Type keyword(s) to search

The O.C. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've been rewatching the whole series. I remember a lot of criticism over seasons two and three, but they've held up surprisingly well. I especially love the number of scenes of the four kids just hanging out in season three, and I think Ryan and Summer both go through some good character development in those seasons.

That being said, seasons one and four are still my favorites. 

• Love 4

I remember liking some of season two because Ryan got a love interest that wasn't Marissa and he was happy. I adored Ryan so it made me happy to see him happy.

In general, I'd rank season One and Four as my favourites, followed by Two a couple steps behind, and way South in the Antarctic is Three. The whole Johnny, Marissa and Trey plots really annoyed me.

• Love 1

I think season  1 & 2 hold up really well. In retrospect,  the season 3 finale minues Marissa being killed could of served as a series finale and I would of been happy with it. Even when I watch it now the first 45 minutes has a series finale tone to it not a season finale tone.

I did a rewatch recently. I still love season one. I loved the initial Seth/Ryan/Marissa dynamic, especially in "The Model Home" before everything went to shit. They were actually laughing and teasing each other and having fun. I liked it when Summer got brought into the group, too; "The Escape" (again, before things went to shit) is still one of my favorites. I always like road trip episodes. Also, a lot more stuff happened in season one than I remembered -- it had the whole Oliver story line (which I enjoyed more now than I did when it first aired; he was just a delightfully cartoony villain), stupid Theresa and her stupid pregnancy, and Caleb and Julie's relationship and marriage. It was a fast-paced, generally fun, soapy first season, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Season two had a lot more crap than I remembered. I liked Lindsey and Alex, but I couldn't stand the Zach/Summer/Seth triangle, and the whole thing with Rebecca and Sandy was just a snoozefest. 

Season three... ugh at the Newport Union story line and everyone involved in it. Words cannot express how little I cared about what happened to Johnny. I liked Kaitlin, and I liked Taylor Townsend more this time than I did initially, but she still got on my nerves (she was too over-the-top, too stalkery with Ryan, just too strident and irritating in general. She always seemed like a less-likable Paris Geller to me). I am still, all these years later, angry that the writers killed Marissa when she was being written off anyway. They never let that girl have any fun or any long-term happiness after early season one, and killing her when she was going to leave and be happy with her dad was just a slap in the face to her (approximately) five fans.

Season four was... season four. Too much Taylor. Too much Frank. Way too much Che. I liked the finale, though.

• Love 3

[Taylor Townsend] (she was too over-the-top, too stalkery with Ryan, just too strident and irritating in general. She always seemed like a less-likable Paris Geller to me).

That's so funny, that was exactly what I thought about her.

• Love 2
(edited)

Aw, I liked Taylor (in season 4). She and Ryan were sweet together, and Ryan having to deal with her neuroses was a nice step up from all of Marissa's problems, and she brought a lightness to Ryan when he really needed it. She's very Paris Gellar, but a kinder, caring (admittedly less funny) Paris Gellar.

I just watched the finale, which is a really great hour of television. I love the way the fourth season cements the Cohen-Atwood-Cooper-Robertson family. I think they used Marissa's death to bring the other characters together and create new stories in a way they couldn't have had she lived. It added a lot of depth for Ryan, Summer and Julie. Ryan and Julie worry about what the other will go through if Julie and Frank become a couple. She tried to frame him for attempted murder and sent him on a crazy revenge murder mission and he still thinks she deserves better than Frank Atwood. She finally admits she's put that kid through enough and can't do anything else to hurt him.

There's other bits of character development I really like about season four, like Seth becoming less selfish and helping Ryan come back to the family, making sure he doesn't kill Volchok, and rescuing him in "Night Moves" (stupidity that made the situation worse aside). Then he tells Summer she needs to go save the world and trusts in their relationship to last through it. Julie decides to get her degree instead of depending on yet another marriage for support, with Bullit and Frank still cheering her on on graduation day. 

The family tree on The OC rivals the one from Once Upon a Time, but by the finale they have all formed this strange, beautiful, supportive blended family that all began because Sandy brought Ryan home.

