Type keyword(s) to search

Snowfall - General Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

(edited)

In the series premiere, street entreprenuer Franklin Saint enters the cocaine game; disgruntled CIA officer Teddy McDonald joins forces with a Contra soldier; and luchador wrestler Gustavo "El Oso" Zapata makes inroads with a Mexican cartel family.

Edited by Drogo
Combined episode topics into all-episodes topic.

Franklin enlists help to retrieve his stolen property; Teddy receives an unexpected visitor in the midst of a weapons deal; and Gustavo, Lucia and Pedro seek a fall guy.

Franklin and Leon deal with the thief; Teddy goes to extreme measures to protect the CIA; and Lucia and Gustavo connect in the aftermath of the previous night.

Sad to be the first responder.

With evil, in for a dime, in for a kilo.  I think of all the moral relativism with which TPTB is smashing us over the head, my favorite bit was Franklin's mom being an enforcer for a Jew.  Franklin's working for another Jew is rather symmetric that way, eh?

The Company's (CIA) role in all of this makes for a fun arc.  Asymmetric warfare always does.  What's Franklin and the Israeli's excuse?  

I understand the reviews are pretty much tepid, at best.  I think the events are totally worthy of a limited series and I am hoping this one holds together.  

• Love 2
(edited)

A lack of posting activity on a show's message board always reveal to me one of two things: Either the pilot wasn't very good or not many bothered to tune in to begin with. I started watching but fell asleep on it. Very slow "soap opera" type of show. I'm not sure if this style of pacing will keep people interested in this current TV arena though. I do wish the show well because I like for any new show to have a chance.

Edited by Syndicate

I watched it and am interested to see where this goes. Most pilots are iffy for me anyway.

Another bonus: my 14-year-old was interested in the story. He is a pretty aware kid and wants to be lawyer. I will have to pre-watch or at least record so I can skip gratititous sex scenes for him. And we can talk about the story and the history--use it as a cautionary tale.

I almost wrote it off in the beginning with naked bodies and a straw up a butt as gratuitous. But I see how they introduced the characters and their story. They said they were going to avoid conspiracy theories but since a CIA handler was already in on drug money for guns I guess that's how they avoided it.

I'm also intrigued by the wrestler's handlers, are they CIA, DEA, cons I don't know what to think. They were very professional when recruiting. Remind me of 'the couple' on the Americans(same tech advisors I thought)

Also thought I was watching Boogie Nights there at the party.  And CSI when the CIA guy was cleaning the party scene/drug house-this is the 1980s with forensics still in it's infancy.

The wimpy private school boy will probably be the first to die or flip.

Well I tried to hang in there  and 45 minutes was all I could handle, and that was it for me. It was just too rough for this little nasty snowflake is all I can say. Yipes. Man, when something grosses me out, it's pretty bad, and this was icky. You guys enjoy, I shall read from afar. 

I was more invested in the south central storyline, because of (and with all apologies to those that suffered in Nicaragua) the tragic and horrifying devastation that the crack/cocaine epidemic perpetuated in the inner city communities.  I don't care if the CIA was part of it (I mean, I'm okay with that being part of the story, but that's not THE story in all of this), and I don't care about the ways cocaine got into the country.  I care about the very real people and families it destroyed.  

I'll give it a shot for several more episodes.  I like Franklin and the actor playing him and BONUS BRIANNA BARKSDALE AS HIS MOM.  I think the South Central cast was more impressive, I love the actress playing Claudia.  She scared me a hell of a lot more than the "crazy" Israeli.  

• Love 7
(edited)

I liked the way the episode clearly showed the different levels of the drug trade. It feels like it's starting to set up what the series is going to be and setting everything in motion. Could someone explain the purpose of the jar filled with meat and other stuff? I don't understand it. Thanks to anyone who can help. 

Edited by Sarah 103

The jar was to ruin the apartments with a horrible stench in the HVAC ducts, I believe.

So far, the most real character is the boxer, Gustavo.  He seems to be acting with appropriate fear and mistrust.  He also seems to have the deepest understanding of the spiritual price to be paid for involvement in the trade.  

One thing I truly hate in movies and TV is that TPTB put sooooo much value in the shock moment.  In this case, the angry papi throwing the dead body on his floor to make a point.  Somehow, this is supposed to enthrall us or disturb us or get us all juiced up and excited.  Puhleaze.  The truly interesting reveal was that the son ripped off his father at all.  That, of itself, made this ep interesting.  The only thing worse than the shock trope?  When they don't even pay one off!  Didja see anyone actually nekkid in Avi's crib or the bagging area for Lucia?  

