Type keyword(s) to search

Exercise: What's Your Workout?

• Start Topic

I've never tried a rowing machine, but for me, it's bike riding! I can do fairly heavy weights for squatting and I walk up and down some pretty steep hills 5-7 days a week, but I can barely make it around the block on a bike!

When it comes to riding a bike I'm not very fast, but I am good at climbing hills on a bike.

One thing you want to avoid is the assault bike, that thing is pure evil and no amount of bike riding experience helps.

Anybody lift heavy here? I <3 it sooo much.

I do Body Pump, which is lifting lighter weights over a longer period of time (a 5-6 minute song per muscle group).  Of course, you're supposed to push yourself a little and pick a weight that makes you work, that makes you really feel it.  So, kind of heavy lifting.....and yes, I do love it.  Well, except lunges  :) 

Oh merciful Zeus, okay so I have worked out consistently for twenty years and last November when we knew we would be relocating, I stopped doing HIIT because there is a higher risk of injury and since I would be solely in charge of taking care of the dogs until we could all be in the same state, avoiding a lower body injury of any kind was of paramount importance. I kept doing cardio at a challenging level on the elliptical for 25-45 minutes and did heavier weight training with weighted squats, lunges, etc. etc. point being? I didn't actually take any kind of break and worked out 5-6 days a week, with regular  weight increases. 

Today I was finally able to return to high impact interval training. Thinking I should ease into it I selected a 25 minute program one degree less than I was doing before and a full ten minutes shorter. 

Holy.Shit. I got through but I was a drippy mess afterwards, not to mention much huffing and puffing (and some incidental swearing). I shouldn't have had any opportunity to recondition even in the slightest and actually had increased weights pretty significantly. Not exactly a scientific study, but DAMN that was amazingly difficult. I am still a little shaky.

(edited)

It is, but it isn't actually that. I actually have increased in strength and have good cardio endurance. It's just you know how HIIT is alleged to be a completely different cardiovascular challenge? Apparently they aren't kidding about that. It wasn't at all like starting over, because 25 minutes of HIIT is about three times the length of time as people start out at, but holy crow!  I guess it really is vital to vary your workouts for optimum fitness. Yikes.  

Plus, oh my gawd, I looked a wreck afterward. ?

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

It took me so long to get rid of my landline and go to strictly cell. Now that I am gettin used to it I've discovered a most excellent app that comes with my Samsung. The S Health Coach. It is free and has a great selection of options. Record you daily intakes of food and water; take your heart beat, oxygen readings; track your walking, steps and workouts. Then there is the Baby Steps to 5K option which gets you ready to run a 5K in two months. That's the bomb one that I am doing now. Love how it talks to you... slow down, speed up, looking good, you are almost there, 0.5 miles to goal, you are done, etc. It also records your calories burned, elevations and just tons of things I never knew who to calculate. If you have it and don't use it please try it. I tried it with my Polar F7 and the calculations were so close it was a negligible difference.

On 17/05/2016 at 10:25 PM, emma675 said:

Isn't it crazy how hard it is to get into shape and how easy it is to fall out of it??

Tell me about it. I'm by no means in great shape, but I at least go to the gym a couple of times a week, and focus on pushing myself that bit further each time. I take three weeks off for a holiday and then for the agonising pain in my back from sitting on a plane for eight hours to go away, and suddenly I'm struggling to do half of what I was doing beforehand. At least when it comes to cardio. The resistance training doesn't have nearly as much of a dropoff.

I think my body is trying to tell me it really doesn't like running....

• Love 1

So, I've had to officially jump back on the total body makeover train. I thought after having baby number three just working out would get me back to pre baby weight. No such luck. Evidently I have to diet too! Today started the diet, 90% plant based is what I'm aiming for. 

