Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

But Eve's school girl crush has always been the premise and engine of the show.

Yeah but now it seems to be making her do stupid things. She's too distracted by it.

Ugh, that omelet. It looked like something vaguely egg-like that someone had eaten and then thrown up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Valny said:

Is the blood drip in the Killing Eve graphic going down different letters this season or did it always do that?  I always thought it only went down the letter V. 

I believe you're correct. 

50 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Ugh, that omelet. It looked like something vaguely egg-like that someone had eaten and then thrown up.

I wasn't even sure if there were any eggs in that dish. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Valny said:

I actually thought Eve was going to find a tracking device in the lipstick.  But did her handler put a tracker on Eve outside of the school/college?

Is the blood drip in the Killing Eve graphic going down different letters this season or did it always do that?  I always thought it only went down the letter V. 

I’m not sure what the handler did when he took the fluff from her collar. I figured he did SOMETHING, but it never came up, so maybe not.

The blood drip in the graphic has always switched letters from episode to episode.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

But Eve's school girl crush has always been the premise and engine of the show. 😉

Absolutely! I just wish they would write Eve differently in dealing with her fascination.  The psychopath comes across as interesting and charming....Eve is just a mopey, self centred mess who’s on the verge of embarrassing herself most of the time.  The premise is great....the writing and execution could be better and all this season has done is confirm my belief that Jodie Comer should have been showered in awards for last season ..... not Sandra Oh.

of course YMMV.

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 20

Must I be the first one on this thread to point out that Jodie Comer’s lips are identical to those of cherished 1970s teen star Kristy McNichol of Family and Little Darlings fame? I first noticed this when Comer appeared in the excellent BBC miniseries Thirteen.

The online report which Eve saw identified Gabriel as 12 years old. He seemed much more like 15 or 16 to me. I suppose they cast someone much older because if Gabriel really looked 12 than Villanelle snapping his neck would have looked far more grisly than it did. By the way, I’m in the camp that believes that he was always doomed and she didn’t snap his neck as a form of compassion, he just gave her an easier out.

I’d like an episode set at Christmas with Villanelle serenading Konstantin with “Santa Baby.” Wearing a sexy Santa costume, of course. And Irina walks in on them finally experiencing a carnal encounter. Awkward.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

That's what made the scene so delightful--Villanelle knew Eve would put the lipstick on because she put the dress on and there were no traps last time.

Yeah thats the thing about Villanelle, you never what what your gonna get. Are you gonna get a nice new shade of lipstick, or a knife to the face? Or with Konstantin, will she hug him, or stab him in the gut? Really, its up to whatever strikes her fancy at the moment most of the time. Its one of the things that make her so entertaining to me, you never know if your gonna get a kiss, or a knife to the face. 

You would think that Eve would give her husband that there is a deranged killer who is obsessed with and stalking her, and might do something to hurt him. 

Poor Kenny, everyone he knows turns out to be an  asshole, including his mom, who isnt all that invested in him. Of course, she might have just been saying that to Konstantin, but I think not. 

Of course Villanelle with a credit card buys endless clothes, makeup, face masks, etc. just about instantly, then runs off. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Absolutely! I just wish they would write Eve differently in dealing with her fascination.  The psychopath comes across as interesting and charming....Eve is just a mopey, self centred mess who’s on the verge of embarrassing herself most of the time.  The premise is great....the writing and execution could be better and all this season has done is confirm my belief that Jodie Comer should have been showered in awards for last season ..... not Sandra Oh.

of course YMMV.

YES YES YES to all of the above.

It says something to me that I find the villain infinitely more likable than the "heroine".

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, SHD said:

I’m not sure what the handler did when he took the fluff from her collar. I figured he did SOMETHING, but it never came up, so maybe not.

He was there to scare off Villanelle. 

I'd like to know how the blade got into the lipstick without the lipstick instantly breaking when Eve applied it. That's some advanced skill there!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

He was there to scare off Villanelle. 

I understood that part, why he was there. But he very pointedly touched her collar and pretended to take some lint off. That's what I wasn't sure about.

• Love 2

When the police raided that place, wouldn't they have a ring of officers outside. And when they saw she wasn't in that room surely they'd quickly check all other rooms.  It just seemed so silly that Eve wandered slowly along the hall like a mute loony while armed police stood about scratching their heads.  

And the tie in the lift.  It's always so conveniently empty of other people. And the fact he stood there right by the door gaping at her while she pulled out his tie.  People move to the back wall when entering a lift and he was already tired of her so why did he let her pull out his tie without grabbing it out of her hands and shoving her away.

Then the lipstick. I get that there's supposed to be this sick attraction between them... but who would put on suspect lipstick.  Not me. Ir looked cool on camera I guess so they ran with it.  But still very silly.

