Type keyword(s) to search

Exercise: What's Your Workout?

• Start Topic

I'm an exercise and endorphin addict and figure I can't be the only one.  

I have a ton of room at home, so I do a lot of things at home, including the elliptical, yoga programs from Do Yoga with Me.  I love all of Jessica Smith's Stuff.  I like her core fusion workout a lot.   The Fitness Blender is always a good bet too although they are the people most likely to make me swear my head off at them. Freaking Burpees are evil.   

I am the freak who likes to work out alone, so that's why I like workout videos so much and there are a TON of them available for free.

Anyone have any good discoveries? 

• Love 4

Interesting! Where are the free ones? If you don't mind sharing. I have been bad, bad, bad for many, many months now due to a long list of pathetic & hideous life crap, but prior to that I always worked out in group settings. I love classes. Any of them, except cycling, I've tried a bunch: BodyPump, BodyFlow, Pilates, Yoga, Barre, Kickboxing, Dance & Lift, Belly Dancing, TRX, Zumba, Plyometrics, I'm probably forgetting others. I've also worked out in small groups & found that I love lifting. I've done boot camps as well, but don't particularly like them.

Now, due to that life crap mess, I need to try working out alone at home for awhile. I have a few DVDs & a set of weights. I just need to figure out the all by myself thing. I've started a new n=1 experiment with some dietary changes so trying a new fitness regime seems to make sense now as well. I miss the old sweaty endorphin high.

• Love 1

Just running for me!  And I use the term "running" loosely - at my best I'm still really slow, and I have to build my endurance back up after our long winter.  Right now I do intervals, and I'm hoping to build up to running a 10K without stopping by the end of September.  I was a couch potato for years, then about a year ago I made some pretty significant lifestyle changes because I was sick of being tired, overweight, and unhealthy.  I'm living proof that you don't have to be good at exercise to reap its benefits :)

• Love 3
(edited)

I hope everything is okay now, ramble.  I don't mind sharing at all, and actually linked to those sites in my posts.  The links will take you directly to their content and all the content I linked to is free.   Although Smith does have DVDs, all the stuff on her site is free and she has a Youtube channel, also free.  Try clicking the links in my posts but specifically, try clicking the colored words here for the Fusion Sculpt workout I mentioned.    Or if that just isn't working, try this: 

http://www.jessicasmithtv.com/video_posts/fusion-sculpt-workout-1/

Let me know if you need help finding any others and hit me up in PM if you need to.  I love this stuff, and would love to help.  A good thing about a lot of Smith's stuff is much of it is contained on an exercise mat, so you don't need a ton of room to range.  You might like Fitness Blender, from what you've mentioned.  My husband does one of their HIIT training videos several times a week.  I like the stuff from the internet, in part because there is so much free content, but also because it means that the workout can go wherever my laptop can go :-) 

Congratulations, RescueMom! My husband is the runner in the family.   If you're ever looking to add to that, weight training is actually supposed to help with things like insomnia.  I'm not sure if that's true or not, I do it like a fiend and frequently have insomnia.  I guess that mean I'd pretty much never sleep if I didn't workout.  

We have not being innately good at this stuff in common, by the way.  Part of the reason I like to workout at home is that a) I am far from being elegant when working out, so I sweat floods b) I am sure I look like a full blown moron, but that's okay.  My dog isn't prone to judging my coordination.  Although she does try to pounce on me during yoga.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

My dog isn't prone to judging my coordination.  Although she does try to pounce on me during yoga.  

My dogs rush to lie down on the mat anytime there is an open spot.  So if I'm trying to do yoga or crunches, there is usually a dog underneath my head :)

I have fought bad insomnia my whole life, and exercise has helped tremendously.  Another thing that has really helped is to banish anything with a lit screen - Nook, phone, laptop, TV, etc - just before bed and when/if I wake up in the middle of the night.  (Apparently something about the backlit screens triggers the brain to want to stay awake, according to my therapist.)  So now I read a good old-fashioned made-from-paper book if I wake up, or do a crossword puzzle, or something like that.

