Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: What Do I Care For Morning

• Start Topic

Micah finds solace at Nova's place. Charley confronts Davis about their custody arrangement. Aunt Violet's time with Hollywood might be short-lived. Nova meets someone at a symposium. Ralph Angel confronts Jacob Boudreaux about spying on his property.

• Love 1

The scientist that Nova met was very cute and endearing.  I hope she reaches out and starts something with him.

I don't know what to say about Ralph Angel.  Why did he bring the drone back to the office of those assholes and not file a police report to show the levels they sink too?  He's very short-sighted.

They brought up more information about Charley's mom!  These little tidbits are making me very interested to finally meet her.  I hope Davis is on the up-and-up regarding Micah, Micah doesn't need any more stress in his life.

I laughed out loud at the clip of Oprah's show appearing in the show.  A good way to self-promote.  I hope Hollywood and Violet manage to keep things together.

• Love 2

Parts of this episode had such a weird tone to me - mainly all the tense moments with the drone/office stuff and then even the attempted robbery. I'm worried they're gonna do something too dramatic there, it was giving me S2 of Friday Night Lights feelings.

But otherwise, I enjoyed the episode.

6 hours ago, peridot said:

The scientist that Nova met was very cute and endearing.  I hope she reaches out and starts something with him.

I don't know what to say about Ralph Angel.  Why did he bring the drone back to the office of those assholes and not file a police report to show the levels they sink too?  He's very short-sighted.

They brought up more information about Charley's mom!  These little tidbits are making me very interested to finally meet her.  I hope Davis is on the up-and-up regarding Micah, Micah doesn't need any more stress in his life.

I laughed out loud at the clip of Oprah's show appearing in the show.  A good way to self-promote.  I hope Hollywood and Violet manage to keep things together.

I hope this means she will make an appearance.

Seeing how impatient Ralph Angel has been I wouldn’t be surprise if Ralph Angel drops the letter on his sisters before a profit is made on the farm. He’s not that bright. Now that we’ve learned more about the loan, it doesn’t sound like a good idea since Ralph Angel had to put up part of the farm as collateral. More proof he’s not bright, going to the Bordreaux office and bringing back the drone and not wanting to go to the police with more proof of what Landry and the Bordeaux are doing. Both scenes had me yelling at the TV, “Are you stupid?” Where did this tension between Charley and Ralph Angel come from? I can’t remember a lot of tension between them in season one. There was more between Nova and Charley.

I wish Charley hadn’t given in on the loan for Ralph Angel. His actions in this episode alone is proof he can’t handle the magnitude what that loan means and what will happen if he doesn’t get a profit with the soybean he wants to grow. What they should be investing in are some cameras around the farm or hiring people who need extra cash to patrol the farm and look out for Landry and Bordreaux influence.

• Love 3

The tension with Charley and Ralph Angel began very early. 

It was initially overshadowed by the passionate fights between Nova and Charley, and because Charley and Ralph Angel were largely obsessed with their own respective situations, but began to gain prominence once Ralph began working at the farm and Nova and Charley settled most of their outstanding issues.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I hope this means she will make an appearance.

Seeing how impatient Ralph Angel has been I wouldn’t be surprise if Ralph Angel drops the letter on his sisters before a profit is made on the farm. He’s not that bright. Now that we’ve learned more about the loan, it doesn’t sound like a good idea since Ralph Angel had to put up part of the farm as collateral. More proof he’s not bright, going to the Bordreaux office and bringing back the drone and not wanting to go to the police with more proof of what Landry and the Bordeaux are doing. Both scenes had me yelling at the TV, “Are you stupid?” Where did this tension between Charley and Ralph Angel come from? I can’t remember a lot of tension between them in season one. There was more between Nova and Charley.

I wish Charley hadn’t given in on the loan for Ralph Angel. His actions in this episode alone is proof he can’t handle the magnitude what that loan means and what will happen if he doesn’t get a profit with the soybean he wants to grow. What they should be investing in are some cameras around the farm or hiring people who need extra cash to patrol the farm and look out for Landry and Bordreaux influence.

4 minutes ago, notagain said:

I'm the only one to think the police report would have 'disappeared' if the incident was reported to them?

Nova and the doctor were cute. 

I'm with you, notagain. I think the reasons for Ralph Angel not involving the police are manifold: (1) as a former convicted felon, he's trying to look out for a fellow Black man and spare him from the same fate; (2) seeing as how connected the Boudreaux family is, they could have made any police report go away; and (2a) the Boudreauxes (what's the plural here?) would have easily scapegoated Henry Lee and the other Black men they paid to steal the cane. 

