Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: A New Baby

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Didn't Jill get a similar ho-hum response to her pregnancy announcement in an episode earlier this season? The Duggs want it both ways: breed like rabbits *and* every single pregnancy must also be a Big Freaking Deal, although they seem to assume every married woman of childbearing age will be pregnant as often as possible. How speshul. Or not.

She did yes, with that stupid t-shirt reveal and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about their reactions. If you consider birthdays, anniversaries, births and weddings, it's practically someone's special day every other week in that family. I'm reminded of that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine flipped out over her co-workers constantly bringing cakes to the office for every minor celebration under the sun. I imagine the Duggar horde has the same attitude towards the endless stream of forced festivities.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Poor Jinger - married about two months and her sisters are already looking for the baby news.  Please, even if she's your sister just don't ask!  I think from her and Jer's interviews and from Jinger's face when they asked; the real answer that she's thinking but can't say is we have no baby plans for the near future.  But that would be close to admitting they're using family planning and some sort of birth control and I don't think she'll ever share that even with Jessa.  The family can assume or suspect but it'll never be said out loud.

I don't recall, but did Jin and Jer say the magic words at their wedding about God deciding how many kids they would have?

• Love 2

Absolom/floridamom:  Whew!   If they didn't say it, it doesn't exist.  They may carry on with their natural family planning, or pills, or common sense.  No hellfire for them.

• Love 3
(edited)

Another thing I noticed: when Derrick and Ben were mocking JB for stringing the guys along when they ask for his permission to get engaged, they were both pretty spot on with their impersonations.

The difference, however, was Jill the Favorite Snitch gazing up adoringly and laughing uncomfortably at Derrick's impression.  Wide eyed, teeth shown, giggles, the whole nine yards.  Jessa looked less than amused at Ben.  I love that she can bitch face at her husband and not care.  It frustrates me that they're surrounded by her family because I think they could thrive if they had the means to. 

Edit: But I don't want them near JinJer yet. Jing seems to be having fun without her family watching her and I don't want her to regress when Alpha Jessa shows up.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Anyone know how much a house-flipper makes in Arkansas?  Just curious.

The houses there seem to be as cheap as chips. Having said that, unless you can re-locate for good wages, I don't see anyone wanting to move there.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Seeing Spooge blissfully rocking in the swing cracked my cold black heart... a little.

Jill, you dolt, you had a camera crew with you at the  for sale house...so you and Jesse weren't exactly alone.

shh, we're supposed to believe the bullshit. They are a family on tv, not a tv family. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Morbid curiosity of how these robokids turned out keeps me tuned in now that they severely limit Chelle's, Blob's on screen time  and have banished the oldest J from the camera.

Spooge's thought cloud in the swing...Get that camera out of my face so I can get my swing on.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Seeing Spooge blissfully rocking in the swing cracked my cold black heart... a little.

Jill, you dolt, you had a camera crew with you at the  for sale house...so you and Jesse weren't exactly alone.

Yeah, those cameras build muscle hauling them around, haha. Plus they probably had at least one teamster.

Damn you Jessa for getting me to actually like you.

At least Jessa is turning out to be a caring mother and loves Spurgie to death. We don't see that with Jilly. Jilly is completely lost were as Jessa gained the back muscle missing from Michelle as well as the love of babies. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Jessa is pretty savvy. She seemed to try to cover for Jill. She explained how they needed Jill and Derick's advice, even though TLC was running the bizarre scene of Derp lifting Izzy into the air and down again. There ya go Bin, who has a truckload of younger siblings, and Jessa who has even more younger siblings, all you need to do is lift your kid up and down...parenting class is now out of session.  Jessa has done this intervention for Jill before; Jessa tried to cover for Jill's freak out in DA by saying how dangerous it is down there. Jessa was also saving herself and separating herself from her idiot sisters Jill and Joy. She tried to tell them not to ask about pregnancy and Jessa even flat old gave the same reasons we've seen on this board for why it was inappropriate. This might all come from Jeremy's influence on Jinger which influenced Jessa. I think the family is hoping Jessa can drag Jill into favour, but it isn't going to work. Jill and Derp are smug and unlikeable. 

