Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

The anguish on Villanelle's face when she realized she'd have to put on crocs nearly rivaled the anguish she felt when she poured liquor on her stab wound.

All I could do was laugh when she said she has to go to London to see her girlfriend. Only Villanelle would see being stabbed as a sign of affection.

Edited by slf
  • LOL 6
  • Love 18
(edited)

Villanelle: You are really good at stealing. You should do it more.
Gabriel: Funny.
Villanelle: Yes, I am funny.

Carolyn: My father used to come to this park all the time, to the men's bathing ponds just over there. Very popular in the 50s with spies. Ideal place for a sensitive conversation. And to have sex with boys, of course, which would have been an added bonus for daddy.

Caroline: Don't apologize. It's a waste of my time and yours.

Carolyn: What's [Villanelle's] flat like?
Eve: Chic as shit.

Julia: Forgive the smell. He has been the tiniest bit exhumed.
Eve: Can I sit down?
Julia: Can I get you something? Water? Whiskey?
Eve: A burger?
Julia: That's the formaldehyde. The smell of the bodies makes you crave meat.

Eve: [Alistair Peele] was a recluse, right?
Carolyn: Reclusive. Anti-social, let's say.

Eve: I need to go home.
Carolyn: Home? Is that what you really want? What to people do at home?

Niko: Are you going to tell me what's going on? Please?
Eve: I bought a shit ton of really expensive windows.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 19

That conversation in the morgue with Caroline was like having a session with the worst shrink I ever saw.

I do sort of fear that this a reset of sorts and that the overarching storyline of season one will be repeated this year, Eve and Villanelle play cat and mouse AGAIN, some semi-beloved (as much as someone can be beloved after knowing them for less than 10 hours) character on the "Good team" ie Eve's will be killed by Villanelle, I'm guessing Caroline's son.

I'm REALLY hoping that Villanelle grabs that girls who asks to take a picture for her Instagram and throws her into the goddamn canal. That I will HEARTILY AND 100% APPROVE.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Carolyn's story about her father was creepy. I wonder if she knows Eve was lying. She conveniently avoided Eve's question. The woman is mysterious.

Oh she totally knows she's lying. When Eve was questioning her at the morgue Carolyn asked her "What really happened in Paris?" and some other things.

• Love 7

Villanelle running around with a gaping gut wound was not believable to me. It's like she's some kind of superhuman.

The really funny thing is Eve is indeed an addict. She's addicted to a person instead of a substance.

• Love 6

I figured Villanelle would end up killing that kid. He did wish for it and happened to be next to an assassin. 

Jodie comer continues to amaze me as Villanelle. Not many can play that psychotic and still be charming. I can see why Eve is obsessed with her. I'm thinking the husband is going to be killed. Villanelle doesn't like distractions. 

I do hope we don't get a repeat of season 1. I'll take the chase for an ep or 2 then it better change. 

• Love 9

Of course, in Villanelle's head, she's doing the kind thing by killing Gabriel because he made her realize that she wouldn't want to live like that. Don't get me wrong - she is still a killer any way you slice it (no pun intended) but this a murder that she did not for fun or out or boredom or because she was being paid, but because she thought she was being compassionate.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Of course, in Villanelle's head, she's doing the kind thing by killing Gabriel because he made her realize that she wouldn't want to live like that. Don't get me wrong - she is still a killer any way you slice it (no pun intended) but this a murder that she did not for fun or out or boredom or because she was being paid, but because she thought she was being compassionate.

Yeah, empathizing to a point, but still turning it around so as to apply to her.

• Love 3

Jodie Comer's/Villanelle's face when she slid into the Crocs with the jibbitzs... that clip  needs to be submitted as an Emmy For Your Consideration...fans of the show knowingly guffawing

Damn, she manages to make those hero pajamas look chic....

• Love 17
(edited)
11 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Yeah, empathizing to a point, but still turning it around so as to apply to her.

Of course she's still a psycho after all. She did look like she was trying to help him by telling him he could wear an eye patch. She cared as much as she is capable of caring. Its probably her first kill that asked to die though. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8
(edited)

I'm new to this series. I happened to catch most of the marathon, so, there was a lot to digest. I'm not as familiar with it and the characters as you all are though, so, please pardon me if I am not up on all details. I was instantly attracted to this show because of Sandra Oh, whom, I adore. Loved her on big and little screen. So, she is why I'm more tolerant than I would be otherwise of a series that seems to have some limitations.  