Speaking of Black men, my heart fluttered when I saw Jelani Cobb! I think he's so handsome, and that's punctuated by the fact that he's effing smart and thoughtful. He and Khalil Gibran Muhammad are my two academic crushes. I'm also hoping that something sparks up down the line between Nova and Dr. Dubois. They seemed good together, both challenging one another on some pretty hard questions. 

Lastly, I just can't get behind Charley. I find her so off-putting. It seems her first instinct is to condescend and it makes me wrinkle my nose in her direction a good 90% of the time.

OK, lastly for real: Yay to Vi and Wood! I love it, love it, love it, that they're showing an older woman still and forever having her groove (not "getting her groove back" when we talking about Vi). She and Wood love each other and it makes my heart swell. 

• Love 5

A drone? Trespassing on other people's property is so much easier now with technology.

What was Charley thinking? Davis owns her now because of her fraud, even though he says he'd never play that card. Whatever, countdown until he's got Micah partying with basketball groupies who just happened to have dropped by his condo...

Loved how Nova was looking all refreshed at the end.

1 hour ago, Mozelle said:

More proof he’s not bright, going to the Bordreaux office and bringing back the drone and not wanting to go to the police with more proof of what Landry and the Bordeaux are doing. Both scenes had me yelling at the TV, “Are you stupid?”

That answer is "YES".

• Love 2

Charley never should have let RA get his way. 

Davis trying to black mail her over Micah was just stupid. Especially when he lied in the divorce hearing about Micah wanting to be with him part time.

Aww no Remy, but nice to seee Hollywod&Vi happy.

I kept expecting Calvin to appear in Atlanta lol. 

Hello Dr. Dubois, and Calvin who? The epidemiologist reminded me of Sterling K Brown, even cuter!

As one of three siblings, it is painful to see the tension between Charley and RA. I hope they work through it.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dee said:

The tension with Charley and Ralph Angel began very early. 

Thanks. I'll have to watch season one again. 

As for the police report disappearing couldn't  Charley go to the closest precinct that may not be influenced by the Landry and Boudreaux and mention their concerns about the local police being influenced? Maybe if another precinct was looking in on them the local precinct may follow the law. Couldn't Charley say she wouldn't press charges against the farmer since he was working for Landry and they are the ones responsible. If all that fails maybe Nova can write a story for the paper. 

Whatever they decide to do increasing security must be a top priority on the farm. Lock Remy sugarcane in a storage unit with a loud alarm, cameras or even a drone of their own  They need more than guns. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, notagain said:

I'm the only one to think the police report would have 'disappeared' if the incident was reported to them?

Nova and the doctor were cute. 

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing.. Ralph Angel may not be brightest,, but he's street wise and he know the game. Those people own that town.

Edited by byrd
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

As for the police report disappearing couldn't  Charley go to the closest precinct that may not be influenced by the Landry and Boudreaux and mention their concerns about the local police being influenced? Maybe if another precinct was looking in on them the local precinct may follow the law. Couldn't Charley say she wouldn't press charges against the farmer since he was working for Landry and they are the ones responsible. If all that fails maybe Nova can write a story for the paper. 

No disrespect but this is better fantasy writing than a Star Trek episode.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

No disrespect but this is better fantasy writing than a Star Trek episode.

I know it will never happen that way. It's TV therefore it has to have drama and characters do all kinds of things to entertain us. 

But if it did I would happily cash that check from Ms. DuVernay and brag how my fantasy writing got on TV. :)

(edited)
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I know it will never happen that way. It's TV therefore it has to have drama and characters do all kinds of things to entertain us. 

Actually I was thinking a black family trusting the police in the South is fantasy. The idea that police would do anything about it is laughable. Landry would get a "talking to" about not upsetting the uppity, rich negress, the end. 

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, notagain said:

Not at all.  And any other precinct would say (rightly) "Not in our jurisdiction".
What Charley could do is get a writer from the Atlantic (or similar) to write about "Where Does Your Sugar Come From?"  Coke, Pepsi and the like wouldn't want to do business with a bunch of Klan-descended racists.  Although that might be better after the Queen Sugar Mill is up and running.

14 hours ago, Mozelle said:

Yay to Vi and Wood! I love it, love it, love it, that they're showing an older woman still and forever having her groove (not "getting her groove back" when we talking about Vi).

When she was jiggalating her "grooves" in the pool I was "Alrighty now!!!"

• Love 1

I hate Vi and Wood's reunion, because the circumstances surrounding it are a very cheap way to circumvent the very real issues that caused their split in the first place.

I get that the rest of the family longed to see them united, but their wholesale re-embrace of Wood, at Vi's expense, will forever be irritating.

