Type keyword(s) to search

Alaskan Bush People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

While I'm thinking of it, did they ever show what happened to the Integrity?  I think I had read somewhere that the real owners were taking it back, but did they ever explain it on the show?

Are we supposed to believe Billy sailed it from Alaska to southern California, then traded it in for an SUV?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, brgjoe said:

Seems to be working fine this time, RO. 

Even with Ami's dire diagnosis, I still don't see why they couldn't have gone to a clinic that was hella closer to Browntown than this place.  Heck, even the Mayo Clinic is closer.  Seems to me they (if this was even close to a legit show) could have still found a place that had a decent hospital/clinic that still was close to wide open sparsely inhabited "bush" areas for them to set up Browntown II.  Heck, they probably didn't even have to leave Alaska to do that.  So still don't know why they had to go all the way to SoCal for this.  (unless it's just close to Disco headquarters and they wanted to save some production II).

Yep, working now @realityobserver.  I enjoy your blogs, so I'm glad you got it opened up for us mere mortals who don't belong to the blog club.  Regarding the blurred out stuffed animal, it's probably a Care Bear (or some other copyrighted brand), and they don't have permission for the trademark to be shown on TV.  I've seen that happen on t-shirts on some shows, so I suspect it's something similar.  They may not have realized until editing that the bear was a no-no.

@brgjoe:  I participate in a FB page (NOT a fan page) about ABP.  Someone posted yesterday that the house in SoCal where the Browns are is 5 houses down from her aunt.  Auntie says that the Browns are there for several months every winter, and may even own the place.  So they are at a medical facility near their winter home.  (For folks like me, our winter home doubles as our summer home.)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The link wants me to log into Wordpress.  Haven't got an account there.

My thought:  If Bam came back, they either offered him more money than he was getting before, or Ami is really sick.

My thought is Bam came back because Ami is very sick.  Did anyone notice that he said, came as soon as WE got the call?  He really seemed to be very upset.  He is the voice of reason concerning her health.  I really liked seeing Bam and the talk he had with Billy. Chances are greater that she will die than survive.  They do need to prepare for the fact that she may not survive.  Bird really needs to face the reality of the situation.  It is hard, I know that for a fact.  

As for them being in Ca, I wonder if they are not there because previous actions did not help and they are there for more of the "experimental" (really can't think of the proper word) type of help.  Could be many reasons why they chose UCLA medical.  I think that they might have already had an idea based upon her health issues last "season".  She saw doctors then and it would seem that they would have been very thorough with their exams on her.  Remember, she has also said she distrust doctors and conventional medicines.  

I have always hated their fake accents and it is past time to drop it.  

Noah and all the bullshit with him.  We know he hasn't been staying there.  Look at all the weight he has packed on.  He has nothing on Santa Claus for a belly.

It looks like Discovery is going to try to say that Matt's accident happened at Browntown and not in Hoonah.  I base that on the previews and Noah's remark as he was leaving.  Everyone knows that the accident happened in Matt's apt and Discovery was not filming.  Can't blame Bam for not wanting to be a part of this farce any longer.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Someone posted yesterday that the house in SoCal where the Browns are is 5 houses down from her aunt.  Auntie says that the Browns are there for several months every winter, and may even own the place. 

Where's the house at?  Seems like Ventura or somewhere NW of LA?  But the show often shows photographs of the Owen Valley/395, which is hours away from LA.

54 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

Rumors of ABP and the show... read here

That was interesting - seems that nobody knows for sure where Matt's accident was.  Guess we'll have to see next week - is it an obvious fake re-enactment, a very well acted re-enactment or a "this actually happened in B-Town" event?

Also from that sites recap of this weeks episode, might be the funniest thing I've read this month (credit to Reality Observer):   In SoCal, the Snowball is out loose in the street making ridiculous noises and trying to attract a peacock that the producers have set down in the vicinity. The peacock comes close and eats some food that Snowflake has set out. Two birdbrains in one scene. The production staff chases the peacock down and returns it to the trainer who rented it out to Discovery.