I've been meaning to add weight training in, just need to do it instead of thinking about doing it!

Edited to add: I'm also sorry to hear about your struggles, ramble.  I hope things are working out.

Edited by RescueMom

Ha! Yeah, anything on the floor tends to make Pud think "Oh hurray! Play time!"  and so whereas I'm sure there really is some serene mental component to Yoga, usually I've got one eye on form and the other is on the lookout for whatever dog toy is likely to end up in my face when Pud thinks that clearly, it's playtime, but I've forgotten to bring any of her toys.  So she helpfully drops them on me throughout.   This leads to me trying to quickly throw the toy out of my path, which to her just looks like I'm playing some demented, inverted form of fetch and the cycle repeats.  I could just close her out of the room, but truthfully?  It's pretty fun.  

Hey, if you're interested in adding weight training at any point here's a good starter arm workout.  If you're new to it, go light with 3 pound weights, or you can actually use water bottles too.   Just something to try if you're ever in the mood!  Yes, I'm a workout pusher.  My secret is out. 

That's another Fitness Blender one.  They are super dry (no music), but the nice thing about that is you can have it running on a laptop, glance at it for the count, etc.  and watch TV while doing it, or listen to music.  

• Love 1

Yes, I'm a workout pusher.  My secret is out. 

I find encouraging each other with fitness is really helpful.  My sisters and I have started this silly tradition of texting each other pictures of ourselves post-run, in all of our red-faced, sweaty glory.  But getting one of those texts has more than once motivated me to get out there even if I had decided I was too busy (or whatever excuse had come along...)

• Love 2

On days I don't go for a walk, I do free weights at home, and when I'm doing the exercises I do lying on the floor, I wind up with a cat on my chest.  The best was when my kitty Baxter was alive; he would lie down next to me on his back, with his front paws curled like he was holding invisible dumbbells himself.

• Love 2

Thanks guys for the words of support. I appreciate it! :) Things are in a holding pattern for the next 6-8 weeks & than life will head one way or the other. Limbo is not a place I like to be. I'm a planner & the last 3 years have freaked me out quite a lot. I've used that, some family problems & a few bad relationship choices as excuses for far too long. My butt is expanding proof!

I have two big dogs & they really don't care if I'm on the floor working out. They prefer the bed or the sofa. They're a wee bit spoiled. I have hardwood floors & it's a little too hard for the softies to want to stretch out on that often.

stillshimpy thanks for the info on videos. I forgot that I even marked a few on YouTube a few months ago. Stress gives me serious sieve brain. I've told myself on Monday I'm going to suck it up & start working out at home. I can't be at the gym right now so I'm going to have to do this on my own. Eeeeekkk!

RescueMom, first, good for you on the running. I hate running. I really wanted to love it, but after trying off & on for a couple of years I admitted defeat. I'm impressed! Second, sorry to hear about your insomnia. I struggle with it in waves. At times I have to give in & use pills, which I hate, but I try my best not to. I use melatonin at times & that helps, but similar to you I have to aware of light at the wrong time of night. I use some of those amber glasses to block certain light spectrum & they actually seem to help. That is when I remember. Sieve brain is everywhere!

Bastet the idea of your former kitty doing curls is precious! I'm crazy allergic to cats, so I can't have them, but my youngest & I watch silly cat videos together pretty often because they're stinking cute.

Edited by ramble

When I work out, I alternate between Couch to 5K (though taking it slow, so it's more like twice a week, at least as of late, instead of once a week) and yoga. Of course, now, my husband and I are house-sitting for my parents as my dad gets cancer treatment in Houston. Their house is a half-hour away from our apartment, and while I looked it up and found a location for my gym not far away (been taking the yoga classes through the gym, as they're included with the cost of membership), I haven't gotten out and ventured there yet. So the last couple of weeks, I haven't really done much at all, other than take care of my parents' dogs and make sure their house stays intact. I even brought workout clothes and sports bras and stuff with me so I could work out, and...nothing. I'll get back on it, I know. The weather being all, "You know how it felt like summer outside? Well...guess what? You've been punk'd!" didn't exactly help, either. (Yeah, I know...it's the Midwest, but it's fucking May, goddammit!)