Ive been doing fitness blender workouts since the little one was born and I was cleared for excercise (about two months now). I love how I can vary my routines so easily. I've got a bum leg that makes exercising a bit of a challenge but I've been able to hang so far (and pay the price later). I don't know what I've done to my leg but about a year ago it started aching really badly, I can barely get up and down on the floor so burpees are totally out. The pain comes and goes. I feel like I might have slipped a disc in my back or something when I was doing a lot of running last year. I also love my fit bit and aim for 12,000 steps a day-usually exceeding that, I try and get about 20 minutes of trampoline jumping in with the older two kids each day as well. My sweet tooth will likely be the death of me though!

Anyhow, I've got 20 pounds to go to get to pre baby #3 weight and 50 pounds to go to get to pre baby # 1 weight. Baby steps!

• Love 2

I've got a mini trampoline coming because I want to try rebounding to help my muscles and lymphatic system. I haven't jumped on a trampoline since I was kid and that was a very long time ago!

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, Singingflutist said:

Anybody lift heavy here? I <3 it sooo much.

I do as part of crossfit - its my favorite part.   My box also offers two Olympic weightlifting classes each week, so I usually sign up for one.  Those classes are always packed, but taking them has definitely helped with my Olympic lifts. 

My mom was here for a visit and since I only see her once or twice a year, I don't like to leave for too long.  So, my exercise routine consisted of walking the dogs.  I should have only missed 3 weight lifting classes and 2 zumba classes.  On her last day here, I got sick and am still miserable, so I've missed a 5th weightlifting class and a 3rd zumba.  How much is it going to suck when I start again?  :)

On 6/10/2016 at 0:07 PM, DkNNy79 said:

I do as part of crossfit - its my favorite part.   My box also offers two Olympic weightlifting classes each week, so I usually sign up for one.  Those classes are always packed, but taking them has definitely helped with my Olympic lifts. 

I don't do Olympic lifts as I have bad shoulders. I train like a powerlifter (but I don't compete) plus accessories 

Hello, fellow exercizers! I mainly do long brisk walks, hiking, low impact aerobics and some weights (not enough lately!!!) but decided to start riding my bike again as well, and.... "something" in my body has changed because what used to be a reasonably comfortable bike seat is now KILLING my tailbone and "sitz" bones. So frustrating because my heart/lungs and legs could do more miles but my butt bones are screaming and I have to cut the ride short. Ugh.

So for any of you who like to go on long bike rides, do you have a favorite bike seat or seat cover for cushioning you would recommend? My butt and I thank you.

• Love 1

I love your avatar picture, glowlights!  My husband mountain bikes and so I end up talking about various bike needs.  There are a couple of options.  You might like a wider seat, which will distribute your weight to a larger surface and relieve some pressure.  

Oh you might want to try something like this one.  These are not going to be good trail seats, by the way, but it doesn't sound like you're doing any mountain biking.   Try not to pay any attention to the obnoxious name on this, it's not about the girth of the rider, it's distributing your weight over a larger area that should help with the pressure. So there's this one too and it's that kind of idea that you probably want to look at.  Something that gives your backside more of a "seat" .   That's usually what causes the problem.  So here's another in that same vein.

You can also look at split seats that won't put any pressure on the internal workings in that area.  Nicest way I could think to put that :-) 

• Love 3

THANK YOU, stillshimpy! You're right, I'm riding paved or groomed trails with some inclines, but definitely no mountain biking or rougher trails. The WOWOWO looks like it has a little drop off where my tailbone could get a break, and the big cushy sides look like they'll support my sitz bones. I'll order it and let you know how it works.

I expected to be saddle sore when starting out after a long hiatus, but never thought my actual bones would grind. :(

• Love 1

So I did Crunch for a couple of months and it was working out fairly well for me until my trainer left. I like my new trainer but it's not the same. She's not as good at correcting my form and I don't find her as much of a motivation. I'm going to spend the summer taking some pure barre classes but I do want to find a regular gym. I'm not big on classes. I just want the equipment, elliptical, treadmill, weights, maybe some TRX straps clipped to the wall. Just the basics. Any recommendations for a gym with the lowest subscription policy?

