Type keyword(s) to search

Exercise: What's Your Workout?

• Start Topic

I was surprised by that too.  Of course, it took quite a bit of time before what I did could be consider "gliding".  I used to enjoy it in cooler weather since it got my blood pumping.  Maybe doing an outing on the weekends would work out if your schedule is not already too hectic.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 11:41 AM, emma675 said:

I can't do squats to save my life. I have fairly strong legs, but something about the position and the movement makes my strong legs weak. Maybe it's something to do with my terrible sense of balance. 

Neither can I although I push further when the workout calls for it. I see others go so far down they are almost sitting on the floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve squatting lower?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve squatting lower?

Sometimes it is mental. You don't trust that your body will be able to go down as far as it can. So it can help to practice with a box (like a solid box not like a cardboard box) or sofa, etc. behind you so you can trust that if you do lose your balance you won't fall and hurt yourself. It can also help to widen your stance (but not too much) and point your feet out (but not too much). My old trainer would tell me to think about breaking/pulling the floor apart with my feet. 

• Love 1

I have added a move to my quickie morning yoga practice. After I do my last Pigeon, I then get up from the floor without using my hands. Some days it's harder than one would think.

2 hours ago, Qoass said:

I have added a move to my quickie morning yoga practice. After I do my last Pigeon, I then get up from the floor without using my hands. Some days it's harder than one would think.

Thanks for the idea! It may take me several attempts, but I will try this tomorrow!

After owning a jump rope for several years, I finally got the nerve and opened the package this morning.  I went into my garage, set my cell phone timer for 5 minutes and gave it a try.  Seeing as I have some severe balance issues, I had my son come out and watch his Mom in all her indignity.  He had that same expression Boo Boo has when he says "I don't think the Rangers going to like this Yogi".

Skipping rope is much harder than the last time I tried it - probably 40+ years ago!

Despite my right leg being worse than my left, the right leg insisted on going first (as I was stepping, not jumping both feet at once  - got to save something for the new year!), I did manage to do it after several false starts.  Mostly just 1 - 3x in a row, but I did make it to 10 3x.  I also managed to elevate my heart rate (part out of fear, part out of exertion).   I clearly need to get a softer concrete poured in the garage because my right ankle was feeling all my weight when I landed on it.

I've decided to go get a hula hoop today and give that a try - possibly tomorrow, possibly a few years from now.  Since I can safely do that in the privacy of my garage and I won't need to have one of my poor children supervise.  I have a feeling this is one of the things that your childhood muscle memory won't remember which is entirely too bad since I was pretty dang good at this when I was a kid.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, auntlada said:

Does anybody use a foam roller? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good one? I would probably use it primarily for my back and legs.

Yes I have one. I use the Grid as recommended by a running friend. It won't lose its shape like cheap ones and it's hollow and strong. It does take some getting use to because it really does target some points.

I also have the Tiger stick. I bought it thinking it would be good for travel and target my calf areas. I don't use it as much though it can be good for certain hard to reach places. The stick is also good if you have a friend or partner to help.

Early morning my Dog wakes me up and we have morning walk for an half hour; Then for half an hour I enjoy the Yoga with some of my friends. In my opinion everyone should go with exercise daily at-least half an hour.

• Love 3

I've been reading about HIIT and how it might be better for fat-burning. I had to look it up to find out exactly what it stands for -- high-intensity interval training (I think) -- and then had to look up how to do it on your own (because I hate classes for a variety of reasons). So read about doing HIIT on a treadmill and then said to myself, "Oh! It's just running sprints or telephone poles." I thought it was something super-fancy and new, and it turns out it's what we used to do at least once a week during cross-country and track practice in college. (Telephone poles are where you sprint from one telephone pole to the next and then jog to the next one, then sprint, then jog, etc. It's an easy way to do sprint training on country roads.)

So I did it yesterday, and now I hurt a lot.

