Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Return: Part 8

I felt like the kid whose parents tricked him into going to the museum, thinking he's going to see dinosaur skeletons and dioramas of cavemen, but instead he gets stuck at MOMA or MOCA.

But then the plot twist is that he becomes so inspired by the experience that he ends up majoring in art.

As beautifully mesmerizing as a Bela Tarr movie and I hope he gets away with it.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Penman61 said:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but Twin Peaks is starting to creep me the fuck out.

There is plenty of creepy stuff afoot, that's for sure: charred smoke people? That mutant irradiated bug thing? Said mutant bug crawling into someone's mouth?

After some further reflection though, I've decided as long as Robert Blake doesn't appear in front of me wearing pancake make-up and also claim he's simultaneously in my apartment, I'll probably be okay.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I didn't even think it might have been Club Silencio. That would be brilliant.

I think some people have already claimed the Giant's lair/White Lodge?? (who knows?) scenes tonight were filmed there - I don't know if that was it, but it looked like it. I knew they filmed at that location for this show.

There is a longstanding urban legend that you can see Sheryl Lee and Phoebe Augustine (Ronette Pulaski) sitting together when Naomi Watts and Laura Harring enter the club in MD. It looks a lot like them to me, but IIRC I think both have denied it. Who knows.

What's interesting is that so much of tonight has roots in the lore that's been circulating for years about the early drafts of FWWM, which did feature sequences set in the 1950s in which the Lodge beings were shown to arrive in our world or dimension. I had a feeling we'd see that explored here somehow. I just don't know quite what to make of it all yet. The Secret History does make it clear the "spirits" in the woods in Twin Peaks have been there centuries - maybe what emerged in the '40s was some of the other creatures, or maybe the nuclear tests changed the nature of their contact and our interaction.

I do think the "mother" banging on the door in part 3 was the same creature seen vomiting up BOB and other eggs tonight, as well as the creature who killed Sam and Tracey in the box in the premiere. The woman with the Giant was credited as "Senorita Dido", played by Joy Nash.

I do think that the creepy bums revived DoppleCoop, but I think they also removed BOB. That's what he seemed put out by, IMO.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
(edited)

When I watched this, I felt like I dropped a very large tab of Yellow Sunshine. What the Blue F**k  was that

Compulsively watchable, yet I am totally full-gonzo confused by the whole damn episode. And I am someone who stuck with Lost and Carnivale and actually made sense out of most of those shows.

Speaking of Carnivale -- I don't remember a mushroom cloud ... can someone please explain the reference? Thanks.

I recorded the thing so I will watch it again.  Soon.  When I can deal with it.  I will try say this much but I fear I am expressing this badly: Lynch is one director who really knows how to present things in terms of dreams; in both a visual style and also in that confounding dream-logic that underlies all dreams. 

I agree with other posters here: mesmerizing and disturbing and possibly nightmare-inducing as well.

And, finally, to sum up: What the fuck?

Edited by Pippin
For clarity but why am I bothering? After all, this is David Lynch we're talking about here.
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ichbin said:

For a while there I thought I was watching some kind of Koyaanisqatsi / Carnivàle hybrid.

Thank you. As did I. Sooo, David Lynch wants to be 1982 Phillip Glass? WTF. I could understand if this was what I tuned in for or went to a concert to see, but it wasn't. Just more over-the-top Lynchian vanity crap he pulled out of his ass and threw against the wall to see what sticks. I gave up after about 15 mins of the late night re-showing, found it On Demand (already!) and fast forwarded through about 90%. NOTE: I love Koyaanisqatsi and still mourn the cancellation of Carnivàle. Although, for the latter I have learned from TP:TR, be careful what you wish for cuz you might just get it!

1 hour ago, Pippin said:

Speaking of Carnivale -- I don't remember a mushroom cloud ... can someone please explain the reference? Thanks.

Season 2, Episode 1, Los Moscos: Ben has a vision of the mushroom cloud while driving through New Mexico. Ben's new mission is to stop the creation of the Atom Bomb.

Thanks to DJSUNYC for summarizing WTF was going on.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

There is a longstanding urban legend that you can see Sheryl Lee and Phoebe Augustine (Ronette Pulaski) sitting together when Naomi Watts and Laura Harring enter the club in MD. It looks a lot like them to me, but IIRC I think both have denied it. Who knows.