When it starts to get beyond stupid I start to tune out.  It was bad enough with that long noisy shoot-out in the fields of Surrey the other season.  I live in England - that could never happen without hoards of people and police arriving within seconds.  Gun shots are rare in the English countryside.

I like tension and I like the premise, but make it a bit more believable guys.... in fact that would add to the tension I'd think.

The acting is brilliant.  Especially the two leading ladies. But less fantasy would improve things... for me anyway. 🙂

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Ir looked cool on camera I guess so they ran with it.  But still very silly.

I think the show has proven over and over again that it will always choose "cool-looking" over "realistic," style over substance. I'm at the point of trying to decide if I'm going to go along with it, sigh, or bail.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SHD said:

But he very pointedly touched her collar and pretended to take some lint off.

And Eve, who knows that she is marked for assassination, just naively stands there and lets a complete stranger reach out and touch her.  You would think she would be more wary of strangers.

• Love 19
11 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

The premise is great....the writing and execution could be better and all this season has done is confirm my belief that Jodie Comer should have been showered in awards for last season ..... not Sandra Oh.

of course YMMV.

I am right there with you! I have liked Sandra Oh in other roles, but in this I find almost every other character and actor portraying them to outshine her.  I've seen Jodie Comer in other roles, but none compares to what she is doing here.  

• Love 7

So Eve told Niko about Villanelle, and he still doesn't believe she's dangerous to him?     The apple in the classroom was a dead giveaway, and the fact that Niko doesn't seem to recognize the other woman was coming on to him is making me not like him.   Eve is accepting reality, but Niko isn't.    Eve is lucky the lipstick wasn't poisoned.   

• Love 8
15 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

of course YMMV.

ITA. Villianelle is the best part of this show, and is played brilliantly. So glad she's back with Konstantin. Sandra Oh is annoying me to no end - even worse this season than last. I hope Nico dumps her for the girl who's hot for him _ (forgot name) Was that THE pink dress I saw in the trailer at the end? For some reason I thought it got trashed in an earlier episode.

• Love 7

They’re in Amsterdam next week? Yippee. Is it too pervy of me to hope to see Villanelle in one of those red light district windows, pouting and making faces at drunken British guys while wearing a version of her pink princess dress? She better not diss The Night Watch at the Rijksmuseum, is all I have to say. Because that is a frigging masterpiece which mesmerizes me each time I go over there.

• Love 4

I kept laughing at Villanelle's outfit at the school. I would to know if her Toni-Collette-in-About-A-Boy cosplay was on purpose,  or if it was serendipity. Down to the hair scarf! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I actually would not mind the husband if they gave some type of context to how their relationship has worked this long. Are we supposed to think Eve has always been unfulfilled in her marriage (and her work until given this opportunity) and has passively accepted it?  Is he supposed to be just the "safe" option that she was not really into but married anyway? 

It seems like he makes an effort to make her a part of his world...but she is unable to truly make him a part of hers.  It has never been made clear how much info she has given him. 

You can see the affair with the other teacher a mile off, and I just wish they did not have to make him so bland, etc. to justify Eve's issues. 

I agree, who would put on the lipstick she gave you especially when last season they thought she poisoned someone?  They alternate between making Eve look clever to extremely stupid. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, attica said:

I kept laughing at Villanelle's outfit at the school. I would to know if her Toni-Collette-in-About-A-Boy cosplay was on purpose,  or if it was serendipity. Down to the hair scarf! 

She definitely gets an A for effort with regards to her disguises. I loved that she took the time to make a glitter macaroni necklace to complete the ensemble. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

I actually would not mind the husband if they gave some type of context to how their relationship has worked this long. Are we supposed to think Eve has always been unfulfilled in her marriage (and her work until given this opportunity) and has passively accepted it?  Is he supposed to be just the "safe" option that she was not really into but married anyway?

Yes to all of that. imo, everything you said is what the first season heavily implied.

1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

I kind of want to dress as Villanelle for Halloween, but I cant decide which outfit to choose! Every one is iconic! I might even add some fake blood to complete the aesthetic...

This season’s standout so far has to be the blue onesie from the hospital! It was both ridiculous and adorable. Though I think I remember reading an interview that said it was created especially for the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Last season I felt like I was at a table for one in my mehness over Sandra Oh and her character. All Eve really has going for her is bluster. Last season, I wanted to see her being good at something else, and I’m still waiting. I don’t know why Caroline hasn’t burned her, wiped her records off the map, and cut her loose. 

Struggling with the show a bit because I don’t know what any of these characters really want. Villanelle is endlessly watchable, but she’s also a sociopath and the show doesn’t really trick me into rooting for her. (I said it last year, but I don’t believe in sociopath redemption arcs.)

