Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Dream House

13 hours ago, Richness said:

I'm not sure why the judges were harping so much on Ethereal Effects not meeting the family aspect of the challenge. I really don't recall McKenzie saying the 3 characters had to all be from the same family.

I just rewatched that section of the episode where McKenzie explained the challenge, because I wasn't sure about this either.  Actually, after the contestants picked their houses, McKenzie said the challenge was to design "a family of 3 whimsical characters who would live in that house".  I guess technically that doesn't strictly mean the 3 characters have to be from the same biological family, but that would seem to be implied.  In past seasons contestants have been sent home for not adhering to the challenge, but this is the season of wtf. 

• Love 2

I finally figured out what's wrong with this season - not enough crazy Manic Panic hair colors! Faina and KC are the only ones even close to weird hair colors (and really, in most other seasons of Face Off, their hair color would be considered tame). Apparently Manic Panic must activate creativity or talent or something because this season seems to have very little of either.

I knew that Nick was going to be eliminated when Glenn freaked out at the revelation that he had removed clay from Jill's sculpt.

To be honest, this is one of the MANY problems with having teams/shops all season. It's one thing to be on a real job and be told "this is what the director wants for this character, this is what I have devised, and you will now do what I tell you do to." It's another thing to be on a competition show where you are supposed to be judged for your own work and then be told by someone else to scrap what you've done and basically copy what he's done.

Now don't get me wrong - I totally agreed with Michael Westmore's assessment of her first sculpt. It did look too veiny and it didn't look at all similar or related to what Nick had for his fairy. On top of that, what she ended up showing had really terribly visible edges on the cheeks. I think she doesn't have the creativity or technical skill to get much further in this competition. But I would rather see her get eliminated for executing her own shitty concept than for her shitty rendition or someone else's shitty idea.

Another thing I LOATHE about the rules of the team concept is that the winner and loser are determined by the overall team results. I think the winner should always be the best look regardless of what the rest of the team produced, and I think the loser sold always be the worst look regardless of what the rest of the team did.

I also hate that the team concept has resulted in producing too many similar looks. Last week sucked because if I have to watch an entire episode with insect looks, at least let me get some variety instead of each team producing one type of insect. THREE wasps? No thanks. I'm not interested in seeing the teams create a cohesive team look each week. I just want to see good makeup and prosthetics. I don't care if every creature is totally different as long as it's interesting and well executed.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Another thing I LOATHE about the rules of the team concept is that the winner and loser are determined by the overall team results. I think the winner should always be the best look regardless of what the rest of the team produced, and I think the loser sold always be the worst look regardless of what the rest of the team did.

I 100% agree. If they had to have teams, I wish that it was strictly to see how they work on a team but that the winner or loser could come from either team. You'd still get the "teamwork" aspect, and the cohesive looks (which I don't care about but the show seems to want) however, you wouldn't be screwing over the best look or saving people who should be gone because they were lucky enough to be on the winning team.

I just feel like doing it this way will keep poor performers around longer and risk losing good ones early.

• Love 7
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎27 at 8:58 PM, Maelstrom said:

I've watched this show from day one and I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in it as I am so far this season. 

What a damn mess.

Me too. I feel like they read everything we all liked about the show and decided to go for the opposite. That Jill (name?) has the most annoying whiny voice, it reminds me of my granddaughter when she needs a nap, lol. Nick was wrong to peel off her clay, but how else was she going to listen? She just walked outside when he tried to show her.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, SherriAnt said:

Nick was wrong to peel off her clay, but how else was she going to listen? She just walked outside when he tried to show her.

I'll give you that, but that wasn't the way to try to show/teach her.   His behavior was as bad as hers.  That is not a great leader there.  On bright side, I get the distinct feeling she's not long for this competition, can't handle it.  OR, she'll be around forever, just to drive us nuts.  Your call LOL.

• Love 3

Yes Nick was the foreman, but he can only do so much with a teammate that will not listen. Just let her sink on her own merit instead of saving her by making them feel she didn't get a chance to show what she could do. (yes, I'm mad at him because as much as he sucks too, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me and this could have been a chance to get rid of her!)