OMG! Thank you for this. I'd never heard that rumor. so I went a-googling, and found this article. There's a screen grab of what you mentioned and it is most definitely them. 

I'm working three hours of sleep -- and woke up this morning with episode 8 fresh on my mind. I love art.

9 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

NOTE: I love Koyaanisqatsi and still mourn the cancellation of Carnivàle.

Right with you. 

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

OMG! Thank you for this. I'd never heard that rumor. so I went a-googling, and found this article. There's a screen grab of what you mentioned and it is most definitely them. 

I mean, I think so too but they've always denied it, AFAIK. I can't lay hands on the quotes, though.

Allegedly Lynch also denied it in his old chatroom. But I've never quite bought it. I think it's either them or deliberate ringers.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
(edited)

One step forward, fifty steps back.

That was tedious, self-important, and utterly dull for me since I never cared about the mythology beyond the quirky touch it added. I was in for the characters and their stories. And the bomb, seriously? How cliché.

Again, they should have called this show "David Lynch's Mystery Theater" or something.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 12
24 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Again, they should have called this show "David Lynch's Mystery Theater" or something.

Only if we get Crow and Tom Servo doing commentary! I could get behind that one.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Pippin said:

carnivale was one of my favorite shows of all time :)

as the dwarf said in one of his monologues on the show - it was the nuke bomb test over trinity where man turned wonder into reason.  it was the event that ended all the creature of light/darkness battle and put all mystical/mythological stuff to end as man took full control of everything bad in this world.

like lark mentioned - ben had a vision of the bomb and the plant that created it, along with brother justin, and he knew he had to stop it.

unfortunately, in another vision, when sophie was reading his tarot cards, he got a vision of him and sophie kissing as the bomb exploded - meaning he was unsuccessful stopping it.

• Love 2
(edited)

alot of times, tv shows are hyped.  tweets by the network or stars saying "you have to watch tonight's episode".  but this might be one of the few times the hype  didn't even do it justice.

Edited by djsunyc
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I feel like we all just experienced a mass hallucination.

The final 10 or 15 minutes was some of the most disturbing imagery I think I've  ever seen.

I don't have nightmares, but I'm gonna have nightmares. 

Ha!  Luna - I wish I hadn't had the three glasses of wine before the episode!  It made me dizzy!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ChipBach said:

Ha!  Luna - I wish I hadn't had the three glasses of wine before the episode!  It made me dizzy!

I felt like somebody slipped me some Ayahuasca.

Maybe time is irrelevant, but the bomb exploded in 1945 - Giant sends Laura in 1945 but she arrives in 1956? Or Giant waited 11 years before sending her??? Then needs to wait until she is an adult before fighting evil??? Not much of a Galactic Guardian.....

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, paigow said:

Maybe time is irrelevant, but the bomb exploded in 1945 - Giant sends Laura in 1945 but she arrives in 1956? Or Giant waited 11 years before sending her??? Then needs to wait until she is an adult before fighting evil??? Not much of a Galactic Guardian.....

I'd say it's more like the bombs were dropped in 1945 and the American cut of Godzilla happened around 1956... which was also spawned from the radiation of a nuclear blast like BOB.  It's not hard to imagine a ten year old David Lynch being influenced by the metaphor of a karmic monster unleashed by mankind's arrogance and stupidity.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

The scene with the ghost soot people dancing around Evil Cooper? At some point during the blood smearing ritual, BOB appeared in the scrum. The scene was too dark for me tell whether it was just his head or his whole body. He was kinda crammed down by Cooper's stomach. 

And maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Evil Cooper shot in the same area of the body as Dale Cooper back in room 315 at the Great Northern? Even while he lie in the woods, it reminded me of Dale lying on the floor of his hotel room. And I think Dale spent a good amount of time in the Black Lodge bleeding from his gunshot wound, even though it had healed. Is it future or is it past?

I hooted and hollered when I saw Bob...then doubted myself, and rewound 25 times. 

And yes, it reminded me of Cooper on the floor too. And during that scene with the sooty people, I kept thinking Bad Coop's black and white outfit had turned back into Good Cooper suit. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

I also loved the nattily dressed gentleman on stage who introduced them as "THE Nine Inch Nails".