Plus, I never realized that Jeff from Chuck was the weird homeless guy Seth gives the Range Rover to. Josh Schwartz must just love that actor.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 4

I've been doing a re-watch of The OC - and following along over at TWoP to see what everyone thought the first time around (including my own comments from back then).  I came here hoping to see a thread and YAY!

Season 1 will forever remain my favourite, there isn't a thing I would change. Seasons 2 & 3 still had the same flaws for me (Johnny/Charlotte), but overall I could watch them again in a heartbeat. I haven't hit season 4 yet, but I remember how heartbreaking it all was.

I find myself getting teary during particularily emotional scenes and I am still upset that it was canceled so soon.  I wish I had more... one more season, one more episode, more from their futures.  I'm not sure I'll ever forgive FOX for this one. 

• Love 1

They have GOT to make a "Behind the Scenes" special on this show.... 

Ex OC guest speaks out

I take this with a grain of salt, since Cam Gigandet seems kind of assy himself, and his biggest claims to fame are being a Vampire in "Twilight", and getting naked in "Burlesque".

(Though I gotta say, I can kinda see Ben Mckenzie being a bit of an ass, too...)

He sounds supremely assy in those quotes. I have a hard time believing Ben is that much of an ass, and he keeps his head down. How is that he said Ben is an ass then say he loves him?

I can believe the actors weren't happy at the time especially since it was S3.

Cam has been saying it for years about the cast being over "The O.C." during season 3. As much as I love the The O.C. I can believe it here are 4 actors in their 20s or in Mischa's case she was a teenager who were given a lot of fame very fast. Except for Mischa I don't remember seeing the other 3 in the tabloids except for pictures of Adam and Rachel together which is why I don't mind the allegations.

(edited)

I don't think it's any secret that the "main four" were miserable after the first season, and they were all so young, so I don't doubt some of them became hard to work with. Even Tate Donovan said as much on Watch What Happens last year, he mentioned how some of the kids would read up on the "Johnny Depp/21 Jump Street" handbook and try to get themselves fired from the show so they could be free to do other things. So I don't doubt Cam Giganet's story at all. Although I'm personally torn between thinking it's a dick move to call out your former colleagues versus LIVING for any behind-the-scenes OC goss I can get!

As for him not mentioning Adam, I wouldn't take too much comfort in that thought since I don't believe they even shared many scenes together. He mainly worked with Ben and Mischa, which makes his shade towards the latter equal parts amusing and douchey.

Edited by bootycall

I don't think it's that suspicious. The only times an actor is going to get questions like this is when they're promoting something. Otherwise why else would they be talking to the media?

• Love 1

Ranking the seasons, from best to worst:

1 - Lots of fun, and just a great soap overall

4 - Doesn't quite hit the highs of season 1, but still good fun

2 - Hit or miss

3 - Alternates between boring and just plain bad

• Love 4

This is the place to safely confess opinions about the OC that you've found to be relatively unpopular or just odd :) A few of mine:

1) The fourth and final season---not the first!---is my very favorite. I just love it so, so much. 

2) On a slightly related note, I absolutely ADORE Taylor Townsend, and Ryan/Taylor was actually my favorite of the show's younger couples. 

3) I hate, hate, HATED everything about Kirsten's alcoholism. I get why many thought it was poignant and well acted, but I can't even rewatch those scenes. 

4) I never loved Summer/Seth as much as most. I'm not a big fan of 'total opposites have nothing in common and bicker constantly but are supposed to be soulmates!' thing in general :) 

5) I loved Che, in large part because he's played by Chris Pratt...have I mentioned that I adore that fourth season?! 

6) Even more than either boy's relationship with Sandy, Seth/Ryan was always the soul of the show for me and still one of my favorite friendships/sibling relationships of all time 

• Love 5

I loved Ryan so whenever the focus was not on him, I was a bit bored. A lot of girls I knew at the time loved Seth, but it was always about Ryan for me. I would have been on board with Ryan/Summer, but I really liked Ryan/Taylor.