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope your Dad is doing well, Downton .  It's hard to want to do yoga when it's so cold out too.  I'd taken the whole winter off from it, because where I tend to do the program is actually kind of a cold room in the winter.  About a month ago I figure, "Well, it's certainly warm enough in Spring."  but instead I've been shivering my way through yoga.   As a result, all winter long I did thinks like kickboxing, etc.  and guess what?  All the stuff I did that wasn't focused on remaining limber isn't helping with the "It's cold and stiff in here!" 

C'mon, Spring!  Get here before it's time for summer.  If you hurry we could all have two full weeks of decent weather before the change of seasons.  

Anyway, I think you've got a pretty understandable reason for taking a bit of an exercise break.   I hope everything turns out okay.  

Edited by stillshimpy

When I work out, I alternate between Couch to 5K (though taking it slow, so it's more like twice a week, at least as of late, instead of once a week) and yoga.

I used the Couch to 5K program last year.  It's supposed to take 9 weeks, I think - it took me 5 months to get to 5K :)  But my philosophy is this: if you are exhausted, out of breath, and drenched in sweat after your workout, you are obviously working out hard enough.

I sure hope things go well for your dad.  I can imagine how emotionally exhausting things are for you right now.  Take it easy on yourself and take care of yourself however feels right.

All of my friends are posting memes that say "We're sure having a nice winter this spring!"  It's still rainy and really cold through tomorrow, but we are actually supposed to have 60, dry, and sunny weather over the weekend.  So I plan to get outside both days and do my long (5.4 miles) hilly route as a nice kickstart to outdoor spring workouts!!

My workout? Three times a week, the continued survival of hundreds of people is dependent on me traversing the post-apocalyptic English countryside in order to gather supplies and information, all while staying one step ahead of the undead.

In other words, I play Zombies, Run! Less a game than an engaging and well-acted audio drama where you occasionally have to run faster to keep ahead of the zoms, it's one of the best motivational tools I've found. It turns my media bingeing habit into an asset, because my usual "just one more episode" turns into "just one more lap around the park." It's taken me from "no physical activity" to "yesterday I walked five and a half miles" in the past year, and that's with several months off for an unrelated knee injury.

• Love 5

I exercise by walking to and from work, my employer gave me a pedometer through Virgin Health Miles, and I actually get paid (up to $500 a year) for all the walking I do.  The money is definitely an impetus to walk more.  I also bought an Up fitness band, which measures my steps and how much I sleep.  

For muscle training, I use a free app called Nike Fitness Club  which I downloaded to my Ipod Touch, (there's also an Android version). I love it, it's got dozens of different workouts, ranging from 15 to 45 minutes.   The app shows how to do each exercise, but when you're doing it, you just listen to the announcer/coach, and put on whatever type of music playlist you like in the background.  I like it because like stillshimpy I prefer to workout alone, I don't have to worry about looking stupid doing the exercise badly, I can pause the workout if I get tired.  I also like a lot of variety, I don't want to do the same workout every day, or listen to the same music while I'm working out (which is why I don't like exercise DVDs). I have about 12 different workouts a rotate between, and about 15 different playlists of music.  The music I listen to is my favorite music, and I don't let myself listen to it except when I'm exercising.

I think I will check out Zombies, Run.  It would be especially appropriate for my runs, since I do most of my running in a cemetery that a short distance behind my house.  

• Love 2

The music I listen to is my favorite music, and I don't let myself listen to it except when I'm exercising.

I think I will check out Zombies, Run.  It would be especially appropriate for my runs, since I do most of my running in a cemetery that a short distance behind my house.  

I do the same with my music - I only get to listen to it when I'm working out. Which reminds me - I might start a "favorite cardio songs" in the music forum.  I thought about doing that before this exercise thread got started, but didn't know if there'd be enough other TV junkies here that also like to work out :) 

I bought Zombies, Run! today - I splurged for the $4 version (there's a couch-to-5K version that is only $2), and plan to try it out tomorrow!!