As for the episode - DVR has its benefits, anything with Noah got a FF except when Matt came and gave him the news and some of the cleanup stuff.  Why did Matt have to wear a suit to make his way back into the bush?  Amy's sickness is real so if we assume that the kids reactions are also real Bird's seems the most worrisome, she may come out of denial but if she doesn't that's going to be a huge problem emotionally if the worst happens.  

• Love 3

I really wish they would have shown us Bam's wife (or fiance, or whatever she is).  Why hide her?  He left to supposedly find a wife, why not give us an update on his efforts, just for the sake of the storyline.

I see Bam jumped right back into his old role of "Respect the danger", with his "This is really serious, everyone should prepare for the worst" messages.

I don't know if Bird is in denial or just trying to be positive.  Maybe a bit of both.

I have a feeling that if things get worse with Ami, they're not going to want to film those bits.  It's been quite a change of mood this season.

They keep talking about how the Browns lived "wild" for 30 years, but this is the first time they've had any kind of permanent structure.  So where they heck did they live for 30 years, in a tent?  30 years in a trapper shack?  Makes no sense.  I could believe they lived on a boat part of the time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

They keep talking about how the Browns lived "wild" for 30 years, but this is the first time they've had any kind of permanent structure.  So where they heck did they live for 30 years, in a tent?  30 years in a trapper shack?  Makes no sense.  I could believe they lived on a boat part of the time.

"They" are lying.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

"They" are lying.

Granted, but I'd like some more details on just what kind of "lie" they are telling.  I'd be curious what Billy's book (One Wave at a Time) says.  I find it very surprising that book is still out of print.  I mean I'm sure the book stinks, but you'd think with the TV show, they would at least offer it for a digital download or something.  Or maybe the book contradicts the TV show, and that's why they don't want it out there?

• Love 2

There are lots of details on this website and others if you read back through the threads.  I've been to Hoonah twice and spoken to locals who confirm much of what is in this article.  These people who "live wild" walk around town with iPhones, Apple watches, etc.  In this article, there's a link to a youtube with Gabe who talks about how they just left the bush for the first time and saw their first traffic jam.  But it points out that while they're on their upcoming journey, they'll be posting regular youtube reports.  Yep, they don't know nuthin' 'bout no technical stuff.  

This is a family of con artists.  I wouldn't believe a word they said, even if their tongues were notarized.

• Love 4

I was thinking about them living in SoCal and visiting Hawaii and I wish I could find a link to the video but I remember a couple of years ago one of the guys (I'm 75% certain it was Bear) talked about being so acclimated to that Alaskan climate that they're heat intolerant and he claimed when they went to the big city once and it was something like 65 degrees out he almost fainted from heat stroke because he was just soooo not used to anything but icy cold frozen.

Anyone else remember that or, better, have a link to the episode?  Just thinking about how it sounded so good then, so in line with the families story; we're so extreme we actually thrive in arctic temperatures.  And suddenly a year or so later they're magically able to tolerate the heat not only for multiple Hawaii and lower 48 vacations but for living in the SoCal area with nothing but a jury-rigged garden house for cooling.

Why did No-Duh suddenly have to say and "take care" of Slumtown?  They left the place before unattended when Daddy and Bum had to do their monitored time in a hotel.....and they left several other times and had Kenny take care of the pets and crap.  Suddenly someone needs to stay behind?  Also, when No-Duh and Mutt were playing that stupid action game outside .... did you see No-Duh jump and make a spinning karate movement?  Thought he had a bad leg/knee?  BS on all of this

• Love 4

I have not been on this site in a longgggg time.  Can not add more than what has been posted already about this crazy ass family.  My guess as to why they went to Calif. for Ami's treatment is for insurance purposes. They are not Alaska residences and live in Calif. most of the time so maybe their health insurance will only cover doctors/hospitals in Calif.  She has a battle with stage three lung cancer.

Hey AZ how are you doing ?

