Type keyword(s) to search

Insatiable - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow. This show morphed from a black comedy into.......something else. I’m not even sure what - it’s so tonaly all over the map. I think it crossed a line when Patty brutally murdered Christian. I liked it better when the Bobs were feuding. Not sure if I’m going to stick with it.

• Love 2

Wow. This may be the slowest reveal of a show's central point ever. Assuming that "Insatiable" applies to a long-term effect of having a demon inside you. There were so many earlier references to Satan and demons through the first episodes, but no single reference pointed toward this conclusion. I'm not sure if I admire this or an annoyed by it.

• Love 2

I'm glad to get away from the pageant stuff for a bit. Never been a fan, even when it is being mocked (and it isn't mocked hard enough in this show).

While I enjoy Insatiable, I can't quite get a handle on its style. It swerves all over the place, with some characters sometimes acting reasonably, then unreasonably, and other characters being consistently crazy (and crazier). It's less about building on a base and more random. Which is fine, it just means anything can happen at any time and I don't get a sense of where this is going.

So many of these characters first get mad (Roxy, Nonnie, Nonnie's girlfriend, Coralee, etc.) and the do a 180 and come back sad. The constant drama would wear me out.

At the same time, the show handles some things, like coming out, remarkably sensitively at times. 

• Love 3
On 8/31/2018 at 7:41 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t understand the negative reviews at all this hit all the right buttons for me.  I think this was the exact opposite of fat shaming like a couple of the reviews claimed.  The show went out of its way to say Patty would never be happy fat or thin until she was happy with who she was as a person regardless of her weight,   I loved Nonnie and her entire storyline.  Bob and Coralee were hilarious.  Actually I really liked all the parents and kids relationship.

I don't know if the comments are negative so much as ... puzzled. I agree with all of your one-line comments about various characters, while at the same time I don't know what Insatiable was about. It started out as being (IMO) about Patty and her belief that she would be viewed totally differently after losing weight, and all the fat shaming baggage that goes with it. That alone would have been a great story (and something Dietland started with and then also lost the thread). 

But then it seemed to be more about Patty being selfish, angry and unstable and wanting revenge. Enough to murder someone even. So is it about a fat shamed person or a crazy person (which invalidates anything Patty experienced around fat shaming, since Patty is unstable so we don't know what actually happened when she was shamed, only her version). 

THEN the idea of Patty being possessed through eating her unborn twin was offered. OK, that's out there, but I'll go with it. But that idea seemed to be dropped. Though the concept of her being possessed may still exist?

THEN Patty both kills Christian and saves what's her name, at the same time. So is she actually just a horrible human being for killing Christian? or an improving one for saving what's her-name? Candace? I seriously can't remember.

Meanwhile, all the people around Patty are either nutso or can't make up their minds. Nonnie seems to realize that she isn't herself around Patty, and leaves her, but then comes running back. Coralee loves Bob, rejects gay Bob, wants a threesome with both Bobs, doesn't want a threesome with the Bobs, has one and loves the threesome, and then ... is unsure if she can handle it. Bob B's pageant daughter, whose name I forget, wants to be in pageants, doesn't want to and then wants to again. Everyone is so back and forth.

There are lots of high school kids in this, but it isn't a show about coming of age in high school. There are lots of adults sorting out gender identity, but it isn't a show about that.  Then there is the whole beauty pageant world and setting, which Insatiable appeared to be about for 4-5 episodes but then left that path almost as an afterthought to character interactions.

The one thing I thought the show did really well from a narrative POV is track the Bobs' YEARS of dislike of each other, and how they tormented each other (mostly perfect Bob B tormenting regular Bob), and lead it to a funny and entirely plausible conclusion that they loved each other. That was fantastic. Second to that is Nonnie and the sensitive way her coming out was handled. Though the brief girlfriend was more a device than a character.

And I haven't even mentioned Dixie and her self-admittedly crazy mom, or Brick, or Christian, or Pastor whomever, or a bunch of other people.

