'm over the moon at Regina getting the verbal bitch slapping from both Elizabeth and George, and at Sir Richard's stabbing.  Too bad Elizabeth didn't aim lowering with that one, though.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Popples said:

The fourth episode was when the Prime Minister visited Ash Park. As much as I can't stand Regina (a mustache-twirler if there ever was one), that red dress she was wearing during dinner was gorgeous.

Regina does have some gorgeous dresses! 

• Love 3

The dark hair does make her look suitably evil.  But it took me half a dozen episode to be able to differentiate Regina from Carolyn.  Looks like I'm not the only one, the middle picture in that article, captioned as "Jenni"  is Sara Wiseman, not Jenni Baird.

• Love 2

Whoever is responsible for dressing the cast has a dream job!  I especially love Carolyn's progressive style of dress.   

What American show(s) would u compare it to?

• Love 1

I think many of the clothes are gorgeous.  Anna's red and blue suit, most of Georgina's dresses, and I thought Carolyn's wedding dress, with removable train I hope, was brilliant.

2 hours ago, alegria said:

What American show(s) would u compare it to?

Well...Mad Men was pretty good.  I started as a stenographer in 1959...and my clothes were well represented in Mad Men's ongoing seasons.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The dark hair does make her look suitably evil.  But it took me half a dozen episode to be able to differentiate Regina from Carolyn.  Looks like I'm not the only one, the middle picture in that article, captioned as "Jenni"  is Sara Wiseman, not Jenni Baird.

I noticed that too! I'm was thinking why is there a picture of Jack and Carolyn?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/2/2017 at 8:30 PM, theschnauzers said:

James had finished university when the series began, so 1958 would be 6 years later, making him 27 or 28. As to George and Regina, divorce would depend on the law at the time. Don't think Australia had modernized its divorce laws then, any more than in the U.S. (that didn't come until the 1960s) and it would also likely depend on if Regina had been tried and convicted on any criminal charges. Both might be difficult if she were still under institutional care for mental illness.

i agree with you, TheSchnauzers.

also, a storyline set in 1958 might be more interesting than one set in 1954.

Last season, Anna's hair and clothing was visibly updated in order to become more adult.  

Hopefully, the show should benefit from their ideas!

On a different note, Regina looks awful in the picture on the Foxtel page!  Woah!

Edited by alegria
7 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Well...Mad Men was pretty good.  I started as a stenographer in 1959...and my clothes were well represented in Mad Men's ongoing seasons.

I loved Mad Men!  I grew up in the 70s and totally related to the clothing selections on MM.

People just seem to forget about the space race and the moon landing.  Sad.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, statsgirl said:

I agree, that the dark hair color does suit evil Regina. I do find it interesting that we associate dark hair as looking evil.  It probably has to do with the TV trope of dark=evil & light=good. I can't think of a movie or show that I watched as a kid that didn't have the villain have dark hair. So having evil Regina have dark hair visually makes sense; you know right away that the dark haired Regina is going to be evil, mean, and selfish, while the light haired Sarah is going to be good and innocent. 

Edited by Fireball

The only light-haired villain I can think of is The White Witch in Narnia.  But she was white because of winter.

Good point that the heroine very often is blonde.  The idea that light = good and dark = bad has been around a long long time.  Maybe it's because nightmare things live in shadows.  But in mythology, evil things are almost always dark.

Other old tropes:  The Latin for right is dextra, and for left it's sinistra giving us dexterous and sinister.  Left-handed people are sinister.  And then there's the line from Keats "Beauty is truth and truth beauty", implying that ugly things are false and untruthful.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The idea that light = good and dark = bad has been around a long long time.  Maybe it's because nightmare things live in shadows.  But in mythology, evil things are almost always dark.

I should have said the TV trope of dark hair = evil & light hair = good. You are right that light = good and dark = bad has been around a long time, and that dark = evil/bad most likely comes from associations with the darkness of night. 

44 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Good point that the heroine very often is blonde.  

I read a book about American stereotypes on women and their conclusion was that blondes weren't seen as dumb, but as more beautiful, pleasing, pleasant, feminine, trustworthy than dark haired women. Basing a persons trustworthiness on hair color is just a weird concept to me, but maybe this is part of the reason heroines are more often blonde. 

I watched all the seasons through Acorn.  By the end of Season 4, I was kind of getting bored.   Regina had gotten so over the top in her villain role that her continued involvement with the family didn't seem plausible, and short of her blowing up the apartment complex...err Ash Park...there wasn't a lot more to do with her.    

I also really hated Gino.  I realized that aside from the first season's forbidden romance, the writers really had no idea what to do with he and Anna as a couple, so they made him into a huge jerk as a way to finally get him off the show.  

I really did like Sarah.  She doesn't put up with any crap, and I think I could watch her slap Regina over and over.  I also liked how her relationship with Elizabeth developed, even if I did think they really, really mellowed out Elizabeth after the first season, and perhaps gave a lot of her old character traits to Regina.      

• Love 2

bizzare one-time framing element of Sarah recounting the whole story to Olivia's grand-daughter who looks just like her even though they aren't genetically related.

I was thinking maybe Olivia eventually has other children with someone else.  I don't think it was said that the granddaughter was the product of her first son, or that she couldn't get pregnant again after the problems with her first pregnancy.  I also have to think there will eventually come a time when she just officially divorces James so she can move on with her life.  I'd think it would really suck for her to have to stick around Ash Park while her husband is off playing house with someone else.   

And I forgot to mention my favorite cheesey moment: Where Olivia is looking at her wedding album and realizes when she puts her thumb over her face in the picture that James and her brother have somehow chosen this particular picture to stare longingly at each other (while everyone else in the picture is looking forward). 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

By the end of Season 4, I was kind of getting bored.   Regina had gotten so over the top in her villain role that her continued involvement with the family didn't seem plausible, and short of her blowing up the apartment complex...err Ash Park...there wasn't a lot more to do with her.    

I agree, I got kind of bored with the show; I quit watching for awhile. Regina just stayed too long imo which is why I really hope she doesn't have such a big role in the coming season. If season 5 turns out to be more Regina drama I think I'll be out.

8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I really did like Sarah.  She doesn't put up with any crap, and I think I could watch her slap Regina over and over.  I also liked how her relationship with Elizabeth developed, even if I did think they really, really mellowed out Elizabeth after the first season, and perhaps gave a lot of her old character traits to Regina.      

I was way more interested in the Sarah & Elizabeth relationship than I was in the Sarah & George relationship. I agree, that they really mellowed Elizabeth as the show went on.

• Love 2

We've based our opinions of people on their appearance for millenia, like the Keats lines of beauty is trush.  A friend of mine told me that he was canvassing for a politician and was told by one man "I'd never vote for him, he walks funny."

Pretty stupid of us as a species though.

I agree, I got kind of bored with the show; I quit watching for awhile. Regina just stayed too long imo which is why I really hope she doesn't have such a big role in the coming season. If season 5 turns out to be more Regina drama I think I'll be out.

At some point, it's just like: "How crazy and evil can she be and still remain a person who can exist within the reality of the show?" 

• Love 2