I take it that the premise of the series is always going to be Eve and other various forces tracking down Villanelle AND Vilkanelle killing others in various gruesome ways. I'm not sure how long that will intrigue me, despite how charming both characters are. lol I think I will eventually tire of it, and in fact sense that I am already tiring of it. Perhaps, that marathon was too much for one day.  It is some tough content.  (When I was a child there was a show called The Fugitive.  Similar premise as here..  Continual search for the allusive guilty man.) The Black List went that direction too and I got bored. But, I'll try to hang in there, because this show does have some wicked humor and unpredictable moments.

I did enjoy most of it and think the acting is incredible. The show definitely has its own flavor.  And that's a plus. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I know that this first episode felt like they were re-booting for a repeat of last season, Eve vs. Villanelle cat and mouse. I think some of that will be true. But I think it might also be that it becomes Eve + Villanelle against the 12. Given that the 12 (had to be them, right?) sent a "cleaning" crew to Villanelle's apartment, killed the old lady next door too, must mean that they were ready to remove her permanently.

They not only killed the neighbor but cleared out all of Villanelle's belongings - which she saw. So she knows someone was coming to take care of her even before Eve came in and stabbed her. And if she doesn't have Constantine looking out for her, in his way, then she's really on her own. So I'm wondering if at some point she becomes an asset for Eve and perhaps Carolyn too? 

That's not to say that it wouldn't be a very uneasy alliance, but I could see that an alliance would be formed.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

I know that this first episode felt like they were re-booting for a repeat of last season, Eve vs. Villanelle cat and mouse. I think some of that will be true. But I think it might also be that it becomes Eve + Villanelle against the 12. Given that the 12 (had to be them, right?) sent a "cleaning" crew to Villanelle's apartment, killed the old lady next door too, must mean that they were ready to remove her permanently.

They not only killed the neighbor but cleared out all of Villanelle's belongings - which she saw. So she knows someone was coming to take care of her even before Eve came in and stabbed her. And if she doesn't have Constantine looking out for her, in his way, then she's really on her own. So I'm wondering if at some point she becomes an asset for Eve and perhaps Carolyn too? 

That's not to say that it wouldn't be a very uneasy alliance, but I could see that an alliance would be formed.

That could work. Eve got her revenge for Villanelle's stabbing of Bill. She almost had her reckoning, it's not her fault V survived. I can see an uneasy alliance. The only thing is my nagging suspicion that Carolyn may also be one of the 12.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

So I'm wondering if at some point she becomes an asset for Eve and perhaps Carolyn too? 

It's tough using a psychopath as an asset. Not always the most reliable of people. But, movies and tv shows have done so before.

I always get a kick out of how easy shows make it for someone to easily break someone else's neck. No true effort needed.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The only thing is my nagging suspicion that Carolyn may also be one of the 12.

Oh I'm sure that we'll get some kind of continuing back and forth about Carolyn and her being in the 12. And it may turn out that she's in the 12 but somehow convince Eve that the 12 aren't so bad (like all their dark deeds are really meant to make the world go round in a better way, etc.). 

While I initially thought Villanelle's killing of Gabrielle was out of some twisted form of empathy - in that she wouldn't want to live like that - I also think that it was always going to happen regardless if she was feeling "bad" for him or not. He knew too much. She'd told him that there were bad people after her, but also told him she was heading to London. I think as soon as she got that far in talking to him, he was always going to be a goner. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm thinking the husband is going to be killed. Villanelle doesn't like distractions. 

Reminiscent of her killing the husband of the teacher she loved in Season One because he was a distraction. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Pop Tart said:

I agree/hope so—I’ve long thought that Eve and Villanelle working together has to happen at some point. It’s a logical extension of the show’s premise and what we’ve seen so far. Though I wonder if they might hold off on that for a potential Season 3; I could see the team catching Villanelle in the S2 finale only for Carolyn to walk in with the pivot that V is one of the team now.

39 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

Oh I'm sure that we'll get some kind of continuing back and forth about Carolyn and her being in the 12. And it may turn out that she's in the 12 but somehow convince Eve that the 12 aren't so bad (like all their dark deeds are really meant to make the world go round in a better way, etc.). 

Or The Twelve ARE evil and Carolyn is trying to take them down from within.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pop Tart said:

I think it might also be that it becomes Eve + Villanelle against the 12.