I don’t particularly believe in their love story. 

I think Konstantin may be my favorite non-sociopath character on the show. I also think Vilanelle is totally his real daughter. 

And finally ... Niko’s love interest is played by an actress I haven’t seen since Hotel Babylon was on, and I was pretty happy to see her. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kieyra said:

Last season I felt like I was at a table for one in my mehness over Sandra Oh and her character. All Eve really has going for her is bluster. Last season, I wanted to see her being good at something else, and I’m still waiting. I don’t know why Caroline hasn’t burned her, wiped her records off the map, and cut her loose. 

Struggling with the show a bit because I don’t know what any of these characters really want. Villanelle is endlessly watchable, but she’s also a sociopath and the show doesn’t really trick me into rooting for her. (I said it last year, but I don’t believe in sociopath redemption arcs.)

I don’t particularly believe in their love story. 

I think Konstantin may be my favorite non-sociopath character on the show. I also think Vilanelle is totally his real daughter. 

And finally ... Niko’s love interest is played by an actress I haven’t seen since Hotel Babylon was on, and I was pretty happy to see her. 

Loved Hotel Babylon!!

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

Yes to all of that. imo, everything you said is what the first season heavily implied.

This season’s standout so far has to be the blue onesie from the hospital! It was both ridiculous and adorable. Though I think I remember reading an interview that said it was created especially for the show.

Yes, but that reflects more negatively on her than him. Why marry him and then spend the time making him feel less for not being what you really wanted?  Just once I would like a show to write for a couple that are not alike and still manage to make it work.   I'm sure they will show him doing something strange or cruel to further assassinate his character.  I totally do feel he is necessary....Eve needs someone in her life to feel safe with and so far in a lot of ways he seems to accept her the way she is...he just wants to be let in more. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I kind of want to dress as Villanelle for Halloween, but I cant decide which outfit to choose! Every one is iconic! I might even add some fake blood to complete the aesthetic...

I vote for the boy's PJs and white clogs with flowers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You also have to properly accessorize. Which knife goes best with which outfit? Should you go with the .22 or a larger caliber?

1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I vote for the boy's PJs and white clogs with flowers.

Definitely worth looking into.

• Love 6

They initially wanted to use Spiderman PJs but didn't think the company would sign off on having a sociopathic killer wearing their stuff so they made the ones she ended up in.

I felt at the start of season one that Eve was happy in her marriage and was more engaged. But as she became drawn into the catching Villanelle scenario she began to withdraw from Niko because she couldn't share what was going on.

• Love 7

Anyone else bothered by how quickly her lip stopped bleeding? I pulled some skin off my lip just wiping my mouth with a napkin one day and it took a good 20 minutes to stop bleeding. She cut it with a knife and it stopped in like 20 seconds.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Not for nothing @ams1001, but have you ever had your clotting factor checked? That seems extreme, both in causation and in duration.

eta: I am not a doctor, just an anonymous internet commenter. 😀

Edited by attica
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, attica said:

Not for nothing @ams1001, but have you ever had your clotting factor checked? That seems extreme, both in causation and in duration.

eta: I am not a doctor, just an anonymous internet commenter. 😀

Nah, I don't generally bleed that much. It was during the winter and my lips were pretty dry and a bit chapped. The napkin sort of stuck and pulled the skin just at the inside edge of my lower lip. Lip skin is thin and has a lot of capillaries (that's why they're pink). It wasn't, like, dripping down my chin the whole time or anything like that. 😉 

Edited by ams1001

S2.E4: Desperate Times

Villanelle decides to take matters into her own hands on a trip to Amsterdam; Carolyn is called in to face the music with her boss; after the discovery of another dead body, Eve and her new team make a break in their case.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 4/28/19

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Helen: Jesus H. Christ, Carolyn! If I wanted to get screwed until my asshole bled, I'd go to Torture Garden on a Friday night and ask for the full shitting English!

Hugo: She just won't shut up about being vegan!
Jess: If you don't actually like her, then don't go out with her.
Hugo: Well, I like her body. I just don't like her.

Hugo: Is Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box here somewhere?

Jess: Hugo, put that Oxford degree you never talk about to good use.

Villanelle: What's with the shirt? Seriously, do not go shopping on your own again.

Villanelle: This is so BORING!

Jess: What really annoys me is that these teenagers probably make ten times our salary. They sit around on beanbags talking about which Dr. Who companion they'd most like to spaff off to.
Eve: Rose Tyler. Come on, she's adorable.

Girl: Wow, you look amazing! Can I take a picture of you for my Instagram?
Villanelle: No, of course not. Don't be pathetic.

Jess: It's one thing getting murdered, but the indignity of being found in the middle of bleaching your mustache.

