Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: All The Time In The World

(edited)

Since no one made a topic for this I will.   

Unbeknownst to the rest of the crew, Three has been trapped in a time loop, reliving the same day.

Well that was a fucked up Groundhog's day/Butterfly Effect episode and I approve.   Anthony Lemke (Three) And Zoie Palmer (Android) were fantastic like always.  But damn!!!!!

I think I am putting this in for my early pick for best episode of the season.    Funny at parts.  Thrilling at parts.  And damn.....yes ithe show went there at parts.  Yes I am putting this episode in as my early pick for best episode of the season.

So does this mean Five is going to make it to the end of the universe because that is so like Five.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 17

A most enjoyable episode, with just he right amount of humor.  It was pretty easy to follow, although I didn't quite get some of the references in the Android scenes, and I don't get the point of the Sarah stuff at all.  Three is already humanized, as far as I'm concerned. 

I assume Five made it to the end not just because she is sneaky and smart, but she is also the youngest.

• Love 3

Hilarious episode.  Three really is the best choice to be stuck in a time loop and relive each day, Groundhog Day style.  And I actually liked that they skipped the discovery phase of it, and he was already in annoyed, over it mood by the time the episode started.  I liked how he was able to finally convince everyone that he was telling the truth, even if it took him a while (and a few knockout punches!)  Anthony Lemke was great.

Also got a kick out of everyone else's reactions, especially Two being completely baffled and doubtful, and Andriod more or less going with it, even if she wasn't sure if she actually believed him or not.

Not surprised Six leaving is still effecting Five.  Glad Three was finally able to find a way to say the right thing to her (or close to it.)  But I noticed that Roger Cross is still being billed, so I have a feeling he'll be back.

The two newbies were a little better in this episode.

Not sure what is going on with Sarah.  Have a feeling it won't end well.

So, Five is still going to be alive by the time the universe ends.  Hmm.  Also, a few more hints about what is to come like Ryo eventually falling and some kind of double cross?

The final shot confused me: who is it that Ryo has tracking the Raza?

• Love 9
(edited)

Really loved the episode ! 

I mean, Dark Matter has always been a guilty pleasure bordering on genuine great pleasure on some occasions, and I must say, the more time passes, the less it becomes guilty and the more it becomes genuine ! 

Loved the teasing of things to come, the Black Ships, the Accelerated, the fall of the Ishida House, etc... hope the series will run long enough to deliver it all ! 

And apparently, standard French of the future is Quebecois ! :D 

Edited by Triskan
  • Love 7

Just wanted to add: thanks, show for having Ash run around in his underwear.  I'm sorry that he was killed off so quickly, that would have been a nice recurring gift to viewers like me.   In a non-creepy way, of course.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hilarious episode.  Three really is the best choice to be stuck in a time loop and relive each day, Groundhog Day style.  And I actually liked that they skipped the discovery phase of it, and he was already in annoyed, over it mood by the time the episode started.  I liked how he was able to finally convince everyone that he was telling the truth, even if it took him a while (and a few knockout punches!)  Anthony Lemke was great.

This. Picking it up already in the loop was a great choice. I'm not the biggest 3 fan, but AL did a superb job here. His continued forgetting of the ship's engine problem until he unknowingly memorized it in French(!) was hysterical. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I liked this one. It was a twist on the old time loop trope. (Loved Adrian being drawn into the loop)

Anthony Lemke was fantastic. I especially loved hearing him speak French. I also liked Three's scenes with Sara. AL always conveys a poignant vulnerability in Three/Sara scenes.

Adrian and Solara are growing on me. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 8

Excellent episode. Mallozzi and Mullie also did Stargate's "Window of opportunity", one of that show's best episodes.

What we did learn this episode is that the Android is not standard issue, so it goes beyond reprogramming and extension cards. She is not a basic model and someone created her.

Speaking about creators, there was some professor/inventor associated with Tabor Calchek who made the time loop device. Wonder if he had anything to do with the Android and/or the Raza itself.

The Androids time jumps were very interesting, I wonder if the first jump (three shooting her with a stun weapon) was to the (near?) future or to the past (from before the pilot episode?).