Yup, she's desperately trying to keep the show going. Remember, it was originally called "Jill and Jessa: Counting On". She knew damn well those questions were coming, she made it sound like she wanted no part of that discussion.....so she covered for the dopey sisters. Wow, does she read the boards .... ((waves ....hi Jessa Blessa)

11 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I thought it was interesting that they stated multiple times how much Jessa hates being the center of attention.  Jana even snarked about the games that "she doesn't want to be embarrassed."

They really just need to hand this show over to Jessa, Spurgie, and Jinger.  They actually have personalities. 

OMG. I thought this was a joke at first. I don't think anyone likes attention MORE (well, maybe Jackson, who jockeys for it...and Josie, who constantly gets it). Jessa just wants to be in control of how it goes down.

I don't see one lick of difference in Jessa's vs Jill's mothering skills. Jessa is just media savvy and Jill isn't .  I think Derick is pretty snarky. Izzy just seems like  a smart, more introspective kid.

So poor Spurgeon Elliot has to be called Spurgeon, but Henry may be getting a nickname based off of Wilberforce? Please tell me I heard that wrong.

Please, no show starring Jessa, Spurgie, and Jinger. Not unless they do a crossover and Jazz becomes their nanny.

At the end, was that Cousin Amy worming her way into the scene by carrying Josie around? Way to work it, Amy!

• Love 9

My favourite part of the episode was the sassy director who responded to Jessa saying "you can't have a baby without the labour and delivery" with "you can adopt". Especially since Bin and Blessa go on and on about how God laid it in their hearts to adopt. 

• Love 9

This morning I looked for this episode on my Xfinity schedule and couldn't find it. I posted about that here. I looked again just now, and it now is available to watch On Demand. But still, TLC hasn't put any repeat episodes of Counting On, on its schedule. 

I found the episode's ratings: 1.554 million viewers, .36 share.

It's done worse. But TLC's treating it like a red-headed stepchild in terms of no repeat showings. I wonder if that's because it still seems to be anathema to sponsors and those ratings aren't translating into ad revenue for TLC. Someone noted above that the commercial breaks contain almost nothing except promos for TLC shows. 

TLC could be keeping this show in production in hopes that eventually Josh's radioactivity will fade with time and ad revenues will grow as memories fade. That's just my guess. I'm no expert on the teevee biz.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, DrFruitFly said:

My favourite part of the episode was the sassy director who responded to Jessa saying "you can't have a baby without the labour and delivery" with "you can adopt". Especially since Bin and Blessa go on and on about how God laid it in their hearts to adopt. 

As long as they keep having babies, they will not be allowed to adopt through most agencies.  There are many limitations on having children under the age of five in the home, how many children are in the home already, etc.  If they actually finished going to the adoption classes they attended, they should know what the rules are.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, drafan said:

Yup, she's desperately trying to keep the show going. Remember, it was originally called "Jill and Jessa: Counting On". She knew damn well those questions were coming, she made it sound like she wanted no part of that discussion.....so she covered for the dopey sisters. Wow, does she read the boards .... ((waves ....hi Jessa Blessa)

OMG. I thought this was a joke at first. I don't think anyone likes attention MORE (well, maybe Jackson, who jockeys for it...and Josie, who constantly gets it). Jessa just wants to be in control of how it goes down.

I don't see one lick of difference in Jessa's vs Jill's mothering skills. Jessa is just media savvy and Jill isn't .  I think Derick is pretty snarky. Izzy just seems like  a smart, more introspective kid.

So poor Spurgeon Elliot has to be called Spurgeon, but Henry may be getting a nickname based off of Wilberforce? Please tell me I heard that wrong.

Please, no show starring Jessa, Spurgie, and Jinger. Not unless they do a crossover and Jazz becomes their nanny.

At the end, was that Cousin Amy worming her way into the scene by carrying Josie around? Way to work it, Amy!

So many FU PTV moments.

I call bullshit on Jessa not wanting attention too. She is at the center of the show and inserts herself into the center of her family. IIRC, Jessa won the diapering contest at her first baby shower and wasn't shy at all. And this is said repeatedly during a show featuring her baby shower and her delivering her baby. Note to Jessa: when we say you're uncomfortable around folks that aren't your family, we're not calling you shy and quiet, we're calling you an insecure person who bullies those closest to you.