So what was Insatiable about? They all were insatiable for different things, even things they didn't know they wanted? There seemed to be too much indecision to be simply that. It was almost screwball enough to just be a zany comedy, which I can accept, except there was too much serious stuff (like Nonnie coming out) to be zany. 

So while I will watch more if there is more, I am on the side of Insatiable season one being all over the place. I'd like to see a more defined narrative if there is a season 2. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, moonshine71 said:

Also, a bit of decent joke casting, considering Patty's Amy Fischer/Drew Barrymore fantasizing, by putting the other Amy Fischer actress in the Mary Jo Buttafuoco role.

I kind of loved Alyssa's version because it was trying so hard to make Joey Buttafuoco look innocent.

This feels like Popular, but without the WB network interference that forced them to add in the sentimental crap.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:13 AM, eXiled said:

It wasn't what I expected, especially after reading the scathing reviews.

It was better!

I happened on a you tube thing yesterday about how crazy this show was... I have to say, it was crazy but funny and enjoyable.   Agreed that Bob A looks and reminds me of John Ritter.  

• Love 3
On 10/7/2018 at 11:52 AM, Tararayne said:

Wouldn’t Magnolia have ran straight to the police after she escaped? It seems Patty (and Bob) would have been worried about that. 

When it comes back I am hoping this last part could be a dream sequence. Basically I do think I have a problem with Patty brutally murdering Christian and possibly Stella Rose. I don't see anyway out of this particular corner unless it was a dream or illusion.  I don't think I could have fun with the show anymore if she did actually kill people.  

I do crack up when Christian is getting his head bashed in to cries of Patty going "I am a good person". Errr...

On 8/28/2018 at 3:44 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

Yes, it did progress several plotlines, but the actual attraction and subsequent behavior was never really addressed nor settled between Patty and Bob. She just "got over" it.

I kind of feel like that would be a very natural way it would happen. Patti wasn't used to male attention so Bob showing her any affection would make her fall for him but then Brick is into her and then Christian and suddenly she doesn't need Bob's attention anymore and can see it for what it was. 

One of them, in particular, was not knowing who the character of Patty really is.

While true... I think that works. Patty doesn't know who she is. Who she was before the weight loss was foisted on her.  She had little choices.  This in a way is her journey of finding out who she is when the world sees her differently. I love how messy it is and how truly nasty Patty can be.  

• Love 2

Bob looks so much like John Ritter...

Oh my God. THANK YOU. I was trying to figure it out. I thought maybe Mike Birbiglia but I couldn't quite place it. It was making me crazy.

Anyway, I'm 6 episodes in and I love it. I mean, I loved it from the pilot. This is exactly my kind of show. Campy and messy but in a good way. I'd say the misstep is when they blur the lines. Like, episode 5 in particular had a lot of teachable moments and while that's fine, it does obscure the fact that this isn't a normal. I don't need the characters to be purely morally good as long as the show doesn't try to pretend this is a typical high school comedy. Speaking of high school, it does help that all the kids look old so I don't have to think about them as teenagers. They're definitely more Glee than Degrassi.

I do think I'm a little more forgiving because the writers are clearly older. They mostly make 80's references. It's not hard to figure out when they were born. And while their are some progressive moments, it feels like their politics and any feminist leanings are from a different decade. 

I think my biggest issue with the show is that Patty is kind of dumb. I don't mind rooting for an evil (or more generously, morally gray) character once in a while, especially in something campy and over the top like this. But Patty acts without thinking. She doesn't make any kind of plan and that's why she's been in so much trouble in the first few episodes. She's past Blair Waldorf or Juliette Barnes into being pure id sometimes. If she's going to be a schemer, I need her to be better at it. 

but how many times is the leading lady going to realize she’s an asshole and feel terrible about it and then turn around and out her mentor and only person she has in her life just because?

