Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

From the BTS interview with Shirley MaCLaine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GMeZaN6ic

Shirley M:
"Darren is playing a duo with a gay man"

How in the world did Glee PR allow that to remain in the footage aired to the public? Somehow it's extraordinary that Darren a straight man sings with a gay man? 

I mean, Chris Colfer reduced soley by his sexual orientation in the description. What difference does it make in this day and age? If the actor playing Kurt the character is played by a gay man?  

Apparently in a rare move I hear Chris in is his own way already shaded her comment. Good for him.

Seriously, this is worse than "the sexual preference" of a few weeks back.

Chris QA:

TVLINE | So we shouldn’t expect Kurt to break up with, then murder, Blaine?

"No, no that won’t happen in this episode. Maybe Season 6, but the blood won’t be on my hands. That’ll be someone else’s episode."

Oh that Chris....

• Love 1

Article in Slate ("Glee Can’t Afford to Lose Its Last Good Character") about how they need to keep the character of Santana on Glee.  As a Santana fan, I generally agree although it may be a bit overstated.   However this line kinda cracked me up:

And it’s been refreshing to watch a show anchored by two female stars.

The two female stars are supposedly Lea and Naya, and my response would be what?  Has she been watching the show?  Because I would say the two anchors are Lea and Darren.  

However, I do agree that they need Santana's character to keep some bite on the show.  I'm glad they have some time (a cooling off period?) to resolve the Naya/Glee issues so that if there IS a Season 6, Santana will be part of it.

(edited)

Any show needs a antagonist that is what Santana is to glee.   Wierd thier biggest antagonist w/o Santana or Sue now is Rachel who is the shows protagonist as well.

Its Last Good Character

I don't think Santana is the last good character. I think most have good potenial still.  Rachel and Kurt could be great characters but Rachel is all over the place and Kurt is sidelined and seem to be stuck as the moral highground.  Even Santana has be written bad when she goes for the jugglar it isn't always funny.

Give these good actors good material and thier characters would be fine.

Edited by tom87

I thought Santana's characterization was awful and all over the place this season especially her last few episodes.  She went from wanting success in acting/performance to abandoning everything to fly off with her high school girlfriend on a whim or supportive friend to psycho bully back to supportive friend.  It gave me whiplash and made no sense.  The fight with Rachel was completely stupid and unsatisfactorily resolved.  

Most of the characters have or had potential to be good and interesting, but the writing has severely failed in that respect.  I don't think there's any hope of any good characterization left for any of the characters remaining or recently departed.  Not from the writing anyway.  The writers have absolutely killed the show.

I thought Santana's characterization was awful and all over the place this season especially her last few episodes.

Well, yes, this is true.  And I coudln't agree more about the fight with Rachel.  Hmm.  Actually I agree with your whole post.

And yet I still loved the occasionally good snarky moments...  Clearly I have a problem, one that perhaps the ratings are going to fix for me...

Fandom Fixes: It’s time to say goodbye to “Glee”

I have been writing about TV for almost ten years now, and I have never seen another show come close to achieving the same level of what-the-fuckery as Glee. The way the producers antagonize and belittle the most dedicated fans. The perpetual squandering of talent. The waving around GLAAD Awards while dropping sexist, homophobic, biphobic, transphobic “jokes” on the regular. But mostly, the inconceivably awful storytelling. Glee‘s biggest WTF is the fact that the show has lasted five seasons, and outside of the first 13 episodes, it has been apparent to almost everyone from casual fans to professional critics that the creative team has no idea what on earth they are doing. In every possible way: no idea.

Hopping on the post from @Cranberry from this article:

So, here’s my Fandom Fixes suggestion: There’s one season of Glee left. The very best thing the producers and Fox could do is truncate it down to a half-season and give every original New Directioner a send-off episode. That way, time doesn’t matter. And what came before doesn’t matter. And nothing will come after, so we don’t have to hold our collective breath and wonder how they’re going to tank things this time. We can meet Quinn two years out of college; we can visit Rachel on the pilot episode of her television show; we can attend Kurt and Blaine’s wedding; we can see what happens when Brittany and Santana are allowed to spend more than two minutes talking to each other; we can cheer Mercedes on as she receives her first Grammy Award; we can screen Artie’s first film; we can vote for Tina in her first Congressional election.

I could deal with the above, very easily.

• Love 5

@Sara2009, you can post in that specific actor's thread (feel free to create one if they don't have one), or you can start a catch-all "Cast in Other Roles" type of thread... whichever you think would work best for what you'd like to discuss!

I like Fandom Fixes' suggestion about each character getting a sendoff episode.  In my version it would include other relevant characters [to that one] too, but each could focus on an original New Direction member, like an episode of OITNB, a show hundreds of powers better than this one.

• Love 2
(edited)

But it would have to be more like Orange is the New Black or Skins and not like the last Netflix season of Arrested Development in which the characters were isolated from each other. This show needs the ensemble to work at all. But, for instance, you could have ensemble scenes and current day development interspersed with flashbacks of what the characters went through over the past few years. (Assuming a time jump.)

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 2

Wow.  Did they watch the rest of the season?  I certainly wouldn't have picked *that* episode - almost anything set at McKinley ranks lower in my opinion.

• Love 1
(edited)

Puppet Master gets my vote as worse .

Katy/Gaga was pretty bland and City of Angles except for Skylar was forgettable and did not like them trying to tweak a little more out of Finn.  I got more feeling of Finn from just a look fromRachel or Kurt describing how he felt numb than anyhting they tried to convey with the glee club and Chord out of the blue being a leader.

Sad thing is I think I liked season 5 overall more than 4.

Edited by tom87
Extraordinary Merry Christmas

You mean in season 3???