I will totally join you in a "best cardio music" thread; my playlist is currently three hours long (between the radio clips I get an average of around 45 minutes to an hour of music per walk), and the first thought in my head every time I hear a new song is, "does this belong on the walking playlist?"

I hope those of you who're trying ZR! out enjoy it! Be forewarned, you will fall in love with Sam.

• Love 1

I will totally join you in a "best cardio music" thread; my playlist is currently three hours long (between the radio clips I get an average of around 45 minutes to an hour of music per walk), and the first thought in my head every time I hear a new song is, "does this belong on the walking playlist?"

OK, I just started a topic in the Music forum, and opened myself to wide ridicule by posting some of my faves!!

• Love 1

I just gave in and bought a fit bit one to gamify my workouts and activity levels. I am trying to get my bum in gear for health reasons,and I'm hoping to drop 40 lbs by the time I turn 40 at the end if Sept. or maybe 4.0 lbs. :)

I do kettlebells, walking, and elliptical at the gym. I have kickboxed and done martial arts in the past. I want to try yoga, but I refuse to do "hot yoga" because that sounds like my personal hell.

Anyone have good meditative/stretching/strength yoga recommends?

(edited)
Anyone have good meditative/stretching/strength yoga recommends?

Are you looking for videos to do at home, or the type of classes you'd like to take?  Also, are you a beginner?

Here's a link to that Do Yoga With Me site (it is free) Beginner's Studio.   When I first started yoga I liked to do this one as a cool down, or before working out.  It's super basic and it was just a way to get a feel for it without nearly breaking my neck.  It's short enough that I could combine it with other workouts.  It's not challenging, but it's a very gentle introduction with basically no risk of near death (a bonus!) It's called Bend and Stretch.  .

Then because my main problem with yoga was super tight hamstrings and hip flexors, I also would do (alternately) this Hamstring Release and it really helped.  Really works, and it's best to have a strap.  

Then this is a really good Beginner Basics in Flow.  It's longish and it also features really detailed instructions.  It's a little deceptive in that the first few times I did it, I thought, "Hey, this looks pretty slow..." Oh god.  I had to get a yoga towel to keep fro slipping out of the pose and (mindfully, I'm sure) faceplanting .  It's more challenging than it looks and it is absolutely something you'd want to start after you can recognize some of the pose calling.  It's sort of "next step up from a true beginner".  I love the instructor though, she's super thorough.  

Hope that helps! 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1
(edited)

I hope those of you who're trying ZR! out enjoy it! Be forewarned, you will fall in love with Sam.

OK, "Zombies, Run!" is a blast!!  I did the first three missions over the weekend, and got 3 miles in on Saturday and 5.4 today.  Mostly walking since I'm not a very good runner at my best, and I lost most of the endurance I had built up over our LONG winter.  But 8.4 miles of walking (with plenty of zombie-chase running intervals) feels pretty good!

Thanks so much for telling us about that - I'm really excited to get back to it tomorrow!!!  I want to do more today but my legs just won't take it.

Edited to add:  The first time I tried it, the second song that came on from my playlist was "Zombie" by The Cranberries.  That was pretty much perfect!

Edited by RescueMom

Soooo, I am trying to get better at going to my Jazzercise because it's the kind of activity that I like.  Since I am not happy with how I feel and look, you'd think that would be motivation enough. Nuh uh.  I stay for at least 30mins of the 60 and will even attempt 45 mins tonight. The last 15 mins of floor work is uncomfortable for me right now; the getting down and getting back up. Sheesh.

But since I am paying I really need to go!  Remind me: at which point do the endorphins kick in?  ;)  Man, I need those buggers workin' for me!

(edited)

My exercise mainly consists of walking on the treadmill every day. I take one day a week off from it (usually Sunday).

Edited by Madness

I do Pilates on Mondays, weight training in the gym Saturdays, play around with Kettlebells and TRX at home when watching TV and try to run 3 times a week. As a one-hipped asthmatic, running is always a gamble for me, but on good days there is hardly anything better than just get out there. In summer, I also do 3D archery - no live animals (which would be illegal anyway), we have several courses peppered with styrofoam animals that take hours to get through.