Yeah, the show feels like it's going in circles because Patty is the one character who isn't really allowed to progress, at least not enough that she quits pageants (which is probably what she actually needs to do for real healing and character growth). Magnolia got sent to rehab but Patty can never get punished or face repercussions for her actions for more than an episode or two. Nonnie is coming into her own. But it feels like Patty has been learning the lesson about being ugly/pretty on the inside over and over and it hasn't meaningfully changed her behavior because then all the shenanigans on the show would stop. The part of the show that wants to be about beauty standards and eating disorders is fighting with the part of the show that wants to be camp and Heathers. But the thing about Heathers or a Lifetime movie (which is basically what the Christian plotline became at the end) is that the story is contained in the running time of a movie. Insatiable has to keep going and making more episodes. I hope it doesn't become too big of a mess but How to Get Away with Murder is still somehow going so maybe there's hope. 

Spoiler

I am also in the camp that is suspicious about whether Christian is dead. She hit him so many times... but something about that ending leaves the question open if they want to play it that way.

With this show's love of 80's references, he's pretty clearly JD from Heathers. (There's some Judd Nelson Breakfast Club and all those Endless Love type Lifetime movies in there too but JD is the biggest reference point to me) I mean his name is Christian. Like, Christian Slater. And that boy needed a bomb to take him out. So if they like the actor/character I can see him not being dead by the insane rules of soap operas.

Insatiable Season 2 continues to be a lot of fun.  Yes it is all over the map at times but for the type of story it is telling about Patty and Bob and how Bob finally realizes he helped create a monster it does actually work for me.   I really liked Patty's journey as well as the journey of Nonnie and The two Bobs.    Mangolia''s trip to the black college campus was really well done as well.   Her speech about not having anyone to understand her because she was biracial living in a wealthy white neighborhood and not fitting in with the white people but not quite fitting in with black people either was done well.  

I am hoping this gets a third season beacause season 2 was really fun and I like how Bob was framed as the Pageant Killer and Patty want to avenge him but after thinking her addiction was food now she knows that no food tastes as good as killing feels.

Bob's line though at the end though was really good "I helped her be the most her she could be and what she was, was a monster."

• Love 3

So, I just finished episode 3 and so far, I find season 2 a lot better than season 1. For me, season 1 was too weird, too...campy, I guess? It didn't really have a direction, and they didn't really do a good job on the subject of mental health. Not that they're doing a phenomenal job this year, but at least they're focusing more on the mental health of many of these characters. Plus, the season feels more grounded to reality. I find myself liking and somewhat sympathizing with Patty more than I ever did in season 1. Even though Patty's an outright mess, I can see where her arc is going. 

I'm surprised I even came back for a season 2 after my feelings for season 1, which were not good. 

Episode 4, here I come! 

• Love 3

I was actually a little worried about a second season. These kind of shows tend to go off the rails during that period, but I have been happily surprised through episode 8. It is more controlled chaos. I like how they deepened the relationship between Cora Lee/Bob B. and Bob A/Patty's mom. Many showrunners forget that characters need to be likeable to accept the crazy. 

• Love 4

I just finished the whole season and I have to say I liked it. I don’t know how they’re going to continue this story, but I’d hate it to finish with bob in prison for something he hasn’t done.

Magnolia was annoying to me in the first season, but she was amazing this season. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dreamcatcher said:

I just finished the whole season and I have to say I liked it. I don’t know how they’re going to continue this story, but I’d hate it to finish with bob in prison for something he hasn’t done.

Magnolia was annoying to me in the first season, but she was amazing this season. 

I wouldn't want to see Bob work against Patty the show is at its best when they are together. But also there are no more pageants for Patty to participate in so if there is a third season it would be very different. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

I wouldn't want to see Bob work against Patty the show is at its best when they are together. But also there are no more pageants for Patty to participate in so if there is a third season it would be very different. 

I assume she will participate in “higher-level” pageant or be involved in a pageant in some capacity-it’s a big part of the show. But you’re right, even though Bob realizes that Patty is out of control, I don’t want to see them working against each other. It’s messed up, but the whole show has the same feel to it!

