Type keyword(s) to search

Alaskan Bush People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/1/2018 at 6:05 AM, Beden said:

The above posts--both heart breaking and heart felt--show the difference between reality and reality TV.  Like most people, I've lost friends and family to various forms of cancer and it's a nightmare, both (obviously) for the victim and for the ones forced to deal and cope with the day to day and eventually often tragic resolution. And, equally horrible is the aftermath, dealing with the loss, the often enormous bills which keep coming and the forever empty place at the table, beside you in the car and the hole at the family parties which is never quite filled.

Well said Beden...Well said....

My own 2 cents - My beloved Pop died of lung cancer, never heard him complain once... He did say to me he was sorry for smoking cigs. I also have had my little cancer scare, surgery on the neck to remove a malignant tumor and then radiation therapy for 6 weeks. Pure hell. Scared me and my family to death, they were so supportive that it changed my life forever. 

Now as I sit here writing this, I am in the throes of another tumor under my arm, causing pain and immobility of my arm. Thank the sweet Lord it is benign, but again surgery is the only reasonable treatment (the meds I tried did not react with the tumor). Waiting for my two highly certified surgeons to call me and set up a schedule to remove this growth, and the chances of it coming back are 50-50... Lovely...

Billy and Discovery, and all their children, and all the cameramen and editors and producers and anyone affiliated with this show, should be ashamed of themselves and demanded to apologize to the American people for such a poorly conceived and horribly written chapter of this show. What in the hell were they thinking ?

Mom is dying in the bedroom and the idiot children are in the backyard in front of a camera acting like the idiots they are...completely unforgivable.

And now she is cured... wow, what a load of BS...

• Love 5

Thank you Reality.

I'm also--what word do I want here?--sobered and impressed by the turn this site has taken. From out and out gleeful snark (well deserved, of course) to varying levels of outrage, anger and disgust by what now appears to be a cheap and shameless scam for ratings. There are lines which should never be crossed, no matter how much money may be involved, how many job offers you may generate. I've had (friendly) debates with friends about how I firmly and maybe naively believe that ethics and morals matter, whether in our day to day lives, politics, religion, friendship or anything else. Beyond laws, they are the guidelines which keep us civil and humane.

I say good for us!

• Love 6

Back when the "cancer" was first diagnosed, some online posters tried to gently suggest that this might just be a plot line.  There was some negative feedback that we had no compassion.

We didn't want to be right; it was incomprehensible that con artists would go this far.  We didn't want Ami to die . . . we just felt that she didn't ever have cancer.  We're not celebrating that (1) we were right, or (2) she wasn't dead.  

I have been moved by the comments here of people who have lost family members . . . and to those who are currently fighting a cancer battle themselves.  @realityobserver . . . I'm praying that you are in the GOOD part of the 50/50, and that your tumor doesn't return.

One more point.  I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the idea the TLC knew about this all along.  Yes, many of their "reality" shows feature scripted plots.  But I want to think THEY were scammed by the Browns as much as we were.  I want to think that Billy knew the series was coming to an end, so he went to one of the producers on the show and said that Ami was really sick, and her medical treatment and how the "wolf pack" dealt with the concern would be something the public would find interesting.  What he didn't realize is that most of the viewers recognized that the medical scenes looked to be fake, and were probably staged because Billy said that the doctors would not appear on camera.  Many of us opined that the "hospital room" didn't look real, nor did scenes like the hallway meeting shot through windows.  But surely TLC must have started having major doubts when they took Ami on a meandering RV trip through California to their new "home" in Colorado.  And if the "kids" were out there doing their insane tricks around the California house, didn't someone at TLC think, "This is NOT normal adult behavior when one's mother has Stage 4 lung cancer."

Is there a point at which TLC would pull out and release a press release that they've been scammed, too . . . if that's a fact?  I would have a lot more respect for TLC if they did.