Crunch is $100 a month for one location and I think $109 a month for all locations

NYSC is $40 a month for one location and $65 a month for all locations (but with July and August free)

Planet Fitness seems to be $10 a month for one location and $20 a month for all locations

I'm not sure if this is where you are, but I go to LA Fitness and it's fairly reasonable - my membership is $30 for all locations.  There's a different membership where you get free towels, but I bring my own, so that's never been a bother for me.  I'm pretty sure Planet Fitness is the cheapest gym membership around, but there's never been one close enough to me to check out.  

(edited)

I pay $28.99 a month for 24 Hour Fitness, but I joined 3 years ago, so I don't know if their rates have gone up.

I've just started a Bokwa class and I love it.  It's an aerobic workout with dancing, but different than Zumba.  I work out harder than I do at Zumba fitness, but I feel more comfortable with the Bokwa moves because I'm not a great dancer and sometimes I can feel a bit silly at Zumba.

Edited by Shannon L.

I just started the workout yesterday. I did the fitness test and while I made it all the way through, I didn’t think I was terribly out of shape as I am pretty active yoga, running, swimming, etc, but I am feeling the pain. Today I’m looking forward to my first workout this evening and looking forward to the program

• Love 1

I'm trying out a new yoga class tonight.  Truth be told, I like how yoga makes me feel but not enough to do it on a regular basis.  I subscribe to "better to do a little yoga a lot than a lot of yoga a little."

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope it helps you, glowlights, there are a couple of different kinds of seat in that same vein, if you look around on Amazon. In WOWOWO doesn't fit the bill, just run a search on there and read the reviews, a lot of times people will state why they got something.  What you're experiencing isn't actually that unusual and should get better with time.  The other thing that might help are squats to help build ye olde booty and that can also help.  

I'm one month into my back-to-HIIT training and it's going really well, even if I am simply a mist of perspiration mixed with red-faced determination at the end of the average workout, it actually only took about two weeks to stop feeling like I needed to get my affairs in order after a workout.   You know, a lot of people forget this is an option aradia, but the YMCA often is a nice inexpensive way to get access to all the gym equipment you'd need.  It can depend on the area you live in, but they often have all the same equipment as a gym and cost a lot less.  It's worth checking out the one nearest you to see if it's a nice facility.  

Have fun, Qoass, I only do yoga once a week because I do several different kinds of training, so I'm with you.  Some beats none :-) 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2
(edited)

Okay, so almost right after I wrote the post above about Yoga once a week, I changed my routine slightly and instead of doing Yoga one day a week and taking a rest day, I changed my rest day to Yin yoga combined with dynamic stretching.  Reason being that I've been doing a metric fuckton (a serious unit of misery measurement when it comes to exercise) of leg work combined with lifting.  No particular reason other than I felt like it.  However, it was leaving me routinely pretty stiff and sore.  So on my rest day a couple of weeks ago I did the Yin yoga (where you hold stretching poses for about five minutes apiece) concentrating on hamstring, hip and lower back release, preceded by a half an hour of dynamic stretching and a stretching yoga program that has more traditional poses, but emphasizes stretching.  So the Yin program comes last, in case I'm being wildly unclear. 

Two things:  Every time I do this I then sleep like a dead person that night, so ....yay!  But something sort of funky happened that made it worth sharing: I've been able to do almost effortless weight increases on deadlifts and squats since then, so something about increasing flexibility improved strength training.  

Just mentioning for anyone who is stuck on a strength plateau.  Although I do admit it feels really strange after you're done with all that stretching focused yoga.  I'm pretty sure I walk like the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz for a while afterward.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3
On 7/10/2016 at 7:45 PM, stillshimpy said:

Okay, so almost right after I wrote the post above about Yoga once a week, I changed my routine slightly and instead of doing Yoga one day a week and taking a rest day, I changed my rest day to Yin yoga combined with dynamic stretching.  Reason being that I've been doing a metric fuckton (a serious unit of misery measurement when it comes to exercise) of leg work combined with lifting.  No particular reason other than I felt like it.  However, it was leaving me routinely pretty stiff and sore.  So on my rest day a couple of weeks ago I did the Yin yoga (where you hold stretching poses for about five minutes apiece) concentrating on hamstring, hip and lower back release, preceded by a half an hour of dynamic stretching and a stretching yoga program that has more traditional poses, but emphasizes stretching.  So the Yin program comes last, in case I'm being wildly unclear. 

