Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Dream House

Fairy tale, my ass.  If I see one more woodland creature or whatever from team one, is it?  I'll eat the chair I'm typing on.  We haven't even hit eliminations yet.  BUT.   YAY to Glenn for calling out that Tyler dressing wannabe on deliberately busting his own teammates  creation.  F that.  And that is why this season is  fail.  Though this has been best episode so far.

• Love 5

My thought is that we're still stuck with Jill.  The judges even said she's got execution problems, you could see those edges from across the set.  yeesh.  These teams seem to be so mismatched. Its reminding me of the crappy Project Runway Teams season except that that show seemed to be slightly more successful.  slightly.  Jill exhausted my nerves last week with her monotone, passive aggressive team leading so I have no patience for her at all anymore.  Even tho whathisface took off her sculpting, she wasn't receptive to any of his comments.

I also hated that lady woodchuck.  She looked like she had been shaved and her head shrunk.  

• Love 8

First: Yay for using Meghan and my Boo Matt! Good choices people!

Second: I had no idea that it was such a big thing to remove stuff but it makes some of the interaction make more sense. I thought both Nick and Liz were lacking in adult social skills. Liz: Give your opinion that you want the colors warmer, you wish not to base out in white, if he says no at least you communicated your feelings. No passive aggressive "I don't know if I need help do I? " whatever.  But given the taboo on removing stuff I will give  her a little leeway.   Nick: BS pep talks do not replace asking for their feedback on how he is doing and whether people know what the plan is. Communication needs to be two-ways not just you being bossy.

But I did enjoy kicking ass and taking names Glenn this week.

• Love 3

That lady groundhog had a big apron, I think.

Communication as a foundation is missing this season.  Not listening to team members, throwing them under the bus, carrying on as if they haven't spoken...........not for nothing, but I wouldn't hire either of these shops.  I get TV is stressful, but my ass would've been out of there a long time ago if anyone ever talked like some of that to me.  Granted, I'm armchairing, but really?

• Love 1

Go Glenn Hetrick! He's usually cool and calm and centered.  Throughout all the series that I have seen, he has never lost it. The kicked off dude deserved it. As foreman, he could have easily said 'let's see how this works' and offered his own idea instead of removing stuff - or just done a tweak here and there. No need to remove it from the sculpture - disrespectful to the employee and to your 'shop'. Jill will stick around another couple of weeks and then she will be eliminated, and by her own doing. Her little voiceovers or whatever they were started to grate.

Nice to see Elizabeth Mitchell again.

The winning woodchuck was adorable. I also liked the losing team's tree dude. Very well done.

Maybe a challenge could be working with women undergoing cancer treatments and making them beautiful. Nah, not with the school of monsters folk. Shocking that even some of the women struggled with beauty makeups.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

Yes.  I got so caught up in the other drama, I forgot to mention her.  How lovely she was.

And genuinely happy to have a guest judge gig. Enthusiastic, enjoying the creations. I miss seeing her around. Maybe she'll get a decent show.

Edited by Frozendiva
Spellling error
  • Love 4

Someone finally uses Matt and they cover his face in a friggin mask?! That's just criminal, people!! He's too pretty and talented to hide beneath a woodchuck makeup for crying out loud.

So the team with the best makeup of the night (the fairy godfather) loses while the team with the worst makeup (the woodchuck lady) wins? Both teams had successful elements and extremely unsuccessful elements. Clearly they just gave the loss to Six so they could ditch Nick. So basically there's no rhyme or reason to the challenge criteria and how it's all judged. This show makes no sense this season.

I've watched this show from day one and I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in it as I am so far this season. 

What a damn mess.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I've watched this show from day one and I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in it as I am so far this season. 

And we've said that in Rob's season and Nora's season, and..........though I watch the reruns and think they aren't QUITE as bad as I thought.  This was the first epi I sat through this season so, I'm ok with it, but not the season overall.  I still won't forgive that guy for trying to be Tyler........

