Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Ross is ordered to leave Roscoff under threat of execution. He travels with Tholly to meet his contact in France, but finds information about Dwight's fate comes at a high price. Sam leads a congregation of methodists in protest outside the church - only to face broken promises from George, who revokes their lease on the meeting house, which leads them to turn to Elizabeth for help. Geoffrey Charles has some words of advice for Drake, who has shared a moment of intimacy on the beach with Morwenna.

This was such a great Demelza episode!  She was so radiant, and we got to see her managing things without any of her former insecurities.  I loved seeing her with her cute son.  She's the best big sister ever to her brothers and I'm so glad she has a wider support system herself with them around.  Drake is so adorable!  I love him and Morwenna together.  Hearing Demelza and Prudie recite Judd's old line was priceless.

Elizabeth and Gorge really deserve each other, in the end.  It was almost amusing how little it took to convince her to abandon the one son she claims to love and set herself up in George's rape-court with a bottomless flask of laudanam.  Meanwhile, at least the residents of Trenwith are freed from them for the time being. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Things are starting to go downhill for Elizabeth. For all of her protestations of caring for Geoffrey Charles, she leaves him behind with only a handshake. Weak!  She follows George around like a silly little school girl without any thoughts to his manipulations. She finally gets her eyes opened with George's verdict of the rape/assault and instead of putting up a fight LIKE DEMELZA, she turns to drugs. What a waste. Ross, you inadvertently avoided a catastrophe by not marrying that one. Ross FINALLY realized that he married an intelligent and determined WOMAN. Yay Ross, about damn time!  Now, appreciate her, Ross.  I think wardrobe had some difficulties with Demelza's "pregnancy" as sometimes she appeared 2nd trimester and other times, nearly 1st trimester.

Wow, French soldiers were brutal. I know it's a rough time, but damn, do they really have to punch and kick you BEFORE they shoot you or decapitate you?

Not having closed captioning, I could not hear what Geoffrey Charles said about Valentine and his darker complexion (which is clearly not represented by the actual baby as that kid is as pale as George). If someone who actually knows what was said could help with the transcript, I would appreciate it. I guess that's the first of Geoffrey Charles' comments about resemblance to someone else.

Finally, I've been reading in British newspapers, rumors that Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson are getting "closer" off set. Good for them, if true, they make a handsome couple. I had my small crush dashed by an Eleanor Tomlinson interview where she admitted that her true hair color is muddy blonde/brown and the red and unruly hair is all due to dyes and hair extensions. Damn! :-(

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3

I'm pretty much accepting that the books and the show are entirely separate animals at this point.  There have been enough uh, interesting adaptation choices over the seasons that it's probably best for my sanity.

Oddly enough, Elizabeth self medicating is a choice that didn't really bother me that much in the grand scheme of things.  If I had to listen adoringly to George preening about his self importance and supposed triumphs all the time while facing the reality that this was what I'd married, I'd be pounding laudanum too.  But then neither of them are terribly self-aware.   The scene of them convincing themselves that Ross must have surely been behind the Methodists expecting them to honor Francis's promise was ridiculous in their utter inability to see despite all their protestations to the contrary how much power they were giving a man who wasn't even in the country at the time and certainly had bigger fish to fry than worrying about either of them.  France seems pretty much awful all the time.

I do love that Demelza can barely manage more than a second rate grimace for Tholly showing up with the latest round of news that Ross had yet again gone off and impulsively done something foolhardy.  She may grumble about it later with Prudie but otherwise it was very much a been there done that reaction.  I also didn't mind her basically daring Ross to quibble about the decisions she makes when he's off chasing his latest windmill.  She's right in that somebody has to be the steady level head to keep everything going.

I still don't find the Carne brothers or their Methodist efforts very interesting at this point of the story, book or show.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I also didn't mind her basically daring Ross to quibble about the decisions she makes when he's off chasing his latest windmill.  She's right in that somebody has to be the steady level head to keep everything going.

I liked that instead of backing down, Demelza stepped close to Ross and made her case and DID dare him to deny her right to do what she thinks is right. She definitely got indignant when Ross asked her by what right did she have to do what she did.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, LJones41 said:

How interesting that so many fans are willing to accept these recent changes made by Debbie Horsfield . . . especially at a time when Elizabeth's character is being demonized to beyond recognition and Demelza is being portrayed in a better light than she was at this point in "The Black Moon".

