Type keyword(s) to search

Same Name, Different Song - er, ah, I mean, Movie

• Start Topic

(edited)

Same premise, people.

Much like music, Throughout the history of Hollywood, it's hard to convey your "magnum opus" in as little as five words

without replicating some other title from "long ago" (or perhaps not so long ago).

No replicate titles from franchises or remakes, please.

And try not to go onto IMDB or some other site .......... (knowing full well you people are going to do it anyway).

Black Sheep  -   Chris Farley, David Spade, need I say more??

Black Sheep  -    killer zombie sheep, need I say more??

Twilight  -  Bella, you're an idiot

Twilight  -  Paul Neuman, Gene Hackman, and James Garner kicking butt??  Yes, please,

Man of The House  -  Johnathan Taylor Thomas outsmarting Chevy Chase

Man of The House  -  Tommy Lee Jones protecting four cheerleaders who saw a murder

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 2

Last Night with Sandra Oh about how a few people spend the last day of life on earth as our sun went supernova

Last Night with Keira Knightley will a couple have an extra marital affair since it is available that night

Neighbors 1981: Weird black comedy about John Belushi playing a bored family man who enacts war with his neighbor from hell (Dan Aykroyd). Sadly Belushi's final film.

Neighbors 2014: Far superior comedy of Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne living next door to a rowdy frathouse.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2017 at 3:02 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

First thing that popped in my head was The Avengers (the shitting Uma Thurman/Ralph Fiennes/Sean Connery movie) and The Avengers (the Marvel movie).

That's why the official name of the latter is Marvel's The Avengers.

Kicking and Screaming (1995) : Indie film about college grads already nostalgic for their youth.

Kicking and Screaming (2005) : Will Ferrell comedy about him coaching his kids soccer team.

Grandma's Boy (1922) - Harold Lloyd must overcome his cowardice and find his courage when a rogue tramp menaces his town.

Grandma's Boy (2006) - A 35 year old video game developer must move in with his grandmother and her two old lady roommates.

Carrie (1976 and 2013)--A shy teenager with telekinetic powers unleashes vengeance on her nasty classmates.

Carrie (1952)--A young woman from a small town moves to Chicago and becomes involved with a salesman and a restaurant owner.

Can we include movies with the same name as tv (mini)series? Of course keeping the same rules about not including franchises, remakes, reboots, continuations or adaptations of the same source material.

Taken (2002): Three families experience alien abductions over a period of five decades.

Taken (2008): A retired CIA agent travels across Europe and relies on his old skills to save his estranged daughter, who has been kidnapped while on a trip to Paris.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, Lugal said:

Grandma's Boy (1922) - Harold Lloyd must overcome his cowardice and find his courage when a rogue tramp menaces his town.

Grandma's Boy (2006) - A 35 year old video game developer must move in with his grandmother and her two old lady roommates.

Well, there are two movies that were clearly "of their time"!!!

• Love 2

Passengers (2008) - Patrick Wilson survives a plane crash and Anne Hathaway thinks he knows more about what happened than he claims.

Passengers (2016) - A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people starts to malfunction and Chris Pratt and J.Law awaken 90 years too early.

(edited)

That's not the only Schwarzenegger movie with the same title as another movie.

Red Heat (1985): An American woman visiting her fiancée in West Germany is caught up with a defecting spy and captured by those in the East.

Red Heat (1988): A tough Russian policeman is forced to partner up with a cocky Chicago police detective when he is sent to Chicago to apprehend a Georgian drug lord who killed his partner and fled the country.

Edited by paulvdb

And after looking up the year and plot summaries for those movies I thought it might be fun to find other Schwarzenegger movies with duplicate titles. Near the top of the list I found one:

Triplets (1961): a comedy from the Philippines that does not have a plot description on IMDB.

Triplets (announced): Julius and Vincent Benedict discover they have a third sibling.

and a bit further down I found one that had so many title matches that I'll just link to the IMDB search results:

Aftermath

so I was listening to the radio and that song came on and I thought "Hey, didn't they make a movie about that"

which then made me think "Didn't they make another movie a few years back with the same name?"

The Gambler (1980) - Kenny Rogers made a movie based loosely on his song, then he made another, and another, and.............

The Gambler (2014) - Wahlberg is a literaure professor who owes a "LOT" of money to loan sharks

and this is actually a remake of a 1974 James Caan film that also had the same name.

• Love 1

OK, here's some more.............

Shock Treatment (1964) -  In order to find a million dollars, Roddy McDowall must be institutionalized.

Shock Treatment (1981) -  Less than stellar sequel to Rocky Horror.  At least the guy who played Riff Raff (who wrote the songs for both movies) appears in this film as well.

Suicide Squad (1935) - Is a firefighter a true hero or a "grandstanding four-flusher"??  (What does that even mean??)

Suicide Squad (2016) - Several of DC Comics bad guys save the world (and Joker gets most of his scenes cut)

On 6/25/2017 at 12:28 PM, BetterButter said:

The Fast and the Furious

Here's a real old movie that shares the same title with one of the sequels.

Fast and Furious (1939) - Joel and Garda Sloane go on a vacation, and wind up having to solve a murder mystery.

Fast and Furious (2009) - After a less than impressive third movie, "The Brotherhood" returns to reignite the franchise.