Old-Five mentioned the following things: dwarf stars' conspiracy (we pretty much knew evil Wesley Crusher would be back),  the double deception (that's intriguing - I hope it has something to do with Derrick Moss), Kryden (no family from Kryten of Red Dwarf?), Corrina, the accelerated, the fall of the house of Ishida, the meeting with Android's creator, the black ships and "not a happy ending for everyone". Mallozzi had already mentioned in an interview that the latter would be the case, and I guess we can already put One and Four in the unhappy ending category.

With all those assassins around, I'm worried about Six. If someone finds out where he is...

• Love 7
18 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I assume Five made it to the end not just because she is sneaky and smart, but she is also the youngest.

FWIW, since they were at the end of the universe, Five being a little younger doesn't make much difference. :)

It's interesting that the time loop device was intact again in that scene. Old Five seemed to know that the Android would destroy it, so will it be repaired at some point? Also, if Old Five lived the solution to the loop, and told the android how to end it, that's a nicely understated predestination paradox.

Having Maro and the assassin join 3's loop was a nice wrinkle I wasn't expecting.

Maro reminds me a bit of HR over on The Flash. A character who is both useless and annoying, but for some reason gets to stay on the team. I do fine the humor about Maro funnier than the HR stuff, which even Tom Cavanagh couldn't save a lot of the time.

The Dark Matter universe reminds me a little of Blake' 7 in that there is all this breakthrough science being done at small, isolated secret labs that just build one off prototypes but don't leave lab notes? (I guess it's unclear if the phasing tech is something we will see again.) It is a handy way to introduce "plot devices" so to speak.

• Love 3

Lots of those inventions seem to be illegal, which is a good reason not too keep labnotes (at least, not in plain sight).

I suppose the Android had the device with her and brought it through each loop, until she returned to the starting point.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Wouter said:

I suppose the Android had the device with her and brought it through each loop, until she returned to the starting point.

I don't remember the device being in any other scenes, i'll have to double check. Also, it seemed to be about moving consciousnesses through time, not physical objects.

• Love 1

You're right, Five brought the device to the end point, not the timeshifting Android. Curious...

Also interesting, looks like (some of) the Raza crew will eventually make a positive difference for "the universe". So it seems that some day, something like they tried to do at EOS7 but failed, will actually be succesful. But possibly at a cost. It has always been a redemption story.

• Love 2

The Android's "loop" seemed like a totally different story -- not just because she went forward rather than back, but tonally as well. 

But definitely a good ep -- my favorite part was all the ways Solara "reset" Three!

• Love 7

Something from Mallozzi through Reddit:

"Every one of the little teasers we learn in this episode WILL be revealed before series end. 4 will come before the end of this season the other 4 in the coming two."

I'm guessing we will see "the fall of the house of Ishida" at the end of the season. Wonder what the other 3 will be, though the Android's creator may be one of them and possibly Dwarf Star will come back into play as well.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

The Dark Matter universe reminds me a little of Blake' 7 in that there is all this breakthrough science being done at small, isolated secret labs that just build one off prototypes but don't leave lab notes? (I guess it's unclear if the phasing tech is something we will see again.) It is a handy way to introduce "plot devices" so to speak.

Alot of what we are talking about is illegal tech so I can see lab notes being kept in their own kind of secret labs.  When we are talking about corporate wars even the legal tech would be a kind of comodity that would be worth keeping under tight guard so I can see alot of the tech we are seeing as the dry run for what will eventually be something under mass production or would have if our crew hadn't gotten involved.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I usually hate groundhog day plots because they bring nothing new to the table, they're normally classic bottle episodes. Which certainly wasn't the case here. (Did we ever have a classic bottle-episode?) And I absolutely loved how we got right into the action i.e. Three already in time-loop-ennui. The show figured rightly that the audience was familiar enough with the trope that we did not need to see how the beginnings. Bonus: they could also hide the timey-wimey device that way from us so we were in the dark about the loop's origin. But I do have questions: how did that get onto the Raza? In a crate that nobody ever bothered to open until Three started snooping around? So Adrian never touched it in all that time he had it? Odd.