I've been having trouble with my running playlists. I am mostly listening to rock music when working out in the gym, but I can't use the same playlist for running or I get too fast and have to cut the run short. Any suggestions?

I've been talked into running my first 5k in two weeks and am at the point where I ask myself why I thought this was a good idea ;-)

I'm a middle distance runner so about 5-6 k each run, but only about once or twice a week. I took a break after my last 10K in March; I prefer running in the winter. I also do hot yoga (not Bikram - too boring) as I like the cardio, it's a great indoor winter activity, and I do get some strength. I'm learning to swim properly, but not sure if that will be part of my regular workout routine. I'm looking into trying kettlebell/TRX soon as I really do need more strength work. I cycle and walk to work, but I don't like going to the gym. 

• Love 1

Sonja, we started a "Favorite Cardio Songs" topic in the music forum.

I have asthma as well (but I still have two hips). I still prefer to go outside, and if I am struggling with my breathing too badly I do a walk instead of a run. I figure 3-6 miles walking is still good exercise!

• Love 1

Seriously, walking is great stuff, plus it's just nice to see the world.  It's super beautiful where I live, although the Oak Trees are currently getting their freak on with a vengeance, so I'm even keeping the windows closed this week.  

I've been having trouble with my running playlists. I am mostly listening to rock music when working out in the gym, but I can't use the same playlist for running or I get too fast and have to cut the run short. Any suggestions?

I don't know if this would work for you or not, but I have a playlist filled with the kind music that usually plays while you're getting a massage.  Basically spa melodies stuff, it's really good for that kind of opened eyed-meditation that can be helpful with running.  Again, wouldn't work for everyone , but it has a nice, slow, steady pace to it, so basically you set your pace and the music will just encourage you to keep to it.  

Sorry, I didn't read this correctly when I replied before.  I am a very, very slow runner - to the point where I am always tempted to put "running" in quotes.  I have quite a few songs that work nicely for the slower pace, and I mix them in with my cardio songs so I can shuffle to a slower one if I want.  Off the top of my head, some of the ones I have on there are "Baker Street," "Last Dance with Mary Jane," "Free Falling," "Me and Bobby McGee."  The kind of songs that would play during scenes in the moving where the hero is running to work through his/her angst, you know?  Then I pretend I'm running easily like the hero/heroine in the movie would be, while I'm actually straining to breathe and trying not to trip or pass out.

I could look through my list for more suggestions, or maybe we could start a "Best Songs for Slow Runners" topic :)

• Love 1

I have asthma as well (but I still have two hips). I still prefer to go outside, and if I am struggling with my breathing too badly I do a walk instead of a run. I figure 3-6 miles walking is still good exercise!

Technically I have two of them too, but according to doctors my hipdysplasia is so severe I should have never been able to walk, so running can sometimes be rather painful. At the moment I'm struggling more with the pollen though. Walking is great!

Sorry, I didn't read this correctly when I replied before.  I am a very, very slow runner - to the point where I am always tempted to put "running" in quotes.  I have quite a few songs that work nicely for the slower pace, and I mix them in with my cardio songs so I can shuffle to a slower one if I want.  Off the top of my head, some of the ones I have on there are "Baker Street," "Last Dance with Mary Jane," "Free Falling," "Me and Bobby McGee."  The kind of songs that would play during scenes in the moving where the hero is running to work through his/her angst, you know?  Then I pretend I'm running easily like the hero/heroine in the movie would be, while I'm actually straining to breathe and trying not to trip or pass out.

I could look through my list for more suggestions, or maybe we could start a "Best Songs for Slow Runners" topic :)

Those are some great suggestions, thank you! Me and Bobby McGee is one of my favourite songs ever (Kris Kristofferson's Austin City Limits version especially).

I always tend to run too fast. I had trouble breathing during a run last weekend and when I checked my watch, it turned out I was running at 5.34, which is way too fast for me to last 5k. 'Fill our Wounds' by In Flight Safety is a great song to run a steady 7.14, but I'm still looking for something that can pace me somewhere between 6.40 and 7.00. 'Just Breathe' by Peal Jam has worked in the past to slow me down too. I guess it's going to be trial and error for quite some time.

