Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

And thats why you dont cut in line at the bathroom!

A Villanelle going off the rails might actually be scarier than a normal Villanelle who is just cheerfully killing people. While Villanelle probably can appreciate killing people in super dramatic ways, she is clearly bored and twitchy without her cat and mouse games. She did look super amazing this week, even more than usual! Must be making up for those horrible outfits she was forced to wear for the first few episode. 

Konstantin really does need to let Villanelle update his wardrobe. Like, the wall fell dude, you can buy some new outfits.

Eve gets closer and closer to fully realizing how into this whole thing she is. Honestly, security around their house is a super good idea. 

• Love 13

Jodie Comer is clearly an amazing actress, but I think it has to be said that one of the reasons to watch Killing Eve is just to be able to look at her. My God, but she's a work of art.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 19

Of all the awful things Villanelle does, the thing that made me full-body cringe was the shouting in the museum. Oh!! How could she?!?  (Yes, this says way more about me than it does about V or the show. I accept this.)

I'm picturing the director with Zoe Wanamaker (C's boss): yes, sure, let's do a take, no 'out-there' is too far this time, 'kay? And then the fabulous textural contrast with Shaw's frosty-bored calm response. Oh yes, ho-hum all in hand. That's spectacular structure.

Glad to see V back in fancy clothes again. I'm happier when I'm coveting all the wardrobes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Villanelle is totally going to kill Hugo if/when she discovers he made a move on Eve, right?

I still think Nico is going to die, but I don’t see Villanelle being the murderer at this point. She’s smart enough to sense that it’s better for her on a number of levels if Eve leaves Nico of her own free will. (And/or if he dies at someone else’s hand—maybe Eve will get enraged enough to ask Villanelle for help in killing whoever killed Nico?)

Asshole son is an asshole, but there has to be more to his “my company knows more than all governments and intelligence agencies combined” rant than just him being a jerk. Surely the show will be picking that up in future episodes? Is the hint supposed to be that his father was part of the Twelve, or he is, etc?

• Love 7

I wish we'd gotten more of a plotline out of Ghost and how they found her. It felt really abrupt that Eve was able to just whisk off and arrest her. I also wasn't really sure what I was supposed to take away from Eve looking at herself in the mirrored observation room window for that very long moment and putting her hair up.

• Love 10

The way they found the ghost was by cross indexing lists of maids or other support staff where the ghost killings happened, with lists of doctors and nurses that were struck off for misbehavior.     Eve figured out that with the mustache bleach killing, and others that there was some medical knowledge and training involved.   

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The way they found the ghost was by cross indexing lists of maids or other support staff where the ghost killings happened, with lists of doctors and nurses that were struck off for misbehavior.     Eve figured out that with the mustache bleach killing, and others that there was some medical knowledge and training involved.   

I still felt that it was too rushed. I was kind of getting interested in the plot line and boom, they got her. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, taragel said:

I wish we'd gotten more of a plotline out of Ghost and how they found her. It felt really abrupt that Eve was able to just whisk off and arrest her. I also wasn't really sure what I was supposed to take away from Eve looking at herself in the mirrored observation room window for that very long moment and putting her hair up.

Geez, they love having Sandra Oh play with her hair on this show.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

At first I thought she stumbled upon it and then I realized she planned it! 

I didn't see her in the scene (I was semi-distracted and must have been looking away); I figured out she hired the hit when V made the comment about "scorned wives" (how boring, right?) Might have to watch again. (And I rarely rewatch stuff...)

edit: okay, I watched again; I do remember seeing her, actually, but I guess I didn't make the connection. Also heard the line about the guy being into barnyard animals but didn't connect that to the pig mask until second watching.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/29/2019 at 4:22 PM, taragel said:

I also wasn't really sure what I was supposed to take away from Eve looking at herself in the mirrored observation room window for that very long moment and putting her hair up. 