Obviously there are bigger fish to fry with regards to all the things the Android saw. Did she only jump into the future or were some jumps also into the past. I thought Three taking her out and Two talking to her about tears were from the past. I wonder if she's about to share her knowledge with the others or not. And yes, I would also like to know who Ryo got in that chair. Probably another one of those damned Seers. I guess it was significant that we did not see the person's face - maybe it's someone we know.

Lemke was great. My favorite scene was when he finally managed to get through to Five. That smile was ice-block-melting.

54 minutes ago, Wouter said:

I'm guessing we will see "the fall of the house of Ishida" at the end of the season. Wonder what the other 3 will be, though the Android's creator may be one of them and possibly Dwarf Star will come back into play as well.

He's quite confident that the show gets another two seasons. Hopefully he's right!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I usually hate groundhog day plots because they bring nothing new to the table, they're normally classic bottle episodes. Which certainly wasn't the case here. (Did we ever have a classic bottle-episode?)

Wouldn't this be considered a "bottle" episode?  We had one non-regular cast member (two if you count the person in the chair) and no new sets (since no one actually got to the station).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Wouter said:

Excellent episode. Mallozzi and Mullie also did Stargate's "Window of opportunity", one of that show's best episodes.

One of THE best time loop episodes of all series. Though, TNG's Cause and Effect was a favorite also.

Not enjoying Mr. Comic Relief. 

Kept wondering when Virtual Sarah would be tied into the time loop. 

Mr Assassin didn't seem so smart, trying to run through the energy screen. 

I do like the feel of this show. It took a while, but now it reminds me of Farscape but darker. Kryden/Crichton? 

Android Liberation Front... ALF?!

Interesting peaks at the future. Mirror Android!

(edited)
21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Obviously there are bigger fish to fry with regards to all the things the Android saw. Did she only jump into the future or were some jumps also into the past. I thought Three taking her out and Two talking to her about tears were from the past. I wonder if she's about to share her knowledge with the others or not. And yes, I would also like to know who Ryo got in that chair. Probably another one of those damned Seers. I guess it was significant that we did not see the person's face - maybe it's someone we know.

Lemke was great. My favorite scene was when he finally managed to get through to Five. That smile was ice-block-melting.

He's quite confident that the show gets another two seasons. Hopefully he's right!

I was wondering about those first Android time jumps, too. Three shooting her could be related to the "Android liberation front" if its in the near future (remember how we feared that those rogue Android group would set Zobot against the rest of the crew?), but it may well be from the past as well. The Android was deactivated in the pilot episode, and that a time when she should have been guarding the ship while everyone was sleeping (evidently, as the ship ran into trouble). Three shooting her may have led to her being in the box.

The tears - while it may be from the time that Portia first modified/reprogrammed her (as she apparently did, per info of S2), the Portia/Two in this particular vision seemed more like Two and less like Portia. But since we don't know why Portia took interest in the Android, she may or may not have been different in her demeanor.

Ryo: I'm fearing a seer too, or at least using technology taken from them. We'll see. Whoever it is, it's bad news for the Raza.

Lemke is a good actor, and probably deservedly now the de-facto male lead. Though the main characters are now mostly female, between Two, Five and Android.

I don't think Mallozzi is that confident about getting another two seasons (hoping for the best...), but his general outline for the series has always envisioned Five seasons, with each season having a defined ending point. Which is actually a refreshing way to write (compared to the Lost/BSG method of introducing mysteries and hints without much intention to ever resolve much of that), not done since Babylon 5 AFAIK.

Renewal remains a question of viewing figures, though.

Edited by Wouter
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

I do like the feel of this show. It took a while, but now it reminds me of Farscape but darker. Kryden/Crichton? 

Wow, my day has been made: A Farscape mention!  Thank you Ottis, you don't see too many mentions of my favorite series.

Also, thanks to:

On 6/24/2017 at 4:29 PM, Wouter said:

For the call back to Stargate's excellent Groundhog Day episode which had Jack and Teal'c stuck in the time loop. Whenever I think of juggling, that episode comes to mind. Three and Android's little French song along with accompanying Ukelele was similar.

