Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: A New Baby

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Anyone know how much a house-flipper makes in Arkansas?  Just curious.

Wrong quote box. Never mind. 

22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So did TLC film the birth, or was it grainy cell phone footage like they showed during labor?

It was the grainy cell phone footage. 

Ben clearly loves Jessa and his boys. I wish he had fought for a hospital birth though. I really hope that Jill grows a brain and isn't hoping for a VBAC homebirth. That would be really foolish.

I don't see any of these kids producing 19 though.

Jinger really looks like a woman with no immediate maternal aspirations. She's happy and busy in TX and blessedly diaper free. Jill can't comprehend the thought of a woman not wanting to be a fulltime broodmare.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Ok seriously, there's a Justin? Who knew?

He's kind of cute too. 

How old is Wilburforce? If Jill was at the birth, and she has been home for a while, how long was she in DA? 

• Love 1

Wilberforce was born in early February, before the Dullards made their last DONATE!!!! trip to Danger America. They were only there about three months. This stint back in the states for maternity leave will be longer than their last "work" assignment. Derick really needs to look at some temp agencies, but of course that will make Jill panic and cry despite all of the mini J-Slave help she has next door at the TTH. 

• Love 5
(edited)

When they initially talked about the baby shower didn't they say they invited 150? I thought it was funny how Joy tried to downplay it and say it was 100 invites after only 60 people showed up. That food spread looked like it would barely feed 30, so it's probably a good thing everyone blew it off.

Note to Joy and Austin: Publicly admitting you could care less about workmanship isn't a good idea when you're trying to make money flipping houses.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, awaken said:

A houseful of adults and no one can clean an oven. 

Maybe when Jana marries, they'll spring for a self-cleaning one?

I get the feeling that Ben and Jessa would have both prefered she give birth in a hospital but were talked out of it by her family.

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that they stated multiple times how much Jessa hates being the center of attention.  Jana even snarked about the games that "she doesn't want to be embarrassed."  I think that her disdain for attention, combined with her wanting to give her donations to mothers in need and being worried about this birth shows a great deal of self awareness. Jessa seems very uncomfortable and out of her element at times. I wonder if it's because she hates attention and wonders what people will say or that she knows what people say about her and so she takes steps to correct it.  Like when she immediately blurted out "I told them not to ask!" during the FaceTime session and later explained a few decent reasons why you SHOULDN'T bombard a woman with pregnancy questions.  Whether she's saving face or just trying to be better for herself, I think self awareness is a big deal with this bunch.

Spurgie was not here for that baby being in Mommy's lap and he hated that he couldn't touch it.   Jessa and Ben were great with him and letting him adjust normally. I'm glad that he's allowed to throw fits and be kind of bratty.  He's almost like a normal toddler. Imagine that. 

They really just need to hand this show over to Jessa, Spurgie, and Jinger.  They actually have personalities. 

• Love 18
13 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

The odd part is...didn't Michelle deliver her kids in hospitals?  What's with all the home births?  Especially when they've had some major complications.

Jim Boob probably has health insurance from having a job and has her covered--since none of the husband's have any real jobs they probably can't afford the hospital bill they'd get strapped with and JB isn't about to pay for those bills either.

• Love 2

Jessa and TLC... shut Jill up.

Jill's a detached mother who is neglecting to nurture her son and the will neglect the one to be born.

Jessa needs to foster mother Izz and BabyDilly 2...Iz  looks like a kid failing to thrive.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, otterrr said:

Jim Boob probably has health insurance from having a job and has her covered--since none of the husband's have any real jobs they probably can't afford the hospital bill they'd get strapped with and JB isn't about to pay for those bills either.

I don't think so. AFAIK, Jim Boob hasn't been an employee since he was (for a very brief few years) a member of the Arkansas state legislature. He's always been an entrepreneur, in real estate and used cars. Any business entity from which he gets income - he owns. Or he's an investor, vendor, or some kind of independent contractor. I suppose he could be an employee of one of his own businesses. But I don't see him spending money on health insurance, except some bare minimum.

I don't know how he paid for Michelle's deliveries, but I think all except two or three of them were in hospitals. Maybe in their fertility heyday times, he did have some health insurance that covered pregnancy and childbirth. However, except for his short time as a state legislator, any health insurance plan would have been his responsibility to obtain - more than just signing up as an employee on an existing plan offered by an employer. 