Does this show want to be edgy, or just pretend?  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Didja see anyone actually nekkid in Avi's crib or the bagging area for Lucia?  

Does this show want to be edgy, or just pretend?  

My understanding is that you can't show full frontal nudity on basic cable (which is what FX is.) Full frontal nudity is only something that premium cable (HBO/Showtime) can do. 

This show keeps improving, surprised no one is posting on this one.  Damson Idris looks like he could be a future star and Peris-Mencheta who plays Gustavo the wrestler is also very good.  Don't really like Teddy, the CIA operative trying to work himself back into the agency's good graces, but I think that's by design.  Hard to watch this last episode, but I'm hooked on the show.

• Love 1

How did our "hero" manage to get home after his beating without being seen by his momma?  Then, of course, a big deal was made when he returned home with all bruising gone (righhhht), and the sprayed blood on his shirt just a night later.  Momma just accepted the excuse?  Her?  Riiiiight.

I really liked the dude who was tortured.  He well understood he was toast regardless if he did what his tormenters wanted.

The best scene, really good, was when hero went to his uncle for a gun.  It was fraught with hellish consequences for all and it was treated as such.  There can't be any revisionist or retro anything.  He knew what he was doing and his motivations were not, in any way, moral.  

CIA dude is a good character.  Ambition will be his ruin.  His hubris is pretty astounding, as well.  

The first few epis tried to show the background and motivations of the CIA and rebel guy, the last few epis seem to be showing the transformation of Gustavo and Franklin into hardcore criminals.

Franklin gets himself into trouble with lies and half truths but now it looks like he's all in. The CIA and rebel guy are the only true believers/fully committed to their goals and plans  which are clear unlike the local players in the neighborhood. Avi is ruthless businessman.

Gustavo and Lucia are quietly stealing the show.  More Emily Rios. CIA & Rebel guy have their own buddy movie. Franklin started as a strong lead but his character seems to be fading.

I see why they said the first half  of the series moves slow but it's set up and backstory. They could've bumped the speed but it still tells a tense story.

Edited by misstwpherecool

My problem is that I tuned in for a series about how crack devastated a neighborhood and outside forces that lead to that devastation. I feel like they've shown us the before and we as an audience get it. When is crack going to change everything? The show feels like it's spinning its wheels at this point. 

On 8/6/2017 at 8:46 PM, Sarah 103 said:

My problem is that I tuned in for a series about how crack devastated a neighborhood and outside forces that lead to that devastation. I feel like they've shown us the before and we as an audience get it. When is crack going to change everything? The show feels like it's spinning its wheels at this point. 

I literally asked my husband the same thing last week.  I feel bamboozled and hoodwinked.  

• Love 1

The development of crack was necessitated by Franklin's inability to move powder in his own community.  So, he came up with rocks, which his own could, and would, afford.  That's what the last two eps were about, imo.

There was a total WTF moment in the latest ep where Melody, who was militantly against Franklin having anything whatsoever to do with pushing coke, was all excited about using!  What an anvil.  She's going to be the face of the lost.  Whatever.

I also could scarcely abide Momma allowing her loser Ex into the house to clean up for the party.  The last thing in the world she would want is him to have the slightest influence on Franklin.  When he dropped the bomb that he had bailed his pops out?  She reacts by giving him a sliver of forgiveness!  Really?  

So, Lenny and Squiggy, or whatever their names are, were so bound and determined to kill Franklin that they staked him out in his own hood.  They cared not that they would probably be seen, ether before or after the fact.  Reckless, they are and always have been.  Cool.  Where the heck did they go?!  It's not like Franklin was holed up in his crib.  

This series sure makes me appreciate Better Call Saul and Fargo all the more.

• Love 1
On 8/6/2017 at 5:46 PM, Sarah 103 said:

It was a slow set up giving back story which they could've done flashback style. They're already showing how drug dealing in general has affected many in the neighborhood. Franklin is becoming a slick businessman, his associates are going from hanging out  to full fledged participation in a criminal enterprise.  Franklin's fan girl wants to be entertained with more than a dinner date. Party girl with cop father not ending well.

The final set up was the last epi with the revenge seeking thieves who will probably bring overt and aggressive violence to Franklin's neighborhood.

