Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Groundbreaking

• Start Topic

(edited)

What am I missing? How is this the fourth time? 1. When Selina lost on Super Tuesday and then became veep (per the original opening's headlines). 2. When she ran as an appointed incumbent with Tom James and lost in the Senate. Isn't this her third run for president?

Edited by Moxie Cat
14 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

What am I missing? How is this the fourth time? 1. When Selina lost on Super Tuesday and then became veep (per the original opening's headlines). 2. When she ran as an appointed incumbent with Tom James and lost in the Senate. Isn't this her third run for president?

Maybe they are counting the most recent one as two failed elections?

1) Loss on Super Tuesday on her path to becoming Veep

2) Loss/Tie as incumbent (failed to get 270 electoral votes)

3) Loss/Tie in the House tie breaker. (Technically it was James who lost to Montez in the Senate vote)

(edited)

Fourth time for Selena:

1. When she ran before dropping out and becoming Veep.
  2. When Hughes said he wasn't going to run for a second term.   She was just about to drop out of the race because of the kerfuffle over them being caught insulting their donors on that reporter's cell phone, when Hughes quit because of his wife, and Selena became President.
  3. When she ran as the incumbent.

Loved "McClintock cervix" followed by "You got me good, Ma'am".   And when Ben asked how the girls and Big and Little Richard were doing and Selena said "How are your kids, Ben?" and he says "touche".

Thought this was one of the best episodes - after the Sudan trip and the election monitoring episodes.

Edited by sualbu
  • Love 3
On 6/26/2017 at 1:14 AM, pivot said:

Listening to Selina's speech at the end was like listening to a documentary for Hillary's last campaign...

A total savaging of Hillary's bullshit "Listening Tour" video. I am so wishing she watches this show. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Listening to Selina's speech at the end was like listening to a documentary for Hillary's last campaign...

A total savaging of Hillary's bullshit "Listening Tour" video. I am so wishing she watches this show. 

Which means that idiot Jonah will be elected, art imitating life. Yeah his bullshit ultimate insider/outsider crap is for sure Trump. I can't wait for this campaign, if losing the last election to a qualified, educated President Montez put Selina in an institution, what the hell is going to happen to her brain when she loses the presidency to moron a like Jonah?

I died laughing when she said in her speech that she wants to hear their speaking.  Hear their speaking? LOL  Yeah, that was definitely was an exaggeration because Hillary has no problems with the English language unlike Mr. Confeve.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Which means that idiot Jonah will be elected, art imitating life. Yeah his bullshit ultimate insider/outsider crap is for sure Trump.

Jonah is in the same party as Selina. So it's less Trump vs. Hillary and more Bernie vs. Hillary. Bernie also positioned himself as an outsider and republished his memoir, "Outsider in the House," as "Outsider in the White House" in 2015.

Edited by Eyes High

So it's less Trump vs. Hillary and more Bernie vs. Hillary. 

Or Trump vs. (insert other Republican nominee candidate here - Bush, Carson, Perry, Cruz, Rubio, etc.). There's a less obvious parallel between Selina and Hillary Clinton than there is between Jonah and Donald Trump, IMO. 

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Jonah is in the same party as Selina. So it's less Trump vs. Hillary and more Bernie vs. Hillary. Bernie also positioned himself as an outsider and republished his memoir, "Outsider in the House," as "Outsider in the White House" in 2015.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 

But there's no way he's an equivalent to Bernie who actually has a brain and a grasp on issues and the English language. Damn, now that I think about it, that's an insult to Bernie if Jonah is supposed to be him, he doesn't deserve that IMO.

Jonah is a real freaking fool, damn he's a idiot, LOL.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 

But there's no way he's an equivalent to Bernie who actually has a brain and a grasp on issues and the English language. Damn, now that I think about it, that's an insult to Bernie if Jonah is supposed to be him, he doesn't deserve that IMO.

Jonah is a real freaking fool, damn he's a idiot, LOL.