I think it was about her getting away from her Villanelle fixation and acquiring another attitude. When she put her hair up really tight to resamble the oriental woman, getting away from having her hair mostly down as Villanelle told her in episode 2 of season 1... Yes, this episode Eve is always playing with her hair, almost like trying to find a comfortable way to use it, and the last scene it looks like she did. In fact, just remembering, when Villanelle compliments her hair, in season 1, Eve is also struggling with how to wear it, in the bathroom of the hospital. In this last scene, she is very secure of what to do with her hair. And when Carolyn talks to hear on the speaker, and to know Eve knew she was there, and still was looking straight ahead... It makes it seem like Eve has found her footing, and Carolyn was right about hiding the postcard - Eve can be a way better agent when she is not fixated in Villanelle.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:03 AM, SarahK said:

Or a threesome...

I thought she said "or treason".

This episode had a good thing I was missing: Villanelle's relationship with food. I loved having it back. The way she savors it.

And Konstantin caring for her... Ok, maybe just protecting his money maker, but either way, he knows her extremely well, to know she would be falling apart like that... Someone said here about her being his biological daughter, maybe it is.

Either way, I just hope he gets to kill her before she kills him.

I liked how he didn't flinch when she spoke of his daughter (whereas last season he wanted to hide his family from her), it seems he is not afraid of her anymore (I think he gave the idea of being afraid of her last season, of what she was capable to do).

This episode was very good, almost season one kind of good.

• Love 6

ahhhhhhhhhh I think this was the best episode of the season! But but but, I wanna know more about The Ghost as well, I think they cheated us on this character.  Damn that was some kinky stuff with the pig outfit, but PERFECT!

• Love 2

I was sorely tickled by V's only needing to nod at that dude in the street in order to get him to follow her. Just the pig's head and pinafore was enough. Men, amirite?

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

Hugo’s a douchebag and yet I do find him sexy. I think he’d hit the spot just fine after a late-night visit to an unexpectedly great chicken joint.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, lu1535 said:

I was horrified that Eve was going to kiss Hugo. He's such a creep and Nico is much better looking. I don't understand why that happened.

I believe it was because he wasn't repelled, weirded out, by her attraction to Villanelle, as everyone else is. He liked that on her. 

He did not judge her, he presented himself as kin, also not wanting to die of boredom as he sees on her. 

In fact, for some reason, he was the first one she felt secure to share her appeal of "watching and being watched" with Villanelle.

I believe she felt understood and/or accepted in her fucked up mind.

I say fucked up because I think her attraction to Villanelle is in fact weird, it goes beyond a normal curiosity as anyone in that field would have for a pyschopat. 

Excuse my english mistakes in spelling and grammar. 

• Love 10

S2.E5: Smell Ya Later

The MI6 team make a pact with the devil in order to get information from The Ghost. A visitor from Broadmoor comes with a dire warning. And Eve and Villanelle find themselves closer than ever.

Promo 1:

Promo 2:

Sneak peek:

Original air date: 5/5/19

• Love 2
(edited)

Jess: What do you think [Charles is] saying?
Eve: "I can't satisfy my wife in bed!"
Jess: "Have you seen Mad Men? It's a masterpiece!"
Eve: Yeah, yelling's not going to work. I wish she were a bit more-
Jess: Forthcoming?
Eve: Fun. She kills people for a living. You'd think she works in accounts.
Jess: Not everyone can be as exciting as you know who. I think you've been spoiled, Eve. Ow!
Eve: What happened?
Jess: My tooth. Did you know that babies literally steal the calcium from your teeth? Little bastard's eating me alive.

Jess: I think Charles may have lost his touch in Afghanistan - as well as his leg.

Eve: It's unusual, isn't it? To be a woman in your line of work.
Jin: Not so much anymore.
Eve: Oh, so do you know of others?
Jin: Yeah, we have a book club.

Konstantin: What are you doing?
Villanelle: You told me to get a hobby.

Villanelle: Did you see his number plate? I'd have killed him for free.