About this series. I'm so convinced that TLC is just phoning it in when it comes to this show. I was traveling, didn't set the DVR, and missed the chance to see this episode when it aired last night. So, here at home this early morning, I looked for it. The Xfinity onscreen guide shows that "S4 - Triple Date Night" and "S4 Ep2 - Spurgeon's First Birthday" are available On Demand. It also shows upcoming new episodes on July 3 and July 10: "S4 Ep4 - A Boy or Girl for Jill?" and "S4 Ep5 - Joy Gets Engaged." And that's it. S4 Ep3, which was what they showed last night? Isn't even in the lineup. Not On Demand, not nowhere. 

So, they didn't even give the "Triple Date Night" episode an episode number although it must be Ep1 - the listing is just "S4." They aren't running repeats of any of these episodes at all, and last night's episode isn't even available On Demand. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3

Well, that attempt at a gender reveal was quite the pathetic moment. Not just because the balloon release didn't work, but because a handful of kids standing in a warehouse looking disinterested with two bags of balloons hanging low over their heads does not a good celebration make. If I had been stage-managing it, I'd have rounded up a few more people and found a way to hang the balloons near the ceiling. I saw a similar reveal recently (a Roloff baby maybe?) where they were able to work up a little more excitement.

I only watched the last few minutes and didn't really dislike anyone. Did snicker when Bin said he wouldn't have made a good soldier. No kidding.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

''Joy's content with whatever life throws at her.''  Fuck you, Austin - even if it's true.  (Ugh the way he said it too. I just can't.)

That's how I would describe my dog. 

• Love 18

"what kind of brother will Spurgeon be?" --- 

one dull J boy - "older brother"

"joy and I's paths have been crossed by the Lord"  

just some random quotes that have stuck with me overnight.

• Love 11

I agree about the uneventful balloon drop.  Definitely TLC inspired.  I guess having Josiah (or whatever Duggar male it was) be in charge instead of Jana or Joy  was another FU internet moment--males can do something in their family.  They kept making a big deal how the younger ones would like it.  Josie is the youngest and at 7, she didn't seem too excited.  The M Kids would have been the age range they were going for & they weren't there. (I realize it was early morning.)

Did anyone else catch Josie sitting on the counter in the utility kitchen during the shower prep? 

I know we discussed it before when the shower originally happened, but I'm still figuring out why a mother-to-be  mom in need would need a scratch pad in a fancy gift bag with chocolates thrown in.

I know it's for the drama, but most of the shower prep could have been done a day ahead of time.  Oh for the ultimate drama, let's have Sierra make  brownies from scratch at the last minute. 

Jessa & Ben actually grew on me during this episode, I'm shocked. 

I would definitely not want an Austin Joy makeover house. If they showed them messing up the tile on the 5th house flip,  what else was done wrong they didn't show?  They really seemed perplexed about the floor problem.   BTW, aren't the Duggar girls a whiz at laying tile?  Austin surely needed Jana's help. 

Oh my, about the JB house Jill & Jessa toured.  An indoor pool with the house built around it in a U-shape?? I wonder how much it cost. It definitely needs a lot  work & I'm sure it's mold infested with the pool.  It sounded like JB has owned it for awhile.  Why aren't the kidadults working on it since they have plenty of time to spare?  Maybe this can be House #6 for Austin & Joy.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

I kind of loved it when Jinger confessed that she doesn't want to be around women in labour, and only offered support to Jessa during Spurgeon's birth by making coffee and throwing snacks at her from a distance through the door.

I also loved that. I am enjoying ( i know ugh) seeing Jessa and Jinger. They are the only two people I have ANY interest in watching. I think Jess should hightail it to Laredo.  they also seem like they genuinely love each other. I don't get that vibe from ANYONE else in that family- not even between most spouses ( aside from Jess and Jinger with Bn and Jer) and obviously not between Michelle and any of the kids lol

Jill and Joy make me uncomfortable for a myriad of reasons.  Jana is going to snap one day. 

I think TLC would have a successful show with just Jessa and Jinger, far far away from the rest of the Duggar loons.

• Love 19
(edited)

Jana has already emotionally and 90% mentally checked out of her family...but she knows which side her bread is buttered...

TLC producers wanted Jana in all the staged chores they  filmed for this show so she wraps an infinity scarf around her neck and gets it done.

Have Jana help Jess yanking stuff out of a closet and standing near her sis as the 9 month pregnant lady gets something from a high cabinet then reading from a written check list...hohum....

Betcha they have a producer in charge of keeping Cheele and Blob out of the camera frame except for their 5 seconds per episode. Zip ties and duct tape for their mouths...