• Love 3

Just finished it, wow! It was a great ride (even better than the 1st, imo), but I don’t see how they’re going to continue it, either.

I was disappointed in Magnolia’s Hughes speech. I feel like every half-black character ever has that same speech; I was hoping Magnolia’s character would feature a different struggle, but I guess not.

”Poor thing’s got her Koreas mixed up” made me LOL. So glad Dixie survived! Her interaction with the scary lawyer was interesting, I had never thought about what goes through someone’s mind when they’re suddenly wheelchair-bound so I appreciated the perspective.

Brick, good guys don’t cheat on their girlfriends. 

If there is a 3rd season, it better include some sort of redemption/recovery for Patty. I can’t see myself rooting for a murderous vigilante.

Edited by link417
Errant apostrophe
  • Love 3

I liked this season, and how emotional it was.  I wasn't expecting such a high body count, lol.  Not sure about the extreme dark turn for Regina.  I thought the mustache cop was going to be the pageant killer. Bob A's ending was also unsatisfying and sad.

• Love 2

Just finished this.  This show is definitely one of my favorites right now.  It's over the top and crazy but that's probably why I love it.  I also liked that Season 2 was a bit more grounded and had a better flow to it.  Season 1 was kind of all over the place but Season 2 was sold storytelling, what with everyone's character development and the ongoing pageant killer mystery. 

I hope this gets renewed for a third and, knowing Netflix, final season.

• Love 3

Just finished the first 9 episodes, although I'm spoiled for the ending of the 10th.

Did not see the cop twist coming. That was funny, and kind of hilarious. All in all, this show had really solid character development throughout season 2- it reflected the show getting away from only Bob/Patty's

I kind of loved that the ending is that Patty is basically Dexter in the body of an 18-year old girl. If she doesn't end up dead or in prison, I figure she'll end up a bounty hunter. Or maybe a CEO.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Woo! It's finally back. I'll be chiming in here but not reading all the comments until I'm finished with the season to avoid spoilers.

LOL! I hadn’t finished watching yet and I got to the 2nd sentence of one comment and was like, “Nope! Bad idea!”

Thank goodness I have the memory of a goldfish.

• LOL 1

Let’s face it the downside of Netflix is that the vast majority of their originals (regardless of how good they are) don’t go on for more then three or four seasons.  The huge huge HUGE!!!!! hits are the exceptions but they are rare so  Insatiable (that got enough controversy buzz to get eyeballs from those expecting a trainwreck) has one or two good years left in it.   So if Netflix doesn’t pull a Netflix and cancels the show without an ending the show could turn into a very dark an funny cautionary tale about getting everything you want.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Let’s face it the downside of Netflix is that the vast majority of their originals (regardless of how good they are) don’t go on for more then three or four seasons.  The huge huge HUGe!!!!! hits are the exceptions but they are rare so so Insatiable (that got enough controversy buzz to get eyeballs from those expecting a trainwreck). has one or two good years in it anyway.  So if Netflix doesn’t pull a Netflix and cancelled the show without an ending the show could turn into a very dark an funny cautionary tale about getting everything you want.

I think 3 seasons would be okay IF they give the story a good, well-thought out satisfying conclusion by the time the finale arrives.

• Love 3
On 10/15/2019 at 8:13 AM, dreamcatcher said:

But you’re right, even though Bob realizes that Patty is out of control, I don’t want to see them working against each other. It’s messed up, but the whole show has the same feel to it!

If the show gets a third (and likely final) season, I feel like these are the two logical conclusions that the show has set up...

1.) The happy ending being that Patty is taught to channel her murderous instincts into something for the greater good, either as a bounty hunter or as a military sharpshooter.

2.) The sad ending where Bob drives off the cliff in a car with Patty, sacrificing himself in a Thelma and Louise moment.

• Love 2

S2E1 So while I remember a lot of things from season 1, watching the premiere made me realize that I don't remember exactly how everything ended. For instance, I was so confused by Bob and Coralee hanging out. 