I get the theme of the episode was 'Second Chances' but I resent QS trying to pivot Ralph Angel from 'misunderstood former felon' to 'competent farmer' because the writing is ridiculously subpar. Kofi Siriboe is a solid actor, capable of good work, but 'Ralph Angel: The Tyler Perry Years' is a no from me dawg.

I really love Nova and Dr. DuBois. He's a nice change for her after Chantal and Calvin, neither of whom were willing to see, or accept, Nova as a whole person. Time will tell if Dr. DuBois is any better, but he's off to a promising start imo.

Davis is still terrible. Using Lorna and True to get Charley to allow him increased visitation to Micah's life was low. Also low was his implicit threat of revealing Charley's forgery. If he had no plans to press the issue, as he told her when she was leaving, why even bring it up?

The quiet moment of reassurance between Ralph Angel and Micah was sweet. The poor kid needs all the emotional support he can get.

12 hours ago, Dee said:

Kofi Siriboe is a solid actor, capable of good work, but 'Ralph Angel: The Tyler Perry Years' is a no from me dawg.

The Tyler Perry [Anything] is a no from me, regardless of who's in it.

• Love 1

You know, if Calvin is gone for real, I can totally be into Nova and the cute scientist guy. I'm sure there is some good reason for him to come to Louisiana! He and Nova seemed to really connect, and he is passionate about the same thing she's passionate about, he just comes at it from a different angle, which I think would make them a good couple. I actually wanted to see more of the symposium, it looked pretty interesting. I kind of giggled at the crowd first applauding Nova calling mass incarceration genocide, than applauding when cute scientist guy disagreed with her. I've been to a few symposiums, and you get a lot of that. "Crap, I applauded that last person, but that OTHER person who disagrees with them just said something smart too! Just keep clapping damn it!"

Oh Ralph Angel. For one thing, stop pulling your guns! Escalating with firearms is never a good thing, especially for a felon! And, I get his impulses to protect his family and farm, but the guy is just SO short sighted! Maybe it wouldn't have done much good calling the cops, but it was better than just letting the guy trespassing on your property walk off. I understand that he felt bad for the farmer, but they need to do something other than just telling the assholes to knock it off. And maybe don't show up at the office and almost beat the shit out of your business rival? Those guys are total assholes, and punching him might FEEL good, but even the asshole son told him if he did that he would go to prison. I think RA has good intentions, but he was rather spoiled as a kid, so he struggles with conflict and lashes out, and he still has some prison mindset (threats can be dealt with "like a man") that he keeps applying it in situations where it doesn't work. I did really like his scene with Micah. The poor kid needs all the support he can get.

I'm super happy for Vi and Hollywood, and I'm thrilled they're back together, but I do hope they can work on their issues for real now. Granted, I understand why Hollywood did what he did, but I also understand why Vi was so upset, and just getting back together and eating strawberries isn't going to make that whole situation go away.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I actually wanted to see more of the symposium, it looked pretty interesting.

"I'd like to thank our guests: Nova Bordelon and Dr Dubois and you other two chair-warmers who don't get your Equity card."

• Love 8
On 6/28/2017 at 8:38 PM, peridot said:

I didn't even think of that, but now that I am - Hollywood's line that it was like being in church is even funnier.

On 6/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, tennisgurl said:

You know, if Calvin is gone for real, I can totally be into Nova and the cute scientist guy. I'm sure there is some good reason for him to come to Louisiana! He and Nova seemed to really connect, and he is passionate about the same thing she's passionate about, he just comes at it from a different angle, which I think would make them a good couple.

I'm super happy for Vi and Hollywood, and I'm thrilled they're back together, but I do hope they can work on their issues for real now. Granted, I understand why Hollywood did what he did, but I also understand why Vi was so upset, and just getting back together and eating strawberries isn't going to make that whole situation go away.

My husband and I often have "arguments" where we realize we're saying the same thing, but from different angles. So I really connected with that scene.

As for Hollywood and Vi, sometimes a near death can clarify what's most important to you and if not smooth over problems, then help you overcome the barriers you've put up that keep you from dealing with them.

• Love 2

Ugh, the Landry and Boudreaux or whoever the fuck they are, are gross, disgusting people.  Those are the type of white folks who just can't leave black people the fuck alone.  It's like they can't just do their thing, like they can't exist without fucking black folks over.

• Love 3
On 2017-06-30 at 2:52 AM, Dee said:

The quiet moment of reassurance between Ralph Angel and Micah was sweet. The poor kid needs all the emotional support he can get.

Yeah scenes like that show that Ralph Angel might actually be a great or at least a good man someday. Its what makes him such a frustrating realistic wonderful character to watch.

• Love 3