Spoiler

Not having read the books and going only by what I've seen in P75 and so far of P15, I don't know how this series diverts completely from the books. However, I think some divergence is normal for films adapted from books, especially from books written in 1945. From the little I've read about the books, not the actual books themselves, Demelza was 13 when Ross first met and kidnapped  her. They also didn't marry for another four years. Surely, those were necessary changes to move the story alone and make it palatable for current viewers. How do you think those original events would have played out in this day and age? All film versions of a book must take into account different viewpoints from storytelling and directors.

Edited by SilverStormm
Spoiler tags added for book talk.
18 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Not having closed captioning, I could not hear what Geoffrey Charles said about Valentine and his darker complexion (which is clearly not represented by the actual baby as that kid is as pale as George). If someone who actually knows what was said could help with the transcript, I would appreciate it. I guess that's the first of Geoffrey Charles' comments about resemblance to someone else.

No closed-captioning here either, but he basically called out Valentine for not looking like George, which, while amusing, and totally something Agatha can and has said, makes little sense for a kid with no knowledge of biology or genetics. Not all kids look like their parents at any age, much less at Valentine's. I would have LOVED the kid to have been born with a scar just like Ross's though.

Demelza WAS awesome as usual, and I like her brothers and their insinuation into the community. Drake and Morwenna are adorable. Too bad the Poldarks can't change the locks and hire a security force before the Warleggans return home.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

Too bad the Poldarks can't change the locks and hire a security force before the Warleggans return home.

Or make George's thug mysteriously disappear. If I recall correctly, that's the same thug that shot Demelza. How is he not dead?

I didn't actually get why George and Elizabeth left Geoffrey Charles at Trenworth.  I know George would like to be rid of him but until this time Elizabeth did seem like a caring mother.

Does George have even one redeeming value?

1 hour ago, abbyzenn said:

I didn't actually get why George and Elizabeth left Geoffrey Charles at Trenworth.  I know George would like to be rid of him but until this time Elizabeth did seem like a caring mother.

Does George have even one redeeming value?

No, he doesn't. He's a petty, worthless POS. Did I actually write that down?  Sorry if I offended anyone. George is written to be obsessed with Ross and he sees him as his chief rival in everything. 

As far as Elizabeth goes, she IS a caring mother, but she is so hurt by Ross' abandonment of her, that sometimes she doesn't think straight. Remember, she's still in love with Ross. The only reason that she is NOT with Ross is because her mother convinced her that Ross wasn't good enough for her.  Elizabeth actually didn't care if Ross was penniless, she wanted to be with him anyway. Ross doesn't make it easy for her to forget him because Ross and George are polar opposites and she sees Ross as a heroic figure. However, IRL, Elizabeth would most definitely NOT leave Geoffrey Charles behind, it's just a plot device by the writers to stir the pot and create more drama. No mother would leave their young child to stay with his governess and an aging grand aunt.

George and Elizabeth were going to stay at his nouveau riche great house in Truro, allegedly to get away from Ross despite him not actually being anywhere around at the time.   As he does already own property and Trenwith actually belongs to Geoffrey Charles, George has no reason to live there at all except as a means of thumbing his nose at it being the Poldark ancestral home.

As a young gentleman, it really wouldn't have been considered that big a deal for Geoffrey Charles to be left behind at the country estate to focus on his studies with his governess or even be sent off to school by this age, nor as members of the upper class would it have been considered this big horrible thing for his mother and stepfather to be away without him.  In actuality, the gentry and upper crust typically tended to employ baby nurses and attendants and then governesses to do a lot of the dirty work of raising their kids, as we saw with Verity making her brief appearance with the baby nurse firmly in tow.  Elizabeth only looks bad to our modern eyes in comparison to Demelza, who seems stuck in kind of an in between place on the matter.  Having been born lower class and until fairly recently she and Ross having been poor, she's naturally more hands on with her own child because that's what she's accustomed to.  As Ross and Demelza's fortunes rise, Prudie and the so far unseen this season Jinny would be expected to be doing a lot of the caring for Jeremy as well.