Guessing Jesse texts Jinge at least 30-50 times/day... Jinge replies with emojios.

Jesse having emotions...must be frightening and confusing for the rest of them.

Joy looks distressed and  unsetttled because she is feeling something for Austoon but she knows it isn't something she's been brainwashed to register in her pea brain.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Oh my, about the JB house Jill & Jessa toured.  An indoor pool with the house built around it in a U-shape?? I wonder how much it cost. It definitely needs a lot  work & I'm sure it's mold infested with the pool.  It sounded like JB has owned it for awhile.  Why aren't the kidadults working on it since they have plenty of time to spare?  Maybe this can be House #6 for Austin & Joy.

That house could be used as a horror movie set, the flagstone floors, the glass walls, the green glass around one of the doors, the weird pit in front of the fireplace (obviously where the last owner buried the bodies of those nosy kids).  Not sure what the point was, to pretend the girls were house shopping, to show what a "find" JB invested in or will we get a future show with the howlers fixing it up while wearing flip flops.  Jill finally said something fully intelligent when she saw how dark and creepy it was and said she wished they'd brought the guys.

Poor Jinger - married about two months and her sisters are already looking for the baby news.  Please, even if she's your sister just don't ask!  I think from her and Jer's interviews and from Jinger's face when they asked; the real answer that she's thinking but can't say is we have no baby plans for the near future.  But that would be close to admitting they're using family planning and some sort of birth control and I don't think she'll ever share that even with Jessa.  The family can assume or suspect but it'll never be said out loud.

Why are all the girls so lost when they marry?  It's "quiet", and "I didn't know what to do with my time" - how about take a class and expand your world beyond the dining table classroom, get your real midwife certification <jill>, volunteer, take up a hobby, join a women's book club or exercise class. Try to overcome the programming that your whole life must be taking care of husband, home and children.

I never thought Joy was dim, maybe she didn't get enough screen time until now.  She can use those power tools even if they screw up the floor so she's not totally dumb she's just......would we call it slow on the uptake?  But then she says that Austin can't do two things at once and can't even talk while he's doing that one thing?  This does not bode well - their married life communication should be - interesting

Edited to add:  Also the camera showing Jana when Jinger talked about boyfriends.  Had to be a TLC tease or an FU Internet moment, as much as we root for a free Jana outcome there's no way that girl is courting.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 4

There was several really sweet moments in this episode. Hank's birth, James cuddling with Spurge and Izzy in the rocking chair, Izzy thinking everyone had basketballs in their bellies, Spurge relaxing in the swing, Jessa so obviously missing Jinger. If they cut out all the rehash and filler, this could actually be a decent show.

Regarding James though, I'm always struck by how much he looks like Deanna. You'd swear he was her kid instead of Boob's.

• Love 10

Does everyone keep their rubbing alcohol & heating pad in a kitchen cabinet above their fridge like Jessa does?  For being a small house & needing every available space for storage, there  didn't seem to be anything else in the cabinet.  Strange all around.  I'm thinking it was all for TV, having all the birthing supplies readily available in the kitchen. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Jill walking into that house:  Why didn't we bring our husbands with us?  This place is scary. 

What in the fuck do you think that weak, gangly husband of yours would do you silly woman?  And that polka dot skirt could have been super cute but it looked terrible on Jill.

Jessa's snark on the middle-of-the-house pool was pretty funny. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 14
13 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Jill walking into that house:  Why didn't we bring our husbands with us?  This place is scary. 

What in the fuck do you think that weak, gangly husband of yours would do you silly woman?  And that polka dot skirt could have been super cute but it looked terrible on Jill.

Lmfaooo, right? Hell, I'd put my money on heavily pregnant Jessa being able to defend me over spindly Derick. You could push that dude over with your finger.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

There was several really sweet moments in this episode. Hank's birth, James cuddling with Spurge and Izzy in the rocking chair, Izzy thinking everyone had basketballs in their bellies, Spurge relaxing in the swing, Jessa so obviously missing Jinger. If they cut out all the rehash and filler, this could actually be a decent show.

Regarding James though, I'm always struck by how much he looks like Deanna. You'd swear he was her kid instead of Boob's.

Well Deanna and JB are full siblings, so that's not an oddity. Many people look like their same sex uncle/aunt. 

As obessed as people are with "sex" they cannot say "the baby's sex".....they have to use "gender". ?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Well Deanna and JB are full siblings, so that's not an oddity. Many people look like their same sex uncle/aunt. 