Jessa has been saving money to buy a house? And Jill needs a home base? Note to Jessa & Jill: we'll believe you're buying houses when one of our super sleuths ( @Kokapetl, @Mollie, @Sew Sumi) reports on the purchase.

JB stating twice that Joy and Austin have been getting-to-know/dating/courting for over a year prior to getting engaged. Note to JB: again, saying so doesn't make it true.

School of the Dining Room Table had a new vocabulary word: Transport. Note to Jessa: good job on the subtle comment that you wouldn't attempt home births if you were farther from the hospital.

A quick thank-you to the Duggars for confirming that there is a Jason.

A couple non-FU moments;

I saw Jinger's expression at not being pregnant as she was feeling sad she wasn't.

Jessa forgetting the cameras were around and tossing Spurge into the baby swing.

Jessa & Ben not discussing baby names: I go back and forth on this, thinking it's total bullshit and then thinking how sad it would be if they still were that uncomfortable, in their young marriage, that they couldn't express their opinions with each other about something so important as their child's name.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'll bet anything that whole collecting shower gifts to give to the less fortunate was simply to counteract all the "grifter Duggar" posts all over the internet. 

I agree. As everyone noted above, Jessa is the most media savvy of all the Duggar kids. She likely knows there's a large segment of the population who finds multiple showers distasteful, especially when the new baby is coming right on the heels of the last one. If the family was no longer on tv, I doubt they would've done the charity donations.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

I hesitate to judge the way anyone chooses to give birth, but if I were Jessa, there's no way in hell I'd have my second baby at home after such a traumatic, life-threatening first birth.  

You're so much kinder than I am.  I won't hesitate to judge OR come right out and say it:  She's a damn fool!

• Love 9

That abandoned house JB bought is incredible. Give me $50k and a couple of months with it -- I would save those gorgeous beams and stone floors and clean up that amazing pool. It would be one of the coolest houses in NWA! Disappointed but not at all surprised that Jill and Jessa didn't see the potential there (although I do understand seeing the pool as a negative if you plan to keep pumping out small children). 

• Love 12

I'm thinking someone takes notes while reading our posts and Jessa calls all family members to the living room at the TTH and they sit around strategizing. "Hey dad, isn't that ladies house vacant? Let's do a house buying FU". "Now Jill, you drive the car and act like an adult". "Jessa, keep up the good work with the mommy stuff". "JB, mention how long the kids have been dating when Austin asks for our blessing and make sure the camera men can't see my shoes during filming". Uhm, so, Derick and Ben ... try not to say much".  "Oh and lets pretend I'm modest and not have the TLC cameras kick in until 60 seconds after I deliver. We don't want an Anna-on-the-toilet thing again". "And NO MATTER WHAT THE TOPIC IS, NOBODY SAY DONATE! Lets practice a new word, the new word is transport. Anytime y'all feel the need to say DONATE, say transport!"

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

If he was one of the seven dwarves, he'd be Bashful - the one no one remembers.

Is he the one who fell in the orchestra pit? I thought he was really cute and I hope he is so unnoticed by the family that he gets to go to the bathroom to read Tom Sawyers, Salem's Lot, Harry Potter or Victoria's Secret catalogues.

This is the only reason I am ok with Mechelle abusing prescription meds (if she does), the younger children might be getting away with more than their older siblings. The third youngest girl was watching her sisters talk to Jinger like, "yeah, you are all idiots and I have bigger plans."

• Love 5
20 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Anyone know how much a house-flipper makes in Arkansas?  Just curious.

No way to know for sure, but I was looking at Zillow to see what's on the market in the Tonitown/Springdale area. Seems like the "regular" (not mansion, not new construction) homes are in the 200k-300k range -- more expensive than I'd expect, but it's also a market where it seems like nothing sells quick -- homes are on the market for 200 days; lots of price decreases etc. so I don't think house flipping is the easiest way to make a living. How much he makes depends on how much he picks up these houses for. It's very possible that he's buying homes for 200k, renovating kitchens, bathrooms and floors, and selling for 250k. If he's gotten lucky, he may have picked up one at a bank sale/as a foreclosure for 50k or something -- leading to a 100k or 200k profit. Though in any event, even if he has made 20k/house on 5 houses sure it isn't huge income, but for a Duggar son in law that's HUGE to come into a marriage with 100k in savings. Derick did a mission that likely paid nothing and then took a corporate job that he quit in a hot minute -- so it's not like he was coming in with savings. Bin -- 19 yrs old with no job. Jer - pretty sure low level professional soccer doesn't pay all that much, not to mention he was living on his own so he had to be using his money. It's likely that Austin walked into this marriage with a huge down payment for his own house. As one of Austin's friends said, everything he has done is to enable him to be a husband and father. I have to imagine he was living at home and saving every dollar so he could be all set for the financial responsibilities of being a headship.