Two things:  Every time I do this I then sleep like a dead person that night, so ....yay!  But something sort of funky happened that made it worth sharing: I've been able to do almost effortless weight increases on deadlifts and squats since then, so something about increasing flexibility improved strength training.  

Just mentioning for anyone who is stuck on a strength plateau.  Although I do admit it feels really strange after you're done with all that stretching focused yoga.  I'm pretty sure I walk like the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz for a while afterward.  

I love your quote about "increasing flexibility improved strength training." I've also found that to be true. 

But Yin yoga sounds a little boring. What do you think about when you're holding the same position for that long? Do you ever glance at the clock?

I'm thinking of getting an elliptical machine for my living room. I enjoy the elliptical and I despise going to the gym (fans blowing on me, people on the phone, people chattering, etc...).

I've been reading reviews and there's no way I can afford a professional one. I'm looking at ones that around $500 or so. I've heard a lot of good things about Schwinn and am looking at this one.

I also really like the design of this one and feel like there is less areas for my cats to try and save me from.

I'm 5ft 7 with average leg / torso proportions and about 180lbs. Any suggestions?

You might try a used exercise equipment place like Play It Again Sports.

They often had high end stuff in almost new condition because someone bought, rarely or never used it, eventually turned it over to get it out of their house. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

You might try a used exercise equipment place like Play It Again Sports.

They often had high end stuff in almost new condition because someone bought, rarely or never used it, eventually turned it over to get it out of their house. 

I don't have any way of transporting a used one or I'd be all over that. 

• Love 1

Congratulations @Rose D. William!  Stopping smoking is a great decision...keep moving whether it is running, walking, stretching...looking forward to hearing your progress. 

I'm always shocked at how much cigarettes cost, so keep a tally of how much you haven't spent and use it to reward yourself at different milestones.

I tried running. Besides making my legs hurt, which eventually stopped happening, I didn't like being alone with my thoughts for so long. I have an exercise bike and use it daily. The thing about the bike is that I can play games on my phone or tablet. While I'm matching up blue and yellow squares, slaying dragons, answering trivia questions, I barely notice that I'm exercising for 30 minutes.  

I also tried running but my knees laughed at me. I now swim and have a small exercise bike, which is nice to have in front of the tv.

On the downside, my new job is a much longer commute than my old one and I'm not swimming as much as I used to. Hence, my pants have gotten tight again. I have to get myself back in gear.

I used to love to run on the treadmill while listening to my favorite music.  OMG, it was great. I really felt like I was in the zone.   Sadly, I suffered some injuries and can't do it anymore.  I have to develop new routine, new type of workout, that accommodates my foot and back issues.  lol  OMG, I sound old, but, not really.  I just have to get back into something.  I'm eating right and working my body is the next thing on my list.   Swimming and biking sound like some good options. 

On 5/30/2016 at 11:12 AM, ethalfrida said:

It took me so long to get rid of my landline and go to strictly cell. Now that I am gettin used to it I've discovered a most excellent app that comes with my Samsung. The S Health Coach. It is free and has a great selection of options. Record you daily intakes of food and water; take your heart beat, oxygen readings; track your walking, steps and workouts. Then there is the Baby Steps to 5K option which gets you ready to run a 5K in two months. That's the bomb one that I am doing now. Love how it talks to you... slow down, speed up, looking good, you are almost there, 0.5 miles to goal, you are done, etc. It also records your calories burned, elevations and just tons of things I never knew who to calculate. If you have it and don't use it please try it. I tried it with my Polar F7 and the calculations were so close it was a negligible difference.

So I know it's been a while since I posted this but the update is I did really well in the 5K. It was a pleasure to be among over 5000 people on Thanksgiving morning downtown Los Angeles. And it was great to see so many people my age in it. 14 of them finished ahead of me and I was immediately wanting to connect to talk, to find out how they trained. 