(edited)

There have definitely been a few seasons, like Rob's, Nora's and also Rashad's, that weren't as good as others, true. Lackluster is the word I'd use. But IMO this season differs by being not only filled with undertalented contestants but also because of the radical format change. Maybe this bunch would be slightly better under the old individual and/or pairs format. And maybe not. But it's a bad combination this year.

Phrases like "jump the shark" are way overused in fandom, and also very subjective. For me personally, this year is, so far, the worst year of Face Off I've ever watched. We'll see if the show can pull it out from the fire as it goes along. I'm not giving up, but I am lowering my expectations, a lot.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 8

Woodchucks?  Really, a good orthodontist and nobody would guess those were woodchucks.  

I don't care enough to look up who made the "Beagle Boy" ears earlier, but I think they put those ears on the 'chucks.  And the DaddyChuck looked a whole lot like a neighbor's homliest dog. 

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/a/a5/BurgerBeagle.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20100702234140

I still don't have a feeling for who does what and each time the judges ask certain people to step forward, I'm surprised at which model also comes up.

I wish I remembered who commented that in the old format we got to see many ideas, and now we only get two ideas and variations there on.  Sometimes the variations are excessively far from where they are supposed to be (female wood face tonight and the 'chucks), but this isn't interesting.  

I want my Face Off to return to individuals and their personal creativity.

• Love 10

I really think they gave the win to the woodchuck team just so they could eliminate whatshisname who got booted.  The judges said out loud to the winners things that were almost directly the opposite of what they were saying to each other during the close ups.  I actually thought the losers' creations were better. The only one that was good on the winning team was the fat woodchuck although it did look like a cartoon animal, not one I could have identified as a woodchuck - or anything else for that matter.

I think Glenn was right to call out the foreman for removing that woman's clay but I don't like her at all so I hope she gets eliminated next week.

• Love 8

Ve was adamant that Team ethereal did NOT follow the parameters set,ie: a family that is cohesive, yet they WIN? And Team Six (or whatever) had a slightly more cohesive  "family" yet was the losing team. Sorry but I thought the woodchucks were more cartoony than whimsical.Liked the Team Six woodsman a lot. Don't quite get the judging. Has to be hard when there is a good one among some stinkers on the same team.

And yeah, I don't much like this team business. I agree with everyone who said it's hard to tell who does what.....and Nick. Oh Nick, NEVER EVER change or destroy another artists work . Especially when that artist stated she didn't want you to and then wasn't even there. I was glad to see Glenn call him out. Bad foreman. Bad!!!

I want to like this season , but so far I am having a hard time doing that.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

So the team with the best makeup of the night (the fairy godfather) loses while the team with the worst makeup (the woodchuck lady) wins?

I totally agree on these as the best and worst - the woodchuck lady was a bad makeup with even worse costuming, like a bad attempt to replicate the papa woodchuck.

My mom was watching with me and she absolutely loved the fairy godfather and wanted him to win, but then I explained that the winner is from the winning team, the person eliminated is from the losing team. She said in that case that team needs to lose and the guy who ripped off the clay needs to go home. 

The thing that I dislike the most about this season is that I have no idea what anyone's personal style or unique abilities are. I know Faina is good with creating color palettes but that's it. No clue what anyone else specializes in. I miss being able to think "Wow that is definitely an Emily creation!" or "that is really out of Cig's wheelhouse and he did a great job with it!" 

• Love 4

I always have problems remembering people in the first few episodes, but I'm always aware of the fact that they exist. This season has changed that. The guy that got voted off?  I thought he was a new contestant at first.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, katalizt said:

worse costuming,

I did not mind the makeup but yes, the dress was distracting for sure.

And as an aside (winning for four A words in a row?) I've not seen Ve critique like that before.  I would have laughed, but she might have hurt me through the tv.  Just saying.  It's always good to know the judges are as frustrated as us sometimes...................

• Love 1

What a MESS. In a competition one should not interfere with someone else's work. If they lost because she made bad make-up (and Michael Westmore certainly was indicating that was the case) then she could easily have been gone. That said Glen Hetrick is a pompous ass. I have no doubt that in commercial shops things are removed from junior sculptors forms all the time. It's a damn business not some sort of artistic retreat where people can explore their process. So a foreman could easily be the one to cut something away and have someone start over. The show has set up a situation where someone is supposed to be responsible for the product but can't really influence the outcome and then may or may not be blamed/praised for the makeup  depending on who is scheduled for elimination.