• Love 7

I wonder who's jurisdiction the kitchen ovens are now.  When your oven smokes that bad, I think it needs cleaning.  

Watching this show is often like studying for an exam.  You know, when you repeat something over and over.  It really sticks with you.  Like how Jessa's hemorrhaging, really scared them last time.  And that Jessa was not looking forward to a long labor.  It was almost as bad as the number of times they say that it's sad that Jinger has abandoned her family and gone to Texas.  lol  It may be the way it's edited, but, man, they need to cut out some of the repetition.  

I did learn something new last night.  I've never heard of serving soup at a baby shower.  hmmm...It looked good.  

• Love 9
(edited)

Despicable Me, Addiction Network , and TLC show promos, are the only advertising I recall. How / why  is this still on?

ETA and Taco Bell! (Watching now)

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I checked out the Lily/Ellie Duggar Fan Blog and couldn't find Henry's birth.  Suggestions anyone?

They just posted the previews from TLC; they didn't have any special information other than they didn't name a midwife attending the birth, but a brunette in burgandy scrubs seemed to be there to weigh Hank once it was light, and the TLC crew showed up to film. 

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2017/06/henrys-tv-debut.html

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Watching this show is often like studying for an exam.  You know, when you repeat something over and over.  It really sticks with you.  Like how Jessa's hemorrhaging, really scared them last time.  And that Jessa was not looking forward to a long labor.   

I did learn something new last night.  I've never heard of serving soup at a baby shower.  hmmm...It looked good.  

JB's big gloppy paws are still all over this show......he believes bodily fluids = ratings, so they have to amp up the drama. I never for a second believed that Jessa was in grave danger after Spurgeon's birth.

Well, it was winter...so the soup sort of made sense. Bet it had an astronomical sodium count. And did I see Crisco getting scooped into "Mom's Famous Recipe Brownies". The secret ingredient is probably hair.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, asuwur said:

Ben clearly loves Jessa and his boys. I wish he had fought for a hospital birth though. I really hope that Jill grows a brain and isn't hoping for a VBAC homebirth. That would be really foolish.

Watching Ben with Jessa after Henry was born, stroking her face and kissing her, was possibly the first sighting of actual real adult love I've seen on this show, ever. The look on his face was just pure love and lovely to see. The other couples seem to either just love the idea of love or barely tolerate each other (looking at you, Jill and Derick). Jinger and Jeremy might be closer to Jessa and Ben, but I haven't seen enough of them to know. Poor Ben also looked terrified something was going to go wrong after Henry was born. I actually felt bad for him, the fear on his face was real. 

• Love 21
(edited)

I was surprised at Joy touching Austin's dad the way she did.  It wouldn't have been big deal among normal people but they're not normal. 

Ben is growing on me.  I think he's a doofus, but I think ten years from now he's going to be able to look back and laugh at his young doofus self.  I don't think anyone else on the show has the potential for that much personal growth.

Derick's teeth seem to be moving further and further to the side.  He needs to see another orthodontist for a second opinion.

Edited by Abmis
spelling
  • Love 14

I don't know how old Pa Forsyth is...late 50's/early 60's? He has the daughter from a previous relationship. One of her daughters was Joy's flower girl. At any rate, maybe she sees him as more of a grandpa figure, given his gray hair? I bet tomboy Joy acted like that with JL before his illness and eventual death. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

That abandoned house JB bought is incredible. Give me $50k and a couple of months with it -- I would save those gorgeous beams and stone floors and clean up that amazing pool. It would be one of the coolest houses in NWA! Disappointed but not at all surprised that Jill and Jessa didn't see the potential there (although I do understand seeing the pool as a negative if you plan to keep pumping out small children). 