...with Carolyn being one of the 12. 

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

The only thing is my nagging suspicion that Carolyn may also be one of the 12.

Yup!

• Love 3

I was curious about how much connection there is with Carolyn and Villanelle when Carolyn was sitting with the young boy on the park bench and Eve approached her. Villanelle uses children in her missions quite a bit......hmm......coincidence?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Villanelle running around with a gaping gut wound was not believable to me. It's like she's some kind of superhuman.

Seemed alright to me. It was a single stab wound approximately 4" deep and 3/4" wide. Certainly enough to hurt, but if it missed major blood vessels and organs like the doc said, it's not unbelievable that she could run around on an adrenaline rush for 30 minutes to an hour. It's not like she was filleted and holding her own intestines in.

I agree that Villanelle is certainly going to kill Niko, the sudden make up really telegraphs it. It would be unnecessary and less dramatic to kill Eve's husband if they're already separated and estranged. I also think Carolyn/The Twelve are priming Eve to become one of them. That would explain Carolyn's sudden about-face in rehiring Eve, and her intense interest in how much Eve knows and how far Eve is willing to go.

• Love 5

The anguish on Villanelle's face when she realized she'd have to put on crocs nearly rivaled the anguish she felt when she poured liquor on her stab wound.

Before they even showed her reaction, I had the same disgusted reaction of Eeew...and I'm glad she was also skeeved out as she reluctantly slipped her feet into someone else's probably icky shoes because anyone in their right mind would do the same. 

I figured Villanelle would end up killing that kid. He did wish for it and happened to be next to an assassin. 

I probably should have saw that coming but I totally did not! I was like, oh shit!! I should know by now she can kill in any circumstance.  What I did think was that V would do something sexually for the kid since she felt bad for him in her own psycho way.

What were those blue candies Eve was popping in her mouth?

• Love 6
(edited)

Villanelle's expression when she was forced to put on crocs was a thing of beauty. My God, she looked like she was truly dying inside. I mean, she can run her ex girlfriend over with a truck without batting an eye, but putting on crocs?!?

I was worried about Villanelle killing poor Gabriel, but I was still shocked when she actually did it. Whats really screwed up is, from Villanelle's messed up perspective, she was being kind. He said he wanted to die, so she killed him, in as quick and painless a way as she could. Thats Villanelle's version of being empathetic towards someone. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13

Slightly underwhelming premiere, but still solid from the two leads.

Yeah, I knew Gabriel was a goner once they had talked more, but the abruptness of it was still alarming; although Villanelle being so kind and touchy should have been a dead giveaway.

I wonder if Niko will ever know the extent of how much his wife has changed? I mean, before he dies and stuff.

I may have missed an announcement, I saw two new actors being added to the show for season 2, but didn't see if Helena has left the show? That would be a shame, I would like a side view of her and Kenny getting together.

I'm kind of glad that Carolyn has shown herself to be untrustworthy, whether she is part of the 12 or not. She's still funny as heck though.

• Love 8

The candies Eve was snarfing were Blue Raspberry Gummi Puffy Puffs...

https://www.candynation.com/blue-raspberry-puffy-puffs

But a more elegant version....

The white Crocs with the jibbitzs were a fashion insult to Villanelle.... she wasn't skeeved by the shoe being previously worn.... it was the butt ugly shoes that repulsed our favorite assassin-fashionista.

Goodbye to the hot pink poufy dress from last season...stuffed in a brown bag tossed in the van by the clean up crew...

• Love 10
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was curious about how much connection there is with Carolyn and Villanelle when Carolyn was sitting with the young boy on the park bench and Eve approached her. Villanelle uses children in her missions quite a bit......hmm......coincidence?

We rewatched and listened tonight and Carolyn said the boy was probably leaving with his Father.  She knew the kid's name, enough to have talked to him.  Plausible that it was a coincidence.  Villanelle seems to me to be the mistress of making any situation hers.  And making it work for her rapidly.  I wonder if she would have taken that time with a little boy?

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

but putting on crocs?!?

41 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

The white Crocs with the jibbitzs were a fashion insult to Villanelle...

My take started out  in the yucky croc chorus and tonight joined the all crocs are fashion insult choir.  (Because the return of the suitcase filled with wonderful fashions may be my favorite scene of decades of TV watching.)