As obessed as people are with "sex" they cannot say "the baby's sex".....they have to use "gender". ?

My blonde, blue-eyed oldest daughter looks like my brother, and my younger brunette, brown-eyed daughter looks like my Italian-American husband's brother.  They are both pretty girls.

Maybe Jessa will have a conversation with Jinger and find out about this birth control thing.  I'm hoping she decides to enjoy the two she has before having any more.  Let Jill run the procreation race to please Daddy.

• Love 7

I loved how Jinger, the pants wearing heathen, told us she doesn't like anything to do with the birthing process and was basically the snack mom at Spurgie's birth. There is hope for her.  

The only reason i son I watched this last night was because I was visiting my mom. I made the comment about how I felt bad for Jana. My mom's thoughts were that Jana is the prettiest of the older girls and it's a shame.  But then she said maybe Jana's the smart one by not becoming a baby making machine. 

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

I loved how Jinger, the pants wearing heathen, told us she doesn't like anything to do with the birthing process and was basically the snack mom at Spurgie's birth. There is hope for her.  

The only reason i son I watched this last night was because I was visiting my mom. I made the comment about how I felt bad for Jana. My mom's thoughts were that Jana is the prettiest of the older girls and it's a shame.  But then she said maybe Jana's the smart one by not becoming a baby making machine. 

Jinger is still using that line of "how ever many children God gives us."  Well, you can take birth control and decide when you want to start a family and then leave it up to God.  I'm glad that she said she really wants nothing to do with "birth."  She needs to find a hobby though or a nice group of friends (most girls her age wouldn't have kids anyway).  She could even start a small photography business or maybe apprentice with an interior designer, she has real options, especially being away from the family where she'd be constantly called in to babysit.

Poor Joy, she's got her first (and last) real boy crush.  I thought it was funny that Austin thought it would be safer to get married sooner?  Perhaps dad isn't always there chaperoning?  I'd actually buy that a 19 year old needs a chaperone, but if Jana is dating at 28...a 28 year old doesn't need one.

I still think they are only filming in the hopes that Jana gets a boyfriend.  It didn't sound like she'd want it on camera if she was.

This episode was incredibly boring.  I noticed only one real commercial in the last hour, the rest were promos for there other shows.  A show without sponsors is tough.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Okay this may be an issue with me, but I don't understand why people always comment on how pretty a girl is regarding whether she's single or not. I do agree that Jana is very pretty but I kinda don't get what that has to do with being married/in a relationship.....as if only supermodels get into relationships with other supermodels and "regular folk" don't have relationships. 

Again this may be my issue, I'm at a point in my life where if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me "you're so pretty why don't you have a boyfriend" I wouldn't have to work any more. (That would be nice) Like I don't get it- and the older I get it gets worse. 

32 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

My blonde, blue-eyed oldest daughter looks like my brother, and my younger brunette, brown-eyed daughter looks like my Italian-American husband's brother.  They are both pretty girls.

Maybe Jessa will have a conversation with Jinger and find out about this birth control thing.  I'm hoping she decides to enjoy the two she has before having any more.  Let Jill run the procreation race to please Daddy.

Well yes people look like their opposite sex aunts/uncles as well, I was just pointing out that people often favor family members not just their direct ancestors (parents/grandparents etc). 

• Love 5
(edited)

Jessa is pretty savvy. She seemed to try to cover for Jill. She explained how they needed Jill and Derick's advice, even though TLC was running the bizarre scene of Derp lifting Izzy into the air and down again. There ya go Bin, who has a truckload of younger siblings, and Jessa who has even more younger siblings, all you need to do is lift your kid up and down...parenting class is now out of session.  Jessa has done this intervention for Jill before; Jessa tried to cover for Jill's freak out in DA by saying how dangerous it is down there. Jessa was also saving herself and separating herself from her idiot sisters Jill and Joy. She tried to tell them not to ask about pregnancy and Jessa even flat old gave the same reasons we've seen on this board for why it was inappropriate. This might all come from Jeremy's influence on Jinger which influenced Jessa. I think the family is hoping Jessa can drag Jill into favour, but it isn't going to work. Jill and Derp are smug and unlikeable. 

Spurgeon lounging in the baby swing was adorable. He is adorable. 

Jessa and Bin need to move nearer to Laredo, or to Laredo. Forget about buying a house in that TTH neighborhood. If the cameras stay on, they would do better to go with the Jessa and Jinger show. New Ministry series, introduce us to the disadvantaged youth Bin wants to work with, and the people of Laredo church and some of their stories. There are all sorts of plot lines if they take that angle. 