I think most of the Syfy world is tired of the Groundhog Day trope.  This is the second one I had to sit through this season alone. (No thanks to "Good Witch" with their lame attempt)

Now, for this episode, I had no idea AL was fluent in French. When I heard him begin to speak it, I checked his IMDB page and saw that he went to French schools. I enjoyed this one, but I don't understand why Four has such a big bug up his ass. His insistence that the Blink Drive is his property is just plain BS. The crew of the Raza acquired it so it belongs to them. He stole it from the ship and they stole it back; end of story. I thought there was some redemption left in Four, but now I wish Two would just smoke his ass. Six needs to come back because I don't like a sulky Five.

And as always, props to Mallozzi and Mullie for entertaining us with another wonderful series. I think I'll buy their comic books.  Now, bring on "Killjoys". 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

Did anyone get a sense of the gender of the figure at the end? I was wondering, given all the medical hookup, if it could be One or else Five's sister and they will be used as a trap.

How would Four know Five's sister? Five didn't even remember she had a sister.  Could be One, or perhaps maybe Commander Truffault (although Torri Higginson is a bit taller and more broad shouldered). It almost has to be someone we know, because they really went out of the way to hide the face and torso.

1 hour ago, call me ishmael said:

Did anyone get a sense of the gender of the figure at the end? I was wondering, given all the medical hookup, if it could be One or else Five's sister and they will be used as a trap.

My first guess was that he had captured and enslaved a seer. But they were just normal people not like the precogs of Minority Report.

(edited)

Seers originated from people with high CPA due to a genetic mutation on Nyx's homeworld. They were capture by yet another evil corp and drugged to further enhance their abilities. Ryo's prisoner was hooked to something that looked like a drug dispensary that's why the Seer assumption makes sense. On the other hand Zairon has come up with some amazing tech on its own - so maybe Ryo bullied his scientists into developing his own Seer program ASAP. Speaking of Zairon tech I wonder if the Raza crew removes the piece of bulkhead with the hapless assassin - it's a bit creepy for wall-decoration.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Seers originated from people with high CPA due to a genetic mutation on Nyx's homeworld. They were capture by yet another evil corp and drugged to further enhance their abilities. Ryo's prisoner was hooked to something that looked like a drug dispensary that's why the Seer assumption makes sense. On the other hand Zairon has come up with some amazing tech on its own - so maybe Ryo bullied his scientists into developing hir own Seer program. Speaking of Zairon tech I wonder if the Raza crew removse the piece of bulkhead with the hapless assassin - it's a bit creepy for wall-decoration.

Did you get all of this from the show or the comics, because damn, you know your stuff? As for the Han Solo wall decoration: I say pull the wall and mail it to Four. He's seriously pissing me off.

• Love 3

I only know how to google 'Dark Matter wikia' ;) And sometimes I check transcripts for missing details (the genetic mutation is not mentioned in the wikia but I had some dim memories of Nyx talking talking about it).

• Love 1

A magician is never supposed to reveal the secrets of their tricks. :-)

As for the comics, I just downloaded the Kindle version of Volume 1. Yikes, the artwork is kind of strange and the characters are totally different. I've only read the first few pages so far and the differences are startling. Android is male and Five appears to be male also. It's hard to tell with the funky artwork.

• Love 1

That was an excellent episode, great mix of comedy, suspense, and actual plot movement. As others have said, I'm glad that they decided to skip the part where Three realizes that he's in a time loop, they just cut to him already a few cycles in, already rather irritated and trying to prove to everyone what's going on. Anthony Lemke was great, and Three was really the best person to have this happen to. His frustrated reactions were hilarious, especially when he started talking techno babble to The Android in French, and realized that he had finally memorized everything she said by accident. Also a great excuse for AL to speak French, which he is apparently fluent in. Can we get a few more scenes later on with Three randomly speaking French? For, you know. Science.

Also loved the part where Three was like "We met alternate reality versions of ourselves and I was possessed by an alien. This is NOT unbelievable in our lives" because its exactly what I was thinking when no one would believe what was going on with Three. Yeah its weird, but its not any weirder than anything else the gang gets up to. I'm not sure where they're going with Sarah, especially considering so much else is going on. Also, its made most complicated because Three isn't really Marcus anymore, at least he doesn't have his memories, so he technically doesn't even know her. Does she know what happened to him, and he doesn't have any memories of her?

