Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Quicksand

• Start Topic

I was talking with a friend about it ( I got her in to watching it and she binged all three shows yesterday) and she brought up some good points about Roller and Desna. She felt like he wasn't dead the whole time but couldn't figure out why he'd stay missing and that he's smarter than he pretends to be; that the person he pretended to be was not smart enough to handle all the drug reps and keep that clinic off the cops radar. Also, the bag his body was in was covered in foil and he was only shot in the shoulder. Plus Roller seemed smarter when dealing with uncle daddy in the first episode esp when talking about Desna bonus. Then all the sudden he is some dumb thug. She has an interesting theory on where Virginia fits in - that she is undercover & Desna caught on to it - and I'll be curious if she's right. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, topanga said:

And why does Mandy have so much control over Desna's ability to open a salon in a nicer neighborhood? 

I can't see what her job is, but maybe she's a real estate agent who specializes in nail salons?

9 hours ago, LAgator77 said:

Desna had to drive down a dirt road (the same dirt road?) to get to both the convenience store and She She's... Um Florida has paved roads y'all. 

Yeah, it was the same road -- which confused me too.  Continuity error?

Finally caught up on this show. Looks like a fun, summer series. I imagine the cast is having a lot of fun filming. I agree with everyone about Desna's weave but it looked a lot better at the funeral and the social scene with the real estate agent and her friends. 

(edited)

OK, I've concluded that the guy in her room is not Roller. I went back and looked at Roller at the pool and the tattoos on his upper body are different from the tattoos that guy has that showed up in her room. Not only that, he has more hair on his head and face than Roller, and his hair is darker. I don't know who the hell he is but clearly he's been in Desna's life with all that I missed you baby girl and she saying she missed him so much, but I definitely don't think that's Roller. Well that's the same actor playing someone other than Roller. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

What is the time table of when Roller went missing. was then presumed dead + his funeral, and finally the scene in Desna's room?

I feel like it was stated on the show but I don't remember specifically. 

2 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

OK, I've concluded that the guy in her room is not Roller. I went back and looked at Roller at the pool and the tattoos on his upper body are different from the tattoos that guy has that showed up in her room.

I was going to check the tats, as that would be a certain indicator one way or the other.  Thanks -- I think we can be fairly sure that it's not Roller (or a dream/hallucination,as Desna would create the tats for those).

29 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I was going to check the tats, as that would be a certain indicator one way or the other.  Thanks -- I think we can be fairly sure that it's not Roller (or a dream/hallucination,as Desna would create the tats for those).

Particularly on his left upper arm, Roller did not have a tattoo there. He had tattoos on his inner/upper arms, both of them. Even in the picture of him that they used for the funeral, you can see his upper left arm pretty clearly because he's leaning left and the tattoo that this guy has, Roller did not have.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Particularly on his left upper arm, Roller did not have a tattoo there. He had tattoos on his inner/upper arms, both of them. Even in the picture of him that they used for the funeral, you can see his upper left arm pretty clearly because he's leaning left and the tattoo that this guy has, Roller did not have.

Are you talking about the "RIP" tattoo? If so, that's on the underside/backside of his upper arm, and Roller did have that tattoo. You can't see it in the portrait, but you can see it when he gets up from assaulting Virginia and is putting his clothes on.

I love all the theories, though. I was pretty sure Roller was dead-dead and all this was a hallucination -- didn't the season preview show him sweeping in the salon, kind of taunting Desna? But then, why go through all the trouble the show's gone through so far? I get that they need viewers to keep tuning in but one can only suspend disbelief for so long. The non-lethal shot, the mysterious other body in the boat (I don't recall the officer mentioning a 2nd body when giving Uncle Daddy the rundown), the shot of the boat on fire as it starts raining (that seemed a little pointed, didn't it? I'm not imagining it?). Just seems a long way to go just to end up with the most obvious answer.

At any rate, I love Niecy Nash and I love this damn show.