• Love 5

We all used to sit back and make fun of this show, acceptable behavior on our part. We watched a show, hoping to be entertained and, yes, even educated on the reality of living off the grid and in the wilds of Alaska. When we realized that we were being taken for a spin on the crazy train, we readjusted and brought out the guns to show how stupid, lame and senseless this production was and still is. I will never stop shooting holes in this show, I was fooled into believing (from their advertising) that it was going to be a somewhat sensible show, after 3 episodes I started to write WTF recaps. Ain't nothin' going to stop me now till this idiocy is permanently banned from television.

If faking cancer is acceptable, then what is next ?  And the band of viewers who actually believe these scammers makes you wonder what has this country evolved into. Is my next door neighbor sending in a donation to the Browns ?

Beden is right, from having fun to serious discussions on a TV forums page is quite the step, a scary step...

I have been thinking of writing a recap of the whole cancer season episodes, with the reaction from various FB pages and other social media sites. It would not be pretty....

@AZChristian, thanks for your comment, I'll be OK...

• Love 5

I don't deal with any other fan site aside from this one--okay, I know the old adage about 10% never getting the memo but do any of you know how the hardcore believers are dealing with this? Joy over the miraculous recovery, I'd assume, but is that all?

Anyone?

'Can't help it but scams and scam artists seriously piss me off--I was recently told my fireplace/chimney/wood stove are all about to fail, likely causing me to lose my home to fire--I triple checked--talked to the installers and another licensed chimney cleaning company--both said it was BS, all's fine and another local older woman (yes, I'm officially 'older') was told the same crap. Then when I had my car oil changed the same week I was informed that my water pump was toast but for the low-low price of $800 all would be well. Uh-huh. I went to my long time mechanic and, of course, it's fine. I mean seriously pisses me off. I may be little (5') and may be getting old but I not generally dumb. And yes, I reported the fireplace guy to the local cops--small town--they said they'd have a talk with him and filed a honest review to BBB.

Old doesn't = stupid. Don't piss off an old hippie.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Beden said:

Old doesn't = stupid. Don't piss off an old hippie.

Love it !!!   Hang in there and don't give up the fight !

The hardcore are sending prayer cards and stuffed animals I assume. They must believe everything they have seen. They also wait up for Santa and have a soft spot for the Easter Bunny. I have never met a true believer in this show, when I do, I will sell them the Brooklyn Bridge.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2018 at 6:11 AM, Beden said:

I was recently told my fireplace/chimney/wood stove are all about to fail, likely causing me to lose my home to fire

I went on a vacation in 2007, bought 4 brand new tires for the trip. Told my wife we would get an oil change on the road about halfway through our journey...  Pulled in to get the oil change after about 1700 miles of driving, no problem, they changed the oil. The cashier then informed me that I needed to replace my worn out tires and they could do it. I asked, "who said I needed the tires changed," and she said the mechanic who did the oil change. I thanked her and asked to speak to the mechanic, he came around and I asked him to show me where this wear and tear on my tires was, and this jerk actually tried to tell me that I didn't need to see the damage but needed the new tires. I said let's go to my truck and let's have a look. We went to the truck and instead of looking at the tires, I reached in the glove box and showed him the receipt for the almost brand new tires. He looked at that and still tried to sell me new tires !!! I said how about the oil change is free or I call the cops ?  Result... free oil change in 'Never-Ever-Going-Back-To-That-Hole' USA...

Probably one of the Brown cult's cousins...

Edited by realityobserver
add
  • Love 6
On 2/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, jumper sage said:

I love your description of the Christmas dinner of spaghetti and mashed potatoes.  Sounds like the perfect meal for stoners, just saying.

A lot of carbs there.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Beden said:

Has anyone heard anything regarding another season or is the jig finally up?

Shooting began this week on "Sheriff Noah of Kiowa County".

(No, just kidding, I haven't heard anything")

• Love 6
On 3/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, jerseydeviljohn said:

I am a State Trooper currently on disability due to a broken back(in 3 places). The very idea of that turd involved in Law Enforcement makes me sick.

Don't hold anything back now  :)

• Love 1

My grandfather was a cop, John--NYPD, mounted cop back in the 30's. He decided to retired after the mounted boys were called in to help with crowd control during a city riot. One of the rioters went after his horse with a broken bottle. My sweet, gentle grandfather slammed the rioter with his billy club, dropping him to protect Nick. Thinking about it later he realized that it simply wasn't for him. And, mind you, he'd been a professional boxer pre his police stint--he wasn't a wuss.