If Jill's look was so far from what the others were doing, they'd get the not cohesive critique and the least cohesive had the best chance of going home. If Nick felt he'd done good work he should have just let her go. When they did the judging he could have honestly said he tried to get her on the same page but short of tearing down her work and doing it for her, he couldn't get her do comply. It would have looked worse on her for not listening than on him for not getting her to listen.

I think he was reacting "in the moment" and made a really, really stupid, rash decision. I'm sure he regrets it. He might have as soon as it happened, who knows. But it is his fault I am stuck listening to Jill for another week so fuck off buddy! (I don't wish him actual ill will. I just can't stand Jill that much.)

• Love 4

Sorry, I saw things differently that most of you.

Phil was complaining because Nick didn't assign him to anything.  "Al went home because he didn't do enough."

Jill started working on the fairy with the warm colors.  She decided to do more than just a mask and extended the face piece down.  Nick told he that he wanted a vascular look.  Then along came Mr Westmore and told her that the lines would look like bad veins.  She was following what Nick told her to do.  The critique also mentioned the forehead.  The biggest difference there was that Nick was sticking flowers into the forehead as he was sculpting and she wasn't.   Jill started making changes, she was looking at Nick's fairy and making changes when he came over and asked if she minded if he "refined her work".  She told him that she did mind.  She then said she had to walk away.  My feeling was that she walked away to calm down.  I would have done the same thing.  As soon as she left, he destroyed her work. 

At final looks, Jill was painting with the warmer colors from her flower color palette.  Nick came over and again undid her work by painting it with the palette from his flowers. 

The criticism was for both the female fairies.  Nick;'s fairy wasn't any better than Jill's. 

I don't know if any of the twisted zeroes have any talent.   Jill may be gone next . 

• Love 5

Please can this team thing be a one and done? It just sucks. I love this show and it is unrecognizable this year. I want variety, skill, talent, getting to know the contestants, watching them HELP each other, not this reality tv mess. So sad.....

Who's that whiny chick? The one who got who got her work trashed? She's like Eyeore "Another gloomy day in the 100 acre woods" Yikes. 

I have 0 idea who any of these people are, what there names are, or what they can really do. KILL THE TEAMS!!!!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, toooquiet said:

Sorry, I saw things differently that most of you.

You are as entitled to your opinion here as we all are.  Frankly, it was nice to see the other side this week since most of us were losing it!  IDK if you are new here, but in general, most of us are nice, sweet, mild mannered fans.  Till riiiiiiiiiiight about now ;)!

• Love 3
(edited)

If they had to have teams, I wish they'd brought back some of the beloved winners from past seasons to be in charge of each team.  I know they did something similar to that when Laura came back a few years ago.  Maybe the winners have gotten too successful to return.  

Edited by Phebemarie
I should know the difference between to and too
  • Love 3

I thought the faerie Godfather was pretty spectacular.  I think both contestants who worked on it (guy transferred from the other team and woman with red hair) are pretty good and the other woman with red hair who won last week.  Also the guy that won this week seems to have more to show.  We'll see.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, sourpickles said:

IDK if you are new here

I'm not new.  I cam over when TWOP folded.  I just don't post and this is why.

FWIW, I  wasn't expressing an opinion.  I was repeating what I saw and heard.  I watched it several times to make sure what I was saying was correct.  Nick asked for a vascular look, then Jill got pinged because it was going to look like veins after it was painted.  Jill was busy painting her fairy when Nick came over and stopped her because he wanted the same color palette for both.  He took over. 

Phil expressed concern because Nick had him doing nothing and Al got booted because he didn't do enough.  Why?

With five people doing three characters, two were working on the fairy godfather and one each on the two fairy godmothers.  One of the more talented team members was doing nothing.  Phil was finally allowed to make the three chest pieces with the different colored orbs.  However,  he had to suggest it, Nick didn't think of it. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I've been thinking quite a lot about why this format isn't working for me, because I'm not really opposed to group or pairs challenges per se.  However, I feel like this season there's been a real imbalance in terms of responsibility and accountability for the various challenges.  Consider Top Chef - when they do Restaurant Wars, every chef has a defined role and there's usually even an expectation of how much each one should contribute to the overall menu.  Here, they put someone "in charge" and they're given an inspiration for the makeups, but I agree with posters above who've said that it's become difficult to keep track of who's actually responsible for the various elements that go into the designs.  I was shocked when Kierstin (I think?) said that this was her first face sculpt on the show - this is week three, and you're just now getting to the thing that this show is known for???  Basically, I don't like that they've set up a system where one contestant felt he needed to literally wipe out another competitors work in the name of "consistency" - but I also don't think it's particularly fair to have one person be responsible for an entire team's productivity in this setup either.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, toooquiet said:

I'm not new.  I cam over when TWOP folded.  I just don't post and this is why.