Carolyn: Jess, I'd like you to come to Amsterdam.
Jess: Amazing! Oh, I forgot I was pregnant.

Eve: An inhalational anesthetic put in a cream that goes under your nose. Wow, that is smart. And thoughtful. She wanted it to be painless. What kind of assassin is that?
Hugo: A nice one?

Hugo: This is taking ages.
Danny: It's a computer. It's not magic.

Hugo: You know, I once got a hand job in here, under this very table.
Eve: That is so romantic.
Hugo: It really was, actually.
Eve: Do you ever not talk about sex?
Hugo: Why would I? What else is there?

Eve: Oh! This is amazing!
Hugo: I told you.
Eve: What do they put in it?
Hugo: I don't know. Crack. Orphans.
Eve: I don't care if that's the truth. If it tastes this good, grind up an orphan and fry it in crack.

Hugo: I wanted this job for exactly the same reason as you did.
Eve: And what reason is that?
Hugo: I didn't want to die of boredom.

Hugo: Do you like watching [Villanelle] or do you like being watched?
Eve: Both.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Solid episode tonight—it definitely feels like the show is returning to form. I can’t believe we’re halfway through the season though; it feels like things are only now actually starting to, you know, HAPPEN. This should have been the second or third episode, not the halfway point.

First, the shallow: Jodie Comer looked STUNNING this episode. I don’t know if her makeup was different or if it’s the new haircut or what, but holy smokes, she actually walked out of a gorgeous pre-Raphaelite painting. Just beautiful. And her outfits were PHENOMENAL. That not-on-Instagram dress was incredibly beautiful, and I was really digging the pants/shirt combo she had on earlier in the episode too. (And hee, Konstantin’s shirt WAS terrible. I wholeheartedly agree with Villanelle—he never gets to dress himself again. Their father/daughter relationship continues to be oddly touching.) I am both intrigued but also horrified by Villanelle unraveling, mostly because it feels like her unraveling is going to lead absolutely nowhere good for anybody. But I also can't look away. This episode should be Jodie Comer's Emmy/Golden Globe reel for next season.

For a second I was afraid that Villanelle was going to kill Jess out of spite. Thank goodness that didn’t happen, as Jess is starting to grow on me. Smarmy gross Hugo, not so much; Eve, don’t sleep with the shirt-always-gapping, probably-has-a-zillion-STIs tool, just don’t. (Though I do love the costuming detail of the always-gapping shirt. Tells you so much about the character.) And finally, Eve starts to admit to some things to herself and to others. I loved the "Do you like watching her or being watched?" "Both" exchange for what it told us about Eve's headspace. I was also waiting for her to say "I'm not actually a good person" to Nico, but I guess we're not there yet.

I wasn’t a fan of Carolyn’s boss, who was too determinedly quirky; that said, I AM curious as to whether Carolyn was bluffing or not when she said all was going to plan. I’m going to say that was true; she definitely dangled Amsterdam in front of Eve intentionally, after confiscating the postcard. My guess is that she’s now trying to make Villanelle and Konstantin come to them, instead of chasing them. Another shallow note, Fiona Shaw looked GORGEOUS in the scene outside walking away after her meeting with her boss.

The rich son sucks really hard. I’m not entirely convinced the woman they apprehended was the right (or only) assassin; we still have half a season left, after all. So please let the Ghost (or someone else) kill him before they are apprehended, because dude is awful. Also, Eve forgot to tell Nico about the security guard? C’mon now. Though hee, the actor sold the awkwardness of that scene!

Man, that wife was cooooold. I cottoned on just after we saw her outside the window. I mean, the husband was obviously a huge scumbag, but still, to be there and watch? And with your KID? Holy shit, coooooooooold.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
46 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Man, that wife was cooooold. I cottoned on just after we saw her outside the window. I mean, the husband was obviously a huge scumbag, but still, to be there and watch? And with your KID? Holy shit, coooooooooold.

Damn, I missed that!

• Love 6

I loved the actor who was the bodyguard with Nico.    Nico still doesn't get that Villanelle is going to kill him one of these days, does he?     Nico is beginning to get on my last nerve with his denial.     

The wife of Villanelle's latest project certainly wanted to make sure that she was getting her money's worth.         

Carolyn's boss is a loon.   

The woman that was so nasty to Villanelle certainly deserved what she received.     Jodie Comer looked so great tonight.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

So... V felt something and she liked it. That doesn't bode well.  

Also, V was not even wearing gloves during the murder. Do they not have her DNA/prints? I can't remember.  

• Love 2

I really wanted to see Villanelle punch one of those vending machines at the famed Febo for a deep fried mystery meat thing (they call it frikandel) but I did enjoy her outburst at the Rijksmuseum.

• Love 3