So much foreshadowing! Shit sounds like its going down, and I am here for it! I assume the Fall of the House of Ishida will happen this season, and the others will lead into the next few seasons. I hope the Fall of Ishida happens because Ryo loses his memories again, and becomes Four again. What can I say, I just miss the guy. I also love how twice the new guy assumed that Five would be the resident liability, only to be immediately corrected by people who know her better, and we see that she eventually becomes the last crew member standing.

I like the newbies, but considering what happened to the last new crew members (plus even half the rest of the original crew) I'm not getting too attached.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/24/2017 at 4:22 AM, mjc570 said:

Just wanted to add: thanks, show for having Ash run around in his underwear.  I'm sorry that he was killed off so quickly, that would have been a nice recurring gift to viewers like me.   In a non-creepy way, of course.  

I'm hoping we continue to see the Han Solo/Ash door.

17 hours ago, Ottis said:

Android Liberation Front... ALF?!

Hah! That cannot be an accident, can it?

14 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I thought it was a woman, but that was probably due to the long hair. 

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm not sure where they're going with Sarah, especially considering so much else is going on.

I'm thinking she'll be downloaded into an Android body.

The scene where Three shot the Android seemed to me that rather than being in the future or past of the current timeline, it was in an alternate universe. The beard and reference to Star Trek's alternate universe seemed pretty strong.

I thought Lemke killed it, this episode. He hit all the notes, every scene. His delight that he'd actually helped 5 feel better was as sweet as his tentative desire when he and Sara started touching. 

I enjoyed the references, though I didn't catch all of them. 

I hated the Groundhog Day movie, but I've mostly enjoyed the theme in episodic tv. I guess I just get tired if it goes on too long.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
On 2017-6-24 at 5:23 PM, Wouter said:

I'm wondering how is he counting those. Does he mean that Five gave 8 little teasers? or is he counting what the Android saw on her own? Because that affects the way we read Five dialogue. Five mentions:

1. Dwarf Star's Conspiracy
  2. The Double Deception
  3. Kryden
  4. Carina
  5. The Accelerated
  6. The Fall of the House of Ishida
  7. The Meeting with the Android's Cretor
  8. The Black Ships

However, if the Android's interrogation counts as one of the teasers, then we must read Five's list as follows:

2. The Double Deception
  3. Kryden
  4. Carina The Accelerated
  5. The Fall of the House of Ishida
  6. The Meeting with the Android's Cretor
  7. The Black Ships

Because it's the only point were the punctuation allows for it.

As for which ones we're likely to see this season I think they will be (in no particular order):

• The Fall of the House of Ishida - This one is a given, considering Ryo is already acting as the show's quasi-Big Bad this season.
  • The Android's interrogation - They've already cast someone for that story-line (the Interrogator) so it's doubtful they'll leave it for next seasons, considering a scheduling issue could arise. 
  • Following from the above, the meeting with the Android's Creator.
  • The Dwarf Star Conspiracy considering that is word for word the title of episode 3.11
  • Love 2

This was such a fun episode...and then the absolute gut punch of the Android's future visions happened. It makes sense, since as someone said above this has always been a redemption storyline, but I guess I didn't want to think about it in terms of all of the crew except Five dying, and Five and the Android (who are the two who are biggest on the crew being a family) being left to themselves for so long afterwards. And OldFive's mention that the galaxy is "marginally better" as a result - well, again, not surprising exactly, the writers are staying very honest to the brutal universe they've set up here. Realistically, "marginally better" is about the best that can happen, but again, it's a bummer to think that that's the best when it costs the lives of all the crew but Five and the Android. I knew I was quite fond of the crew, but until I saw this I didn't realize just HOW fond of them all I am.

That said, I think OldFive was meddling when she spoke with the Android, that she does want to change things. She doesn't want to change the galaxy improving for the better (knowing Two, when the time came to make the decision, Two was very firm that this was worth giving their lives for), she'd certainly like to change the fates of the rest of her crew. Not meddling would have meant not giving the Android that long list of items that happens. Her manner of delivery seemed very calculated. And with time loops being a thing, and her having that device, I wonder if this is not the first time she's tried, either. In any case, dropping all those references is the beginning of a butterfly effect. And maybe what she set in motion will save one of the others. I don't see this series allowing them all to live happily ever after, but maybe one can have a better fate - and thus give Five and the Android a better fate as well. OldFive seemed so sad and the bridge seemed so lonely with just her and the Android.

