Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Tony Dovolani

• Start Topic

Many of Tony's exchanges with CAI through the years, especially after his partnership with Jane Seymour have been more cringe-inducing for me than anything Max has said during the show. Generally, I like Tony but I'd peg him as having the worst temperament of the pros in the group.

Quotation above from Maks' thread - I always thought that Tony was weirdly quiet and did not project much personality at all.  Couldn't understand his self-proclaimed moniker "Bad boy of the ballroom" or whatever.  But as the seasons have progressed, Tony keeps showing more and more glimpses of his temper and ego that are not pretty.  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for actually knowing who he honestly is, but it strikes me that his former quiet internality was a disguise.

Of course, CAI is a complete jerk to him - WAY more than to anyone else.

He looks fantastic in that outfit he's wearing tonight.  Something has changed about how he presents himself.  I wonder what's going on there. 

I have to wonder if Tony senses his tenure on the show might be in jeopardy and he's feeling pressure to show he is still relevant by stripping down and creating drama (not that I think he's been that dramatic but maybe he wants producers to think he can be if they want it for TV).

Didn't he just turn 40?  People have been calling a lot of attention to that this season.  It's over the hill in dancer years. 

I know there was a lot of fan reaction to there not being enough room on the show this season for Tristan McManus.  Tony might be worried that next season they'll make room for some of those younger pros at his expense.

I agree that Tristan's absence did seem to be noted more than some other pros this season. Not just by his own fans but just by fans of the show in general. I'm not sure if he'll be back but I think between him and maybe Henry there is a good chance that Tony might start being passed over. I like Tony but I just don't think he's a big enough draw at this point for TPTB to feel they need to keep him on.

• Love 1

Tony is just a gem. I really wanted to see his audition tape the other night. I hope that they either air it or put it up on the site if they don't show them all. He has been so fantastic with Betsey(no surprise) and you can tell she just adores working with him. I hate that he usually gets contestants that are either old or a joke but I get why they do it. I can't imagine any of these ladies being able to work with any of the younger pros.

• Love 3

Yes, he is. I was wondering whether the "dating Carrie Ann" question predates his getting married? I think that would predate the show as well. If he messes around, I'd really rather not hear about it...

Yes, we're talking pre-dwts. Those rumors have been going on for as long as I remember. Although, they're never been confirmed or denied. there's an awkwardness between them though. i saw the same awkwardness between Artem and CAI, that's why i brought it up.

Moving from the stand alone thread (why did Tony say "three" season 20):

Did anyone ever notice how Tony, Maks and Val are always together like there a group? Look what happened last season when Rumor and Val won! (keep in mind that Maks and Tony already won a MBT) http://imgur.com/H07AeRu

Maks (and Tony? I don't know if he was a "founder" or not, technically) founded Dance with Me Studios, a dance studio (duh). It's a family thing for the Chmerkovskiys - Maks, Val, and I think their dad are all a part of it. I took his "three" gesture as being that Dance with Me Studios has three mirrorball trophies - his, Maks's, and now Val's.

Plus, Maks, Val, Tony, and now sometimes Sharna and Artem get grouped as "the family" on the boards. (Basically anyone that's friends with a Chmerkovskiy.) It's always had weird Russian mob sounding vibes to me (even though neither Tony nor Sharna are Russian), but it is what it is. It's often a counterpoint to the Houghs (Derek, Julianne, and Mark) and/or the Mormons (Witney, Lindsay, Allison, maaaybe Lacey, etc). (At least, that's my understanding.) So there's that, too. It was the third mirrorball for their group.

Wow, DWTS is pretty clique-y.

Plus, Maks, Val, Tony, and now sometimes Sharna and Artem get grouped as "the family" on the boards. (Basically anyone that's friends with a Chmerkovskiy.) It's always had weird Russian mob sounding vibes to me (even though neither Tony nor Sharna are Russian), but it is what it is. It's often a counterpoint to the Houghs (Derek, Julianne, and Mark) and/or the Mormons (Witney, Lindsay, Allison, maaaybe Lacey, etc). (At least, that's my understanding.) So there's that, too. It was the third mirrorball for their group.

I could totally be wrong, however I believed Lacey left the religion after Benji came out of the closet. I think she had other reasons of leaving that were more specific to her as well, but I'm pretty sure she no longer practices. 

Ah, did not know that. I'm a little unclear on the groups though, at least with the Mormons. In my head I usually think of them as just anyone from Utah, but it would make sense if they were actually practicing. Because otherwise that group would include Derek and Julianne, unless they're their own subset of that group because, well, Derek.

Moving from the stand alone thread (why did Tony say "three" season 20):

Maks (and Tony? I don't know if he was a "founder" or not, technically) founded Dance with Me Studios, a dance studio (duh). It's a family thing for the Chmerkovskiys - Maks, Val, and I think their dad are all a part of it. I took his "three" gesture as being that Dance with Me Studios has three mirrorball trophies - his, Maks's, and now Val's.

Peta is part of the group too especially since she and Maks are dating. Maks has said Tony is his best friend. 

Just skimmed Leah Remini's book. Wow!  She said that Tony was a great support to her and that he was followed by those cultists.  Also he and Cheryl were defriended by Kirstie Alley for becoming friends with her.  Maks was shunned too.

• Love 2