• Love 10

I always thought it was pretty obvious what it was about Face Off that attracted its fans - creative people creating enjoyable characters in a friendly, supportive environment, in a show that ignored all the reality TV stereotypes. You'd have to have the IQ of tofu to think that the fans wanted something different, but apparently the producers of this show think we want drama, villains and tears.

The team concept was flawed from the beginning, and after only two episodes they're diddling and tweaking with it, trying to force it to work. The people in charge of this show need a collective knee to the groin or a punch to the throat or something. The finished products are taking a back seat to the team dynamics and personal drama and that's not why I watch this show, assuming I can bother to continue.

• Love 18

And this is why I don't like the team format.  Yes, Nick deserved to go for what he did.  And Glenn was right, you don't do that to other artists.  But Sinister 6-2+1-1 deserved the win for the woodsman.  But because they couldn't dump someone from the winning team, the other team got it, even though Ve said outright that they didn't follow the challenge and the family was not cohesive.

Can we just declare Ethereal the winning team and go on to individual challenges now?  Or declare Sinister 6-2+1-1 the winning team because clearly the rest of Ethereal will get moved over there eventually.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, enoughcats said:

I wish I remembered who commented that in the old format we got to see many ideas, and now we only get two ideas and variations there on.  Sometimes the variations are excessively far from where they are supposed to be (female wood face tonight and the 'chucks), but this isn't interesting.  

I want my Face Off to return to individuals and their personal creativity.

That was me and thanks :)

As to Nick taking off the work, ...I gotta say, I don't care. She wasn't doing a cohesive sculpt. She'd been talked to about not doing a cohesive sculpt. She got a shitty critique from Michael Westmore. Her sculpt was not working and she was not receptive to making the change. Nick could not fire her because of the parameters of the show. His options were to do it himself or assign someone else and simply not use her work. I don't know if they had a second head from which he could have done another sculpt, but if they did not, what else was he supposed to do?

From the business owner perspective, I would have fired her or taken her off the job completely and put her on sweeping floors. So Glenn's hissy fit seemed out of place and not at all in line with how to run a business. If it had been Glenn as the shop owner, you know damn well he would have not used the sculpt and done his own, but probably not by taking the clay off the head which allows him to sit on his morally superior high horse.

On the other hand, Nick sucked so I'm glad he's gone. 

• Love 9

BlackberryJam, I agree with you.  And Jill whined and threw Nick under the bus.  She could've been professional, taken the critique and worked with him to fix the sculpt, but instead, she played the victim to save her own ass.  Not cool.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Or declare Sinister 6-2+1-1

This is totally OT, and I really am the worst ever, but.......one plus two plus one plus one is.................my favorite movie. Apologies!  I swear, no more smartass remarks!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

This is totally OT, and I really am the worst ever, but.......one plus two plus one plus one is.................my favorite movie. Apologies!  I swear, no more smartass remarks!

"The point is there's one bullet left in this gun and guess who's gonna get it!"  One of my favorite movies too.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

26 minutes ago, Lugal said:

"The point is there's one bullet left in this gun and guess who's gonna get it!"  One of my favorite movies too.

"You ain't just whistling Dixie!"

(I could quote Clue almost in its entirety. Such a great movie!)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Go Glenn Hetrick! He's usually cool and calm and centered.  Throughout all the series that I have seen, he has never lost it. The kicked off dude deserved it. As foreman, he could have easily said 'let's see how this works' and offered his own idea instead of removing stuff - or just done a tweak here and there. No need to remove it from the sculpture - disrespectful to the employee and to your 'shop'. Jill will stick around another couple of weeks and then she will be eliminated, and by her own doing. Her little voiceovers or whatever they were started to grate.