• Love 4

As Ruth Treneglos née Teague, once said, "I bow to your expertise ma'am".  However, instead of derision like she used it, I use it with respect. You bring up excellent points in that one must regard such matters with customs of the times.

My problem, is that the writers have just used Elizabeth's great reluctance to be separated from Geoffrey Charles and then put her in the completely opposite position of being too eager to get away in the next episode.  Granted, it WAS to get away from Ross' perceived meddling, but she just as easily could have taken Geoffrey Charles, Morwenna Chynoweth AND Aunt Agatha.  It's not like George's house in Truro doesn't have the room. The George/Elizabeth conversation went from George maneuvering Elizabeth into a silly rage about Ross using the Carne brothers as part of some elaborate ruse, into let's get away and maybe leave Geoffrey Charles behind.  Elizabeth went from one extreme to the other wth no deliberation on custom or concern other than to "shake hands like a Gentleman" (no freaking hug!!!) and an aside to Morwenna to make sure that he sticks with his studies - Ta!

I will have to say, with reluctance, that the writers/showrunner ARE going to great lengths to paint Elizabeth with the same broad brush that is used to paint George. Elizabeth is really not that bad. While she loves Ross, she had come to care for Demelza in the past, and I really miss their friendship. Hell, Demelza saved Elizabeth, Francis, AND Geoffrey Charles' lives at the cost of her own daughter, Julia. I can't recall anything that Demelza did to earn her enmity except perhaps side with Verity, and that's not any of Elizabeth's business, considering she would have left her engagement to Francis if Ross had wanted her to.

FYI, someone posted the entire episode to YouTube.  Hopefully, closed captioning is an option, because I missed a tiny bit of dialogue and although I have the episode, it is sans CC.

I actually saw the whole thing as George manipulating Elizabeth to separate her from her older child (because as far as he's concerned only Valentine really matters) and get her away from Trenwith and into the Warleggan house since she didn't find anything unreasonable about the Methodist boys' request until George started going on about how they were Demelza's brothers and Ross must surely be behind the whole thing.  But you're right in that it seemed a jarring shift in priorities only one episode after Elizabeth was upset that Geoffrey Charles was giggling with Morwenna and clearly enjoying his time with her.

And yeah, they are painting in very broad strokes here.  They might as well have given George a mustache to twirl.  Elizabeth's real worst fault is that she's very passive and easily led, the same qualities idealized in women that would have made her so attractive to so many men of the day.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

And yeah, they are painting in very broad strokes here.  They might as well have given George a mustache to twirl.  Elizabeth's real worst fault is that she's very passive and easily led, the same qualities idealized in women that would have made her so attractive to so many men of the day

Yes, George's plan was obvious in that he wanted the the two (Elizabeth and Geoffrey Charles) separated. I just don't know if I would say that she's very passive.  There are times when she resists being led, like when her mother argued that if Ross wanted her, he would have showed up at the door; never mind that it was probably the next day or so and he just arrived back at Nampara. She also strongly resisted George's suggestion of placing Geoffrey Charles in a boarding school. Yet, what is the difference between her child in a boarding school or at Trenwith while she's in Truro?

Elizabeth seems to be the only seemingly passive woman in the cast, and if that is attractive to the men of the times, why is Ruth Treneglos married to that timid fop? Verity hated being timid and was determined not to be so, as Captain Blamey didn't want a timid woman. What did the women of Trenwith say when Francis asked, "What's wrong with the women of Trenwith?" and they all answered as one, "The Men!"

They are just not consistent with how Elizabeth is written.

Damn. Thanks. I was hoping that they had the CC option.  Were you able to tell what Geoffrey Charles said to his mom about Valentine's complexion? I got the gist but I couldn't hear what he said exactly. LOL, Elizabeth never seems to hear the question, "Who does he favor?", yet she's quick to say to George, "He favors you. He has your features!".  Tsk,tsk, Elizabeth, you'll have to be more subtle than that. Both Aunt Agatha and Geoffrey Charles take great pleasure in needling George. It's hilarious. 