Haha, the credits had the "The" in quotations marks!

I thought the frog-bug was cute.

Edited by TattleTeeny
(edited)

Trivialest of trivialities: This episode had so many long dark scenes, the "Showtime" badge, white in rh corner, was really distracting.  

Showtime, god bless you for supporting this kind of risky programming, but please go all the way, at least for one episode, and remove your badge!  (Hell, give it to Dougie, who likes badges.)

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Trivialest of trivialities: This episode had so many long dark scenes, the "Showtime" badge, white in rh corner, was really distracting.  

Showtime, god bless you for supporting this kind of risky programming, but please go all the way, at least for one episode, and remove your badge!  (Hell, give it to Dougie, who likes badges.)

Isn't that how they sell blurays?

It's us who are supposed to do the supporting.

Edited by Sentient Meat
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Sentient Meat said:

Isn't that how they sell blurays?

It's us who are supposed to do the supporting.

I'm subscribing to Showtime, so I am supporting it.  Showtime supported it by financing it.  Support is a flexible word!

Anyway, Showtime should remove the damn badge.  HBO doesn't slather its badge on everything.

On to less trivial matters:

Since we have two weeks until the next episode airs, we have time to sort out the Peaks' mythology, right?  Gang?!?

Let's start small:  What is the man-sized bell-shaped thing that appeared in the room with ???? and Señorita Dido, and that also was on top of E3's mauve room when skin-eyed lady fell into space?  ETA: The thing seemed to be on multiple floors in the White Lodge (that is the White Lodge, right?), the theatre with ???? and Dido.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

I'm subscribing to Showtime, so I am supporting it.  Showtime supported it by financing it.  Support is a flexible word!

Anyway, Showtime should remove the damn badge.  HBO doesn't slather its badge on everything.

I didn't mean to imply that you weren't... I was more making a general comment that ever since the piracy era began... studios and networks have become much more averse to this type of programming.  There's a reason why there are so many reboots and comic book franchises... it's because there are already firmly established audiences for those products who are proven to pay enough to offset any losses from piracy.  They would have never greenlit this show if there wasn't the built in audience, and it's tragic to me that we no longer support artists like Lynch because there no longer is the safety net of revenue from home video.

10 hours ago, jsbt said:

I didn't even think it might have been Club Silencio. That would be brilliant.

Fun fact:  The Club Silencio singer had a long-term temp job in my department and she would operatically sing "Happy Birthday" to whoever was having one.  Strange good times.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Magoo said:

Fun fact:  The Club Silencio singer had a long-term temp job in my department and she would operatically sing "Happy Birthday" to whoever was having one.  Strange good times.

You mean Rebekah Del Rio?

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Sentient Meat said:

I didn't mean to imply that you weren't... I was more making a general comment that ever since the piracy era began... studios and networks have become much more averse to this type of programming.  There's a reason why there are so many reboots and comic book franchises... it's because there are already firmly established audiences for those products who are proven to pay enough to offset any losses from piracy.  They would have never greenlit this show if there wasn't the built in audience, and it's tragic to me that we no longer support artists like Lynch because there no longer is the safety net of revenue from home video.

This is a different topic from the badge.  :)  

I'm disposed to agree with some of this, but then I notice that we have EIGHTEEN HOURS OF UNADULTERATED DAVID LYNCH on our HD TV screens.  Maybe this is the exception that proves your rule, but my own impression is that, if you include the small screen, there's more interesting visual stories easily accessible now than there was in, say, prevideo 1977, just before pirating began. 

(Now returning you to our regularly-scheduled 1956 radio broadcast featuring charred Abe Lincoln and his soothing scalp massages...)

5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Yes.

Wow.   

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

This is a different topic from the badge.  :)  

I'm disposed to agree with some of this, but then I notice that we have NINETEEN HOURS OF UNADULTERATED DAVID LYNCH on our HD TV screens.  Maybe this is the exception that proves your rule, but my own impression is that, if you include the small screen, there's more interesting visual stories easily accessible than there was in, say, prevideo 1977.

(Now returning you to regularly scheduled 1956 radio broadcast featuring charred Abe Lincoln and his soothing scalp massages...)

It's no mere coincidence that you mention 1977... because that was the year Star Wars showed the studios what a blockbuster could be, and it completely destroyed the paradigm that was the Easy Riders Raging Bulls era of cinema.  

