Type keyword(s) to search

Grandpa and Grandma: Old Man and Old Darling

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't like Grandpa. He had his moments, but most of the time I could do without him.

I loved Grandma though. I could never figure out why she couldn't write things down after coming back from her stroke rather than struggling to speak. She was writing in that journal after all.

And why does Grandpa always call out "Lisabeth, Lisabeth" whenever he gets home? Why not John or Livvie or anybody else. "Lisabeth" is the last one I'd call, except for maybe MaryEllen.

I wouldn't want "Lisabeth" on my team but the episode where Livvie gets all bent out if shape over Grandpa taking Elizabeth fishing, etc. really bugs me. Why not just let her have fun with Grandpa while he's still around and able to get around. There was plenty of time for Elisabeth to start wearing dresses and to do "girl" stuff.

I always thought they left a LOT of stuff unsaid between the two characters- like once how Esther said she's borne 'THREE babies' yet only John was the only evidently living offspring and his brother Ben had volunteered for WWI against Zeb's wishes only to be killed so what was the fate of their THIRD child? The closest clue  given was that once Elizabeth or another grandchild happened upon a picture in the attic and Zeb said in a choked voice that that was 'Amy'. Was Amy their daughter and, if so, what happened to her? Oddly, neither Zeb nor Esther ever got upset at the Godseys' adoptive daughter being named 'Aimee'.

Also, was Esther related to Martha Corinne besides being her sister-in-law through Zeb? I seem to recall them having the same maiden name of Tyler [and it was hardly unheard of for brothers to marry two girls from the same family].

I also remember, when Grandpa was having JohnBoy look in his trunk for a letter that had been typed, they pulled out a picture of an Amy. Grandpa said she died of influenza I think.

All I remember about Martha Corinne was that her husband Henry was Grandpa's eldest brother.

Grandma was the nicest of Irene Dunne's sisters in I Remember Mama, a movie I love.

Grandma was the best. I dream of living long enough to be a cantankerous old woman that everyone still loves and is usually right anyway. Only without all the manual labor and religion.

• Love 2

Grandma was the nicest of Irene Dunne's sisters in I Remember Mama, a movie I love.

Grandma was the best. I dream of living long enough to be a cantankerous old woman that everyone still loves and is usually right anyway. Only without all the manual labor and religion.

Me too. The only time I didn't like her was when she was so mean to Martha Corinne in The Pony Cart.

Fun Fact: In the grandparents' bedroom we sometimes see a framed photo of Young Esther. That's actually a promotional photo of Ellen Corby from I Remember Mama.

Not to dispute the late Mr. Geer's and Miss Corby's possible gayness, but both of them DID get married (and Mr. Geer did have quite a few children) so its possible that one or both were bisexual rather than strictly gay.  No, this is not something I would have imagined to have been the case for the Walton Grandparents but that just goes to show what great actors they were.

• Love 1

I love the one scene where Grandma is mad about something the new minister was doing and she looked at him and said, "I'll turn Methodist." LOL! That's when you knew she was serious. And Grandpa reminded me A LOT of my own Grandpa, so for me, no, he doesn't smell. He isn't annoying. He's just fun and brings me happiness.

• Love 3