• Love 2

My foot is feeling pretty good today, so, I'm putting on my running shoes, perhaps I should call them walking these days, and going to the Y outdoor track for a brisk walk.  We are having a heat wave at 47 degrees, so, I better take advantage of it.  You gotta start somewhere, right?

• Love 1

My girlfriend expressed a desire to join me for a run this morning. Given that the only time she runs is catching busses or trains, I just didn't think it would be a good idea to take her for even a moderate jog of more than a couple of miles. In fact I just insisted we go for a brisk walk round the block a couple of times - which was just as well because she was cream-crackered after about half mile and just wanted to sit down at every opportunity. 

To be honest she has no need to lose weight because she's skinny like me. But she said she wanted to give running a go in order to stay fit. But judging by this morning's performance of a brisk walk. she needs to start very very slowly otherwise she'll just quit by the end of the week/month.

So I've let use my treadmill at slow walking pace, and see how she gets on with that. I then went out for a fast 8 mile run given that I was running a bit late anyway.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Zola said:

My girlfriend expressed a desire to join me for a run this morning. Given that the only time she runs is catching busses or trains, I just didn't think it would be a good idea to take her for even a moderate jog of more than a couple of miles. In fact I just insisted we go for a brisk walk round the block a couple of times - which was just as well because she was cream-crackered after about half mile and just wanted to sit down at every opportunity. 

To be honest she has no need to lose weight because she's skinny like me. But she said she wanted to give running a go in order to stay fit. But judging by this morning's performance of a brisk walk. she needs to start very very slowly otherwise she'll just quit by the end of the week/month.

So I've let use my treadmill at slow walking pace, and see how she gets on with that. I then went out for a fast 8 mile run given that I was running a bit late anyway.

Skinny doesn't necessarily mean fit.  Is she muscular?  I don't need to lose weight either, but I want to build up muscle, so I'm doing weight training with a personal trainer.  I don't want to be one of those skinny-but-flabby people when I'm older!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Skinny doesn't necessarily mean fit.  Is she muscular?  I don't need to lose weight either, but I want to build up muscle, so I'm doing weight training with a personal trainer.  I don't want to be one of those skinny-but-flabby people when I'm older!

Well i think she wants to keep fit in order to give her heart a good workout, even though she eats wisely and doesn't indulge with junk food that much. I am skinny too, and have been since I was a kid. But I've been running for a good 10 years, primarily to race in amateur and semi-pro women's marathons. So that's my incentive. i don't know if my partner is considering taking up marathon running, but it will take her a good year or so to get up to a decent standard.

But I did tell her a brisk walk, or leaving the car behind and walking to the shops is just as good as running in some respects. But we shall see how she gets on over the next few days of slow walking on the treadmill.

@Zola, your girlfriend may eventually have good luck with a Couch To 5K app.  It starts you out very slowly - something like jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat - and it's encouraging to see your progress every week.  I'd recommend it, even though the program helped me realize that I effing hate running.  :)  For me, dance, sports, and biking are better cardio options that I know I'll stick with because I find them fun.    Good luck to her on this journey!  You sound like a very supportive partner.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

@Zola, your girlfriend may eventually have good luck with a Couch To 5K app.  It starts you out very slowly - something like jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat - and it's encouraging to see your progress every week.  I'd recommend it, even though the program helped me realize that I effing hate running.  :)  For me, dance, sports, and biking are better cardio options that I know I'll stick with because I find them fun.    Good luck to her on this journey!  You sound like a very supportive partner.

Brilliant idea!!

I forgot all about that one, although I've never really needed it to be honest. However, it might just do the trick for my partner: all nice and easy, no nasty surprises at all. And all done at your own pace.

I will tell her!

Thank you.

Edited by Zola

You might make her a list of songs that have a tempo that will help her keep the pace for a brisk walk, and then quicker ones to accelerate the pace.

The new school version of making her a "mixed tape"*.  Then find a route that lets you do a decent brisk walk together and then allows you to continue with a real jog while she reverses a goes home.