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was worried about Villanelle killing poor Gabriel, but I was still shocked when she actually did it. Whats really screwed up is, from Villanelle's messed up perspective, she was being kind. He said he wanted to die, so she killed him, in as quick and painless a way as she could. Thats Villanelle's version of being empathetic towards someone. 

Villanelle's general immaturity does make me wonder what kind of relationship Villanelle imagines she and Eve will have.  Perhaps just the two of them having occasional terrifying cuddles, and other nights they braid each other's hair, read fashion magazines and rag on the people they hate.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sure Konstantin isn't dead. Question is, is he going to come back into the picture as an ally to Villanelle (I mean, she was just doing her job and all! 😉 ) or as another one tracking her. And it's going to be interesting to see how well she survives with no source of income, although living by her wits shouldn't be too hard.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, laprin said:

I sort of adore Villanelle *in my soft voice*.

What's not to love? Except for that psychopath thing, but we can work around that. I'm not always the easiest person to get along with either.

• LOL 11
  • Love 10

‘Killing Eve’ Ratings Kill It With Season 2 Simulcast Debut On BBCA & AMC

"The second season opener of the Sandra Oh and the Jodie Comer led spy thriller snagged 1.2 million viewers on April 7. That’s a rise of 67% in total viewers from its previous high of the Season 1 finale of the Phoebe Waller-Bridge developed series and 99% among adults 18-49 to a total of 327,000 in the key demo."

"Even with the much-anticipated debut available for preview on the AMC Premiere subscription service on April 5, the duel network approach juiced the tale of the obsessed MI5 officer and the stylish assassin to a 177% jump over the Season 1 opener – which was just shown on BBCA."

"In that context, it is worth noting that the first season of Killing Eve broke the small screen habit of the past decade. Instead of the declines that most shows see between their season debut and season finale, Killing Eve had an unbroken uptick in both the 18-49 and 25-54 demographics in its eight-episode first season."

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Very much enjoyed the S2 premiere. I did, however, miss Phoebe Waller-Bridge's comic voice in the writing, though. I know she's executive producer now and not the showrunner but I assume she has input into the scripts. (Side question: How did Call The Midwife's Patsy [Emerald Fennell] get to be KE showrunner and writer?!) I could have been completely wrong, but I could hear Waller-Bridge in S1's Carolyn and Bill (there was an echo of it in Carolyn's S2 line about the swimming ponds and their added bonus for Daddy). It's like watching "Kimmy Schmidt" and hearing a line that could only have been written by Tina Fey.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and didn't mind the reset. I guessed that Villanelle would kill poor Gabriel about five seconds before she did it. However, I missed the pink tutu dress out on the street, so thanks to the eagle-eyed poster(s) above!

• Love 2

S2.E2: Nice and Neat

Carolyn introduces Eve to her new team before Eve briefs them on the Villanelle case; Villanelle, needing to lie low while she recovers, finds a good Samaritan to take her in and care for her; Eve finds out a secret that Carolyn has been hiding.

Promo:

Original air date: 4/14/19

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nameless slob said:

I think Eve hasn't told Carolyn and her husband about stabbing Villanelle because she herself doesn't know why she did it.

This brings to mind Jack Nicholson's line in Prizzi's Honor, when talking about fellow hitman/woman Anjelica Huston's character he asks, "Do I love her? Do I kill her?" Eve has to figure out the answer to that question for herself.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

This brings to mind Jack Nicholson's line in Prizzi's Honor

Which brings me to mind of the scene in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, when Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie meet back at their house after each trying to shoot each other.  "Missed you", he says, with a thin smile  "Missed you too", she replies.

• Love 5

Why did Kirby not come back this year? I really loved the team and hate the way that they tease some type of romance with Eve and Villanelle as if we are supposed to forget how she  stabbed Bill? 

• Love 2

Eve: I picked up my phone the other day to text [Bill]. I'm sorry. Let's not talk about this.
Nico: No, it's okay. This is how it works. We have to talk.
Eve: Gross.

Eve: Be careful.
Nico: What do you mean?
Eve: If you see something strange, be careful.
Nico: What a touchingly reassuring goodbye.

Eve: How do you always look so good? Do you ever sleep?
Carolyn: It's my moisturizer. It's made of pig's placenta. Costs a fortune and smells like arse but it is exceedingly effective.
Eve: I don't mind smelling like arse.

Carolyn: Now that Villanelle is part of the Peele investigation, I thought it might be useful to keep some of the Trafalgar team intact.
Eve: So will Elena be-
Carolyn: Elena felt the job was no longer for her.
Kenny: She was worried about getting murdered.