Eve: Freelance?
Jess: It makes sense - Villanelle's skills, Konstantin's contacts. They'll be making a killing, so to speak.
Eve: So Amsterdam was a private contract. She must be bored. I'll bet she liked the cache of international politics. Gun for hire? That's a little basic bitch for her.

Villanelle: No, no, no.
Konstantin: Calm down.
Villanelle: I'm not [killing Eve]. Who ordered this?
Konstantin: I have no idea.
Villanelle: Well, tell them no.
Konstantin: This is a little hurtful. You were pretty happy to shoot me.
Villanelle: When are you going to get over that?

Martin: Psychopaths. Ignore the Aston Martin. Can't delete it. Psychopaths are incapable of interpersonal human relationships, the I-you. For the psychopath, there is only I-it. Other people are just objects to them to be picked up and put down at will. Superficial charm, dishonesty, an inability to form intimate lasting relationships, a poverty of emotion. Psychopaths are narcissistic. They're pathologically manipulative, however, they do respond to a certain amount of manipulation. You can't change them, but you can manage them. Money, praise, and attention will help for a while, but honestly there's no containing anyone like this for any length of time.
Eve: But it would be possible for a short amount of time in theory?
Martin: I don't know really. Yeah?
Eve: Aren't you the expert on psychopaths?
Martin: Yes, I am so I know and what I'm saying is we don't know. When you think of a psychopath, you tend to think of a regular person and you add certain negative traits like your violence, your narcissism, your sadism. That's a mistake. Don't add. Take away. Everything that makes us human, just take it all away. They're like facsimiles, copycats. You might as well try to understand a wasp or a stapler or a hole punch or a telephone.

Niko: I've got to go to Oxford tomorrow. Another teacher got sick and they need a chaperone for some spelling bee.
Eve: Wow.
Niko: I know. High octane stuff, huh?

Eve: Did you order extra lime pickle?
Niko: Of course. I'm not an asshole.

Carolyn: Your trousers are rather tight these days.
Martin: We can't wear belts in Broadmoor.
Carolyn: Ahh. I thought it was a cry for help.

Carolyn: How did [Eve] do?
Martin: It depends. With your criteria and my terrible presentation designed to lull subjects into the sense of slightly soporific superiority, then we come to this section. Eve was the only one who didn't instinctively look away.
Carolyn: Good for her.

Carolyn: I always worry about being crushed under all of these [books]. They don't seem stable, do they? Imagine, like the witch in the Wizard of Oz, just two little shoes poking out.

Eve: Hey, you want to go upstairs?
Niko: Right now?
Eve: Yeah.
Niko: I've just eaten a kilo of madras. What am I saying? Yes!

Eve: Last minute spelling bee in Oxford - how did you manage that?
Carolyn: I was the British spelling champion in 1973. It's a very supportive network. Sisyphean. That was the word I won with.

Hugo: You ready to take your top off?
Carolyn: I'll leave you to it.
Eve: Well, this [bulletproof vest] is flattering.
Hugo: I think it looks sexy.
Eve: Shocker.

Eve: Can I take your veil?

Villanelle: You look like someone stuck a mustache on some fudge.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

Of all the things that happened in this episode, the most surprising was that Eve told Kenny she would have Carolyn transfer him to another team.

I knew it was just a matter of time before Eve struck out at Nico, but it was interesting that she decided to go with just coming up to him without any disguise and telling him the truth.

Ha, love that Carolyn was the British spelling bee champion. Her fear of being crushed under books didn't seem unreasonable.

Villanelle's mourning outfit was great, especially the veil. I have missed her over the top outfits.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Of all the things that happened in this episode, the most surprising was that Eve told Kenny she would have Carolyn transfer him to another team.

I think it is interesting that the longer all of this goes on, the more Eve and Villanelle become like the other. Eve has some bitchy, sociopath impulses, and Villanelle is wanting to be thanked/appreciated. Although I hope they don't try some redemption arc with her, because realistically, you can't redeem a psychopath who has murdered god knows how many people.