Be careful and full recovery to you. I'm a Jersey girl myself and genuinely appreciate and thank you.

BTW, Papa ended up adopting Nick when the horse was retired out, giving him a good home in the old barn.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2018 at 6:53 PM, thebigboot said:

The article says that "this has been the longest winter in the region", but it doesn't say what region.  I would think they would be talking about Colorado, but who knows with this bunch?  There's a picture of Merry Christmas Kathryn Raindrop Brown in the snow from March.  Did Colorado have a rough winter?  

6 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The article says that "this has been the longest winter in the region", but it doesn't say what region.  I would think they would be talking about Colorado, but who knows with this bunch?  There's a picture of Merry Christmas Kathryn Raindrop Brown in the snow from March.  Did Colorado have a rough winter?  

All we know for sure is that it wasn't anywhere near Alaska.  None of the Browns are anywhere near Alaska during anything but filming months.

• Love 1

Nice to see this place actively snarking once again.  So, if they are going to be in Colorado next season(?), I wonder what the show will be called.  "Colorado Bush People"?  "Alaskan Bush People: Colorado Edition"?  "Alaskan Bush People:  You all know it's fake anyway, so we don't care anymore"?

My guess is they will have at least one special, probably full of video clips once again.  Maybe another holiday show as well.  I guess we shall see...

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, clod said:

another Christmas in July show!      yeah!    because they don't know calendars and things like that.

Maybe they should all check their iPhones . . . it has a calendar function.  /sarcasm

• Love 3
20 hours ago, brgjoe said:

Nice to see this place actively snarking once again.  So, if they are going to be in Colorado next season(?), I wonder what the show will be called.  "Colorado Bush People"?  "Alaskan Bush People: Colorado Edition"?  "Alaskan Bush People:  You all know it's fake anyway, so we don't care anymore"?

My guess is that each new episode will be made up of five minutes of new footage of the family thinking about setting up their Colorado home, and the rest will be old footage of them in Alaska, which will serve to explain how they were "born wild".

• Love 4
On 5/10/2018 at 7:36 PM, rmontro said:

My guess is that each new episode will be made up of five minutes of new footage of the family thinking about setting up their Colorado home, and the rest will be old footage of them in Alaska, which will serve to explain how they were "born wild".

Flashbacks will probably be a staple in all future shows, since they still refer to themselves as Alaskan Bush People.

Why not just change the name of the show to where they are scamming now, probably because most of their true audience (the folks who actually believe this stuff) would be completely lost trying to find the new program on the 'new fangled' smart TV's and TV guides...

On 5/10/2018 at 7:36 PM, rmontro said:

So, if they are going to be in Colorado next season(?),

I keep seeing posts on the various Facebook pages and groups that the cult has now relocated to Washington State. I imagine the state of Colorado passed a law banning anyone moving there named Brown, after the ABP announced they were interested in moving to the state.

Also seeing the attempts by the family to engage other pursuits such as marriage and outside jobs, maybe that will cut onto the production of the main show...

So many things about this family flying around it is hard to keep track, and none of it has been verified at all....

MORE or less

• Love 3
12 hours ago, realityobserver said:

I keep seeing posts on the various Facebook pages and groups that the cult has now relocated to Washington State. I imagine the state of Colorado passed a law banning anyone moving there named Brown, after the ABP announced they were interested in moving to the state.

Lol, no doubt.  I imagine No-uh's threat to become a sheriff has panicked counties across the land raising their qualification standards as well,

• Love 4

Okay, so from what I gather, Ami's cancer has miraculously gone away and she's hale and hardy now. The fam are in either Colorado or Washington State doing god knows what. 2 of the boys are married (grandbabies, anyone???), living the good life, all happily ever after and supposedly the next season is filming.

Just...sigh. I'm not in Facebook (despised their nonexistent privacy policy maybe 10 years ago and refused to join, despite the pleadings and mocking of various friends) so have no access there and, frankly, can't be bothered with searching the other cult fan groups.