Jess: Welcome to Operation Mandalay. This is Hugo - dog's body and Cambridge posh boy. Apologies for him in advance.
Huge: Oxford, actually. Jess pretends not to remember to hurt my feelings. She's very undermining.

Julian: Can I get you anything?
Villanelle: Do you have any cake?
Julian: Oh. No. But I could get you some.
Villanelle: Honestly, you've done enough. Lemon drizzle.

Hugo: Are you [and Kenny] having an affair?
Eve: Yeah.

Eve: I found her. I found Villanelle.
Kenny: What? Where is she?
Eve: Kenny, I stabbed her.
Kenny: What? WHAT?
Eve: Shhh!
Kenny: Omigawd. Eve! Is she dead?
Eve: I don't know. She disappeared.
Kenny: Oh. This is really bad.
Eve: I know.
Kenny: Does mom know?
Eve: Do you think I should tell her?
Kenny: No! No. You're withholding information on an investigation that you're working on.
Eve: Well, on the bright side, now you are too.

Eve: [Villanelle] shot Konstantin in a tea room full of people.
Jess: She's sloppy?
Eve: No, not usually. She's flamboyant and attention seeking and instinctive, spoilt, easily bored...but no, she's not sloppy.

Eve: Bill Pargrave. [Villanelle] stabbed him to death on a nightlub dance floor. If anyone says, "It's murder on the dance floor," I will throw them out the window.

Eve: What do you know about psychopaths?
Hugo: I went to boarding school.

Amber: You said there was something about dad.
Carolyn: Yes, we've come with rather difficult news.
Aaron: What? Has he died again?

Carolyn: Stop it, Eve. I can feel your excitement. Don't get all giddy and start singing along to the radio in my car.

Julian: What are you looking for?
Villanelle: A kitchen knife.
Julian: What for?
Villanelle: To stab you with.

Eve: We're working on the assumption that this is a woman, late to middle age, looks like an immigrant worker, so she's not white-
Hugo: What makes you think that?
Eve: The fact that you just interrupted me mid-sentence makes me think that.

Villanelle: I've had a really shitty couple of days and I really, really need to go to a doctor. What I don't need is a boring stranger in a Volvo giving me a lesson in how to use the phone!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

As soon as Julian let Villanelle into his car, I thought oh, it's just a matter of time before she kills you, dude. And then when I saw all the dolls in his house, I thought yup, she's definitely killing you sooner rather than later!

Yes, Villanelle is a cold blooded assassin, but Julian was a stereotypical Nice Guy who thinks he is owed something from women and then devolved into a super creepy asshole as the episode went on. Even before they started fighting, he was giving off all kinds of bad signals from all the windows being nailed shut and his refusal to get her the medication she asked for (dismissively calling her a hypochondriac) to brushing her hair because it was messy and ripping the phone out of the wall because she had the gall to try to call someone while he was out.

It must have been driving Villanelle crazy that she had to put up with his bull shit knowing that on any other day, she could have killed him without breaking a sweat. Having to deal with his patronizing attitude because she was injured must have been so frustrating for her. I can't say I was too upset when she finally killed Julian.

And when Julian's mom slipped out the door after Eve, I was all for it. Run like the wind, mom! Dementia or not, it must not have been great for her to live with Julian.

Ha, loved when Hugo asked if Eve and Kenny were having an affair and she just said, "Yeah!" And I loved Eve and Kenny's awkward hug/handshake reunion. "Are you okay?" "No."

Part of the tension when I watch this show is due to the fact that I never know when Villanelle is going to show up and ambush Eve again. At least while Villanelle was at Julian's house, I knew that wasn't going to happen so I could relax a little bit.

It was great seeing Kate from Last Tango in Halifax as Jess.

KONSTANTIN!!

• Love 15

Villanelle is a walking textbook on social engineering, which I guess someone in her line of work would need to be.. The way she picked out that guy in the store and glommed onto him was amazing. Too bad it turned out he was more than a bit of a nutcase.

Yep, like I said last episode, Villanelle running around with a bleeding gut wound was absurd. She was likely on the verge of sepsis. But she lucked out again, out of the frying pan into the fire.

If Villanelle had the ability and nerve to contact the Twelve, why didn't she call them when she was in the hospital? I guess I've missed or forgotten a plot point.

• Love 4