It was a little all over the place until the pigs. That was interesting. And Patty's comments about eating throughout the episode were the thing that stood out to me. The show definitely has something to say about disordered eating that's getting lost in the whole murder cover up plot and relationship melodrama. Not that I dislike either but the social commentary is not working TOGETHER with the plot elements. It's just sitting on top awkwardly. The one moment that really worked was when Patty decided to lie on stage and put lie to every time someone says its easy to change an addictive behavior and that things that probably require therapy are just about willpower. 

I thought they were somehow going to find Stella Rose. I wasn't even thinking they'd kill Roxy. Even now it feels weird after all the revelations last season. They won't have to play them out now. I don't love when a show introduces bombshells and then kills characters or sends them away so the revelations didn't matter for much. Also, I like Chloe Bridges it was a disappointment to lose the actress. Striking image though with the bouquet in her mouth.

S2E2 I don't really want Cruz to stick around because Bob's love life is complicated enough and also I really can't see Vincent as anyone but Josh Chan yet and it's distracting.

There's a Junkyard Bob! He really did get the worst name. Unless there's another Bob.

I'm intrigued that they're developing the eating disorder idea.

I remember Shelby getting a makeover but otherwise I have completely forgotten how this character fit into the story.

Patty looked really cute in her yellow memorial outfit. I'm disappointed that with Patty upgrading to a real pageant (not Miss Magic Jesus) we got to see so little of it at the start of the season.

Patty's singing voice is terrible. Isn't the actress one of those singing Disney channel girls?

The Regina George-ing of characters is getting out of hand.

4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

S2E2 I don't really want Cruz to stick around because Bob's love life is complicated enough and also I really can't see Vincent as anyone but Josh Chan yet and it's distracting.

I never stopped seeing him as Josh Chan through the course of the season. It was really distracting because I was like, um...Josh would never do that!

S2E3 I think it was smart of them to find a way for Dee and Patty to connect so Dee would have more of a reason to be in storylines but I still hate her as a character. She's so one-note. I get that she doesn't like Patty but that's her defining characteristic at the moment and it doesn't really help make a case for her in a show that's about Patty. It's like being a character who doesn't believe in ghosts on the show about a medium solving crimes. It feels like they will be doing something since she's apparently undercover given her other secret phone calls. 

Wait, I'm confused. Is this a different character or did they replace the Baldwin brother with another actor?

Dixie's storyline being an excuse to talk about disability issues felt as weird as when they brought in a trans actress to talk about body image. Like, it's way too after school special for a show that is otherwise camp and ridiculous. 

I mean, I feel like you could argue that was an accidental death. But Patty's really racking up the body count. I'm not sure if it worked but at least Patty was smart enough to try and wipe her fingerprints off the phone.

S2E4: Admittedly the fact that they put special effects makeup on Patty's not-dad was pretty cool.

LOVED Coralee's blue outfit this episode. Just the right kind of matchy-matchy.

Yes, Patty broke the rules but Dee was a terrible sponsor. You shouldn't be that openly reluctant to sponsor someone.

A little bored. I feel like stuff is happening but they just keep shuffling the characters around and putting new pairings together. That said, maybe this is just filler to set things up for future episodes.

• Love 1

S2E5: This was interesting. Glad they finally recognized that Magnolia's life has been pretty crazy lately.

LOL, Magnolia describing Brick's kissing got a solid laugh out of me.

Stu the Kissing Bandit was surprisingly not the horror show I expected. Consent first. 

Ah! Dixie's birth family! Did we know she was kidnapped?

I don't really get how I'm supposed to feel about Other Bob's dad. He's terrible in every way except he kept his wife's suicide a secret to protect his son so he does care? What?

If there's ever been a Chekhov's gun...

Magnolia's monologue about not knowing where she fit in was solid. 

Yay! They found Pierre!