Regardless of the drug immersing one's self into a higher profile criminal culture will have consequences.  I think for contrast is why they told back story first. The last epi explaining the drug trade/cocaine non sales is set up to show what will happen if Franklin goes into a product/culture the elders learned long ago to stay from.

On August 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM, misstwpherecool said:

I think for contrast is why they told back story first. The last epi explaining the drug trade/cocaine non sales is set up to show what will happen if Franklin goes into a product/culture the elders learned long ago to stay from.

Franklin will be going into something new and different. Crack, while derived from cocaine, is a very different drug in terms of sales and distribution. Franklin will not have to go into white neighborhoods/spaces to sell it. He will be able to sell it in his own community. I get the need to show what the neighborhood was like and the role drugs played (like Franklin's uncle who sells weed), but did they really need 7 episodes just to get to the introduction of crack? 

• Love 1

I can scarcely believe that there will be another season of this (per TV Guide article).

The latest ep decided that the hothead son of the Mexican would be perfectly straight for an entire installment.  Based on what?!  He is relentlessly pounding the stuff, forever sniffling, and now he stopped?  He then is alllll about his pops.  Huh?  Originally, he was allllll about $$$$$$.  Militantly so!  Oso saved his bacon.  Oh...and he purposely took himself out of the loop and preferred ignorance?  Give me a break.

Did Franklin explain to his mom that he was not going to be home for a day or three?

• Love 1

Franklin bringing trouble to his mother's door is one of the main reasons he annoys me. It reminds me why folks don't let non-spouse adults live in their house. I was going to go on a spiel about how he has worked so hard to take the easy route by selling drugs but I am exhausted just watching Franklin get into sticky situation after sticky situation. He walks around like a mark and thinks he runs every place he enters.  Additionally, the CIA guy annoys me and the Mexicans borderline bore me.  I guess, I continue to watch because I have been watching from the beginning.  However, seeing a drama, in part, about the proliferation of hardcore drugs into majority black communities is probably not something I need at this time. 

On 8/14/2017 at 7:35 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Franklin will be going into something new and different. Crack, while derived from cocaine, is a very different drug in terms of sales and distribution. Franklin will not have to go into white neighborhoods/spaces to sell it. He will be able to sell it in his own community. I get the need to show what the neighborhood was like and the role drugs played (like Franklin's uncle who sells weed), but did they really need 7 episodes just to get to the introduction of crack? 

I guess that there is not that much story to tell. The introduction of crack and then the gangs turning into the cultural phenomenon in a period of a few years. You can hear it in the stories of Angelenos raised in the 70s versus those raised in the 80s. Going from a minor irritant to a war zone spanning to the hammer LAPD tactics even tougher than the choke hold put on Franklin and gangster culture with rap and the movies which will probably come in season two.

None of the individuals from Franklin setting up the black gangs for his security through the already functioning Mexican gangs down to the Israeli are very important compared to the overall story. So what we do have is the story playing both sides of the political controversy with "a" CIA Agent setting up a stream, which was already happening with the Mexicans and the Israeli anyway. All told the season seemed like a 2 hour movie stretched out to include the other stories of the distribution chain.

What I never got was what was the big danger of selling to white kids at parties? While the city was segregated kids were bused to school, only a few like  like Franklin with a foster family while in a school. Probably only Franklin wanting more than he could get on once a weekend, along with having a small indoctrination into Black Panther values

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Franklin is the only who feels like he has a coherent storyline (how we get from Point A to Point B to Point C). It seems like they keep trying to find a new storyline for Teddy every week and they're going to keep trying different things until they find something that works. Gustavo's story is okay. It's slightly better than Teddy, but quite as coherent and well developed as Franklin's. 

• Love 1

Disappointed Franklin left his buds at the party and he roams the streets and by sheer luck he discovers crack. By sheer luck the 'crack' dealers not only let him live but they showed him their trade secrets. Franklin is also lucky his bud's connection didn't kill him. He might be the smart one but he is also self absorbed sob.

Then we have the power play in the Latino gang. Did the brother tell him about the murder as well as him and sister selling on their own?

19 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

By sheer luck the 'crack' dealers not only let him live but they showed him their trade secrets.

It was sheer luck that he discovered crack. The dealers let him live because he gave them a large sum of money. As for the trade secrets, he must have figured that anyone with that much money was probably a potential business partner and worth sharing the secret with. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

So, Lenny and Squiggy, or whatever their names are, were so bound and determined to kill Franklin that they staked him out in his own hood.  They cared not that they would probably be seen, ether before or after the fact.  Reckless, they are and always have been.  Cool.  Where the heck did they go?!  It's not like Franklin was holed up in his crib.  