Yes, I meant no insult to Bernie Sanders. Jonah's aggressive ignorance and inability to put a sentence together are definitely more Trumpesque.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I died laughing when she said in her speech that she wants to hear their speaking.  Hear their speaking?

If that's the best Leon West can do, then he's no better than Mike because during Selina's previous run for president she said, "I want to hear what you see and I want to see what you feel".

• Love 3
(edited)
46 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

If that's the best Leon West can do, then he's no better than Mike because during Selina's previous run for president she said, "I want to hear what you see and I want to see what you feel".

LOL, I forgot about that, this show is a hot mess, so entertaining. I love it  because I generally feel it confirms what I already believe about most politicians. I believe they really do talk the way these people do on this show and I believed that even before the current president was elected. I really do believe that it's about power and their legacies first and foremost, they are driven to a serious fault.

So I wonder what Amy's new role is then? Because Mike isn't on the team anymore, right? Leon now has his job and he's probably better than Mike but is sabotaging Selina. He clearly hates her. But she did say that she needed to speak to Amy and Mike about their roles and when she said it, I didn't think it would be good. Cut to the end of the episode we see Mike is off the team, Leon has his old job, so I wonder what Amy's job is? Did she fire her too?

Not enough Furlong in this episode, but he never fails to hit it out of the ball park. Lord he's a horrible human being. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think that I realized what soured me a bit on this season, and that is there was waaayyy too much Selina.  I know that sounds dumb since she is the title character and JLD does a masterful job, but I got tired of her real quick and as much as I love Gary, Catherine and Marjorie and Richard Splett, I wanted to see more of some of the other characters who existed outside of her immediate orbit.  And an over abundance of downright cruel Selina on top of too much Selina just didn't work for me.   Most of the characters got their own little side stories (Jonah in Congress, Dan on TV) but they were tiny glimpses and then it was back to the Selina show.  I appreciated the glimpse into Gary, but that episode was tarnished due to how beyond selfish Selina was.  Her personality has gone from funny and biting to downright monstrous with ever diminishing returns for me.  I hope that with the band back together next season, we either get a more balanced show or that Selina gets toned down some.  There were times when I should have sympathized with her, such as finding out about her father, everything to do with awful Andrew and her sadness about Jaffar, but her treatment of Mike, Amy, Gary and Catherine (all characters on the somewhat "nicer" end of the spectrum)  prevented me from really feeling much toward her at all, again even as JLD completely sold every scene and every emotion.  She's just awful now.  Maybe she just needs an adversary as truly awful as she is and Jonah (but mostly his campaign team) are more than up for the task.  Am I making too much of this, or was she really as bad as I am remembering all season?

Against my better judgement, I am embarrassingly excited about the Dan and Amy twist  (though I am pissed that it happened offscreen), but whatever happens, I hope that Amy can get her groove back.  Between her long sleeve prarie dresses and everyone constantly belittling her looks, etc., I am ready for the Amy of the fist couple of seasons to rear her magnificent blonde head again.   I hope that the writers don't cop out with a miscarriage or an abortion (though that is really the most realistic thing that would happen), because I want to see if these two really do have any feelings for each other because its always been so vague.  Having said that, I am a little disappointed in her for sleeping with him after everything with her sister and I really would love some kind of flashback next season to see how it all went down, even if it was just a drunken hookup. If nothing else, the reactions of everyone else will be hilarious (can't wait to see Sophie lord this over both of their heads).  Maybe Dan and Amy are made for each other and the universe has proven it by allowing Amy, who forgets that she has a vagina, to get pregnant by Dan, who has such slow sperm he can't impregnate a 24 year old even with the help of science and doctors!  How romantic!

I'm sure that there are going to be comparisons/parallels to the 2016 election, just because everything is politicized these days and this is a political show after all.  But I really hope that the writers go out of their way to avoid any of the obvious storyline beats, because I can't imagine that I am the only one who has no interest in even remotely reliving that.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

A total savaging of Hillary's bullshit "Listening Tour" video. I am so wishing she watches this show. 

It's a pretty common political thing. I remember my Senator doing it 30 years ago when he ran. 