(edited)

Try "Sunday Bloody Sunday." It's got a good, aggressive energy to it, but when I tried to put it on my walking playlist I found that it was slowing me down.

Edited by Tabbyclaw
  • Love 2

If you're walking as your workout, you could do what I do and listen to audiobooks.   I try to choose one that's pretty exciting, and I make myself walk for however many chapters it takes to equal the number of minutes I need to walk.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I also recently, within the last couple of months, discovered the heinous things called "supersets"  scaled back to the size of a Me versus what actual bodybuilders would do, but they're sort of hilariously difficult.  You do things like use a "heavy" weight (that's relative, to me that's going to be 10 pounds) and then do three exercises, no rest in between, but it's even more complicated than that.  First you do 8 slow reps of an exercise (like a lunge press) then 16 fast, then do the other side...then move to the next exercise immediately, following the same format (8 slow, 16 quick, no pausing), then to the next, same gig.  

Oh.my.god, with the muscle fatigue by the time you're done.  I am clearly a Jessica Smith junkie at this point, but this is the workout I've been doing. The first time I ever did it there was a point where I'm fairly certain I began swearing fluently in Romanian, despite having no familiarity with the language at all.  I'm just guessing that the string of garbled protest that came spilling out of me was a) likely swearing, emphatic swearing at that b) without a doubt no related to any language I hear on a regular basis.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I have a treadmill, which has become a neccessity where I live where you can't excercise comfortably outside for 7-8 months out of the year. One of the best purchases I've made. I walk daily while watching TV, and that combined with tracking everything I eat with the Lose It app has led to me losing 50 pounds since last July. Now that it's nice outside though I prefer bicycling. That Zombies Run thing looks super cool though. I might try that. :)

• Love 4
(edited)
I walk daily while watching TV, and that combined with tracking everything I eat with the Lose It app has led to me losing 50 pounds since last July.

Congratulations!!! That's a serious accomplishment! I'm with you on the "best money I ever spent" thing.  I have an elliptical in front of a big TV and it means that no matter how cold , dreadful, rainy, or anything it is out, I can jump on that, watch a show and make sure I get exercise at the same time.  Works out splendidly for me.

I'd read recently that one of the seemingly endless (and frequently contradictory) studies that was done indicated that you'll get more out of exercise when you are "mentally engaged" and let me tell you, if that's true?  Sign me up for getting less out of it, because about the last thing I like to think about while exercising is...exercising.   It blows chunks to dwell on, at least for me.  I'm sure someone out there just really, really loves concentrating on the act of exercising, but for stuff like interval cardio and that whole "Sprint, flat-out, no holds barred, exert yourself to the fullest for two minutes, then take a slower "active recovery" rate for 30-to-60 seconds" ....I would never, ever, ever be able to do that if I was concentrating on the act of doing it, you know?  

I think my thought pattern would run to "Wow this is really difficult and really not that comfortable.  I think my earlobes are sweating.  That seems wrong on every known , basic level.  I just want to cuddle, nap and eat junk food rather than doing this to myself willingly.  Ugh."  and I'd quit at the 22 second mark.  

If I can watch Olivia Pope's latest misadventures with that painful thing she calls love instead?  Works for me!    

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

Oh yeah, I'm with you. I need something to engage my brain while I'm working out so that the next thing I know 45 minutes has gone by and I feel like I got just as good of a workout despite not concentrating on it. I'm pretty sure I burn the same amount of calories watching an epsidoe of Survivor as I would just working out with nothing else!

Ok, hopefully you folks can help.

I live in 440 sq ft - with my 14 year old daughter.  She has the bedroom, I have the living room.  I would LOVE to have some sort of treadmill contraption that doesn't take up LOADS of room.  Any suggestions?

I live in swamp land Florida, and HIGHLY allergic to bugs so going out and walking, biking, whatevers isn't an option.  I need something to do IN the house. 

Ideas?