The Villanelle/Nico confrontation was amusing; Nico threatening someone who could so very easily kill him in the blink of an eye.

Everything about Carolyn continues to fascinate me, whether she can be trusted or not.

• Love 12

Villanelle: Did you see his number plate? I'd have killed him for free.

What was the significance of blue car guy's license plate? (LIIRGE). Google doesn't yield anything that seems worth killing someone over.

Jess keeps rubbing her belly. When characters do that on soap operas a lot of the  viewers who've been pregnant post annoyed comments about it and say it's not something women generally do IRL. So I wonder, why are they highlighting Jess' pregnancy?

MI6 hires a contract killer to torture and interrogate one of their prisoners. One who has already been trying to kill Eve. I'm thinking this show may have just jumped the shark.

• Love 3
(edited)

This episode was cantering along, being really good, and then it took a sharp right-hand turn into FUCKING WEIRD. Holy hell. I may need to rewatch to fully unpack everything.

I am the absolute least surprised person in the history of least surprised people that Carolyn and Konstantin were in on this together--the show practically shouted it from neon lights when a hot second after Eve ordered the hit on herself Villanelle got the contract. Somewhat as I predicted, they (or at least Carolyn) needed V to "come in" to Eve on her own. I'm also not at all surprised V and Eve are teaming up, though I AM surprised it happened so fast. It feels like nothing happened the first 2-3 episodes and suddenly everything happened tonight. The pacing this season has definitely been not great.

The kitchen scene...where to start? It's an obvious callback to last season's kitchen scene--also in episode 5, I do believe--and yet so different too. I did have to laugh at the quick cut between Villanelle pinning Eve to the counter with the knife and to Eve shutting the door behind them. Of course we can't know what happened in between. Of course. And just like last season, Villanelle is opaque and Eve calls her bluffs.

Post-Jin, however, Villanelle is CRANKY at Eve, which bodes well for exactly nobody (Eve still likes the idea of Villanelle more than the reality, while Villanelle is learning that relationships aren't idyllic and perfect and easy!). Revenge Part 1 was definitely V spilling the beans to Niko in Oxford, and I gotta say, BOY is dressing Villanelle like a smarmy privileged Eton/Oxford kid right on. (And it's not right, but I did crack up at the "you look like someone put a mustache on fudge" line.) Meanwhile, Eve is seriously considering pushing assholes who jostle her on train platforms into the train just as it arrives. It's interesting that that scene can also be a bookend to the scene in last season's episode 3, when Bill intercepted Villanelle who was stalking Eve--that night REALLY started Eve's obsession with Villanelle, after all. They're both losing it, in different ways. More and more I do think Eve will, eventually, kill Villanelle.

Villanelle's mourning outfit was absolutely ridiculous, and I absolutely loved it. Just so fucking over the top and therefore quintessentially Villanelle. And "Can I take your veil?" was HILARIOUS. The show has been doing interesting, if not very subtle, things with showing Villanelle in mirrors constantly.

MI6 hires a contract killer to torture and interrogate one of their prisoners. One who has already been trying to kill Eve.

Villanelle has never really tried to kill Eve, though, has she?

[ETA: Oh, I forgot to say, Jess was the stealth MVP tonight. "Eve honey, you're a little slow, so I'm going to spell this out for you...no paperwork is BAD, not good." Hee.

Eve getting the roses from Villanelle, the iconic music starting, and then her jumping Niko's bones was something.]

Edited by stealinghome
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

This season is not grabbing me like the first either, but then that is rare for any good show. I'm not sure where it can go, except for eventual betrayals among V, Eve, Nico, Konstatin, and Carolyn.  Maybe they will surprise us and Kenny will do something crazy. 

• Love 2

I forgot about Eve wanting to push the guy into the oncoming train. mmmmkay. So she has gone from fascination with a murderer, to stabbing said murderer, to wanting to murder an innocent person. That's zero to sociopath in only a few weeks time! 