• Love 1

For posterity, here's what Charred Abe Lincoln kept repeating:

This is the water and this is the well.

Drink full and descend.

The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, jsbt said:

mean, I think so too but they've always denied it, AFAIK. I can't lay hands on the quotes, though.

Allegedly Lynch also denied it in his old chatroom.

Hm. I did find that chatroom quote but I find his denial disingenuous. I mean, our eyes cannot be seeing people who aren't there -- and Sheryl Lee is sitting right there.

There was a messageboard poster who claimed he had asked Sheryl Lee, point blank, if it was her and she seemed caught off guard by the question though, and, from what he wrote, didn't appear like she outright denied it. And while she isn't credited on the film, Augustine was. 

Weird. 

laura1blowup.jpg

Edited by Guest
  16 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

The scene with the ghost soot people dancing around Evil Cooper? At some point during the blood smearing ritual, BOB appeared in the scrum. The scene was too dark for me tell whether it was just his head or his whole body. He was kinda crammed down by Cooper's stomach. 

And maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Evil Cooper shot in the same area of the body as Dale Cooper back in room 315 at the Great Northern? Even while he lie in the woods, it reminded me of Dale lying on the floor of his hotel room. And I think Dale spent a good amount of time in the Black Lodge bleeding from his gunshot wound, even though it had healed. Is it future or is it past?

I hooted and hollered when I saw Bob...then doubted myself, and rewound 25 times. 

And yes, it reminded me of Cooper on the floor too. And during that scene with the sooty people, I kept thinking Bad Coop's black and white outfit had turned back into Good Cooper suit. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

I also loved the nattily dressed gentleman on stage who introduced them as "THE Nine Inch Nails".

Haha, the credits had the "The" in quotations marks!

I thought the frog-bug was cute.

I agreet - I swear there is a second where it does turn into good Cooper's suit towards the end and then when he is by himself it was back to bad Coop. Because I was like oh god they killed good coop and not bad coop is in dougie.

• Love 1

I'm going to have to rewatch, but at some point the "bongs" from the alarm began to sound like "bob, bob, bob" to me.

I am in a state of awe and confusion. I think I have some awareness of what I'm seeing and where it might be going.  And then again?  I think I know nothing. 

There was a fly on my TV screen during the 1945 scenes, and I had to pause the TV to figure out if it really there or just part of the show. Because Twin Peaks.

I am so glad I have all of you to explain what the heck seems to be going on, because I would never get all this on my own. The "Interdimensional Homeless Cannibal Bitches" TM Dan were definitely creepy. And ever since Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, I cannot watch bugs crawling in or out of people. Yuck.

• Love 2

That was really......affecting.  It was strange and disturbing and weird.  And although I find it thought provoking and am having clear visceral reactions to it, I don't really want to ever watch it again.

The creepy crawly bug/frog abomination is proof that there is a CGI budget for Twin Peaks, so now we know for sure that David Lynch walked into the effects lab during the initial renderings of The Arm and was like, "yeah, that's perfect" and the CGI guys were like "uhhhhhh, we just started, we're not done yet, this thing looks like a terrible art project made by a third grader" and David Lynch just smiled crazily and said "Exactly."

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

The creepy crawly bug/frog abomination is proof that there is a CGI budget for Twin Peaks, so now we know for sure that David Lynch walked into the effects lab during the initial renderings of The Arm and was like, "yeah, that's perfect" and the CGI guys were like "uhhhhhh, we just started, we're not done yet, this thing looks like a terrible art project made by a third grader" and David Lynch just smiled crazily and said "Exactly."

Yup.  Also note that the nuclear detonation--that long slow push-in without cutting--was CGI.  

Said before, will be said again:  Kudos to Showtime for greenlighting this and giving Lynch his budget.

• Love 6

Did anyone get any de ja' vu from the final few scenes (the  diner, girl sitting on the bed near the window,)  it made me think of Season one for some reason  but  black and white.  I think I liked it :)  I'm a bit confused, but i'm on one helluva ride!!!  Soot guys are creepy as hell, and I wouldn't give scary soot lumberjack a light!  I'd run the F*** away from him!