35 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

I have not been on this site in a longgggg time.  Can not add more than what has been posted already about this crazy ass family.  My guess as to why they went to Calif. for Ami's treatment is for insurance purposes. They are not Alaska residences and live in Calif. most of the time so maybe their health insurance will only cover doctors/hospitals in Calif.  She has a battle with stage three lung cancer.

Hey AZ how are you doing ?

Most decent health insurance plans will cover you all over the USA.  So if you're away from home and have a health crisis, you still have coverage.  Of course, the likelihood of them having decent insurance isn't high.  I saw an article that the liability insurance company covering Park Slope cancelled the policy because these yahoos are too high risk.  Now THAT makes sense.

And I'm doing fine for an old lady.  How are you?

12 minutes ago, clod said:

they might have screen actors guild insurance

I've read elsewhere that reality "stars" are not usually members of SAG.  Further research shows that if the production company is a SAG-signatory, participants in their shows may qualify for the union benefits (including insurance, I assume).  As far as I can tell, ABP is not eligible.  

(edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 11:29 AM, AZChristian said:

There are lots of details on this website and others if you read back through the threads.  I've been to Hoonah twice and spoken to locals who confirm much of what is in this article.  These people who "live wild" walk around town with iPhones, Apple watches, etc.

I think you're misunderstanding my question.  I'm not asking where the Browns have really lived for the past 30 years (although that is an interesting question also).  According to their self crafted lie/myth/legend/whatever, they've lived "wild" for 30 years, yet they've never had a permanent structure.  So where have they been supposedly staying for the past 30 years?  In a tent?  I know they've talked about how they used to live on a boat (which I could believe, actually).

On 6/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, gigiann said:

Also, when No-Duh and Mutt were playing that stupid action game outside .... did you see No-Duh jump and make a spinning karate movement?  Thought he had a bad leg/knee?  BS on all of this

He probably figures Matt is not going to demand any work of him, so no need to keep up the pretense.  I have a picture in my head of him chucking his cane as soon as everyone else leaves, and breaking into a tap dance.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I know they've talked about how they used to live on a boat (which I could believe, actually).

They did kind of live on a boat before the (ironically named) Integrity.  It sank (I think in the first season of the show).  That was one of the times when the "lost everything."  Then they ended up living in Ketchikan for a bit.  No-duh even posted a picture of himself and the blushing bride with the Brown clan's Ketchikan house in the background.  Kind of killed that lie, didn't it?

9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Most decent health insurance plans will cover you all over the USA.  So if you're away from home and have a health crisis, you still have coverage.  Of course, the likelihood of them having decent insurance isn't high.  I saw an article that the liability insurance company covering Park Slope cancelled the policy because these yahoos are too high risk.  Now THAT makes sense.

'Not trying to be argumentative, AZ, but I have decent ins and was recently told by them that I couldn't cross state lines for medical treatment unless I wanted to pay out of pocket. BUT if I'm in, say NYC  or LA and fall down the stairs or something, I'd be covered as an emergency patient--at a greatly reduced rate from my regular coverage.

It varies widely and the Browns may well have been caught in something like that. Just BTW, a few years ago a friend's mother was battling ovarian cancer (a fight she ended up losing) and was informed by her daughter that chemo cost (at that time) $10,000 for each round. Clearly not what most people's piggy banks can cover.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Beden said:

'Not trying to be argumentative, AZ, but I have decent ins and was recently told by them that I couldn't cross state lines for medical treatment unless I wanted to pay out of pocket. BUT if I'm in, say NYC  or LA and fall down the stairs or something, I'd be covered as an emergency patient--at a greatly reduced rate from my regular coverage.

It varies widely and the Browns may well have been caught in something like that. Just BTW, a few years ago a friend's mother was battling ovarian cancer (a fight she ended up losing) and was informed by her daughter that chemo cost (at that time) $10,000 for each round. Clearly not what most people's piggy banks can cover.