*might also double as a Valentine!

• Love 1

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to build your abdominal muscles without getting a hernia?  My younger brother, who is quite fit, does Spartan competition, works out daily, just got diagnosed with a double hernia.  Has to have surgery.  My mom has had several too.  Now, I'm scared that I could be predisposed to them.  So, I want to build my muscles to help prevent it.  Plus, I've just started to build up my cardio. 

51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to build your abdominal muscles without getting a hernia? 

I would think the first step would be doing any exercise that builds your core strength.  My family has no upper body strength, but our abs are powerhouses.  When I used to go to the gym all the time (a zillion years ago), I would be on the thingie to do situps and could easily knock out 400 while carrying on a conversation in a normal tone of voice.  I did not realize that would be impressive to others because everyone in my family could do stupid amounts of sit ups.

After I had a baby (via c-section) my poochey tummy made me insane.  I found rollerblading took care of that very quickly (after a proper healing period) and without focusing on the muscles being engaged as I was focused on keeping my balance.

• Love 1

Okay.  So, would crunches be okay?  I used to do a crazy amount of crunches when I was thin and in shape. Yes, I could do 400.  But, now....well, I have a belly now, which is much smaller with my weight loss.  I suppose I could just start on the crunches by doing a few at at time per day.  And not strain too much.  

Is there another way to build core strength? 

9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Take a look at these from the Mayo Clinic.  I would think any combination of these would be a good starting point.  I like that the guy pictured is not a zero body fat fitness model and everything can be done with regular stuff you have around the house.

You can also replace a desk chair with a big exercise ball.  In order to keep your balance, you need to engage your core muscles.  As an added benefit, it improves your posture.  You can also use the balance ball in various core exercises - doing sit ups on it, modified planks, etc...

• Love 1
On 01/02/2018 at 2:15 PM, DeLurker said:

You might make her a list of songs that have a tempo that will help her keep the pace for a brisk walk, and then quicker ones to accelerate the pace.

The new school version of making her a "mixed tape"*.  Then find a route that lets you do a decent brisk walk together and then allows you to continue with a real jog while she reverses a goes home.

*might also double as a Valentine!

I followed your suggestion by creating a playlist of some quick-beat rock tracks that i have used in the past, and transferred the file to her phone. i then took her out for a brisk 4 mile walk, which she really enjoyed - the music tempo probably helped, and she was also singing away in-between sharp intakes of breath.

Will do something similar in a couple of days - don't want to push her too hard too fast. Hopefully in the next month she'll be jogging rather than walking. :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zola said:

i then took her out for a brisk 4 mile walk, which she really enjoyed

That sounds like a good step up from your other outing you posted about!  I'm a hopeless meanderer so without some external pace keeper, I'd slow my walk to a crawl to a dawdle until I was standing perfectly still.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

That sounds like a good step up from your other outing you posted about!  I'm a hopeless meanderer so without some external pace keeper, I'd slow my walk to a crawl to a dawdle until I was standing perfectly still.

I know what you mean in terms of letting one's mind wander during a good walk or long run on one's own. Listening to music and/or podcasts helps of course, but my mind still drifts when I start thinking about how many miles I still have to do etc. And then I get a little negative and want to give up and walk back home (this sometimes happens in the darkness and coldness of winter - so its hardly surprising. But quite the reverse in spring/summer)

But having my partner (and previous girlfriends) accompany me certainly helps me (and them I would hope). The key is being able to keep one's breathing in check between a good pace and being able to talk from time to time.

But we're getting there....

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

@auntlada, if you're looking for running gear with support, I strongly suggest looking into compression pants, they may be slightly pricier but they are worth it. Whatever you do, wear what is comfortable to you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. 

Bringing this over from Pet Peeves because my question isn't really a peeve, but it is exercise-related.

@GoodieGirl recommended compression pants. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands or styles within brands?