I don't much like Jill, who I find monotone, passive aggressive and as interesting as a bowl of vanilla pudding. But her foreman did not handle her well. She needed hairpats and validation to do her best work. If he'd gone in and praised something first, then compared her sculpt to the others, asked her how it could be improved, let her talk it out a little, maybe the outcome would have been better. Yes, I know her level of talent does not seem to live up to her being so high maintenance. Yes, she's a pain in the ass. She appears to love to play the martyr and cut off her nose to spite her face. But it was up to the foreman to manage her. To wait till she left the shop and destroy her work behind her back was cowardly, not to mention a shitty thing to do. Glad he's gone.

9 hours ago, katalizt said:

I totally agree on these as the best and worst - the woodchuck lady was a bad makeup with even worse costuming, like a bad attempt to replicate the papa woodchuck.

My mom was watching with me and she absolutely loved the fairy godfather and wanted him to win, but then I explained that the winner is from the winning team, the person eliminated is from the losing team. She said in that case that team needs to lose and the guy who ripped off the clay needs to go home. 

The thing that I dislike the most about this season is that I have no idea what anyone's personal style or unique abilities are. I know Faina is good with creating color palettes but that's it. No clue what anyone else specializes in. I miss being able to think "Wow that is definitely an Emily creation!" or "that is really out of Cig's wheelhouse and he did a great job with it!" 

And the teams never jell. Especially when one is a bunch of losing losers. Poaching members from the winning team in an attempt to help the losers win one, just once! doesn't seem so smart, really.

• Love 1

The dreaded W word rears it's scary head early. But with the stupid team format, it's really hard to see who can handle whimsical and who can't. While the woodchucks were somewhat whimsical, they were also incredibly creepy. I'm not sure why the judges were harping so much on Ethereal Effects not meeting the family aspect of the challenge. I really don't recall McKenzie saying the 3 characters had to all be from the same family. Their backstory clearly explained why there was a witch hanging around with woodchucks.

On to the Losing 6-2+1-1 (Thanks Lugal!). While Nick shouldn't have removed all of Suzanne's work without her consent, she refused to do what her foreman wanted her to do. And STFU, Glenn, I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories from your underlings about the things you've done to them. While neither of them were that good, at least Nick had one good look last week, compared to none from Suzanne. Keeping her means we're subjected to more of her irritating voice overs. As much as I'd hate to see the Losing Losers lose again, I really hope she's gone next week.

Besides, I really didn't think their fairies were that whimsical. While the fairy godfather was gorgeously done, he was still a fairly standard fairy overall. I'm just glad the adorable Phil wasn't sent packing for having contributed so little due to the delegation of the responsibilities by foreman Nick. I also felt sorry for Joseph having to switch to the Losing Loser team. Again, I cannot state how much I hate all teams, all the time format. It's done nothing for the show except bring in the type of drama we all hate.

And on a purely shallow note, helloooooo Nelson! When did you sneak onto this show? Hell, he was apparently the foreman of Ethereal Effects last week, and a bottom look. He must have been hidden behind Andrew and Faina's skills. Speaking of Andrew, it was sweet of him to dedicate his win to his mom, and to acknowledge that he's a monster and demon type of guy like most Face Off contestants. And speaking of Faina, looks like she's the best talent there so far. These two are probably headed for the finals, or maybe Joseph if the Losing Losers doesn't take him down with them.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

And the teams never jell.

Good point, I think that is what a lot of us are reacting to.  Is the lack of cohesiveness that is on display. 

10 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

You ain't just whistling Dixie!"

(I could quote Clue almost in its entirety. Such a great movie!)

Flames, Flames on the side of my face, heaving, breathless..............you knew I was going to pull THAT out.  It so is, I was 10 when it came out and 12 when we rented it and I have the poster in my room, and wow, do I have an understanding Mr. Pickles!  Gherkin said that last night was the best so far, so look fwd. to happy times with a nine year old commenting.........I guess it could be worse.

• Love 2

This is war Peacock! (I use that all the freaking time) You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, every cook will tell you that.

But look what happened to the cook!!!!