If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines of, "He's darker than I am."  I couldn't help laughing out loud when they showed the baby with his cap removed and wild hair ruled. 

• Love 2

Speaking of Valentine: damn, I already feel bad about this episodes indication of how he'll be raised. It seems George will likely dote on him (for being his first born heir) to probably an unhealthy degree while his drugged up mother ignores/shuns/disfavors him. That is a fundamentally unhealthy environment for a growing child and given all the ominous portents at Valentine's birth, it doesn't bode well for his character. Not to mention if the secret that Ross is actually his father ever get back to him or George. Imagine the only parent showing you affection suddenly stopping because they found out you are their greatest enemy's son. When that mine blows, the fallout will be ruinous.  

(edited)
5 hours ago, linksheridan said:

Am I the only one that wants to take this conversation a step further? Let’s contact the BBC One programme Points of View about Poldark! I’ve found their contact link here:

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mysv/contact

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are proposing. Contact BBC One Points of View to what end?  Take this conversation a step further....why?

1 hour ago, Inquiry said:

Speaking of Valentine: damn, I already feel bad about this episodes indication of how he'll be raised. It seems George will likely dote on him (for being his first born heir) to probably an unhealthy degree while his drugged up mother ignores/shuns/disfavors him. That is a fundamentally unhealthy environment for a growing child and given all the ominous portents at Valentine's birth, it doesn't bode well for his character. Not to mention if the secret that Ross is actually his father ever get back to him or George. Imagine the only parent showing you affection suddenly stopping because they found out you are their greatest enemy's son. When that mine blows, the fallout will be ruinous.  

Let's be clear, this forum is Poldark 2015, anything that happens in the future can only be predicted, but it is best if we let the story play out. What we know is clear and plain: Elizabeth and Ross had a tryst, the circumstances of which are controversial. (Rape or belated passion) The ONLY people that know that a tryst took place for a fact, is Elizabeth and Ross. All others are GUESSING. Aunt Agatha was not in the room, so any snide comments or allusions that she makes are purely suppositional. The only thing that Demelza knows is that Ross traveled to Trenwith and came home the next morning. She may THINK she knows what happened, but she doesn't KNOW. (Despite the wonderful fact that she knocked the shit out of Ross the next day, and he never complained) I don't recall Ross confirming her suspicions. NO ONE knows the paternity of Valentine, including Elizabeth and Ross. Elizabeth, at this point, only has Aunt Agatha's remarks and the strange timing of the pregnancy that casts any doubt as to Valentine's paternity. Certainly Elizabeth may now suspect, but only because Aunt Agatha takes a delicious delight in clouding the issue with small glances and "innocent" remarks. Until Demelza made the comments to Ross about the timing and the strange circumstances of Elizabeth's fall down the stairs, not even Ross suspected. George has NO idea and has no reason to question Valentine's paternity. George is so self-absorbed, that the thought of such a situation is unthinkable. So, as far as we know, Elizabeth and Ross had sex, and after her marriage to George, she became pregnant and ended up delivering Valentine.

Edited by Jacks-Son

Let's be clear, this forum is Poldark 2015, anything that happens in the future can only be predicted, but it is best if we let the story play out. What we know is clear and plain: Elizabeth and Ross had a tryst, the circumstances of which are controversial. 

Their "tryst" began seconds before Ross was about to rape Elizabeth.  That's not really consensual sex to me.  I'm sorry, but it isn't.  It sounds like a rape fantasy.

8 minutes ago, LJones41 said:

Their "tryst" began seconds before Ross was about to rape Elizabeth.  That's not really consensual sex to me.  I'm sorry, but it isn't.  It sounds like a rape fantasy.

I did not mean to suggest that it was consensual. I tried to paint a less bleak picture. Yes, it was in fact rape and no, there's no fantasy aspect to it.  That's why I said "rape or belated passion".  People see what they choose to see.  Perhaps  "tryst" was the wrong word, but I hardly like the fact that our "hero" raped his deceased cousin's widow.

Mod Note

The rape/not!rape topic has been discussed at length previously. People have differing views, and it should not become a bone of contention anytime it's mentioned in passing. We all must accept that not everyone will agree on this and have that be an end to it.