(edited)

Let's see, do you have a corner of a room and can you clear floor space regularly to accommodate one that folds down? 

Here are the results on a search for "Compact treadmills for apartments"  here's the third on that list, shown folded up.

You could either store it under something and pull it out when you need it, or store so that you can unfold it.  

If you don't really care how it looks, one of those can fit near the TV and you can just leave it out.  The second one I linked to is a manual treadmill -- you provide the power -- but the first on that list is motorized.  

But that's the search you want to be running.  "Compact treadmills for apartments" or "compact treadmills for small spaces"  :-)  Also, don't forget to check play it again sports.  They have goo deals on treadmills.  I'd personally suggest going with a motorized one if you can figure out the space for it.  

Edited by stillshimpy

Thank you @stillshimpy - curious ... have you seen that new thing they are advertising on the TV - I wish I could remember what it was called, but instead of a treadmill, it's more like a climber contraption, and it takes up a lot less space.  I was trying to find a picture of it, I think I will just have to watch more tv to find it again.

In any case, I will look through some of those that you posted.

(edited)

You're welcome, BizBuzz, my pleasure.  

Are you thinking of the Bowflex Tread Climber, by any chance?  

I used to have a bowflex gym, but actually traded it to a trainer I was working with for some sessions, so that I could replace it with the elliptical.  I personally prefer free weights, but that's a whole different thing.  

The thing about climbers, or steppers is that, although it certainly will help, what really happens with a repetitive motion like that is you tend to train your muscles in a way that doesn't necessarily mimic a natural motion.  When we climb stairs, it's actually a slightly different motion than steppers can provide.   Only point being, if you get something, you might want to consider getting something that allows for a stride (natural motion), vs. the up-down-up-down of a "stepper"..  Heck though, if that's going to be the thing that gives you an opportunity to move and you think it's what you'll like?  Then that's the right thing for you.  

The only concern with a "stepper" is that you'll over-train your quads, not that that is bad, or anything, it can just cause some issues with hip flexors and you'd need to make sure you stretch them out after every session.  They're a big muscle group though, so training them isn't bad, it's just walking allows for your glutes and hamstrings to be a bit more involved and you don't end up with an unbalanced result.  Does that make sense? 

It normally wouldn't matter, because people would normally just walk to compensate.  Sounds like that really isn't an option outside.  Have you considered loading up your ipod and just walking around the mall, by the way?  It never would have occurred to me, but we had a shit-tastic winter here and one of the times I ran out to the mall to pick up something, I ran into two of my neighbors, dressed in their walking garb.  They just walked the mall and got their walking in that way.  So that might be one way to do that.  Pedometers are actually pretty cheap and common now, so you could know how far you'd gone.  Plus, you get to do a spot of people watching too. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2
(edited)

I aggravated a herniated disc in my neck a little over a week ago, so I've been on forced hiatus and can tell because I'm getting cranky!  Yoga bores the crap out of me, but I think I'm going to sign up for 1-2 sessions a week because I think that will help strengthen and stretch my back and neck safely better than anything else.  I don't suppose they make a "Zombies, Downward Dog, STAT!!" app, do they? :)

Edited by RescueMom
  • Love 1

WOW, thanks @stillshimpy, this is the kind of information I need!  That is not the thing I saw.  The thing I saw had much less of a footprint.  I am going to find it.  It also had something that was almost like a pully thing for your arms.  So it was a contraption that gave you a cardio workout, but also some stuff for the full body.

Malls would be a good idea except my closest indoor mall is about an hour away.  I live in a resort town and the two malls we have are outdoor malls. 

I am thinking however, that you are going to help me find something.  I can feel it.  ::giggle::

(edited)

RescueMom, consider mat series Pilates -- lot of the same moves as yoga, but you don't salute anything and there's no savasana (corpse pose at the end where I pretend to meditate and instead wonder "will this be over soon, 'cause I've sort of got to get to the store...").  Here's an example, although if you just search youtube for mat series Pilates (I have no idea what level you are, so I just grabbed a beginner link) , plus that Pop Pilates instructor is someone you either love, or want to throw things at.  She's super perky.  I like her, but I sort of like high energy types.  