I feel like maybe we should all sit down to a nice viewing of Clue and just avoid the rest of this crap season all together. One of my least favorite aspects of team challenges is when one team sucks so much they lose too many players so they poach someone from the winning team. It's unfair to the team that is working well together, at least well enough to keep winning. UGH!!!!

• Love 4

I hope that we hear a bit more about how the judges decided to send the guy over to 6-2+1=1, and was he given any warning?  

No, I don't know his name, nor do I have any feeling about why he was the judges' choice.  And even worse, did having him on the winning team contribute at all to the win? 

Or am I so disinterested that I no longer watch it twice the night it premiers, and just pick random bits that hang half As*ed in my memory? 

I will go sometime and find out if any of the judges are listed as Exec Producers (Project Runway lite), or if I can figure out who to blame for the team concept.

38 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

But look what happened to the cook!!!!

You beat me to it.  OK, "Will you stop that!"  NO!

22 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Or am I so disinterested that I no longer watch it twice the night it premiers, and just pick random bits that hang half As*ed in my memory? 

Yep, pretty much.   I DID watch twice last night and didn't really get anything out of it.  But, as I said, most enjoyable so far,

• Love 2

I guess I'm an outlier, but I actually liked the winning team's looks better overall. Yes, the fairy godfather was probably the best look, but I didn't care for the rest of his team's looks. Mama Woodchuck wasn't good, but I thought she was better than the worst fairy. I liked the tree witch and was surprised at the criticism it got, especially when Mama Woodchuck from the same team was worse. I sort of felt like they were just making up critiques for that team so that it wouldn't be such a foregone conclusion that Twisted Six was losing. The purple fairy was fine, but very expected. We've seen that fairy so many times. And to Ve's criticism about them not "looking" like a family, I'm sure she didn't mean it that way, but it sounded like a jab at adoption to me. As long as they looked like they could be from the same universe and thrive in that home, I don't see why they have to be the same species. 

As for Nick's despicable behavior, although they're calling the teams "shops", these are not businesses, and this is not the real world. It's a competition show where the judges need to see everyone's abilities every week. So it was not okay to scrap someone else's work for the good of the team. I'm surprised that the show doesn't have rules about touching other people's work without their permission. Otherwise, people could sabotage their competitors' works left and right.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, April Bloodgate said:

So it was not okay to scrap someone else's work for the good of the team.

Yes, in a competition it is never okay to alter someone else's work. What if he made it worse and she got kicked off because of something he did? What if she would have won on the piece she made before he decided to alter it? Since only one person is going to be outed from the losing team, let her do what she is doing and sink or swim on her own merit. He had nothing to lose. If hers was so terrible, it would have been her going home, and honestly, if he hadn't altered hers and brought on the wrath of Glenn, maybe she would have been the one to go.

• Love 8

Jill could well have been the one to go, and I don't think she'll last much longer anyway.  Her sculpt wasn't that great and it still wasn't great after Nick ripped it apart and she redid it.  But I still think Glenn was right to call Nick out.  It's not a business thing, just basic respect. You don't tear apart someone else's work (Especially since he did it after she left the room).  I can't think of any job where if you hand in a bad report or project that the boss will rip it up in front of you. (OK, we've all had bosses like that, but they are generally acknowledged to be assholes)

• Love 6

I think the Woodchuck team didn't sell the family well. When describing them, she said how the "Good" witch had cursed the woodchucks to making homes for others. It's not really a whimsical or friendly type story, and takes you out of the family angle.

Instead, she should've said the Good witch found the woodchucks when they were young and raised/adopted them, and together they decided to be good and help others in need or something like that. 

I do think they were probably the slightly better team; Papa Chuck was great IMO, and the witch was decent; but Mama Chuck was a major fail. 

On the other team, their fae were more unified; but didn't really have that much to it. The Male faerie was good I agree, but the two females were  off IMO. 

Still for the sake of fairness, I would have been fine with the chuck team 'losing'; mama-chuck certainly warranted it. But the judges were clearly pissed at Nick's behaviour, so they get their third loss. 