• Love 5

When I joined a gym last year I discovered that walking and hiking and biking during the warm months was not keeping me in shape as much as I thought it was:  I got on a treadmill and thought I was going to die.  That said, now that it's warming up again, I'm skipping the gym in favor of outdoor activities.  They may not be as beneficial physically but they are crucial to my mental health.

• Love 4
On 3/19/2017 at 1:27 PM, ethalfrida said:

So I know it's been a while since I posted this but the update is I did really well in the 5K. It was a pleasure to be among over 5000 people on Thanksgiving morning downtown Los Angeles. And it was great to see so many people my age in it. 14 of them finished ahead of me and I was immediately wanting to connect to talk, to find out how they trained. 

Congratulations on your finish!  

It sounds like an awesome experience.  I've always wanted to visit LA.  I've been to San Deigo, but, that's the only place I've visited in CA.  I really love that state.  It holds a lot of intrigue from me.

I'm not sure what age group you're in, but, I have a good friend who still runs in marathons and she's 50.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Thank you SunnyBeBe. It is an awesome experience.

San Diego is not that far from Los Angeles so the next time you visit come on up here. The city offers so much in a such a diverse way. It's about the many, many ideas and concepts of living, shopping, eating, roaming around. I still like to just wander around and poke my nose into venues.

My category was Senior. I am older than your friend. My time was 46 minutes which is better than I had done in practice.

That time sounds pretty good to me.  I'd be happy to finish, even......lol.

I actually have some family members in CA.  I've been talking about going out to visit them for years, but, something just keeps getting in the way.  

I fell in love with CA when I was a child watching tv shows that were filmed there, like American Bandstand, The Brady Bunch, The Monkees, etc.  I never forgot it and I still would like to go visit and this time see the sites I want like the original Disney Land.  Burbank Studios, Rodeo Drive,  Hollywood Hills, etc.   Maybe, one day. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
(edited)

Currently i am getting ready to start a cardio-core based workout. i like to run and i am aiming to run at least 10k per week to start with. i also need to change my diet and get more motivated. as a result, i just bought some new comfortable shoes by Asics to start my new adventure. and to improve my core strength.

Edited by franco
punctuation errors
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2017 at 6:38 AM, franco said:

Currently i am getting ready to start a cardio-core based workout. i like to run and i am aiming to run at least 10k per week to start with. i also need to change my diet and get more motivated. as a result, i just bought some new comfortable shoes by Asics to start my new adventure. and to improve my core strength.

Are you going to work out in a gym or home? Are you going to run on a treadmill, track or streets?  When I was in the zone, I ran 3 miles per day, 5-6 days per week.  I'll never get there again, but, even half that would be an improvement. 

Treadmill, rowing, exercise bike, swimming and street running primarily. 

I love running, and my usual early morning routine is running through the neighbourhood (or along the nearby country lanes) for about an hour so, usually clocking up about 10 miles. 

During the darker, colder winter months I usually opt for similar distances running on the exercise bike and/or treadmill. But I do find it more difficult to stay focused compared to the open road.

I don't need to diet but I do watch what I eat for all that. But I do worry that as I get older I will eventually succumb to injury and won't be able to run quite so far/regularly.  Would I then put on lots of weight through in action?

But for the moment I will focus in the here and now

That sounds pretty impressive Only Zola. Do you run the 10 miles most days?  I have a friend who does something similar.  I would think that she could eat most of what she wants, but, most of the time when we dine, I notice that she gets a garden salad with fruit or grilled fish.  

My friend is a little over 50 and she has encountered a few injuries, but, she keeps going. A recent ankle injury did put her out for about 2 months. I don't think she gained an ounce though.  She's very thin.  

Do you wear a fitbit watch?  Would you recommend one?

4 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Treadmill, rowing, exercise bike, swimming and street running primarily.

I've heard a lot of good things about rowing. I may have to give this a try at some point.