Thanks.

• Love 4

George is a disgusting POS with no redeeming qualities at all, too bad he didn’t lose his head in France.

Elizabeth is a useless broodmare, she and George deserve each other and should have a whole brood of fugly children.

• Love 4
On 6/26/2017 at 1:26 PM, nodorothyparker said:

still don't find the Carne brothers or their Methodist efforts very interesting at this point of the story, book or show.

Cornwall was the cradle of Methodism. John Wesley preached his sermons there, so it  does bear a historical significance because this was the timeline.  The Methodist church in the US is one of the more liberal and inclusive denominations and alcohol consumption is not frowned upon. In the U.K., it is more conservative and still frowns upon drinking.

Ugh, I can't stand George.  If I were Elizabeth and married to that detestable prig, I would most certainly be having a little laudanum with my wine. (Not that this is advisable or responsible to do so.  Mixing alcohol and opioids is downright dangerous. Don't do it!)

• Love 2

So, let me get this straight-that slut in the bar couldn’t get Ross to fuck her, so acting like a stereotypical “woman spurned” EXCEPT she was never in a relationship or fling with him where she was spurned, reports him to the...gendarmes?????

I think I need to find some books on French history before I say anything more about how failure to “report” in to the military was a crime and an automatic imprisonment; then death.

I’m trying to remember-“The French Terror” hasn’t happened yet, right? What year are we in?

And I suppose I am to believe that the other two magistrates have no say in the “sentences” George is handing out? He’s just asking for someone to kill him.

George was so jealous of the Trenwith tenants greeting Elizabeth at church. He goes out of his way to be the most irredeemable asshole on Earth, but is confused why nobody likes him.

To see Elizabeth previously freaking out about Geoffrey Charles having a governess and then being shipped to boarding school when those were against her wishes, then leaving him behind with only a handshake seemed pretty cold.

The episode needed more Aunt Agatha.

• Love 6
On 6/26/2017 at 4:19 AM, Jacks-Son said:

It wasn't his complexion, but his hair coloring, I believe, to which Geoffrey Charles was referring.

54 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, let me get this straight-that slut in the bar couldn’t get Ross to fuck her, so acting like a stereotypical “woman spurned” EXCEPT she was never in a relationship or fling with him where she was spurned, reports him to the...gendarmes?????

I think I need to find some books on French history before I say anything more about how failure to “report” in to the military was a crime and an automatic imprisonment; then death.

I’m trying to remember-“The French Terror” hasn’t happened yet, right? What year are we in?

And I suppose I am to believe that the other two magistrates have no say in the “sentences” George is handing out? He’s just asking for someone to kill him.

I think that bar woman was always a spy for the authorities and it didn't have anything to do with being spurned.

George looked like he was sexually aroused when he was passing the sentence.  What an sadistic jackass!

I guess that Elizabeth's arch this season is drug addiction.  That makes me sad.

Ross can learn from Caroline's tact.  She handled her fact-finding mission well.

If anything happens to Geoffrey Charles while Morwenna and  Drake are making googly eyes at each other, I will jump through my TV screen and throttle them.

@Arwen Evenstar. thanks for the education re: Methodists.  I was not aware of that.

BTW, can we do a Poldark/Outlander crossover episode?  I would pay money for that!

• Love 2

OK, I'm officially calling Elizabeth Queen of The C-Word and the old woman 18th Century Granny Clampett.

3 minutes ago, nara said:

@Arwen Evenstar

BTW, can we do a Poldark/Outlander crossover episode?  I would pay money for that!

Except I think the events of both shows are fifty years apart

• Love 1
Just now, bmoore4026 said:

OK, I'm officially calling Elizabeth Queen of The C-Word and the old woman 18th Century Granny Clampett.

Except I think the events of both shows are fifty years apart

oops.  I thought they were closer with the current Outlander season. Never mind.

• Love 1

George should count himself lucky that the "vulgars" in his own country didn't get the same ideas as the French peasants who rose up against their "betters".   I have never been able to muster much sympathy for the aristocrats who didn't make it through the French Revolution.  Novels like "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and "A Tale Of Two Cities" try to portray the French aristocracy as innocent little lambs  led to the slaughter while the truth is there was good reason for  there to be a revolution to begin with.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Popples said:

The episode needed more Aunt Agatha.