5 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Trump didn't invent politician with stupid ideas, though.  Hell, he ran against a few in the primary.

3 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I'm sure that there are going to be comparisons/parallels to the 2016 election, just because everything is politicized these days and this is a political show after all.  But I really hope that the writers go out of their way to avoid any of the obvious storyline beats, because I can't imagine that I am the only one who has no interest in even remotely reliving that.

Oh you're not.  I'm actually less worried about the writers playing it too close to reality than I am about the audience trying to "guess" the real person being parodied.  I think this show has been 100% about parodying political tropes employed by both sides of the aisle.  I recognize and see those tropes.  When I look at these characters, I don't really associate anyone with a real person. Not even Jonah. He's his special brand of special and always has been. Now had Sean Spicer existed before Mike--but alas....

This is a show that has a political map where red states are usually colored blue and blue colored red.  It has a candidate able to win a state like NY and a state like KY.  The political parties hold beliefs that don't really fit into one current political party like being "pro-choice" and "anti-climate change"...etc. (Not real examples, too lazy to look them up).  So unless they change their mission, any similarity to real people will be more likely be due to their relationship to the trope the show is parodying than the show's intention to parody them.

• Love 3

With Selina's aggressive personality, it's kind of surprising that she doesn't sexually harass Dan or some other younger male staffer.

kind of like how Dan's TV boss did.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't think Selina would sexually harass anyone on her staff simply because she thinks none of them are hot enough to deserve her sexual attention.

Or rich enough.  Also, Selina likes sex, but has a need to be seen as desirable and young.  The cliche of a cougar preying on younger men would be repulsive to her.

15 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I think that I realized what soured me a bit on this season, and that is there was waaayyy too much Selina.  I know that sounds dumb since she is the title character and JLD does a masterful job, but I got tired of her real quick and as much as I love Gary, Catherine and Marjorie and Richard Splett, I wanted to see more of some of the other characters who existed outside of her immediate orbit.  And an over abundance of downright cruel Selina on top of too much Selina just didn't work for me.   Most of the characters got their own little side stories (Jonah in Congress, Dan on TV) but they were tiny glimpses and then it was back to the Selina show.  I appreciated the glimpse into Gary, but that episode was tarnished due to how beyond selfish Selina was.  Her personality has gone from funny and biting to downright monstrous with ever diminishing returns for me.  I hope that with the band back together next season, we either get a more balanced show or that Selina gets toned down some.  There were times when I should have sympathized with her, such as finding out about her father, everything to do with awful Andrew and her sadness about Jaffar, but her treatment of Mike, Amy, Gary and Catherine (all characters on the somewhat "nicer" end of the spectrum)  prevented me from really feeling much toward her at all, again even as JLD completely sold every scene and every emotion.  She's just awful now.  Maybe she just needs an adversary as truly awful as she is and Jonah (but mostly his campaign team) are more than up for the task.  Am I making too much of this, or was she really as bad as I am remembering all season?

Against my better judgement, I am embarrassingly excited about the Dan and Amy twist  (though I am pissed that it happened offscreen), but whatever happens, I hope that Amy can get her groove back.  Between her long sleeve prarie dresses and everyone constantly belittling her looks, etc., I am ready for the Amy of the fist couple of seasons to rear her magnificent blonde head again.   I hope that the writers don't cop out with a miscarriage or an abortion (though that is really the most realistic thing that would happen), because I want to see if these two really do have any feelings for each other because its always been so vague.  Having said that, I am a little disappointed in her for sleeping with him after everything with her sister and I really would love some kind of flashback next season to see how it all went down, even if it was just a drunken hookup. If nothing else, the reactions of everyone else will be hilarious (can't wait to see Sophie lord this over both of their heads).  Maybe Dan and Amy are made for each other and the universe has proven it by allowing Amy, who forgets that she has a vagina, to get pregnant by Dan, who has such slow sperm he can't impregnate a 24 year old even with the help of science and doctors!  How romantic!

