Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Mumbai Sky Tower

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Possibly not since they're angels and all, but that look DeBlanc gave while calling Fiore "my dear" on the bus to Hell last season was more convincing evidence of true love than anything else I've seen on the show. Including Jesse and Tulip (and yes, I realize Cooper and Negga are actually a couple).

Perhaps angelic love is "pure" love, devoid of sexual content, and the two of them shared such a love. As opposed to angelic/demonic forbidden relationships, which result in Genesis.

46 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Perhaps angelic love is "pure" love, devoid of sexual content, and the two of them shared such a love. As opposed to angelic/demonic forbidden relationships, which result in Genesis.

Yes, I was thinking something along those lines. I think it's pretty obvious that they were in love, but love doesn't necessarily mean that sex needs to be involved. Not that it should matter, but I just questioned it, because of Fiore's childlike qualities, and him asking what Cassidy meant about the sex being good.

(edited)
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

As I recall from last season, when the "Hell Bus" lady asked for occupations, Fiore was "Accountant" and DeBlanc was "Serial Killer."  Fiore seems awfully sweet/innocent to be from Hell and it's a little hard to envision a "Serial Killer" hailing from Heaven.  I admit that I'd like to see an accountant from Hell, especially The Accountant as played by William Fichtner in Drive Angry.

Edited by johntfs
55 minutes ago, johntfs said:

As I recall from last season, when the "Hell Bus" lady asked for occupations, Fiore was "Accountant" and DeBlanc was "Serial Killer."  Fiore seems awfully sweet/innocent to be from Hell and it's a little hard to envision a "Serial Killer" hailing from Heaven.  I admit that I'd like to see an accountant from Hell, especially The Accountant as played by William Fichtner in Drive Angry.

I don't see them as being Genesis' parents. I took them at their word that they were both angels.

3 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't see them as being Genesis' parents. I took them at their word that they were both angels.

While we might call them demons, fallen angels are still angels. 

• Love 2

I remember wondering if Fiore and DeBlanc were an angel and a demon/Fallen Angel, respectively, that had both been charged with watching Genesis. Both sides send a representative, because neither side wants Genesis out and about and casing trouble, but neither trusts the other side to take care of it on their own. However, Fiore and DeBlanc spent so much time together with Genesis, they stopped really caring as much about celestial matters, and just cared about each other. No idea if that really lines up, its just a theory that I got stuck in my head.

• Love 2

Not having read the comics, which meant I didn't realize that the focus on Annville lasted too long, I quite enjoyed the first season--although some of the town's odious citizens completely squicked me out. For the most part, though, the levity and creativity more than made up for my discomfort.

But I'm excited to see what the trio's road trip brings. Plus, I love the attention to detail: like the "Old Tyme Axel Grease" van, which cracked me up; I also enjoyed  Fiore's flashback, which was announced with "A Couple of Days Before" on the screen--as if a couple of days was enough time for him to experience all of his deaths/regeneration, the creation of Ganesh's show, as well as all the production of Ganesh swag and advertisements.

On Wednesday, July 05, 2017 at 1:43 AM, johntfs said:

Fiore seems awfully sweet/innocent to be from Hell and it's a little hard to envision a "Serial Killer" hailing from Heaven.

Heck, DeBlanc might have been the guy who killed all the first-born sons of Egypt, or 180k Assyrian soldiers.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/5/2017 at 4:43 AM, johntfs said:

That's an interesting point. I always saw Fiore as the more ruthless and dangerous one, so I figured he would have been the demon if they were the couple. There were definitely times when he seemed more . . . naive, I guess, than DeBlanc (the anxiety over calling up to heaven comes to mind), but Fiore was all about the brutal punishments when it came to getting Genesis back in that can. Fiore was firing up the chainsaw while DeBlanc was trying to sing Genesis out of Jesse.  Fiore was about to read Genesis the Riot Act, until DeBlanc shushed him with "We're not doing that." No wonder Genesis ran back to Preacher.

Oh dear, I think I talked myself 'round to making the case that Fiore *was* the angel, just for the vengeful, smiting version of God!

ETA:

Excellent point, @johntfs.  Let me amend my statement, then, to say that I saw Fiore as the one more likely to have been the fallen angel, rather than the angel from Heaven.  Hmmmm. . . now I'm wondering how much of the show will deal with that battle between Heaven and Hell.  I believe that Season 1 established that the fighting is still going on; Fiore and DeBlanc said that "neither side" knows about Genesis, IIRC.

Edited by netlyon2
44 minutes ago, netlyon2 said:

Oh dear, I think I talked myself 'round to making the case that Fiore *was* the angel, just for the vengeful, smiting version of God!

They're both angels, no matter where they're from.  A fallen angel is still an angel.  We've been conditioned by literature to think of fallen angels as having horns or scales or visible marks of evil, The idea is that evil is physically ugly, when in truth many of the most beautiful people have the darkest of hearts.

Given that the setting appears to be a crapsack world where everyone is corrupt, I wouldn't lean too heavily on an assumption that angels would be distinguishable from demons by kindness and gentility.