FWIW, I  wasn't expressing an opinion.  I was repeating what I saw and heard. 

My bad, I misunderstood!

2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

responsibility and accountability for the various challenges

Which is not what we tune in to see.  And nothing aggravates me more than someone who admits they have no idea a) what they are doing and b) what the show is about.  Sigh.  I really thought that after a year it'd get better..............and I'm going to firmly believe that it will, cause FO is doomed if it doesn't.  Widespread Dismay, indeed.

8 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Now that would have been a name for a team.

That is not my creation.  I'd have to look but I think last week someone came up with that.  Dang, I can't remember, but I hold no copyright on Face Off: Widespread Dismay.

13 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I also don't think it's particularly fair to have one person be responsible for an entire team's productivity in this setup either.

Yes. It's more like the format of "Celebrity Apprentice", where the project manager of the losing team is on the chopping block and has the highest odds of getting the boot.  It gets to where no one volunteers to be project manager, and their own team mates sometimes use the opportunity to sabotage the project manager by subtly screwing up during the challenge just to get rid of a formidable competitor.  That's not what I want to see on Face Off. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/29/2017 at 4:34 PM, Phebemarie said:

If they had to have teams, I wish they'd brought back some of the beloved winners from past seasons to be in charge of each team.  I know they did something similar to that when Laura came back a few years ago.  Maybe the winners have gotten too successful to return.  

No. If there's one thing I hate worse than all teams all the time, it's mixing newbies with veterans. Granted, I think Face Off has committed that sin only once, but that is more than enough. It's bad enough when Survivor or Top Chef does it. The veterans just have way too much experience in dealing with the show's time constraints and with performing in front of a camera. The veterans almost always do better than the newbies overall.

Granted, the Return of the Champion season was a bit different in that the veterans served as mentors instead of direct competition. Even that benign mixture has pros and cons. While a veteran mentor might raise the quality of the output, I'd rather see a contestant succeed or fail solely on their own merit, and not because of something their mentor said. Furthermore, I'd rather see and hear about the current newbies regardless of how talented they may or may not be. The veteran will draw the focus to them instead of leaving it on the newbies whether they mean to or not. As talented and likable as Laura, Roy, and whoever the third veteran was, they've had their chance and their 15 minutes of fame. Let them fade away into obscurity.

Edited by Richness
fixed some grammar issues
  • Love 1

I don't know what was wrong with the original format of a group of talented artists going head to head each week in interesting challenges. One mentor, three judges, no teams, no forced dramatics. That is the show I fell in love with. Not the one we are getting this season, which is pretty much the same as every other tired reality competition show on TV. I liked this show because it was different. I started watching it when Great British Bake Off fans recommended it as another competition show that had more warmth and less manufactured drama than the others. Now it feels less GBBO and more like any other reality show. I really do hope they course correct before next season or this will go into the trash heap with all the other shows I once loved but were ruined by some strange desire to fix things that are not broken.

• Love 6

Late to the game, but I have to say that as someone who has worked in make up and costume shops, Nick can eff off for effing-ever. I'm no Glenn fan, but agree that it was an awful thing to do to a teammate. Jill's not very strong, but maybe her edges wouldn't have looked so bad if she wasn't doing a THIRD generation sculpt at the last minute. If they are going to designate a head of the design team like in the real world, they should have full creative control of the characters, but also be willing to take the fall for a lack of cohesion if they cannot convey that. Nick did neither. His own fairy was not even in the same league as the fairy godfather and as shop head he should have gone home for that alone because the most successful look had almost none of his input.

This season is not working very well for me. But I'm still gonna watch, because Face Off. Grr. Arg. 

• Love 1

Just checking in to say I still don't think the work is that great and I still don't know or care who any of the contestants are. Usually I sit down and give the show my full attention. Lately I have it on while I'm cooking or doing other errands. Hopefully I'll get on board with this season soon. 

• Love 1