12 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Thank you. As did I. Sooo, David Lynch wants to be 1982 Phillip Glass? WTF. I could understand if this was what I tuned in for or went to a concert to see, but it wasn't. Just more over-the-top Lynchian vanity crap he pulled out of his ass and threw against the wall to see what sticks. I gave up after about 15 mins of the late night re-showing, found it On Demand (already!) and fast forwarded through about 90%. NOTE: I love Koyaanisqatsi and still mourn the cancellation of Carnivàle. Although, for the latter I have learned from TP:TR, be careful what you wish for cuz you might just get it!

100%. I loved both Koyannisqati and Carnivàle, too. Koyannisaqati was brilliant in using repetition and a certain ironically hypnotically tediousness that was mesmerizing. At least 50% of this episode was just tedious. I fast-forwarded a lot, too, after I realized there was no building to anything. I remember making films back in the 60s with a friend's dad's Super 8 camera. They were a lot like this.

And, yeah, the atom bomb??? Clichéed to the max.

I'll stay with it. But just because I want to see GoodCoop finally emerge.

• Love 4

Everyone has different tastes.  I prefer a more straightforward line of storytelling.  Gossamer dreams just don’t really do it for me, especially considering I usually have wine while watching and don’t care to have to think too deeply, although I’m impressed that people seem to understand what is going on. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Fable said:

Everyone has different tastes. 

Indeed. Always important to keep in mind.

47 minutes ago, Fable said:

I prefer a more straightforward line of storytelling.  Gossamer dreams just don’t really do it for me

Hm. Twin Peaks specifically, and David Lynch works generally (The Straight Story excepted), may not be to your taste.  

Lynch uses surrealistic dream logic to work on our subconscious to explain what is difficult to understand in real human life:  Why would a father rape his teenage daughter?  Why would we create a single bomb that can kill hundreds of thousands of people, poison the landscape, and pervert generations through their DNA?  Why do self-destructive drugs appeal to some of us?  Why do we think we can exploit another person?    

The psychologist proposes hypotheses, as does the sociologist.  

And so does the artist.  

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Hm. I did find that chatroom quote but I find his denial disingenuous. I mean, our eyes cannot be seeing people who aren't there -- and Sheryl Lee is sitting right there.

There was a messageboard poster who claimed he had asked Sheryl Lee, point blank, if it was her and she seemed caught off guard by the question though, and, from what he wrote, didn't appear like she outright denied it. And while she isn't credited on the film, Augustine was. 

Weird. 

laura1blowup.jpg

I can sort of see the resemblance and sort of can't...I'm glad to know if Phoebe Augustine was credited because that definitely looked like her to me. 

If it was Sheryl, then putting them in a movie with Betty and Rita makes me happy, as Ronette and Laura was the only one of Laura's many many unhealthy relationships that I felt a strong emotional pull to (well there's also Bobby/Laura but that's more because of how completely fucked up it was), and I'd like to believe Lynch felt the same way...

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think someone just put Augustine's name on the IMDB cast list, I'm not sure she's in the actual credits. IMDB is not a reliable source. If she is in the actual credits then who knows.

Edited by jsbt
On 6/25/2017 at 9:53 PM, djsunyc said:

this was the origin story for the lodges in our world along with the birth of bob and laura.

long story short

- nuclear bomb was the reason the black lodge spirits were able to enter our world.  

- the white mother thing spit out bob

- the giant (or maybe god) sees this as he oversees everything (maybe just our world) and created laura to combat bob and the evil spirits

the bug could either be bob or laura that entered the little girl.

Which I got, but the way Lynch presented it was so ... unnecessary. There are a million other ways to deliver that story. What we saw was just... excessive. The funny thing is, a friend who dug it and watched before me raved about how good it was. With no knowledge of what was shown, I replied it would probably be like Altered States and William Hurt devolving and crawling down the hallway. Low and behold ...

• Love 1

OK, I watched it again.  This time I turned the lights off and was able to see the screen better.  I think perhaps that is the way Lynch may have intended one to view it; it gives the viewer the feel (or at least me) the feeling of being in a theatre.

I read a fascinating review in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/arts/television/twin-peaks-season-3-episode-8-recap.html?_r=www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/arts/television/twin-peaks-season-3-episode-8-recap.html?_r=0

Also, the responses from readers are interesting as well.