We are not there, with the super development of the black street gangs, yet. Notice the challenge they the rape victim and his partner gave and used by others so far in the series when they initially ripped off Franklin "who are you with?" In other words does he have protection of someone like the Israeli or the Mexican Mafia father that will cause us to abort. Not what was to become "where you from?" you had protection because you lived in the boundaries controlled by a local set and outside of those boundaries you did not unless there was some sort of high level alliance. As was already going on with the East LA Mexican gangs which predated the South Central LA black gangs in such organization, shown when Franklin tried to make contact with them.

Edited by Raja

I certainly agree that the lines are about to be radically redrawn.  My point about these two fools was that despite their having been notoriously reckless, and how they made this deeply personal, they allofasudden stopped pursuing Franklin.  We were given no hint as to why.

One of the crucial distinctions being made in the show is how Franklin is playing it strategically and with his head, as opposed to the vicious randomness that permeated that region.  It's a good story.  But, imo, if TPTB are going to introduce legitimate menaces to Franklin like these two, they owe it to their audience to follow through.

7 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I certainly agree that the lines are about to be radically redrawn.  My point about these two fools was that despite their having been notoriously reckless, and how they made this deeply personal, they allofasudden stopped pursuing Franklin.  We were given no hint as to why.

One of the crucial distinctions being made in the show is how Franklin is playing it strategically and with his head, as opposed to the vicious randomness that permeated that region.  It's a good story.  But, imo, if TPTB are going to introduce legitimate menaces to Franklin like these two, they owe it to their audience to follow through.

It is personal because he was raped until he gave up the location of the money which Franklin's hired muscle,  the rapist, proceed to steal. They didn't just stop they caught Franklin's friend, the third man at the rape and shot him and will presumably come back at Franklin later.

The last two eps made much more sense, but to get there, we have to believe that Ramiro and Aunt Lou simply decided to just get straight and stay that way, despite unreal new and difficult stresses.  Didja see how hinky she got when confronted by our hero's Mama?  She would sooooo have taken some serious drug(s) to get by shortly thereafter.  When she is straight, it is fully clear why Jerome is allll about her.  Didn't she and Claudia have a very personal history already that did not end well.  At. All?  

The cops' daughter was ridiculous, again.  She already knew full well that Franklin was dealing cocaine.  She made her big public move on him, and then she gets all bent out of shape because he stashed his assets while trying to handle the shooting of his friend.  No freaking way.  

I did love Lou putting it to Franklin's Mama about working for the slumlord.  It doesn't excuse her choices, but it was certainly truthful.

The CIA arc is dragging the show down.  I don't give a fig about dude's angst.  His baby momma does nothing for me, either.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The CIA arc is dragging the show down.  I don't give a fig about dude's angst.  His baby momma does nothing for me, either.  

Unlike The Wire that used a second season to bring in the Greek Connection I think politics played a role. In they had to show the CIA, even if the CIA is really yet involved with the main story of turning from higher end cocaine sales to crack. And the other side politically is saying don't give me that CIA conspiracy to kill black people story. On The Wire they were able to take a season to introduce different elements of the Baltimore heroin traffic while Snowfall is trying to jam all the west coast cocaine stuff in at once.

18 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The cops' daughter was ridiculous, again.  She already knew full well that Franklin was dealing cocaine.  She made her big public move on him, and then she gets all bent out of shape because he stashed his assets while trying to handle the shooting of his friend.  No freaking way.  

I am not sure I understand this. Because she was happy to see her next-door neighbor, crush was alive and well meant she was okay with him setting her up to take a fall?? I admit that I am not blasé about drug dealing so I didn't see a problem to her reaction to Franklin.  Also, I agree with her telling him that he can't see past what's in that bag. He is rather determined to become a kingpin no matter how much trouble he brings to the people around him.

• Love 2

Please recall just a couple of episodes ago when she was in his room and his loser buddies were there discussing coke.  The one guy was beggggging to snort some.  She asked to use, too!  The point being she knew he was a dealer and a felon and she wanted to snort coke.  Fast forward to her umbrage now, worthy of Captain Renault in Casablanca who was shocked to discover gambling at Rick's.