"Previously Unaired Christmas" - was one of the more fun ones I thought.  Even the birthing fo the baby Jesus  performance of Love Child at Mck was funny.  One of the few times I laughed at the new kids.

(edited)

For what it's worth, imo season 4's 'Glee, Actually' was the worst of the Christmas episodes.

I really liked the black and white segment of 'Extraordinary Merry Christmas', and 'Previously Unaired Christmas' felt like the old cracky ironic fun of the first seasons.

And of course also imo: 'Old Dog, New Tricks' was far from the worst episode in season 5. I liked it a lot, and not just because Chris wrote it and Kurt got some focus. I liked it because there was enough silly fun in it to still call Glee a comedy, but besides that fun there was still some character development for some of the characters. And most importantly: I thought the characters in Chris' episode were actually recognizable and in character again for a change.

There are a lot of episodes from season 5 I could nominate for worst episode, like 'A Katy or a Gaga', 'Puppet Master', 'City of Angels'  and 'The End of Twerk'.

Edited by Glorfindel
(edited)

God, For Marley's " wrecking ball" number alone "A Katy or a Gaga " wins hands down for worst episode.

Wait, " City of Angels" which revisited Marley's angst ( horror she is going to quit Glee! Let's all rally around her) is pretty close too, but it had the glory that was Skylar.

Edited by caracas1914

For what it's worth, imo season 4's 'Glee, Actually' was the worst of the Christmas episodes.

I really liked the black and white segment of 'Extraordinary Merry Christmas', and 'Previously Unaired Christmas' felt like the old cracky ironic fun of the first seasons.

There are a lot of episodes from season 5 I could nominate for worst episode, like 'A Katy or a Gaga', 'Puppet Master', 'City of Angels'  and 'The End of Twerk'.

I agree Love actually was horrible and boring from start to finish.  Klaine was horrible of course and Arty was never even close to the heart of glee club even in his mind.  I do not remember if there was another storyline.

I did  like the history of dance and the Rachel/Kurt tattoo story in end of the twerk though.  Bllurred lines and wreaking ball knocked it down a bunch though.

I liked Unique's story in " The End of Twerk."

The bad:

Blaine twerking and subsequently acting as if he was good at it.

anyone twerking

Blurred lInes

Wreaking Ball

Marley angst.

Tina loving the portapotty

Good

Hummelberry

History of dance

Unique

Unique

I thought the Unique story had some good potential, but it was marred by the one note portrayal of the character  from Alex (and the  writers) as a sad, weepy victim with no backbone, ie a black, transgender oversized Marley.  Granted, Alex killed the  number (If I was a boy) with the  singing.    As someone had mentioned, he was a poor man's lovechild of Kurt and Mercedes.

The reviewer from the AV club also gave Puppet Master a B-, so any kind of opinion coming from them regarding Glee is invalid in my eyes. While Old Dog New Tricks had its flaws, it was far from being as horrendous as lots of other episode were. But anyway, the whole season sucked, I don't feel like any episode (except the Quarterback maybe, but that is a different context) was worth of attention.

I thought there were some decent episodes  more than in  season 4 tbh.    Glee has always been more about a few good moment than being able to peace together to many episode that were great overall.

(edited)

I'm sorry if I upset you. I wasn't trying to drag the rest of the cast into it or make this about myself. I was thinking I'm sure Corey's passing was on their mind as fans have been talking about it being almost a year since he passed. Then this tragedy has to happen to Becca at an already hard time for them mourning Corey. It's sad. That's all I meant. It just popped up in my mind. I've deleted the post.

Edited by Sugarsprinkles
(edited)

Because of how young Matt Bendik was and because of the circumstances and timing of his death (in a hotel room almost a year since Cory passed) unfortunately Cory’s passing is going to be brought up in the media in relation to this. Hopefully that will be as minimal as possible because this is a tragedy in its own right for Becca Tobin.  It shouldn’t be minimized by making it part of some larger Glee story.  

That said I don't blame people on a discussion board for noting the timing and similarities.  After all, whether someone is a celebrity or not, people note these sort of connections in discussions in everyday life i.e. "didn't something similar happen  to X's friend around this time last year?  Now her boyfriend.  Very strange and very sad."  To me that is different than writing a media piece about it or tweeting the Glee cast and crew about it and bringing Cory into those tweets (as I am sure a few immature and stupid people are doing).  

Edited by camussie

Sadly it is inevitable.  I have already seen people suggesting Lea needs to  "step up" and support her and so on.  Or how July is cursed or weak jokes about being a boyfriend to a glee cast member.

It is truley sad in in its own right , but I do not trust the press not to go with the Cory and/or Lea stuff.

(edited)

I think they will also do a toxicology exam and then give their final opinion on his death.

You just know it's gonna be heroin and champagne.

Glee is cursed, I tell you!  CURSED!  I fully expect to be slaughtered by

myself, simply because of my tangential association with this ongoing nightmare. Edited by Demian
  • Love 5

Fortunately for Becca, she's not nearly as high profile on the show as Lea and Cory are/were so while there's a spark of initial interest, I don't think she's going to have to deal with the level of media attention that Lea did.

• Love 1
(edited)

Congrats to all the Glee cast who had fun with the ice bucket challenge that brings attention and $$ to a worthwhile cause of ALS. I heard they raised 15 million with the bucket challenge this year, fantastic!!!

In particular I loved Grant Gustin and Chris Colfers videos, ( and Chris shoutout to recycled water!).

My friends and I also had fun with it, posting silly you tubes. My great aunt was stricken with this condition and every bit hopefully gets us closer to more effective treatment.

Just something else to ponder about putting these challenges into a  positive perspective:

http://nofunphillips.tumblr.com/post/95059790592/on-the-ice-bucket-challenge

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2