I am thinking however, that you are going to help me find something.  I can feel it.  ::giggle::

Hehe, yeah, I'm sort of tenacious about looking, so I'll do my best :-D You're welcome, by the way, it's clearly a subject I'm interested in (as evidenced by starting this thread, I suppose...the dead giveaway). 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

Good deal, thanks for working with me...

I came back in here to mention something about my FitBit, which I forgot to before.  I bought a FitBit back in August of last year, and I wear this thing every day.  I strive to get 10K steps a day, some days I go way past, and some days not so much.  ::giggle::

ETA:  I FOUND IT!!!

VersaClimber:

Now that I see the price, I am not so sure.  But tell me what you think?

(edited)

Okay, I see what you're talking about, BizBuzz.  I will tell you what I think, but please keep in mind that this is just the right answer for me and you might have a different right answer for you.  I don't think I'd personally like having that column in my face.  I've used gym climbers and that was my issue with it.  Exercise can feel a bit monotonous and for home exercise, it's really good to be able to watch TV, or look out a window.  Something that gives you the open-eyed meditation type of feel.  

However, that is just me.   When it comes to price, again, I'm just going to be super honest here and you can feel free to disregard it entirely.   You could get a yoga mat and do this side-to-side step (you can hold hand weights (super light ones will get that job done...I'm talking 1 to 2 pounds light)  and get the same level of workout for about twenty bucks total.  Plus, the side-to-side motion will target the exterior of your hips, glutes and thighs in a way that most women find more helpful thank hitting the quads a lot. Check this video at the 2:34 mark to see the motion I'm talking about.  That would give you good cardio for the cost of a yoga mat (target, 14 bucks, tops). 

So I'd try that before you invested in machine you're not sure about on the cost.  There's one other thing, if there's a YMCA near you, that's a good bet for a cheaper alternative to a gym....and a lot of people like them because they don't feel the same kind of competitive Fitness Fascists vibe that gyms can sometimes have.  It's just way more dialed back and pleasant.  

But that would be my main advice, try the low cost option first, to see if you actually dig it.  If you have a tv near an area where you could set out a mat, make a deal with yourself on how much time you'll do that for....even if all you're doing is shuffling back and forth towards the end of whatever time you decided you'd do...it's still moving, it still counts!

Edited by stillshimpy

RescueMom, consider mat series Pilates -- lot of the same moves as yoga, but you don't salute anything and there's no savasana (corpse pose at the end where I pretend to meditate and instead wonder "will this be over soon, 'cause I've sort of got to get to the store...").  

Thanks, I'll check it out!

My friend said, "oh, you'll love yoga, you'll be so relaxed!"  And I said no, I'll be more stressed than when I started, because I can't get into the meditative swing of it (believe me, I've tried).  So I always walk out feeling like a big old meditation failure, but with a much more stretched out back.

You have no idea @stillshimpy how much I appreciate your thought process.  This is what I want, honest opinions, and not someone forcing me to make a purchase that might not be in my best interest.

It makes TOTAL sense on the whole bar in your face thing!  I didn't even consider it.  I was just looking at the size of it.  HA!  See?  That is the kind of information I need!

Ok, later on this weekend, I am going to revisit the folding treadmills and get back to you with some questions.  Thanks again for helping me out!

I'd read recently that one of the seemingly endless (and frequently contradictory) studies that was done indicated that you'll get more out of exercise when you are "mentally engaged" and let me tell you, if that's true?  Sign me up for getting less out of it, because about the last thing I like to think about while exercising is...exercising.

I'm fairly certain that when they say things like that, they're talking about being aware of your form, not necessarily getting into a "totally in the moment" headspace. Just paying enough attention that you can go, "Wait, I should be feeling this movement in that muscle; do I have my hips in the right place? No; I need to hold them like this. Okay, now I'm feeling it." I had a (too-)brief stint of physical therapy last year, and one of the therapists was quick to point out my tendency to drift out of certain positions and the need for me to recognize that I was doing it and correct myself or I wouldn't actually target the areas that needed the help.

• Love 1