Karmically, it makes sense that Five and the Android are the two (for now) to make it to the end, since they're the two who didn't really have anything they needed to atone for from their pasts before they came out of stasis. And Five is the one the crew's always been most protective of, so that would have given her a survival advantage. As this episode's bit with Two and Adrian demonstrated, the crew has come a long way from the days when Two always told Five to go hide, and now Five is allowed around the action while Adrian is in the position Five used to be in - but Five is still always going to be a bit more coddled/protected by Two, Three, Six and the Android than they would any of each other. If Two, Three and Six knew they were going on some suicide mission to help the galaxy that was absolutely, definitely going to result in their deaths, there's no way they would allow Five along on it. But Five always wanted a big family and I don't want to think of her living for so long with only one other.

The reference to the fall of the House of Ishida gave me a little hope that Ryo will be re-integrated into the crew at some point. I know, I know, but they have all been operating under some major misconceptions, and I don't want to lose the character/actor this early on in the series, with two seasons still to go.

This series is so well done in general, and an episode like this is a terrific example of what the show can do. Tons of comedy, but still intriguing, heartbreaking developments for the future. And in addition to Anthony Lemke's tour de force, I also have to give a hat tip to Melissa O'Neil for her looks when Two walked in on Three and the Android singing and decided to just back out. Heh.

• Love 7
On 2017-6-26 at 4:18 PM, AzureOwl said:

I'm wondering how is he counting those. Does he mean that Five gave 8 little teasers? or is he counting what the Android saw on her own? Because that affects the way we read Five dialogue. Five mentions:

2. The Double Deception
  3. Kryden
  4. Carina
  5. The Accelerated
  6. The Fall of the House of Ishida
  7. The Meeting with the Android's Cretor
  8. The Black Ships

However, if the Android's interrogation counts as one of the teasers, then we must read Five's list as follows:

2. The Double Deception
  3. Kryden
  4. Carina The Accelerated
  5. The Fall of the House of Ishida
  6. The Meeting with the Android's Cretor
  7. The Black Ships

Because it's the only point were the punctuation allows for it.

As for which ones we're likely to see this season I think they will be (in no particular order):

• The Fall of the House of Ishida - This one is a given, considering Ryo is already acting as the show's quasi-Big Bad this season.
  • The Android's interrogation - They've already cast someone for that story-line (the Interrogator) so it's doubtful they'll leave it for next seasons, considering a scheduling issue could arise. 
  • Following from the above, the meeting with the Android's Creator.
  • The Dwarf Star Conspiracy considering that is word for word the title of episode 3.11

I think that "the accelerated" was a separate mention. It's open to interpretation, but the Android had 4 timejumps so it would be weird if 7 items came from Five's spoken list and only one from the visions.

As an aside, it turns out that the guy interrogating Android in that particular vision was working for the same company that originally created (and then lost) the seers. We see this kind of connections more often in Dark Matter; I like the consistency.

On 2017-6-26 at 6:51 PM, Black Knight said:

This was such a fun episode...and then the absolute gut punch of the Android's future visions happened. It makes sense, since as someone said above this has always been a redemption storyline, but I guess I didn't want to think about it in terms of all of the crew except Five dying, and Five and the Android (who are the two who are biggest on the crew being a family) being left to themselves for so long afterwards. And OldFive's mention that the galaxy is "marginally better" as a result - well, again, not surprising exactly, the writers are staying very honest to the brutal universe they've set up here. Realistically, "marginally better" is about the best that can happen, but again, it's a bummer to think that that's the best when it costs the lives of all the crew but Five and the Android. I knew I was quite fond of the crew, but until I saw this I didn't realize just HOW fond of them all I am.