• Love 3

I remember really liking Lindsay, Ryan's girlfriend slash Kirsten's half sister.

3) I hate, hate, HATED everything about Kirsten's alcoholism. I get why many thought it was poignant and well acted, but I can't even rewatch those scenes.

What I hated about it - and this sounds horrible - was that because she was an alcoholic, no more Kirsten getting drunk scenes.  Remember when she got super sloshed during that season 1 Thanksgiving?  That was hilarious.

• Love 7
(edited)

I love Pratt, but Che was annoying. Loved TT. Why didn't they cast her earlier? Marissa was a drag from the beginning and MB was a lame actress.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 1

LOVED every single Ryan girlfriend, EXCEPT for Marissa and Theresa. I thought the chemistry between Ben and Autumn was palpably playful and sexy, and he had some nice chemistry with Nikki Reed as well. 

Is loving Taylor Townsend unpopular? From what I gather around the interwebs, I've seen more love for her than hate. Anyways, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED her, and Autumn Reeser is delightful. 

• Love 4

I went to this, and the nostalgia cup runneth over. Autumn was the only original cast member that was a part of this. Melinda, Kelly, Rachel, Josh, Stephanie, JJ Philban, and Michael Cassidy were all in the audience. I was a row behind Melinda...watching Melinda watch Autumn play Julie Cooper was meta glory. The musical covered the pilot episode only, but at the end they had a "next time on The OC" bit where they flash fowarded through the rest of the series and Autumn stepped back into the Taylor role and reeacted this famous line from "The Summer Bummer": 

Well, what if I did? Hm? What if I did rent a homosexual for the evening and pay him with rare collectibles from Asian cinema? What difference does it make to you?

That was a great moment to watch, and of course it drew a hysterical applause. 

• Love 3

LOVED every single Ryan girlfriend, EXCEPT for Marissa and Theresa. I thought the chemistry between Ben and Autumn was palpably playful and sexy, and he had some nice chemistry with Nikki Reed as well. 

Is loving Taylor Townsend unpopular? From what I gather around the interwebs, I've seen more love for her than hate. Anyways, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED her, and Autumn Reeser is delightful. 

I loved Autumn/Taylor. Heck, I've watched stuff just because I knew she'd be in it. She's got charisma, talent and had chemistry with the cast. Mischa was a drag.

I loved Autumn/Taylor. Heck, I've watched stuff just because I knew she'd be in it. She's got charisma, talent and had chemistry with the cast. Mischa was a drag.

You guys have given me the courage to admit just how obsessed I am (yes, still!) with Taylor and Ryan/Taylor. They were definitely my favorite couple, or at least tied with the admittedly incomparable Sandy/Kirsten. 

Other UOs:

1) I'm not the biggest Seth/Summer fan. Perpetually bickering opposites who have nothing in common and annoy each other constantly in the name of 'chemistry' is one of my least favorite tropes, and they weren't really an exception despite a few cute moments.  In fact...

2) I'm that one fan who was hoping Seth would end up with Anna back in S1 :) 

3) I actually like the Oliver episodes. 

4) I feel like S1 and S4 are the only two seasons of the show worth watching. 

5) S4 is my very favorite---even more than S1, due in no small part to that aforementioned obsession with Taylor :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

You guys have given me the courage to admit just how obsessed I am (yes, still!) with Taylor and Ryan/Taylor. They were definitely my favorite couple, or at least tied with the admittedly incomparable Sandy/Kirsten. 

Other UOs:

1) I'm not the biggest Seth/Summer fan. Perpetually bickering opposites who have nothing in common and annoy each other constantly in the name of 'chemistry' is one of my least favorite tropes, and they weren't really an exception despite a few cute moments.  In fact...

2) I'm that one fan who was hoping Seth would end up with Anna back in S1 :) 

3) I actually like the Oliver episodes. 

4) I feel like S1 and S4 are the only two seasons of the show worth watching. 