I too liked the house. It needs some TLC and someone with a good eye & imagination (so anyone but a Duggar!) to make that a showplace. I adored the big stone floors. 

• Love 4

I was dreading that Jilly and Jesse were gonna be all Joanna Gaines like with that house but clearly they have no vision. They seemed to make fun of the house and not see any of the interesting features. Hopefully that is the last house hunters episode. We all know Jim Boob will decide where they will live next.

• Love 6

Jill and Derelict aren't going anywhere. They'll stay in the GUEST house when they have their intermittent stays in the States. Lord knows they'll live there more than Danger America most years....IF they keep up this "mission" charade for much longer. IMO, it just doesn't seem sustainable beyond two kids unless the third is born about 4 years after Sammy. 

• Love 4

I haven't watched this show in quite awhile....that being said.  What.In.The.Goddamn.Hell happened to Derrick?????   Seriously, is it even the same person.  When they first got married I thought their was hope for Jill.  But Dear God, he's turned into a scroungy, dirty, emaciated mess.  And she's right behind him.

Am I in an alternate universe?  I actually really like Jessa now.  And Ben no longer is as dumb as a rock.    His silly comments now just come off as 'young'.  But he's a good husband.  Jessa and Ben seem normal!!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

. We all know Jim Boob will decide where they will live next.

I know, isn't it cute how they're acting like they have a say in where they live? They'll be in the Mold House until Boob upgrades them. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Jesse and Ben-  they seem to really love each other at this point and she is a good mother.  Loved seeing Spurgeon in the swing.  He was enjoying himself.  Jill and Derick tolerate each other and Israel.  I hope Jill develops sudden infertility after the birth of this next baby.

Speaking of Spurgeon, I can't believe I am saying this... he is sooo adorable...as a result his name has grown on me.  I don't love it but I sorta like it now but only for him.  Hard to explain.  He is all sorts of Spurgie-cuteness!

Jana had too much tanning crap on. don't think she is dating, don't she is interested.

Joy is bland.  She reminds me of oatmeal with no fixings.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 24
On 6/26/2017 at 8:18 PM, woodscommaelle said:

Jana threw Spurgeon into the swing. Holy crap. That was not gentle. 

I actually found that rather impressive how she just tossed him up and in like that lol 

On 6/26/2017 at 10:43 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Hank is a nickname for Henry! Unless she's so stupid as to not know that, which she may well have been when they named him. 

She does know that... that's why she said he would not be called Hank.    My cousin's name is Michael.  When he was born my aunt was VERY adamant that he would NEVER be called Mike.  

23 hours ago, Snickerdoodle said:

The only reason i son I watched this last night was because I was visiting my mom. I made the comment about how I felt bad for Jana. My mom's thoughts were that Jana is the prettiest of the older girls and it's a shame.  But then she said maybe Jana's the smart one by not becoming a baby making machine. 

I fully believe that if Jana wanted to leave.. she would have.  Look at how quickly Joy got outta dodge.   I think Jana is probably really shy but they're around enough people that if she REALLY REALLY wanted out, she would have found someone that would be good enough in her eyes. 

23 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Poor Joy, she's got her first (and last) real boy crush.  I thought it was funny that Austin thought it would be safer to get married sooner? 

I thought that was an odd comment... a short engagement would be safer? 

19 hours ago, Absolom said:

Can I please not have to see Derick again or at least not in talking heads? 

Poor Jill.. she ended up marrying the guy who thinks he's a comedian but he just sounds more dumb the more he talks.

18 hours ago, Mollie said:

As long as they keep having babies, they will not be allowed to adopt through most agencies.  There are many limitations on having children under the age of five in the home, how many children are in the home already, etc.  If they actually finished going to the adoption classes they attended, they should know what the rules are.  

Eh, my cousin and her husband were able to easily adopt 2 kids when they already had 4 younger kids. So I don't think they would be denied much at all. Easily in that they were approved what I think was rather quickly.  However the actual process took a couple of years because of politics with the other country. 

14 hours ago, Abmis said:

I was surprised at Joy touching Austin's dad the way she did.  It wouldn't have been big deal among normal people but they're not normal. 

I was surprised and impressed with the way she acted around Austin's dad.  She seemed very comfortable around him which I think was nice.

• Love 7