That said, I think OldFive was meddling when she spoke with the Android, that she does want to change things. She doesn't want to change the galaxy improving for the better (knowing Two, when the time came to make the decision, Two was very firm that this was worth giving their lives for), she'd certainly like to change the fates of the rest of her crew. Not meddling would have meant not giving the Android that long list of items that happens. Her manner of delivery seemed very calculated. And with time loops being a thing, and her having that device, I wonder if this is not the first time she's tried, either. In any case, dropping all those references is the beginning of a butterfly effect. And maybe what she set in motion will save one of the others. I don't see this series allowing them all to live happily ever after, but maybe one can have a better fate - and thus give Five and the Android a better fate as well. OldFive seemed so sad and the bridge seemed so lonely with just her and the Android.

Karmically, it makes sense that Five and the Android are the two (for now) to make it to the end, since they're the two who didn't really have anything they needed to atone for from their pasts before they came out of stasis. And Five is the one the crew's always been most protective of, so that would have given her a survival advantage. As this episode's bit with Two and Adrian demonstrated, the crew has come a long way from the days when Two always told Five to go hide, and now Five is allowed around the action while Adrian is in the position Five used to be in - but Five is still always going to be a bit more coddled/protected by Two, Three, Six and the Android than they would any of each other. If Two, Three and Six knew they were going on some suicide mission to help the galaxy that was absolutely, definitely going to result in their deaths, there's no way they would allow Five along on it. But Five always wanted a big family and I don't want to think of her living for so long with only one other.

The reference to the fall of the House of Ishida gave me a little hope that Ryo will be re-integrated into the crew at some point. I know, I know, but they have all been operating under some major misconceptions, and I don't want to lose the character/actor this early on in the series, with two seasons still to go.

While this interpretation makes sense, I'm not sure if the final vision was meant to imply that all the others died for their redemption. For all we know, some of them died of old age (before Five) or for some reason Five took off with the  Raza on her own. It does seem to indicate that the Raza will not be destroyed by whatever happens at the end.

Some of the endings (for the main characters) are apparently supposed to be happy, old-Five implied as much. While even a happy ending could still include "finding redemption in a heroic death", from a certain POV, I hope there'd be survivors beyond five.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, mjc570 said:

A most enjoyable episode, with just he right amount of humor.  It was pretty easy to follow, although I didn't quite get some of the references in the Android scenes, and I don't get the point of the Sarah stuff at all.  Three is already humanized, as far as I'm concerned. 

This episode felt like it was a bit all over the place. Three with all the groundhog day stuff/Three with all the Sarah stuff/Trying to stop the assassin/Android pulling a Picard and doing the time jumps at the end. When it started with the Groundhog day stuff I was kind of disappointed, since I knew the bulk of the episode would be dealing with that, aside from the tired trope, it meant a filler episode at only  episode three into the season and I knew the main arc wouldn't be moved along too far. Three trying to cope with Sarah needed to be in a different episode I think, but I see how with the groundhog day effect it moved his acceptance of what happened to her along quicker. There were a lot of funny scenes so I will give them that. The new girl fighting the assassin was pointless, only to show, hey look, the new char is a badass, look at her meager fighting skills. Android doing the time jumping also seemed like it belonged in different episode, especially since it went on so long. I did like the black hair red eyed look though.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This episode felt like it was a bit all over the place. Three with all the groundhog day stuff/Three with all the Sarah stuff/Trying to stop the assassin/Android pulling a Picard and doing the time jumps at the end. When it started with the Groundhog day stuff I was kind of disappointed, since I knew the bulk of the episode would be dealing with that, aside from the tired trope, it meant a filler episode at only  episode three into the season and I knew the main arc wouldn't be moved along too far. Three trying to cope with Sarah needed to be in a different episode I think, but I see how with the groundhog day effect it moved his acceptance of what happened to her along quicker. There were a lot of funny scenes so I will give them that. The new girl fighting the assassin was pointless, only to show, hey look, the new char is a badass, look at her meager fighting skills. Android doing the time jumping also seemed like it belonged in different episode, especially since it went on so long. I did like the black hair red eyed look though.

Except for Two and Nyx's combat skills being off the charts the rest of the big bad Raza crew never came off as more tactical then the corporate guard or GA police. And now it looks like they cut back on the fight choreography.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Except for Two and Nyx's combat skills being off the charts the rest of the big bad Raza crew never came off as more tactical then the corporate guard or GA police. And now it looks like they cut back on the fight choreography.