She still wanted to be the drug felon's gal.  Full stop.  She was gonna be on the arm of the neighborhood dealer, right under Daddy Cop's nose.   She expected no repercussions?  Really?!  Despite her entire life being subjected to Daddy's warnings?  The multitude of shootings which were very well known throughout L.A.?  Ridiculous.  She was more than old enough, given the environment in which she was raised, to know perfectly well there were inherent and very great dangers in associating with dealers.

I fault nobody who chooses to suspend disbelief.  No worries.  I sincerely wish I could.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Please recall just a couple of episodes ago when she was in his room and his loser buddies were there discussing coke.  The one guy was beggggging to snort some.  She asked to use, too!  The point being she knew he was a dealer and a felon and she wanted to snort coke.  Fast forward to her umbrage now, worthy of Captain Renault in Casablanca who was shocked to discover gambling at Rick's.

She still wanted to be the drug felon's gal.  Full stop.  She was gonna be on the arm of the neighborhood dealer, right under Daddy Cop's nose.   She expected no repercussions?  Really?!  Despite her entire life being subjected to Daddy's warnings?  The multitude of shootings which were very well known throughout L.A.?  Ridiculous.  She was more than old enough, given the environment in which she was raised, to know perfectly well there were inherent and very great dangers in associating with dealers.

I fault nobody who chooses to suspend disbelief.  No worries.  I sincerely wish I could.  

But none of what you wrote explains why she would want to go down for his drug dealing.  Even when she was upset with him, she didn't tell him to stop selling drugs. She was upset that by stashing the drugs in her room, he was willing for her to take the fall (ride or die status) and she was letting him know that she was not interested in playing that position.  Wanting to use drugs or even hang with a future kingpin does not mean she wants to do time for something she actually did not do.

• Love 1

She is the daughter of a cop.  She would have been told all about how simply being in a room where deals are happening is a crime.  

Of course nobody would be thrilled about their bedroom being the stash place.

But, she made her choice.  As the daughter of a cop who had lectured her endlessly about not associating with dealers and bangers, of which Franklin is one of these, she wanted the excitement.  Her naivete and reaction is ridiculous.  Her conscious betrayal of her father's deep fears speaks very poorly for her, as well.

If she were simply a sheltered teen girl who was legitimately clueless about Franklin, I might be able to accept that.  That ain't what TPTB spent several scenes establishing.

• Love 1

I loved the call back to the first episode. One of the first things we saw Franklin do was admonish some young neighbors for stealing ice-cream. One of the first things we see him do with his new found power is pay off the ice-cream man so he'll give the neighborhood kids free ice-cream. (Also, was it implied that the ice-cream man would also get free or discounted crack?) 

It took me until this episode to realize the woman at the center of the search was the same woman who died in the pilot. (Maybe I'm slow on the uptake or it was just really bad writing). 

I understand that they wanted to show different levels of the drug trade, but I think this show would be much better off if they just focused on Franklin.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I understand that they wanted to show different levels of the drug trade, but I think this show would be much better off if they just focused on Franklin.  

I keep coming back to The Wire were each season added a new focus. Of course being on HBO they probably had a better chance of getting multiple seasons to tell a entire story instead of facing one and out thus trying to squeeze everything in. Although Franklin's story is the story of my community I was more drawn to Oso and the take down of the Mexican Mafia storyline.

In the end though there was nobody to root for. No Wallace being unjustly killed, no Bubbles trying to maintain his civility even with his addiction. As close as we got was the rape victim, but then when he ripped off Franklin to start everything in motion he was more sadistic than needed to be since he caught Franklin and had control for the robbery. Even the club owner which was the first customer for cocaine as a party drug for her customers used her power to rape Franklin's aunt as payment for starting him in the business. It must have been her club but the time period seemed a couple years too early where Born Again Christian LA Laker  A.C. Green was coming and she was telling her hostesses not to push up on him to hard. I may be mistaken the scene for another show, but what other 80s period piece have I seen lately?

Edited by Raja

The outrageous moment in the finale was the Franklin Corleone on the porch seat (not even his porch), manspreading, with his pristine white kicks.  What happens next?  The young Godfather pays the merchant so some poor kids can have ice cream.  Perhaps next time he'll pay a landlord for some poor widow to be able to keep her dog.  

The Oso/Lucia story is much the better tale.  I was very pleased to see the fool cousin back to his old party self.  He'll never beat the ruthless and smart couple now.  

Loved Avi.  He is who he is.  He's very wise, but his using will undo himself.  

I cannot STAND the sight of CIA dude.  He is fine with being the proximate cause of murders in Colombia.  He got the nice girl murdered.  He then murders his henchman.  He gets Jesus.  And an attaboy from Reagan made it all better.  The tragedy is there are folks just like this always.