• Love 10

Okay, after rewatching, crazy speculation: is Carolyn trying to turn Eve and V into her own personal off-the books hit squad, either aimed at the Twelve or in their service? Because between Jin pegging Eve with "Do you want to do it yourself?", Villanelle's "Do you want to watch?" because she knows on some level Eve's into it, and Eve not reacting to a gory picture, seriously considering throwing the guy into the train's path, and unleashing a psychopath on a chained-up woman (Jin's "monster" was crushing), this episode seriously emphasized her dark side as well as how good a team she and Villanelle could make. And, frankly, that Villanelle is more hung up on Eve than vice versa. "And yet here you are" indeed. You could never kill Eve without seeing her face-to-face again, Villanelle, who are you kidding?

Oof, Eve is being awful to Kenny and it's awful to watch.

Everything about Eve getting the roses, getting turned on, and jumping Nico's bones--with the music--is iconic.

It didn't really register the first time I watched the scene, but the kitchen meeting had so many callbacks to 1x08 too. "I think about [stabbing Villanelle] all the time," "I think about it all the time too," Eve touching V's cheek in a mirror of V touching her hair, Eve being dressed particularly schlubby and confronted with Villanelle's ostentatious, lavish high fashion style, Eve recklessly swigging champagne...and the "Eve, get it out! Get it out!" is an inverse of what V was saying when Eve stabbed her. There's a lot to think about here. That scene rolled a whole bunch of S1's greatest hits into one. I guess the question is, is this a restart of the show in some ways? A farewell to its first phase?

Carolyn and Konstantin were SO parents chaperoning the world's most awkward date.

• Love 5
On 4/29/2019 at 8:36 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Jodie Comer is clearly an amazing actress, but I think it has to be said that one of the reasons to watch Killing Eve is just to be able to look at her. My God, but she's a work of art.

a thousand times yes! i have a huge girl crush - and the CLOTHES! I barely care about the plot anymore - just give me more of that face and the outfits. The Instagram scene - more of this please. And how perfect was that scene in the mask. She's amazing.

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Jess keeps rubbing her belly. When characters do that on soap operas a lot of the  viewers who've been pregnant post annoyed comments about it and say it's not something women generally do IRL. So I wonder, why are they highlighting Jess' pregnancy?

One of the ways I know a colleague or friend is pregnant is that they start resting their hands on their bellies (even when they're not showing). I think (and I have nothing to base this on, truly) is that women are really socialized to not put their hands on their stomachs, because it draws the eye, and omg maybe they'll notice we're fat!!! So when a fetus is on board, it's an unconscious signal: nope, not fat, preggers. Especially among show-biz women, for whom an extra bit of padding could kill their careers.

I was super coveting that multicolored jacket V was wearing early in the show. 

The psychopath teacher is doing double duty by playing Thenadier over on Les Miserables a few channels over.  I like Adeel Akhtar. He's value-added to a cast.

Edited by attica
  • Love 5

When the show shifted to Oxford at the very end, I thought A Discovery of Witches had started, because that show is partially set in Oxford. Instead, Villanelle meets Niko and freaks him out. 

• Love 4
On 5/5/2019 at 8:27 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, love that Carolyn was the British spelling bee champion. Her fear of being crushed under books didn't seem unreasonable.

If I was the profiler, I would have been scared that Carolyn was going to push the shelves on top of me after she said that. If anyone asked her what happened, she'd just give some non sequitur response.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, kismac said:

I think it is interesting that the longer all of this goes on, the more Eve and Villanelle become like the other. Eve has some bitchy, sociopath impulses, and Villanelle is wanting to be thanked/appreciated. Although I hope they don't try some redemption arc with her, because realistically, you can't redeem a psychopath who has murdered god knows how many people.

There have been a lot of mirrors this season. Not just V, but Eve has also spent quite a bit of time looking at herself.

16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

What was the significance of blue car guy's license plate? (LIIRGE). Google doesn't yield anything that seems worth killing someone over.

I'm going to take a flyer and posit tht the two "II" represent a penis. I could see V responding that she would have killed that guy for free if that was the case.