2 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

No, the guy has a tattoo on his upper/outer left arm that Roller did not have. You can see very clearly when he climbs on the bed over Desna. Roller did not have a tat there. 

I can't screenshot it to show you, but that's the same tattoo Roller has. Roller has 2 tattoos on his upper left arm:  one on the inside, and one on the outside that says "RIP" in shitty Old English script. Again, you can clearly see the "RIP" both in the premiere when he's putting his clothes back on after the Virginia assault and in Episode 3 when he climbs into bed with Desna. The makeup team covered up a few of the actor's more egregious tattoos but did not cover up his left arm tattoos in either of those scenes.

Good tattoo catch, Link417. I was working off my friend's con theory as well as my own belief that this show being noir means things will not always as they may appear to be. This show has layers on top of its superficial outlandishness and I love it. 

Roller wouldn't be the first character from a pilot episode who was killed and brought back to life. In this case since the police theory was the gators got the body and the buzz about him I am guessing if it is not clear by the end of this season because it has already been filmed he will be around next season.

Based on what's been said thus far, I'm slightly more confused. So, was Desna hallucinating? Was this person really Roller? Some of you have spoken of some variation with the tattoos. Is this to imply that this person is someone other than Roller?

(edited)

In this case since the police theory was the gators got the body

Plus the cops have no idea, even if body parts were found, that there was already a dead body on the boat before the bag with Roller was put on it. And Virginia wasn't able to actually put his grill in his mouth and just left it on him.

Syndicate, that's the current debate... if Desna is hallucinating or if Roller is actually alive.

It's ambiguous at this point (though I think he actually is alive) so folks are looking for clues to answer if Roller is alive or if it's all in Desna's mind. The tattoos matching / not matching is one argument in the debate. The Claws writers' account has tweeted that by the start of ep 4,

Spoiler

it will have been several weeks since Roller went missing.  Another buddy of mine I roped in to watching the show thought it was interesting that they used that particular word. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
adding more
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Plus the cops have no idea, even if body parts were found, that there was already a dead body on the boat before the bag with Roller was put on it. And Virginia wasn't able to actually put his grill in his mouth and just left it on him.

Syndicate, that's the current debate... if Desna is hallucinating or if Roller is actually alive.

It's ambiguous at this point (though I think he actually is alive) so folks are looking for clues to answer if Roller is alive or if it's all in Desna's mind. The tattoos matching / not matching is one argument in the debate. The Claws writers' account has tweeted that by the start of ep 4,

Hide contents

it will have been several weeks since Roller went missing.  Another buddy of mine I roped in to watching the show thought it was interesting that they used that particular word. 

But is it reasonable to not even see a little bandage on his shoulder after several weeks? The guy in her room had no bandages, I didn't even see a scar. Maybe the bullet when under his arm so it's harder to see the scarring.  Well, that hair definitely grew out on his head and face and it got darker too. Heck, he looked like he got even more muscular as well.

Edited by Keepitmoving
18 hours ago, link417 said:

I love all the theories, though. I was pretty sure Roller was dead-dead and all this was a hallucination -- didn't the season preview show him sweeping in the salon, kind of taunting Desna? But then, why go through all the trouble the show's gone through so far? I

I had forgotten about this. It definitely supports my opinion that he was a hallucination.

2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

You mean the moment in this preview clip? Cause that was a moment in ep 1 (and he's whistling at Polly going by the hair color).

If not that clip, can you link what you're talking about? I'm curious. 

I mean this moment in the "This Season on Claws" clip. Though looking at it now, it seems like he's in Desna's house and not the salon? And (at least in this clip) it's framed as a nightmare instead of a hallucination so it doesn't really help answer the hallucination vs. real boy question after all . . . My bad!

Considering who he is and his lifestyle, Roller has an amazing absence of tattoos.  This is about as good as I can get of the one he has -- they look close to me...roller.jpg.311984d89883e91f076ecbbf75626fe3.jpg

You're welcome.

• Love 3