But, having said that--do we have an airdate? Having downgraded my cable account to save $, I may not be able to get them anymore so have to rely on my snark friends for updates.

I just peeked into Facebook and they do have a fairly recent update on their page. 

Apparently Bear had a scare with a tree branch.  He got his eye poked by it and it scratched his cornea and had to be hospitalized.  Knowing Bear it was an EXTREEEEEEEEEME branch that did that to him.

I dunno...to me it makes me believe some of these folks are as dumb in real life as they seem to be on TV.   I mean, is he still climbing trees for the hell of it?  He's at least 30 now isn't he?  Why the heck would he be doing that sort of thing still? 

Gee, I hope that doesn't delay the next season of filming.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, brgjoe said:

I just peeked into Facebook and they do have a fairly recent update on their page. 

Apparently Bear had a scare with a tree branch.  He got his eye poked by it and it scratched his cornea and had to be hospitalized.  Knowing Bear it was an EXTREEEEEEEEEME branch that did that to him.

I dunno...to me it makes me believe some of these folks are as dumb in real life as they seem to be on TV.   I mean, is he still climbing trees for the hell of it?  He's at least 30 now isn't he?  Why the heck would he be doing that sort of thing still? 

Gee, I hope that doesn't delay the next season of filming.

The Radar article mentioned that he had his 31st birthday.  Okay, people doing yard work can accidentally have a branch scratch their eye.  But have you ever seen any of these yahoos actually work at anything?  He was probably rehearsing for the show and tried to climb a tree.  I wonder what horrendous medical emergency will be the focal point of a new season . . . 

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone else see this in Bear’s instagram?  Can’t find any info on it:

Edited to add:  nvm, just another publicity stunt.  Says it’s for some home movie he’s working on.

7D358284-475D-48EC-BB60-ECAFCC453711.jpeg

Edited by Sup wit dat
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, checker said:

Season 8ish of Alaskan Bush People premieres on Discovery Channel Aug. 19

It's moving to Sundays, that seems like a strange night for it to be on.  Oh well.  

Anyone know how many episodes this season is?

And I'd just like to say:  Even though I feel manipulated and deceived, I'm glad that Ami is all right after all.  

If they continue to pad these episodes with old footage (as I fully expect them to), I'm going to be angry.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2018 at 12:38 AM, rmontro said:

It's moving to Sundays, that seems like a strange night for it to be on.  Oh well.  

Excellent call Discovery.  They're going to run 60 Minutes, Homeland, FTWD, TWD, Billions and the Affair of the screen.   The nation will be transfixes by this nature loving family braving the wilds of Alaska in NE Washington, so remote that Walmart is too far to walk.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Rock knocker said:

Excellent call Discovery.  They're going to run 60 Minutes, Homeland, FTWD, TWD, Billions and the Affair of the screen.   The nation will be transfixes by this nature loving family braving the wilds of Alaska in NE Washington, so remote that Walmart is too far to walk.

Just as long as they can get to the pizza joint and have cell coverage they'll survive

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

I'd love to see them camping in a woods somewhere behind a Walmart, and film the show from there.  Maybe Bear could get a job there, and he could take a bath in a local creek and brush his teeth with a pine cone, before donning his uniform.  After all, a lot of the show was dedicated to the kids doing jobs to earn money or make a trade, before they started doing all the repeat footage stuff.  Meanwhile, Billy could stare at Ami in their lean to while yelling for Bird and Rain to go fetch him an Icee or something.

• Love 2

Just saw an advertisement for the new season. 

Apparently Bear does survive that EXTREME encounter with that tree branch o' doom.  At least I see him in the promo, anyway.  The new season starts on Sunday, August 19th apparently.

Set those DVR's accordingly!

• Love 1

I dumped ABP from my DVR and took this page off my favorites months ago.  I figured the show was done, the family had grifted as much as they could and their shtick was over.  And that we'd pretty much gotten as much comments and discussion out of it as we could.  Then Tuesday night watching Deadliest Catch and here comes a "Hey there's a new Season" commercial.  Really?  I mean Really Disco?   Is there anyone left who watches the show as "reality"?  Or is Disco OK with knowing the audience is there just to hate watch or to snark on it later and they don't care since they still get viewers and ratings and that's probably all that matters.