Ryo and the Android are skilled fighters as well. On a related note, I wonder when someone is going to start training Five. Like Three and Six, she can shoot, but unlike them, she doesn't have brute strength to fall back on when unarmed. She needs to learn some skills for the times she doesn't have a gun.

And speaking of training Five, I also wonder when they're going to think about teaching her how to pilot ships as well. With Six's (temporary, I believe) departure, Two and the Android are currently the only pilots. Since the Android interfaces directly with all the Raza's systems, she doesn't leave the ship when it's in flight except in extreme situations. And since Two is the leader, sometimes she needs to stay aboard the Raza. As such, they really need one more pilot, for flexibility on those missions which require them using the shuttle. That was Six's greatest usefulness, actually, the fact that he was just a crewsman who had pilot skills. He had no larger role and so could always be used to pilot a shuttle mission if Two needed to stay on the Raza.

• Love 4

Wasn't somebody training Five in self-defense, if nothing else? It's a vague memory, but I thought so. Maybe it was Six?

I agree, Five should definitely be crossed trained as a pilot. She's already half way there with her tech skills.

44 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Wasn't somebody training Five in self-defense, if nothing else? It's a vague memory, but I thought so. Maybe it was Six?

It was Four, if memory serves.

• Love 3

Personally, I think that most of this episode was misdirection and that the whole point was the conversation between Five and the Android.  Now we have a series of cryptic hints, apparent destiny, and the problem of whether or not Android tries to change things because of these hints and visions.  If they follow through it changes the narrative stream considerably.

• Love 2

Well it's time for the obligatory groundhog's day episode that every sci-fi show does sooner or later. I'm glad they decided to do this one with Three. Somehow after two seasons and some change I've developed quite the crush on him. It just kind of snuck up on me. Really intriguing stuff with the android but I know I'm not going to remember all the things Five said. 

On 6/24/2017 at 6:22 PM, MissLucas said:

I sure do hope so. This little show has become one of my favorites. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Well it's time for the obligatory groundhog's day episode that every sci-fi show does sooner or later. I'm glad they decided to do this one with Three. Somehow after two seasons and some change I've developed quite the crush on him. It just kind of snuck up on me.

I know, right? At first, he was the reason I might stop watching the show, and now....

• Love 5
21 hours ago, AzureOwl said:

It was Four, if memory serves.

Correct, which is why he tells his mercenaries not to underestimate her.

22 hours ago, Black Knight said:

And speaking of training Five, I also wonder when they're going to think about teaching her how to pilot ships as well. With Six's (temporary, I believe) departure, Two and the Android are currently the only pilots. Since the Android interfaces directly with all the Raza's systems, she doesn't leave the ship when it's in flight except in extreme situations. And since Two is the leader, sometimes she needs to stay aboard the Raza. As such, they really need one more pilot, for flexibility on those missions which require them using the shuttle. That was Six's greatest usefulness, actually, the fact that he was just a crewsman who had pilot skills. He had no larger role and so could always be used to pilot a shuttle mission if Two needed to stay on the Raza.

IIRC Six taught Three how to fly the Marauder (or at least was in the process of doing so) at some point, I think near the end of S1. There was some banter about three not crashing the marauder into the side of the Raza.

• Love 1

I love time loop episodes of sci-fi shows! This was a good one. Very fun, then turned all serious at the end. 

Three was kind of sexy speaking French. I wonder if it was hard for him to speak it badly at first, when he is obviously fluent. 

I enjoyed the sneak peek of Things To Come. Intriguing.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I enjoyed the sneak peek of Things To Come. Intriguing.

Especially the scene with 5 -- she mentions that they are in a place where the stars are few and far between, a long long way from home.  Outside the galaxy ??

(edited)

I rewatched today and may have liked it even more the second time. This is a bit of the scene with Three and Android singing Dominique in French while she plays the ukulele. It looked like they were having a blast, and Lemke is pretty good at spoons!

In the show, Two starts to enter the room, sees them, then walks away rolling her eyes.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 4