I do appreciate Patty's quick thinking in coming up with a lie to throw off Magnolia. A big problem in season 1 was how stupid she was and how she would fly off the handle and then have a huge problem.

The pink princess gown really is the prettier one. With all the regular high school drama at the end I feel like I was suddenly watching an MTV show. Specifically the one where the characters worked at not-Disneyworld. But I didn't hate it. I don't need murder and mayhem all the time.

S2E6: On the one hand, Patty's jealousy really stems from her insecurity. On the other hand, she does have a valid reason to feel jealous. Magnolia still wants Brick and Brick was just kissing her. Circumstantially, she's justified. 

I wonder why they wrote the Chois off the show. Dixie owning the Wiener Taco doesn't really change much. Did the actors get other work?

Henry IS hot. The casting director for this show clearly has a certain male body type in mind. But are they going anywhere with his character? Who knows? So he's a stripper and he's going to teach Patty to dance. And with Christian out of the picture, I'm guessing he's a new alternate love interest. But surely she won't end up with someone so stable. I don't think his meditation or whatever will help with her body issues. I thought the capoeira might channel her rage but it was more dance routine than aggressive fight routine.

Who put Patty in that weird 70's dress for the meet and greet?

It's terrible advice but after talking to Gloria, I'm interested to see how Patty takes control. This season is meandering a bit. A lot of stuff is happening but it's not being developed.

28 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

It's terrible advice but after talking to Gloria, I'm interested to see how Patty takes control. This season is meandering a bit. A lot of stuff is happening but it's not being developed.

It all comes together in the season finale.

S2E7: Whoa. Someone was trying to Nancy Kerrigan Patty. Loved Nonnie stepping in to save the day. There hasn't been enough of her in season 2. 

Dee writing an expose is not that interesting. A webzine??? What year is this?

Jonathan? He seems okay so far but I'm disappointed Dee is kind of being written out. This show does not have a good track record of developing the stories of its POC characters.

As soon as they said Heather was a twin, I figured it out.

Oh, THERE'S that capoiera rage. And Bob's gun!

Whoa, the body count is getting crazy. This feels like that Christina Ricci Lizzie Borden show.

S2E8: I knew things weren't going anywhere with Henry. What was the point of that? Just to set up the capoiera?

Well, I'm glad things seem to be going better for Bob. That was depressing and way too messy for a while.

WHOA. Heather Christina whatever whatever just got exploded on a parade float. As someone who recently watched Drop Dead Gorgeous, I got that.

WHOA... the other two girls, too!?! This is my problem with this show. I'm cool with it being a cartoon but then they try to make it serious. When this kind of nonsense happens you can't also be an after-school special kind of a show. 

The National Prison Coalition's Misguided Beauty Competition XD When this show is good, it's good.

What? Is Cruz more sinister than he first appeared? What is HAPPENING?

Whoa. Not expecting that. Shelby is brilliant.

S2E9 Well, I wasn't expecting that. I could see how he stumbled into crazy stalker territory but I didn't predict him watching their first kiss.

Weird that colleges somehow found out about Nonnie's bribe/police work.

Ladybomb actually sounds pretty cool.

So that's where Stella Rose has been.

I lot of crazy things have been happening. I should be enjoying it. But the pacing is off for this season. 

S2E10 Well, I'm glad Stella Rose didn't just disappear. It figures she'd want revenge.

You'd think the capoiera would make Patty a better fighter. Unless Stella Rose just has lunatic strength.

How many dead bodies is that? Christian + Stella Rose + Roxy (though Patty didn't kill her) + Gordy + the 3 drug dealers + the three pageant girls on the float (though Patty didn't kill them) 

Patty shoving the body into the suitcase was fun. I don't know why this show isn't more fun and camp. Crazy things are happening. It just doesn't have a lot of energy. I feel like it must be the direction.

What is going on in Masonville? How were they the only two candidates for mayor?

Dixie's outfit at the mall was great.

The makeup Bob put on her was way too heavy.

Yay! We got an actual pageant. This episode was very Miss Congeniality.