Interesting.  I just checked my coverage.  My insurance covers 90% on most stuff (even non-emergencies) within our area, and 80% of the same stuff "out of area."  Because we are BC/BS Arizona, I'm assuming our "area" is AZ.  It's a bit of a moot point, as our primary insurance is through Medicare, and the BS/BS is just secondary.  Ami is too young for Medicare, but maybe they are on Medi-Cal because they are poor, low-income bush people.  Yeah, right.

5 hours ago, Beden said:

Just BTW, a few years ago a friend's mother was battling ovarian cancer (a fight she ended up losing) and was informed by her daughter that chemo cost (at that time) $10,000 for each round. Clearly not what most people's piggy banks can cover.

My first bill covered the surgery to install the port and my initial round of chemo (4 days of round the clock chemo in a hospital).  It was $57,000, but negotiated down to 25,000 by bc/bs.  We have high deductible,  low cost insurance,  so we paid about $12,000 over 6 months and bc/bs paid everything else. $10,000 per round is about what mine was. It's so expensive that the pharmacist won't start compounding it until a nurse verifies that you are physically there. It usually took 4 to 5 hours after I arrived to get my first bag.

I am so sorry for what Ami is going through. Even if they are well off from disco payments,  the financial and emotional costs will both be high.

I didn't mean to take the convo off topic but I have to say I'm looking forward to qualifying for Medicare in about a year as I hit age and my crap knee needs to be replaced. And yes, already plan on secondary ins. My dad had Medicare + Tricare (military ins; he was a colonel & WW2 vet) as a secondary. Aging and ill he racked up several month long hospital stays, the bill for just one coming in at roughly $250,000. Because ha had medicare + his military secondary (thank god) our out of pocket was--no lie--$23 and change.

I won't get into an OT political convo but, seriously, Health Insurance; major important.

JMO, of course.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2017 at 10:30 PM, AZChristian said:

Most decent health insurance plans will cover you all over the USA.

I have pretty good insurance but will only get emergency care outside of my state and even with that the copay will be more than tripled.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:40 AM, Beden said:

I agree with this.

Just wanted to say that every time I see pics of the boys I am shocked at how tiny they are.

(edited)

I don't know if the insurance angle is true or not, but it would not surprise me.

bear tearing up camera crew trailer

people "facing off" bears with their shotguns/rifles.

livestock would probably bring more bears.

dropping the windmill pole

near-missing someone's head when dropping a generator part from higher on that pole.  ( got hardhat? )

tumbling down a hillside with presumed-loaded rifle.   yup.   YUP.

got "more"  ?         ;)

On 7/1/2017 at 1:17 PM, Beden said:

Medicare + Tricare

my Tricare kicks in late next year.     yah!

Edited by clod

Clod, darlin'--I made sure to pay Tricare's premiums the day they arrived in the mail. Quarterly, as I recall. And gratefully. I also add that Dad earned every penny they generated and then some...as do just about everyone who serves with honor.

And now, back to the snark!

Yes, the entire Brown family seem small physically. Not that it really matters but, as a statuesque solid 5 foot nothing myself. I'd be slightly curious as to how tiny they actually are.

• Love 1

They all say they need to eat fat to stay warm in the cold winters...maybe Ami had a few tasty suet recipes to go with the deer bit?

Or maybe they simply hit the vending machines in the lodge lounge and pizza place down the street a few times too often? And--with some genuine  sympathy to Matt--alcohol is pretty damn fattening.

• Love 2
On 7/3/2017 at 4:47 AM, Beden said:

Yes, the entire Brown family seem small physically. Not that it really matters but, as a statuesque solid 5 foot nothing myself. I'd be slightly curious as to how tiny they actually are.

I've read that Extweem Bear is 5' and Matty is 5'2".  we can guess the others by comparison.  You're right, height doesn't matter but it was surprising to see how short they really are. It doesn't seem that way when watching the show but when they stand next to other non family people on the show or next to fans in pics, it's like they are hobbits.  Not meaning to offend hobbits.  Sorry Frodo.  