The other thing I was out of the loop about was Ami and her cancer.  After reading the last few pages here and seeing a quick mention of second chances in the pre-view can we put up with the whole real, fake or somewhere in between controversy?  Because if real it's extremely, extremely improbable and if fake or even mostly fake (by that I mean one benign node or similar so some medical issue but they majorly exaggerated it) I'm not sure I could watch week after week and feel like they suckered the viewers with a life or death story and are laughing all the way to the bank.  Plus faking terminal cancer is just so reprehensible I'm not sure there a bad enough word for people who would do that.

So, out of sheer curiosity only - back on the DVR schedule they go.  At least for one maybe two episodes.  I would like to see how the address these things:   Ami's "recovery", the absence of Bam, the absence of Noah, or  if they're on the show do they explain the return of one or both (include the spouses?  pretend they're still looking for wimmen folk?) why and how they're settling in Washington although they rarely explain the how  or where the money comes from, they'd rather have us think they just walk up and "claim" the land no ownership or money required.

This should be train wreck levels of interesting.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 2

I see that this shit show will be back this month with new adventures and new shit that Discovery thinks we believe.

I am interested in how they will spin Ami's recovery.  She may have had cancer but not the stage that they were presenting.

I thought they took this shit show to Colorado.  It will be on my DVR because I can fast forward through a lot.  

Edited by iluvobx
to add
  • Love 3

I'm not only slightly surprised that this BS is back but--frankly--ambivalent about the whole thing.

No, not a fan of fake cancer (if that's what it was), nor of grifting, lying, scamming or generally taking people for a ride. I find the Browns (and by extension) the production company which promotes them to be heinous, cynical and overall just not very nice.

Will I watch? I dunno. Maybe. If I don't forget--which I very well might. They've worn out their welcome for me, I'm afraid; the shits and giggles simply aren't anymore.

• Love 4

I'm curious if they are going to explain why they decided not to settle in Colorado.  Supposedly, I believe they said on the show, that some "friend" of theirs were going to let them live on his land in Colorado.  I guess someone else is going to "donate" some land to them in Washington.  You know they're not going to show them paying for anything, unless it's in salmon.  Maybe Washington gives tax breaks to grifters or something, and that's why they're going there.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm curious if they are going to explain why they decided not to settle in Colorado.  Supposedly, I believe they said on the show, that some "friend" of theirs were going to let them live on his land in Colorado.  I guess someone else is going to "donate" some land to them in Washington.  You know they're not going to show them paying for anything, unless it's in salmon.  Maybe Washington gives tax breaks to grifters or something, and that's why they're going there.

According to radar online, Billy bought the land in Washington for $415,000 cash.  They're poor and barter for everything?  Yeah. Right.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

According to radar online, Billy bought the land in Washington for $415,000 cash.  They're poor and barter for everything?  Yeah. Right.

Which again brings up the reasonable question of how much the collective and individual Browns are/have been paid for this crap. I've wondered about this for a while. Clearly TPTB find it a reasonable expense for making $ off them.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Is radar online a credible site?  It seems hard to believe they would actually buy some land when they could just as easily be freeloading.

I won't watch anymore, although I am curious concerning how they will explain Ami's recovery from Stage 3 or Stage 4 (I read both) lung cancer. Shame on them for obviously exaggerating what was really going on with her and shame on the network for using this to increase viewership. Guess the Brown clowns don't believe in karma, faking terminal cancer may come back to haunt them.

• Love 4
On 8/3/2018 at 4:36 PM, AZChristian said:

I found the County tax assessor website. It confirms he spent $415,000 for four Parcels of land.

Surprising.  It doesn't seem like Billy would spend that kind of money unless there was some sort of scam involved.

Regarding Ami, my guess is they will credit the doctors and the Good Lord (not necessarily in that order) for her recovery.  I guess her cancer story enabled them to fill a whole season of them sitting in the California house and rerun footage of them in Alaska.  Gripping television.  ;) 

• Love 2