A couple of "am I making too much of this?" observations:

Did anyone else notice that the outside of the Lodge looks like a 3 Mile Island reactor next to a giant bullet?

That the "tube" the golden ball with Laura's face on it enters on its way to earth resembles a Fallopian tube?

Is the area where "The" Woodsman wreaks havoc Twin Peaks?  I thought it was a town in New Mexico somewhere.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the young couple aren't the Palmers; they could move to Twin Peaks when they grow up.  I'm just sayin' ...

And, finally, I don't know whether David Lynch is into this kind of stuff, but the atomic blast and the big bell can equal "atomic bell", which is an actual term in physics.  Following the suggestion of a NY Times reader, I googled "physics + atomic bell" and got stuff talking about quantum entanglement and reactions of atoms in a cavity and all the rest.  I tried to read some of this stuff and my brain went and hid in a corner, whimpering.

Perhaps someone who is more attuned to this type of stuff can explain it. 

And finally, because I wanted to know, the mythology of horses from a Jungian point of view:
http://www.horsensei.com/publications/MythologyofHorses/index.html

Because, well, why not? 

• Love 5

Since the new series started, i've been wanting to make a post along the lines of "So there's Cooper's Doppelganger(s), Mike, Giant/???, Arm, BOB, ... but the Black Lodge denizen i really want to see is Jimmy Cliff - just where is HIS Doppelganger and what is he doing?"  I've held off since Scott himself passed away several years ago.  

And yet - here the host announcing (The)NIN seemed so much like a Jimmy Scott Doppelganger.  I'm happy.

• Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, jsbt said:

I think some people have already claimed the Giant's lair/White Lodge?? (who knows?) scenes tonight were filmed there - I don't know if that was it, but it looked like it. I knew they filmed at that location for this show.

What's interesting is that so much of tonight has roots in the lore that's been circulating for years about the early drafts of FWWM, which did feature sequences set in the 1950s in which the Lodge beings were shown to arrive in our world or dimension. I had a feeling we'd see that explored here somehow. I just don't know quite what to make of it all yet. The Secret History does make it clear the "spirits" in the woods in Twin Peaks have been there centuries - maybe what emerged in the '40s was some of the other creatures, or maybe the nuclear tests changed the nature of their contact and our interaction.

I do think the "mother" banging on the door in part 3 was the same creature seen vomiting up BOB and other eggs tonight, as well as the creature who killed Sam and Tracey in the box in the premiere. The woman with the Giant was credited as "Senorita Dido", played by Joy Nash.

I do think that the creepy bums revived DoppleCoop, but I think they also removed BOB. That's what he seemed put out by, IMO.

Yeah, I realized it couldn't be the origin of the black and white lodges because there were maps to them in pictograph form -- presumably drawn by Native Americans. They're Native American legends. It is definitely the origin of Bob, maybe of possession by the lodge spirits, with that mutant thing crawling into the girl's mouth.

I loved the giant transformers-type things (not THOSE transformers, electrical transformers) in the (possibly) white lodge. The big black cone things. It's all about energy/electricity, which is how the lodge spirits travel.

Gordon has a giant mushroom cloud picture behind his desk. Now I see why -- it's  connected to the story at large.

Found telephone pole black bell thngs from the 40s...Lineman.png

Ignore the death star planet, loo, at the black things on the pole. Here's another one.

xlineman-old-pic-240x240.jpg.pagespeed.i

Edited by Andromeda
Forgot to mention...
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Penman61 said:

On to less trivial matters:

Since we have two weeks until the next episode airs, we have time to sort out the Peaks' mythology, right?  Gang?!?

Let's start small:  What is the man-sized bell-shaped thing that appeared in the room with ???? and Señorita Dido, and that also was on top of E3's mauve room when skin-eyed lady fell into space?  ETA: The thing seemed to be on multiple floors in the White Lodge (that is the White Lodge, right?), the theatre with ???? and Dido.

I think it's electrical. Didn't the first one have transformers sticking out the top? Reminds me of the things atop telephone poles. 

I think Lynch is deliberately using dated-appearing special effects, sets and wardrobe,  so it all fits with the old TP.  The clothing and offices  (especially the insurance office and what the ugly brown suits his coworkers and the cops wear) look 90s-ish to me. So does Dougie's house.

Edited by Andromeda