5) S4 is my very favorite---even more than S1, due in no small part to that aforementioned obsession with Taylor :) 

I liked Anna, but just not as a romantic rival for Seth and I like the actress on her own as well. Ugh. Hated Oliver though. LOL *Another* guy who inexplicably falls at Marissa's feet?  

• Love 1

They are rerunning the show now on a channel called Poptv for those who have it. Watching the pilot right now, forgot how much I loved it. Sometimes I really miss this show. 

Also, remember when the Coopers had a dog?

Edited by WhosThatGirl

Happy to see this is on tv again. Watching first episode again, and I still love Ryan and Seth's friendship. You wouldn't think they'd hit it off, but it just works.

I actually liked Taylor in season 4. She did bring out Ryan's lighter side. And I couldn't stand Marissa and the actress (mind is drawing a blank of her name).

Just saw waiter at fashion show was also owner of the Cohen's house that they ended up buying back from in season 4.

Edited by KLJ
  • Love 2

I'm watching on hulu now.  I watched the first season when it was on but didn't get far past that I don't think.  I just finished season 2 and was surprisingly moved by the finale.  As dramatic as it was, I cried a bit.  My heart just broke for Ryan when he found out what Trey did.

• Love 5
(edited)
On July 30, 2015 at 0:13 PM, TeeVee329 said:

I remember really liking Lindsay, Ryan's girlfriend slash Kirsten's half sister.

What I hated about it - and this sounds horrible - was that because she was an alcoholic, no more Kirsten getting drunk scenes.  Remember when she got super sloshed during that season 1 Thanksgiving?  That was hilarious.

I actually liked Ryan best with Lindsay. She brought out a great side of him. I also kind of wanted Ryan with Anna. 

I also missed drunk Kirsten, and actually question whether she actually was an alcoholic or someone who had an alcohol abuse problem. Her alcoholic arc was, what, a few months? Idk, maybe I am wrong, but it seemed very rushed.

I liked Marissa best when she was on downward spirals.

Seth was a million times whinier than Marissa ever was.

Edited by Janet Snakehole

From HuffPo:

Seth Cohen, The Manic Pixie Jew Boy

How I discovered my quirky boyfriend of 14 years was actually a Hebrew hologram.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a term that film critic Nathan Rabin coined and later regretted. Manic Pixie Jew Boy is a term I just made up.

Specifically, it came to mind as I was frantically putting on lipstick before rushing to work to see Adam Brody give an interview about his upcoming TV show. But really, I was putting on lipstick before rushing to work to finally meet Seth Cohen, “The O.C.’s” adorkable sidekick and my quirky Jewish boyfriend since I was 13.

Interesting. I always thought of Seth as creator Josh Schwartz's stand in for himself. I also think Schwartz' later show Chuck was "What if Seth Cohen got involved in espionage?" the way Alias began with J.J. Abrams wondering  "What if Felicity was a secret agent?"

• Love 1

I liked both Taylor and Nikki as matches for Ryan, anything but Marissa, honestly. Of course the popular opinion is that the show took a nosedive after they killed off Marissa, but at least it allowed for some fresh plots. Marissa was boring and depressing IMO.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2015 at 2:46 PM, Athena said:

I loved Ryan so whenever the focus was not on him, I was a bit bored. A lot of girls I knew at the time loved Seth, but it was always about Ryan for me. I would have been on board with Ryan/Summer, but I really liked Ryan/Taylor.

I think Ryan and Summer actually could have been an interesting ship and a nice change of pace for Ryan. He wouldn't have to constantly save Summer. And Lord knows Ryan would have treated her better than Seth did (and this is coming from a die hard Seth/Summer shipper.)  But, if the show had went this direction I think it might have done better. The constant back and forth of Marissa and Ryan and putting two really messed up characters together caused for a lot of excess drama.

• Love 1

I like Seth but I always preferred Ryan and found him much more interesting. He's actually a pretty complex character. 

I found Seth very witty and he has some awesome lines and legendary reaction shots but Ryan, Summer, Taylor and Julie had very funny moments too. 

• Love 3