I haven't really been paying much attention to the artists this year yet, but man, Jill and Nick were getting the loser edit this time. All those confessionals, and Jill's passive aggressivness was very annoying. I hope she gets the boot soon regardless. 

• Love 3

Yeeesh, that season. Between the Nick/Jill drama, the tail-less psycho woodchucks (seriously, put some shaky-cam and red lighting on Papa Woodchuck, and you'd be ready to film Woodchuck Chainsaw Massacre), the tree witch that got lost on her way to another challenge, and the awful facial edges on both the fairy male & Jill's female, it was painful. I'd have given it to the male fairy, though, just for the family factor, and for the fact that it looked interesting.

• Love 2
(edited)

So, with Team Not Six losing AGAIN, and the teams now being mismatched AGAIN. Will the consistently winning team have to lose another member for the sake of keeping things competitive or whatever Mackenzie is trying to sell this season as? UGH.

I think the top two looks should have been the losing teams male fairy which was stunning and the papa woodchuck. I would have given the fairy the win with woodchuck coming in second. I really liked the wood witch as well but not as much as these two.

I would have had the red fairy and the mama woodchuck as bottom two with either one losing.

The team concept is preventing the best looks from making it to the top simply because a teammate did the worst. GRRRR

That said, can't get too upset about the guy who got booted, though I wish it had been monotone Jane I'm fine with the guy who reminds me of the amazing faun Tyler and Emily did last season. lol

There is still a lot of cannon fodder left this season.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Richness said:

I'm not sure why the judges were harping so much on Ethereal Effects not meeting the family aspect of the challenge. I really don't recall McKenzie saying the 3 characters had to all be from the same family. Their backstory clearly explained why there was a witch hanging around with woodchucks

ITA.  When Ve said that, I thought "What, you want three woodchucks?"

• Love 4

I don't get it. On the judges' close looks, everyone said Mrs. Woodchuck was awful (she was) and said that the first fairy was beautiful, yet in announcing the winner Glenn said the Ethereal whatever's creations were "great" and both fairies had problems. WTF? The other team should have won based on the fairy godfather alone. I thought Mr. Woodchuck looked as if he stepped out of the Country Bear Jamboree. He was just goofy.

• Love 9

Wow, I'm glad Nick is gone (not that I love Jill) because that was a real asshole thing to do. He didn't have a problem with it when he was doing it, but at judging he really seemed to realize how wrong it was, so I wonder what happened, or who said something to make him change his attitude.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

I guess I'm an outlier, but I actually liked the winning team's looks better overall. Yes, the fairy godfather was probably the best look, but I didn't care for the rest of his team's looks. Mama Woodchuck wasn't good, but I thought she was better than the worst fairy. I liked the tree witch and was surprised at the criticism it got, especially when Mama Woodchuck from the same team was worse. I sort of felt like they were just making up critiques for that team so that it wouldn't be such a foregone conclusion that Twisted Six was losing. The purple fairy was fine, but very expected. We've seen that fairy so many times. And to Ve's criticism about them not "looking" like a family, I'm sure she didn't mean it that way, but it sounded like a jab at adoption to me. As long as they looked like they could be from the same universe and thrive in that home, I don't see why they have to be the same species. 

As for Nick's despicable behavior, although they're calling the teams "shops", these are not businesses, and this is not the real world. It's a competition show where the judges need to see everyone's abilities every week. So it was not okay to scrap someone else's work for the good of the team. I'm surprised that the show doesn't have rules about touching other people's work without their permission. Otherwise, people could sabotage their competitors' works left and right.

I agree about the teams.  In the end i prefered the woodchuck clan.

I think that is possible that the struggle with the no longer six may have prevented the judges from giving them a mercy win.  But i don't think they lost because they had to send the foreman home.  I thought Ve was trying to find a justification with the family comment.   The judges loved the male fairy but didn't like either of the two sisters and they loved the male woodchuck and liked the witch better than not-Jill's fairy.  I was actually wondering if they were going to send both Jill and the foreman home and then completely reconstitute the teams.  

Frankly the only one i think has been consistently strong has been Faina.

• Love 1