14 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Oof, Eve is being awful to Kenny and it's awful to watch.

It is harsh, but given how far off the reservation Eve is going, if Kenny's not 100% on board, he probably should be as far away as possible in order to protect his career. Yeah, Carolyn is allowing Eve to do this, but, as Jess pointed out, this is off-the-record since Eve doesn't have to fill out paperwork. Carolyn has deniability. If Kenny stays on the team, he does not.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I forgot about Eve wanting to push the guy into the oncoming train. mmmmkay. So she has gone from fascination with a murderer, to stabbing said murderer, to wanting to murder an innocent person. That's zero to sociopath in only a few weeks time! 

Having the thoughts, desires and maybe even inclination to push an asshole onto the tracks does not a psychopath/sociopath make. We've probably all had terrible thoughts - whether about violence toward someone else or even suicidal considerations. Not acting on them is what separates the mentally ill from the rest of us. Sure, she's closer to the line now that she's in the midst of this unhealthy obsession, but I wouldn't classify her a psychopath.

I do wonder what Caroline's endgame is. Did she bring Eve in to help control V? It appears she's been involved with Konstantin for quite some time and was already aware of who Oksana was/is... so why did she need Eve? To what end?

Edited by marcee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That's zero to sociopath in only a few weeks time! 

I wouldn't say she's a sociopath, she's clearly emotionally affected when she hurts or thinks about hurting people, but I think she is losing her grip a little, and she already wasn't on solid psychological footing to begin with. Early on in season 1 (maybe even the first episode, I think) she was already shown self-harming, stabbing herself after learning about the first stabbing in the street that got them on Villanelle's trail. She was self-harming in the first episode of this season, too, with a pen, after she escaped Villanelle's apartment. This, plus her feeling more "compelled" to do these impulsive things like stab Villanelle or almost push a guy in front of the train before "snapping out of it" and freaking out after the fact, suggests some kind of dissociation.

4 hours ago, marcee said:

I do wonder what Caroline's endgame is. Did she bring Eve in to help control V? It appears she's been involved with Konstantin for quite some time and was already aware of who Oksana was/is... so why did she need Eve? To what end?

I think Caroline and Konstantin are grooming Eve and Villanelle to become partners of some kind, perhaps either with or against the 12. 

Poor Kenny, I hope he isn't shipped off somewhere else, he's one of my favorite characters.

• Love 8

Has Jodie Comer done an American accent on the show at some point? I can't remember. Or has she done one on anything else?

She's so good with the accents, I was curious what her American would sound like.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, attica said:

The psychopath teacher is doing double duty by playing Thenadier over on Les Miserables a few channels over.  I like Adeel Akhtar. He's value-added to a cast.

He was great in River.

• Love 2

Eve almost pushing the guy into a train seemed like maybe a call back to earlier when the other Cassini asked if she wanted to give being an assassin a try, and Eve said she didnt have the stomach for it. But I mean, holy crap Eve take a step back and reevaluate some things! Considering killing a random guy? Sacking poor Kenny for talking back? 

Villanelle joking with Eve about poisoning her was so hilariously ridiculous. I also loved her coming by Oxford apparently just to say hi to Nico. With a super cute Oxford outside, of course. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Villanelle joking with Eve about poisoning her was so hilariously ridiculous. I also loved her coming by Oxford apparently just to say hi to Nico. With a super cute Oxford outside, of course. 

Actually, I believe it was the latter that was the main selling point for her going to Oxford. She could have confronted Nico anytime and any place.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I dont think that Eve is a psychopath, she feels too strongly for that. And while Villanelle so often seems to have to fake normal human interaction to hide her psychopathy, Eve is totally honest in her feelings and reactions. I think that Eve is obsessive, and that obsession could lead her down a dark path. I think she has always had some issues (like in the first season when she stabbed herself), but her obsession with Villanelle is just making it worse and worse, as her interest in female killers, especially Villanelle, is becoming less of an interest and more identification. 

• Love 7