• Love 3

So did I see Bam wearing a wedding ring when he was talking to mom and pops on the bed? And then in the scene talking with the bird impersonator it was in a different finger? 

20 hours ago, Dennie said:

I've read that Extweem Bear is 5' and Matty is 5'2".  we can guess the others by comparison.  

Really?  They're that short?  No wonder they have trouble finding mates.  You're right, they don't look that short on TV.  Reminds me a bit of the Three Stooges, who were short, but not that short.  Those are really short heights for men, that can't be true, is it?

I asked someone who has met them (she lives in Hoonah).  She says they're all very short.  Someone else on our FB page saw them in Ketchikan.  She said Matt and Bear are really short and might weigh 110 soaking wet.  

• Love 1

I asked someone who has met them (she lives in Hoonah).  She says they're all very short.  Someone else on our FB page saw them in Ketchikan.  She said Matt and Bear are really short and might weigh 110 soaking wet.  

If true that's obviously very short--and, as mentioned , I speak from the vast height of 5'. On the other hand, I can stand upright under the overhead compartments on airplanes and leg room is rarely an issue. My great uncle was denied entry into the US army during WW1 when he tried to volunteer as a dough boy;  he was under the minimum height and deemed too small to carry a field pack. It was foolish--he was smart and could have done a hundred things other than fight in the field--medic? Clerk? It was a waste of a good man. (And I apologize for yet another OT ramble...I'll try to be good...)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Beden said:

If true that's obviously very short--and, as mentioned , I speak from the vast height of 5'. On the other hand, I can stand upright under the overhead compartments on airplanes and leg room is rarely an issue. My great uncle was denied entry into the US army during WW1 when he tried to volunteer as a dough boy;  he was under the minimum height and deemed too small to carry a field pack. It was foolish--he was smart and could have done a hundred things other than fight in the field--medic? Clerk? It was a waste of a good man. (And I apologize for yet another OT ramble...I'll try to be good...)

Lots of folks don't realize that one of the most decorated soldiers of all time was originally rejected from the Navy, Marines and Army for being underweight and too young. Story goes he eventually got into the Army by getting a sister to lie about his age - but was still rejected when he tried to go Airborne for being to small. So, Audie Murphy ended up going into the Infantry - where his puny stature didn't stop him from being awarded pretty much every award for heroism the Army has, plus top awards from various Allied Nations.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Lots of folks don't realize that one of the most decorated soldiers of all time was originally rejected from the Navy, Marines and Army for being underweight and too young. Story goes he eventually got into the Army by getting a sister to lie about his age - but was still rejected when he tried to go Airborne for being to small. So, Audie Murphy ended up going into the Infantry - where his puny stature didn't stop him from being awarded pretty much every award for heroism the Army has, plus top awards from various Allied Nations.

To Hell and Back was the name of the movie. Highly recommended. Audie Murphy ended up  playing  himself, and still looked quite young some 12+ years after the fact.

• Love 1
(edited)

This whole thing about Ami shouldn't be shown.  It's horrible seeing someone facing what will most likely be the end of their life on this stupid tv show.  It's too personal.  The kids should be allowed to grieve freely rather than perform for the cameras.  Amy should be allowed to rest in non-public comfort and spend what will most likely be her last days with her family uninterrupted by cameras and film crew.  This is the end of someone's life we're talking about, not a storyline to boost ratings.  This is a tender, vulnerable, and terrifying time for anyone to face.  If the family agreed to this, that's just sick.  Who the fuck would agree to filming their mom/wife dying?  If it's because of a contract, that's even worse.

It's just wrong on so many levels.

Edited by Sup wit dat
  • Love 6

I was a little put off by the Cancer Treatment Center of America commercials on a show about someone who is reported to have Stage 3 lung cancer. Surely even TCL isn't going to script a miracle cure. 

After watching this episode, I've begun to suspect that the kids were home schooled because there wasn't a big enough short bus for all of them.