The rest of the Duggs are done. There was nothing in this episode that was interesting if Jessa and/or Jinger weren't on the screen.  Do NOT let Derp and Pill join the Laredo ministry. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 14

Last season they had episodes where the focus was on Ben/Jessa and Jeremy/Jinger, and in my opinion, they were quite boring and had no outstanding quality viewing substance. The thought of Jinger and Jessa speaking about their live experiences to the masses while Ben and Jeremy attempt to be ministers would cause in a major rise for alcohol, trips to psychologists, and a shortage of pain medication in order to listen to them drivel on about real life issues none of them have a clue about.

14 hours ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Joy and Austin didn't tile the bathroom? floor? correctly on a house they are going to flip and weren't really too concerned.  I would not want to buy a house they flipped.

Their motto must be quantity not quality.  Cause you know that 5th house was standing in the way of them boning for jesus.

• Love 9
Just now, bigskygirl said:

Last season they had episodes where the focus was on Ben/Jessa and Jeremy/Jinger, and in my opinion, they were quite boring and had no outstanding quality viewing substance. The thought of Jinger and Jessa speaking about their live experiences to the masses while Ben and Jeremy attempt to be ministers would cause in a major rise for alcohol, trips to psychologists, and a shortage of pain medication in order to listen to them drivel on about real life issues none of them have a clue about.

I bet there are some neighborhoods where Bin wants to work that would be really interesting. His head would explode and that's great tv. 

The entire series is in a death spiral, it's so damn boring, that I wasn't sure if I was just watching Hank or Spruge birth because I was not paying close attention. 

The only reason I think Jessa and Jinger could work is

Bin and his singing and his reaction: He failed miserably and he laughed, better yet, Jessa was laughing, real, not haha for the scene. 

Jeremy and his ego. I can't imagine how many scenes we would sit through of Jeremy trying to be sincere while we mock him. Oh I'm just in my living room dressed up in a parka doing a workout while my wife gives me some space peeking around the corner. 

But then again, maybe they need the foils to stand out. 

I really wish they (Jessa Jinger) would just go to social media and have amazing independent blogs. Get off the TV, hire professionals and keep the rest of the family out of it. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MV713 said:

"what kind of brother will Spurgeon be?" --- 

one dull J boy - "older brother"

"joy and I's paths have been crossed by the Lord"  

just some random quotes that have stuck with me overnight.

Jim Bob to Austin: "You have Mom and I's blessing."

• Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jim Bob to Austin: "You have Mom and I's blessing."

Yeah, I'm not much at grammar and punctuation, but yeah.. "I's"

Before asking for hand in marriage in creepy fake scene, Mr. Jim Bob, minutes later, Mom and Dad. 

3 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Balloon drop =Fail. Typical Duggar.

Was feeling bad for the boy who pulled the strings, but he was sort of, meh. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

Jessa's snark on the middle-of-the-house pool was pretty funny. 

His dancing WAS pretty scary...

• Love 5

The gender reveal was ridiculous. For one thing, I don't think kids that young really care. I remember being little when new cousins were born and my reaction was always "Meh, cool. Can I have my grilled cheese now?", so imagine being part of a family that breeds like rabbits. The whole scene fell flat and the siblings couldn't even fake enthusiasm. Ditto for the baby shower. Hannie and Jennie were less than enthused while hanging those crappy decorations.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The gender reveal was ridiculous. For one thing, I don't think kids that young really care. I remember being little when new cousins were born and my reaction was always "Meh, cool. Can I have my grilled cheese now?", so imagine being part of a family that breeds like rabbits. The whole scene fell flat and the siblings couldn't even fake enthusiasm. Ditto for the baby shower. Hannie and Jennie were less than enthused while hanging those crappy decorations.

Didn't Jill get a similar ho-hum response to her pregnancy announcement in an episode earlier this season? The Duggs want it both ways: breed like rabbits *and* every single pregnancy must also be a Big Freaking Deal, although they seem to assume every married woman of childbearing age will be pregnant as often as possible. How speshul. Or not.

• Love 11

I loved to see Spurge behaving normally and his parents response. He is a really cute little guy, but like all toddlers has his moments. It was nice to see how Jessa and Bin were patient and not really distraught over normal behavior. They just kind of went with it. They were gently pulling his hands away from Wilberforce as Spurge went in to point out 'eyes' haha. 

Curious to see how Israel responds to Samuel and if he is treated with the same respect for his level of understanding. 

• Love 10