Debby Ryan did a great job in the dressing room when the truth came out. Well acted.

A Magnolia/Patty friendship in season 3 could be fun. Brick is nice to look at but he's not interesting enough for them to be fighting over him. Magnolia and Patty are two of the most interesting characters on the show. They should be in more scenes together.

I should have suspected Regina but she was this goofy background character.

Patty won!

For some reason it wasn't as fun as it should have been. And it was hella messy. But I love this show. This is the show UnREAL wishes it had been since season 1. Compared to so many other shows it's campy and soapy but it doesn't drag things out so it's completely tedious. 

I think the show has been careful so far. I mean, yes, it's deranged logic and she's gone overboard but technically Patty has killed in self-defense (Christian, Stella Rose, the drug dealers) or accidentally (Gordy). Regina would be pre-meditated and arguing that she "deserves" it doesn't quite work. The twist this episode that Patty might be an unreliable narrator (e.g. that she actually pushed Gordy instead of letting him fall) was interesting. 

"Maybe I wasn't a victim. I was empowered. That was the kind of lady I wanted to be." If that isn't a loaded quote...

I HOPE WE GET A SEASON 3.

• Love 1

If there is a 3rd season, it better include some sort of redemption/recovery for Patty. I can’t see myself rooting for a murderous vigilante.

So if Netflix doesn’t pull a Netflix and cancels the show without an ending the show could turn into a very dark an funny cautionary tale about getting everything you want.

I'd be content with 3 seasons. 4 at the most. I enjoy the characters but I think they'd run out of believable story and things would get stale. This is not a slice of life or a procedural. A wacky show like this should burn hot and fast.

I actually can see myself rooting for a murderous vigilante. I think part of the problem of season 1 was that our goal was supposedly to make Patty a pageant queen. But instead of being a former fat girl who could use her intelligence in her new body to her advantage, she was dumb and temperamental and kept getting herself into messes. The show was still trying to be somewhat normal so there would be slight repercussions but then the madness would continue. In season 2 the messes got bigger (6 dead bodies!). But the train kept chugging along. If anything, the Overeaters Anonymous meetings were a sign of how Patty could not heal. They even gave her the worst sponsor in Dee. The build up of season 2 has been capoiera and killing and giving Patty's rage an outlet. Now she's thinking smarter. She wasn't supposed to be a pageant princess with a perfect boyfriend. She was supposed to become this killing machine. This is the most her she can be. 

The show has left the door open for a backtrack. Maybe she isn't an unreliable narrator. Maybe Patty really was a victim and choosing to feel empowered instead of scared. Blah blah ugliness of society applauding her and rewarding her for a self-improvement journey with such a high body count. But I don't know. I kind of want to see where this goes with Patty as a killer. Knowing now that Lauren Gussis worked on Dexter since season 1, they could definitely be going there.

It will be a disappointment to see Nonnie working against Patty. Bob might be sidelined in prison. But that could be a way of getting the adults back into the plot as Bob Armstrong works against Patty through Coralee and maybe even Bob Barnard. Possible allies could be her mom and Magnolia who at least in the finale were the ones who decided to support her. I don't know how much they'd want to call in Michael Ian Black but there's always that threat of secrets being revealed at any point.

I just got done with season 2 and I really loved it. I was watching it on the train into work and had to stifle a few laughs. 

My only complaint is that sometimes I felt Patti was getting lost in her own story. I wouldn't be so miserable if next season the show got back to mostly Bob and her. 

I still don't think Patti is a murderer though. Unless i missed it almost everyone she killed was trying to kill her. 

I see this as 3 seasons because Patti I think now has to be unmasked as a killer and then there is the fallout. 

I think they can backtrack on the tag to the season but I kind of think Regina deserves to die. Anyone else? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BooBear said:

I think they can backtrack on the tag to the season but I kind of think Regina deserves to die. Anyone else? 

Dying might be too much, but she should definitely be brought to justice so Bob can be free.