My friend used to wear compression shorts or pants but underneath other gym or workout type shorts as they seemed to require a perfect form or delusional levels of self confidence to wear.  I don't remember the brand, but they were pretty modestly priced ones that you could find at any sporting goods store.  They seemed to have a lot of them marked down as style turnover seemed pretty high. 

On 1.2.2018 at 4:22 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Is there a Pilates studio near you? Not a gym with Pilates classes, but a real Pilates studio. I'm stressing the difference because due to the nature of gyms, it must be possible to jump in at any time while in a dedicated studio, you learn from scratch and build up from there. Even if you're only doing a few hours as a beginner, you learn how to do core exercises correctly so you don't hurt yourself when you continue on your own.

As for the ab thingy: I would stay away from things like these. Working properly with your own body weight and body axis is way more effective than those gadgets and less dangerous if done correctly.

• Love 1

I appreciate the tips.  Right now, there are all kinds of options near my work, but, where I'm living temporarily, there aren't many options.  Just a Y really.  But, I intend to move into my house that needs renovations before too long and will have greater access to studios and trainers.  I know that can be expensive though.  Still, I will put it as a priority. 

21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I appreciate the tips.  Right now, there are all kinds of options near my work, but, where I'm living temporarily, there aren't many options.  Just a Y really.  But, I intend to move into my house that needs renovations before too long and will have greater access to studios and trainers.  I know that can be expensive though.  Still, I will put it as a priority. 

That's the unfortunate thing about sports, not a lot of them are inexpensive. Surprisingly my 'cheapest' one is archery because that equipment hardly cost more than the running shoes I keep having to replace when I've literally run them to the ground. I hope you find something affordable you like!

2 minutes ago, Sonja said:

That's the unfortunate thing about sports, not a lot of them are inexpensive. Surprisingly my 'cheapest' one is archery because that equipment hardly cost more than the running shoes I keep having to replace when I've literally run them to the ground. I hope you find something affordable you like!

This is so WILD.  Yesterday, I had an appointment with my Endocrinologist and saw one of those free newspapers on holistic health in the lobby.  I grabbed one and there is an ad for a personal trainer who works on helping you with health issues and building core strength.  It was the first thing I saw when I opened it up!  What a coincidence.  She's located near my office, so, I'm going to check her out.  Still, pretty pricey, I bet though. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, girllifehacks said:

Hi I am new to this community for some excitement and information.

Hello and welcome.  Why don't you tell us more about your situation.  I hope that others around here can help you.  This is really not my area.  I'm trying, though.  It's nice to see a new person around. 

I feel like no one selling exercise equipment, diet products, plastic surgery, etc. can be trusted to give a truthful answer. I've put on more weight around my middle and I'm looking to take it off. What have you found to be the best option? Cardio? Core exercises? Weights? Is it mostly influenced by diet and not exercise? 

It's times like this that I really get annoyed at the diet/beauty/health/fitness/wellness industry for muddying the waters so much that you can't get a simple answer to a basic question. I do think I need to cut sugar again. At least for a while. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Is it mostly influenced by diet and not exercise? 

Since it's a math problem at it's core, I look at it this way: Calories consumed need to be less than calories burned, and it is way easier move the dial on "Calories consumed."

So diet first. Find whatever calorie counter, food intake calculator works for you. Get a sense of what a day's worth of food looks like when you're trying to lose weight.  Then a good combination of cardio and core exercise will contribute towards the goal. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I've put on more weight around my middle and I'm looking to take it off. What have you found to be the best option?

I've found the best way to tone the middle is rollerblading.  It is the only thing that managed to knock out the post baby pooch.  I think it works your core, but while I was doing it I never found it to be "exercise".  At first I was so focused on staying upright, I had no extra head space for anything else.  Once I could stay upright, I was so pleased with myself I just had fun.  It felt more like an emotional workout than a physical one, but it took care of the concerns about my middle.