There is absolutely no such thing as an episode with too much Aunt Agatha!

I loved how she said upon George and Elizabeth leaving, "Oh good, now we can have some fun!".  I laughed my ass of when she farted and talked about how windy it was that day.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

There is absolutely no such thing as an episode with too much Aunt Agatha!

I loved how she said upon George and Elizabeth leaving, "Oh good, now we can have some fun!".  I laughed my ass of when she farted and talked about how windy it was that day.

I’m worried that the fart may be the beginning of her losing control of bodily functions, which may mean that she will die soon. I really hope that I am wrong. We all do it but I got the impression that scene was there for more than humor.

• Love 1

I missed Judd even more than usual when Demelza and Prudy were violently kneading the bread and saying his line about things being, "not fittin' not proper."  I hope his absence means  Phil Davis is doing some other interesting project.

I'm disappointed in Elizabeth.  All this time I thought she was more lazy and self-centered than evil.  Now she's complicit in George's horrible "rulings," she is negligent of her own baby because she knows he's Ross's, and she has completely forgotten that Demelza saved her life, at the expense of her own daughter, when they were all at deaths door.  May her drug addiction ruin her looks.

Poor Dwight, how terrible to try and do medical care in that den of filth.  I enjoyed seeing the Caroline actress get a chance to go beyond her usual role of a good woman hiding behind a shallow façade.  I think the she is one of the prettiest people I've ever seen.

• Love 4

Am I the only one who thinks Valentine's coloring could easily be explained by taking after Elizabeth? Geoffrey Charles commented that the baby's hair is much darker than his own but Elizabeth's hair is also very dark. If Elizabeth had half a brain in her head she could just say that the child favors the mother rather than the father.

I realize they're trying to ratchet up suspense and speculation but c'mon.

Also, George is a thoroughly despicable douche bag with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, wlk68 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Valentine's coloring could easily be explained by taking after Elizabeth? Geoffrey Charles commented that the baby's hair is much darker than his own but Elizabeth's hair is also very dark. If Elizabeth had half a brain in her head she could just say that the child favors the mother rather than the father.

I realize they're trying to ratchet up suspense and speculation but c'mon.

Also, George is a thoroughly despicable douche bag with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

That's exactly what I thought when Geoffrey Charles made that remark--Elizabeth has dark hair so what's the big deal?   In the "original" Poldark, Elizabeth was blonde, so that the comments about the baby being dark made more sense.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2017 at 7:30 PM, nodorothyparker said:

As a young gentleman, it really wouldn't have been considered that big a deal for Geoffrey Charles to be left behind at the country estate

And it's not as if Geoffrey Charles is anxious to spend time with George.

On 6/30/2017 at 11:55 AM, HollyG said:

I can't wait until George finds out he was 2nd choice for the court appointment after Ross turned them down. 

Wasn't he told that at the banquet last episode? I don't think George would dwell on that; for him, it's his stepping stone to being a burgess and more.

17 hours ago, nara said:

If anything happens to Geoffrey Charles while Morwenna and  Drake are making googly eyes at each other, I will jump through my TV screen and throttle them.

I hold my breath every time those three are together. 

15 hours ago, magdalene said:

George should count himself lucky that the "vulgars" in his own country didn't get the same ideas as the French peasants who rose up against their "betters". 

George did make a mention of not using quite such a heavy hand with the "vulgars" (what a typically George phrase to use!), but I think he thinks his natural superiority would save him in that kind of uprising.

Did anyone else wonder if Elizabeth had dosed George's sherry in that last scene? Or was the laudanum too precious to waste? I'd spend my days doped to the eyeballs if I were married to George, that's for sure. Even when he tries to do the decent thing he fails completely.

Good on Ross for trying to find Enys, but the scenes in France bored me to tears. I hope this doesn't get dragged out much longer.

Edited by dubbel zout
spelling
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, sas616 said:

That's exactly what I thought when Geoffrey Charles made that remark--Elizabeth has dark hair so what's the big deal?   In the "original" Poldark, Elizabeth was blonde, so that the comments about the baby being dark made more sense.