I agree with everything you said.  Why does a woman who has no desire for marriage always have to be painted as undesirable and frigid?  Of course everyone is horrible on this show except for Richard.    

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Cut to the end of the episode we see Mike is off the team, Leon has his old job, so I wonder what Amy's job is? Did she fire her too?

I thought when Selina wanted to talk to Mike and Amy, she was going to give them the boot.  It was obvious with Mike after seeing him teach, less obvious with Amy.

(edited)
34 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I agree with everything you said.  Why does a woman who has no desire for marriage always have to be painted as undesirable and frigid?  Of course everyone is horrible on this show except for Richard.    

I'm with you on this but I don't think about it when it comes to this show because all of these folks are horrible and this is comedy.  But they pull this shit on dramas and I'm over it, they need to stop. However, when I see commentary on how mean Selina has become and that one can't empathize with her at all anymore, that doesn't register for me, because I don't necessarily see any of these characters as people I'm suppose to be empathizing with. I'm suppose to be cracking up at things that I really shouldn't find funny, not looking for a way to relate to any of these folks. I don't think I'm suppose to expect character growth from these people, because where's the funny in that?

That's why I liked Seinfeld so much, they never grew up and figured early on that they never would, they were idiots.  Then finally, their anti-social behavior landed their asses in jail and I laughed at those four idiots from the beginning to the end. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6

Yes, I meant no insult to Bernie Sanders. Jonah's aggressive ignorance and inability to put a sentence together are definitely more Trumpesque.

Trump versus Michelle Bachman maybe? But at the end of the day, I still feel like what they're going for is a rather obvious parody of Trump versus Hillary. Not in the sense that each are the nominees of their respective party and running against each other for President, but in the sense that they are now campaign rivals where one is seen as damaged goods with way too much baggage and the other is a buffoonish clown. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought when Selina wanted to talk to Mike and Amy, she was going to give them the boot.  It was obvious with Mike after seeing him teach, less obvious with Amy.

Selina took Amy into her office where Ben, Kent and Dan were waiting. Mike was already there and Selina's first question was who cc-ed Mike. So, I assumed she had plans to keep Amy on and brief her about it, and just took the opportunity of Mike being there to sack him.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, bijoux said:

Selina took Amy into her office where Ben, Kent and Dan were waiting. Mike was already there and Selina's first question was who cc-ed Mike. So, I assumed she had plans to keep Amy on and brief her about it, and just took the opportunity of Mike being there to sack him.

In  a sort of roundabout way, if it wasn't for Mike's diary Selina would not be enjoying her current spot in the limelight.

• Love 3

I know Sufe Bradshaw had other stuff going on, but I wish they would have at least mentioned Sue once this season. Actually, I wish it would have been a running joke in which different characters mentioned an awesome thing Sue was doing in every episode, thus showing that Sue's life was way more successful, fulfilling, and interesting than any of theirs.

Whenever they mention Montez, I can't help but say out loud "Low-ra." Just me? It's just so fun, especially if you roll the r a little.

On June 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM, sugarbaker design said:

She definitely said to Mike AND Amy that they were going to have to talk about their roles. We didn't see enough of Amy after that to know what she meant, and Amy was with the gang at the ending speech as usual. I wondered about that too.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2017 at 2:53 PM, iMonrey said:

Or Trump vs. (insert other Republican nominee candidate here - Bush, Carson, Perry, Cruz, Rubio, etc.). There's a less obvious parallel between Selina and Hillary Clinton than there is between Jonah and Donald Trump, IMO. 

Well Selina is more accomplished than Hillary and is surrounded by smarter staffers but otherwise it is a completely obvious comparison. Both have 1 daughter who is basically over-educated and drippy. Both have/had cheating husbands.

On 6/29/2017 at 8:54 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I think Amy is not getting the top campaign role again. Selina is going to bring in someone from the outside.

And I wish that Amy from earlier in the show would be back. The one who was actually great at her job. 

• Love 1

Did Selina fire Mike at some point? If not, why did Leon write her speech? Confused, there.

Can Andrew be just a distant memory, now? He's so fucking gross.