• Love 1

I remember you saying that, @DeLurker, and I've thought about trying it, but I'm not sure I want to go to the expense for something I may never have time to do. It sounds fun, but it also sounds scary. I roller skated a lot when I was a kid and was pretty good at it, but at some point, my balance changed, and I'm not so good at things like that now. I'm afraid of falling and hurting myself and afraid of falling and looking like an idiot. I'm old enough that I ought to be over that last one, but, well, sometimes I'm not. It does sound like more fun than running, though (and I like to run -- sort of).

• Love 2

The elbow and knee pads were a solid idea.  Balance issues now make it an unthinkable idea.

If there is a Play It Again Sports that place is a bonanza for finding almost new sports equipment.  

We used to have one -- or something like it -- here years ago, but it closed. I just discovered there is one not far from my in-laws' house, however, and we'll be visiting in a few weeks. Perhaps I'll check it out if there's time. (It's going to be Father's Day and the weekend of my husband's aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary, and everyone is going to be there, so the weekend is probably packed already.)

I just discovered we have a roller skating rink in town again, and it has inline skates. I'm going to call to find out when they are least crowded. I don't want to have to try to avoid running into too many people.

• Love 1

I wish that I had skated more when I was younger.  I wasn't very good at it, but, would have, if I had practiced more, I bet.  I don't do it now, because, I cannot afford to get an injury that would put me out of commission.  I own my own business and am responsible for several family members.  I'm not sure what I would do if I suffered some fractures.  I don't even want to think about it.  

• Love 1

I managed to learn to rollerblade around 31-32 without killing myself.  

Around 40, my son got a skateboard and I was going to show him something really basic.  I had done it a lot when I was a kid through college, even used to take my dog out on one so she could run.  Did not even hesitate for a moment to get on the board.

All it took was a moment and I instantly lost my balance, instinctively put out my hands to break my fall and somehow absorbed all the impact through my right shoulder.  It hurt for weeks, and my humiliation to this very day.

(edited)

DeLurker,  you sound pretty brave and agile. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be out there being so daring.  I have a friend who broke a leg skiing and it was huge inconvenience.  Maybe, I'm letting it get in the way.  But, I do have to really think of the risks.  Also, I have a friend who's husband (in his 40's)  joined the kids ice skating.  He fell and hit his head and suffered permanent brain damage.  He rehabbed his way back, but, still has some issues. I suppose that was a rather rare occurrence though. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
17 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

DeLurker,  you sound pretty brave and agile. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be out there being so daring.

Decently brave and agile in the yesteryears.  I've learned it is best to have forgiving surfaces around me these days - so beach sand or water.

• Love 1

Y'all, I tried a HIIT workout tonight for the first time. I may not be able to move in the morning, assuming I'm still alive. I swim regularly and this beginner HIIT class kicked my ass.

• Love 1
On 5.6.2018 at 6:28 AM, DeLurker said:

I managed to learn to rollerblade around 31-32 without killing myself.  

Around 40, my son got a skateboard and I was going to show him something really basic.  I had done it a lot when I was a kid through college, even used to take my dog out on one so she could run.  Did not even hesitate for a moment to get on the board.

All it took was a moment and I instantly lost my balance, instinctively put out my hands to break my fall and somehow absorbed all the impact through my right shoulder.  It hurt for weeks, and my humiliation to this very day.

I recently bought a skateboard to shorten ways from the car to meetings (there have been a lot of no-go zones for cars implemented where I live in recent years and I happen to have meetings in one of those regularly), but then I remembered that the last time I was on one was in my teens and I'm now over 40. It has been staring at me accusingly from its space in the hallway since then, waiting for me to try and break a limb or two.

7 hours ago, emma675 said:

Y'all, I tried a HIIT workout tonight for the first time. I may not be able to move in the morning, assuming I'm still alive. I swim regularly and this beginner HIIT class kicked my ass.

Congrats! Assuming you're still alive that is ;-)