He said the baby looked nothing like him, not Elizabeth. An "innocent" comment that stings Elizabeth, given her uncertainty ? about his father. She's wondering, did I pull this off or not?

The editing in this episode drove me crazy, jumping from scene to scene. 

And in the original adaptation, the actor playing George had very dark brown/black hair. LOL! However, he did look much more like someone who had risen from the mercantile/working class. 

In any event, I agree that it was odd for Elizabeth to suddenly be agreeable to letting Geoffrey Charles remain behind. However, I often thought that Elizabeth used Geoffrey Charles as a crutch or an excuse. She was always putting her "duties" to her son before Francis even when it was not required, and I think she also used him to put off George. However, as soon as Geoffrey Charles said something that put her deception about her pregnancy into question, she was willing to leave him behind. But, frankly, that's just as well. As someone mentioned, children -- especially of his age -- often had governesses or were sent off to school, so they wouldn't necessarily be directly parented by their mother on a 24/7 basis. And, Elizabeth -- I've felt -- was trying to protect *all* her children. By leaving GC behind, that kept him from irritating George and, by separating the two children, as well as Agatha from Valentine, that kept George from having suspicions about Valentine. In this way, both children were better off.

• Love 4

The editing in this episode drove me crazy, jumping from scene to scene. 

This episode was pretty choppy.  Did PBS cut a scene that showed how Ross got back to Cornwall?  He just rides up on his horse like Blackie was waiting for him on the beach the whole time he was gone.  LOL!

• Love 1

I think the infant cast as pale as George and his hair easily explained by Elizabeth's. I don't look at the child cast in the role & think love child of Ross Poldark.

If Elizabeth was more cunning & assertive (rather than limited in terms of options, selfish & weak with nerves to match) & George less drug addiction inducing evil, Agatha less mouthy & Ross less impulsive & self-destructive, I think the violent horse episode and walking -- that George expressed concern about -- could have been used to explain Valentine's early arrival. Not to mention, that ridiculous corset... When I saw Elizabeth in the bed chamber minus the corset before her first contraction, I thought, that poor kid.

So so episode.

Not enough nana poldark. 

Yes, them alluding to the baby being a poldark snd having more of ross' likeness and such is completely ridiculous considering how they're completely ignoring Elizabeth's features.

So what's Elizabeth gonna get addicted to? I didn't hear what the doctor said. 

I actually thought elizabeth's outburst was out of character or poorly done. I know she and demelza don't like each other, but her outburst was just weird and over the top.

Rolled my eyes at ross making googly eyes at the french bar maid. 

I'm actually surprised ross showed up back home without having saved dwight first. He actually used his brain a little. 

George's attempt at being the people's friend...ended as quickly as it began. 

32 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

So what's Elizabeth gonna get addicted to? I didn't hear what the doctor said. 

laudanum.

32 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Rolled my eyes at ross making googly eyes at the french bar maid. 

Funny. I thought it was the other way around. She was trying to entice him to her room. And he kept telling her he was married. I didn't see any googly eyes from his side. Now from the guy he was with, that old reprobate, whose name I can't recall, HE was definitely making eyes at her and was hoping she'd take him up or make him an offer.

• Love 1

That French dame was a spy, so her creepy, stalkerish eye-balling Ross was totally with the intention of luring him & spying on him.  Was she actually attracted to Ross & wanted him to bang her?  That may have only been in his head.  Man, he can be such a lunkhead jerk with an inflated ego.

Jeez Louise, Demelza was giving an awful lot of cleavage in this ep.  Was it supposed to be cuz of the pregnancy -- or were the costumers eager to show off Eleanor's boobies?

Caroline didn't bug me in this ep -- at least not much as she usually does, altho she was too weepy for me.  That actress still gives off way too much smugginess in her line readings.  It's kinda icky.

The Carne brothers?  Meh, I'm bored by both of 'em.

Still say the actor who plays George is terribly miscast.  The way he constantly juts out his chin, pointed to the sky, and his generally prissy manner, is suggestive of someone to-the-manor-born for dozens of generations.  That's clearly not who the character of George is supposed to be.

• Love 1