• Love 3

In the last epi/end of the season  the CIA guy Teddy and Franklin both showed their dark ruthless side. Teddy eliminated the contra guy although the character seems opposed to killing but again he is CIA.  I know a lot of shows and movies show it but killing on US soil let alone running the op put hims in more jeopardy although no one in the US will miss him. Although Franklin is conman, narcissist, selfish, ambitious criminal I'm not quite getting where some of the gangster stuff is coming from(his escalation needed just a little more). Gustavo has escalated from reluctant killer to ruthless criminal although they seem to show his motivation and progression a little better. Same for Emily Rios.

• Love 1

Here is the place to talk about season 2. This is the space for speculation without spoilers, discussion of season 2 episodes and all other posts related to season 2, aside from media which has its own thread/topic. 

(edited)

Well, I suppose not many are watching this.  I watched an episode last night and thought it was pretty good. I didn't watch Season 2, so, I'm a little confused, but, I think I'm going to catch up. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Some of my takes on the first episode of S2:

Yeah, they changed the course of history all right. Now there's a flood of immigrants from Central and South America, and several generations of families have been lost to drug-related crime and addiction. Thanks CIA!

Mayates. Never heard that one before. Was that 80s slang (or slur, actually) or is that term still used?

A bit of an anachronism with the one word reply, "Same." I don't think that usage was in effect in the 80s unless it was an LA thing.

It's the first episode of a new season, so it's mostly set-up. Franklin's storyline is still the one that's most interesting to me, but Ted's may be growing on me. Ted's storyline last season was my least favorite. 

I'm hoping someone can explain to this me. Franklin uses some of his drug profits to pay off the ice-cream man so that the neighborhood kids can get free ice-cream. Also I'm guessing part of the money goes to whatever was happening in the back of the truck, which I must have missed.  Can someone explain to me what was happening in the back of the ice-cream truck? Was the ice-cream man also working as a dealer? Thanks to anyone who can help.

It appeared to me that the ice cream man was selling the bags of chips which had rock in them.  

The arc I most care about is the one with Lucia and Oso.  I am trying to understand how they are supposed to have managed to survive police interest with the natural law of the drug jungle.  Theirs is still the most realistic situation, imo.  

As with all crime enterprises, the problem becomes one of scale.  With growth comes new faces that can not be trusted and almost always will lead to the fall of the leaders.  Have you seen many savvy gangsta wannabes in this show?  Heck, Franklin's most trusted colleagues are straight fools.  Look at Avi.  That guy is as smart, shrewd, and streetwise as any imaginable.  Even he was taken down.  

I do look forward to Teddy CIA recruiting Franklin.  

Finally, the anvils are multitudinous and are coming for neighbor Melody(?) the cop's daughter.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Not exactly Romeo and Juliet or Cyrano de Bergerac, but climbin' in da windah will do.  

The best moment was when Teddy told Leon he was the stupidest mofo he had ever met.  Truer words were never spoken.

At least Lucia and Oso are going in with their eyes wide open.  Nice to have at least some realism.

So...with all the craziness going on that day, who was left to perform the basic functions of producing and distributing the rock?  We've not seen anything like the number of folks needed to keep up even in this nascent stage.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

I'm liking this season even though this week's episode was a bit heartbreaking. Going from Franklin's childlike excitement in the plane to his mother simply saying "no" at the door. She knows where all roads lead and could not move an inch for him. For which I do not blame her at all - Franklin has so much potential and he's using it to become a killer. Michael Hyatt is great in the role and I wish we got to see her more.

• Love 2

I wonder what is going to happen with Franklin's father. We had a reminder that he was with the Black Panthers and we saw him caught up in a police raid on homeless people. It feels like this is set-up for something, but I have no idea what. 

• Love 1

I knew the INS raid was hinky.  They would never just take a cursory look at that paperwork and walk away.  Now, I am curious if cuz is part of the scam, or just "Soledad," his amore.

I enjoyed imagining Franklin observing his intrepid crime family and wondering how the hell he was supposed to make this all work with soooo many fools.  It's obvious that one hothead is going to have to be dealt with.   Severely.

The arc with Alton is one I do not look forward to watching unfold.  How will TPTB make him be someone substantial and deeply meaningful in a maelstrom of drug violence?  They sure are going to great lengths to rehabilitate/resurrect that character.  Ugh.

• Love 1