Nooo, Jafar was so beautiful, smart, and honest with Selina! I want him back! Best man she's coupled with, bar none (unless he turns out to be a baddie, then I rescind my vote, heh).

I can see Dan bolting the second parenting becomes reality. Amy as a mom? There is no way I see that happening unless maybe Catherine and Amy bond over mom-to-be sites.

Yay for bailing on the labiabrary, but I do think Selina overstepped in naming her grandson. That really should have gone to the mothers.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Willowy said:

Did Selina fire Mike at some point? If not, why did Leon write her speech? Confused, there.

I think that's exactly what was implied when Leon was part of the posse, giving Selina the speech, while Mike was teaching adult night school.

• Love 1

There are a lot of jokes that some of us don't get. I didn't know that is what Richard was doing, I thought it was the KKK reference but normally he doesn't notice racial tension so the S&B joke makes more sense.

I'm 47 and the "slow down there Catherine Kinte" would go right over younger viewers heads. That's just how the show works.

I love Jaffer. He's funny and he gets Selina. He and Ben are the only people I have seen Selina tolerate or listen to. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking about Selina being self absorbed etc, I watched a Seinfeld commentary once, the episode when she gets trapped under the bike and Jerry just rudely ignores helping her, they joked that the selfishness of a character is always funny (but Jerry still remained likable even when he being a jerk.) She was like that in New Christine also. It's part of the comedy. 

I always thought Hillary Clinton had Chelsea for political reasons, so she can say she's a mom. That's what Selina did, the token one kid.

Hillary has never striked me as being interested in little kids, diapers, PTA, t-ball etc. Probably closer to her now as an adult and I certainly doubt Chelsea is as insufferable as Catherine Meyer. 

Cher publically said her daughter's transformation broke her heart (because you grieve the daughter you lose, I understood that) but Selina doesn't even care what Catherine does, who she dates, what her major in college is, if she has a baby, etc. That's a huge change to a family but not Selina.

Unless Catherine's actions hurt her publicly she doesn't care what she does or the opposite exploits her daughters life decisions for good publicity. And they all take it. 

Blaming Amy publicly for the library, next scene, Amy right beside her, taking it once again. 

"Mclintock Cervix" awesome

Edited by Stephanie1216
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hillary has never striked me as being interested in little kids, diapers, PTA, t-ball etc. 

Why doesn't anyone ever make this complaint about men/fathers?

FYI - just because you're a parent doesn't mean you have to actively enjoy poop-filled diapers, dealing with other parents at PTA meetings, or watching children's flailing attempts at sports. You can still love your child without enjoying any of those things. Think of all the generations of fathers who never once changed a dirty diaper, attended a single PTA meeting, or showed up to their kids' ballet recitals/soccer games. They probably still loved their children. Just because you have a vagina doesn't mean you're required to want to do those things if you have a kid. And think of all the wealthy society women over the decades who also never did any of those things because they left their children in the care of the nurses/nannies. They probably still loved their children too.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hillary has never striked me as being interested in little kids, diapers, PTA, t-ball etc. 

Why doesn't anyone ever make this complaint about men/fathers?

I don't have children, and I probably don't think I will because it took me longer to get where I am in life comparatively, so I can't speak as a parent, but this strikes me as an overly harsh judgement on Clinton. Given that Chelsea Clinton had to basically spend her teen years in the White House, it seems like she turned out to be a well adjusted young woman. Just because a woman is career minded doesn't mean she isn't a good parent. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be with someone who wasn't. 

• Love 6

I don't see a general topic for this show so I am putting my opinion here. I just watched the first 2 seasons and I love the show but the whole insult Jonah thing is really getting on my nerves. Especially when it's the guys going back and forth insulting each other with these clever dick, cock, and shit jabs which no one would come up with on their own ie - a writer spent time coming up with these long-winded insults, like "if a bunch of dicks were shit out of an elephants ass, that would be you". I don't why such great writers think that we enjoy this kind of thing. It's just constant and dumb. Do men really act like this?