Excellent review once again, realityobserver!  Once again, you pretty much encapsulated all my feelings in that post of yours.

I'll just add this.  In the (one of many) flashbacks tonight, the narrator was saying something like, "Due to the Browns well rounded education, Matt shows us how he builds his house.."  That just made me laugh out loud.  Yes, it takes such a "well rounded education" to know that you can actually stack old tires on top of one another!  Brilliant!  More like a LACK of a well rounded educated background for these idiots.

Looks like next week we get....EVEN MOAR FLASHBACKS!  Awesome.

• Love 1

Props to realityobserver for another great recap! 

I think we've finally reached the point of Discovery not knowing what to do about the situation. They played too fast and lose previous seasons (Billy driving after the "seizure", them pleading to the fraud, etc etc) and it's catching up to them. No matter what happens to Ami, Discovery is up sh*t creek with this.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, rmontro said:

Really?  They're that short?  No wonder they have trouble finding mates.  You're right, they don't look that short on TV.  Reminds me a bit of the Three Stooges, who were short, but not that short.  Those are really short heights for men, that can't be true, is it?

They are always filmed together and rarely with others.  I have noticed that if they are with others the camera goes back and forth from a man to one of the Browns.  They have used garbage hills or dirt hills or uneven ground to fool us.

25 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

After watching this episode, I've begun to suspect that the kids were home schooled because there wasn't a big enough short bus for all of them.

Another mouthfull of Mt. Dew over my screen.

• Love 1

Again Bill-all-about-me is spouting to Ami how the bush is the only place he's felt he belongs.  He's never fit in anywhere except the bush. My whole life is the bush. I am the bush whisperer. Ya lets just make ami feel even more like crap and insinuate that she is responsible for Billy having to move and ruining his bush belonging life. 

Can someone please get ami out of that bed. I believe when someone is ill but can still get up and around, they should. Even if it's laying on the couch, sitting outside....not just to go to the doctor or the bathroom.  I realize she is very sick however it does not help the fight if she is constantly laying in bed cradling a flower over her chest. 

More rolling on the ground and climbing trees from Care Bear.  What a surprise. 

• Love 1

Okay, I admit it. I was reading a book while last night's ep played. Every time I looked up it was yet another flashback. Five minutes later, another flashback. At about the 10-15 minute mark I bailed, went to bed to read in peace.

It seems I didn't miss anything. I wonder if the endless flashbacks (to be continued next week, evidently) may be marking time due to lack of new footage--likely because of Ami's illness. Most hospitals and drs wouldn't be okay with a film crew haunting the halls and waiting rooms, disturbing the staff, other patients and families. And the Brown's antics--rolling around on the lawns and sitting on the floors of the hallways wouldn't be welcomed, either. The hospitals I've been in are, y'know, more concerned about, well--making sick and injured people better and stuff like that.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Dennie said:

Can someone please get ami out of that bed. I believe when someone is ill but can still get up and around, they should. Even if it's laying on the couch, sitting outside....not just to go to the doctor or the bathroom.  I realize she is very sick however it does not help the fight if she is constantly laying in bed cradling a flower over her chest. 

I can't figure out the house - it has to be a good size going by the outside plus all the people in it.  But (and someone correct me if my memory's off on this)............all we've seen so far is the yard, deck and room that Ami's bed is in.  Do they not want filming in the other rooms - maybe that's where they store their computers, TV, DVD player with Netflix, you know; all those electronics we've been told over and over they don't own and no nothing about.  Maybe Ami moves around the house a lot but only films scenes in that one room - but why?

Worst scene - Bear, Bird and the hot tub - I know by the time they filmed CA's drought issues were pretty much over but I can't express how annoying it was to see Bear slice open that gallon jug of water with the knife, THROW THE WATER AWAY and use the jug as a scoop.  Was that the only thing available, they have no buckets, plastic glasses, anything else?   At least pour the water in a pitcher and use it!   Real life choice or done just for the camera's - I don't care either way it was such a waste.

• Love 3